• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it will likely be a Smash Direct for two basic reasons

1. Nintendo and Sakurai are more than likely aware that unlike Joker, the ARMS rep doesn't have the initial draw factor that would make people want to buy the second fighter pass and Nintendo can't afford to keep this info drought going on for too much longer before money/interest is lost

2. We've had Smash Directs occur after the base game was released for Smash 4, so it wouldn't be unprecedented to have new ones now for Ultimate's last season of DLC. That, and with E3 cancelled, they have a lot more room/time to go further in depth
Yeah... Plus with Sakurai doing them literally out of his home office, he may not have the motivation to do 6 full ass presentations. In my heart of hearts, I do hope it's like 2015 where we get a Smash Direct for E3, 9 gets revealed in the fall Direct or whatever the **** they plan on doing, and then we have a final Smash Direct that reveals 10 and 11 in December or January.

Last edited:

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
Especially , when , you know... This exist :

And oh , I'm sorry :ult_terry: , but :ultryu::ultken: already have command inputs and moves that cancel into specials , and they have manly muscle , too , you're out.
I mean we're talking about the smash fanbase, you can't expect people to accept interesting characters who played important roles in the FG history, remember, the only fighting game smash players know is smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean we're talking about the smash fanbase, you can't expect people to accept interesting characters who played important roles in the FG history, remember, the only fighting game smash players know is smash.
Eh, let's be fair. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are really damn well known too. Beyond that, it can vary a bit more. Not all fighting games have things like various movies/tv shows either. That can help make it easy for people to know of them.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
There was a SONY Playstation 5 presentation scheduled for this Thursday, however in light of recent events, it seems that said presentation will be streamed/broadcasted another day. It is absolutely (DEFINITIVELY) understandable that they opted in postponing the event. Question is, will others (Nintendo) do the same?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was a SONY Playstation 5 presentation scheduled for this Thursday, however in light of recent events, it seems that said presentation will be streamed/broadcasted another day. It is absolutely (DEFINITIVELY) understandable that they opted in postponing the event. Question is, will others (Nintendo) do the same?

Sony’s HQ moved to California so that’s probably why. Since Nintendo’s still situated in Japan, they may keep on schedule

Microsoft I can see postponing as well as any other US based company

Polarthief

Smash Lord

They literally just today posted an announcement for Pokemon news tomorrow, so that should answer your question with a "no".

Honestly it's because of Corona and recent events that we *NEED* some good news. Everyone is stressed and upset; let's get some game announcements to look forward to!

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
They literally just today posted an announcement for Pokemon news tomorrow, so that should answer your question with a "no".

Honestly it's because of Corona and recent events that we *NEED* some good news. Everyone is stressed and upset; let's get some game announcements to look forward to!
SERIOUSLY! I, for one, am absolutely dying for some escapism right about now. It's bad enough that virtually all entertainment has gone stagnant with everything else that's going on.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Or in other words, "We don't really care about what's going on, but we want all eyes to be on our event and not the riots".

Bad things happen globally every day, you can't just cancel/postpone everything because of it or we would never get any reveals or releases. Hopefully Nintendo won't do the same.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
That might be the most entitled thing anyone has ever said in a thread about a video game character that people want in a video game about fighting cartoon mascots. Just sayin.

Heoj

Smash Ace
we should end this topic as its going way off topic, but my 2 cents on the matter is that personally i would prefer it if game announcements would be kept as normal, though when it comes to june 4 i can respect sonys decision for obvious reasons
"Or in other words, "We don't really care about what's going on, but we want all eyes to be on our event and not the riots". Bad things happen globally every day, you can't just cancel/postpone everything because of it or we would never get any reveals or releases. Hopefully Nintendo won't do the same." Thats just a pretty disgusting thing to say imo.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Or in other words, "We don't really care about what's going on, but we want all eyes to be on our event and not the riots".

Bad things happen globally every day, you can't just cancel/postpone everything because of it or we would never get any reveals or releases. Hopefully Nintendo won't do the same.
Hard agree.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's a YouTube Poop quote from the early days (probably 2007/2008) when Hotel Mario, the CDI Zeldas, and AOSTH were the main material used.
Among Geno and Mega Man as my most wanted Smash characters, there was also a time where I unironically wanted King Harkinian and Morshu the Shop Keeps playable Zelda characters. I was young and I was also watching a lot of Youtube Poops at the time. I thought they were 'real' Zelda characters.

Nowadays, I really just focus on Geno and others characters I like who are more possible. (With the exception of LaunchPad. Always root for LaunchPad)

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Sony's HQ is in California, a place where currently heavy protests are happening. Trust me, Nintendo will not postpone anything, unless something happens in Japan. Remember the Earthquakes that made Nintendo delay a Direct? It's literally an equivalent situation. Now please show some respect towards the decision Sony has made. If they want to delay an event because of a National Crisis, they have the right to. You guys are embarassing yourselves.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
To be fair , fighting games are an hard genre to simply get into. Be it 2D fighters , 2,5D fighters , arena fighters , platform fighters , ect...

They often ask for a lot of personnal investment if you want to enjoy multiplayer to it's fullest , unless you simply want to play with your friends for fun and do the story mode.
I'm not justifying Smash fans saying :ult_terry: = :ultryu: , because that's dumb , but fighting games is just an hard genre to get into.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Sony's HQ is in California, a place where currently heavy protests are happening. Trust me, Nintendo will not postpone anything, unless something happens in Japan. Remember the Earthquakes that made Nintendo delay a Direct? It's literally an equivalent situation. Now please show some respect towards the decision Sony has made. If they want to delay an event because of a National Crisis, they have the right to. You guys are embarassing yourselves.
I thought Sony's HQ was in Japan? That's more understandable then.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Guys... Let's not make this overly dramatic... Sony likely postponed their presentation because, on a basic level, trying to launch a new console, only for it to get swallowed up in the news by mass protests and riots, is the definition of bad marketing. It's not a matter of being appropriate, it's about timing and a huge investment for a company like a new console announcement definitely needs good timing.

Firox

Smash Master
I think the saddest part of it all is that the world is in crisis so often these days that NO time is ever really a good time for announcements. Most of us want at least the occasional ray of sunshine but all we seem to get is a torrential downpour......Damn, I need Geno in my life. Just give me that, Sakurai. Please. Just give me that much....when you can....

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Guys... Let's not make this overly dramatic... Sony likely postponed their presentation because, on a basic level, trying to launch a new console, only for it to get swallowed up in the news by mass protests and riots, is the definition of bad marketing. It's not a matter of being appropriate, it's about timing and a huge investment for a company like a new console announcement definitely needs good timing.
I think the saddest part of it all is that the world is in crisis so often these days that NO time is ever really a good time for announcements. Most of us want at least the occasional ray of sunshine but all we seem to get is a torrential downpour......Damn, I need Geno in my life. Just give me that, Sakurai. Please. Just give me that much....when you can....
These were the points I was trying to make, just worded better. So put your pitchforks away and let's hope Geno is revealed this month!

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I was looking for the Geno Mii costume model on Model's Resource and Google, but I wasn't able to find anything. I was surprised considering the sheer amount of Mii costumes up and available for Ultimate, and I was wondering if anyone here has managed to rip Geno from Wii U.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
This is off topic, but...
You know, honestly, as someone who really wanted Mewtwo to be in Smash 4, I feel like we're dealing with the same variety of whack-offs that I remember seeing back in 2013-2014. I wasn't as active in Smash speculation at the time, but one thing I do remember was people constantly claiming "They wouldn't have cut him for Brawl if they ever wanted to put him in again". Tbh, I don't think these people's arguments or rationality has improved at all in ~6 years.

MattX20

Smash Hero
This is off topic, but...
You know, honestly, as someone who really wanted Mewtwo to be in Smash 4, I feel like we're dealing with the same variety of whack-offs that I remember seeing back in 2013-2014. I wasn't as active in Smash speculation at the time, but one thing I do remember was people constantly claiming "They wouldn't have cut him for Brawl if they ever wanted to put him in again". Tbh, I don't think these people's arguments or rationality has improved at all in ~6 years.
It is a similar situation, though I get it. For Geno fans, this fighter pass is the last chance we have of seeing him playable

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Or it's absolutely none of this and its...

AugustusB

Smash Champion

MattX20

Smash Hero

Droodle

Smash Lord
I saw that the other day. I still think if a second Microsoft character joins Smash, it would be Master Chief partly due to Halo Infinite and more so due to the legacy of the character.
Minecraft Steve has a bigger fanbase in terms of Smash though, especially in the likes of Japan.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Minecraft Steve has a bigger fanbase in terms of Smash though, especially in the likes of Japan.
You're forgetting that Microsoft is pushing Halo Infinite rather hard, and just because one character isn't as popular in Japan isn't a death sentence. Geno wasn't very popular in Europe either for a while since Super Mario RPG didn't get released there until 2008 on the Virtual Console.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So, Namco, Microsoft, and Nintendo working together on a project, why does that sound familiar?
What's that? Lloyd and Steve at the door? Honestly, I thought maybe MC, but Steve's looking more likely than him. I don't see Halo content coming without MCC being put on Switch first. Rare is one thing (they were originally pumping out everything for Nintendo), but yeah. Just my two cents.

You're forgetting that Microsoft is pushing Halo Infinite rather hard, and just because one character isn't as popular in Japan isn't a death sentence. Geno wasn't very popular in Europe either for a while since Super Mario RPG didn't get released there until 2008 on the Virtual Console.
True; honestly it's pretty up in the air. I'm thinking ~65:35 for Steve:MC, assuming one of the slots is most definitely a Microsoft one.

That said, it would be funny if not one but both of the first "Microsoft" reps weren't even originally on Xbox first, y'know? BK was Nintendo and Steve was PC (and would, in a sense, technically be the first indie fighter, right?).

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think if we get another Microsoft character it will be Master Chief. Minecraft would be best represented by a stage I feel, and a premium Mii costume Steve for the swordfighter would work well enough considering Steve's design.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Minecraft has a bigger fanbase in both the Nintendo and Smash community. So far there have been 0 Halo games on the Switch (aside from rumors of the Master Chief collection coming, but who knows if those are real). Again, Nintendo chooses to approach the IP holder with the pick in mind, not the other way around.

In terms of an analogy, Square is pushing FF 7 Remake very hard, but that doesn't mean that we're likely to get Sephiroth in Smash. Geno has a bigger fanbase within the Smash community.

Master Chief/Sephiroth could still happen, but they are rivaling characters with much more of a vocal demand for them to be in Smash.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think if we get another Microsoft character it will be Master Chief. Minecraft would be best represented by a stage I feel, and a premium Mii costume Steve for the swordfighter would work well enough considering Steve's design.
That's how I kinda feel too; I'd love a Minecraft stage, but I just, idk, I think MC isn't coming. I've 180'd pretty hard coming from pre-FP2 speculation, but I really don't think MC is coming while Steve/Minecraft has been talked about waaaaay more. Minecraft is also the reason why we even have BK in the first place.

Yeah, but Minecraft has a bigger fanbase in both the Nintendo and Smash community. So far there have been 0 Halo games on the Switch (aside from rumors of the Master Chief collection coming, but who knows if those are real). Again, Nintendo chooses to approach the IP holder with the pick in mind, not the other way around.

In terms of an analogy, Square is pushing FF 7 Remake very hard, but that doesn't mean that we're likely to get Sephiroth in Smash. Geno has a bigger fanbase within the Smash community.

Master Chief/Sephiroth could still happen, but they are rivaling characters with much more of a vocal demand for them to be in Smash.
Yep, all of this for sure.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Jesus, leave for the better half of a day and there's like 5 pages to catch up on. Anyways, thoughts on the new Pokemon Expansion Pass news tomorrow? What I've seen of this expansion pass thus far has been mostly disappointing, so I'm not really expecting much aside from further confirmation of what we already can guess it to be: a somewhat small-ish area that looks like it'll take a couple hours to complete with a reward that's only really useful in the anemic single player campaign and the 20 minute online matches. ****ing kek.

"Where there's toasters, they pinch back."

The thing that kills me when people say ATs can't be promoted is that they went out of their way to add a feature that ultimately has no point aside from arguably immersion. Nobody would care if Knuckles the AT and Knuckles the background character appeared at the same time because Smash in itself is one ****in' huge suspension of disbelief. This is a game where Ridley can have bunny ears and Ganondorf can have a raccoon tail, minds wouldn't exactly shatter.
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice minor correction but the line is "When you pitch Wendy's pennises, they pitch back".

Unless the intention was to missquote It in which case I apologize
Oh, I remember those lol.
ACKTHUALLY, the real quote is "Where there's smoke, they pinch back.". Fatboyinkiddiepool and JDUmbrella confirmed fake YTP fans lolololololol :ultpacman:

Personally, my prediction for the ARMS rep is that we're getting the Hero treatment and getting 4 characters in one with an extra color palette swap for each. Calling it now: It's gonna be Springman, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min. Why? All four of them have a similar build, plus it would make 2 guys and 2 girls to balance it out. Since most of the ARMS characters have interchangeable moves, they could simply stick with those for the most part and if they really want the girls could share a few unique animations while the guys have theirs. I feel that such a move by Sakurai would be the best way to appeal to fan service, while also creating an accurate cross section of the franchise. Plus he would be able to effectively kill both fan rules pertaining to Spirits and AT's in the same character. Remember this post, people. Mark my words.
[ MisterMike MisterMike will remember this. ]

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Anyways, thoughts on the new Pokemon Expansion Pass news tomorrow?
They're adding content that should have been in base and selling it back to you for a premium. This week will be filled with the virgin chatter of "yay Pokemon" while next week is the chad screaming of "****ING GENO, BABY!".

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
They're adding content that should have been in base and selling it back to you for a premium. This week will be filled with the virgin chatter of "yay Pokemon" while next week is the chad screaming of "****ING GENO, BABY!".
At least they aren't pulling an Ultra Sun & Moon and it's half the price rather than having to buy an entirely new game. :ultpacman:

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
At least they aren't pulling an Ultra Sun & Moon and it's half the price rather than having to buy an entirely new game. :ultpacman:
I'd actually prefer the Ultra SuMo appraoch in this case. At least then I'd only have to spend 40 dollars for a decent package instead spending 60 dollarydoos on a barebones experience, with an additional 30 dollarydoos for the decent stuff.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'd actually prefer the Ultra SuMo appraoch in this case. At least then I'd only have to spend 40 dollars for a decent package instead spending 60 dollarydoos on a barebones experience, with an additional 30 dollarydoos for the decent stuff.
Assuming you didn't buy the first one. Also assuming that they wouldn't make it the price of a 3DS game and scale it to a Switch game.

So no, you'd still be paying $60. They're not just going to make it forty because it's like US&M

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Terry was revealed in the Fall Nintendo Direct, not in Banjo's presentation after it. That's what I'm saying. We're still probably getting a showcase for everything in 6 so I feel like they'll do this one of two ways:

-A presentation closer to 6's actual release.

Or

-A Smash Direct like the two in 2015 that shows all the upcoming DLC content including 7/8.
The latter. It's been so long that I think they were gonna do the former but decided to mesh them both together.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean that implies USUM needed to exist (it didn't) or added anything of value (it really didn't). You can argue the story is actually told worse and it doesn't actually fix anything fundamentally wrong with Gen 7 (mega linear routes and dungeons, endless tutorials and unskippable cutscenes, both of which are gigantic issues which drag down the game substantially).

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve’s design doesn’t fit a smooth bendy-limbed mii unless it’s a cardboard costume. He’s also his own character in official artwork and other stuff even if he’s not very well defined outside of a magazine and whatever they give him and Alex to work with in media. Minecraft is also about what the player can do, so personally I don’t see a stage being the “best” form of representation anymore than it would be for other games with a focus on what you/the character does in the world, and Steve could pull off a bunch of fun and creative moves to represent what you can do in Minecraft.

Though since Mojang is given just about full freedom over Minecraft and Nintendo loves it, I believe there’s a possibility we could get both Steve and Master Chief.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom