• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
If Geno's stage wasn't the Forest Maze, what would you want it to be?

...though thinking about it, maybe I should rule out Bowser's Keep, since that seems like an obvious second choice since it's on the cover and title screen of the game. (seriously, how have we not gotten a proper Bowser's Castle stage yet?)
I noticed that all DLC stages have something in common: all of them have guest characters in the background, so the only two places from SMRPG that I could see having guest characters like Mallow, Booster, Boshi, Valentina, Dodo, Jonathan Jones, etc. would be Nimbus Land or the Mushroom Kingdom. Also we already have the concept for that:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I noticed that all DLC stages have something in common: all of them have guest characters in the background, so the only two places from SMRPG that I could see having guest characters like Mallow, Booster, Boshi, Valentina, Dodo, Jonathan Jones, etc. would be Nimbus Land or the Mushroom Kingdom. Also we already have the concept for that:

Nimbus Land is also a great option, since it's up in the clouds, etc. Which fits Geno's theme well. Likewise, we have three different Mushroom Kingdom-based stages. Actually, 4 now. Nimbus Land sounds more interesting to me~

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The final five before the jackpot
Hopefully. If we're getting a Smash Direct Tuesday it will probably be announced tomorrow or early Monday morning and if it's Thursday then Tuesday or early Wednesday morning. Since the general Direct got nuked they'll probably spread the news out across 4 days and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, like Pokemon, Smash basically gets its own day.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hopefully. If we're getting a Smash Direct Tuesday it will probably be announced tomorrow or early Monday morning and if it's Thursday then Tuesday or early Wednesday morning. Since the general Direct got nuked they'll probably spread the news out across 4 days and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, like Pokemon, Smash basically gets its own day.
Yeah, I'm hoping for something like that too, but I'm thinking Wednesday or Thursday going by previous history.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Always glad to see new faces here! I remember when our resident @Lord Woomy was new... Heck, I remember when I was was new. ...Man time flies.

Anyways, since I'm a bit of a special case when it comes to supporting Geno and enjoy hearing about others' cases, what's your background with the character? Any personal connection to him or Super Mario RPG? As for me, I have no real connection to the puppet lad and have been meaning to play his game but haven'tyet. However, I've been here supporting this thread for basically a year because I truly believe Geno is gonna get his dues soon. Trust me, this entire thread and its "pseudo-ambassador" (Leader? Spokesman?) Fatmanonice Fatmanonice can tell you all about the things lining up for Geno (heck the man wrote an entire essay on it)!

Regardless, we're glad to have you!
My history with Geno and Super Mario RPG is probably different then most people here. I was born six years after the game released, so I never actually grew up with the SNES or SMRPG. However, I have always been a Mario fan and despite not really being much of an RPG fan myself, for some reason, I just always got hooked in to the Mario RPG's. I've played all the Mario & Luigi games and the first three Paper Mario games.

And then we get to Smash. I first got in to Smash speculation during the Brawl era, and at the time, I had no idea who Geno was. Apparently he was a Mario character and one that was heavily requested back in the day. At the time, I was kinda confused why so many people wanted him so as such, I tried the game out on the Wii virtual console to get a better understanding of the hype surrounding the game and Geno. Once I completed it, I fell in love with the game as it instantly became my favorite Mario RPG, and Geno was my personal favorite party member and I thought his moves would be really freaking cool to see in Smash. 10 years later, I am still holding out hope and praying he finally gets included, which seems pretty likely in my honest opinion. :)

axel_

Smash Journeyman
If Geno's stage wasn't the Forest Maze, what would you want it to be?

...though thinking about it, maybe I should rule out Bowser's Keep, since that seems like an obvious second choice since it's on the cover and title screen of the game. (seriously, how have we not gotten a proper Bowser's Castle stage yet?)
I feel like I shouldn't have to say this so many times.
1591483377605.png

QQS

Smash Lord
Fatman my friend, can they announce directs on Sunday? I mean just reveal the date on Sunday (to be showed on a week-day). Have they done that before? Thanks

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Fatman my friend, can they announce directs on Sunday? I mean just reveal the date on Sunday (to be showed on a week-day). Have they done that before? Thanks
I know you aren't asking me, but, no, they haven't announced any directs on a Sunday...

BUT, it's completely possible they can, IF, the Sakurai Presents is on a Tuesday, and if they want to announce 2 days before like they normally do.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
The August 2018 Smash Direct was announced on August 5, which is a Sunday.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Oh, yeah.
I completely forgot they did that, I thought that was announced on a Monday.
Yeah. Although they did announce that Direct during EVO so I'm wondering if that was a one time thing, but it at least gives credence to the fact that we could see a Direct announced Sunday
I see. Thanks Paraspikey Paraspikey and Enigma735 Enigma735 . Geno is about to happen!
You're welcome and I love your optimism. Here's hoping it happens! :)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The August 2018 Smash Direct was announced on August 5, which is a Sunday.
That was also announced at EVO though, it feels like a special occasion more than anything. NOTHING is confirmed yet, so don't be super disappointed if we don't see anything Smash related next week and we're forced to wait a little longer.

(Also I just personally don't want the Smash direct before Thursday because I want to make sure I can beat Super Mario RPG by then, I want to wait until I beat the game before I write about it at all but just know I haven't felt this strongly about a game in years)

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
That was also announced at EVO though, it feels like a special occasion more than anything. NOTHING is confirmed yet, so don't be super disappointed if we don't see anything Smash related next week and we're forced to wait a little longer.

(Also I just personally don't want the Smash direct before Thursday because I want to make sure I can beat Super Mario RPG by then, I want to wait until I beat the game before I write about it at all but just know I haven't felt this strongly about a game in years)
Yeah I pointed that out in my last reply to Paraspikey Paraspikey . Obviously nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, but it could be a possibility since it has happened before, even though I think we will be waiting until the weekdays.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
The Hero presentation was announced on a Sunday night(EST), so they could definitely do that again if they wanted to, especially if the Arms character comes out on the 16th.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Been listening to SMRPG's soundtrack a lot recently for obvious reasons and, despite the odds, I really hope we get more than two tracks and actually get some remixes. The sound design of SMRPG is so good. You can really tell that Yoko Shimomura put her all into it and why it basically launched her to superstardom. Honestly, she's had some of the best remixes in Smash history so I hope they let her work on one of her own works:

-King Dedede's theme (Brawl)
-Tetris: Type A
-Ryu's stage (Smash 4)
-Route 10
-Magicant/Eight Melodies (Smash 3DS)
-Vega stage
-Kass Theme (I was today years old when I learned she did this remix)
-Treasure Trove Cove
-Pasta

MattX20

Smash Hero
Been listening to SMRPG's soundtrack a lot recently for obvious reasons and, despite the odds, I really hope we get more than two tracks and actually get some remixes. The sound design of SMRPG is so good. You can really tell that Yoko Shimomura put her all into it and why it basically launched her to superstardom. Honestly, she's had some of the best remixes in Smash history so I hope they let her work on one of her own works:

-Ryu's stage (Smash 4)
-Route 10
-Vega stage
-Treasure Trove Cove
-Pasta
I imagine they would let her work on Beware the Forest's Mushrooms again. They got Grant Kirkhope to do Spiral Mountain so I can't see why Sakurai wouldn't try to get her for that

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

-Ryu's stage (Smash 4)
-Route 10
-Vega stage
-Treasure Trove Cove
-Pasta
I swear Super Mario RPG's soundtrack is severely underrated. I always find myself hearing some songs on repeat because they are just that good. I would be beyond disappointed if we only got two tracks from this game.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

-Ryu's stage (Smash 4)
-Route 10
-Vega stage
-Treasure Trove Cove
-Pasta
Atleast we can say for almost absolute certain that if we do get a remix it is going to be by her, she clearly likes remaking her music for Smash if the Mario and Luigi/Street Fighter 2 stuff is anything to go by. I don't see any reason why Square would be so stingy with songs though compared to FF and DQ which have a lot going on with them.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Super Mario RPG music isn't caught up in the same licensing hell that FF and DQ are in, so I doubt we would only get two tracks

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think a question about Super Mario RPG music is this: beyond Yoko Shimomura, who do you think or want to be the other composers for other tracks?

axel_

Smash Journeyman

-Ryu's stage (Smash 4)
-Route 10
-Vega stage
-Treasure Trove Cove
-Pasta
I have just now (re)learned that this is the name of a song is Ultimate.
Well, today I realized that Yoko Shimomura did the Treasure Trove Cove and Pasta remixes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Also, the composer for the Ace Attorney series did Kurkinton from Fatal Fury 2 remix, but yeah, I imagine Super Mario RPG's music would get some star talent to remix those tracks or any other Mario RPG series tracks

QQS

Smash Lord
Maybe Geno Pack will come with 8 music tracks for him; also Chocobo costume with other 6 songs to FF.

Finally Cloud, Hero and Geno would have 8 songs each.

Anyway if our boy comes with only Forest remixed and Armed boss, I would be forever grateful. I don’t see why Yoko wouldn’t remix his own songs here, given that she already made Smash songs since Brawl, and given that Square seems more ‘easy to work with’ since Wii U.

Just give us a full Geno challenger pack (hope it can be 7) and it will be the end of this 20 years chapter. Can’t wait to see the final design, moveset and which stage they decide to recreate with cameos. Maybe Forest Maze? Maybe Vista Hill? Maybe Star Road? I’m rooting for Forest Maze with Bowyer there canceling our Specials with arrows cause it’s the most iconic scene for me (and I realize it’s also a fan favorite of all!). Battling in the middle a cut tree with Forest Maze remixed in a Family Jules style (by Yoko) it would be beyond epicness.

GENO VISITS FROM ABOVE!

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Her. Yoko Shimomura’s a woman.

AFAIK, she owns the rights to all her compositions, so when Geno comes, I have no reason to assume he’ll only come with two tracks (which is also why I think the YouTube takedowns aren’t really a mark in Geno’s favor).

QQS

Smash Lord
Her. Yoko Shimomura’s a woman.

AFAIK, she owns the rights to all her compositions, so when Geno comes, I have no reason to assume he’ll only come with two tracks (which is also why I think the YouTube takedowns aren’t really a mark in Geno’s favor).
oh yes, I know she is a woman. I just wrote it bad

MattX20

Smash Hero
There's very little doubt in my mind that we'll get more than two tracks with Geno

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
One of my few wishes for Geno's Pack is that we get, at the very least, the Nimbus Land song. It was one of my favorites back when I played the game. Also, I'm surprised that Nimbus Land isn't considered a lot as the possible stage.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Super Mario RPG got costumes beyond the rumored Mallow Hat and Smithy, who do you think would work for it?

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
If Super Mario RPG got costumes beyond the rumored Mallow Hat and Smithy, who do you think would work for it?
Booster, Mack and Frogfucius are some that come to mind for me.
If we get some from the other Mario RPGs though? Fawful and Vivian as the top candidates.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Boshi Hat would be cool.

...I mean, when Geno is playable, Boshi would make for a cool echo too, but. (Mallow would also make for a nice secondary character otherwise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom