• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh, me too. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the possibility is all. The fact that Geno wasn't on the mii costume list but Mallow, Smithy, and Chocobo were points to Geno being playable.

Was Sans on that leaked list? I don't remember.

Edit: I guess Sans wasn't on the list, even though the rest of the costumes that came with Banjo were. Hmm.
I don't think Sans was leaked on the list, if this is the kind of list we are talking about, the one associated with PapaGenos.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I don't think Sans was leaked on the list, if this is the kind of list we are talking about, the one associated with PapaGenos.
Yeah, he wasn't. But Sans might have been decided on later, unless the leaker just didn't know about upgraded costumes.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
If @Fatmanonice is correct about Nintendo getting pissed over the Grinch leak because they knew what they actually had in that November Direct wouldn't even come close to delivering on the hype, then I hope that they and Sakurai have learned their lesson by now, and that the absence of the Geno costume up to now means that he's finally gonna be playable.

... keywords being "I hope".
Two words dispel that notion.
Fire Emblem.

I'm with you, I really hope they learned from the grinch leak backlash, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket on a good day.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Of course, Doomguy might not be in after the recent interview, but I also think that Cacomallow shouldn’t be completely ruled out just yet.
The best thing is that CacoMallow never showed off any NEW fighters. We could just be getting Cacodemon hat and nothing more. The scary thing is that leak might also be hinting at Geno Mii costume coming back too. They specifically showed off two non-playable characters.

Also if Geno does get shunted to costume this late, I will be very upset with that, but ultimately, we did get Banjo and plenty of other greats. Just seems like a ****ty end if that ends up happening, his costume dodging ALL of FP1 and even Hero's pack... like it would feel bad if it just randomly showed up in FP2.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I do hope Geno does not become a Mii Costume again.

If @Fatmanonice is correct about Nintendo getting pissed over the Grinch leak because they knew what they actually had in that November Direct wouldn't even come close to delivering on the hype, then I hope that they and Sakurai have learned their lesson by now, and that the absence of the Geno costume up to now means that he's finally gonna be playable.

Speaking of the Grinch leak, I do think if anyone from Nintendo and Sakurai paid attention to it at all, I think this will affect their future plans on future Smash games in a good way. In other words, whoever made the Grinch leak not only trolled others and made them mad, but if Nintendo saw the leak at all, the one who made the leak actually helped with future Smash games by showing Nintendo and Sakurai what the fans wanted so they can add what they can in a future Smash game and make better picks, you know what I mean?

link2702

Smash Champion
I haven’t been able to keep up with stuff lately, what is this about Nintendo “trying to” get sora? Also a recap in general?

Last edited:

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
So from what it seems like based of Papagenos video, FP6 seems split down the middle with Hayabusa and Crash. Kind of rooting for Crash since if he's in then the mii costume list may have actually been real, which means Geno may have a chance, and Crash is a massively requested character which could alude that Geno has an even bigger chance since the FP pass could be based on fan favorites. But really it's split down the middle, those are just the two that seem to be popping right now.

Let's go Crash
Honestly it's looking like we'll be getting both of them, in conjunction with Geno

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
After watching the conversation with Imran again, it actually sounded like Master Chief and Sora were just speculation, with him hearing Nintendo has talked to Disney of Japan about Sora in Smash but only speculating they may not allow them to use him, and he still thought we could get either him or Chief (one or the other situation), showing he didn’t know for sure. He didn’t say anything about Chief aside from thinking he’d be hype and could get in without Sora; the rest was from the other dudes, who seemed to just be speculating.

If Sora gets in, though, I don’t think he’ll be competition for Geno. It sounded like they wouldn’t even have to work with SE to use him, Sakurai would probably only talk to Nomura since he created Sora. It’s likely both could get in.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
This was from Papagenos new video that he uploaded today from a user in support of Cacomallow.
View attachment 261306
Personally, this post just takes the words right out of my mouth. Just because it’s been three months since the leak surfaced doesn’t mean it’s fake, as it has been shown time and time again that the presentations are recorded a month or two prior, which means that Miis are very likely done by then. Of course, Doomguy might not be in after the recent interview, but I also think that Cacomallow shouldn’t be completely ruled out just yet.
Basically what I've been saying for a while now. DLC isn't made sequentially, but whenever they can manage it, which is typically pretty early in the production process. The CacoMallow items being potentially made months beforehand isn't unusual whatsoever.

D

Deleted member

One thing has me a bit worried in Papa's new video. The mii costume leak person had sent him that message about the possibility of Geno just being an upgraded mii costume.

https://youtu.be/PXG2lQamO40?t=1345
If the Mii costume guy got Mallow and Smithy costumes right, how could they not hear Geno if he was still a costume all along even though if it’s an upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
If the Mii costume guy got Mallow and Smithy costumes right, how could they not hear Geno if he was still a costume all along even though if it’s an upgrade?
Sadly I have an explanation for this, he didn't guess sans nor Cuphead, so perhaps he didn't hear about Geno Mii Costume cuz he's coming with a song.

I don't think so tho, I know the boy's coming.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Two words dispel that notion.
Fire Emblem.

I'm with you, I really hope they learned from the grinch leak backlash, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket on a good day.
Byleth was probably decided before the Grinch Leak and November Direct still.

The best thing is that CacoMallow never showed off any NEW fighters. We could just be getting Cacodemon hat and nothing more. The scary thing is that leak might also be hinting at Geno Mii costume coming back too. They specifically showed off two non-playable characters.
Whoever leaked it probably had no access to playable characters. They probably fragment things and keep actual characters under better wraps than Mii Costumes.
Yeah, he wasn't. But Sans might have been decided on later, unless the leaker just didn't know about upgraded costumes.
I feel like even if Geno was upgraded, the leaker probably would've found out. Like, he knew about Mallow and Smithy which are from the same series, so obviously a "premium Mii costume" would've been decided along with them from the get go. Source also did know about Cuphead before hand, so he clearly still knows about premium costumes in advance.

D

Deleted member

After watching the conversation with Imran again, it actually sounded like Master Chief and Sora were just speculation, with him hearing Nintendo has talked to Disney of Japan about Sora in Smash but only speculating they may not allow them to use him, and he still thought we could get either him or Chief (one or the other situation), showing he didn’t know for sure. He didn’t say anything about Chief aside from thinking he’d be hype and could get in without Sora; the rest was from the other dudes, who seemed to just be speculating.

If Sora gets in, though, I don’t think he’ll be competition for Geno. It sounded like they wouldn’t even have to work with SE to use him, Sakurai would probably only talk to Nomura since he created Sora. It’s likely both could get in.
I just don’t see it happening. Nintendo may see Sora a character to represent SE besides the ownership with Disney. Going off with the 6 fighters. Crash, Dante, and a Namco rep seems extremely likely. Master Chief is Microsoft’s mascot and MCC to the Switch would be Nintendo and Microsoft getting closer than ever. He would be the biggest “Holy ****” character in Smash history surpassing Sonic. He would definitely garner more hype, publicity, and make people buy Switches. Halo is way more iconic than KH except in Japan. Waluigi looks a lot more realistic despite his assist trophy status for the fan demand. Nintendo can force Sakurai whether he’s on board or not. There is a possibility Waluigi is still not playable all along. There goes one. Geno is a character in insider circles and for Sora, a prominent industry insider confirms that Nintendo approached Disney. There is a reason why Nintendo may want to go after Sora first. From a business perspective, Sora makes more sense. Sora would gain more publicity than Geno, fan service pick, and would make people legit buy a copy of Smash Ultimate and a Switch. 3 birds in one stone. Fan satisfaction, publicity, and business. Geno doesn’t have that. It’s 100% possible that negotiations fall through or maybe Nintendo may go extra lengths just to get Sora. I’m sorry, but I think one of them is not gonna make it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Tbh I think it’s weird that the guy who leaked the SMRPG costumes is now being weird about Geno. But if you watch the video you see he didn’t actually know whether he was getting mii’d only assuming he will because of Cuphead. But we also know about that long list of rejected characters that Fatman has which at this point seems to be what future upgraded mii costumes will be. Something to note too is that Sans and Cuphead are indie characters. That may be something explicitly saved for that subset of popular characters that for whatever reason Nintendo didn’t want to make playable. Also imo if Geno was getting mii’d someone would have heard about it by now especially considering the SMRPG mii costumes and the cacomallow leak.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
For me there is no reason to believe Geno is returning as a costume; not even as an upgraded costume. If they had the intention for that costume to return, they would already have dropped it. Believe it or not, Geno is 100% becoming playable. They aren’t there waiting for the final character to say: “oh yes, here it’s your costume back, take it”. Sans and Cuphead already took the place of what Geno was in WiiU.

Geno has been on the top polls since Melee; he is probably the most requested character by now; he is such a perfect addition being the only 3rd Party character from a 1st Party world; his moveset is perfect, and they can make it even more perfect and fun with the timed hits; his design is so unique; every other FanPick has already made it in previous Smash and moreover in Ultimate; he even has a victory theme, battle theme, iconic song, taunts, everything already on the table from his game; and maybe the copyrighted songs, it all adds up.

They acknowledge Geno, even Sakurai himself. I don’t care if Sora would bring up more money or if other characters are more famous. At this point and given the character’s history and demand, you can’t call Ultimate without Geno in there. The game is already epic and it has the best roster and picks ever, but man this isn’t only about a beautiful puppet, this is iconic and emblematic because the link Square & Nintendo did more than 2 decades ago when they needed Mario World to put Square in the west.

This isn’t only about the most beautiful puppet ever; this is History speaking, claiming for justice. Geno it’s the bridge between Square, RPG, Nintendo, the East, the West, 24 years and the nostalgia and feelings of children who played this with SIX YEARS old back in 1996.

I would like to express myself better but I’m not English-native.

(Please credits to the artists of the photos).

EFC6BA42-C098-43D9-ACB0-31356A3FA17A.jpeg

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I just don’t see it happening. Nintendo may see Sora a character to represent SE besides the ownership with Disney. Going off with the 6 fighters. Crash, Dante, and a Namco rep seems extremely likely. Master Chief is Microsoft’s mascot and MCC to the Switch would be Nintendo and Microsoft getting closer than ever. He would be the biggest “Holy ****” character in Smash history surpassing Sonic. He would definitely garner more hype, publicity, and make people buy Switches. Halo is way more iconic than KH except in Japan. Waluigi looks a lot more realistic despite his assist trophy status for the fan demand. Nintendo can force Sakurai whether he’s on board or not. There is a possibility Waluigi is still not playable all along. There goes one. Geno is a character in insider circles and for Sora, a prominent industry insider confirms that Nintendo approached Disney. From a business perspective, Sora makes more sense. Sora would gain more publicity than Geno, fan service pick, and would make people legit buy a copy of Smash Ultimate and a Switch. 3 birds in one stone. Fan satisfaction, publicity, and business. Geno doesn’t have that. It’s 100% possible that negotiations fall through or maybe Nintendo may go extra lengths just to get Sora. I’m sorry, but I think one of them is not gonna make it.
Geno’s chances are probably fine or at least where they have always been. It’s literally just an IP they hold in order to make money off of from Nintendo.
Im leaning toward a mii costume for him though. I Wouldnt be surprised if he actually inspired the idea of premium mii costumes.

D

Deleted member

Geno’s chances are probably fine or at least where they have always been. It’s literally just an IP they hold in order to make money off of from Nintendo.
Im leaning toward a mii costume for him though. I Wouldnt be surprised if he actually inspired the idea of premium mii costumes.
I think Geno’s chances are better than ever. I definitely think Geno and Sora are not happening at the same pass.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
For me there is no reason to believe Geno is returning as a costume; not even as an upgraded costume. If they had the intention for that costume to return, they would already have dropped it. Believe it or not, Geno is 100% becoming playable. They aren’t there waiting for the final character to say: “oh yes, here it’s your costume back, take it”. Sans and Cuphead already took the place of what Geno was in WiiU.

Geno has been on the top polls since Melee; he is probably the most requested character by now; he is such a perfect addition being the only 3rd Party character from a 1st Party world; his moveset is perfect, and they can make it even more perfect and fun with the timed hits; his design is so unique; every other FanPick has already made it in previous Smash and moreover in Ultimate; he even has a victory theme, battle theme, iconic song, taunts, everything already on the table from his game; and maybe the copyrighted songs, it all adds up.

They acknowledge Geno, even Sakurai himself. I don’t care if Sora would bring up more money or if other characters are more famous. At this point and given the character’s history and demand, you can’t call Ultimate without Geno in there. The game is already epic and it has the best roster and picks ever, but man this isn’t only about a beautiful puppet, this is iconic and emblematic because the link Square & Nintendo did more than 2 decades ago when they needed Mario World to put Square in the west.

This isn’t only about the most beautiful puppet ever; this is History speaking, claiming for justice. Geno it’s the bridge between Square, RPG, Nintendo, the East, the West, 24 years and the nostalgia and feelings of children who played this with SIX YEARS old back in 1996.

I would like to express myself better but I’m not English-native.

(Please credits to the artists of the photos).

View attachment 261318
This gave me the Geno boost i needed today Thank you :)

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Tbh I think it’s weird that the guy who leaked the SMRPG costumes is now being weird about Geno. But if you watch the video you see he didn’t actually know whether he was getting mii’d only assuming he will because of Cuphead. But we also know about that long list of rejected characters that Fatman has which seems at this point seems to be what future upgraded mii costumes will be. Something to note too is that Sans and Cuphead are indie characters. That may be something explicitly saved for that subset of popular characters that for whatever reason Nintendo didn’t want to make playable. Also imo if Geno was getting mii’d someone would have heard about it by now especially considering the SMRPG mii costumes and the cacomallow leak.
I feel like Mii Guy's main source probably only knows about smaller things like Mii Costumes and spirits. It seems to be what he gets right most of the time and it would make sense given what we know about how play testing and whatnot works.
Or maybe Geno was planned all along and we`re worrying about nothing
Geno was actually never real, it was all a dream.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
The idea is that since Geno was being upgraded to "Deluxe Mii Costume" status a la Sans and Cuphead, it was kept even more under wraps than usual. I don't buy that for several reasons. Firstly, the Undertale content was known about for some time before the Sans costume was released, with some lucky few having even obtained the MEGALOVANIA remix, and the Cuphead costume was also known about since at least October 22nd based on what Papa Genos said regarding that one guy who contacted him. If Geno were to have been in developmentas a costume, you would've figured something would've leaked out by now.

Second, SquareEnix seems to really like segregating their own content from other IPs. Geno's Costume and the Chocobo Hat came with Cloud, and the Dragon Quest costumes came with Hero. No content from other IPs came with them, they were on their own. SquareEnix stuff comes alongside SquareEnix stuff, so if Geno really was upgraded to "Deluxe Mii Costume" status, that would mean he'd have to drop alongside another SquareEnix character. And I'm not gonna lie, I really don't think any of the other SE picks really hold a candle to Geno:
  • 2B is pretty popular and has a hit game to her name, as well as enough weaponry to give herself a decently creative moveset, but as much as people like to downplay it, her design really isn't suitable for good little boys and girls of all ages. "B-but Bayonetta though!" Bayonetta is entirely clothed most of the time, all they needed to do was tone down how much of it gets removed when she attackes. 2B runs around in a unitard which, unlike the dresses of other female characters, can't be covered up with a big "**** you" shadow. The best they could do is give her modesty shorts, but even then it might not be enough, since they couldn't do that with Mai.
  • Lara Croft is a pretty significant character from a historical standpoint, and unlike 2B doesn't have an overtly lewd body that isn't suitable for good little boys and girls of all ages. However, she rarely if ever gets brought up when it comes to newcomers people really want to see which, while it isn't a dealbreaker, is definitely something to consider. I also worry about her moveset potential. A lot of people think you can just slap a moveset on someone and call it a day, but as we've seen with most other fighters, especially the DLC ones, you have to bring something that would really set you apart from others, and I don't feel that her uzis or bows would be enough to do that.
  • Another Final Fantasy character seems pretty unlikely to me, given how much they had to go through to get Cloud back for Ultimate. But aside from that, nobody from the Final Fantasy series aside from him really match his level of popularity. Tifa, Sephiroth, Terra, Lightning, none of them really compare.
  • And everyone else from SquareEnix either aren't as highly demanded or aren't all that interesting to get into Smash, so it's not really even worth considering. I mean, does anyone out there really think that Gex has a better shot at getting in Smash than Geno?
Third, given what we've heard regarding the the alleged Mallow and Smithy costumes, why the hell would they even include those if they were giving Geno the "Deluxe Mii Costume" treatment? Wouldn't that kind of make Geno's spiffy new costume kind of redundant? That'd be like if, when they included the Cuphead "Deluxe Mii Costume", they added a King Dice hat and a Devil costume to go along with it. Kind of ruins the novelty, don't you think? And when has a fighter ever came with more than 2 Mii Costumes from a single unrelated series or company, anyways? That would be total overkill for a fighter from the same company, let alone a completely unrelated fighter.

The way I see it, if Geno's Costume is coming back or getting a "Deluxe Mii Costume" version, someone would've heard about it by now. Yet we not only haven't heard anything regarding it coming back or being upgraded, we've heard of damn near everything else coming besides it. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it wasn't coming back and instead Geno was being upgraded to fighter status.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If we are getting a Mii Costume, please let it be a Sans/Cuphead styled one. It would still burn, but at least it would look like him and it would come with some SMRPG

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I think Geno’s chances are better than ever. I definitely think Geno and Sora are not happening at the same pass.
The only reason I wouldn’t say better than ever is because nothings really changed for him.

Even if Sora is absolutely disconfirmed, I actually don’t think that moves the needle for Geno.

The two characters are completely different and just don’t offer any of the same benefits so it’s hard to substitute the two with one another.

However If Square does have any say in the matter then Lara Croft would most likely be the candidate before they would begin to push Geno or Sora.

Also if Bayonetta is some kind of base, wouldn’t be surprised if it was for Lara Croft or 2B

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Two words. Fire Emblem

Sora is in a weird position, concidering Disney ain¨t able to have Sora in their theme parks.

Also if Bayonetta is some kind of base, wouldn’t be surprised if it was for Lara Croft or 2B
If it would be 2B, that would be rather funny concidering 2B is made by Platinum

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
However If Square does have any say in the matter then Lara Croft would most likely be the candidate before they would begin to push Geno or Sora.
Y'know, this line of thought really reminds me of what people said about Banjo before he was revealed. Despite Banjo & Kazooie being preferred by most Smash fans 9 times out of 10, a lot of people would argue that Steve or Master Chief were more likely because "Well, they're more popular/relevant." or "Well, Microsoft would probably want to put them in instead.". Everyone thought Banjo & Kazooie were mad unlikely and that they wouldn't care much about fan demand.

And then it happened.

I dunno, if they're using Bayo as a base I really don't think it'd be either of those two. Lara Croft may be pretty acrobatic, but she's far from being a combo-oriented character if her games are any indication. And 2B is more sword-oriented than gun-oriented, at that point Lucina would be a much better base.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Sora is in a weird position, concidering Disney ain¨t able to have Sora in their theme parks.
This may honestly add more fuel to the fire of Disney not wanting to use Sora very much outside the context of KH. If Disney doesn't wanna put him in their own theme parks, there's little to no chance they'd want to put him in Smash imo

Polarthief

Smash Lord
And everyone else from SquareEnix either aren't as highly demanded or aren't all that interesting to get into Smash, so it's not really even worth considering. I mean, does anyone out there really think that Gex has a better shot at getting in Smash than Geno?
Bravely series. Anges probably the frontrunner there, but I think Edea or Ringabel would be much better choices. That's like the only other series I can think of besides Sora (and with Disney likely blocking that... yeah...). That said,

The way I see it, if Geno's Costume is coming back or getting a "Deluxe Mii Costume" version, someone would've heard about it by now. Yet we not only haven't heard anything regarding it coming back or being upgraded, we've heard of damn near everything else coming besides it. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it wasn't coming back and instead Geno was being upgraded to fighter status.
Yes, just yes. But I am a pessimist so I can't just blindly believe 100% he's coming. I do think he's coming, and the chances are high, but if anything has even a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%* chance of happening, it's nagging me somewhere in the back of my mind. It sucks.

*Geno's chances of not being added is obviously not that low, just an example number to show that my OCD brain will never be satisfied unless it's an official 100%. Even Banjo-Kazooie leaks the day before E3 didn't 100% satisfy me until I saw their splash screen.

????? 2 characters that are guaranteed to print money over 1 that rarely gets fan demand and may not sell as much from people who buy DLC packs individually? I don't buy that for a second.

Bravely series is liked and there were people thinking they had a chance to be put in quite awhile ago, plenty even looking at it positively. I don't think it's all that likely anymore as the only thing the Bravely series really had going for it with FP2 is that the third game in the series is releasing this year(?), so that would be an advertising character for Square.

This may honestly add more fuel to the fire of Disney not wanting to use Sora very much outside the context of KH. If Disney doesn't wanna put him in their own theme parks, there's little to no chance they'd want to put him in Smash imo
Someone said earlier regarding some spin-off Final Fantasy game where Sora was temporarily available, though SE makes FF (and KH), plus KH has FF characters in it, so I could understand that happening since it makes a lot of sense. But, outside of a SE-owned series? Yeah that's where he starts to drop hardcore, and I can't imagine the money Disney would ask. Cloud was hard enough to bring back (lord knows how much they had to pay out the ass for him), Sora would likely be insurmountable.

D

Deleted member

Not to mention, Sora didn’t even make a proper appearance in Disney Infinity. His keyblade is the only KH content. And King Mickey too.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Y'know, this line of thought really reminds me of what people said about Banjo before he was revealed. Despite Banjo & Kazooie being preferred by most Smash fans 9 times out of 10, a lot of people would argue that Steve or Master Chief were more likely because "Well, they're more popular/relevant." or "Well, Microsoft would probably want to put them in instead.". Everyone thought Banjo & Kazooie were mad unlikely and that they wouldn't care much about fan demand.
While you are absolutely right, you need to think about one thing. Square isn¨t like any other company. There is a reason why people made a big deal that Square Enix content ended up in the base game in a game that isn¨t a Square Enix produced the game. Microsoft and Square Enix do not go by the same mentality.

Does that mean we are getting Sora, Laura, Agnes from BD or Sepiroth instead? No, but it does not mean (unfortunately) that we are getting Geno either.
Heck as far as we know with Square with how they can act sometimes, we might not even get the costume again. :facepalm:

Cloud was hard enough to bring back (lord knows how much they had to pay out the ass for him),
My guess is that Squares need to promote Hero made it a lot easier for them to grab him.

is that the third game in the series is releasing this year(?), so that would be an advertising character for Square.
Dragon Quest. That¨s all I¨m saying.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Dragon Quest. That¨s all I¨m saying.
Isn't DQ also stupidly popular in Asia? Dunno if Bravely is too; it's a good game series don't get me wrong, but I never see anyone really requesting for them, and I'm sure many in Asia were wanting DQ represented in some way.
This is Geno's time now, assuming another SE DLC pack is a for sure thing. There's just no one that has the same demand as Geno, minus Sora and we all know how ass Disney is.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'm an idiot. I pretty much had every single KF member mixed up (thought Imran and Blessing were each other and thought the same about Tim and Greg).

I still don't think this is a hard deconfirm. The whole discussion seems like speculation more than anything.
It's all good! My next question was goong to be if you got the people confused. Not a big deal at all.

Also, I agree. All speculation from what seemed to be a fan question.

Yeah. Seemed to be a fan question of "if you had to pick between these two" with him stating what he heard about Sora(at some unknown time). He never said he had heard anything about Master Chief, one way or the other.

Now, I do believe this is strong enough to make me doubt Sora, as much as I wanted to see him in Smash. But, yeah, I never saw him as "direct competition to Geno."

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Lol nah they sell Kh merch at Disney land

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Speaking of competition between characters, does anyone else feel like we're almost definitely getting a shooty-shooty character*, a la Master Chief or DoomGuy? I can't help but feel we'll get one, but not both for some reason. Idk, it would seem really weird to me to get both DG and MC.

*I mean like 100% shooter game character, not Geno who has some shoot, but not in that way. It's a genre in gaming history that isn't really repped in Smash.
PS: MGS is far from what I would call a "shooter" game, and spirits... meh, they're not characters. Yeah there's RE spirits, but meh.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
To get back track with the discussion, Geno's probably going to be an E3 reveal due to his fan favorite status at this point. Possibly with Crash for a double reveal if other rumors are true. Going by what we know from the physical fighter properties being shared with Bayonetta, there's a decent chance said character is female also just as ZSS was used as a base for Bayo. Some of the best candidates that could fit the description include Chun Li due to her iconic status as the first woman of fighting games, Morrigan from Darkstalkers since Sakurai wants to add as many potential worlds as possible, Taokaka and Makoto from Blazblue due to being significant fan favorites, and when looking at Bandai Namco, we musn't forget Soul Calibur as a possibility.
Don't let this distract you from the fact that this man took a huge dump publicly on the Waluigi fan base in this thread.

No getting back on track until you openly hold the L for your comment on Waluigi.

I love you dude, but you pulled a similar stunt to what SSGuy pulled in regards to the Sora fanbase and he had to hold his L more than once.

Now it's your turn. Admit you overstepped.

As for that video and their discussion, really seems like just regular speculation to me. Sure, he may have a bit of knowledge on of some inner workings to support his narrative, but I doubt he currently knows what is going on at all. Once again, here is everyone freaking out over a bit of new info that really leads us no where new but people are flip-flopping yet again. Please, for the love of god, WAIT FOR ACTUAL INFORMATION!

Even with someone like Sabi or Vergeben, with as much as I feel like they are becoming more and more irrelevant, they have more to offer than this guy. If the words of a director in the company of Square didn't sway you (which it shouldn't, in all honesty) then this doesn't even matter and shouldn't be a blip on the radar, but everyone is so obsessed with Smash that they act like ravenous fiends to every single bit of Smash anything that comes out.

So, to sum up today's thoughts:
  1. Sora is still a real possibility and not a single thing has come out to damn his chances.
  2. Doomguy being less likely doesn't kill or even hurt CacoMallow because either another Bethesda rep or just random costumes (Ubisoft anyone?) can happen.
  3. Geno doesn't share any traits with characters who have gotten "Premium Mii Costumes" and Square is the kind of company to just plug in the same costume for more money rather than give rights for a new one. We either get the old costumes, playable Geno, or nothing.
  4. You all seemingly missed when that mod pointed out recent developments in how Disney handles their licenses and video games. Important food for thought I would say.
  5. The Altair information in PapaGenos's video is the most interesting ACTUAL Smash info to come out recently. That's a lot of work and content for just some Mii costume...
  6. I think you all are sleeping on Ryu Hayabusa.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Isn't DQ also stupidly popular in Asia? Dunno if Bravely is too; it's a good game series don't get me wrong, but I never see anyone really requesting for them, and I'm sure many in Asia were wanting DQ represented in some way.
This is Geno's time now, assuming another SE DLC pack is a for sure thing. There's just no one that has the same demand as Geno, minus Sora and we all know how ass Disney is.
Yes, it's super popular in Asia, but Square also needed to push sales in the west
https://www.videogamer.com/news/dra...western-sales-for-new-entries-to-be-localised
Even if it has a fan demand to it, it was also a marketing push. And concidering BD is Nintendo exclusive, and (if Byleth is anything to go by) Nintendo are not shy of put any marketing material in the fighters pass... If Urushifu feels like a no brainer now because "marketing", what would stop them to put Agnes for the same reason?

I want Geno, just as the next person here. But there is smarter to expect nothing then anything when it comes to Square. Why might not even get the Mii Costume knowing how they are known to work with :confused::facepalm::sadeyes: . SNK they ain¨t

I mean...
Noctis - 1 song and a stage in Tekken
2B - 1 song and a stage in Soul Calibur
Cloud - 2 songs in Ultimate and no spirit from FF besides Clouds fighter spirit. We only got Mallow and Geno instead.
The only thing that has gotten more than the bare minimum is Dragon Quest, and that is most likely because "marketing ploy", but even there we did not get remixes and only the original ones.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Really sorry if anything is worded extra stupid, it's 2:40 AM and I'm not fully lucid; typing this partially asleep and it might sound crazy/paranoid a bit, but hear me out...

Noctis - 1 song
2B - 1 song
Cloud - 2 songs
... oh... ****. This just reminded me... Hey guys, remember when 2 SMRPG songs (Forest Maze and Smithy Boss) were copyright taken down last year? If premium Mii costumes come with 1 song, and all SE characters come with 2 (Hero x4 = 2 x4 songs)... well...

I feel like some of us may have forgotten about this since Geno didn't get in FP1. Well, if they were taken down for Geno to become playable, wouldn't they have taken them down pretty much when they decided on Geno getting in FP2? That would make sense if it was back around E3. Don't have the exact dates of the takedowns, but according to a PapaGenos video posted on July 13th, the songs were up as late as May 15th. I totally forgot about these copyrights until now.

Let's also not forget that MEGALOVANIA was taken down by Nintendo sometime around late November/early December (2018), which ultimately led to the Sans premium Mii costume coming alongside Banjo, shown off September 4th the next year (about 9 months later). While characters take more time than Mii costumes, I'm sure, could this mean we might be seeing a bit of a confirmation on Geno? I doubt he'll be revealed 9 months later (~middle of March) like a Mii costume, but, and this is a stretch of a but, what if it does take around 9~10 months? April's been predicted as DLC 6's release since it's got a nice gap between both a Feb reveal and a June E3 reveal; what if Geno actually is DLC 6?

But yeah, like I said at the top, not very lucid, very tired, but it just kinda hit me when I read Icewolff's post. Hopefully this wiill make sense tomorrow when I wake up and I won't look like a paranoid crazy person, but yeah, just some food for thought. Even if he isn't DLC 6, why did the two songs get taken down, by Nintendo no less, the same exact thing that happened to MEGALOVANIA before Sans got a costume 9 months later? There has to be a reason for it.

PS: If this actually ends up being the case, I'm gonna be both ecstatic we're getting Geno, but really sad we're only getting 2 songs. Two great songs, sure, but I'd have killed for ~8-10 with potentially some remixes.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I dunno, if they're using Bayo as a base I really don't think it'd be either of those two. Lara Croft may be pretty acrobatic, but she's far from being a combo-oriented character if her games are any indication. And 2B is more sword-oriented than gun-oriented, at that point Lucina would be a much better base.
Very true. But using a character as a base may have more to do with more general animations and model structure sometimes. Essentially just because the character is based off a combo heavy character, doesn’t necessarily mean the next will play the same way. FE characters are a decent example of this. They all probably used Marth /Roy as a base whether it be directly or indirectly, but some of them are fairly different from one another.

????? 2 characters that are guaranteed to print money over 1 that rarely gets fan demand and may not sell as much from people who buy DLC packs individually? I don't buy that for a second.

Bravely series is liked and there were people thinking they had a chance to be put in quite awhile ago, plenty even looking at it positively. I don't think it's all that likely anymore as the only thing the Bravely series really had going for it with FP2 is that the third game in the series is releasing this year(?), so that would be an advertising character for square
Other than whatever deal they make through Nintendo, it’s not like Square gets any indirect benefit from using Geno or pushing him. Even merchandise sales would probably be projected to be low. At least with Sora it’s advertisement for any past and future games in development. And KH3 is still fairly recent.

They’d likely chose Lara Croft over Sora simply because with Disney being involved it would dilute whatever profits they make indirectly or directly from that deal.
I think Tomb Raider is pretty much one of their top selling series as well. It’s a AAA that even beats out Kh in terms of sales.
As popular as bravely default was its still a drop in the bucket compared to Tomb raider.

Nintendo may also see her as Diversifying the roster in multiple ways and adding another icon in video game history to its roster. Overall her history in the general gaming industry has much more larger impact.

Still, you'd think Disney would give an incredibly popular series like KH a bit more presence at their parks if that weren't the case.
I do agree, Lol but Kh is a drop in the bucket for Disney, it’s possible they just don’t realize the kind of property they own because other Ips overshadow it. Unfortunately, I personally think the Kh series’s is being ruined by Disney slowly. They really are a slow working poison.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Really sorry if anything is worded extra stupid, it's 2:40 AM and I'm not fully lucid; typing this partially asleep and it might sound crazy/paranoid a bit, but hear me out...
Polar, I have had insomnia for several years back due to severe PTSD. It¨s soon 9 am here in Sweden and I¨ve still not managed to fall asleep, so don¨t you worry.

Let's also not forget that MEGALOVANIA was taken down by Nintendo sometime around late November/early December (2018), which ultimately led to the Sans premium Mii costume coming alongside Banjo, shown off September 4th the next year (about 9 months later). While characters take more time than Mii costumes, I'm sure, could this mean we might be seeing a bit of a confirmation on Geno? I doubt he'll be revealed 9 months later (~middle of March) like a Mii costume, but, and this is a stretch of a but, what if it does take around 9~10 months? April's been predicted as DLC 6's release since it's got a nice gap between both a Feb reveal and a June E3 reveal; what if Geno actually is DLC 6?
Correct me if I¨m wrong, but weren¨t there 2 Undertale songs that they put down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom