• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Polar, I have had insomnia for several years back due to severe PTSD. It¨s soon 9 am here in Sweden and I¨ve still not managed to fall asleep, so don¨t you worry.

Correct me if I¨m wrong, but weren¨t there 2 Undertale songs that they put down?
I think they were both fan remixes/reuploaded remixes of Megalovania made for Smash.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Polar, I have had insomnia for several years back due to severe PTSD. It¨s soon 9 am here in Sweden and I¨ve still not managed to fall asleep, so don¨t you worry.
It's the worst. I've been like this for as long as I could remember. Had to take sleeping meds (that didn't really work) just so I could go to sleep at a decent hour and wake up for school as a kid. Didn't stop me from waking up hours earlier and going to the family room to play Star Fox 64... or other games I don't remember at this time (I just vividly remember getting Star Fox 64 and waking up super early before school to play it more, haha).

Correct me if I¨m wrong, but weren¨t there 2 Undertale songs that they put down?
IIRC it was just a MEGALOVANIA remix. (edit: May have been multiple videos, but they were just MEGALOVANIA remixes?)

Edit edit: Also can someone tell me if it's just me and I'm crazy, or if any of my post on that previous page made sense?

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
PS: If this actually ends up being the case, I'm gonna be both ecstatic we're getting Geno, but really sad we're only getting 2 songs. Two great songs, sure, but I'd have killed for ~8-10 with potentially some remixes.
I think we'll be getting only 2 songs from SMRPG but we'll probably get more songs from a series like Paper Mario to make up for it (easier for Nintendo, seeing as how they own the rights). It could even be a nice little fact for Sakurai to bring up in the character presentation "Paper Mario was originally conceived as a sequel to Super Mario RPG but the development plan changed overtime leading for it to become something unique"

MattX20

Smash Hero
Don't let this distract you from the fact that this man took a huge dump publicly on the Waluigi fan base in this thread.

No getting back on track until you openly hold the L for your comment on Waluigi.

I love you dude, but you pulled a similar stunt to what SSGuy pulled in regards to the Sora fanbase and he had to hold his L more than once.

Now it's your turn. Admit you overstepped.

As for that video and their discussion, really seems like just regular speculation to me. Sure, he may have a bit of knowledge on of some inner workings to support his narrative, but I doubt he currently knows what is going on at all. Once again, here is everyone freaking out over a bit of new info that really leads us no where new but people are flip-flopping yet again. Please, for the love of god, WAIT FOR ACTUAL INFORMATION!

Even with someone like Sabi or Vergeben, with as much as I feel like they are becoming more and more irrelevant, they have more to offer than this guy. If the words of a director in the company of Square didn't sway you (which it shouldn't, in all honesty) then this doesn't even matter and shouldn't be a blip on the radar, but everyone is so obsessed with Smash that they act like ravenous fiends to every single bit of Smash anything that comes out.

So, to sum up today's thoughts:
  1. Sora is still a real possibility and not a single thing has come out to damn his chances.
  2. Doomguy being less likely doesn't kill or even hurt CacoMallow because either another Bethesda rep or just random costumes (Ubisoft anyone?) can happen.
  3. Geno doesn't share any traits with characters who have gotten "Premium Mii Costumes" and Square is the kind of company to just plug in the same costume for more money rather than give rights for a new one. We either get the old costumes, playable Geno, or nothing.
  4. You all seemingly missed when that mod pointed out recent developments in how Disney handles their licenses and video games. Important food for thought I would say.
  5. The Altair information in PapaGenos's video is the most interesting ACTUAL Smash info to come out recently. That's a lot of work and content for just some Mii costume...
  6. I think you all are sleeping on Ryu Hayabusa.
Very well, I apologize for my comments about Waluigi.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think we'll be getting only 2 songs from SMRPG but we'll probably get more songs from a series like Paper Mario to make up for it (easier for Nintendo, seeing as how they own the rights). It could even be a nice little fact for Sakurai to bring up in the character presentation "Paper Mario was originally conceived as a sequel to Super Mario RPG but the development plan changed overtime leading for it to become something unique"
I really could see Sakurai going in on the history of SMRPG and the Mario rpg series as a whole like he did for fatal fury and fire emblem.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Any time one of these insiders makes guesses they are wrong and send us on wild goose chases. They should stick to facts that they know

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I really could see Sakurai going in on the history of SMRPG and the Mario rpg series as a whole like he did for fatal fury and fire emblem.
That’d be so cool. Paper Mario was originally a sequel to SMRPG and the staff that made Mario & Luigi was partially made up of people who worked on SMRPG. And if we can only get two SMRPG songs I’d LOVE some more music from other Mario RPGs to fill it out. Rogueport main theme and Superstar Saga battle theme plz

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Any time one of these insiders makes guesses they are wrong and send us on wild goose chases. They should stick to facts that they know
This guy is an actual insider and actually knows his stuff, unlike Sabi and Vergeben. He was one of the first people to disagree with the Grinch Leak. I'd treat him as much as Shinobi.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
If we are getting a Mii Costume, please let it be a Sans/Cuphead styled one. It would still burn, but at least it would look like him and it would come with some SMRPG
If I can't do a geno beam and a geno blast, it just won't be enough. The costume was great for sm4sh, but I just can't settle for similar this time around

OffBi

Smash Ace
This might be not so related to geno all that much, but today is my birthday.
I'm 18 now.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm 18 now.
Happy birthday, OffBi! If only Geno was revealed for Smash today, that’d make your birthday better, wouldn’t it?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hated how they handled Ridley's reveal in 4. Pointless secrecy is one of my annoyance buttons. Don't drag your feet on revealing something if there is literally no difference between the hint and the reveal. Like how they hid the face of the bad guy in Tropical Freeze, only to show him later and there was no surprising aspect to hide. They could have shown him at the start and everything would have played out the same. But Ridley's reveal was even worse. Don't dance around and make a mystery when a mystery doesn't have to exist in the first place .
Exactly! It's sad when Nintendo doesn't pay attention to the fans when they think some character is coming with a tease like this. It's better to just tear the bandage off asap if they know the fans are expecting more than what they're going to get.

I don't think Nintendo will be number 6. There hasn't been a new FE game announced.

:4pacman:
You got to remember, Roy debuted in Melee before his freaking game even came out and Corrin's game wasn't even out yet in the States when Corrin was release as DLC in Smash 4. Nintendo and Sakurai will get a Fire Emblem newcomer in each Smash game no matter what rules they break lol!

Edit: Happy birthday OffBi OffBi you're officially an adult now. :seuss:

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Ayyy happy birthday!!! I hope you have a nice day :colorful:
Exactly! It's sad when Nintendo doesn't pay attention to the fans when they think some character is coming with a tease like this. It's better to just tear the bandage off asap if they know the fans are expecting more than what they're going to get.

You got to remember, Roy debuted in Melee before his freaking game even came out and Corrin's game wasn't even out yet in the States when Corrin was release as DLC in Smash 4. Nintendo and Sakurai will get a Fire Emblem newcomer in each Smash game no matter what rules they break lol!

Edit: Happy birthday OffBi OffBi you're officially an adult now. :seuss:
Happy Birthday! I always assumed you were much older due to you being a skeleton and all.
Thanks my dudes

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I hated how they handled Ridley's reveal in 4. Pointless secrecy is one of my annoyance buttons. Don't drag your feet on revealing something if there is literally no difference between the hint and the reveal. Like how they hid the face of the bad guy in Tropical Freeze, only to show him later and there was no surprising aspect to hide. They could have shown him at the start and everything would have played out the same. But Ridley's reveal was even worse. Don't dance around and make a mystery when a mystery doesn't have to exist in the first place .
You just said a potential reason on why we haven¨t seen the costume (if he isn¨t a fighter that is):urg:

It is said that Sakurai wanted Leif from Thracia 776 but Intelligent System managed to convince him to use Roy instead

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I'm 18 now.
Happy birthday. I myself turned 18 this year, and I can tell you that life may become harder, but It will be cool for sure.

Firox

Smash Master
If I can't do a geno beam and a geno blast, it just won't be enough. The costume was great for sm4sh, but I just can't settle for similar this time around
Imma be frank, I honestly don't see Geno getting the Sans/Cuphead treatment with an upgraded costume. Why? Because the old mii costume already exists. There is no precedent for them adding a ton of additional value to anything that already existed. Just look at the AT's and Pokeball Pokemon. They barely changed, if at all, from Sm4sh. If they really care about Geno, he'll become a fighter. If they really don't, he'll return as the pre-existing mii costume. I honestly don't feel that Sakurai would think an upgraded Mii costume will be enough to appease the long time fans (and he would be right). That said, if Geno actually DID end up as an upgraded Mii costume, I'd call that game over. It would show once and for all that Geno is close, but no cigar. It would show that for whatever reason, the powers that be refused to put him in. Fortunately, for now, the signs are pointing to Geno getting in for real.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Thats why I said give us a Cuphead/Sans styled one if we have to settle with that. At least he would look like Geno then.
I'm referring to the costume upgrade. I mean it was easy enough to get close with the original costume. I'm talking moveset. For me, it's as much about getting to use those cool moves as it is having something that looks like geno. I'd probably still buy an upgraded costume, but I don't consider it a terribly substantial upgrade over the sm4sh costume.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Really sorry if anything is worded extra stupid, it's 2:40 AM and I'm not fully lucid; typing this partially asleep and it might sound crazy/paranoid a bit, but hear me out...

... oh... ****. This just reminded me... Hey guys, remember when 2 SMRPG songs (Forest Maze and Smithy Boss) were copyright taken down last year? If premium Mii costumes come with 1 song, and all SE characters come with 2 (Hero x4 = 2 x4 songs)... well...

I feel like some of us may have forgotten about this since Geno didn't get in FP1. Well, if they were taken down for Geno to become playable, wouldn't they have taken them down pretty much when they decided on Geno getting in FP2? That would make sense if it was back around E3. Don't have the exact dates of the takedowns, but according to a PapaGenos video posted on July 13th, the songs were up as late as May 15th. I totally forgot about these copyrights until now.

Let's also not forget that MEGALOVANIA was taken down by Nintendo sometime around late November/early December (2018), which ultimately led to the Sans premium Mii costume coming alongside Banjo, shown off September 4th the next year (about 9 months later). While characters take more time than Mii costumes, I'm sure, could this mean we might be seeing a bit of a confirmation on Geno? I doubt he'll be revealed 9 months later (~middle of March) like a Mii costume, but, and this is a stretch of a but, what if it does take around 9~10 months? April's been predicted as DLC 6's release since it's got a nice gap between both a Feb reveal and a June E3 reveal; what if Geno actually is DLC 6?

But yeah, like I said at the top, not very lucid, very tired, but it just kinda hit me when I read Icewolff's post. Hopefully this wiill make sense tomorrow when I wake up and I won't look like a paranoid crazy person, but yeah, just some food for thought. Even if he isn't DLC 6, why did the two songs get taken down, by Nintendo no less, the same exact thing that happened to MEGALOVANIA before Sans got a costume 9 months later? There has to be a reason for it.

PS: If this actually ends up being the case, I'm gonna be both ecstatic we're getting Geno, but really sad we're only getting 2 songs. Two great songs, sure, but I'd have killed for ~8-10 with potentially some remixes.
Adding on to this, we've recently learned that talks to get Banjo & Kazooie into Smash began during E3 2018, and of course they were revealed about one year later at the following E3. From what we've heard, talks for Vol.2 began really early in 2019, and wrapped up sometime after E3. Geno's Costume was found to have been missing in late July with Hero's release, so that means the descision to not include it would've had to have been decided around mid-late June, around when the Hero presentation was most likely recorded (they're usually recorded about a month or so out from their airing) and right after the Banjo reveal.

So imagine this timeline: Vol.2 talks begin in early 2019, Banjo is revealed during the E3 Direct to thunderous appaluse, Nintendo sees the potential revenue and wants to do that again next year so they decide to include another character akin to Banjo, ie. a NEVER EVER pick. Geno is chosen, music takedowns happen, and the Mii Costume is missing because it'd be reduntant.

As we've seen with Byleth, if a character's stage is from an existing universe, they'll let you use that universe's music tracks on it no problem. Since Geno is technically a Mario Character, I could imagine they'd do that same thing for his stage, allowing players to pick from all of the existing Mario music tracks in addition to the couple new tracks. I also think it'd be possible for them to include more than just two tracks from SMRPG provided those are the ones composed by Koji Kondo, which they own.

I'm 18 now.
Wait, really?! I had no idea! You know what this means, don'tcha?
MeAndTheBoysCelebratingOffBi's18thBirthday.png

Polarthief

Smash Lord
After finally getting 5 hours of sleep... -_- First off, happy birthday, Offbi!

Hey guys, remember when 2 SMRPG songs (Forest Maze and Smithy Boss) were copyright taken down last year? If premium Mii costumes come with 1 song, and all SE characters come with 2 (Hero x4 = 2 x4 songs)... well...
I'd like to bring this back up because after sleeping on it and having a (slightly more) awake brain, this still made a lot of sense. What are your guys's thoughts on it?

Do I think Geno is DLC 6? Potentially. Probably not, but still potentially, but I think the important takeaway here is that Nintendo explicitly took down 2 songs, which so far both Cloud and (each) Hero has going for them. If they only took down Beware the Forest Mushrooms, I think it'd be a lot more cause for concern regarding the potential Mii costume upgrade, but not only was that so far only used for popular indies, but they've both come with a single song each.

At this point, I can all but guarantee that we're getting a premium Mii costume with both tracks (Beware the Forest Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Monster), or Geno is confirmed. There is no middle-ground anymore, unless they copyright took down those tracks for another reason I can't think of.

So imagine this timeline: Vol.2 talks begin in early 2019, Banjo is revealed during the E3 Direct to thunderous appaluse, Nintendo sees the potential revenue and wants to do that again next year so they decide to include another character akin to Banjo, ie. a NEVER EVER pick. Geno is chosen, music takedowns happen, and the Mii Costume is missing because it'd be reduntant.
Exactly! Man, I should be half-awake more often.

Awww shiiiet, I got into a meme!

As we've seen with Byleth, if a character's stage is from an existing universe, they'll let you use that universe's music tracks on it no problem. Since Geno is technically a Mario Character, I could imagine they'd do that same thing for his stage, allowing players to pick from all of the existing Mario music tracks in addition to the couple new tracks. I also think it'd be possible for them to include more than just two tracks from SMRPG provided those are the ones composed by Koji Kondo, which they own.
Huge HUGE bonus points if they pull in more tracks. I would kill to see that happening. Could always pull from PM too since SMRPG is technically Paper Mario 0 (or "Paper Mario Beginnings", if I wanted to go all Earthbound on it).

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This guy is an actual insider and actually knows his stuff, unlike Sabi and Vergeben. He was one of the first people to disagree with the Grinch Leak. I'd treat him as much as Shinobi.
Call me crazy, but he said “tomorrow will be rough for Geno” and it wasn’t whatsoever. He was flat out wrong so it was clearly an incorrect assumption that he made and not fact based. If anything it was incredible that we got another indie premium costume and no sign of the Geno one. So he was very clearly making some type of incorrect assumption. So no, we shouldn’t hang on EVERY word he says. Just the facts.

Have some conviction Genoids.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Call me crazy, but he said “tomorrow will be rough for Geno” and it wasn’t whatsoever. He was flat out wrong so it was clearly an incorrect assumption that he made and not fact based. If anything it was incredible that we got another indie premium costume and no sign of the Geno one. So he was very clearly making some type of incorrect assumption. So no, we shouldn’t hang on EVERY word he says. Just the facts.

I'm like 90% sure hes refering to Imran, not the costume leaker.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord

After my half-asleep revelation, I'm even more convinced that it was an assumption for lord knows what reason.

But like I said yesterday, if even a 0.0000000(etc)1% chance of him not getting in is a possibility, I'll never be 100% til I see that splash screen. The pessimist in me knows better than to be blindly hopeful.

D

Deleted member

I would like to point out on the music takedowns that if I recall correctly, there was a San Andreas track taken by Nintendo so the takedowns maybe 50/50 at least.
I'm 18 now.
happy birthday mate!

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Guys I just made a really obvious connection that's prolly already been made but I'll say it anyway because I wanna. Remember when 3 Houses got no spirits despite that breaking the norm where new releases typically get spirit events? We know now that it was because Byleth was planned and they just simply waited because they wanted to avoid overlap where they easily could have. This is exactly like the situation with the Geno costume, they didn't include him because they had future plans for him being a fighter and didn't put the costume in to avoid overlap where they easily could.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I would like to point out on the music takedowns that if I recall correctly, there was a San Andreas track taken by Nintendo so the takedowns maybe 50/50 at least.
A GTA rep which would never be added vs a HIGHLY requested rep since Melee whose costume is still mysteriously missing after a SE DLC pack.

Out of curiosity, when was the GTA song taken down?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
After my half-asleep revelation, I'm even more convinced that it was an assumption for lord knows what reason.

But like I said yesterday, if even a 0.0000000(etc)1% chance of him not getting in is a possibility, I'll never be 100% til I see that splash screen. The pessimist in me knows better than to be blindly hopeful.
that’s healthy. I am not anywhere near 100% certain myself and I wouldn’t call anyone who isn’t a pessimist. The pessimists are the ones who ignore glaring signs that are there. And some are just trolls or fans of other characters who have nothing better to do but frequent a support thread for a character that makes them seethe.

I’m probably sitting at Geno being 75% likely. Has a ton in his favor but wouldn’t ever be shocked to get BTFO again

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Then again, we've definitely seen a uptick in people thinking that Geno will most likely be relegated to an upgraded Mii Costume, which is a pretty demoralizing prospect. So while he wasn't right about how demoralized we'd be over this, he's not entirely wrong in his assessment either.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

I was talking about Imran, not the costume leaker. I assumed you was talking about Imran too.

D

Deleted member

Just the name San Andreas. The comment section implied the track got claimed by Nintendo.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Guys I just made a really obvious connection that's prolly already been made but I'll say it anyway because I wanna. Remember when 3 Houses got no spirits despite that breaking the norm where new releases typically get spirit events? We know now that it was because Byleth was planned and they just simply waited because they wanted to avoid overlap where they easily could have. This is exactly like the situation with the Geno costume, they didn't include him because they had future plans for him being a fighter and didn't put the costume in to avoid overlap where they easily could.
That would make sense to do. If they had intended to have Geno just be a Mii costume only, the costume and the Chocobo hat would've been in the Mii Fighter costume wave with the DQ heroes and that would be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom