• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Assuming that Piranha Plant is not truly considered part of the batch cycle like Mewtwo, the lineup looks like this:
First Batch: Joker, Hero, Banjo
Second Batch: Terry, Byleth, ARMS rep
Third Batch: FP7, FP8, FP9
Fourth Batch: FP10, FP11, ???
It's less that it's batches, and more waves. Or, more specifically, a waterfall. While I'm sure they don't actually use 100% waterfall method (most software is done using "agile" now), the high level structure is still the same.

There are probably three major phases to any smash character:
- Concept/design
- Build, playtesting
- Balance, QA Testing

They probably have one or more in design, one in build, and one in balance. It all depends on how large of a team is still working on the game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It’s nice to see Geno’s chances are looking good. I‘m really hoping he’s #77 or #78. I know I don’t say that much about him here anymore, but he’s still high up on my most-wanteds list. I would like to talk more about Geno, but I’m not sure what to talk about regarding him without bringing up something I’m sure we’ve already talked about multiple times :S

Honestly the three BIG indie reps for me personally are Undertale/Deltarune, Cuphead, and FNAF. I feel like FNAF will be one of the deluxe costumes, it made a huge impact back in the day, would be nice to see. Although it isn't really known for it's music (excluding fan music from youtube), I do wonder what song they could possibly use for it.
I would love a remix of Carmen Overture’s Toreador Song since that’s Freddy’s theme and both it and the original version of the tune are actually pretty catchy - the part of the song Freddy uses being my favorite.

of course since it’s not videogame-original music I guess it’s unlikely. I’m one of the people who like FNAF World, though, so I wouldn’t mind its battle theme or any of its other tracks since they’re all pretty nice. Other options include the Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza theme-song from Help Wanted, the Midnight Motorist theme from FNAF: Pizza Simulator, and maybe a remix of another music box theme if any of them are even original.

Inb4 Nintendo, Sakurai, and Scott work with The Living Tombstone to bring us The Man Behind the Slaughter™️.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
So I guess we have talked about anything Geno may bring up with him, to list them:

Reveal trailer
Splash art
Photo with celebratory pose with SMRPG gang
The fighter (moveset, alt.costumes, number #)
The stage
The music
Spirit pack
Classic Route
Wallpaper in the congratulations screen
Character face-icon
Character franchise-logo
Kirby Hat
Boxing ring name
How the announcer screams your name
How the audience cheers up on battle

About the last one, Have anyone mentioned it before? How would the public would cheer up for Geno? “Geno! Geno! Geno!” or “Go go Geno”? What do you think?

I think this is all a Challenger Pack may bring. It would be priceless and epic to see Geno become materialized here. Pretty sure he is happening!

Geno joins the party!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

About the last one, Have anyone mentioned it before? How would the public would cheer up for Geno? “Geno! Geno! Geno!” or “Go go Geno”? What do you think?

I think this is all a Challenger Pack may bring. It would be priceless and epic to see Geno become materialized here. Pretty sure he is happening!

Geno joins the party!
It's unlikely but "Ge-No ! Star Road's He-Ro !" would be amazing.

D

Deleted member

I feel the audience cheer would be something in the lines of "Go Geno, go Geno, go Geno go!"

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I don’t think I’ve seen anybody talk about this yet, but assuming we are getting a Smithy costume, how does everybody imagine it will look? We’ve already seen (potentially) what the Mallow hat will look like, but I don’t know whether Smithy would also be just a hat or if he’ll be a full costume. And in either case, how would he appear on a Mii?

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I don’t think I’ve seen anybody talk about this yet, but assuming we are getting a Smithy costume, how does everybody imagine it will look? We’ve already seen (potentially) what the Mallow hat will look like, but I don’t know whether Smithy would also be just a hat or if he’ll be a full costume. And in either case, how would he appear on a Mii?
my real question is, which version will they use?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just to add onto what Slender Slender talked about yesterday:

Notice how in Sakurai's launch tweet he doesn't mention Plant. What does this mean? At that point, Plant was likely "done" or "had gone platinum." For people not familiar with the slang, when it comes to came development, when a game "goes gold", this means it's ready for the final debugging and "polishing." Based on leaks from this time period, Plant was being debugged as early as August. When a game "goes platinum", this means that it's ready to ship. Obviously, game development isn't like turning in a homework assignment online and instantaneous. Sakurai doesn't work on a character until the night before its release and then slam the enter key at 11:55PM to make sure it releases on time. For games there's a cool down period of sorts where a developer makes sure things are in order so it releases smoothly. For physical copies, this is typically 3-4 months. For online content, it's usually about a month or two.

This is significant because this means that Plant "had gone platinum" in November/ December 2018, meaning Sakurai and his team were able to start the early stuff for Banjo. Looking at the Fighter's Pass, we see several points in time that seem to be solid indicators of when certain characters went Platinum. Joker likely hit this stage around the February 2019 Direct, Terry around the September 2019 Direct, and Byleth around Terry's November 2019 presentation. I think you all already see where I'm going with this.

Based on this model, if Byleth went platinum in November/December 2019, 8 probably began work around this time. Sound familiar? It should. If Joker, Hero, and Banjo were in development in December 2018 then 6, 7, and 8 were likely in development in December 2019. Now let's fast forward to March. Sakurai says that 6 has been delayed but flat out says that it's coming in June. What does this mean? Because 6's original release was supposed to be April, the original plan was likely to have 6 go platinum in February. Again, sound familiar? Based on these changes, 6 likely went platinum in April. This being said, 6 is "done" is just waiting for release at this point. With this in mind, Nintendo's likely actively working on 7, 8, and 9 at this point. Once again, this lines up with not only 2019 but 2015 where we wound up with three reveals at E3.

Going through all these steps, this seems to be intentional. If 6 hadn't been delayed, 6 would have released the same month as Mewtwo and Joker, setting the stage for at least two character reveals at E3. Think of it this way... If Joker hadn't gone platinum in February 2019, he would have been in the exact same place as 6 is now, likely being an E3 release like Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were. Again, this seems intentional and a very well structured work flow. In conclusion, E3 2020 probably will be 6, 7, and 8 unless 8 had complications we are totally unaware of because, as shown here, the "flow" is step by step near identical to how it was for the Fighter's Pass and even Smash 4's DLC.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just to add onto what Slender Slender talked about yesterday:

Notice how in Sakurai's launch tweet he doesn't mention Plant. What does this mean? At that point, Plant was likely "done" or "had gone platinum." For people not familiar with the slang, when it comes to came development, when a game "goes gold", this means it's ready for the final debugging and "polishing." Based on leaks from this time period, Plant was being debugged as early as August. When a game "goes platinum", this means that it's ready to ship. Obviously, game development isn't like turning in a homework assignment online and instantaneous. Sakurai doesn't work on a character until the night before its release and then slam the enter key at 11:55PM to make sure it releases on time. For games there's a cool down period of sorts where a developer makes sure things are in order so it releases smoothly. For physical copies, this is typically 3-4 months. For online content, it's usually about a month or two.

This is significant because this means that Plant "had gone platinum" in November/ December 2018, meaning Sakurai and his team were able to start the early stuff for Banjo. Looking at the Fighter's Pass, we see several points in time that seem to be solid indicators of when certain characters went Platinum. Joker likely hit this stage around the February 2019 Direct, Terry around the September 2019 Direct, and Byleth around Terry's November 2019 presentation. I think you all already see where I'm going with this.

Based on this model, if Byleth went platinum in November/December 2019, 8 probably began work around this time. Sound familiar? It should. If Joker, Hero, and Banjo were in development in December 2018 then 6, 7, and 8 were likely in development in December 2019. Now let's fast forward to March. Sakurai says that 6 has been delayed but flat out says that it's coming in June. What does this mean? Because 6's original release was supposed to be April, the original plan was likely to have 6 go platinum in February. Again, sound familiar? Based on these changes, 6 likely went platinum in April. This being said, 6 is "done" is just waiting for release at this point. With this in mind, Nintendo's likely actively working on 7, 8, and 9 at this point. Once again, this lines up with not only 2019 but 2015 where we wound up with three reveals at E3.

Going through all these steps, this seems to be intentional. If 6 hadn't been delayed, 6 would have released the same month as Mewtwo and Joker, setting the stage for at least two character reveals at E3. Think of it this way... If Joker hadn't gone platinum in February 2019, he would have been in the exact same place as 6 is now, likely being an E3 release like Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were. Again, this seems intentional and a very well structured work flow. In conclusion, E3 2020 probably will be 6, 7, and 8 unless 8 had complications we are totally unaware of because, as shown here, the "flow" is step by step near identical to how it was for the Fighter's Pass and even Smash 4's DLC.
You might be on to something

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
While we wait for June, I have to say something real quick. Geno not being CP7 would be such a missed opportunity that even Sakurai would think so too. Like seriously, Legend Of The SEVEN Stars, Challenger Pack 7, Fighter #77. I don't think this necessarily increases his chance, but it could be something to consider if Sakurai wanted to be clever. I can even see him making one of his jokes in the Geno presentation about it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I've already thought of this a while back.
MallowSmithyCostumeMockUps.png

It would seem the floodgates of game announcements are opening up as we near the month of June.

https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-amazon-france-lists-several-unannounced-games-for-switch/
Hmm, don't have much of an idea as to what these could be... perhaps the Capcom Switch game is DMC 4? I mean, they've already ported the other three games to the console, so I wouldn't be suprised.

"2 Games from Square"
"Both Switch only"

Oh boy , I don't want to get ahead of myself , but if this is what we all think it is...
FINAL FANTASY TEN-TEEN-TWO: LIGHTNING RETURNS: DEFINITIVE EDITION S CONFIRMED BAYBEEE!!
Okay but seriously, what do you think this could be?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
FINAL FANTASY TEN-TEEN-TWO: LIGHTNING RETURNS: DEFINITIVE EDITION S CONFIRMED BAYBEEE!!
Okay but seriously, what do you think this could be?
You know , that one game with a big sword dude and funny looking puppet man nobody can shut up about ?
we could get a remake of that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I’m not sure what you are insinuating with this one actually... my mind automatically goes to SMRPG (because, well, Geno) but there’s been radio silence on an SMRPG release.
I'm being totally honest when I say I have no clue what they are but this just drives the spike in deeper that Square Enix has been one of the Switch's biggest supporters since launch and that Nintendo and Square haven't had a relationship this strong since the mid 90's. If anything, it just extends an already lengthy combo string that expecting another Square character in Season 2 is not only extremely realistic but borderline inevitable given how hard Square has been backing Nintendo the past couple of years.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
UNannounced games? I was gonna say BD2 was gonna be one, but if they're specifically unannounced, oh boy... I seriously doubt it's SMRPG2/remake, I just don't see that happening, but the fact that there's even Square games coming only to Nintendo is only ever good news for adding to the "there's definitely a Square rep in FP2", and Geno is still the frontrunner on that list, so... ;)

Honestly I doubt is FF7R. If it is, that would be pretty devastating as I could see an FF7 character's chances go way up, but I really, sincerely, doubt that Square would sully their child on a peasant console like the Switch.

I'm being totally honest when I say I have no clue what they are but this just drives the spike in deeper that Square Enix has been one of the Switch's biggest supporters since launch and that Nintendo and Square haven't had a relationship this strong since the mid 90's. If anything, it just extends an already lengthy combo string that expecting another Square character in Season 2 is not only extremely realistic but borderline inevitable given how hard Square has been backing Nintendo the past couple of years.
Okay but like SMRPG2 when? If they won't let Paper Mario be Paper Mario anymore, can we at least get SMRPG back on? :)

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
It would be worth the wait if they revealed 6,7, and 8 together, and then announce that 6 would be released the same day, 7 the month after, and 8 the month after that.
It'll be worth the wait so long as Geno gets revealed that's all I need. I will accept other characters but I need my Geno (Dr Geno is also acceptable).

So I guess we have talked about anything Geno may bring up with him, to list them:

Reveal trailer
Splash art
Photo with celebratory pose with SMRPG gang
The fighter (moveset, alt.costumes, number #)
The stage
The music
Spirit pack
Classic Route
Wallpaper in the congratulations screen
Character face-icon
Character franchise-logo
Kirby Hat
Boxing ring name
How the announcer screams your name

Geno joins the party!
I think the audience should say "Spirits don't disconfirm!" Or maybe a cheer set to the Narwhal song like "Geno, his name's Geno. Yeah you know he's real good. He's real good cuz he's made entirely of wood!" No idk probably just "Go Geno". Unless the audience is capable of pronouncing his true name.

Meme squad please get on creating a music video for a Geno song set to the Narwhal song. Then we can use it for a series of Operation Starfall propaganda videos.

The potential switch games leak is exciting. It's been so weird just hearing about all these switch games from everyone and their mother except for Nintendo. With potential switch-exclusive releases of SE games that could be really significant even if they are not games related to Geno since it means more collaboration between SE and Nintendo. June is right around the corner and things are looking up despite a bleak start to the year. I'm excited for Smash news here's to hoping we get a cool ARMS character(s) and at least one other character (a certain possessed puppet would be great).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Two unannounced Switch exclusive Square games eh? That's really somethin', ain't it?

View attachment 273026
This really confirmed TWEWY is actually getting something thi
Two unannounced Switch exclusive Square games eh? That's really somethin', ain't it?

View attachment 273026
I think one of them is definitely TWEWY 2 or some kind of spin off to that franchise. It's been teased recently. I don't believe we are getting a Super Mario RPG 2/remaster any time soon. There are a lot of SE projects that are in the realm of possibility such as an Octopath 2 or a brand new ip itself.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
This really confirmed TWEWY is actually getting something thi

I think one of them is definitely TWEWY 2 or some kind of spin off to that franchise. It's been teased recently. I don't believe we are getting a Super Mario RPG 2/remaster any time soon. There are a lot of SE projects that are in the realm of possibility such as an Octopath 2 or a brand new ip itself.
Octopath 2 is a great guess! I also do hope that we get a Kingdom Hearts collection on Switch...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It's not Octopath 2, the Bravely team is already doing Default 2. One of them is likely a Collectors Edition for that game given that both of the Bravely games and Octopath got one. The second Square Switch game though? If we actually get TWEWY 2, for real, Square might actually redeem itself for the last 15 years of consistently weird and frustrating games and decisions.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If TWEWY is announced soon, its probably published by Nintendo (asuming its Switch console exclusive like Octopath).

The listing is from physical games so I think that Switch-only SKUs are from games already available at PS4/XOne. I have hopes that those S-E are KH: The Story so Far and Nier Automata/KHIII, but, more realistically there just both KH compilations (1.5+2.5 and 2.8 HD) being released as two games because of game size (and to squeeze more sales haha)

But as always, that that supposed Amazon FR leak with grain of salt.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
If TWEWY is announced soon, its probably published by Nintendo (asuming its Switch console exclusive like Octopath).

The listing is from physical games so I think that Switch-only SKUs are from games already available at PS4/XOne. I have hopes that those S-E are KH: The Story so Far and Nier Automata/KHIII, but, more realistically there just both KH compilations (1.5+2.5 and 2.8 HD) being released as two games because of game size (and to squeeze more sales haha)

But as always, that that supposed Amazon FR leak with grain of salt.
Has it ever been officially confirmed that the Switch wasn’t powerful enough to run KH3?

T2by4

Smash Lord
>two games from square

Okay but what makes us think that could possibly be related to geno? I think that's a bit of a stretch.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Other things that I just realized that we could take into account based on these timeframes:
- Season 2 will probably be done by February 2021 with no delays. Also, if we use the December 2021 deadline as gospel, they could still fit 3 more challenger packs (fighter, stage, music, Miis and songs) and they would still have some time left. These dates are too far apart, so maybe bonuses were planned alongside Season 2. This could also mean Season 3, but I'm not banking on it for now.
- There's a chance that #6's presentation is labelled as a Smash Direct: I was looking through Smash 4's timeline to try and figure out possible dates for when a character started, finished the polishing phase and released. I noticed that every time they've revealed 3 characters for DLC, it was in a Direct-style presentation. This also applies to the August and November 2018 presentations. So, if the labelling of the next presentation is a Direct, expecting 3 announcements is not out of the ordinary.
- Something I've also remembered about software engineering: you always try to minimize standby as much as possible. If a character is still in the middle of the process of concept during the bulk of development, we would have employees having to wait on decisions, so they would not waste time on something that may not pan out. I don't claim to be a master on the subject and I still have a lot to learn on it, but here's my theory...

Speculation for Cacomallow: I would only expect the bulk (as I will call it the process of making a character) to start in the very end of conception, when most (but not all) goals for the content are figured out (play style, location, design, mechanics in a broad sense, moveset concepts). Because of this, what's the thing that modellers can work on the earliest without having to wait on others? Consider also the fact that Smash Ultimate had a limited number of 3D modellers (It was revealed in a interview for base game, probably smaller now)
  • Stages: While they would know the location and references to work on, the layout and gimmicks would still be in the middle of implementation, so they wouldn't need the assets first, since a "grey stage" would work just fine. This would also mean that they wouldn't know exactly how many assets they would actually need to build for it, so finishing before the grey stage is done has a chance of generating stuff that wouldn't be used. This can happen anyways, but you can try to avoid at all costs.
  • Character: While work on the model would probably start at the beginning of bulk, I also think there's a group of modellers dedicated just to making the fighters; Not only that, there also the fact that characters are the ones that require the most rigging and animation out of the pack, so dedicating a team to do only do this is more efficient and avoids task-switching.
  • Then there's only one option left: Mii Costumes. What I think it's actually happening is that while the stage layout and functionality is being built, they are working on the Mii Costumes, since they already have an outline of how they are going to work.
TL;DR: The reason why I think Mii Costumes are done early in the pass is not because they want it done ASAP; It's because they can avoid standby by finishing them beforehand while waiting on the stages to be done, making Cacomallow (more specifically Mallow) fit the timeframe of development to a T.

View attachment 273026
One of them is probably TWEWY 2 (teased for a while, AnimeExpo art); The other one I have no idea (please be a new Final Fantasy Tactics or a Kingdom Hearts game).

Has it ever been officially confirmed that the Switch wasn’t powerful enough to run KH3?
I think it's less of a "can it run" and more of a "do the downgrades and cuts ruin our vision of the game" issue. KH3 is Unreal 4, so it's not about engine.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING!
I also can't help but think that this is a direct result of the Sora4smash hashtag trending. Hopefully they're trying to milk some kind of projected intrigue in regards to Sora's inclusion.
Is Square really supporting Nintendo more so than they’ve done in the past?
I mean I get what you’re saying when you compare it to N64, GameCube, and the Wii.
But overall though it looks like they continued to support Nintendo through their handhelds. I could have swore there were quite a few Dragon Quests, Final Fantasy, And Kh titles on those devices.

In the end, their “support” for the Nintendo switch just seems like more since it’s essentially both Nintendo’s handheld and home console platform.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Aaaand for our latest Nintendo tweet/announcement, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered! They added character skins!!! :awesome:

Oh right. I remember being so hype for that since I loved the original on Gamecube (even had a 4-player party!), but totally forgot it existed since they barely ever talked about it.

So "unannounced" isn't inherently correct, this one just never had a release date.

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon
While we wait for June, I have to say something real quick. Geno not being CP7 would be such a missed opportunity that even Sakurai would think so too. Like seriously, Legend Of The SEVEN Stars, Challenger Pack 7, Fighter #77. I don't think this necessarily increases his chance, but it could be something to consider if Sakurai wanted to be clever. I can even see him making one of his jokes in the Geno presentation about it.

I will say it would be a missed opportunity but if geno being in is all that matters to me. I'd probably stop caring but would bring it up on how much of a missed opportunity it was.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah, I felt the same about Porky Minch if he's coming. Last year was Mother's 30th anniversary (the 3 being important with the whole Mother THREE thing) and the Year of the Pig (which Mother 3 and Porky himself was all about pigs). If Porky ends up being a rep, hugely missed opportunity for last year, same with Mother 3 itself.

That said, if Geno ends up being #7 at the beginning of a Smash video/direct/whatever, right after the ARMS rep (but before a potential #8), I'm gonna have an opposite effect of last year's E3/the last Smash direct (Kencineroar) where I was disappointed through the whole thing; this time I'd probably be way too excited to even pay attention to the video.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think my heart would be able to take Geno in Smash AND SMRPG Remaster in the same month. I wouldn't be surprised if Square has considered it given what a cult classic SMRPG is but I feel like it's too soon and there's a side of me that thinks they would remaster Final Fantasy VI, Dragon Quest IV, or Chrono Trigger before SMRPG. If it ever does happen, I see it like 2-3 years in the future and that's optimistic.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
T TriggerX Console games are more expensive to develop for and require more resources and, not only that, they're console exclusives and new IPs. This said, Square hasn't given Nintendo this much console support in about two and half decades.
I completely agree that development resources for handhelds, mobile, and consoles are usually different. However that still differs from individual titles and if you look at Square's library of games published for the switch they are still low budget projects.

Most of these projects are remasters, remakes, and ports. Even that Octopath Traveler game that appeared on the switch seems to be the result of Square wanting to push out lower budget titles.
When the switch starts getting titles like KH3, FF7 Remake, a new Tomb Raider, then I would be singing a different tune.

Sure, there have been exclusive titles as well (although I can only think of like 3?) , but that seems to always be the case for Square published games on a Nintendo platform.
Idk, personally I don't believe there is an increase support of any kind on Square's part as far as the Switch goes. Developing more for the switch just seems to be the result of Nintendo lacking another platform to do it on.

Last edited:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
This is probably going to be a stretch but I just realised something. Remember that polish Amiibo leak that we saw a few weeks ago? What if those Ryu and Cloud amiibos are rereleased with these unnanounced Capcom and Square Enix games? I'm not saying that this is any proof or evidence of anything, but it's just an interesting coincidence that I wanted to point out.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I almost had a heart attack. I saw my YouTube notifications and i saw that Nintendo uploaded a trailer for Shantae and the Seven Sirens and misread it at first as Legend of the Seven Stars.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
The floodgates are already bursting, we've gotten quite a lot of stuff from Nintendo today, and it's not even 1:30 on the East coast, not even 10:30 AM over on the West! June's gonna be nutty.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai: "And here you'll see that Geno is #77. This is because he comes from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the SEVEN Stars. Do you get it? DO YOU GET IT, YOU PIECE OF ****!?! GET THE JOKE, DUMBASS?!? Do you have ANY idea how many strings I had to pull and favors I had to call in to pull this off? 14 ****IN' YEARS' WORTH! YOU STUPID SWEAT STAINED ******** BETTER BE GRATEFUL FOR THE CHEAP LAUGH OR SO HELP ME... SO HELP ME!!!!!!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom