• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I was super excited watching at first, but yeah, after looking closer, this really doesn't look like the return to form we needed.

we need a rerelease of SMRPG like yesterday bro

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So yeah new Paper Mario. Has story, original characters (though limited in terms of new designs for classic enemies, we do see an explorer Toad though), there ARE partners though we haven’t seen how they figure into battle yet, music is good, and a new battle system that doesn’t use stickers or cards or whatever.

What a Thursday.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
This about sums up my feelings on the matter. Whether its a good or bad game doesn't even matter to me anymore the series has just shifted direction so hard it's just not the paper mario I was sold on anymore and it makes it hard to care.
Yeah, I was just thinking about how the old school Paper Marios (and Super imo) are practically a different series from the modern games entirely. So there's "Paper Mario" and "Literal Paper Mario" if you will.

And in that context, Origami King is actually a pretty damn good step in the right direction for Literal Paper Mario, but severally underwhelming for a new Paper Mario. If I can put that past me then I might have a good time with the game, but I'm just sad that the OG Paper Mario series looks to be dead in the water.

Firox

Smash Master
So is anyone worried they might add Paper Mario now?
Realistically? I doubt it. And by doubt it, I mean I sure as hell hope not. Don't get me wrong, I know some people would be hyped (for reasons I don't understand, cuz do we seriously need another Mario? Is he trying to compete with Link for semi-clones?) and I know others only care about whether his moveset would be original, but I feel it would be a waste of a slot that could have been taken by a character fully unique to smash (ie Geno, Crash, etc. etc. assuming we don't get them too).

That said, there's really no telling how hard Nintendo will pleasure themselves or what Sakurai will allow and that DOES kind of worry me.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Realistically? I doubt it. And by doubt it, I mean I sure as hell hope not. Don't get me wrong, I know some people would be hyped (for reasons I don't understand, cuz do we seriously need another Mario? Is he trying to compete with Link for semi-clones?) and I know others only care about whether his moveset would be original, but I feel it would be a waste of a slot that could have been taken by a character fully unique to smash (ie Geno, Crash, etc. etc. assuming we don't get them too).

That said, there's really no telling how hard Nintendo will pleasure themselves or what Sakurai will allow and that DOES kind of worry me.
Paper Mario would definitely not be a semi-clone.

For starter , his hammer , one of his most iconic weapons , isn't used by Mario. On top of that , you have all the badges giving Mario different effects , and lot of different variants of each move. Of course , you also have the timed hits mechanics... You also have the partners that would bring a loooooot to the moveset. And finally , his TTYD transformation or SPM 3D Flip could lead to very interesting mechanics.

What is worrying thought , is that modern paper mario lack most of this baring his hammer , and is more like "Hahaha funny paper man" and lose a lot of what people like about Paper Mario.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
God, that trailer left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't even think it looks that bad but honestly, knowing what Paper Mario COULD be I'm having a really hard time finding enjoyment in those games. It also doesn't help that SMRPG is locked away deep in Square's basement and M&L is pretty much in limbo right now. We might never see an RPG featuring Mario characters ever again and it stings... also why the heck wasn't this announced back in the Mini Direct?? The game comes out in two months, shouldn't it be essentially finished by now? It all feels so sudden.

D

Deleted member

So is anyone worried they might add Paper Mario now?
Not really. So far, Square content comes with Square content. We only got DQ content and in Smash Ultimate and we got only 2 costumes in a wave Smash 4 nothing but Geno and Chocobo when there’s clearly room for more. They don’t even have to add a Smithy costume for Paper Mario since Smithy nowhere nearly as popular as Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

It just seems like besides the veterans added in Wii U, the Nintendo DLC characters have been promotion picks(assuming we get some kind of an Arms announcement next month), and if this pass is primarily Nintendo, I can see us getting Paper Mario, a new Pokemon, and a BotW 2 character too.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok so, we didn't got Super Mario RPG announced for the SNES NSO Library but, the following day we get Paper Mario: The Origami King shadow dropped (announced) and coming up very soon. Hmm... you know, I found the fact that Bowser, Bowser Jr., and Kamek apparently joining up with Mario, feeling a lot like a throw-back to Super Mario RPG where Bowser allowed Mario to "join" his Koopa Troops. :chrono: Hmm, really makes you think if... this game's plot might have more similarities to SMRPG than the other Paper Mario games.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
YOOOOOOOOOO HOLY **** A NEW PAPER MARIO GAME! AND IT'S... strikingly similar to Color Splash, largely focuses on paper gimmicks, seems to mostly only make use of the traditional Mario cast of characters and baddies and still has a highly questionable battle system.

... man, it's not even that the game looks bad, I'm sure it must be enjoyable in its own right, but "return to form" my ass.
Agreed

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was just thinking about how the old school Paper Marios (and Super imo) are practically a different series from the modern games entirely. So there's "Paper Mario" and "Literal Paper Mario" if you will.

And in that context, Origami King is actually a pretty damn good step in the right direction for Literal Paper Mario, but severally underwhelming for a new Paper Mario. If I can put that past me then I might have a good time with the game, but I'm just sad that the OG Paper Mario series looks to be dead in the water.
For what it's worth I wholeheartedly believe this will be the best of the three sticker star-esque PM games. But they can make it as good as they want and I'll be happy for it's fans but like persona, fire emblem, and now pokemon before it I think this just isn't a series for me anymore and I might just be moving on to greener pastures

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Ok so, we didn't got Super Mario RPG announced for the SNES NSO Library but, the following day we get Paper Mario: The Origami King shadow dropped (announced) and coming up very soon. Hmm... you know, I found the fact that Bowser, Bowser Jr., and Kamek apparently joining up with Mario, feeling a lot like a throw-back to Super Mario RPG where Bowser allowed Mario to "join" his Koopa Troops. :chrono: Hmm, really makes you think if... this game's plot might have more similarities to SMRPG than the other Paper Mario games.
Yeah , that's something iv'e noticed. I don't even mind if we don't have unique partners , if they allow us to travel alongside cool characters like them , the adventure will be better in my eyes.
Especially since come on , Bowser and Bowser Junior were amazing in the RPGs.

---

It pain me , because it's obvious they listened to criticsm and improved on a lot of things , but they're still too focused on the litteral paper aspect , and less the memorable adventures with real stakes from the first 3 games. It's too light hearted for my taste. (I mean Paper Mario 64 wasn't the most complex story , but it still felt like Bowser wasn't playing around , the star rod was a huge deal in the story)

Firox

Smash Master
It just seems like besides the veterans added in Wii U, the Nintendo DLC characters have been promotion picks(assuming we get some kind of an Arms announcement next month), and if this pass is primarily Nintendo, I can see us getting Paper Mario, a new Pokemon, and a BotW 2 character too.
Honestly, this would be a worst case scenario for me. If they give us a whole pass of shills (not necessarily saying the ARMS rep is, but it could be if they unveil ARMS 2) I'm strongly debating not buying it. Especially if they cuck Geno and pretty much every other character fans have been vocally pining for in exchange for MORE versions of characters we already have multiples of. That said, I still do kinda expect us to get a gen 8 pokemon. It would be unfathomable to me that Nintendo would pass up the chance to shill SwSh any less than they already have.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm sure we will get a Spirit event for Paper Mario, but it seems a little unlikely they would make their first true DLC Mario character for Super Smash Bros a third Mario. Not that I am one that makes rules or anything, but the chances of Paper Mario being thrown at us as a DLC character knowing where Geno and other Mario characters stand before him would be a really bad look for Nintendo. Like worse than Byleth levels.

I really do like the Origami aesthetic, but I get more SS/CS vibes from this one. Bowser's Inside Story truly feels like the last RPG game we ever had. That's over 10 years ago. If Geno does make it as a playable character, I really hope he garners more interest for a legitimate Mario RPG game moving forward.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean.. it could go inline with Khans comments of "it will mostly be first party".....

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm sure we will get a Spirit event for Paper Mario, but it seems a little unlikely they would make their first true DLC Mario character for Super Smash Bros a third Mario. Not that I am one that makes rules or anything, but the chances of Paper Mario being thrown at us as a DLC character knowing where Geno and other Mario characters stand before him would be a really bad look for Nintendo. Like worse than Byleth levels.

I really do like the Origami aesthetic, but I get more SS/CS vibes from this one. Bowser's Inside Story truly feels like the last RPG game we ever had. That's over 10 years ago. If Geno does make it as a playable character, I really hope he garners more interest for a legitimate Mario RPG game moving forward.
Slight nitpick , but I honestly feel that Dream Team is on the same level of Bowser Inside Story of term of "Mario RPG spirit". But it's still been like 8 years , so yeah.

The closest things we had to Mario RPGs in the last years were the Superstar Saga and Bowser Inside Story remakes.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I guess the whole "Paper Mario return to form" thing is either only partially true or a ****ing lie. Nintendo really doesn't want to just go back to the N64 and TTYD formula. I never even played Paper Mario but the first two games were the most interesting and this new certainly doesn't interest me that much YET.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I mean.. it could go inline with Khans comments of "it will mostly be first party".....
Yeah, I'm thinking this second pass will be an inverse of the first one where we will get four 1st party characters and only two 3rd party. I just pray Geno is one of them.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Now the important thing about this shadow dropped announcement of Paper Mario: The Origami King; we can say that this was pretty much an E3 2020 level announcement, right? I mean, it's a brand new Mario (Paper Mario) game coming to the Switch (and coming in JULY!!!). This announcement then should pretty much lead the way to other E3 2020 level announcements in the coming days (or heck... maybe even today).

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Now the important thing about this shadow dropped announcement of Paper Mario: The Origami King; we can say that this was pretty much an E3 2020 level announcement, right? I mean, it's a brand new Mario (Paper Mario) game coming to the Switch (and coming in JULY!!!). This announcement then should pretty much lead the way to other E3 2020 level announcements in the coming days (or heck... maybe even today).
Yeah , for all we know , we could get Geno in a tweet announcement at this point.

We could be talking for hours about what all of this mean , and Geno would be pocking at our back being like "so uh , you all wanted to see me back , right ?"

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, the nice thing one can say about this new installment of Paper Mario is that at least it isn't Sticker Star regardless of whatever your feelings are to this based on the trailer

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Chalk up another rumor that turned out true but it looks like nobody got the details totally right. Not a Paper Mario 64 Remake but a brand new Paper Mario BUT it looks like a tweaked SS/CS style system. Once again, ladies, gents, and other fine people, this rumor originally came out in November. Also, I'm totally going to put on my ten foot tin foil hat but I think the ending was foreshadowing that the Metroid and DK rumors are probably true too, especially in the light that Markomaro broke the DK rumor story around the same timeframe as Paper Mario and Metroid in the fall.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Since it's been all but confirmed now that twitter has replaced Nintendo direct at least for the time being I wonder what we could all be seeing shadowdropped out of the blue like this. I really hope golden sun gets a proper marketing push and not just a social media post that would be so anti-climactic.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Chalk up another rumor that turned out true but it looks like nobody got the details totally right. Not a Paper Mario 64 Remake but a brand new Paper Mario BUT it looks like a tweaked SS/CS style system. Once again, ladies, gents, and other fine people, this rumor originally came out in November. Also, I'm totally going to put my ten foot tin foil hat but I think the ending was foreshadowing that the Metroid and DK are probably true too, especially in the light that Markomaro broke the DK rumor story around the same timeframe as Paper Mario in the fall.
Well, we have a few weeks left before June to see if any more of those rumors pan out before the Smash reveals happen

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Since it's been all but confirmed now that twitter has replaced Nintendo direct at least for the time being I wonder what we could all be seeing shadowdropped out of the blue like this. I really hope golden sun gets a proper marketing push and not just a social media post that would be so anti-climactic.
"Here's a brand new F-Zero , have fun !"

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Was just checking some of the more recent comments on the Paper Mario: The Origami King reveal trailer and, I saw some commenting on how the "curses" (paper abilities) from PM: TTYD perhaps might have been a prelude to this game's plot. Hmm... if so... I am more intrigued.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Chalk up another rumor that turned out true but it looks like nobody got the details totally right. Not a Paper Mario 64 Remake but a brand new Paper Mario BUT it looks like a tweaked SS/CS style system. Once again, ladies, gents, and other fine people, this rumor originally came out in November. Also, I'm totally going to put my ten foot tin foil hat but I think the ending was foreshadowing that the Metroid and DK are probably true too, especially in the light that Markomaro broke the DK rumor story around the same timeframe as Paper Mario in the fall.
Well if DK and Metroid do end up coming, then at least I'll have two NEW things to be excited about this year because this Paper Mario isn't doing anything for me right now.

You know, as someone who doesn't give a damn about Fire Emblem and is interested in Paper Mario and Advance Wars, it's kinda aggravating seeing one franchise seeing major success, while the others either keep getting super experimental or get abandoned.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
God, I'd sell my soul for more Metroid games available on Switch. A new DK certainly wouldn't hurt either.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I thing it's too early to judge how close this is going to be to any side of the Paper Mario Spectrum, but here's what's I noticed my analysis:
  • Something very important that nobody noticed (probably because nobody missed): THINGS. ARE. GONE. And the stretchable arms are the only thing that is being used in the overworld. (he's the new ARMS rep lol)
  • They still keeping the tendency of only using the Basic Marioverse design. I don't get why they can't afford to buy a costume for enemy NPCs / hire some Odyssey enemies to play a role in this game. The bom-omb bit makes me hope that he's the only paper bom-omb in this game, but sigh... At the very least, it seems they've got a bigger bugdet for costumes than Color Splash and we have the origami characters, which are very interesting and I hope they are hiding more of them.
  • Judging the battle system at this time it's still too early with how much we know: there's clues of a more traditional Turn-Based RPG system with puzzle elements and equipment, but just because it isn't TTYD, it doesn't mean it can't be good. I'll wait and see on that one, but it shows promise.
    • But something to keep an eye out for are how items work and if there's extra actions that can be performed if you have someone following you, which brings us to...
  • We have no partners visible... in battle: Some of the sequences they've shown reveal that there are characters that accompany your party (and for a long time by the looks of it), and even some good amount of interactions between characters.
    • Bom-omb appears to follow you for a good while, appearing in 4 different locations
    • We have a hot spring scene with Kamek (which follows you for a while), Bowser Jr., and a origami character (EDIT: it looks like it is Olivia)
  • The scenarios and atmosphere are really interesting, even though they've already used this style before and they are repeating some general themes.
    • The map structure is still a mystery: While it looks like this game is building from Color Splash, the boat sequence gives me a vibe that they are mixing the map structure from 64 and vehicles from Final Fantasy, but just speculation on my part
  • The story is something that people are really undervaluing so far because of the Toad/enemy fiasco and can be really promising if they nail it:
    • Bowser and his army are helping us this time around, which is something that we didn't see for a while.
    • The intro cutscene was really unsettling, even more so than that one Color Splash sequence.
    • We have original bosses, but how many only time will tell.
    • We don't know how much we saw of the game: I think we may have seen footage of all chapters, but a lot of easter eggs / important stuff is kept hidden until the game's release.
Also, we're getting this game in 2 months, before any of the ports, which VentureBeat says it's coming soon, along with the Collection. Hmmmmmmmm..... I'm starting to believe what Phil Spencer said about early 2021 being the delay zone and that most 2020 launches are safe, only suffering from 1/2 months at the most, so BOTW2 could still happen in 2020 (which is a miracle if true). At the same time, Paper Mario could've been finished beforehand, so it's not like I know how things are going to pan out.
I think the "the return to form" part is accurate: it just so happens that "the form of paper mario" is a subjective thing and we still don't know everything, but what I've seen in the trailer shows a more "traditional RPG style" to me, so it's nothing to overthink about. As for the Metroid and DK rumors, I only expect them in the next General Direct (if they are 2020/early 2021)

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I don't know if it's too off topic , but if anyone is too disapointed in the new PM game , Bug Fables is coming to Switch soon , and is an excellent PM 64 spirtitual successor.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
For those who are disappointed in the Paper Mario game’s combat being like SS and CS:
It doesn’t seem there are stickers, and you can have stronger equipment(shiny boots), but there seems to be some kind of new ring mechanic in combat.
This game looks great but I’m still cautious.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, the thing that excites me most about the Paper Mario reveal is that it adds credibility to the few rumors that both Markomaro and my contacts heard and supported:

-Fire Emblem 6/7 remake
-Revival of two dead franchises either with new installments or remakes
-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life Sequel/Remaster

Although, I will say, if Nintendo flat out shadowdrops either potential dead franchise coming back I think the internet will collectively and rightfully **** itself.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the thing that excites me most about the Paper Mario reveal is that it adds credibility to the few rumors that both Markomaro and my contacts heard and supported:

-Fire Emblem 6/7 remake
-Revival of two dead franchises either with new installments or remakes
-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life Sequel/Remaster

Although, I will say, if Nintendo flat out shadowdrops either potential dead franchise coming back I think the internet will collectively and rightfully **** itself.
How I would kill for a Paper Mario 64 or TTYD remake so that I could finally try those games easily without emulating.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
So according to VentureBeat, the Mario 3D Remasters and Pikmin 3 Deluxe announcements should be soon...
Please just give me Mario Galaxy HD on Switch, I’m ready. Same with Pikmin 3.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So according to VentureBeat, the Mario 3D Remasters and Pikmin 3 Deluxe announcements should be soon...
Please just give me Mario Galaxy HD on Switch, I’m ready. Same with Pikmin 3.
*sigh*... I guess I shouldn't have hold up too much hope for Pikmin 4... Here's hoping they at least add online play , I don't need much more than that.
ashley say whatever.jpg

I'm glad for the people who missed out on Pikmin 3 , but due to how Nintendo seem to treat port as new games , my last hope for Pikmin 4 is a late life Switch game , wich wouldn't sell all that well...

---

But hey , still holding up hope for Geno. We still don't know what they have in store for FP7 , after all.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I can care for Paper Mario is that release date. We've been talking a mighty bunch about conspiracies for Fighter 7 to be released July, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom