• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
[X] Doubt

Remember that the last time we got Capcom costume rehashes were with Banjo and Byleth. There really isn't any precedent that the two Hunter armor costumes HAVE to come with a Capcom character.
The only other Mii Costume absence that's weird is Heihachi. Just like Geno, it would be the perfect chance for it to show up with Terry, but the only returning costumes were Akira and Jacky.
If anything, those few missing costumes aside from Geno and Chocobo would be better suited for someone like Nightmare because of the common theme of swords and primarily Bandai Namco.
There actually is precedent though: Tales and Knuckles came with Joker, all technically SEGA characters. When Jacky and Akira came, there had already been a "SEGA" pack and SEGA's not likely to get a second. We haven't gotten a Capcom pack yet. This is extended by the fact that Hero didn't come with Geno or Chocobo, they exclusively focused on the Enix side of Square Enix. Plus, the Smash 4 third party Mii costumes have always come in pairs so they likely would have been inserted somewhere if there were no future plans for Capcom content.

Something else to consider is the third party spirit events that have happened so far. These are the companies that have had specific spirit events with new spirits that focus on their properties:

-Capcom (Resident Evil)
-Studio MDHR (Cuphead)
-Arc Systems (River City)
-Square Enix (Trials of Mana)

As you can see, it's not a whole lot. It shows that Nintendo is being very selective with which companies get special spirit events. Truth be told, they likely plan these spirit events months in advance so it suggests a strong partnership for them to have a spirit event that specifically focuses on a non Nintendo IP. Why would Nintendo bother to do this unless they were decently involved in someway to released or upcoming DLC?

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
There actually is precedent though: Tales and Knuckles came with Joker, all technically SEGA characters. When Jacky and Akira came, there had already been a "SEGA" pack and SEGA's not likely to get a second. We haven't gotten a Capcom pack yet. This is extended by the fact that Hero didn't come with Geno or Chocobo, they exclusively focused on the Enix side of Square Enix. Plus, the Smash 4 third party Mii costumes have always come in pairs so they likely would have been inserted somewhere if there were no future plans for Capcom content.

Something else to consider is the third party spirit events that have happened so far. These are the companies that have had specific spirit events with new spirits that focus on their properties:

-Capcom (Resident Evil)
-Studio MDHR (Cuphead)
-Arc Systems (River City)
-Square Enix (Trials of Mana)

As you can see, it's not a whole lot. It shows that Nintendo is being very selective with which companies get special spirit events. Truth be told, they likely plan these spirit events months in advance so it suggests a strong partnership for them to have a spirit event that specifically focuses on a non Nintendo IP. Why would Nintendo bother to do this unless they were decently involved in someway to released or upcoming DLC?
Don't forget about Marvelous getting in with the Daemon X Machina spirit event. But then again, I don't blame you for forgetting about that game, because everyone else did too.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Don't forget about Marvelous getting in with the Daemon X Machina spirit event. But then again, I don't blame you for forgetting about that game, because everyone else did too.
Nintendo published it so, kind of like Fatal Frame for the Wii U, it technically counts as "Nintendo" despite being developed by a third party.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
This is extended by the fact that Hero didn't come with Geno or Chocobo, they exclusively focused on the Enix side of Square Enix.
I really think saying this kind of gives people the wrong idea.

It wasn't the Enix side of Square Enix, it was literally just Dragon Quest. Quintet games, Ogre Battle, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, and more would all be the Enix side and could have absolutely gotten costumes, but they didn't, and just saying "Enix side" downplays both that and the possibility of sole DQ representation meaning something.

I've already given my perspective on why I think the fact they focused on Dragon Quest and nothing else is relevant, so I won't go into that again. I just think it's something to keep in mind when talking about the Hero presentation because it's alone on that front with the IP purity, especially because it was a great chance for other Enix properties to be thrown in (some that would have gotten a more pronounced reaction than say Goemon).

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Nintendo published it so, kind of like Fatal Frame for the Wii U, it technically counts as "Nintendo" despite being developed by a third party.
Ehhhh, I don't think that really counts since Marvelous still published it in Japan, Nintendo only published it over seas, so it's still solely a Marvelous thing.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well, actually Nintendo co-owns the Fatal Frame IP now so it's not technically Nintendo the series is Nintendo from now on. In fact, the series producer even said he wants to make a new game but it's up to Nintendo if another game ever gets made. So yeah there's some fun trivia for the day.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
My dear friends, I have terrible news... We probably overthought something. A hot topic in this thread since January has been "where the hell are the Undertale and Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits" and I think the answer is much more simple than we realized. We've been tossing out a lot of theories but I think we've accidentally touched one and regularly run away from it... The reason we probably haven't seen these spirits yet is because of Mii costumes... It's pretty simple: Cuphead had insertions and we're still waiting on Sans. If it were just Sans, there would be no reason to hold it off. Simple conclusion: we're getting at least one more Undertale Mii costume. This is actually a pretty big deal because it can be extended into other trains of thought, including Geno.

This ties into a theory that we've had for a long time that certain Mii costumes are simply being held off until the right time. As a reminder, the Smash 4 Mii costumes that are still MIA are: Geno, Chocobo, Gil, Heihachi, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos. We've already used this to supplement the idea that there's another Square, Namco, and Capcom character coming later, especially in the light that Geno and Rathalos are already spirits and spirit battles in the base game. This said, this presents a very strong argument that their costumes weren't held off "just because", it's about timing.

One more foot note on this, this adds more points to the board for another Microsoft character as it currently stands. As pointed out many times before, Banjo didn't come with any Microsoft or RARE costume, in the same vein that Byleth didn't bring any Nintendo costumes. For Byleth, we had the hypothesis that Nintendo Mii costumes were being held off for a Nintendo character and this appears to be correct. Based on this whole conversation, there's a decent chance that the ARMS character will come with a Luigi's Mansion 3 Mii costume of some kind. In this light, it presents the argument that Microsoft/RARE costumes will probably come with another Microsoft character.
That would probably make more sense as an explanation for the missing LM3 spirits than playable King Boo. Still could happen, but I'd probably predict other characters instead with this in mind.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
Welp, no new spirits this time around.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
My dear friends, I have terrible news... We probably overthought something. A hot topic in this thread since January has been "where the hell are the Undertale and Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits" and I think the answer is much more simple than we realized. We've been tossing out a lot of theories but I think we've accidentally touched one and regularly run away from it... The reason we probably haven't seen these spirits yet is because of Mii costumes... It's pretty simple: Cuphead had insertions and we're still waiting on Sans. If it were just Sans, there would be no reason to hold it off. Simple conclusion: we're getting at least one more Undertale Mii costume. This is actually a pretty big deal because it can be extended into other trains of thought, including Geno.

This ties into a theory that we've had for a long time that certain Mii costumes are simply being held off until the right time. As a reminder, the Smash 4 Mii costumes that are still MIA are: Geno, Chocobo, Gil, Heihachi, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Rathalos. We've already used this to supplement the idea that there's another Square, Namco, and Capcom character coming later, especially in the light that Geno and Rathalos are already spirits and spirit battles in the base game. This said, this presents a very strong argument that their costumes weren't held off "just because", it's about timing.

One more foot note on this, this adds more points to the board for another Microsoft character as it currently stands. As pointed out many times before, Banjo didn't come with any Microsoft or RARE costume, in the same vein that Byleth didn't bring any Nintendo costumes. For Byleth, we had the hypothesis that Nintendo Mii costumes were being held off for a Nintendo character and this appears to be correct. Based on this whole conversation, there's a decent chance that the ARMS character will come with a Luigi's Mansion 3 Mii costume of some kind. In this light, it presents the argument that Microsoft/RARE costumes will probably come with another Microsoft character.
Wait, I thought this was the logic we were going off the entire time? Especially after the Cuphead spirits? Why else would they hold them off?

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, have we covered when there will be a release date for amiibos for the summer? I know it was mentioned sometime in the fall For the cloud amiibo, but have we nailed down a time before that?

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Wait, I thought this was the logic we were going off the entire time? Especially after the Cuphead spirits? Why else would they hold them off?
The reason why Fatman is a little scared is as follows:
-The spirits of Undertale and Luigi's Mansion 3 do not exist and nobody knows why
-Mii costume guy (A person who leaked all the banjo miis except Sans, the characters of Kof stadium and Garreg Mach's Monestary) has long heard that Kris from Deltarune and Gooigi were miis
-Cuphead was mii and then spirit, fatman thinks the same will happen with Luigi's Mansion and Undertale
- Geno and Monster Hunter costumes have no reason not to return because they are already spirits, assist trophies or bosses -Fatman sees possible, does not confirm, the fact that the same thing will happen to the 4 of Cuphead and having spirits of SMRPG and Monster Hunter

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, have we covered when there will be a release date for amiibos for the summer?
June 12th.

amiibo.png

Edit: I like how for some reason, Best Buy never remembers my zip code, lol. It's not 33071, but I do go to the Coral Springs store.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I have a foolproof prediction for the next two characters, using delicious science:

Character 6 will be Twintelle.
Character 7 will be from A Mario RPG.

How do I know this? Because I'm handsome.

Also, I noticed that Twintelle and Mario RPG spirits keep frequenting my spirit board. Foolproof.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I have a foolproof prediction for the next two characters, using delicious science:

Character 6 will be Twintelle.
Character 7 will be from A Mario RPG.

How do I know this? Because I'm handsome.

Also, I noticed that Twintelle and Mario RPG spirits keep frequenting my spirit board. Foolproof.
If we actually got TT (regardless if in a "Hero-style" character or solo) and Geno, I don't think I could ask for a better opening (considering ARMS is *for sure* #6) for me personally.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I played the E3/Wii U demo at the Coral Springs Best Buy

(Formerly Jupiter/FGCU)

Mega Man was a nice way to curb the wait for Geno but I saw the line in the sand with him. Which is why I think Geno is probably going to produce a bigger reaction from me if he is ever revealed as a playable fighter.

QQS

Smash Lord
BFF2FB66-AFA9-45E3-8681-68B969571EF1.jpeg

Funky & Dixie coming to Mario Kart tour!

Hope they get added to Mario Kart for Switch; and of course, Dixie would be a great addition to Smash!

There is nothing left for June so: let’s get this show on the road and keep waiting for our monumental most wanted newcomer ever! ⭐

pinshadow

Smash Lord
June 12th.

View attachment 272206
Edit: I like how for some reason, Best Buy never remembers my zip code, lol. It's not 33071, but I do go to the Coral Springs store.
Oh damn, AMIIBO THEORY NEVER DIES BABY!

View attachment 272215

Hope they get added to Mario Kart for Switch; and of course, Dixie would be a great addition to Smash!

There is nothing left for June so: let’s get this show on the road and keep waiting for our monumental most wanted newcomer ever! ⭐
Mario Kart having good roster choices? Funky and Dixie actually getting into a Mario spinoff in 2020? What timeline is this?

Oh right, the one where IT'S STUCK IN A MOBILE GACHA GAME. MONKEY'S PAW!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
View attachment 272215

I find it strange that Nintendo is well aware of who we want for Mario Kart... But they never did any MK8D DLC pack.

I still like that they at least start to add characters people want.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My guess is the spirit events are taking a small break for now regarding new spirits before the upcoming reveals in a few weeks from now

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, its about damn time they added Dixie.

I say this concerning Mario Kart and hopefully say this with Smash soon.

Along with Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think we were all on the same page. I saw a lot of people touch on this but usually spring away from it for one reason or another.

June 12th.

View attachment 272206
So... This pretty much confirms that 6 was originally planned for April and that Amiibos coming with similar properties (first party in this case) is actually a really strong theory. This being said, Mario and Cloud being rereleased together later this year is actually meaningful. Wow... This is a big deal!

Finally, after yesterday's conversation and nice talk with someone on Discord, I came to realize that the Trials of Mana spirit event is not only the only spirit event we've had so far that focuses on a brand new third party game but, of course, it's a Square Enix game. I mean... ****. It's probably going to be the only third party game that gets this treatment before E3. I know as a fanbase we've been documenting coincidences for almost two years now but we're rapidly approaching OH COME THE **** ON territory with all of this.

Firox

Smash Master
I agree with a lot of his points, namely that they shouldn't stop making characters. Nintendo should absolutly continue making new characters for Smash Bros past this pass. It would literally print money.
When you consider the fact that a DLC pack (1 character and 1 stage) represent approx. 1/80th of the roster and 1/103rd of the stage list, yet sells for approx. 10% of the base game EACH, that pretty much is a money printer right there. Most of all, it keeps the install base active and interested in the game which improves its lifespan and increases the chances of people buying/re-subscribing the online service. The only limiting factor would be poor Sakurai and how long he's willing to be shackled to the computer so they can keep cashing in.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For those keeping score at home, Nintendo has done something DK related the last three weeks. First it was the DK vs Kirby tournament at the beginning of the month, then it was DK's cameo in the Origami King trailer last week, and now Funky and Dixie have joined Mario Kart Tour. It's also notable that this is Dixie's first time in a Mario Kart game. Kinda shines a big ol' spotligherino on the fact that Donkey Kong Country isn't on the Switch Online yet, don't it?

image1.jpg

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
For those keeping score at home, Nintendo has done something DK related the last three weeks. First it was the DK vs Kirby tournament at the beginning of the month, then it was DK's cameo in the Origami King trailer last week, and now Funky and Dixie have joined Mario Kart Tour. It's also notable that this is Dixie's first time in a Mario Kart game. Kinda shines a big ol' spotligherino on the fact that Donkey Kong Country isn't on the Switch Online yet, don't it?

View attachment 272223
I hope this is a prelude to Dixie being added to Smash.

Dixie, K Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, Crash. Bring in the 90s fan favorites.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Hell yeah! I would definitely say that qualifies as our Nintendo news of the week.

shall we start branding this theory? Shall we call it Week Theory? Who’s on board?
Week Theory sounds good, looks like we might actually be onto something. Or, in other words
7B00C555-DF0D-4FF0-87A2-A82D23323125.gif

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
To be fair, Paper Mario: The Origami King was revealed last Thursday so... maybe tomorrow we might be getting the big shadow-drop of the week?:nifty:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
23d or less before we get some Smash news, guys. June 12th is definitely a deadline with that Amiibo restock. Would be incredibly odd of them to push that back to June when it's very likely we also had DLC pushed back.

PS: More coincidences, June 12th is a Tuesday. Not a Monday/Friday/Weekend. It's one of the three prime days for Nintendo.
Jesus CHRIST I am dumb, thank you MattX20 MattX20 for pointing this out. I was probably looking at May on accident when I said that. Expect news before June 12th, likely 9th-11th (the E3 days) as originally expected, possibly the first week instead (2nd-4th).

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

View attachment 272223
Something else? The first part of that Mother Project thing got revealed, the manga project that got announced last year. 35 different artists, pretty neat.
Kinda weird how Itoi's company is apparently making a bunch of different Mother stuff, with more to be announced, when both Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound aren't even on Switch Online yet?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something else? The first part of that Mother Project thing got revealed, the manga project that got announced last year. 35 different artists, pretty neat.
Kinda weird how Itoi's company is apparently making a bunch of different Mother stuff, with more to be announced, when both Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound aren't even on Switch Online yet?

I guess we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
That tears it. The fighter pass is ARMS, Geno, Dixie, Porky, Crash and Chief.
That could be an awesome timeline
You must remember something, we don't have the porky spirit ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom