• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
im sorry but if you think this is a hint to geno, it seems like a reach

Not sure on his credibility, but if he is credible I wouldn’t say it’s that much of a reach.

As previously mentioned, the only shape that you can’t represent with a suit of cards is a star.
It’s weird that would be the only card that has an emphasis placed on it.Considering each character in the game uses a suit as an effect for their specials it does seem too coincidental.

So overall I wouldn’t be surprised if that is a hint for something Geno related.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
edit: One of the very, very few times the professor actual typed the text "geno" in the Geno thread, I'm so proud!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Not sure on his credibility, but if he is credible I wouldn’t say it’s that much of a reach.

As previously mentioned, the only shape that you can’t represent with a suit of cards is a star.
It’s weird that would be the only card that has an emphasis placed on it.

So overall I wouldn’t be surprised if that is a hint for something Geno related.
I think the card with Mario on it also has a star but yeah, the one hes hovering over is the only one that has a star in your face
edit: One of the very, very few times the professor actual typed the text "geno" in the Geno thread, I'm so proud!
could you stop please

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Obviously, more than likely it has nothing to do with it and we are grasping at straws ... just waiting for Smash news to come.
To be completely fair, without the power of hindsight, a good chunk of the insider info Jon seems to drop seems like grasping at straws and reaching. Not a definite hint by a long shot, but an eyebrow raising moment for sure.

QQS

Smash Lord
Anyone think the ARMS or Geno will have a curve ball of some kind? I've noticed that the first trailers of "seasons" and E3 trailers often try to do this.

-Brawl's trailer started with the Melee models and ended with Snake.

-Smash 4's first trailer pretended to be Animal Crossing and ended with Megaman.

-Wii Fit was posed as a new Wii Fit game.

-Mii Fighters revealed the three types and Amiibo.

-Pac-Man was shadowdropped in an after hours presentation.

-Mewtwo and Smash 4 DLC was just flat out announced without warning.

-Ultimate pretended to be a Splatoon trailer.

-Ultimate's E3 trailer started with Smash 4 models.

-Plant was... Plant.

-Joker posed itself as a Persona 5 trailer.

-Hero came with the four ALTs.

-Banjo started the same way as K. Rool's trailer.

I feel like they're going to pull some sort of cheeky bull**** with ARMS more so than Geno because Nintendo spoiled the franchise 2 1/2 months out and the fanfare was mixed at best.

-My prediction is that if we're getting a bonus character in the first half of Season 2, they'll incorporate it into the ARMS trailer. They've already spoiled the franchise so I feel like they're going to subvert expectations in a major way somehow.

-Despite several dozen coincidences that we've documented the last couple of years, I feel like Geno would be enough of a shock to most people to where if Geno came with a "surprise" it would be much smaller in scale. My guess is that they'll either show off the SMRPG costumes or they'll reveal Mallow is somehow incorporated into Geno's moveset.
Hi Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ! How the bonus character would work for you bro? I mean, if each challenger pack have numbers like :

Challenger Pack 6 will be fighter 76
Challenger Pack 7 will be fighter 77
Challenger Pack 8 will be fighter 78
Challenger Pack 9 will be fighter 79
Challenger Pack 10 will be fighter 80
Challenger Pack 11 will be fighter 81

That’s a fact. But for example if they put a bonus character in between the Fighter Pass 2; how does would work for you? I mean, CP6 will still be the Arms rep (76); but if they put Geno as a Bonus Character in between, it will affect the order?

In that case:

-CP6: fighter 76: Arms
-Bonus Character (for example): Geno: 77
-And then continúes the CP7 being “78”?

The most logic thing for me to not affect the number sequences would be this:

Base Game: from 1 to 69
Plant: 70
FP1: 70 to 75
FP2: 76 to 81
-and here the potential bonuses: starting in 82

Sorry if my English doesn’t let you get my point. Best wishes from Chile and hope that Geno falls down into Smash like a Shooting Star! 100% believing!

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Lord Woomy Lord Woomy That's very true, since when I first saw Jon's video about the fighter's pass and who would be on it, I think most of us dismissed the idea of first party fighters since we all assumed "Nah, it's all third party" ... so now after Byleth we know he can be cheeky!

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
You know, it would be funny if Geno ends up being the next character revealed in the same trailer as the Arms rep, since he has literal ARMS that can detract and return.
9F3B6B1E-32C5-424D-8DEF-340B7C7E2E40.jpeg

And maybe in the same trailer, Mario, Peach, Bowser and Mallow could appear in the crowd to cheer on Geno.

Firox

Smash Master
The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn Alright, post is ready.
Actually, he got that from someone other than his usual source who gave him the Mii Costume List, Terry's Spirit Board List, and the Fire Emblem stuff. Also, nobody was able to guess at Byleth getting in anyhow.

Since we've only ever gotten one song with the two "Deluxe" costumes we've gotten, I find it very unlikely they'd do something like that for any Mii Costume, Geno or not. I mean if that were the case, you'd think they would've been able to have gotten more than one song out of Toby "Playing Smash with it's creator and whoopin' his ass" Fox. You think that guy's stingy? Dude literally walked up to Masahiro Smash Bros. and asked for his skeleton son and meme song in Smash.

Fair enough, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that: SquareEnix is the company who legally owns all of the original characters from SMRPG. While there hasn't been anything definitive about who owns the music, when the composer for SMRPG, Yoko Shimomura, made a Best Of album of her work, she included music from SMRPG. On this album, Nintendo isn't mentioned anywhere in the copyright, but SquareEnix is. What this seems to suggest is that SquareEnix, or even solely Shimomura herself, owns copyright of these music tracks and not Nintendo. Ergo, Nintendo copyright striking those two music tracks rather than SquareEnix seems suspect, especially considering they've done this with Undertale and Banjo-Kazooie music tracks that they don't own.

There's also the convenient detail that only two tracks taken down, and so far every SquareEnix owned character has come with two tracks each, with each Dragon Quest protagonist that makes up Hero counting as a separate character.

Since you no doubt bring this up several times for each of his points, and because I don't wish to repeat myself too much, I'll only say this once here: Yes, we're all well aware of the possibility that this could all mean nothing. All potential evidence used in the context of something like this can end up either being real or fake. Hindsight is 20-20 and we won't know if this is real or fake until the time comes, so unless you (or anyone else for that matter) have something more concrete that can more solidly disprove something, trying to argue it's legitimacy by going "Well it could be fake, though!" is entirely fruitless, especially considering it can be easily countered by stating the opposite, yet equally fruitless sentiment.

While I can't speak for Tony here, I usually chalk it up to the relatively minor severity of the post. I think we can both agree that there's a world of difference between a screenshot and two ~7 second videos of minor cosmetics and, oh I dunno... some random **** streaming Pokemon Sword around two weeks prior to it's official release. One can easily be ignored and dismissed as a mod (which people have been able to imperfectly recreate), whereas one is so obviously real that nobody but the most gunshot-in-head-having cadavres would consider it japes.

Furthermore, could you imagine what would happen if this were real and Nintendo struck it down? That would basically be confirming to the entire fanbase that it's real. Streisand Effect, my guy.

We've also yet to see one that isn't an indie character, by the way.

It really doesn't, since almost every other third party company aside from SquareEnix (and SNK, though they're new alongside) have been shown to be fine with having their costumes shown alongside other things:
  • SEGA have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Akira & Jacky with Terry)
  • Capcom have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: All the Capcom costumes for Ultimate thus far)
  • Konami have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Goemon alongside Banjo & Kazooie)
  • Bandai-Namco have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Their contributions for Smash 4)
  • Ubisoft have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Rabbids and Altair (from the Altair series) with Banjo & Kazooie)
  • Microsoft have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Cuphead with Byleth)
  • SNK have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: All of their costumes alongside the SEGA costumes)
So far, for both Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, no SquareEnix costumes have come alongside other companies' costumes. Hell, save for Smash Ultimate's base game, none of their content has been released (and sometimes revealed) alongside other companies:
  • Cloud was revealed for Smash 4 at the end of a Nintendo Direct, and was the only Smash news in that Direct.
  • Smash 4's Wave 5, the wave of costumes that contained both the Chocobo Hat and the Geno Costume, was not only the wave with the fewest costumes at 2, it was the only wave to have costumes entirely from one single company.
  • Similarly to the above, Hero's Mii Costume wave not only currently has the fewest costumes of all the waves at 4, but is also the only one with costumes entirely from one single franchise.
Of course, while this doesn't mean SquareEnix costumes can't come alongside other companies' costumes, I can't help but find it a bit suspect that, in all instances, SquareEnix seems to consistently be the only third party company to ever be given it's own isolated stage when it comes to reveals.

I'd even go further with this: Peach, Bowser, Ganondorf and Mewtwo used to be very highly requested by fans before they made it into Melee. Same with Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede and Sonic for Brawl, same with Mega Man, Palutena and Pac-Man for Smash 4. We've had almost all of these characters in Smash for so long that people have forgotten just how much we wanted them back in the day. We're so spoiled by their collective presence that only the likes of Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo are considered fan requests due to how long it took to get them.

Again, can't speak for Blue Incineroar, but I think the main reason everyone thinks we're possibly getting a multiple-characters-in-one deal with the ARMS Fighter is simply because, for the first time in the series' 20+ year history, they've revealed only the franchise from which this new fighter comes from rather than who the fighter was. I don't think I can really express to you just how unprecedented this is for Smash. We've never had a character's series get revealed first in place of the fighter, it's almost always been that they reveal [X Character] who hails from [Y Franchise]. They've either revealed the character outright or, if the character isn't ready yet, they've said nothing.

Because they decided to do something like this, people have begun considering that there must be something more to this. If the character was only Spring Man or Ribbon Girl or Min-Min or Twintelle, then you'd think they would've just told us who it was as opposed to playing this whole guessing game with us, right? I think it'd be pretty disappointing if they teased who it could be out of the entire roster for ARMS, all for it to only end up being plain old Spring Man on his own.

As you described, I don't think it would work. I feel it would be incredibly inaccurate to the characters themselves. Ryu, Ken and Dan don't do Akura's Raging Demon in the games, unless I'm missing something and something like Evil Ryu does that. Speaking of, Akuma's Raging Demon is easily one of his most iconic moves, so not allowing him to use it in Smash would be like not having Mario shoot fireballs or Link use his bow. Having Dan's special moves be exactly the same as Ryu, Ken and Akuma would completely ruin the point of that character. So yeah, I agree that it wouldn't fit any of the characters to have them rolled into one.

That being said, the scenario you provided with the Shotos (Not gonna mention Rock and Terry since I'm not much of an SNK guy) and the scenario people have suggested with the ARMS fighters is not comparable whatsoever. Ribbon Girl's extra jumps and fast fall being on someone like Spring Man is not comparable to Dan being able to use Akuma's Raging Demon, or Akuma not being able to use Raging Demon. Min-Min's mid-air kicks being done by someone like Ninjara is not comparable to Akuma doing Dan's Roll Taunt. The fact that people unironically argue that they're in any way similar is crazy to me.

No, Hero works because, as you explain below, all four Heroes have access to the same base moves of the Frizz line, the Zap line, the Woosh line, Gigaslash, and can utilize Command Selection which contains moves that either they or their allies can use in their games. They also all use a sword and shield to fight, and all games contain Slimes which appear in one of their taunts. Functionally, they have enough overlap between the four of them that they wouldn't look out of place sharing a moveset. Akuma not being able to use his signature special move, the one move that is intrinsically tied to the character, would be incredibly conspicuous in it's absense.

Nothing to add here except that Erdrick does actually use magic in DQIII.
"The Hero (Erdrick) is capable of learning a balanced mix of magic from both the Priest and Mage's pools, as well as some that are unique to them, such as Kaclang and Zap."

Compared to eachother sure, they're all unique, but bring them to Smash and suddenly a lot of those differences seem incredibly trivial. Ribbon Girl's gimmicks of being able to jump multiple times in the air and fast fall are all unique attributed within the vaccum of ARMS, but not so much in Smash, where every character can jump at least once in mid-air at base and fast falling is universal. Min-Min's mid-air kicks are potentially game-changing in ARMS, but is considerably less special in Smash when every character ever can attack, kicks included, in the air. Ninjara's spoke puff dodges are an irreplicable tool with reagrds to ARMS, but is significantly less scarce in a game where direction air dodges are plentiful, with some like Mewtwo capable of replicating that very feat effortlessly.

When it comes to Smash, their gimmicks in ARMS are relatively small time compared to someone who is two characters in one, or someone who fires lazers and lights themselves on fire, or someone whose central gimmick is copying the special moves of others. All they have left at that point to make them stand out in a cast like that is their core gameplay, their ability to stretch their arms out very far and punch at a distance. That's not to say that those smaller gimmicks aren't worth including, far from it actually. I think it would be a great idea to merge all or most of these abilities into a single moveset. But to act like they're anywhere near as major as something like, and this is the last time I'll bring this up I swear, Dan using Akuma's Raging Demon, is insane.

Since you seem to be so fond of asking questions, allow me to ask one of you: Do you honestly believe that, when people suggest merging Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min-Min into one unified ARMS fighter, they're suggesting it because they don't care about the characters or don't see value in their gimmicks? Do you think I made this moveset for the ARMS Fighter because I don't value these characters, their series, and their unique attributes? And if you don't think that about me and my moveset concept, why would you assume that of everyone else?

I honestly can't help but feel a bit insulted when people use "If they're merged into one fighter, they'll lose their character!" to attempt to refute the idea that this kind of merger couldn't work. As if we're so bereft of originality or care that our ideas on how they'd play would be hackneyed and soulless.

Sure, but I still think it's rather noteworthy that Geno's name was even on there at all. Like, his name is good enough for SquareEnix to use him as leakbait. (HOO-HAH-HAH!)

I disagree. A big brain troll wouldn't make a decently convincing-looking fake leak, post it to 4chan with a clear image and two iffy, but still legible videos, and have it get largely ignored and dismissed by most people, all to troll about <25% of people who wanted a single character. Big brain trolls would aim a hell of a lot higher and try a hell of a lot harder than that, I think.

https://smashboards.com/threads/new...smash-discussion.446429/page-75#post-23929581

Oh boy, I can't wait for Splatoon: Minimum Wage Warriors to hit the Switch this December! Working behind a cash register in order to pay off my student loans is going to bE SO MUCH FUN!!

Payback for when the US used to be a european colony. Tax our tea? Well we won't host a Smash tournament in your continent in about a hundred years! Take that, you limeys aristocrats! :ultpacman:

I would've been fine with Bomberman, but he was never a big want for me.

Not bad. Don't really get the whole deal behind Sol Badguy, but I'm overall fine with him. Rayman would also be pretty cool.

Guess I should also post my revised predictions list. (In no particular order.)
View attachment 272344
  1. ARMS Fighter - I really think it's gonna be a 4-in-1 deal, maybe only a 2-in-1 deal with just Spring Man and Ribbon Girl at least.
  2. Geno - :ultpacman:
  3. Heihachi - I still believe that his costume not returning when it logically could've (Terry) may be indicative of his being upgraded.
  4. If Spirits don't disconfirm characters (and most everything says no) then I really think these guys are in a great position.
  5. Crsh Bandicoot - Cresh in Smesh would be fresh.
  6. The Wildcard - No idea who this would be, but any of these three would be great.

He should get his flat ass back in the goddamn kitchen and make me some ****in' lasagna.
I see you have Rex's Hot Three-Way™ in your FP#2. A worthy inclusion.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hi Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ! How the bonus character would work for you bro? I mean, if each challenger pack have numbers like :

Challenger Pack 6 will be fighter 76
Challenger Pack 7 will be fighter 77
Challenger Pack 8 will be fighter 78
Challenger Pack 9 will be fighter 79
Challenger Pack 10 will be fighter 80
Challenger Pack 11 will be fighter 81

That’s a fact. But for example if they put a bonus character in between the Fighter Pass 2; how does would work for you? I mean, CP6 will still be the Arms rep (76); but if they put Geno as a Bonus Character in between, it will affect the order?

In that case:

-CP6: fighter 76: Arms
-Bonus Character (for example): Geno: 77
-And then continúes the CP7 being “78”?

The most logic thing for me to not affect the number sequences would be this:

Base Game: from 1 to 69
Plant: 70
FP1: 70 to 75
FP2: 76 to 81
-and here the potential bonuses: starting in 82

Sorry if my English doesn’t let you get my point. Best wishes from Chile and hope that Geno falls down into Smash like a Shooting Star! 100% believing!
Not sure, honestly. I guess Geno doesn't HAVE to be 77 in the grand scheme of things but he'd still likely be CP7 so it still works out in the end.

Also, while we're on the topic of cheeky bull****, apparently Jeff Grubb has been retweeting random SMRPG quotes as of late for some reason. Like with Jon, it's a stretch but we are less than a month from "E3" now so people dropping hints will probably be common pretty soon anyways.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
You know, it would be funny if Geno ends up being the next character revealed in the same trailer as the Arms rep, since he has literal ARMS that can detract and return.
View attachment 272346
And maybe in the same trailer, Mario, Peach, Bowser and Mallow could appear in the crowd to cheer on Geno.
if that’s the case, I sentence my death from a heart attack on that reveal day *.*

Only Mega Man (my most wanted ever before) and Banjo (a beloved memory from childhood) made that impact on me, touching my inner child. Imagine what Geno could do to a 30 years old guy who still remember playing as Geno with 6-7 years old :’)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Not sure, honestly. I guess Geno doesn't HAVE to be 77 in the grand scheme of things but he'd still likely be CP7 so it still works out in the end.

Also, while we're on the topic of cheeky bull****, apparently Jeff Grubb has been retweeting random SMRPG quotes as of late for some reason. Like with Jon, it's a stretch but we are less than a month from "E3" now so people dropping hints will probably be common pretty soon anyways.
I suppose the warning shot will be if insiders begin to fire off Star Road, Pinocchio, or any other SMRPG puns at the start of June; kinda like when insiders were holding it in to shout "BANJO & KAZOOIE ARE IN" last year.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Anyone think the ARMS or Geno will have a curve ball of some kind? I've noticed that the first trailers of "seasons" and E3 trailers often try to do this.

-Brawl's trailer started with the Melee models and ended with Snake.

-Smash 4's first trailer pretended to be Animal Crossing and ended with Megaman.

-Wii Fit was posed as a new Wii Fit game.

-Mii Fighters revealed the three types and Amiibo.

-Pac-Man was shadowdropped in an after hours presentation.

-Mewtwo and Smash 4 DLC was just flat out announced without warning.

-Ultimate pretended to be a Splatoon trailer.

-Ultimate's E3 trailer started with Smash 4 models.

-Plant was... Plant.

-Joker posed itself as a Persona 5 trailer.

-Hero came with the four ALTs.

-Banjo started the same way as K. Rool's trailer.

I feel like they're going to pull some sort of cheeky bull**** with ARMS more so than Geno because Nintendo spoiled the franchise 2 1/2 months out and the fanfare was mixed at best.

-My prediction is that if we're getting a bonus character in the first half of Season 2, they'll incorporate it into the ARMS trailer. They've already spoiled the franchise so I feel like they're going to subvert expectations in a major way somehow.

-Despite several dozen coincidences that we've documented the last couple of years, I feel like Geno would be enough of a shock to most people to where if Geno came with a "surprise" it would be much smaller in scale. My guess is that they'll either show off the SMRPG costumes or they'll reveal Mallow is somehow incorporated into Geno's moveset.
ARMS:

It's a continuation of the Ken/Incineroar trailer, picking up where it left off as he kicks Villager, Rool, and Bowser Jr. out of the arena. The ARMS Rep jumps into the ring to challenge him and then reveal the alts

Geno:

I've had multiple ideas for him:

1. They frame all of the big requests (Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, Dark Samus, Chrom) as wishes being granted on Star Road. But the biggest wish of all still needs to be granted "I wish Geno were here!"

2. A recreation of the intro to Smash Bros 64, where Master Hand floats into the toy chest and pulls out the dolls to fight on the desk. Making you think it's an HD remake of Smash 64 until it suddenly pans to the window and a star flies in and dives into the toy chest and Geno bursts out

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Fair enough, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that: SquareEnix is the company who legally owns all of the original characters from SMRPG. While there hasn't been anything definitive about who owns the music, when the composer for SMRPG, Yoko Shimomura, made a Best Of album of her work, she included music from SMRPG. On this album, Nintendo isn't mentioned anywhere in the copyright, but SquareEnix is. What this seems to suggest is that SquareEnix, or even solely Shimomura herself, owns copyright of these music tracks and not Nintendo. Ergo, Nintendo copyright striking those two music tracks rather than SquareEnix seems suspect, especially considering they've done this with Undertale and Banjo-Kazooie music tracks that they don't own.

There's also the convenient detail that only two tracks taken down, and so far every SquareEnix owned character has come with two tracks each, with each Dragon Quest protagonist that makes up Hero counting as a separate character.
I will admit that the circumstances are very strange, and I really don't have a way to say what's going on with those songs. Could really mean anything.

If it means Geno in Smash, honestly that's fine by me. I'm not really supporting him, but Legacy showed he had cool potential, so I'd be cool with him there.

If it means something else, it means something else. What could it be? I don't know. And no one really knows what it's fore until we finally get the reveal that it's either some kind of SMRPG rerelease/remake, Geno in Smash or whatever else it could be.

While I can't speak for Tony here, I usually chalk it up to the relatively minor severity of the post. I think we can both agree that there's a world of difference between a screenshot and two ~7 second videos of minor cosmetics and, oh I dunno... some random **** streaming Pokemon Sword around two weeks prior to it's official release. One can easily be ignored and dismissed as a mod (which people have been able to imperfectly recreate), whereas one is so obviously real that nobody but the most gunshot-in-head-having cadavres would consider it japes.

Furthermore, could you imagine what would happen if this were real and Nintendo struck it down? That would basically be confirming to the entire fanbase that it's real. Streisand Effect, my guy.
It's still a breach of contract, it's still breaking a NDA.

And again, it's not just a matter of Nintendo striking it down. If they don't strike it down, Id Software/Bethesda or, most importantly, Stingy Enix would.

Breaking a NDA, which forces everyone involved to not publically show information until a specific date, is a very serious offense that should always be dealt with as quickly as possible.

Stuff like the Ken leak, which are on anonymous sites that have their posts deleted over time, can't be dealt with in any capacity without outright suing the entire website, and doing so for just a tiny picture of Ken doing a thumbs up, without being able to find out who shared it in the first place, would be completely pointless at trying to deal with whoever leaked the pic in the first place.

But a YouTube video... that's a very different story. Whoever uploads can be tracked, whatever they upload can be shut down, so the fact that it's been standing still for 6 months without being taken down leads to only two scenarios;
  1. It's a really damn good fake.
  2. Those Mii Costumes are real and, beyond all possible logic in the world, not under a NDA, which is insane because Nintendo always does NDAs.

It really doesn't, since almost every other third party company aside from SquareEnix (and SNK, though they're new alongside) have been shown to be fine with having their costumes shown alongside other things:
  • SEGA have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Akira & Jacky with Terry)
  • Capcom have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: All the Capcom costumes for Ultimate thus far)
  • Konami have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Goemon alongside Banjo & Kazooie)
  • Bandai-Namco have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Their contributions for Smash 4)
  • Ubisoft have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Rabbids and Altair (from the Altair series) with Banjo & Kazooie)
  • Microsoft have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: Cuphead with Byleth)
  • SNK have had their costumes debuted alongside other companies. (Example: All of their costumes alongside the SEGA costumes)
So far, for both Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, no SquareEnix costumes have come alongside other companies' costumes. Hell, save for Smash Ultimate's base game, none of their content has been released (and sometimes revealed) alongside other companies:
  • Cloud was revealed for Smash 4 at the end of a Nintendo Direct, and was the only Smash news in that Direct.
  • Smash 4's Wave 5, the wave of costumes that contained both the Chocobo Hat and the Geno Costume, was not only the wave with the fewest costumes at 2, it was the only wave to have costumes entirely from one single company.
  • Similarly to the above, Hero's Mii Costume wave not only currently has the fewest costumes of all the waves at 4, but is also the only one with costumes entirely from one single franchise.
Of course, while this doesn't mean SquareEnix costumes can't come alongside other companies' costumes, I can't help but find it a bit suspect that, in all instances, SquareEnix seems to consistently be the only third party company to ever be given it's own isolated stage when it comes to reveals.
It shows that Square is very protective of their IPs and might outright refuse to have any other company get any spotlight alongside them.

If they're that defensive on their IPs, wouldn't it be weird for them to not do anything about a Mallow hat video for 6 months? Wouldn't that be the opposite of being very protective?

Again, can't speak for Blue Incineroar, but I think the main reason everyone thinks we're possibly getting a multiple-characters-in-one deal with the ARMS Fighter is simply because, for the first time in the series' 20+ year history, they've revealed only the franchise from which this new fighter comes from rather than who the fighter was. I don't think I can really express to you just how unprecedented this is for Smash. We've never had a character's series get revealed first in place of the fighter, it's almost always been that they reveal [X Character] who hails from [Y Franchise]. They've either revealed the character outright or, if the character isn't ready yet, they've said nothing.

Because they decided to do something like this, people have begun considering that there must be something more to this. If the character was only Spring Man or Ribbon Girl or Min-Min or Twintelle, then you'd think they would've just told us who it was as opposed to playing this whole guessing game with us, right? I think it'd be pretty disappointing if they teased who it could be out of the entire roster for ARMS, all for it to only end up being plain old Spring Man on his own.
I will admit that getting just Spring Man would be dissapointing. All this time just for boxart dude would be a slap in the face.

But I still feel like we're likely get only one character because whatever small gimmicks the characters define them and are the reason why, despite having the same moves, each one feels unique and distinct, to the point where blending some of them together would feel like a mess.

Those are just us having different opinions though, especially since you did prove that you know your ARMS stuff with that moveset (good one, btw), so I think we can just nicely and politely agree to disagree and see who's right in the end.

Whatever we get in the end though, I'm just glad ARMS gets anything for Ultimate, so nothing will make me mad lol

As you described, I don't think it would work. I feel it would be incredibly inaccurate to the characters themselves. Ryu, Ken and Dan don't do Akura's Raging Demon in the games, unless I'm missing something and something like Evil Ryu does that. Speaking of, Akuma's Raging Demon is easily one of his most iconic moves, so not allowing him to use it in Smash would be like not having Mario shoot fireballs or Link use his bow. Having Dan's special moves be exactly the same as Ryu, Ken and Akuma would completely ruin the point of that character. So yeah, I agree that it wouldn't fit any of the characters to have them rolled into one.

That being said, the scenario you provided with the Shotos (Not gonna mention Rock and Terry since I'm not much of an SNK guy) and the scenario people have suggested with the ARMS fighters is not comparable whatsoever. Ribbon Girl's extra jumps and fast fall being on someone like Spring Man is not comparable to Dan being able to use Akuma's Raging Demon, or Akuma not being able to use Raging Demon. Min-Min's mid-air kicks being done by someone like Ninjara is not comparable to Akuma doing Dan's Roll Taunt. The fact that people unironically argue that they're in any way similar is crazy to me.
I mentionned Rock because he happens to be trained by Terry, so the majority of his moves are similar in what they do, though with some differences, like Crack Shoot being a counter or using Geese's projectile instead of Terry's (which still travels on the floor like Power Wave does).

But it's a very similar principle as the Shotos; characters with very similar movesets but differing traits and abilities that make them stand out as their own characters. It's just not as apparent for ARMS because the only movesets are punch and punch rather than having something more traditional like Street Fighter.

Oh, and Evil Ryu can do the Raging Demon, btw. Figured I'd say it since you brought him up. :p

No, Hero works because, as you explain below, all four Heroes have access to the same base moves of the Frizz line, the Zap line, the Woosh line, Gigaslash, and can utilize Command Selection which contains moves that either they or their allies can use in their games. They also all use a sword and shield to fight, and all games contain Slimes which appear in one of their taunts. Functionally, they have enough overlap between the four of them that they wouldn't look out of place sharing a moveset. Akuma not being able to use his signature special move, the one move that is intrinsically tied to the character, would be incredibly conspicuous in it's absense.
Like how Min Min not having the permacharged dragon arm would feel incredibly off?

Nothing to add here except that Erdrick does actually use magic in DQIII.
"The Hero (Erdrick) is capable of learning a balanced mix of magic from both the Priest and Mage's pools, as well as some that are unique to them, such as Kaclang and Zap."
Oh, my bad. Thanks for the info.

Compared to eachother sure, they're all unique, but bring them to Smash and suddenly a lot of those differences seem incredibly trivial. Ribbon Girl's gimmicks of being able to jump multiple times in the air and fast fall are all unique attributed within the vaccum of ARMS, but not so much in Smash, where every character can jump at least once in mid-air at base and fast falling is universal. Min-Min's mid-air kicks are potentially game-changing in ARMS, but is considerably less special in Smash when every character ever can attack, kicks included, in the air. Ninjara's spoke puff dodges are an irreplicable tool with reagrds to ARMS, but is significantly less scarce in a game where direction air dodges are plentiful, with some like Mewtwo capable of replicating that very feat effortlessly.

When it comes to Smash, their gimmicks in ARMS are relatively small time compared to someone who is two characters in one, or someone who fires lazers and lights themselves on fire, or someone whose central gimmick is copying the special moves of others. All they have left at that point to make them stand out in a cast like that is their core gameplay, their ability to stretch their arms out very far and punch at a distance. That's not to say that those smaller gimmicks aren't worth including, far from it actually. I think it would be a great idea to merge all or most of these abilities into a single moveset. But to act like they're anywhere near as major as something like, and this is the last time I'll bring this up I swear, Dan using Akuma's Raging Demon, is insane.
I'll just tackle on each example one by one.

- Yes, double jumps and fast falls are universal to Smash, that's true. But Ribbon Girl gets 4 jumps, so she's more like the Pits and Ridley.
- Saying Min Min's kicks aren't special dismisses the point of how these kicks are used in ARMS. They aren't an offensive attacking tool, and yes, I agree some people like Ninjara and Ribbon Girl could have kicks in their movesets. But what makes Min Min's kicks stand out is that they are used to shut down incoming attacks. That's more than just a simple kick in function. They're practically a parry in the way they're used. That's not something other ARMS character can do.
- Agreed on Ninjara.

Since you seem to be so fond of asking questions, allow me to ask one of you: Do you honestly believe that, when people suggest merging Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min-Min into one unified ARMS fighter, they're suggesting it because they don't care about the characters or don't see value in their gimmicks? Do you think I made this moveset for the ARMS Fighter because I don't value these characters, their series, and their unique attributes? And if you don't think that about me and my moveset concept, why would you assume that of everyone else?

I honestly can't help but feel a bit insulted when people use "If they're merged into one fighter, they'll lose their character!" to attempt to refute the idea that this kind of merger couldn't work. As if we're so bereft of originality or care that our ideas on how they'd play would be hackneyed and soulless.
Would that merger work? Probably. I'll admit, it probably will.

Would it be the best way to represent each individual character? It probably won't.

But again, let's just agree to disagree. At least, you're someone who's actively played and enjoyed the game, so if you think the Hero situation can work, I can respect it. It's people who don't play and/or dislike the game and suggest this very idea that bother me because they didn't even try and yet claim they know better than people who play the game, but that's just me.

Sure, but I still think it's rather noteworthy that Geno's name was even on there at all. Like, his name is good enough for SquareEnix to use him as leakbait. (HOO-HAH-HAH!)
I will admit that it's pretty funny.

I disagree. A big brain troll wouldn't make a decently convincing-looking fake leak, post it to 4chan with a clear image and two iffy, but still legible videos, and have it get largely ignored and dismissed by most people, all to troll about <25% of people who wanted a single character. Big brain trolls would aim a hell of a lot higher and try a hell of a lot harder than that, I think.
You underestimate the pettiness of humanity.

There's actually been a security guard who was ran over by a customer with a car because they couldn't get inside a supermarket to buy some TP not too far from where I live back in April.

Humans are very much capable of doing spiteful things for little to no reason, and my own pessimism makes me unable to dismiss the idea that CacoMallow could be a troll. But again, that's just me.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Wasn't this after the SNK leak on Nintendo's website though?
Oh yeah, that’s true. Though it was just SNK right? Did it specify what series? I don’t recall that. So it made people assume it was Terry, but no official confirmation ... so it’s kinda cheeky then?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oh yeah, that’s true. Though it was just SNK right? Did it specify what series? I don’t recall that. So it made people assume it was Terry, but no official confirmation ... so it’s kinda cheeky then?
It was just SNK. But Terry is pretty much the mascot of SNK, so it was natural people would gravitate towards him.

D

Deleted member

Jon’s tweet was probably more a joke then anything don’t think it meant anything. Honestly would be cool if it did but I doubt it.

Still Geno’s chances are very good. So let’s have some faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I see you have Rex's Hot Three-Way™ in your FP#2. A worthy inclusion.
Well technically it's a 2.5-Way. :ultpacman:

Huh. Any good quotes?

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
I think the john is something worth keeping a note of, but we shouldn't rely on it much. Though even without it geno still has a very good chance of getting in

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
-My prediction is that if we're getting a bonus character
So you're thinking Sakurai intentionally lied in the Famitsu column regarding "no more characters besides these 6" then? I'd really like to believe that but man I just don't see it happening after the man said no. He could have just not said anyting regarding how many characters were being worked on.

Idk if it's just my personal situation getting to me, or maybe the discussions I've been having on here as of late, but I just feel like this, along with Jon from GX is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, I still think Geno is #7, and I'm the king of believing coincidences on coincidences, but this is "Waluigi confirmed by chair colors" level. The cursor being on a star card I might buy more if you had Bowser, Peach, Mario, and a Club (Mallow) card nearby it. Otherwise, I really do think that's just a coincidences. The quotes, eh, maybe, but I still think it might be a coincidence.

Just to double-check though, could you post some of those tweets? (I would, but lazy and I'm just taking a break to catch up with the last THREE PAGES I've missed due to messed up sleep and being busy >_>)

Jon made a tweet hinting Terry Bogard 3 days before his reveal.

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1168330996481085440
So yes, he can be cheeky dropping hints occasionally.
That's cheeky? That's like claiming that using a sledgehammer or a chainsaw counts as "stealthy". I don't think a cursor on a star card is anywhere close to using the word "smash" and a Fatal Fury hat.

D

Deleted member

So you're thinking Sakurai intentionally lied in the Famitsu column regarding "no more characters besides these 6" then? I'd really like to believe that but man I just don't see it happening after the man said no. He could have just not said anyting regarding how many characters were being worked on.

Idk if it's just my personal situation getting to me, or maybe the discussions I've been having on here as of late, but I just feel like this, along with Jon from GX is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, I still think Geno is #7, and I'm the king of believing coincidences on coincidences, but this is "Waluigi confirmed by chair colors" level. The cursor being on a star card I might buy more if you had Bowser, Peach, Mario, and a Club (Mallow) card nearby it. Otherwise, I really do think that's just a coincidences. The quotes, eh, maybe, but I still think it might be a coincidence.

Just to double-check though, could you post some of those tweets? (I would, but lazy and I'm just taking a break to catch up with the last THREE PAGES I've missed due to messed up sleep and being busy >_>)

That's cheeky? That's like claiming that using a sledgehammer or a chainsaw counts as "stealthy". I don't think a cursor on a star card is anywhere close to using the word "smash" and a Fatal Fury hat.
Shrug

D

Deleted member

Terry wasn’t the only “obvious choice” though it could of easily been someone else Lori and Kyo since these are very popular SNK characters and there were even speculation for Nakouru but eh whatever

DIY

Smash Apprentice

Do you have any links for some of those quotes? I'd love to read them!

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, what do you think the wave of Mii Fighter costumes will be that comes with Geno, primarily Square IPs or a grabbag?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Terry wasn’t the only “obvious choice” though it could of easily been someone else Lori and Kyo since these are very popular SNK characters and there were even speculation for Nakouru but eh whatever
He was still one of the most obvious picks, to the point where it feels realistic that Jon would just assume it's Terry.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
If they went for two, wholly Nintendo owned first party characters as the openers for the second Fighters Pass, I think consumer confidence would be low in the remainder of the pass. Not saying it's not a possibility, but we're getting pretty steep vibes that fighter 7 at the bare minimum was planned to be shown at E3. Not some random Nintendo direct, Electronics Entertainment Expo. I think people like to look to Octoling as some kind of potential second Splatoon rep, but aside from using different weapons and ending up like an Isabelle, I don't see it happening, especially not as paid DLC.

Like I said earlier, Splatoon 2 is, for better or for worse, one of the games Nintendo considers to be its flagship in the field of esports. If you don't remember, one of the first trailers/advertisements for the Switch was Splatoon being played in a ****ing MOBA style esports stadium, one of the most laughably bold statements I've ever seen. It appeared 3 years in a row as a competitive headliner for Nintendo at E3 in 2017, again alongside Ultimate's demo in 2018 and alongside the real Ultimate in 2019. And just for the record, they said they were done with major content updates for Splatoon 2, but they didn't claim they were going to stop supporting it. They really want to develop a competitive scene for Splatoon 2 as the "draw" for the game, like you can pick it up and go pro at any time and end up on the big stage at E3, it's honestly a lot of kids' dream, and it's the kind of appeal that can make a game last for a decade, I mean, look at Counter Strike or Melee. Adoption on Splatoon 2 is approximately 18% of Switch owners, and while that's significantly better than ARMS' 3%, it doesn't stack up to Ultimate's nearly 34% adoption. It's not the kind of failure that needs a Smash character to maybe revive some interest, but it's the kind of sub-optimal performance that could use a few publicity stunts.

And if you want to talk about Jon Gamexplain, this came up over in the Star Road discord today:

And all I have to say is that each party member in Mario RPG has a suit of cards associated with them (Spades/Mario, Clubs/Mallow, Hearts/Peach, Diamonds/Bowser). Maybe it means nothing, but there's an outlier in the joke here, a certain character who uses a symbol that doesn't show up in an average deck of cards.
Hmmm I didn't think about it like that but i'm still gonna hold onto it just to be safe

Also regarding that tweet that jon posted it could be a coincidence and club house games was like "Let's just make a Mario theme deck" But since i'm still thinking that Jon knows about who is in the 2nd fighter's pass. That tweet could have basically be saying that Geno is coming. it just so happens that 2 days after THAT tweet we get the open tournament announcement.... Jon you clever guy

Powerman293

Smash Ace
So, what do you think the wave of Mii Fighter costumes will be that comes with Geno, primarily Square IPs or a grabbag?
Grab bag. Any kind of patterns about companies having costumes left corresponding to characters is gonna be thrown out the window.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you have any links for some of those quotes? I'd love to read them!
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffGrubb

He retweeted one today and on the 15th. A friend shared this with me earlier. Honestly, no matter how much of a stretch things are, I appreciate it when people DM me these kinds of things because they want my opinion on it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffGrubb

He retweeted one today and on the 15th. A friend shared this with me earlier. Honestly, no matter how much of a stretch things are, I appreciate it when people DM me these kinds of things because they want my opinion on it.
The one today:

The one on the 15th:

These just feel too generic that they could mean anything TBH.

Edit: This one from the 14th is the most interesting, actually:

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's still a breach of contract, it's still breaking a NDA.

And again, it's not just a matter of Nintendo striking it down. If they don't strike it down, Id Software/Bethesda or, most importantly, Stingy Enix would.

Breaking a NDA, which forces everyone involved to not publically show information until a specific date, is a very serious offense that should always be dealt with as quickly as possible.

Stuff like the Ken leak, which are on anonymous sites that have their posts deleted over time, can't be dealt with in any capacity without outright suing the entire website, and doing so for just a tiny picture of Ken doing a thumbs up, without being able to find out who shared it in the first place, would be completely pointless at trying to deal with whoever leaked the pic in the first place.

But a YouTube video... that's a very different story. Whoever uploads can be tracked, whatever they upload can be shut down, so the fact that it's been standing still for 6 months without being taken down leads to only two scenarios;
  1. It's a really damn good fake.
  2. Those Mii Costumes are real and, beyond all possible logic in the world, not under a NDA, which is insane because Nintendo always does NDAs.
Firstly, CacoMallow was first posted to 4chan, not YouTube. (Thanks Nicnac Nicnac for the link.) Second, again, any public action on their part, such as taking video uploads down, would draw unnecessary attention to it that they'd much rather avoid.

It shows that Square is very protective of their IPs and might outright refuse to have any other company get any spotlight alongside them.

If they're that defensive on their IPs, wouldn't it be weird for them to not do anything about a Mallow hat video for 6 months? Wouldn't that be the opposite of being very protective?
Well it's not their game, though. If something Smash-related leaks, the buck stops with Nintendo and Nintendo alone. I don't think there's ever been an instance of something Smash-related leaking getting claimed by anyone other than Nintendo.

I will admit that getting just Spring Man would be dissapointing. All this time just for boxart dude would be a slap in the face.

But I still feel like we're likely get only one character because whatever small gimmicks the characters define them and are the reason why, despite having the same moves, each one feels unique and distinct, to the point where blending some of them together would feel like a mess.

Those are just us having different opinions though, especially since you did prove that you know your ARMS stuff with that moveset (good one, btw), so I think we can just nicely and politely agree to disagree and see who's right in the end.

Whatever we get in the end though, I'm just glad ARMS gets anything for Ultimate, so nothing will make me mad lol
Yeah, that's cool. I probably should've clarified this earlier, but I do think there's still a chance that we'll be getting only one character. Should that happen, I think it'll most likely be Min-Min due to her immense popularity, winning the last big ARMS tournament, and her being cute as ****. Also, thanks, I'm glad you like my moveset concept. I don't make many of those (You can probably guess who the other one was for), and admittedly I think it could've used a bit more fleshing out. I completely forgot to detail the character gimmicks that I would've incorporated into their moveset. Either way, I'm really glad you like it.

I mentionned Rock because he happens to be trained by Terry, so the majority of his moves are similar in what they do, though with some differences, like Crack Shoot being a counter or using Geese's projectile instead of Terry's (which still travels on the floor like Power Wave does).
Ah, okay. Yeah as I said, not much of an SNK guy.

But it's a very similar principle as the Shotos; characters with very similar movesets but differing traits and abilities that make them stand out as their own characters. It's just not as apparent for ARMS because the only movesets are punch and punch rather than having something more traditional like Street Fighter.
It's not really apparent in ARMS because a lot of these differences between characters are passive effects rather than active moveset differences. Spring Man's reflective wave, Ninjara's smoke dodge, Min-Min's Dragon Arm keeping charge, a lot of this has a big impact on how you fight, but they're not all too big and flashy.

Oh, and Evil Ryu can do the Raging Demon, btw. Figured I'd say it since you brought him up. :p
Yeah, figures. Really should've double-checked. :ultridley:

Like how Min Min not having the permacharged dragon arm would feel incredibly off?
Not really because, as I mentioned above, it's kind of a passive ability rather than an active attack. Every character can charge their ARMS up to do more damage and utilize different ARMS-specific effects. Only difference is that Min-Min's ****in' arm stays charged until she gets hit. That's be pretty difficult to accurately represent in Smash, but even if you did it wouldn't be all too useful in a game that plays on a 2D plane.

Oh, my bad. Thanks for the info.
No prob, Bob.

I'll just tackle on each example one by one.

- Yes, double jumps and fast falls are universal to Smash, that's true. But Ribbon Girl gets 4 jumps, so she's more like the Pits and Ridley.
Noted. If they were to go the 4-in-1 route, I'd give the resulting ARMS Fighter three jumps. Not only would this be a good compromise between Ribbon Girl and the other three fighters, it would go a long way to making them feel unique compared to the other, more aerial-impared boxer on the roster.

- Saying Min Min's kicks aren't special dismisses the point of how these kicks are used in ARMS. They aren't an offensive attacking tool, and yes, I agree some people like Ninjara and Ribbon Girl could have kicks in their movesets. But what makes Min Min's kicks stand out is that they are used to shut down incoming attacks. That's more than just a simple kick in function. They're practically a parry in the way they're used. That's not something other ARMS character can do.
Sure, but most attacks in Smash do that by default. When an attack hits another attack of similar strength or even a weak projectile, they can "clang" with and cancel eachother out. Again, unique in ARMS but unremarkable in Smash.

Would that merger work? Probably. I'll admit, it probably will.

Would it be the best way to represent each individual character? It probably won't.

But again, let's just agree to disagree.
Yeah, that's fine. Again, I wouldn't mind if they only have one fighter from ARMS, I just personally find this the more exciting option.

At least, you're someone who's actively played and enjoyed the game, so if you think the Hero situation can work, I can respect it. It's people who don't play and/or dislike the game and suggest this very idea that bother me because they didn't even try and yet claim they know better than people who play the game, but that's just me.
Actually, I've never played ARMS, I just know quite a bit about the game and love making in-depth movesets for characters. From what I've seen of it it really seems like the kind of game that's more fun to play than it is to watch someone else play.

You underestimate the pettiness of humanity.

There's actually been a security guard who was ran over by a customer with a car because they couldn't get inside a supermarket to buy some TP not too far from where I live back in April.

Humans are very much capable of doing spiteful things for little to no reason, and my own pessimism makes me unable to dismiss the idea that CacoMallow could be a troll. But again, that's just me.
It's not that I'm underestemating anyone's level of pettiness, rather I'm assessing the troll game here. If you're trying to troll people, ideally you'd want to hit a lot of people all at once, y'know, to really leave an impact, which should be relatively easy to do given how fat Smash fans tend to be. While I know people can be petty and vindictive, I just don't think you would play a game this long with such little payoff just to piss off a nebulous group of people you don't like. If I were that guy, I'd want to be more direct with my game and not leave it sit for too long. After all, you can't make people mad when they forget what they were supposed to be mad at to begin with.

If past precedent means anything, SquareEnix IPs only.
If Hero is any indication, I think it's safe to say he'll probably come with around 4-5 costumes. As to which ones they are specifically, I think the most likely ones are:
  • Geno (Gunner), if they decide to bring it back alongside him for whatever reason.
  • Mallow (Hat)
  • Smithy (Swordfighter)
  • Chocobo (Hat)
These ones would be pretty cool overall as well.
  • Crono (Swordfighter)
  • Robo (Brawler), as a Deluxe Costume that comes with his theme song.
  • Tifa (Brawler)
  • Barret (Gunner)
  • Sephiroth (SwordFighter), as a Deluxe Costume that comes with One Winged Angel.
And if God hates us for whatever reason:
  • 2B (Swordfighter), as a Deluxe Costume with a song from Neir Automata.
  • Sora (Swordfighter), as a Deluxe Costume with either the main Kingdom Hearts theme or Simple and Clean.

Who's Jeff Grubb?
JeffGrubb.png

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Firstly, CacoMallow was first posted to 4chan, not YouTube. (Thanks Nicnac Nicnac Nicnac Nicnac for the link.) Second, again, any public action on their part, such as taking video uploads down, would draw unnecessary attention to it that they'd much rather avoid.
It doesn't matter if it's unneccessary attention. If it's real and under NDA and they don't take it down, it's gonna give other companies the idea that Nintendo doesn't care about how well-kept development information is, which is pretty bad for business.

And Nintendo would likely favor the protection of their contracts and preventing them from being breached over what a bunch of people on the Internet would think of this because it's far more beneficial for business with other companies to show that they act quickly on NDA breaches.

As for the fact that it started on 4chan, that doesn't matter because it only protects what is on 4chan. And while this means they can't really track down the source from a YouTube video, CacoMallow being shared on Yowould still be a NDA breach if it's real, so they would naturally try to take it down because they are capable of doing so in order to protect their NDAs.

Well it's not their game, though. If something Smash-related leaks, the buck stops with Nintendo and Nintendo alone. I don't think there's ever been an instance of something Smash-related leaking getting claimed by anyone other than Nintendo.
Maybe it's because Nintendo always acted before the other companies could?

Doesn't have to mean it's because Nintendo is the only one allowed to take legal action.

(everything else looks weird because there's a quote inside a quote? was it unfinished without realizing or just nothing to say for the rest?)

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Reporter for Venture Beat. Most recent notable thing was knowing that the Spring Direct would be shadowdropped.
He was also the guy who explicitly said the direct wouldn't be a mini, right? Or was that someone else? Either way, take every insider's words with a grain of salt, even if they said "GENO FOR SURE YOU GUYS".

On that note, GENO FOR SURE YOU GUYS.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Who's Jeff Grubb?
He is the guy who knew about the dates of the Nindie showcase and the direct mini, he knew that nintendo will not do direct in June and he knew that they do not have any planned in months
I think we are getting 5: Mallow, Chocobo, Smithy, Crono and Sephiroth with One winged Angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom