• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
What does this Video of Terminal Montage mean? He is going to create a sequence of Rosalina and Geno; or he knows something and Geno news are coming soon?

50DD3B5D-3D59-4C86-8785-FED5D4FBC792.png

(sorry i clicked double post)

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Man, if Paper Mario got in to promote Origami King, it'd feel like a double slap on the face for me. Once for getting in before Geno despite being significantly less requested, and another for more than likely using Sticker Star and Color Splash as inspirations as opposed to the older games. I agree with some of y'all, Paper Mario could have an AMAZING moveset, if the partners and even Pixls were integrated, but if he was just "haha look it's Mario but PAPER", then no dice.

Thankfully, there's not much reason to worry about that as far as I'm concerned. As I said on Discord once, Paper Mario's evidence is paper thin compared to Geno's ****ing Star Hill of evidence. Really, I think Paper Mario is just a flavor the week pick and soon enough he'll fade from speculation for better or for worse. And yup, for me it's definitely for the better!

Also, another reason why I am seriously hoping for Geno, especially this year, is because this year has been absolute trash for me. This was supposed to be my last year of high school and because of this quarantine, my school has been shut down for the rest of the year. I don't get a proper graduation or any of that. Because of that, I have been just down in the dumps recently and if Geno gets revealed for Smash, it would instantly make what is otherwise an absolute terrible year better. So, heres hoping!
I feel you there! Unsurprisingly 2020 has been a dumpster fire for me also, basically the best part about it for me has been playing games and using the internet to mask my borderline depression and unmotivation to do things... that's it. Geno's gonna be our saving grace one he arrives!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
What does this Video of Terminal Montage mean? He is going to create a sequence of Rosalina and Geno; or he knows something and Geno news are coming soon?

View attachment 272558

I expect him to hype up this video because the Geno cameos were a thing a lot of people looked forward too. He did a lot of lore with Geno in his videos , so I expect him to to have something BIG for that video. It must mean a lot to him.
Also Rosalina as a cool space ship queen is awesome.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
As I recall, Jon from Gamexplain has wanted Geno in the past along with xD1x
Yes, he has said that although there are RPG characters that he wants like Geno, Crono or Pyra (Yes, he said pyra without Rex), he feels that FP2 should have more genres like Puzzles because pass one was:
Joker: RPG
Hero: RPG
Banjo: Platforms
Terry: Fighting Games
Byleth: tactical RPG
but pass 2 started with arms which is a fighting game

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yes, he has said that although there are RPG characters that he wants like Geno, Crono or Pyra (Yes, he said pyra without Rex), he feels that FP2 should have more genres like Puzzles because pass one was:
Joker: RPG
Hero: RPG
Banjo: Platforms
Terry: Fighting Games
Byleth: tactical RPG
but pass 2 started with arms which is a fighting game
JRPGs (not Mario RPGs) and traditional fighting games are probably two of my least favorite genres, so with the first pass being full of them, you can see why I was generally dissapointed and slightly regret getting the pass even though Banjo was one of my most wanted.

However, like Smash, ARMS is not a traditional fighting game and I like the look and feel of the world and characters, so I'm satisfied with ARMS getting in. If I see more characters I like or one of my most wanted gets in, I will get the second pass.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The ARMS rep should at least be interesting from a design/gameplay perspective, much like Geno should be

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
The whole Paper Mario in Smash stuff feels like the Geno premium Mii costume stuff in new clothes. Just something with no basis or backing that gets thrown into the mix because it technically could happen.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
The whole Paper Mario in Smash stuff feels like the Geno premium Mii costume stuff in new clothes. Just something with no basis or backing that gets thrown into the mix because it technically could happen.
It's all PapaGenos Discord server fearmongering. There is zero reason to pay attention to it.

D

Deleted member

Absolutely this. There is literally no evidence pointing Geno being a deluxe, updated, premium whatever costume. It all came from Sans and Cuphead and apparently they see Geno has a perfect fit getting that treatment. It’s all just a baseless hypothetical scenario. We’re not gonna have a Geno costume with 2 freakin tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
I think that everyone is worrying too much about Paper Mario being in Smash, not every character from a new Nintendo game has to be a promotional pick. Nintendo doesn't need to promote Origami King through Smash, Mario games always sell well. Did Nintendo put Plastic Link in Smash to promote the Link's Awakening remake? No, because they don't need to, they put a spirit event and nothing else, and that's what is probably going to happen with Origami King. Since Nintendo announced ARMS for Smash everyone started to be paranoid about the FP2 being all promotional picks, seriously calm down, Nintendo has more ways to promote games besides putting characters from those games in Smash.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think that everyone is worrying too much about Paper Mario being in Smash, not every character from a new Nintendo game has to be a promotional pick. Nintendo doesn't need to promote Origami King through Smash, Mario games always sell well. Did Nintendo put Plastic Link in Smash to promote the Link's Awakening remake? No, because they don't need to, they put a spirit event and nothing else, and that's what is probably going to happen with Origami King. Since Nintendo announced ARMS for Smash everyone started to be paranoid about the FP2 being all promotional picks, seriously calm down, Nintendo has more ways to promote games besides putting characters from those games in Smash.
Precisely, and that logic doesn't hold up if there's a spirit event to promote it, like the people who say there will be a Gen 8 Pokemon despite the fact a spirit event for Sword and Shield already happened

Polarthief

Smash Lord
or he knows something and Geno news are coming soon?
It wouldn't be a Winter video if it was connected to insider news. Summer or Fall, not Winter.

Man, if Paper Mario got in to promote Origami King, it'd feel like a double slap on the face for me. Once for getting in before Geno despite being significantly less requested, and another for more than likely using Sticker Star and Color Splash as inspirations as opposed to the older games. I agree with some of y'all, Paper Mario could have an AMAZING moveset, if the partners and even Pixls were integrated, but if he was just "haha look it's Mario but PAPER", then no dice.
I'd be pretty devastated myself, yeah.

I feel you there! Unsurprisingly 2020 has been a dumpster fire for me also, basically the best part about it for me has been playing games and using the internet to mask my borderline depression and unmotivation to do things...
Same here, and quarantine isn't helping one bit! ACNH was neat... for like, most of April and that was it. I've already stopped doing my daily stuff since I basically "play" through my mom now who is mega-addicted to it. She *doesn't* play video games and we literally bought a Switch just for her.

If I get Geno though, 2020 will bounce back pretty damn nicely, hopefully with SMAS 2 and LoZAS 1 (Legend of Zelda All-Stars)/BOTW 2?

It's all PapaGenos Discord server fearmongering. There is zero reason to pay attention to it.
It certainly didn't help that he's all "yeah I'd *like* Geno playable, but this would be totally fine" in regards to PM getting in and Geno being costumed. When you support a character, you shouldn't just settle like that. That's why I've chosen to go all-in for Geno.

Genos is a great guy and I'm glad he's always brimming with positivity, but the entire part about PM/Geno just really rubbed me the wrong way.

This is true, especially given that we didn't get a promotional pick for ACNH and Nintendo has pushed that game to hell and back. Isabelle was a fan-request due to her popularity from ACNL/PC.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's honestly demoralizing to see him be okay and settle for a deluxe costume for Geno.
He just doesn't want to get his hopes up, and I can completely empathize with that. I'd like to say I was the same way for Banjo & Kazooie back in the day. But at least he's keeping it relatively to himself isn't ****ting up this thread trying to bring anyone else down like someone else used to do.

Omg guys, this is like a melt-steel-beams theory, but if Joker's Amiibo (#1) comes with the ARMS rep (#6), it would make sense that Hero's Amiibo (#2) would come with DLC #7, and with how SE has been with keeping their content separate from all the peasant companies, that would mean it's very likely the SE rep would be next, right?

Again, insanely out there theory, who knows if we'll even be getting Joker's Amiibo with DLC #6, but just something to think about.
It's possible. I think it's very likely we'll be getting another SquareEnix character this time around, especially since we still have a costume or two from them that hasn't returned yet, and SquareEnix tends to only release stuff on their own terms alongside their own fighters.

After watching PapaGeno's latest video, I have to say that Paper Mario would be one of the most underwhelming characters they could possibly include. I would love to see Paper Mario in Smash, but as DLC? Hell no. Yes, Paper Mario would have a unique moveset, but its still another Mario and it would be a bit disappointing to pay for yet another Mario. That is why I don't entertain the idea of BOTW 2 Zelda getting included, because would people really want to pay for another Zelda? To top that off, I have little faith in Nintendo at making Paper Mario's moveset justice since it seems like they don't give two s****s about the older Paper Mario games, and I guarantee that Nintendo would want his moveset to be more focused on paper then it is on the RPG gimmicks and partners. I would want Paper Mario, but ONLY IF his moveset was primarily based on the older games. If his moveset ends up being based on the newer games, then this would be the first Smash character I would genuinely be angry with, especially with how much is in Geno's favor AND how much we all have been waiting for him. At this point, it would be a huge slap to the face for anyone who has wanted Geno for all this time.
I honestly don't understand why people believe that the Smash team would base Paper Mario entirely off of the newer games as opposed to the older ones. I think it's beyond evident that Sakurai bases the designs of characters based on their most popular appearances:
  • Snake appearance was based on his design from MGS 1 and 2 rather than his older design from MGS4.
  • Mega Man's design for Smash was based on his sprites from the games rather than his official artwork, due to the sprites proportions being both easier to visualize and very iconic to the character.
  • Pac-Man uses his classic, full-bodied design from earlier titles like Pac-Land and the Pac-Man World series rather than his more recent design from The Ghosty Adventures. In fact, Sakurai went on record stating that he would have outright cut Pac-Man from the game if Bandai-Namco forced him to use his Ghostly Adventures design.
  • Ridley's design was a blending of his appearances in Super Metroid and Other M, scaled down to a size similar to his NES appearance.
  • King K. Rool's design was a mix between his classic appearance and his later redesign; He has his belly armor and tail from the former, but he also has the crystal connecting his cape around his neck and his tail is much shorter.
  • Simon used his classic barbarian design from the older games instead of his modern, Death Note-esque redesign. Similarly, Richter looks as he did in Rondo of Blood rather than Symphony of the Night.
  • Banjo & Kazooie use their classic design rather than the one made for Nuts'N'Bolts. In this instance they even managed to incorporate a design concept that were originally supposed to exist in the classic games but couldn't due to technical limitations, that which being a bottom flap for their backpack that would appear when using Talon Trop or pooping out eggs.
Sakurai has always been good about using the designs that are iconic to the characters. If Paper Mario were added to Smash, there's little doubt in my mind he would go out of his way to utilize stuff from the older games first and foremost.

I don’t know if it’s because I woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something - but that latest papaGenos video has sowed a serious seed of doubt in me about Geno getting in.

I can certainly see Nintendo choosing Paper Mario over Geno (and who can blame them?). Also, the fact that Paper Mario OK is coming out in July and that may be close to the reveal/announcement of fighter #7 is making me a bit nervous. Unfortunately, I think Paper Mario as a smash character has a lot of momentum right now.

Obviously I want Geno more than any other character, but I can’t help but feel a bit nervous today for his chances.
I wouldn't worry. People said the same thing about Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, and a bunch of other games, and they only got Spirits thus far. Just because a new game gets announced that doesn't mean that a character from that game will be getting into Smash. Smash characters tend to be picked very early on and rarely are done to coincide with the release of something else.

View attachment 272558

It's the beginning of the Terminal Montage Cinematic Universe. This is just a teaser for a series of videos where they recruit other celestial or time-related characters like Ristar or Blinx to stop the Speed Demons from taking over the world.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
He just doesn't want to get his hopes up, and I can completely empathize with that. I'd like to say I was the same way for Banjo & Kazooie back in the day. But at least he's keeping it relatively to himself isn't ****ting up this thread trying to bring anyone else down like someone else used to do.
Yes I know I'm sorry I'm such a ****. :( (even though you probably weren't talking about me) That said, I guess that's fair, but when people listen to you, what kind of message do you think that tells people, y'know?

Sakurai has always been good about using the designs that are iconic to the characters. If Paper Mario were added to Smash, there's little doubt in my mind he would go out of his way to utilize stuff from the older games first and foremost.
It's more the worry that he would use things from the new games that people really don't want to see. His hands could also be tied by Nintendo as they force him to do "haha funny pahpurr" memes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't consider Paper Mario competition for Geno to be honest. The only characters I could feasibly consider competition for Geno are other characters owned by Square. Frankly, even if the recent games haven't been the best, I can't really be against Paper Mario conceptually

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yes I know I'm sorry I'm such a ****. :( (even though you probably weren't talking about me)
Yeah, wasn't talking about you. Thought it was obvious, but I probably should've specified.

That said, I guess that's fair, but when people listen to you, what kind of message do you think that tells people, y'know?
Personally, I think if you're basing how likely you think a character is for Smash based solely on someone else's feelings rather than your own feelings or logical deductions, then you kind of deserve to feel like ****.

It's more the worry that he would use things from the new games that people really don't want to see. His hands could also be tied by Nintendo as they force him to do "haha funny pahpurr" memes.
The whole "lol paper" thing is more of a story, character and world thing than it is a mechanics thing. Mechanically speaking, there's not really a way to incorporate jokes like that into his potential Smash moveset. Unless you consider the very concept of his being made of paper utilized in combat as "lol paper", which I hoghly doubt seeing as nobody has a problem with the curse effects from TTYD possibly making it in his moveset.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah, wasn't talking about you. Thought it was obvious, but I probably should've specified.
Lol I know you weren't, but I am a depressive, pessimistic, ass, so I can be a handful sometimes when I'm like "all hope is lost, ree", like Monokuma getting into my head or something.

Personally, I think if you're baseing how likely you think a character is for Smash based solely on someone else's feelings rather than your own feelings or logical deductions, then you kind of deserve to feel like ****.
I totally get that, which is why I'm not losing hope because of him. I'm just trying to make sense for why people are suddenly feeling like Geno's chances are bad. Just because another (very likely) mediocre Paper Mario is coming out? Nah.

The whole "lol paper" thing is more of a story, character and world thing than it is a mechanics thing. Mechanically speaking, there's not really a way to incorporate jokes like that into his potential Smash moveset. Unless you consider the very concept of his being made of paper utilized in combat as "lol paper", which I hoghly doubt seeing as nobody has a problem with the curse effects from TTYD possibly making it in his moveset.
Final Smash is "lol paper" and one of his attacks is pulling out a fan to blow people away. Next he's gonna have those "lol paper arms" from tOK and start tossing stickers and cards for projectiles. Honestly I could see it happening if Nintendo's like "push modern pap mayo with his moveset".

MattX20

Smash Hero
This is probably the most active I've been on the Geno thread in a while. I'm just hoping the reveals that happen in June are worth the wait

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Final Smash is "lol paper" and one of his attacks is pulling out a fan to blow people away. Next he's gonna have those "lol paper arms" from tOK and start tossing stickers and cards for projectiles. Honestly I could see it happening if Nintendo's like "push modern pap mayo with his moveset".
While we know that Nintendo has at least some say in who gets in, I highly doubt that they'd be so intrusive about Paper Mario specifically that they'd strongarm Sakurai into not utilizing anything from the older games so as to mostly or solely advertise the new stuff. As it stands right now, they have the S.S. Flavion as part of the mostly Sticker Star-centric Paper Mario stage, complete with Rogueport section in the medley. There's the numerous trophies in past games which heavily reference the older games. There's also the selection of Spirits in this game, which include the likes of Kammy Koopa, Vivian, and Dimentio.

If Nintendo's really that anal about stuff like that, then honestly they're doing a **** job of it, because Sakurai sure as hell seems to be referencing a lot of classic Pap Mayo stuff.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
While we know that Nintendo has at least some say in who gets in, I highly doubt that they'd be so intrusive about Paper Mario specifically that they'd strongarm Sakurai into not utilizing anything from the older games so as to mostly or solely advertise the new stuff. As it stands right now, they have the S.S. Flavion as part of the mostly Sticker Star-centric Paper Mario stage, complete with Rogueport section in the medley. There's the numerous trophies in past games which heavily reference the older games. There's also the selection of Spirits in this game, which include the likes of Kammy Koopa, Vivian, and Dimentio.

If Nintendo's really that anal about stuff like that, then honestly they're doing a **** job of it, because Sakurai sure as hell seems to be referencing a lot of classic Pap Mayo stuff.
I figure they don't push movesets, that was mostly memes, I just really hope they're not gonna be butts and sack Geno over this. That'd just be another reason for me to hate tOK.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
The ARMS rep should at least be interesting from a design/gameplay perspective, much like Geno should be
Both sakurai and Nintendo have said that the ARMS character will have a Gameplay style that no Ultimate character has had, I am 100% sure that it will be one of the funniest characters on the roster

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Both sakurai and Nintendo have said that the ARMS character will have a Gameplay style that no Ultimate character has had, I am 100% sure that it will be one of the funniest characters on the roster
So they will hold the sword at the blade and attack with the hilt?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I honestly don't understand why people believe that the Smash team would base Paper Mario entirely off of the newer games as opposed to the older ones. I think it's beyond evident that Sakurai bases the designs of characters based on their most popular appearances:
  • Snake appearance was based on his design from MGS 1 and 2 rather than his older design from MGS4.
  • Mega Man's design for Smash was based on his sprites from the games rather than his official artwork, due to the sprites proportions being both easier to visualize and very iconic to the character.
  • Pac-Man uses his classic, full-bodied design from earlier titles like Pac-Land and the Pac-Man World series rather than his more recent design from The Ghosty Adventures. In fact, Sakurai went on record stating that he would have outright cut Pac-Man from the game if Bandai-Namco forced him to use his Ghostly Adventures design.
  • Ridley's design was a blending of his appearances in Super Metroid and Other M, scaled down to a size similar to his NES appearance.
  • King K. Rool's design was a mix between his classic appearance and his later redesign; He has his belly armor and tail from the former, but he also has the crystal connecting his cape around his neck and his tail is much shorter.
  • Simon used his classic barbarian design from the older games instead of his modern, Death Note-esque redesign. Similarly, Richter looks as he did in Rondo of Blood rather than Symphony of the Night.
  • Banjo & Kazooie use their classic design rather than the one made for Nuts'N'Bolts. In this instance they even managed to incorporate a design concept that were originally supposed to exist in the classic games but couldn't due to technical limitations, that which being a bottom flap for their backpack that would appear when using Talon Trop or pooping out eggs.
Oh most definitely and if their is anyone that would be able to do Paper Mario justice, its definitely Sakurai. I still sometimes have that small feeling that Nintendo would want some paper gimmick tied to him, which would make me absolutely hate the inclusion if he ended up that way.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
PapaGenos went over it in his newest vid, something about a trademark or something that was similar to BK? Idk, I watched it like right when I was waking up.

I'm very weird on Rayman because of Altair/Rabbid being Mii costumes already. Seems odd to throw Rayman out there *now* when they could have held off on them for his pack and replaced them with something else for Byleth, y'know?
Yeah I agree. I also know he's simply not popular in Japan which I think isn't a death sentence but definitely does not help his cause. Rayman is like my second most wanted (I kind of flip flop between him and Crash for second but right now Rayman is second) so I'd love it if he came but I just don't think he has a chance any more due to those costumes.

The following is not directed at any one person and just had my general thoughts: As for Paper Mario I mean yeah people go crazy with "hey new thing! = New Smash character" BUT I honestly can't blame people anymore for that after Byleth. People were like "nah they wouldn't do that to us", "they wouldn't be that stupid", "they wouldn't stoop that low when there are so many other more requested and popular characters..." Then Nintendo said "Bam mother ****ing Byleth in your face you idiots!" Nintendo is obsessed with testing the patience and limits of it's fans for the purpose of some kind of experiment to see what lengths they can go to to initiate full hype mode and more often than not completely miss the mark and have it backfire in their faces only for them to learn absolutely nothing from said experiment. So don't tell me that Paper Mario is not a possibility and I shouldn't be worried people because I am worried and reasonably so. Geno has been shafted for much less. I do agree that Geno's main concern is not Paper Mario but another SE character but who the heck knows at this point.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree. I also know he's simply not popular in Japan which I think isn't a death sentence but definitely does not help his cause
I actually think he's not doing too poorly in Japan all things considered. He does abysmal in PAL regions (Europe for example) since no one in those regions have any nostalgia for him. I thought it was on Japan's top 10 for a bit though, but does way better in America.

That said though, we have gotten Banjo & Kazooie and Terry of all characters, so... (seriously, Terry was so far under the radar for everyone)

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see a Geno premium Mii Costume if the alternative is his Smash 4 Mii Costume or him being MIA. Seeing what they've done to Cuphead and Sans was incredible.

Also Paper Mario is a 3rd Mario only in name, he would play absolutely nothing like either of the two Marios.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I actually think he's not doing too poorly in Japan all things considered. He does abysmal in PAL regions (Europe for example) since no one in those regions have any nostalgia for him. I thought it was on Japan's top 10 for a bit though, but does way better in America.

That said though, we have gotten Banjo & Kazooie and Terry of all characters, so... (seriously, Terry was so far under the radar for everyone)
Wait what?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Wait what?
"Wait what" what? That he's not terrible in Japan, that no one in Europe has nostalgia for him, or that Terry wasn't on anyone's radar? What did I say false there?

I might be wrong about the top 10 in Japan thing; I could have sworn I remember seeing him low on Japan's list (low as in he was #10 or #9) when people were posting those "top 10 by region" pictures, but that's also not from the "official" poll since we'll never have those anyway.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'm am in such disbelief that Geno could come to the game that Sakurai could come over to my house, show me a 3D model of Geno on my computer and I'd think he'd be pranking me.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
"Wait what" what? That he's not terrible in Japan, that no one in Europe has nostalgia for him, or that Terry wasn't on anyone's radar? What did I say false there?

I might be wrong about the top 10 in Japan thing; I could have sworn I remember seeing him low on Japan's list (low as in he was #10 or #9) when people were posting those "top 10 by region" pictures, but that's also not from the "official" poll since we'll never have those anyway.
I though that you were talking about Rayman, lol. I'm very stupid sometimes.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Why are we all of a sudden thinking Paper Mario is going to snub Geno to promote Origami King? Mario games sell well as is and they don't need to be promoted.

Literally all of this is just PapaGenos' discord fearmongering. Origami King being announced has changed nothing, other than it maybe getting a Spirit event down the line.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I though that you were talking about Rayman, lol. I'm very stupid sometimes.
Nah meng, this is the Hee-noh thread, though going back to SpiritofRuin's post, I can see where the confusion happened. Just to be clear, that entire post you said "wait what?" to was about the blue doll, not Rayman.

That said, for anyone who cares, 100% indifferent towards Rayman and Crash. I think I've played like 1 Rayman game on the GBA and 0 Crash games. Hope everyone here who wants them gets them, but I really don't care about them myself.

Why are we all of a sudden thinking Paper Mario is going to snub Geno to promote Origami King? Mario games sell well as is and they don't need to be promoted.

Literally all of this is just PapaGenos' discord fearmongering. Origami King being announced has changed nothing, other than it maybe getting a Spirit event down the line.
It's been more than his Discord; this topic got a revival since the day tOK was revealed. That said, since Byleth and now ARMS, people are understandably worried that Nintendo just wants to start pushing more shill/ad picks. It's not just fearmongering when it could actually happen. I'm still confident in Geno's chances, but if I see a flat Mario anywhere near Smash, I'm packing it up.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's been more than his Discord; this topic got a revival since the day tOK was revealed. That said, since Byleth and now ARMS, people are understandably worried that Nintendo just wants to start pushing more shill/ad picks. It's not just fearmongering when it could actually happen. I'm still confident in Geno's chances, but if I see a flat Mario anywhere near Smash, I'm packing it up.
Well Mario does way better than either of those, so I still don't see why Origami King needs to be promoted. Again, outside a Spirit event that'll probably happen.

Remind me how this is any different than people claiming King Boo is coming to promote Luigi's Mansion 3?

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Remind me how this is any different than people claiming King Boo is coming to promote Luigi's Mansion 3?
It's not necessarily, except Paper Mario actually was quite a fan-requested character while King Boo wasn't nearly as popular (Geno still beats both of them though in fan-demand). I was also not at all on the King Boo train, but I do think Nintendo could be a big dumb, considering they've been a really big dumb since September 2019.

I still think Geno's gonna take the spot, but instead of the 99%+ I was feeling, it's more like 98% now.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's not necessarily, except Paper Mario actually was quite a fan-requested character while King Boo wasn't nearly as popular (Geno still beats both of them though in fan-demand). I was also not at all on the King Boo train, but I do think Nintendo could be a big dumb, considering they've been a really big dumb since September 2019.

I still think Geno's gonna take the spot, but instead of the 99%+ I was feeling, it's more like 98% now.
I'd place Paper Mario in that group of characters that have support but never really enough since most of his supporters have moved on to other characters. Tons of support during the Brawl and especially Smash 4 days, but now you rarely see him in discussion.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I'm very weird on Rayman because of Altair/Rabbid being Mii costumes already. Seems odd to throw Rayman out there *now* when they could have held off on them for his pack and replaced them with something else for Byleth, y'know?
The way I see it is Nintendo eliminating competition for other Ubisoft characters themselves for Rayman (unless they decide to do Sam Fisher, which would be hilarious)

Even then Rayman still has some decent costume options for his own series like a Lum Hat, Rayman hoodie, The Magician outfit (either classic or Origins), etc.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I mean... sure, it's possible Paper Mario could get in before Geno. It's in the realm of possibility.

It's also possible Sakurai could go back on his statement on video game characters only and add Goku. Likely? No. But possible? Yes, it is in the realm of possibility.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it will happen. I'd expect the Geno fanbase of any supporters to know this better than anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom