• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
With Cacomallow, while I lean it being real and I'm rooting for it, I am not riding on it 100%. Mainly to keep expectations in check

That being said, I haven't really found any convincing arguments as to why it's fake. Modders still haven't found a way to replicate it 100% even though it's been months since Cacomallow dropped

Ether way, I think we should find out soon. If DLC 7 & 8 don't have ether costume attached to them, then it's most likely fake

Firox

Smash Master
You nailed it sir.
Have a question for you guys.
Let just say in the event Geno doesn't get into the fighting game but Nintendo gives us a solid remake/sequel.
Forgiven? No Hard feelings?

For me I dont know ive been a longtime supporter just as long as Fatman though of course im much less vocal.
I think i would feel happy/sad not sure. hmmm.
Me, personally? I'd be super content with a full SMRPG remake or sequel in lieu of Geno not getting into Smash. Sure, I'd be pretty bummed, but at least we'd get to see an HD Geno in his original element which some people could argue is a better utilization of him. Plus, if people were dead set on seeing him fight more fluidly instead of simply turned-based RPG style, the devs could always revamp the battle engine of the remake/sequel to be something more akin to Xenoblade, Tales of Vesperia or FF7R.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Just a friendly PSA

I'm officially no longer predicting King Boo, so the random uninstigated pot-shots and call out posts people make in here from time to time as well as the DMs harassing me about it can go ahead and stop now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a friendly PSA

I'm officially no longer predicting King Boo, so the random uninstigated pot-shots and call out posts people make in here from time to time as well as the DMs harassing me about it can go ahead and stop now.
...Please tell me you're outright reporting anyone actually harassing you. If someone is via PM's(note that DM's are not a thing on Smashboards. PM's is our system here. Seems silly, but Discord users might mistake it), that needs to be reported. Nobody should be giving you grief for anything as is.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Just a friendly PSA

People harassed you over King Boo? Geez; I mean, harassing someone because of any character (or anything really) is stupid, but good gosh.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
...Please tell me you're outright reporting anyone actually harassing you. If someone is via PM's(note that DM's are not a thing on Smashboards. PM's is our system here. Seems silly, but Discord users might mistake it), that needs to be reported. Nobody should be giving you grief for anything as is.
People harassed you over King Boo? Geez; I mean, harassing someone because of any character (or anything really) is stupid, but good gosh.
Thanks. Most of it is just individual messages about how I'm wrong about King Boo and he's never getting in because no one wants him. I like to give people second chances so I tell them to leave me alone and if they do then I don't report. I appreciate the concern!
So now your predictions are?
I'm thinking Ribbongirl, Geno, Rayman, Lloyd, Crash, and Rex.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You nailed it sir.
Have a question for you guys.
Let just say in the event Geno doesn't get into the fighting game but Nintendo gives us a solid remake/sequel.
Forgiven? No Hard feelings?

For me I dont know ive been a longtime supporter just as long as Fatman though of course im much less vocal.
I think i would feel happy/sad not sure. hmmm.
A remake/sequel would be amazing for obvious reasons. I think a big reason why a lot of us have attached ourselves to Geno for Smash is because getting into Smash is a statement is its own right while becoming playable in Smash is an absurdly high honor, especially now. Basically Smash went from "Nintendo: the Game" to "Videogames: the Game" and even as far back as Smash 64 people knew that the series was too ambitious to stick with just Nintendo forever. There's also the simple reality that, after Melee, it became immediately apparent that Smash gets the ball rolling on bigger fan requests. Obviously Fire Emblem is by far the biggest Smash success story but the sheer number of localizations, reboots, rereleases, and remakes that can be accredited to Smash is a big reason why fanbases get so caught up and so invested in Smash speculation. For example, if you don't think Nintendo's waiting for just the right moment to bring K. Rool into a major DK game now, you're extremely naive.

Smash is a gateway to bigger and better things and why developers are beside themselves with utter joy just to get spirits and costumes in Smash. Geno fans saw Snake and Pit in the first Brawl trailer and it instantly lit a fire because Pit was a super obscure character before his Melee cameo and Snake getting in before much more "obvious" Nintendo third party icons like Megaman and Bomberman established that Nintendo wasn't always going to go with the most "obvious" choices. For Geno, Smash hasn't been the ultimate prize but rather bringing Geno (and Mallow) back in a meaningful way so if Nintendo just flat out did a true SMRPG sequel it's still a win.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
My thing with Cacomallow is this. If I'm a crazy good modder who can make official quality smash content by myself, I'm not going to just make a fake leak. I'm going to show everyone my skill, attach my name to it, and become the biggest name in the modding community.

People make fake leaks for two reasons. First, to become internet famous. Cacomallow is anonymous and if it's fake the person could be more famous by just making mods.

The second reason is to mess with the fanbase. If the leaker wanted to screw with doomguy and Geno fans, they'd have made Geno and Doomguy costumes, not Cacodamon and Mallow which don't even mean anything definitive for either character.

There's just no reason for it to be fake.
That's an excellent point I rarely ever see brought up! The motivation to forge the Cacomallow leak, if it is fake, doesn't line up. If you had sufficient enough skill to make Mii Costumes of such high quality that they even mystify the most talented folks in the Smash Ultimate modding community, then why in the hell would you choose to anonymously fool a very specific subset of the Smash fanbase and gain virtually nothing from it instead of garnering the attention and praise such prowess would give you? I get that people do things out of spite or just out of sick amusement, but the difference between what's in for either alternative is just too much.

Even if you were to suggest it could be a publicity stunt similar to Artsy Omni's Rayman leak and that the modder will come out of the woodwork eventually, it'd be tremendously ineffective to have it several months in the making when most people have either dismissed it or forgotten about it, and I just can't see anyone doing that either.

Really, overall you'd have to make a lot of assumptions to justify why it's fake compared to it being a genuine leak, and while I'm not throwing out the idea of it being fake entirely, I just can't agree to that with what we have as of now. Or as the saying goes, Cacomallow is real.

Just a friendly PSA

Jesus, are people seriously that petty? I'm sorry it had to be this way for you, nobody deserves to be harassed, let alone by wanting and speculating about a ****ing Smash character. Hope this can be over for you soon enough.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
A remake/sequel would be amazing for obvious reasons. I think a big reason why a lot of us have attached ourselves to Geno for Smash is because getting into Smash is a statement is its own right while becoming playable in Smash is an absurdly high honor, especially now. Basically Smash went from "Nintendo: the Game" to "Videogames: the Game" and even as far back as Smash 64 people knew that the series was too ambitious to stick with just Nintendo forever. There's also the simple reality that, after Melee, it became immediately apparent that Smash gets the ball rolling on bigger fan requests. Obviously Fire Emblem is by far the biggest Smash success story but the sheer number of localizations, reboots, rereleases, and remakes that can be accredited to Smash is a big reason why fanbases get so caught up and so invested in Smash speculation. For example, if you don't think Nintendo's waiting for just the right moment to bring K. Rool into a major DK game now, you're extremely naive.

Smash is a gateway to bigger and better things and why developers are beside themselves with utter joy just to get spirits and costumes in Smash. Geno fans saw Snake and Pit in the first Brawl trailer and it instantly lit a fire because Pit was a super obscure character before his Melee cameo and Snake getting in before much more "obvious" Nintendo third party icons like Megaman and Bomberman established that Nintendo wasn't always going to go with the most "obvious" choices. For Geno, Smash hasn't been the ultimate prize but rather bringing Geno (and Mallow) back in a meaningful way so if Nintendo just flat out did a true SMRPG sequel it's still a win.
So we are in videogame: the game boards?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

I'll be honest, Sakurai saying Ultimate is a game that celebrates the history of videogames is a bit of a lie to me since there are very few characters and other types of content coming from non-Japanese companies to Japanese ones. I am well aware that this game is a Japanese-developed one with the creator being Japanese but it still certainly is a game that celebrates Japanese gaming and not games from all over the world.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Even if you were to suggest it could be a publicity stunt similar to Artsy Omni's Rayman leak and that the modder will come out of the woodwork eventually, it'd be tremendously ineffective to have it several months in the making when most people have either dismissed it or forgotten about it, and I just can't see anyone doing that either.
Omni lasted like, a week, before he came out and said it was fake. (Also, one thing I always wanted to say about Omni's Rayman: the Rayman art is stellar, but lordy the Mewtwo render did not look believable at all). CacoMallow guy (if we're assuming it's fake for the sake of an argument) has gone over half a year of being tight lipped. I don't think letting it simmer for longer would help any potential modding career this dude could've had. People who believed the leak would be pissed because it got their hopes up and the rest of the community would stop caring because they wrote CacoMallow off as fake the first chance they got.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sigran101 Sigran101 It's **** like this why I'm clocking out of Smash speculation once Ultimate's done just because it's just gotten so ugly. Like I said in my last post, I get why people get so invested in it but the kind of stuff that's practically encouraged nowadays is beyond grotesque. Hate mail, doxx attempts, people trying to get into my email, Facebook, and even bank accounts, etc over video game speculation is wild enough but then talking about it and then having a uncomfortably large amount of people be like "that sucks but..." and then try to justify it for reasons as petty as character support just reminds me that I'm 32 and being invested in this for a decade and a half is long enough.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
D

Deleted member

The most exciting part of this is that the tournament is actually going to be played with legit tournament rules instead of Nintendo's usual "All items, Stages and Smash Meters On". Could Tendo actually be thinking of supporting competitive play? And this right after getting kicked out of EVO. Interesting...
They've been listening to the professionals in regards to these rulesets for about a year, now, actually. The tournaments baked into the game are still dog**** but these sponsored ones have really picked up. Stage list could use some work, still, imo.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My guess is with this online tournament, we'll figure out who the ARMS fighter is before June 14th and possibly FP7. The fact they're giving away ARMS download codes as a prize is more than likely meant to tie in

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, I haven't heard anything to the effect but I'm kind of hard side-eyeing Nintendo right now because they've reeeeeeeally been pushing Splatoon 2 since January and it's already been leaked that Splatoon is getting an Amiibo dump in September for some weird reason. Given the megaton rumors we're already entertaining for this summer, Nintendo saying "**** it, here's Splatoon 3" wouldn't surprise me at all at this point. On this note, how the ever loving **** the Mario Remasters and possibly Metroid and DK leaked but this didn't is beyond me.

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know, I haven't heard anything to the effect but I'm kind of hard side-eyeing Nintendo right now because they've reeeeeeeally been pushing Splatoon 2 since January and it's already been leaked that Splatoon is getting an Amiibo dump in September for some weird reason. Given the megaton rumors we're already entertaining for this summer, Nintendo saying "**** it, here's Splatoon 3" wouldn't surprise me at all at this point. On this note, how the ever loving **** the Mario Remasters and possibly Metroid and DK leaked but this didn't is beyond me.
It's weird that both Splatoon 2 and ARMS got significant boosts in promotions as of late.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I think it's more Nintendo is trying to push their existing online games more. What exactly is THIS you are referring to?

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
It's weird that both Splatoon 2 and ARMS got significant boosts in promotions as of late.
especially since before the direct something related to arms was announced (I don't remember what) and people said "He's alive !!!" and then came the direct with ARMS in CP6 and with the free trial and now the same thing happens with Splatoon 2
I don't know what will happen, I doubt a splatoon character in pass 2 but I feel something is coming

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it's more Nintendo is trying to push their existing online games more. What exactly is THIS you are referring to?
One of the prizes of the upcoming online Smash tournament is a free copy of Splatoon 2 along with ARMS. This is also on top of the out of the blue Splatoon 2 updates Nintendo did in January and April, Nintendo bringing back Splatfest out of nowhere, and the leaked Splatoon Amiibo rerelease this September that even includes original Splatoon Amiibo like Callie and Marie.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Last time from me since June is almost here. Which ARMS character(s) is coming as Challenger 6?
Screenshot_20200326-093028_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-094312_YouTube.jpg

D

Deleted member

Nintendo treats Splatoon like it's their flagship esports franchise despite it having limited options for customizing your game mode and no way of changing the rules of a game mode to the degree that a competitive environment would appreciate, and they launched ARMS under the same premise of being a breakout esports success, all while treating Smash like it's just a family party game despite what is likely millions of competitive players worldwide at all skill levels. It feels like they're using the success of Smash as a springboard to continue to follow this pipe dream of Splatoon and ARMS being anywhere near as popular or seen as world class esports titles, but it'll be a cold day in hell before ARMS shows up at EVO, I'll tell them that much.

Another explanation is that Nintendo's just trying to push their esports titles since they can't do much in person advertisement or events like they may have had planned. Nintendo does still send out a lot of promotional stations with their big titles on them at select malls and other retailers and typically give away tons of free swag with absolutely no purchase necessary, just as brand recognition. They're gonna end up saving a small fortune on advertisement costs during this pandemic.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Maybe there is a splatoon spin-off coming later this year or 2021? I think that they will reserve Splatoon 3 for next Switch generation. There is still more potential for Splatoon 2.

as for Arms, I think that next MK team game is coming this year, maybe its an Arms sequel, maybe a new Nintendogs or a new game (as a new IP or revival of an old IP). Anything that is different from a MK9 is welcome.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
One of the prizes of the upcoming online Smash tournament is a free copy of Splatoon 2 along with ARMS. This is also on top of the out of the blue Splatoon 2 updates Nintendo did in January and April, Nintendo bringing back Splatfest out of nowhere, and the leaked Splatoon Amiibo rerelease this September that even includes original Splatoon Amiibo like Callie and Marie.
Nothing about that really implies a Splatoon 3 though. It's interesting they seem to be trying to revitalize the game but I don't see a Splatoon 3 happening anytime soon. Spinoff feels much more likely.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This post was warned for flaming/harassment content. This sort of language is not ok and, while the frustration behind is understandable, this is not an appropriate response.
Just a friendly PSA

Sigran101 Sigran101 It's **** like this why I'm clocking out of Smash speculation once Ultimate's done just because it's just gotten so ugly. Like I said in my last post, I get why people get so invested in it but the kind of stuff that's practically encouraged nowadays is beyond grotesque. Hate mail, doxx attempts, people trying to get into my email, Facebook, and even bank accounts, etc over video game speculation is wild enough but then talking about it and then having a uncomfortably large amount of people be like "that sucks but..." and then try to justify it for reasons as petty as character support just reminds me that I'm 32 and being invested in this for a decade and a half is long enough.
Reminder that zoomers and late term woke millennials have the potential to ruin everything. Even something as fun as Smash Bros. This is why Geno needs to happen and stomp these little cretins out for good. Go back to Disney World and leave us alone filthy zoomers.

D

Deleted member

Maybe there is a splatoon spin-off coming
I don't see a Splatoon 3 happening anytime soon. Spinoff feels much more likely.
spinoff mind going on in here...

I'm down for the idea of a Splatoon and ARMS spinoff with no or limited focus on multiplayer. Both games have incredible aesthetics and frankly overdeveloped worlds to be essentially nothing more than competitive games. Some kind of platform shooter or run-n-gun Splatoon with no concern for late game player balance would be sick.

Reminder that zoomers and late term woke millennials have the potential to ruin everything. Even something as fun as Smash Bros. This is why Geno needs to happen and stomp these little cretins out for good. Go back to Disney World and leave us alone filthy zoomers.
I agree with you, but there's a good deal of zoomers in this thread right now, supporting our boy. Unless we're gonna start handing out badges promoting them to "honorary 90s baby", it's bad faith to call out the whole generation.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nothing about that really implies a Splatoon 3 though. It's interesting they seem to be trying to revitalize the game but I don't see a Splatoon 3 happening anytime soon. Spinoff feels much more likely.
Right. It doesn't absolutely mean "holy **** guys, here comes Splatoon 3" but it's kind of suspicious either way. Like you and a few others said, it could be foreshadowing a spin-off like "Marie and Marina's Wild Tentacle and Nuru Adventure" or whatever but the point remains is that Nintendo had really been aggressive in promoting an almost three year old game the past five months.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Nintendo has been pushing for Splatoon and ARMS stuff ... it does make me think there could be some annoncmenets for new games for both those platforms. (Splatoon being more popular than ARMS)

Granted ... it does make me worry about the ARMS rep if it is indeed a completely NEW character from the potentially NEW game. Hmmm.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
spinoff mind going on in here...

I'm down for the idea of a Splatoon and ARMS spinoff with no or limited focus on multiplayer. Both games have incredible aesthetics and frankly overdeveloped worlds to be essentially nothing more than competitive games. Some kind of platform shooter or run-n-gun Splatoon with no concern for late game player balance would be sick.

I agree with you, but there's a good deal of zoomers in this thread right now, supporting our boy. Unless we're gonna start handing out badges promoting them to "honorary 90s baby", it's bad faith to call out the whole generation.
Not everyone applies to this. Potential is the word I used. I also didn't exclude millennials out completely because 90s kids can also be pretty terrible. Honestly, everyone who wants to be a Geno fan is valid, but please do not go around attacking others. Especially if it is regarding their thoughts on King Boo being playable. I think that would actually be sick.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
As a zoomer, I apologize on behalf of my kind.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Thinking about all the push some more with Splatton and ARMS ... It has been quite some time since there has been a "new" Mario Kart game for the Switch. (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is fantastic)

It makes me wonder if Nintendo would include more "guest" kart riders. I want the majority to be Mario stuff since it is Mario Kart, but having some more non-mario drivers would be neat.

They can take those rider "slots" from the likes of Pink-Gold Peach, Cat Peach, Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario ... etc.

Geno as a guest for the win.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Thinking about all the push some more with Splatton and ARMS ... It has been quite some time since there has been a "new" Mario Kart game for the Switch. (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is fantastic)

It makes me wonder if Nintendo would include more "guest" kart riders. I want the majority to be Mario stuff since it is Mario Kart, but having some more non-mario drivers would be neat.

They can take those rider "slots" from the likes of Pink-Gold Peach, Cat Peach, Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario ... etc.

Geno as a guest for the win.
Honestly not a fan of introducing more guest riders when we don't even have E Gadd and Diddy Kong in the game yet. Fix the Mario roster first please, atleast the team is moving in a better? direction with Tour, Dixie is a good sign.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom