• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No one is gonna talk about @Michael the Spikester post about the tweet mentions 6/11 but the recent tweet is dated for 6/13?

Perhaps the date was wrong, but why Saturday? That hasn't happened before in recent memory.

EDIT: So I guess the lapse in time was to correct the date. Still, Saturday seems weird to have a showcase..or maybe not.
Oh yeah, you're right. They show different days. Weird. Thursday would have made much more sense.

Edit: Maybe it got changed because Nintendo has something going on Thursday :foe!:

Only half joking

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
No one is gonna talk about @Michael the Spikester post about the tweet mentions 6/11 but the recent tweet is dated for 6/13?

Perhaps the date was wrong, but why Saturday? That hasn't happened before in recent memory.
Again, it isn't a Nintendo official livestream. The channel it's on is a Twitch/Amazon thing.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
So yeah, sorry for the constant pessimism that I used to bring to this thread all of the time (I used to be known as nessdeltarune during this period).
It's legitimately real good to see you back, man. How are you doing?
Hmm... weird that it was the official Amazon Video Games twitter that tweeted the Sword and Shield showcase and not Nintendo. Hmm... Nonetheless, at least we have Sony's PS5 virtual presentation tomorrow. Hopefully some noteworthy game announcements/reveals happen (like... a new Crash Bandicoot game).
I'd sell my ****ing soul for those Silent Hill rumours to be true, not gonna lie. It's my second-most anticipated announcement of this "E3", second only to Geno. PS4 had some killer exclusives, and I'm real interested to see what's new this gen.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Something I must point out is that Nintendo's Twitter has been strangely quiet. The last tweet they posted was from 5 days ago. This could be a moment of silence because of the George Floyd situation, but its still suspicious nonetheless.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Something I must point out is that Nintendo's Twitter has been strangely quiet. The last tweet they posted was from 5 days ago. This could be a moment of silence because of the George Floyd situation, but its still suspicious nonetheless.
They started tweeting again today. Animal Crossing and clubhouse games stuff.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This is going to turn into a long week lol

I'm already starting to flashbacks of November 2018 disappointment again. I've never been the optimistic type and it's been such a trend of seeing coincidences and good vibes for Geno just turn into a disaster. I really hope this isn't the case this time.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Oh I get that. Just interesting , nonetheless. Also, good to see you back Nanami77 Nanami77
I may not stick around for long tbh. I’m only becoming active again because ARMS and FP7 could be revealed at any day now, and the Heihachi thing spreading on GameFaqs REALLY piqued my interest.

After that, I’ll likely be gone again. Speculation really got boring until today for me.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I may not stick around for long tbh. I’m only becoming active again because ARMS and FP7 could be revealed at any day now, and the Heihachi thing spreading on GameFaqs REALLY piqued my interest.

After that, I’ll likely be gone again. Speculation really got boring until today for me.
Honestly, that has been the same for me. (Or rather...Persona 5 R and Final Fantasy 7 Remake took ALL of my time lol) but yeah, things are starting to pick back up with NEW stuff as opposed to recycled bits from months back.

cool6012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cool6012
3DS FC
5455-9651-7560
Daisy splitting off from Peach was mere convenience. Dark Pit splitting off from Pit was actually well justified. Basically, Dark Pit couldn't use The Three Sacred Treasures like Pit could, so he'd have to use something else. In order to avoid making something entirely new, they repurposed Zelda and Shiek's Final Smash into a sniper shot from his Dark Pit Staff.

I just wanna say that the final smash argument is genuinely terrible. I've played through Uprising and I dont understand why they couldn't just handwave it and say "Palutena let Dark Pit borrow the Threee Sacred Treasures".

Also all the Koopalings can transform into Shadow Mario which is 100x more wrong than DP using the Sacred Treasures.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
A good song for the chaotic energy of this thread right now:

I have a feeling something like this will play in Geno's trailer

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You know, at the very least this drought has been a lot more tolerable than the wait between Terry and Byleth. Sure, we've basically only learned the franchise the next character comes from, and actual worthwhile Nintendo news has been scarce since September, I mean, the only real big things since then have been Clubhouse Games, which is out in 2 weeks, and Origami King, which depending on who you ask is either something they are ""cautiously optimistic"" about or something they see as the continued mismanagement and death of what was once one of Nintendo's most consistently good set of franchises (Gee, can you guess which one I fall under?). But at least we aren't dealing with endless debates about goddamn "de-confirmation lists" and insiders switching around names everyday refusing to just say who the hell they think/were told it is. Sure it's less interesting but at least we can focus arguments on more "real evidence" and theories rather than just having 2 people dictate the entire discussion.

Of course now that I say this some guy on Resetera or Gamefaqs is going to say "Oh by the way Min-Min is in lol" and I just start banging my head into my desk again.
Seems like we've reached this point again.
tumblr_nbhpj8xMGy1qg6rkio1_1280.gif

Well, atleast we'll have a concrete answer to this in the next week or two rather than dragging this out for months.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

2020 in a nutshell: as if Smash news being delayed for now almost 3 months didn't suck enough, here's a global pandemic, depression, the Amazon and Australia literally being on fire, everything being cancelled, and major civil unrest around the world. Give it a few days and the nukes will probably start flying too.

Firox

Smash Master
So Nintendo just keeps dropping these little shovelware tidbits while killing us with anticipation for some real news. It's almost like they're purposely trying to avoid spilling anything people actually WANT to see.

Nintendo: "OK, so here we have Bobo the clown's Adventure for virtual console, oh, and here he have 3-4 Switch, a party game you'll never want to play, oh and let's not forget about a shiny DLC eevee for SwSh (only $68.99 plus tax), OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT THE MAIN EVENT!!!.........some limited time only outfits for Animal Crossing that you can only get by fishing during the summer solstice at 3 in the morning!!! YAY!!! See you all in December!.....bring money..."

Give it a few days and the nukes will probably start flying too.
SHHHHH! SHHHHH! We were saving those for 2021.....

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I just wanna say that the final smash argument is genuinely terrible. I've played through Uprising and I dont understand why they couldn't just handwave it and say "Palutena let Dark Pit borrow the Threee Sacred Treasures".
That's because, for whatever reason, Smash is considered part of the Kid Icarus lore, and in the lore Dark Pit allies himself with Viridi following the end of Uprising. While they're on relatively friendly terms, Viridi is still considered an opposing force to Palutena. The idea that Palutena would hand off her most valuable weapons to someone who is now Viridi's answer to Pit makes no sense.

I will say for the record that if they did decide to make Dark Pit an alt for Pit, I wouldn't really give a damn.

Also all the Koopalings can transform into Shadow Mario which is 100x more wrong than DP using the Sacred Treasures.
Not sure how you figure that. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are all basically on the same side, so it would stand to reason that Bowser Jr. would be alright with lending them the Paintbrush in order to utilize the Shadow Mario transformation. Not that they should even have ownership of it anyways since one of the endings for Sunshine shows Il' Piantissimo aquiring the Paintbrush after the game. This is why you can play as both Bowser Jr. and Shadow Mario at the same time in Mario Gold: Toadstool Tour.

The fact that I know this much about Mario lore makes me want to die.

2020 in a nutshell: as if Smash news being delayed for now almost 3 months didn't suck enough, here's a global pandemic, depression, the Amazon and Australia literally being on fire, everything being cancelled, and major civil unrest around the world. Give it a few days and the nukes will probably start flying too.
And Yellowstone, don't forget Yellowstone!

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I've considered straight up making a meme of Booster Hill except it's just 2020 running away with Geno with all the barrels and Snifits representing all the garbage that has happened in this absolute dumpster fire of a year.

Heoj

Smash Ace
it might be a stretch but i really feel like that amazon sword/shield thing might have been a misunderstanding and that they mixed the date with something that is happening on the 11th

Again, might be a stretch but its something im willing to bet on.

edit: i didnt realised i made a cool pun with that last sentence:drflip:

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I will literally not even care if it's just Springman and we don't get any other news.
As long as it's an ARMS character that's already an AT/Spirit, my own spirits will be lifted

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Today feels good now that Geno and Heihachi are in the limelight.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Nintendo’s Twitter Account today:

D7B8845C-4E56-4110-B595-4E3B7A184F74.jpeg

Anyways, bad meme aside, at least they’re back to posting things? And no matter what, we are guaranteed to get some Smash info this month. And I’d totally be okay with the Hero idea for ARMS. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara are all good picks so I could realistically see them getting picked. It would be best if they could somehow work in the differences in gameplay between them, but it’d probably just be differing animations. At least there would be four for the price of one and potentially please more people?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
If Geno does end up getting included, then Ultimate will officially be the first Smash game where I will have more then one main. With how long I have been waiting for both Banjo and Geno, I would most definitely main the both of them. I'm pretty great with Banjo to the point where it almost feels impossible to drop him as a main at this point, and with how large of a roster Ultimate has, I almost feel it is impossible at this point to main just one character out of, soon to be, 80+ characters. If Geno gets in, I will just double main him along with Banjo & Kazooie

MattX20

Smash Hero
Today feels good now that Geno and Heihachi are in the limelight.

The post only claimed part of another crossover, not Smash related. Otherwise, Heihachi would've been mentioned as part of the Smash stuff. There are plenty of other fighting games beyond Smash it could be a reference to

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman

I AT LEAST WANT TO SEE A TRAILER FOR THE GODZILLA VS. KONG MOVIE FIRST BEFORE THE NUKES GO OFF!

MattX20

Smash Hero
You see Nintendo? This is what happens when audiences are starved for information for so long, they get crazy!

D

Deleted member

Ok, Geno crew, let me start off by saying that ultimately, this means nothing. That's my conclusion on this glitch and special thanks to Slender Slender for putting the big look into what we know about this glitch while peabrains like me were out playing World of Light.

This kind Twitter user posted back in May that he noticed a glitch with Sheik in World of Light... on his third playthrough.

So, it's a totally normal, natural reaction to start to put two and two together and consider the following:
Sheik is Geno's spirit battle.
Sheik's Side B has a relatively unique function in which you can blow it up at almost any time after deploying the move, sort of like a timed hit.
Sheik is a fast and Geno is a fast.
They're using Sheik as a base for playable Geno!!!1!

Again, thanks to Slender's help, this thread turned up showing that the glitch has been known for a bit longer than Jonny Tompkins' posting about it, and it includes the reason for the glitch: item attraction ruins the move.

If you're not aware, Sheik's side B is somewhat unique in that it does not produce a traveling explosion similar to Din's Fire, but instead produces an item that explodes on semi-command, closer to something like one of the Links' bombs. However, all of those bombs are on a timer and explode regardless, or are under the complete control of the Link that summoned the bomb, where Sheik's little bomb has to be activated, like pulling the pin out of a grenade. If at any point Sheik is hit or something affects that bomb, the move essentially fizzles, leaving a little throwable item that doesn't explode. This is the way the move worked in Smash 4, as well.

So, as you can read in that GameFAQs thread, the skill "Healing Item Attraction" will move the bomb, thus disabling it. What I find very interesting is that it will function this way no matter how far you throw the bomb, maybe it's affected immediately? Who knows. But, here's a theory for why this is happening so that we don't have to wonder if Sheik is being used as the base for any given DLC character, including Geno:

Patch 7.0 applied various buffs to Sheik, and most interestingly, "The explosion can no longer be negated" in reference to the Side B. This is illustrated well in Beefy Smash Doods' video here:
https://youtu.be/cCqn1fm2S1Y?t=110
(I am leaving this as a link so you can go to the timestamp, embeds tend to break this)

Note how when Fox interrupts the explosion, he takes about 1.6% damage from the "vortex" that the bomb creates before exploding. In the "After" footage, Fox seems to take a bit more damage from the "vortex", followed by the decent damage done by the explosion itself, which suggests that maybe (I don't know for certain), in order to make it where the explosion could not be interrupted, the vortex or maybe the explosion itself was changed to no longer be a tangible explosion hitbox, but a healing field with a negative heal rate. Because of this, since the bomb is still very much an item, the "Healing Item Attraction" will attract the item which qualifies as a healing item, despite the fact that it does negative healing, hence why it only started happening after 7.0, and why it only happens in World of Light, assumedly unless you are using a spirit that attracts healing items.

Again, this is totally a theory as to why it took until 7.0 to notice this behavior, and may not be the case. I have never once looked at the code of this game.

Just in case you skipped over all this complicated "text" business and would like a conclusion: this is likely a glitch with an easy explanation and there's no proof that any character is being based on Sheik.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So the Amiibo restock is on the 12th and not getting delayed, as my KKR amiibo just got shipped today, the 10th (just got the email no more than a few minutes ago; 3:30p EST). Does this mean the restocks have nothing to actually do with Smash? :/ Guess I can remove the Polish amiibo restock from The List™.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Does anyone have any proof that Verg said this stuff? Because he didn't post it on gamefaqs which is his usual spot and Sabi, who like it or not has an impeccable track record, says this stuff doesn't seem accurate. I think we should all take a moment and see if there's any actual proof before we look too deep into this.

Edit: to show he didn't post it on gamefaqs
View attachment 274367
Verge.jpg
I don't think this Verge stuff is credible at all, its supposedly a DM to Sabi. Also my friend sent me this image he found from 4chan, It goes into more detail based on the stuff earlier.

Im not looking too much into this or taking it seriously. There isn't really any way to prove it unless Verge himself came out and confirmed this stuff.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Ok, Geno crew, let me start off by saying that ultimately, this means nothing. That's my conclusion on this glitch and special thanks to Slender Slender for putting the big look into what we know about this glitch while peabrains like me were out playing World of Light.

This kind Twitter user posted back in May that he noticed a glitch with Sheik in World of Light... on his third playthrough.

So, it's a totally normal, natural reaction to start to put two and two together and consider the following:
Sheik's Side B has a relatively unique function in which you can blow it up at almost any time after deploying the move, sort of like a timed hit.

Again, thanks to Slender's help, this thread turned up showing that the glitch has been known for a bit longer than Jonny Tompkins' posting about it, and it includes the reason for the glitch: item attraction ruins the move.

If you're not aware, Sheik's side B is somewhat unique in that it does not produce a traveling explosion similar to Din's Fire, but instead produces an item that explodes on semi-command, closer to something like one of the Links' bombs. However, all of those bombs are on a timer and explode regardless, or are under the complete control of the Link that summoned the bomb, where Sheik's little bomb has to be activated, like pulling the pin out of a grenade. If at any point Sheik is hit or something affects that bomb, the move essentially fizzles, leaving a little throwable item that doesn't explode. This is the way the move worked in Smash 4, as well.

So, as you can read in that GameFAQs thread, the skill "Healing Item Attraction" will move the bomb, thus disabling it. What I find very interesting is that it will function this way no matter how far you throw the bomb, maybe it's affected immediately? Who knows. But, here's a theory for why this is happening so that we don't have to wonder if Sheik is being used as the base for any given DLC character, including Geno:

Patch 7.0 applied various buffs to Sheik, and most interestingly, "The explosion can no longer be negated" in reference to the Side B. This is illustrated well in Beefy Smash Doods' video here:
(I am leaving this as a link so you can go to the timestamp, embeds tend to break this)

Note how when Fox interrupts the explosion, he takes about 1.6% damage from the "vortex" that the bomb creates before exploding. In the "After" footage, Fox seems to take a bit more damage from the "vortex", followed by the decent damage done by the explosion itself, which suggests that maybe (I don't know for certain), in order to make it where the explosion could not be interrupted, the vortex or maybe the explosion itself was changed to no longer be a tangible explosion hitbox, but a healing field with a negative heal rate. Because of this, since the bomb is still very much an item, the "Healing Item Attraction" will attract the item which qualifies as a healing item, despite the fact that it does negative healing, hence why it only started happening after 7.0, and why it only happens in World of Light, assumedly unless you are using a spirit that attracts healing items.

Again, this is totally a theory as to why it took until 7.0 to notice this behavior, and may not be the case. I have never once looked at the code of this game.

Just in case you skipped over all this complicated "text" business and would like a conclusion: this is likely a glitch with an easy explanation and there's no proof that any character is being based on Sheik.
****ing bravo, this is fascinating

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
The post only claimed part of another crossover, not Smash related. Otherwise, Heihachi would've been mentioned as part of the Smash stuff. There are plenty of other fighting games beyond Smash it could be a reference to
I mean, theres always a chance it could be for Smash, right? If Vergeben knew 100% what he was in, he likely would’ve said so. So I’d say that is still up in the air.

I’ve also been calling Heihachi as a frontrunner for FP2 for months now, so if its Smash, I won’t be surprised in the slightest.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I mean, theres always a chance it could be for Smash, right? If Vergeben knew 100% what he was in, he likely would’ve said so. So I’d say that is still up in the air.

I’ve also been calling Heihachi as a frontrunner for FP2 for months now, so if its Smash, I won’t be surprised in the slightest.
Geese was in Tekken, so Heihachi's probably in the next KOF

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120

I love to see theories, and speculation based on characters. Its really interesting because if a lot of this is true, imagine Geno having similar movement to Shiek (Meaning if Geno was based on Sheik/Shiek's moves, imagine them keeping the same movement/fallspeed as Shiek, I think that could be interesting)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So the Amiibo restock is on the 12th and not getting delayed, as my KKR amiibo just got shipped today, the 10th (just got the email no more than a few minutes ago; 3:30p EST). Does this mean the restocks have nothing to actually do with Smash? :/ Guess I can remove the Polish amiibo restock from The List™.
Retail decisions are made months out and we have enough evidence to suggest that things were once again delayed. Nintendo's E3 would have been yesterday but it wasn't and that decision was probably literally made last week.

D

Deleted member

I love to see theories, and speculation based on characters. Its really interesting because if a lot of this is true, imagine Geno having similar movement to Shiek (Meaning if Geno was based on Sheik/Shiek's moves, imagine them keeping the same movement/fallspeed as Shiek, I think that could be interesting)
Well, most of the point to that post was to suggest that there's no proof that Sheik is being used as the base for Geno or anyone else. We assume that characters become base for another character so that the team can rapidly develop a new fighter, but I don't know that we necessarily have any proof of that for Ultimate.

I know that I would absolutely love to have Geno be similar to Sheik, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom