• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I know what you wrote... and I say again... This is one of the poster boys of iconic villains. Of course, there is solid support for him. There is a reason why Square put him in the supposed "seven names" that floated around before Hero got revealed.
Sephiroth is probably a fart in the wind at this point being pushed to cover someone else. As I mentioned before, Nintendo couldn’t even secure more than 2 tracks and original artwork like they should have. If they didn’t bother, that’s probably because how weird the rights of FF are. Lara, 2B, Crono, and Geno would fit a complete pack a lot better than Sephiroth. With how clustered the rights of FF, why not go for Geno who is one of the longest requested characters to be in or at least someone from another franchise if Geno isn’t happening?

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Okay, I've decided to sit down an watch one of his videos (that video being The Thunder Discusses Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Cabbage Patch Kids), and I have a few questions.
  1. How old is this kid? Judging from his cringy, Imagine Dragons-inspired name, I'd wager he's somewhere in his early teens, but you can never be sure.
  2. Does he not have anything to do direct capture with? I don't know how much allowance he gets every week, but I'm sure if he saves it up he could afford something decent.
  3. Why does he title his videos as "discussions" when he only discusses stuff 10% of the time? Sounds like false advertising to me.
  4. Does he want to **** Tooty from Banjo-Kazooie? There's a point in the video as he's discussing "Cameo Theory" that he sort of drifts towards talking about Tooty, how giddy he was to see her again, and about how there should be a game starring her called "Banjo-Tooty". This kind of gives me the impression that he really wants to get caught up in her bear trap, if you catch my drift. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to pork a bear or a fictional character, but she's kind of young.
: I don't know why Thunder is obsess with Tooty, maybe he wants a big fat booty! Ugly Tooty while in her fat state, isn't healthy to obsess over at all if he is looking for real estate!

He also attacks those in the comment section that wants Spirits promoted, he says "NO!!!" They're demoted! "No chance in hell!" He says for the possibility, maybe he should get a life and find a reality!

I fully agree, Crash and Geno are the last two fighters I think are mandatory to fullfill the EVERYONE IS HERE slogan. Shantae would have been the third but I digress.
Cough, Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Okay, I've decided to sit down an watch one of his videos (that video being The Thunder Discusses Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Cabbage Patch Kids), and I have a few questions.
  1. How old is this kid? Judging from his cringy, Imagine Dragons-inspired name, I'd wager he's somewhere in his early teens, but you can never be sure.
  2. Does he not have anything to do direct capture with? I don't know how much allowance he gets every week, but I'm sure if he saves it up he could afford something decent.
  3. Why does he title his videos as "discussions" when he only discusses stuff 10% of the time? Sounds like false advertising to me.
  4. Does he want to **** Tooty from Banjo-Kazooie? There's a point in the video as he's discussing "Cameo Theory" that he sort of drifts towards talking about Tooty, how giddy he was to see her again, and about how there should be a game starring her called "Banjo-Tooty". This kind of gives me the impression that he really wants to get caught up in her bear trap, if you catch my drift. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to pork a bear or a fictional character, but she's kind of young.

It's kind of off-putting, really. The eyes look so shiny and kind of awkward compared to the dull colors of everything else around it.

Also, welcome to the Geno Thread! Have a complimentary Geno hat!
View attachment 264216
I don’t think thunder productions is a teen. I always thought he was at least 20 or 30.

MattX20

Smash Hero
and thus, March speculation is under way. Let's hope the general direct isn't too far away now

D

Deleted member

I’m hoping we get something this month. Least Animal Crossing: New Horizons is out soon so got that to look forward too.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The port I wanted for the Switch is already happening, Wonderful 101, so I'm good. Though, I wouldn't mind a Mario RPG compilation package or a remake of Super Mario RPG

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So , I think this point has already been brought up before... But with Hero having more than two songs , it may be possible that we get more than two songs with Geno.

However , I saw several people telling me it was because the "Enix" side was more easy-going with stuff like that... When we talked to death about how the DQ composer gave MIDIs of the OSTs to the west even if he had the orchestral versions , that he owned the OSTs , all that stuff.

So honestly , i'm pretty confused about this whole situation. Is the music issue only linked to Final Fantasy weird rights in the end ? Maybe that , since Youkou Shimomura made the SMRPG OST , and SE probably own it directly... It would be easier to licence music for the Fighter Pack of Geno ? (I still strongly believe that SE own the OST , the only time we saw the SMRPG OST again was in Fortune Street (a game developped by SE) and Geno mii costume reveal.)

I admit that I initially thought they could add Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi tracks with those , to make the package feel more full. Because damn , the Mario and Luigi selection is okay-ish , but the PM selection just make me straight up sad lol

MattX20

Smash Hero
So , I think this point has already been brought up before... But with Hero having more than two songs , it may be possible that we get more than two songs with Geno.

However , I saw several people telling me it was because the "Enix" side was more easy-going with stuff like that... When we talked to death about how the DQ composer gave MIDIs of the OSTs to the west even if he had the orchestral versions , that he owned the OSTs , all that stuff.

So honestly , i'm pretty confused about this whole situation. Is the music issue only linked to Final Fantasy weird rights in the end ? Maybe that , since Youkou Shimomura made the SMRPG OST , and SE probably own it directly... It would be easier to licence music for the Fighter Pack of Geno ? (I still strongly believe that SE own the OST , the only time we saw the SMRPG OST again was in Fortune Street (a game developped by SE) and Geno mii costume reveal.)

I admit that I initially thought they could add Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi tracks with those , to make the package feel more full. Because damn , the Mario and Luigi selection is okay-ish , but the PM selection just make me straight up sad lol
Yeah, Sugiyama and Uematsu are notoriously stingy regarding how the music they composed is used, which is why there's only two tracks per game/character. Yoko however owns the rights to the tracks she composed and has been with the music team since Brawl, so I don't think it would be an issue to get Super Mario RPG tracks, Paper Mario, and or Mario and Luigi music on board to give as much Mario RPG love as possible.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Just a reminder that there are 4 heroes and each one has 2 songs. While Joker, one character, has 10 songs spread across 3 games from Persona.

I'm pretty sure it's the composers. That said, while it's unlikely we'll get any of the Uematsu tracks (FF4 Boss theme, FF Fanfare/Victory, and FF Prelude), Shimomura is supposedly a lot easier to work with, so hopefully we would get more than 2.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just a reminder that there are 4 heroes and each one has 2 songs. While Joker, one character, has 10 songs spread across 3 games from Persona.

I'm pretty sure it's the composers. That said, while it's unlikely we'll get any of the Uematsu tracks (FF4 Boss theme, FF Fanfare/Victory, and FF Prelude), Shimomura is supposedly a lot easier to work with, so hopefully we would get more than 2.
I imagine it would be easier. Shimomura's been a good sport helping arrange many tracks for Smash over the years

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I imagine it would be easier. Shimomura's been a good sport helping arrange many tracks for Smash over the years
Unless Square actually does own the tracks as well, in which case we're ****ed. If it's just up to the composer though, it should be ggez.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Unless Square actually does own the tracks as well, in which case we're ****ed. If it's just up to the composer though, it should be ggez.
From what I understood, Yoko owns those tracks originally composed for Super Mario RPG, so I think we're okay

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's officially March. The way I see it, Nintendo has until the 20th to have a direct. After that we'd officially have no Nintendo games set to come out. All we'd have is one port with no release date. They like to do 1st half of the month directs, so I really think this week is it. I mean they can't really wait until E3. This year would be literally half over. Imagine Nintendo not releasing anything but a Wii U port a small time gba game remake and a delayed 2019 game for THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF THE YEAR! That's absolutely absurd. We have yet to see one new Nintendo game planned for 2020. They're reaching the deadline here. This week or next. It has to be.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's officially March. The way I see it, Nintendo has until the 20th to have a direct. After that we'd officially have no Nintendo games set to come out. All we'd have is one port with no release date. They like to do 1st half of the month directs, so I really think this week is it. I mean they can't really wait until E3. This year would be literally half over. Imagine Nintendo not releasing anything but a Wii U port a small time gba game remake and a delayed 2019 game for THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF THE YEAR! That's absolutely absurd. We have yet to see one new Nintendo game planned for 2020. They're reaching the deadline here. This week or next. It has to be.
My guess is no later than the week of the 10th since general directs usually don't come much later than the second week of the month.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
My guess is no later than the week of the 10th
I'm also in this boat, though I honestly think it'll be the 3rd, 9th (potentially if Geno is #6) or 10th. I just can't imagine them ignoring both the 3rd Switch Anniversary nor Mario Day. It has to be one of these three dates, and if it's not, shame on them.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
While I agree with you, I also know that Nintendo likes to be Nintendo. They do what they want when they want and y'all just eat it up eventually.

However, business wise it does make sense to have a general direct before E3. Will they? Logically, they have to have something to give us to chew on for a couple months, but I suppose they really could wait until E3.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If they dont do anythibg after the 20th, Id just assume they didnt have anything planned to show after Animal Crossing and AC was what they were mainly focused on
Animal crossing was meant to be a 2019 game though. There's no way they had literally nothing planned for the first half of 2020.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think this was answered before, but what do you guys think Geno's damage output would be for his moves?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

Well , yes , the 4 Heroes each got two tracks... But that's the thing , Enix allowed Sakurai to use 4 characters and have 8 music tracks total for a single fighter pack.
Compared to Sm4sh , where , despise Cloud having an advent children alt , we didn't get any OST from that movie. Only the FF7 And advent children design with two remixes.

But yes , otherwise , I agree. We're probably not getting any music related to Culex (heck , we would be lucky to have a Culex spirit...) and Yoko is more easy to work with overall. It's almost like , as a music composer , she understand that sharing music around the world is one of the best things you could do as a composer

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I don't think this was answered before, but what do you guys think Geno's damage output would be for his moves?
Mix of weak-but-fast hits (like Finger Shot, Hand Gun, Star Gun, basic melee attacks, etc) and strong-burst-but-slow hits (Geno Beam/Whirl, Hand Cannon, Double Punch, etc).

Well , yes , the 4 Heroes each got two tracks... But that's the thing , Enix allowed Sakurai to use 4 characters and have 8 music tracks total for a single fighter pack.
Compared to Sm4sh , where , despise Cloud having an advent children alt , we didn't get any OST from that movie. Only the FF7 And advent children design with two remixes.
But my point is that it's still 4 characters, each with 2 songs. No idea if it's Square or the composer(s), but one of the two are obviously being a ****.

But yes , otherwise , I agree. We're probably not getting any music related to Culex
Well yeah because the boss track is literally FF4's boss track (I think *slightly* remixed? It's the same song though), and the other two are the Victory/Fanfare and Prelude songs. Uematsu made those.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Geno Beam: Fully charged 30%. Charged a bit or more 15% or 20%.

Geno Blast: 40% if critically hit.

Geno Flash: Final Smash that would probably do like 35% or 45% damage.

Geno Whirl: Hit normally it does 10%. Hit critically it does 60%. It would top Ridley's Down Special by 1% more. Or 999% which would make Geno very broken if they did that.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well yeah because the boss track is literally FF4's boss track (I think *slightly* remixed? It's the same song though), and the other two are the Victory/Fanfare and Prelude songs. Uematsu made those.
Well , here's the two tracks , so if anyone can spot any difference between the two , tell me :

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Welp, if you look at stats in SMRPG it says it all...

With bonuses, Geno has the highest ATK in the game and without he is RIGHT behind Bowser. With bonuses he ties with Mallow for the highest SPATK in the game and without is RIGHT behind him. The only reason he falls off at all late game is because Mario gets the best weapon in the game, and he's still the fastest.

Thus, big damage, big range, really fast but light and dies early.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well , here's the two tracks , so if anyone can spot any difference between the two , tell me :
There's actually a lot more differences than I remember hearing them close together, but the base track is still obviously the same.

There is a slight difference, but for the most part it just sounds like the FF4 boss theme in the SMRPG engine.
Basically this. IMO though it sounds way better in the SMRPG version and I'm not just saying that out of nostalgia. The FF4 one sounds kinda suppressed(?) compared to the SMRPG one. Also that bass line is amazingly better on SMRPG. Sounds like someone went nuts in Mario Paint with the Heart sound effect. Don't get me wrong the FF4 one is fine, but it just sounds... muffled? Suppressed? I'm not sure what the right word to describe it is, compared to SMRPG.

Regardless, I highly doubt it'll get in with Geno. Unless they can nab a song from Uematsu for it, in which case, it would definitely be this one. They wouldn't pay for Fanfare when they already have a fanfare in the game (Cloud's victory theme, which they could also use for Geno?), and Prelude just makes no sense.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh my god...

I just realized that a remake of this game would mean a remake of both Hello, Happy Kingdom, Docaty Mountain Railroad and Shoppingi n Ripple Town/Seaside Town...

OMG, A REMAKE OF DO THE FOOKA-FOOKA~!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People ask me if my wife knows how much I like Smash and I wanted to share this story from yesterday.

I was in the kitchen making dinner and listening to Introspective's latest video on my phone when my wife walks around the corner and asks "would you want Waluigi and Geno in Smash if it meant giving away all your money?"

"No, dear, I wouldn't do that to you..."

"Oh, I'm so sure.~"

That's when Geno walks in and then jumps on the kitchen table (he does this when he's hungry). My wife sees him, gives him a few scratches, and then stretches him (all our cats like this except Olivia). She sets his front paws back down and then says "Okay, hear me out... What if Sakurai came over for dinner and then said 'that's a nice cat you got there...'"

"No, I would not give Sakurai Geno so I could have Geno and Waluigi in Smash; pretty sure they're coming anyways."

This ***** thinks I'm going to give up the Supreme Lad ™ to have Geno in Smash? Pure heresy, I say! In all seriousness, she weirdly gets it and likes when I tell her about various updates with Smash Ultimate.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh my god...

I just realized that a remake of this game would mean a remake of both Hello, Happy Kingdom, Docaty Mountain Railroad and Shoppingi n Ripple Town/Seaside Town...

OMG, A REMAKE OF DO THE FOOKA-FOOKA~!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~!
Don't get too excited though, expect less tracks than expected. I'm a big Banjo-Kazooie fan that was hoping for nice remixs of Hailfire Peaks, Witchy World, Jolly Roger's Lagoon, and Mad Monster Mansion and I only got a remix of Mad Monster Mansion and Mr. Patch's theme ripped from Tooie instead of a Witchy World remix.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Don't get too excited though, expect less tracks than expected. I'm a big Banjo-Kazooie fan that was hoping for nice remixs of Hailfire Peaks, Witchy World, Jolly Roger's Lagoon, and Mad Mansion and I only got a remix of Mad Monster Mansion and Mr. Patch's theme ripped from Tooie instead of a Witchy World remix.
You mistake me.

I'm referring to a SMRPG remake, not Geno in Smash.

I still feel like a Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie remake is on the horizon though. Microsoft would be fools not to. Would definitely sell that Series Joke looking thing.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

It can just boil down to the composter. FE got all those songs because a developer wanted them and did extra work.

The weird thing with Final Fantasy is that the songs are rips from VII, but Cloud's victory theme is not a rip, instead being remixed slightly (which is sad as VII's victory is my favorite version of the series song so I wanted it to be direct). I wonder why the victory is not the original, and we know that 3rd party victories don't have to be altered in Smash such as Sonic and Joker.

MattX20

Smash Hero
People ask me if my wife knows how much I like Smash and I wanted to share this story from yesterday.

I was in the kitchen making dinner and listening to Introspective's latest video on my phone when my wife walks around the corner and asks "would you want Waluigi and Geno in Smash if it meant giving away all your money?"

"No, dear, I wouldn't do that to you..."

"Oh, I'm so sure.~"

That's when Geno walks in and then jumps on the kitchen table (he does this when he's hungry). My wife sees him, gives him a few scratches, and then stretches him (all our cats like this except Olivia). She sets his front paws back down and then says "Okay, hear me out... What if Sakurai came over for dinner and then said 'that's a nice cat you got there...'"

"No, I would not give Sakurai Geno so I could have Geno and Waluigi in Smash; pretty sure they're coming anyways."

This ***** thinks I'm going to give up the Supreme Lad ™ to have Geno in Smash? Pure heresy, I say! In all seriousness, she weirdly gets it and likes when I tell her about various updates with Smash Ultimate.
What if there is art of Geno with cats?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I'd say generally his projectiles and neutral attacks would be relatively low damage but would have some timed hits and close quarters attacks that would deal moderate to high amounts. I imagine Geno being an insanely agile and combo-heavy fighter so the low damage would basically be moot because of how quickly he could chain attacks together for mondo damage.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'd say generally his projectiles and neutral attacks would be relatively low damage but would have some timed hits and close quarters attacks that would deal moderate to high amounts. I imagine Geno being an insanely agile and combo-heavy fighter so the low damage would basically be moot because of how quickly he could chain attacks together for mondo damage.
Yeah, I can see that. It makes sense

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You said ***** tho?

Margarie Margarita remaster, hot DAYUM. So many amazing tracks I'd love to hear remasters of, though I'm sure some of them would sound way worse not being on the SNES. The FF4/Culex theme would likely be one of them.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, if Geno showed up in Ultimate, what Mario spinoffs do you want to see him appear in should Square allow it, Kart, sports, or the Party series first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom