• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I get the feeling Geno's trailer is either going to focus on him aiding Rosalina or showing up in a forest as a nod to when you meet him initially

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
For the longest time, there have been a few game franchises which I've always wanted to see either be expanded, or be given continuation, or closure. Some examples are on continuation are Bomberman (64, and 2nd Attack), Super Adventure Island, among others. After some time I realized that a possible reason (and perhaps the most likely reason) game developers don't go ham on their franchises is because if they did, what would be left for future entries in a series? Fighting video games on the other hand have an interesting way of going about this. Most aren't sought out for their lore, but for their roster and gameplay. In the early entries one was introduced to unique fighters, and as sequels came out, the roster grew, and other times the roster shrunk. In very rare occasions have fighting games brought back the entire history of a franchise's roster. Then, in late 2018 we are presented with the most ambitious fighting game to date in terms of roster, stages, music selection, and additional content in the form of spirits, assist trophies, single player game modes, etc.; Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. In base game we got the ENTIRETY of the Super Smash Bros. historic roster. After a successful launch, and the addition of more, brand new fighters joining the roster, the message became loud and clear, and challenged the mentality of "leaving some for later". As Sakurai stated in one of his stream-like presentations, he wishes to continue improving upon the current record (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate) since he thinks that such a game (or more so, such a coming-together of so many fighters; especially third party ones) may never be possible again.

Fighters Pass Vol. 2 may in fact drive this defying will even further with its contents. Sakurai is committed to this grandiose creation, and certainly Nintendo knows.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

current mood while still waiting for the reveal.....
You think you've got it rough? Apparently that's what our resident OffBi OffBi looks like all of the time... hope he's doing alright. It looks like he has been through a skeleton.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Smash at E3 and cheeky bull**** practically go together like peanut butter and chocolate so I feel like there's going to be "a twist" of some kind this year:

2006- Oh hey, here's a surprise Smash reveal in the dead of night and also, **** the rules, here's a third party character!

2013- You're happy with Villager and Megaman? **** you, y'all get Wii Fit too despite literally no one asking!

2014- Here's Miis and Palutena! *12 hours later* Surprise mother ****ers, it's Pac-Man! WAKKA WAKKA *********!

2015- Yeah, yeah... We know Roy and Ryu leaked but guess what? They're all coming out today! **** you!

2018 - Remember how we slowly revealed all the veterans in Brawl and Smash 4 over the course of over a year? **** you, EVERYONE IS HERE in about the time it takes to microwave popcorn! Shove this in your cornhole too, here's Daisy and Ridley too! 66 characters in less than half an hour! **** you!

2019- Hero or Banjo; who's being announced today? **** you, you're getting both! Also, Hero is getting 4 seperate character ALTs despite it breaking a 30 year precedent that different DQ Heroes can't appear together because, **** you, that's why!
If a bonus character exists, I could definitely see it being E3's Smash Surprise this year. Would make for an unexpected surprise

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
You think you've got it rough? Apparently that's what our resident OffBi OffBi looks like all of the time... hope he's doing alright. It looks like he has been through a skeleton.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Listen bub, if I meander into this thread once every couple days and see you making puns again then I'm gonna have a bone to pick with you.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, Dark Pit wasn't outright revealed(as he wasn't actually known as playable till later), but the Mii Fighters were literally shown as 3 characters in the same way the Koopalings and Bowser Jr. were. They put clear emphasis on multiple forms there.

However, those were also all base game. DLC sounds plausible if we're talking about a Bonus Echo. I doubt one, but that would make sense, especially if it's something like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. It does go against Sakurai's statement of "exactly 6 characters left", though. But that statement could've been made before the decision(I don't consider this likely, and admittedly I feel it's a massive stretch).

The only actual DLC double reveal is Byleth and Corrin having a gender swap alt, though. Byleth more specifically actually notes it with "Byleth recruits Byleth!"
https://sourcegaming.info/2020/03/09/this-is-my-role-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-598/

Here's this translation. At the beginning he says 6 more characters were announced, which isn't false because that's exactly how they presented it in January. For the rest of the column he refers to the DLC as 6 sets. Of course, it's a translation but there's no lie here. Just because it drives people crazy, I'm willing to entertain the angle of "truth through omission" in that, yes, six sets have been planned but we don't totally know what all is in all the sets and/or between sets. Again, I never underestimate Sakurai's capacity for cheeky bull**** so, like Season 2 even becoming a thing last summer, I feel like there's enough to suggest that it could happen.

link2702

Smash Champion
You know I wonder what happened to some of the other Geno Fans who we've not seen in quite some time.....think they'll comeback when he's finally revealed?

Like @Zack E. , or Ovaltine Ovaltine ?

I've been waiting for his reveal for over a decade now, sometimes active here during the time like now, others lurking here but active at other places like IGN, but always supporting Geno since I first found out sakurai actually liked the character years ago. Also curious if other supporters who haven't been active here in forever might pop back in after so long and seeing Geno finally revealed.

I think i'll be just relieved when it's finally done. Feel like I can finally hang up my hat for the speculation cycles every new smash game. Whether he comes back in a new game, or was like so many other characters in ultimate will be, just a one and done character for this game, I'll know I finally got to see it happen at least once officially.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I made a ridiculous picture of Mario and Bowser getting ready to fight on an expensive chandelier in a house for fun, resembling the first time they fought back in Super Mario RPG. I had a blast making this.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Listen bub, if I meander into this thread once every couple days and see you making puns again then I'm gonna have a bone to pick with you.
IMG_20200203_223705.jpg

Actual Garbage, my boy, you and I have both been around these parts for quite a while so I must ask... do you remember that I am a young zoomer?! I'm young and full of energy, while you guys are dinosaur bones at this point. Heck, Blathers is gonna have a field day assessing you all:ultpacman:

(...well, maybe not you since you're, y'know, "actual garbage." However, your pun did really "rattle my bones" though.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
https://sourcegaming.info/2020/03/09/this-is-my-role-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-598/

Here's this translation. At the beginning he says 6 more characters were announced, which isn't false because that's exactly how they presented it in January. For the rest of the column he refers to the DLC as 6 sets. Of course, it's a translation but there's no lie here. Just because it drives people crazy, I'm willing to entertain the angle of "truth through omission" in that, yes, six sets have been planned but we don't totally know what all is in all the sets and/or between sets. Again, I never underestimate Sakurai's capacity for cheeky bull**** so, like Season 2 even becoming a thing last summer, I feel like there's enough to suggest that it could happen.
"In other words, after we finish putting all our effort into these, work on Smash Bros Ultimate will finally be finished."

There's nothing cheeky here to me. It's clear that this is it.

I don't think he's trying to lie or is bending the truth at all. And I don't take rumors too seriously either. I don't think we're getting a single bonus character. It'd be great to be wrong on that too. Note that this translation took a while to come out, and I've seen the original Japanese text when Google Translated(which was pretty much the same point). It's not just "no plans" but "this is it for DLC" is a very clear statement here.

Just to clarify on why I don't think we have a chance for any bonus echoes/characters at all. Do note I could see something like Ribbon Girl coming up as a last second one, but it's only because she didn't work out as an Alt and as this was written in March, that means he'd have... two months, so it's plausible. But I don't put stock into this idea, since he's a lot more clear on the finality of it. It's not just "we have no plans", after all.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Welp...I feel it is time to return to semi-active rather than lurking in the views. Geno gang, RISE UP!!!

Potentially, the time is arriving for a Smash reveal. Whether its just the arms rep or, as well as, number 7. Heres to hoping its Geno!

Geno punch.jpg

Credit to https://twitter.com/NintenMessenger

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I know I haven’t said anything here in a while, but I’ve been lurking and it’s amazing how much of a chance Geno has to get in this month. I’ve been playing SMRPG for the first time (because I’ve always really wanted Geno, mostly because I thought he always looked like a cool character but also because of the fanbase, I never actually played the game) and I have to say it’s slowly becoming one of my favorite Mario RPGs. The dialogue, the animations, and especially the music. Everything about it, basically. I got to around Booster Tower today before stopping. Either way, I hope he gets announced soon.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I know I haven’t said anything here in a while, but I’ve been lurking and it’s amazing how much of a chance Geno has to get in this month. I’ve been playing SMRPG for the first time (because I’ve always really wanted Geno, mostly because I thought he always looked like a cool character but also because of the fanbase, I never actually played the game) and I have to say it’s slowly becoming one of my favorite Mario RPGs. The dialogue, the animations, and especially the music. Everything about it, basically. I got to around Booster Tower today before stopping. Either way, I hope he gets announced soon.
I'm glad to hear you have been enjoying the game! It's definitely an extremely exciting time to Geno fans for sure. We hope to hear something real soon and we're glad to have you giving the game a go and being apart of this!

T2by4

Smash Lord
1588042214528.jpg

So what happens if Max Chads wins?

Wh-what's gonna happen to us?? He's not an AT or Spirit? Are we doomed if he wins?

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
View attachment 274222

Wh-what's gonna happen to us?? He's not an AT or Spirit? Are we doomed if he wins?
If it is and we don't get any reveal after them, then it's just a bit more enduring of "spirits and assists de-confirm"

So the usual pretty much.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 274222

It'll be concerning, and I'll definitely be a little less confident, but I dont think it'll eliminate Geno completely. It largely will depend on the reasoning. If Sakurai himself states they added him because they wanted a character that wasn't a spirit, then yeah, not a good look. But if he was added because Sakurai/Nintendo wanted him and Spirits didn't play a factor, then we should still be in a good position

pinshadow

Smash Lord
View attachment 274222

Real talk, does anyone actually realize how infuriating Max Brass would be in Smash? For those who don't know his entire gimmick is "pumping himself up" which permanently charges his ARMS, gives him faster movement, AND gives him full super armor+damage reduction for 5 seconds. Oh, and once he gets low enough this just permanently activates until he gets knocked out, because EVERYONE LIKES COMEBACK MECHANICS IN SMASH RIGHT GUYS? Oh and you know, he's still an ARMS character, so giant ridiculous range on his attacks BTW. Clearly EXACTLY what Smash needs.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Real talk, does anyone actually realize how infuriating Max Brass would be in Smash? For those who don't know his entire gimmick is "pumping himself up" which permanently charges his ARMS, gives him faster movement, AND gives him full super armor+damage reduction for 5 seconds. Oh, and once he gets low enough this just permanently activates until he gets knocked out, because EVERYONE LIKES COMEBACK MECHANICS IN SMASH RIGHT GUYS? Oh and you know, he's still an ARMS character, so giant ridiculous range on his attacks BTW. Clearly EXACTLY what Smash needs.
So basically Little Mac with Simon/Richter's range, Cloud's limit, Inceniroar's revenge, and Lucario's aura? Finally, Geno has a worthy opponent!

T2by4

Smash Lord
Sounds exactly like something sakurai would add tbh

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I made a ridiculous picture of Mario and Bowser getting ready to fight on an expensive chandelier in a house for fun, resembling the first time they fought back in Super Mario RPG. I had a blast making this.

There is just something terrifying about a glass chandelier of such size. Like what if it drops? Imagine how much glass you have to pick up. *shudders*

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wonder, why exactly has Nintendo not shadowdropped anything since the new Paper Mario game? There must be a reason.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You know I wonder what happened to some of the other Geno Fans who we've not seen in quite some time.....think they'll comeback when he's finally revealed?

Like @Zack E. , or Ovaltine Ovaltine ?
Oh, most definitely. Hell, I betcha Wynn will make a new account here just to apologize for how much of an ass he's been... on second thought nah, he wouldn't apologize, he'd just go "Nah, c'mon, I never said he wouldn't make it in. Wowie zowie, stop taking things so sErIoUsLy.". Man, I'm glad he's gone.

Now that's one expensive meme!

View attachment 274222

Oh dang, I never thoUGHT ABOUT THAT! WE GOT TOO COCKY, GENOBROS!

I wonder, why exactly has Nintendo not shadowdropped anything since the new Paper Mario game? There must be a reason.
Revenge for our sinful speculation.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
New Papa vid! Some good news for us: Min Min is being heard most by insiders but Springman and Ribbongirl's names also come up enough to be mentioned. Any 3 of them would shatter the spirits deconfirm rule. He also goes on to compare this to how it was similar to Eridrick and Luminary being heard a lot prior to Hero showing us it was both of them, so this is good for fans of the alts theory. Papa has also heard FP7 is 3rd party, which bodes well for us. He then highlights the Geno coincidences like Legacy XP and such that have been happening has of recent.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Paper Mario screams "this was meant to be announced somewhere else but we weren't able to so here it is now". There was no reason for it not to be in March's mini direct given the game is out next month so I think there is some credence to the supposed cancelled April Mario Event thing.

Nintendo still has nothing past July for the rest of the year, they clearly expect Clubhouse and Pokemon/Smash DLC to carry this month and Paper Mario the next but something has to spill out soon. Keep in mind Nintendo's E3 presentation would have been TOMMORROW, if we don't get any news by the end of the week we can really start the headscratching.

Heoj

Smash Ace
New Papa vid! Some good news for us: Min Min is being heard most by insiders but Springman and Ribbongirl's names also come up enough to be mentioned. Any 3 of them would shatter the spirits deconfirm rule. He also goes on to compare this to how it was similar to Eridrick and Luminary being heard a lot prior to Hero showing us it was both of them, so this is good for fans of the alts theory. Papa has also hear FP7 is 3rd party, which bodes well for us. He then highlights the Geno coincidences like Legacy XP and such that have been happening has of recent.
It seems Papagenos is a lot more confident in geno

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Revenge for our sinful speculation.
Sakurai: I am so sick of speculation I have to hide what I play now.

Sooooo that mean we're getting all the fighter reveals soon? Because mystery is what leads to speculating after all.

Sakurai: ………………………………..….No?

No? Like geNO? Guys, Geno confirmed!

Sakurai: Annnd there it is.

Relax, it's a joke!

Sakurai: Good because it was this close to getting--

Because I already figured it out! It's June! And June rhymes with Boon, Ed Boon! Scorpion is coming alongside the ARMS rep OMG! No need to feign ignorance now, it's too late. I'm smart like that.

Sakurai: *respect for humanity lost*

MisterMike

Smash Champion
New Papa vid! Some good news for us: Min Min is being heard most by insiders but Springman and Ribbongirl's names also come up enough to be mentioned. Any 3 of them would shatter the spirits deconfirm rule. He also goes on to compare this to how it was similar to Eridrick and Luminary being heard a lot prior to Hero showing us it was both of them, so this is good for fans of the alts theory.
Just finished watching this and yeah, things are gettin' spicy. The fact that insiders have apparently been hearing a hodgepodge of ARMS character names definitely helps reinforce the idea that we may be getting a multiple character deal.

He then highlights the Geno coincidences like Legacy XP and such that have been happening as of recent.
Yeah, I still find that somewhat suspect. As he mentioned, Nintendo only ever seems to strike fan projects down when they deem them to be tangible competition to their own products. Alongside the likes of AM2R and apparently Legacy XP, there's also the Super Mario 64 HD Remake getting striked some months before Super Mario Odyssey's reveal. I think there were other instances of this in the past as well, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I’m definitely thinking that we’ll get at least some kind of news out of Nintendo this week. I’m not sure if it’ll be Smash, though. I could see us getting news that was supposed to come out last week showing up soon, sort of like Sony’s PS5 livestream. After all, wasn’t there a post/Tweet last week that was mentioned here that said something along the lines of “this week should be fun” or something? Too lazy to go dig it up now, but I think it was from some credible insider potentially? Don’t remember now, but I think that Nintendo had plans for last week but they got understandably delayed. Makes me think some announcements could be coming either this week or later (probably the 22nd - 25th?).

As far as a Smash, what are the chances that we potentially just get a trailer instead of a Smash Direct? Something akin to the Robin/Lucina trailer from 4 with the ARMS rep, FP7, and maybe 8. Then we get a Sakurai video later about our ARMS rep. I could see that happening in all honesty. Another thing: ARMS is not really a big selling point in terms of the Fighters Pass. I think 7 is going to make or break it, since they’ll likely be revealed along with 6. Geno would fit that mold I think.

Also, no one has really asked, but I’ll go ahead and drop my predictions for the 2nd Pass, since I haven’t yet.
FP6: Min Min
FP7: Geno
FP8: Crash
FP9: Dante/Phoenix Wright
FP10: Lloyd Irving
FP11: Master Chief
Bonus: Waluigi
I couldn’t not give the Wah a bonus spot. It also seems like the most Sakurai thing to do, wait until the last possible moment to obliterate all the fan rules, as well as making the most meme-y choice possible besides Goku.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Hey so I know Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and some others have entertained the idea of more echoes being stuffed into Challenger Packs (especially with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl) to fit those 4 last slots of the 16 ones from WoL's code. Assuming this happens, I made some ideas for what would happen using my predictions.

Spring Man (not my actual prediction for the ARMS dude) - Ribbon Girl
Geno - Gooigi or some other Mario echo
Sol Badguy/Heihachi - Rock Howard, or Kazuya if it's Heihachi
Rex - Hector, because why not?

D

Deleted member

Legacy XP case seems to be interesting. But I wonder why Nintendo didn’t take down Legacy XP for Ridley for Smash Ultimate. Unless, Nintendo didn’t notice Legacy XP up until now and the timing for potentially Geno is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I want to chime in on the Legacy XP thing as someone that's Most wanted is in that mod that isn't Geno

It's especially weird to take it down now because i remember that even during the Beginning of Ultimate's Life cycle (And i mean when we didn't even know the Title of the New Smash, so March-June), The Mod was i say at it's most popular. I remember when a youtuber was showing off the New Build (which added Shadow the Hedgehog) , People were mistaking it for the New Smash actually. this was in 2018. When they took down the Mod in 2020, it wasn't even at it's Apex Popularity.

2018-2020, Ridley would be the only New Character featured in that mod that would become Playable. If this mod takedown is related to a Character, it could be either because

-One of the 3rd Party companies is the one that pushed for Mod takedown related to 1 character

-More than 1 of these characters is showing up in the DLC in someway

The Remaining characters exclusive to Legacy XP is Geno, Waluigi, Shadow, and Metal Sonic. I know Fatman has speculated of Bonus characters. Perhaps this mod Takedown might just signal more than just Geno being in the DLC

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
New Papa vid! Some good news for us: Min Min is being heard most by insiders but Springman and Ribbongirl's names also come up enough to be mentioned. Any 3 of them would shatter the spirits deconfirm rule. He also goes on to compare this to how it was similar to Eridrick and Luminary being heard a lot prior to Hero showing us it was both of them, so this is good for fans of the alts theory. Papa has also hear FP7 is 3rd party, which bodes well for us. He then highlights the Geno coincidences like Legacy XP and such that have been happening has of recent.
I would be cool with just Springman as both Spirit and Assist Trophy rules would get shattered but I would prefer getting a Hero situation with Arms. Also, the next character likely being third party really gives me hope for my most wanted picks. I personally think Geno can be either 7 or 8 with no issue but I do want to see Crash or Rayman revealed close to him.

(Still have a bit of hope for Doomguy but it's not much)

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I knew of Legacy XP getting shut down and it potentially pointing to Geno, but hearing PapaGenos explain it in detail, really made me realize how big this is for Geno

I don't believe Project M ever got touched by Nintendo. Could be wrong but that was a bigger mod than Legacy XP. Legacy XP getting taken down is pretty interesting

It's also interesting how they didn't shut down the mod when Ridley made it in. The fact they shut it down more recently is quite telling. 1 character overlap between the mod and Ultimate didn't seem to do it, so it does seem likely we'll be getting another overlap between the 2 soon in terms of characters because of shut down timing

Definitely looking like Geno Time

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The Remaining characters exclusive to Legacy XP is Geno, Waluigi, Shadow, and Metal Sonic.
And honestly, we can probably cut out Metal Sonic because I don't see it getting in before either Shadow or another Sonic character entirely (Tails, Knuckles, or Eggbotnikman as the most likely candidates if we do happen to get a second Sonic rep). Two of those remaining three are also ATs which I do still see as less likely to get promoted than a JPEG (though I'm not completely counting out ATs), leaving Geno as the obvious frontrunner of those four.

I knew of Legacy XP getting shut down and it potentially pointing to Geno, but hearing PapaGenos explain it in detail, really made me realize how big this is for Geno

I don't believe Project M ever got touched by Nintendo. Could be wrong but that was a bigger mod than Legacy XP. Legacy XP getting taken down is pretty interesting

It's also interesting how they didn't shut down the mod when Ridley made it in. The fact they shut it down more recently is quite telling. 1 character overlap between the mod and Ultimate didn't seem to do it, so it does seem likely we'll be getting another overlap between the 2 soon in terms of characters because of shut down timing

Definitely looking like Geno Time
For sure, it's looking good. That said, I do hope it also may point to Wah. I'm not actively wanting him, but I do hope the purple bro stops getting spat upon by his creators.

I would be cool with just Springman as both Spirit and Assist Trophy rules would get shattered but I would prefer getting a Hero situation with Arms.
I think most everyone would, with the exception of people who are extremely anal about characters being purely based on their design in their original games. Granted, I'm sure those people absolutely hate characters like Captain Falcon (literally everything), Kirby and Meta Knight (flight clipped), Ness and Lucas (ability to use offensive PSI spells outside of PSI Rockin/Love), Pit (virtually everything), Ridley (flight clipped), Simon Belmont (stole some of Richter's moves), Byleth (THEY TALK?!), good lord let's just say there's quite a handful of liberties taken, but none that are so extreme that people make a stink about it.

Basically, if you really care about the small differences in abilities between the ARMS characters, you're gonna hate on the Hero-esque style character, but I really don't think most people give a crap. Having ARMS representation with both the mascots, Min Min, and probably Ninjara, would be really awesome, moreso than having one character with all their ARMS abilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom