• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Even though Sakurai has "the final say", he can be persuaded. Shortly after Corrin was revealed, when it came as to why he was added, Sakurai said that "look man i wasn't sure if i should add this one, there are already too many of them Fire Emblemz" and then his team went like "no no man you should totally do this". Literally only went for it because his team pushed him to do so.

Or how about the time Kojima begged Sakurai to add Snake in Smash. or the time time where there an entire campain happened to add K.Rool in Smash 4, and continued into the Ballot (#KrocTheVote anyone?)

He may have the final say, but he sure as hell can be persuaded. and if he can be persuaded by his team or people on the internet that voted for a singing krocodile, and sure as hell can be persuaded by his higher ups at Nintendo. I mean Exececutive Meddling is a thing, and while im not an advocate for it at all, i wouldn't be surpised if it happened (assuming it hasn't happened already)

Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't happen now.
Yeah, I am guilty of that. I was part of the KrocTheVote campaign myself. Was it so bad that I wanted K. Rool in Smash Brothers, if anything?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Yeah, I am guilty of that. I was part of the KrocTheVote campaign myself. Was it so bad that I wanted K. Rool in Smash Brothers, if anything?
No not at all. I was also a heavy supporter of the krock for Smash, so you can imagine my hype for his reveal (even if he was overshadowed by Simon in my eyes)

Hell, i even signed my Real Name's initals (B.K) to the Thank You Letter sent to Nintendo, which is now immortalized in K.Rool's Wikipedia page.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No not at all. I was also a heavy supporter of the krock for Smash, so you can imagine my hype for his reveal (even if he was overshadowed by Simon in my eyes)

Hell, i even signed my Real Name's initals (B.K) to the Thank You Letter sent to Nintendo, which is now immortalized in K.Rool's Wikipedia page.
So did I. I am glad the Kremling Ruler is in! *high fives Pheonx Douchebag*

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I absolutely wanted K. Rool in Smash too. I didn't sign petitions/etc. nor was part of the thread either really. For the most part, I don't often join a lot of fan threads, but didn't really do so till after Smash Ultimate's base was revealed. A lot of the threads I were in here was mostly due to being a Mod.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing that's interesting about Pikmin 3 Deluxe is that it's been part of the rumor-sphere for a long, long time. How long? December 2018 long. Sabi's circle heard it way back then and then King Zell backed it before the first Direct of 2019. Fast forward to Markomaro backing it in November 2019 and then a ****-ton of people backing it in January 2020. Now it's almost confirmed and it puts into perspective the rumors that have had "long legs" and also go back to 2018 and early 2019:

-Waluigi, Geno, Lloyd, and Ryu Hayabusa
-Prime 3 Trilogy for Switch
-RARE Replay and the Master Chief Collection

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Another thing that's interesting about Pikmin 3 Deluxe is that it's been part of the rumor-sphere for a long, long time. How long? December 2018 long. Sabi's circle heard it way back then and then King Zell backed it before the first Direct of 2019. Fast forward to Markomaro backing it in November 2019 and then a ****-ton of people backing it in January 2020. Now it's almost confirmed and it puts into perspective the rumors that have had "long legs" and also go back to 2018 and early 2019:

I've been thinking that prime trilogy was intended as a supplemental piece to prep the general audience for 4 and since that took a massive delay the timeframe for how they wanted to introduce PT got equally messed up and they might just have decided to sit on it awhile if it is in fact real.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Literally what stage, spirits and additional Mario music would Waluigi realistically bring though? I think people are really overestimating his chances. At least Isaac would bring Golden Sun properly into Smash (with only 2 tracks and no stage). Likewise with Arms. Waluigi as a challenger pack (not just standalone) seems mad unlikely imo.
In terms of a stage, Waluigi Pinball. In terms of Spirits, basically any Mario Spirits that aren't in the game yet, mostly from spinoffs like Paper Mario or Mario Teniis. In terms of additional Mario music, some Mario Party and Mario Kart 8 tracks would be very welcome.

As long as Sakurai is picking the characters I don't have faith in Geno's chances. The man has had plenty of chances to add him by now.
Sakurai could've added Banjo back in Smash 4, he could've added Ridley in Smash 4, and he could've added King K. Rool in Brawl. Just because a character takes a while to get in doesn't mean they won't eventually.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
As long as Sakurai is picking the characters I don't have faith in Geno's chances. The man has had plenty of chances to add him by now.
I will never understand this argument. Keep in mind, a ton of requested characters were neglected and rejected in every Smash game and could've happened. Ridley is the biggest example of this. Sakurai has said nothing but negative things towards Ridley back in the day thinking his size wouldn't fit for a character, and turned him down numerous times. In Smash 64, he was a simple background prop for Planet Zebes, in Melee he was just a trophy and made a cameo in Melee's intro movie, Ridley was a boss in Brawl, then demoted to just being a stage hazard in Smash 4, until finally becoming playable in Ultimate. Or what about Banjo? Sakurai planned for Banjo to appear in Melee, but he couldn't obtain the license to use the characters. It took them three more Smash games after Melee to finally get included in the roster. And unlike Ridley and Banjo, Sakurai has talked about Geno in a positive light and said he wants to see him included.

Also, even if Sakurai isn't choosing the DLC, I still don't think its that far-fetched for Nintendo to choose Geno if you really think about it. Look at all of the DLC characters that were included. I am of the belief that Joker and Terry were included due to Sakurai bias, as their respective franchises inspired many elements that are seen in Smash. Hero was added because Dragon Quest is about as big as Mario and Pokemon in Japan, so it kinda makes sense for Nintendo and Sakurai to want to popularize the franchise to the West, and Byleth was the obvious shill pick. However, Banjo is definitely the one character in the Fighters Pass that significantly raises Geno's chances. He hasn't had a game in almost a decade, yet Nintendo chose Banjo & Kazooie because they were very popular in the Ballot, according to one of Sakurai's famitsu columns. I get that Banjo-Kazooie is still an active product from Microsoft, but you have to think in Nintendo's mindset. What would Banjo promote for Nintendo? And if their is anyone that still has the Ballot results, its definitely Nintendo. Sakurai's statement of wanting to make as much fans happy as possible and his statement that it doesn't matter if you're obscure as long as you're fun to play proves that Nintendo nor Sakurai cares about what some people perceive as eligible for the upcoming DLC. Fan requests can go a long way, and Geno's moveset would just be so cool. He is a star possessed by a doll who can transform in to a cannon. How would Nintendo not think that is cool or fun?

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord

Fatman, do you happen to know if it would be just Pikmin 3 or could we possibly get the entire trilogy instead? I'd really like to go back and finish 2 before starting 3, and I'm between a move and have no idea where the gamecube is atm.
(y'know, assuming it's real and all)

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Fatman, do you happen to know if it would be just Pikmin 3 or could we possibly get the entire trilogy instead? I'd really like to go back and finish 2 before starting 3, and I'm between a move and have no idea where the gamecube is atm.
(y'know, assuming it's real and all)
Honestly, if you want to play 1 and/or 2 (or any Gamecube games, for that matter.), I think you'd probably be better off just setting up Dolphin rather than waiting for Nintendo to deign to rerelease anything from that console. I did that recently and I've been having a blast going back to play Pikmin 1, among other games. Did you know there's a randomizer for Pikmin 1 that came out recently?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Honestly, if you want to play 1 and/or 2 (or any Gamecube games, for that matter.), I think you'd probably be better off just setting up Dolphin rather than waiting for Nintendo to deign to rerelease anything from that console. I did that recently and I've been having a blast going back to play Pikmin 1, among other games. Did you know there's a randomizer for Pikmin 1 that came out recently?
Oh yeah for sure, but *if* it was by chance a trilogy, I would just wait for that. If not, then yeah I have no problem doing that.

Also no had no clue about the randomizer. Might have to look into that! Other than my first ever playthrough, I always found Pikmin 1 to be way too easy, so that might be fun to do.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Also no had no clue about the randomizer. Might have to look into that!
I would highly recommend you do that. There's nothing quite like landing down into an area and having to deal with a Smokey Progg gunning for your base, or having to get the Chronus Reactor without Candypop Buds.

Other than my first ever playthrough, I always found Pikmin 1 to be way too easy, so that might be fun to do.
Hmm, well in that case I'd recommend trying for as few days as possible. That's what I've been aiming for and holy hell is it tricky. Each day becomes a grueling test of your memory, hand-eye quardination and time management skills, and every small setback you have can potentially kill your day. The best I've been able to do is 9 days, and the best that can be done at a minimum is 6 days.

Also Challenge Mode.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah, Elma would have made a lot of sense for base game. I'd swap her with Incineroar in a heartbeat. We really didn't need a Pokemon rep in base just for the sake of having a Pokemon rep.
I'd gladly take Incineroar over Elma. I loved Sun and Moon!

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon

Correct me if im wrong but didn't you say Geno and Ryu.H was heard around insider circles around Summer or spring of 2019? (I could be wrong on both honestly)

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I think if Geno gets in, the stage will be some variant of Bowser's Castle pierced by Exor. Forest Maze might be associated with Geno but I think the castle with the animated sword sticking out is the more iconic location of the game as a whole. A forest stage would feel a bit boring by comparison I think.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think if Geno gets in, the stage will be some variant of Bowser's Castle pierced by Exor. Forest Maze might be associated with Geno but I think the castle with the animated sword sticking out is the more iconic location of the game as a whole. A forest stage would feel a bit boring by comparison I think.
Vista Hill + a lot of characters cameos is honestly what I would expect.
Every stage baring like Hero has a lot of characters cameos in them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Correct me if im wrong but didn't you say Geno and Ryu.H was heard around insider circles around Summer or spring of 2019? (I could be wrong on both honestly)
Geno's been heard since August 2018 thanks to the Seven Squares leak and Ryu Hayabusa was first heard in December 2018 around the time of the VGAs. Of the four characters I mentioned for 2018:

Geno- August 2018
Lloyd- September 2018
Waluigi- November 2018
Ryu- December 2018

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Have the Axem Rangers fly past in the Blade and jump on the stage as a Stage Hazard/Boss and we're golden
Or they just charge their canon and kill everyone lol.

For real tho , the funniest thing would be having Jonathan Johnny Jones step into the fight if a specific player is getting bullied , just to protect them. Knowing the guy , he would totally do that.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

If you asked me 5 years ago if I would ever experience somewhat credible leaks/rumours to incorporate Geno, Waluigi, Pikmin, and Rare; I would have laughed.

It’s like I’m living a dream (a good one) where a lot of my favourite childhood characters are experiencing a Nintendo renaissance all around the same time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you asked me 5 years ago if I would ever experience somewhat credible leaks/rumours to incorporate Geno, Waluigi, Pikmin, and Rare; I would have laughed.

It’s like I’m living a dream (a good one) where a lot of my favourite childhood characters are experiencing a Nintendo renaissance all around the same time.
And that's the crazy thing about this. Crazy stuff I was hearing when I first started doing this in late 2018/early 2019 are now coming to fruition even when I assumed certain things were either vaporware or flat out dead. It's kind of ironic that Pikmin 3, the game everyone assumed was a gimme ages ago, is quickly turning into the lynchpin that's tying together every major Nintendo rumor and insider in the past year and giving credibility to even the more seemingly far flung ones like the Master Chief Collection and the dead franchise revivals.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Feels like we're getting another surprise next week around Wednesday or Thursday eh?:denzel: Seeing as there's no E3, no planned Nintendo Direct, and most video game dev. companies/studios (both first party and third) going along with their own flow of Twitter news, YouTube trailer uploads, Twitch streams, AND EVO 2020 being held online throughout the entirety of July, either the 20th or 21st seem like good days for another shadow drop. Could it be the Pikmin 3 (Deluxe) port? The Super Mario "All-Stars 2" collection? Metroid Primer Trilogy? A surprise BANGER franchise coming back from the depths of Nintendo's library of IPs (please F-Zero)?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Feels like we're getting another surprise next week around Wednesday or Thursday eh?:denzel: Seeing as there's no E3, no planned Nintendo Direct, and most video game dev. companies/studios (both first party and third) going along with their own flow of Twitter news, YouTube trailer uploads, Twitch streams, AND EVO 2020 being held online throughout the entirety of July, either the 20th or 21st seem like good days for another shadow drop. Could it be the Pikmin 3 (Deluxe) port? The Super Mario "All-Stars 2" collection? Metroid Primer Trilogy? A surprise BANGER franchise coming back from the depths of Nintendo's library of IPs (please F-Zero)?
I believe this is what we will get too and I am also guessing that is why Nintendo isn't having a Direct in June. My hope is that the next announcement would be a double reveal of who this ARMS rep is and FP7, but I'm not sure that will happen next week. A port of Pikmin 3 or the Mario anniversary collection sound reasonable though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With Nintendo liquidating the Spring Direct, the E3 Direct, AND the 35th Mario anniversary presentation, getting weekly announcements until August or even September is definitely doable. People are talking about a possible Fall Direct but, based on how things are going, I honestly doubt it. Last year showed that they started prepping for the Fall Direct in July and there's no way in Hell that enough is going to change in two months to allow companies to casually meet up to piece together a Direct. Japan has basically started its second wave of Covid-19 and the United States hasn't even gotten done with its first with 90k dead so I don't expect any formal presentations that focus on a particular game or company until 2021.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With Nintendo liquidating the Spring Direct, the E3 Direct, AND the 35th Mario anniversary presentation, getting weekly announcements until August or even September is definitely doable. People are talking about a possible Fall Direct but, based on how things are going, I honestly doubt it. Last year showed that they started prepping for the Fall Direct in July and there's no way in Hell that enough is going to change in two months to allow companies to casually meet up to piece together a Direct. Japan has basically started its second wave of Covid-19 and the United States hasn't even gotten done with its first with 90k dead so I don't expect any formal presentations that focus on a particular game or company until 2021.
If we do get a fall direct, it will probably be like the one at the end of March

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Current guesses for Nintendo next big-drop announcement are..
-Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Next week or two)
-Mario 3D Remasters Collection (June)
-2D Metroid (Late June-Early July)

If we get announcements Weekly, that'll be amazing but I just, can't really see it.
Here too hoping though!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
It's interesting to see the bonus characters subject brought up again. I still find the whole idea highly suspect, but I'm all for it if it's true. I do find it a little baffling that there were some people questioning what Waluigi could even come with when (considering how prolific Mario spin offs are) there is honestly a lot more Waluigi could pull from than Geno could. I know we're biased here and we understand the lengths they could go to add a ton of content from SMRPG and the Mario RPGs but the other Mario RPGs are related to Geno by extension (being from the first Mario RPG) whereas Waluigi is an active member of all those spinoff games.

I'm all for more SMRPG content, but it's rather blind and narrowsighted to say things like Waluigi doesn't have enough to pull from to be a full fighter in the pass. Geno makes just as much sense as a bonus fighter in that case. Remember when we used to think that Geno's only chance to make it at all was as a bonus character? I believe Geno is very likely to come as a playable character but I do wonder if he would be part of the pass or a bonus if there are going to be bonus characters. I would love for Geno to get a stage and many music tracks and costumes and spirits, but I wonder if that's what he would get. As long as I can play as him I'm cool, but I do hope he comes with loads of SMRPG content.

I think we've latched onto the idea of Geno as part of the pass due to Mii costume leaks, but I guess we will see how things pan out. As someone who hasn't actually played many other SE games, but has played and adores SMRPG, if you asked me if SMRPG should get the red carpet treatment or if Geno should be a bonus fighter and another SE universe should get all the bells and whistles even I would have to admit it would be much weirded to see Sora, Neku, 2B, Lara, etc coming as a bonus fighter without much content from their universes than it would be to see Geno come as a bonus fighter (with 2 songs like Fatman speculated bonus fighters would come with) considering that Mario already has a ton of songs, spirits, miis, and stages even if they aren't RPG related. That being said, no other SE characters have the evidence that Geno has so I really don't think there's anything to worry about and I'm not convinced of bonus fighters anyway not that I'd be butthurt if Geno was just a bonus fighter because I would just be elated that my most wanted is finally playable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
11 weeks until August and about 15 until September and at least one of the weeks is going to be dedicated to Smash. This isn't to say that Nintendo would fill all of these by themselves but they could honestly do most with minimal effort by themselves if a good number of the lingering rumors come true:

-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-Super Mario 3D Hurled Deluxe
-Mario Remasters (might even be split up)
-Zelda Remasters (same as above)
-2D Metroid
-Prime Trilogy
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia
-DK platformer
-Wario Land/Ware
-Fire Emblem 6/7 Remake
-Dead franchise #1 (potentially multiple announcements)
-Dead franchise #2 (potentially two announcements)
-SNES dump

This doesn't even include third party announcements.

While on the topic, certain SNES games being held off is pretty notable now. If you look at the SNES Online now, there's literally only three games tied to first party franchises from the SNES Classic that are MIA and it's a pretty distinct pachyderm in the foyer when we're only three weeks out from when E3 was originally scheduled. Of course, this is made even more blatant given they decided to release a 25 YEAR OLD JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE GAME before them so, to quote Christian Bale's Batman "WHERE ARE THEY?!?"

MattX20

Smash Hero
11 weeks until August and about 15 until September and at least one of the weeks is going to be dedicated to Smash. This isn't to say that Nintendo would fill all of these by themselves but they could honestly do most with minimal effort by themselves if a good number of the lingering rumors come true:

-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-2D Metroid
-Prime Trilogy
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia
-DK platformer
-Wario Land/Ware
-Fire Emblem 6/7 Remake
-SNES dump

While on the topic, certain SNES games being held off is pretty notable now. If you look at the SNES Online now, there's literally only three games tied to first party franchises from the SNES Classic that are MIA and it's a pretty distinct pachyderm in the foyer when we're only three weeks out from when E3 was originally scheduled. Of course, this is made even more blatant given they decided to release a 25 YEAR OLD JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE GAME before them so, to quote Christian Bale's Batman "WHERE ARE THEY?!?"
This will be quite the wait

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

-Pikmin 3 Deluxe
-2D Metroid
-Prime Trilogy
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia
-DK platformer
-Wario Land/Ware
-Fire Emblem 6/7 Remake
-SNES dump

I think this week will be crucial in establishing whether or not Nintendo does indeed intend to release a steady stream of weekly info. We have slowly started to establish a pattern, but these next weeks are key.

Also - What does it say about me as a human being that the prospect of the Mario and Zelda remasters being released separately (64 and Sunshine being their own individual games) makes me want them even MORE? Is this OCD?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think this week will be crucial in establishing whether or not Nintendo does indeed intend to release a steady stream of weekly info. We have slowly started to establish a pattern, but these next weeks are key.

Also - What does it say about me as a human being that the prospect of the Mario and Zelda remasters being released separately (64 and Sunshine being their own individual games) makes me want them even MORE? Is this OCD?
I don't blame you. It really depends on what the remasters offer but I'd honestly buy Galaxy if it's literally just updated graphics and most of the 3D Marios and Zeldas only need a few tweaks or additions to convince me to buy them again.

Super Mario 64 - Just make it the DS version.

Sunshine - tighten the controls and make the blue coin system less of a pain in the ass.

Ocarina of Time- I've bought this game in some capacity 3 times now so I admit it would take a lot to convince me to get it a fourth time.

Twilight Princess- If the last two dungeons weren't so bad it probably would have been my all time favorite Zelda.

Skyward Sword- basically a massive laundry list of mildly annoying things that could easily be fixed.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So when would the next Smash character themselves be revealed? Getting very tired of Arms speculation

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Ocarina of Time- I've bought this game in some capacity 3 times now so I admit it would take a lot to convince me to get it a fourth time.

Twilight Princess- If the last two dungeons weren't so bad it probably would have been my all time favorite Zelda.

Skyward Sword- basically a massive laundry list of mildly annoying things that could easily be fixed.
Instead of these three (esp considering how mediocre 2 of them are and how overrated all 3 of them are), I wish they'd do some other Zelda games instead:
- ALTTP: The fact that this game has never once gotten a remake/remaster of any kind blows my mind. If they wanted to go the extra mile, incorporate the ALTTP Randomizer to keep it alive for so many years to come. Hire the ALTTPR people to keep working on it!
- LBW: Yeah it's on 3DS, but it's such a great game and I'd love to see it get a Switch port. It surprises me how little people talk about this game, especially considering it "shook up the formula" 3.5 years before BOTW. It's also the only game directly linked (haha) to ALTTP. Seriously though, great game that more people seriously need to experience. Even if it's just an upscaled port, I'd probably still buy it.
- Oracle series: Give it the LA remake treatment, and also make the missing Farore game too. Finish the damn trilogy! Also, release it as a *trilogy*. One of these games for $60 is way too steep, which is what put off many people from buying LA. Having the entire Oracle Trilogy on one game would be amazing. You can also keep the link system, span it across all 3 games instead of just Seasons and Ages (so post-Ganon content, and even a sword better than Master Sword?), and even let the game recognize when you're linking it to your other games so you don't have to do the long-ass passwords.
- LOZ 1: The classic, the OG, the game that started it all from Miyamoto's childhood enjoyment of exploring caves, HOW HAS *THIS* GAME NEVER BEEN REMADE??? Like ALTTP, throw the Randomizer on it.

Seriously, I don't get the obsession with TP/SS at all. OoT I get, but I still do think it's very overrated and gets that rep just for being the first 3D Zelda.

So when would the next Smash character themselves be revealed? Getting very tired of Arms speculation
ABG the same day the ARMS rep is revealed.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Assuming we are getting 3 characters per year I wouldn’t be surprised if a new character isn’t announced until like August.

Wasn’t Byleth released and announced within the same month? If so, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo used a similar timeline for release for future dlc.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think we get multiple reveals, but it’s not that crazy if they just revealed the arms fighter either.

The way Nintendo has been trickling information leads me to believe that the announcement of a new character isn’t happening anytime soon.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's interesting to see the bonus characters subject brought up again. I still find the whole idea highly suspect, but I'm all for it if it's true. I do find it a little baffling that there were some people questioning what Waluigi could even come with when (considering how prolific Mario spin offs are) there is honestly a lot more Waluigi could pull from than Geno could. I know we're biased here and we understand the lengths they could go to add a ton of content from SMRPG and the Mario RPGs but the other Mario RPGs are related to Geno by extension (being from the first Mario RPG) whereas Waluigi is an active member of all those spinoff games.

I'm all for more SMRPG content, but it's rather blind and narrowsighted to say things like Waluigi doesn't have enough to pull from to be a full fighter in the pass. Geno makes just as much sense as a bonus fighter in that case. Remember when we used to think that Geno's only chance to make it at all was as a bonus character? I believe Geno is very likely to come as a playable character but I do wonder if he would be part of the pass or a bonus if there are going to be bonus characters. I would love for Geno to get a stage and many music tracks and costumes and spirits, but I wonder if that's what he would get. As long as I can play as him I'm cool, but I do hope he comes with loads of SMRPG content.

I think we've latched onto the idea of Geno as part of the pass due to Mii costume leaks, but I guess we will see how things pan out. As someone who hasn't actually played many other SE games, but has played and adores SMRPG, if you asked me if SMRPG should get the red carpet treatment or if Geno should be a bonus fighter and another SE universe should get all the bells and whistles even I would have to admit it would be much weirded to see Sora, Neku, 2B, Lara, etc coming as a bonus fighter without much content from their universes than it would be to see Geno come as a bonus fighter (with 2 songs like Fatman speculated bonus fighters would come with) considering that Mario already has a ton of songs, spirits, miis, and stages even if they aren't RPG related. That being said, no other SE characters have the evidence that Geno has so I really don't think there's anything to worry about and I'm not convinced of bonus fighters anyway not that I'd be butthurt if Geno was just a bonus fighter because I would just be elated that my most wanted is finally playable.
See I think if they're doing bonuses that they both make more sense as one. But I do think Waluigi realistically has very little to contribute to a challenger pack compared to others. Like imagine if we get Waluigi in the pass and Hyabusa is a bonus. We would get a Waluigi pinball stage, yet another Mario themed spirit board filled with alternate versions of characters already present in the game, and more tracks to add to the already overflowing pile of Mario music. Meanwhile Ninja Gaiden gets 2 songs, no stage, and no spirit board. Does that really make any logical sense to anyone here?

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
We still don’t know if a “bonus character” would come along with a stage like Smash 4 had. There is still stuff we don’t know. I do think that if there were 4 slots left after the pass, they intended to fill it (like in the previous game).

something no one has really talked about (that I’ve noticed) is if the same thing applies to stages. Is there a limited number of slots or not? I think it’s worth researching. Who’s to say we wouldn’t get bonus stages as well. Just speculating here...

Polarthief

Smash Lord
something no one has really talked about (that I’ve noticed) is if the same thing applies to stages. Is there a limited number of slots or not? I think it’s worth researching. Who’s to say we wouldn’t get bonus stages as well. Just speculating here...
Who's even to say if it'd be impossible to add more slots for fighters? Yeah they added a ton of extra slots, but that doesn't mean it's automatically impossible to add more, right? Or has that been looked into already and I'm just a dumb who hasn't heard of it til now?

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I don't blame you. It really depends on what the remasters offer but I'd honestly buy Galaxy if it's literally just updated graphics and most of the 3D Marios and Zeldas only need a few tweaks or additions to convince me to buy them again.

Sunshine - tighten the controls and make the blue coin system less of a pain in the ass.

sunshine's blue coins aren't nearly as bad once you learn there are 30 per level, you can just see the total collected and figure out how many you are missing, granted some are mission limited, and it would be nice if they told you every level has 30 up front, it would also be nice if you could kill the cataquacks(the enimies that throw you up on the beach lv) just so the watermellon festival is a lot less of a pain

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
See I think if they're doing bonuses that they both make more sense as one. But I do think Waluigi realistically has very little to contribute to a challenger pack compared to others. Like imagine if we get Waluigi in the pass and Hyabusa is a bonus. We would get a Waluigi pinball stage, yet another Mario themed spirit board filled with alternate versions of characters already present in the game, and more tracks to add to the already overflowing pile of Mario music. Meanwhile Ninja Gaiden gets 2 songs, no stage, and no spirit board. Does that really make any logical sense to anyone here?
This. This is something I want to discuss. I think that Waluigi would be bonus because while you could make a stage and music and a spirit board for him, you're going to have to really pull some straws for that board. I know people make the argument that "he can use spinoff stuff" but consider the fact that most all the spinoffs are already spirits in the game. You'd have to really grab at air to get a good spirit board. Same reason I think Bandana Dee would be a bonus: he has viable stages and music but a board is really hard to do because you'd have to pick some kind of out-there enemies and bosses to fill up a board properly. Assuming Adeleine, Taranza, Hyness, and Dark Meta Knight got added in the board.

Meanwhile, Super Mario RPG has untapped potential for a spirit board since only Mallow and Geno have preexisting spirits, so to say Waluigi has a better kit than Geno is crazy, even if bias wasn't involved.

Sum it up: fighter pass characters seem to come with a board that consists of mainly recognizable imagery and characters from the game the character originated from. This doesn't work for some characters, so making them bonuses like Plant would be better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom