• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I didn't say Sakurai claimed there was a third party rep next, the interview implied that to be the case since Nintendo turned down his initial choice. I admit I can be wrong about things at times, but that's the flow of speculation for Smash in general. I admit that I was wrong regarding Dragon Quest, but much like Fatman, I speculate and am not a leaker/insider. I'm just stating my overall thoughts and my own conclusions based on the facts that are laid out when they show up.
That's not even what was said. As far as the quote goes it's saying the character's weren't picked based on his personal preferences. Trying to say his bias didn't play a part.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Coincidentally, I've had to work with Disney for public events. You all know but for the lurkers, my wife and I run a Halloween Facebook group where he advertise and help plan public events each October. Disney is very particular about movies and you have to work with a second party for the licensing. For starters, you have to give them about 90 days notice for the event. Second, you have to lock in the date. Doesn't matter if the location gets carpet bombed, you have to stick to that date. No rescheduling. Next, you have to do a date that they permit. For example, Disney is super hard nosed about not licensing out the Nightmare Before Christmas after October 15. Can't do it before then? "**** you, try again next year" -Mickey Mouse.

Next you have to explain the nature of the event in full. If they don't like it in any way, it's no deal. Of course the biggest rule is that you can't make a profit from the showing. If you do, the Disney Death Eaters will find you. Surprisingly, they're not cool with charity events either. Doesn't matter if it's for paralyzed baby seals, they find out that anyone gets a large sum of money except them, they're coming to your house. So, if they approve the event and you legally acknowledge that they can make your life Hell if you break any of the rules, then comes the costs. Depending on demand and time of year, it fluctuates. Something like TNBC or Hocus Pocus in October will set you back about $800 PER SHOWING and there's also a deposit that's non-refundable and due as soon as the deal is closed. You then have until about 2 weeks out from the event to pay the rest or the deal's off.

Something I also have to say regarding this is that you're responsible for all your own equipment and they provide none of that. The "movie" is also a simple DVD if you don't already own it and you have to pay to send it back to them by a certain date. That's the kicker too... You basically have to pay Disney to show a group of people TNBC even if you're doing it for free and it's your own DVD because licensing is that much of a pain in the ass. Again, this is for ONE SHOWING of a 26 year old movie, I can't imagine what would need to be agreed on for Sora to be in Smash Bros.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If the Sora talks are to be believed, then we as a community are kind of in endgame at this time. Either Nintendo wanted to make us happy or wanted nothing to do with Geno when it is all said and done. I truly believed they would go with Sora for the loud minority that follow him around.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Coincidentally, I've had to work with Disney for public events. You all know but for the lurkers, my wife and I run a Halloween Facebook group where he advertise and help plan public events each October. Disney is very particular about movies and you have to work with a second party for the licensing. For starters, you have to give them about 90 days notice for the event. Second, you have to lock in the date. Doesn't matter if the location gets carpet bombed, you have to stick to that date. No rescheduling. Next, you have to do a date that they permit. For example, Disney is super hard nosed about not licensing out the Nightmare Before Christmas after October 15. Can't do it before then? "**** you, try again next year" -Mickey Mouse.

Next you have to explain the nature of the event in full. If they don't like it in any way, it's no deal. Of course the biggest rule is that you can't make a profit from the showing. If you do, the Disney Death Eaters will find you. Surprisingly, they're not cool with charity events either. Doesn't matter if it's for paralyzed baby seals, they find out that anyone gets a large sum of money except them, they're coming to your house. So, if they approve the event and you legally acknowledge that they can make your life Hell if you break any of the rules, then comes the costs. Depending on demand and time of year, it fluctuates. Something like TNBC or Hocus Pocus in October will set you back about $800 PER SHOWING and there's also a deposit that's non-refundable and due as soon as the deal is closed. You then have until about 2 weeks out from the event to pay the rest or the deal's off.

Something I also have to say regarding this is that you're responsible for all your own equipment and they provide none of that. The "movie" is also a simple DVD if you don't already own it and you have to pay to send it back to them by a certain date. That's the kicker too... You basically have to pay Disney to show a group of people TNBC even if you're doing it for free and it's your own DVD because licensing is that much of a pain in the ass. Again, this is for ONE SHOWING of a 26 year old movie, I can't imagine what would need to be agreed on for Sora to be in Smash Bros.
Oof, I don't envy what anyone would have to go through to get Sora at that point.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If the Sora talks are to be believed, then we as a community are kind of in endgame at this time. Either Nintendo wanted to make us happy or wanted nothing to do with Geno when it is all said and done. I truly believed they would go with Sora for the loud minority that follow him around.
Yeah but if they were put through an even worse hell than Fatman, I can totally believe Nintendo being like "**** that noise" after trying, and I can guarantee that if you have to go to Disney for it, there's no way in hell they'll just hand him over. Cloud was supposedly a massive pain in the ass; anything Disney-related would likely be ~5-10x that. Doesn't seem worth it. Wouldn't be surprised if they would also demand 100% of the DLC payments, as well as extra on top of it. Then you'd probably have to pay SE on top of that for reasons.

Meanwhile, Geno's already got a foot in the door with a Sm4sh costume and spirit in Ultimate; his costume from the previous game mysteriously not reappearing. SE is a diva (nowhere close to Disney), but they already have 2 characters in the game and they've clearly been open to allowing Geno in the game in some form. The two are night-and-day differences because one requires going to one of, if not, the worst companies ever to try and get licensing rights to any of their owned IPs. The other is Geno.

All that said, if Geno's been planned for some time (which seems likely, given his COSTUME STILL BEING AWOL, WHERE THE HECK IS IT?!), they might have intended to go with both him and Sora, if they could actually get Sora in, but it's seeming more and more unlikely, especially given today's events and Disney's rather ridiculous policies.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

It's reasons like this that the inner Star Wars fan in me terrified since 2012.

Don't get me started on how concerned I am about seeing Simpsons/Bob's Burgers/King of the Hill and the distribution of those shows in a few years...

Don't want Disney getting their slimy white gloves into Smash Bros. Especially at the expense of a character kept alive purely by fan love and admiration. Disney seems to be pretty good at destroying really great things that people organically love. (Rest in peace Wander Over Yonder)

Still hyped for Clone Wars conclusion though

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah but if they were put through an even worse hell than Fatman, I can totally believe Nintendo being like "**** that noise" after trying, and I can guarantee that if you have to go to Disney for it, there's no way in hell they'll just hand him over. Cloud was supposedly a massive pain in the ass; anything Disney-related would likely be ~5-10x that. Doesn't seem worth it. Wouldn't be surprised if they would also demand 100% of the DLC payments, as well as extra on top of it. Then you'd probably have to pay SE on top of that for reasons.

Meanwhile, Geno's already got a foot in the door with a Sm4sh costume and spirit in Ultimate; his costume from the previous game mysteriously not reappearing. SE is a diva (nowhere close to Disney), but they already have 2 characters in the game and they've clearly been open to allowing Geno in the game in some form. The two are night-and-day differences because one requires going to one of, if not, the worst companies ever to try and get licensing rights to any of their owned IPs. The other is Geno.
At times, I just wished Nintendo would've bought out the rights to all the original characters made for Super Mario RPG just so we wouldn't have to deal with these ridiculous legal shenanigans.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Except it doesn't make sense to use a female character as a base/use characteristics of one for Waluigi since he already has a character model in Ultimate.
Wah is a longman, and Bayo is a longwoman, both are sexy af. Kind of makes sense to me.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
At times, I just wished Nintendo would've bought out the rights to all the original characters made for Super Mario RPG just so we wouldn't have to deal with these ridiculous legal shenanigans.
Plus we'd also have an official SMRPG 2, possibly 3, 4, 5 etc by now. That said, we may have never gotten Paper Mario as a result, hmmm... That's hard, because as much as I love SMRPG, I also thoroughly love the customization and strategy that is in Paper Mario, especially the badge system (seriously, I'm a sucker for stuff like PM's badge system). Badges alone are probably why I love PM a hell of a lot more than say M&L (also still a great series though, don't get me wrong).

Wah is a longman, and Bayo is a longwoman, both are sexy af. Kind of makes sense to me.
Oh god, I could totally see Walunetta catching on now...
... that said, I don't *completely* hate the idea.

Last edited:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
So I'm lost on the whole bayonetta stuff, do you guys mind filling me in?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Except it doesn't make sense to use a female character as a base/use characteristics of one for Waluigi since he already has a character model in Ultimate.
He'll need two models to contain all that leg action

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
EQE-Cm0U4AEnUQn.png

Hey, y'all. Who's enjoying the new Minecraft update. Gonna chill tonight and make a base with the new crimson blocks. Also gonna hunt for gmax toxtricity.

Geno and chill everyone

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So I'm lost on the whole bayonetta stuff, do you guys mind filling me in?
Glitches with specific animations that only appeared with the latest update seem to imply that the next DLC character will use auto-combo kicking attacks that were developed using Bayonetta’s data as a base

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hey, y'all. Who's enjoying the new Minecraft update. Gonna chill tonight and make a base with the new crimson blocks. Also gonna hunt for gmax toxtricity.

Geno and chill everyone
Not a Minecraft fan, but I do like the color of the flames

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Plus we'd also have an official SMRPG 2, possibly 3, 4, 5 etc by now. That said, we may have never gotten Paper Mario as a result, hmmm... That's hard, because as much as I love SMRPG, I also thoroughly love the customization and strategy that is in Paper Mario, especially the badge system (seriously, I'm a sucker for stuff like PM's badge system). Badges alone are probably why I love PM a hell of a lot more than say M&L (also still a great series though, don't get me wrong).

Oh god, I could totally see Walunetta catching on now...
... that said, I don't *completely* hate the idea.
Don't you DARE ship Bayonetta and Waluigi, I'm not mentally capable to handle anything related to that subject at all.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
View attachment 261289

Geno and chill everyone
I really like the new Nether stuff they're adding. The only thing is ghasts are bothersome in the Soulsand Valley, and are especially annoying if your portal generates there. I like that they spawn more often there, as I thought the biome could be a Ghast domain because of all the soul stuff, though they seem to spawn too often...with fireballs coming at you left and right, and constant Ghast screams.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
As both a Sora fan and Geno fan I am conflicted. Do not get me wrong, Geno is ahead by a nose between the two, but I was of the mind that BOTH could happen.

If this is a legit shoot then I am saddened. But this could also be just speculation among people. However, knowing this guys insider knowledge, it makes sense to take this as truth. Interesting note, Remember when Shinji said to that fan that Sora was not in Smash? Could we possibly see a connection between Shinji and Imran's 'speculation'?

EDIT: Aerospherology Aerospherology seeing Waluigi doing Bayonetta moves really makes me want to see him as a fighter!

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Imran Kahn said that Sora is out.
Unless there's something else, all he said was Disney Japan could be an obstacle. The only one he was vehemently disagreeing with getting in was Master Chief in that video, though the other KF people still think both he and Sora are getting in after that exchange.

People need to watch that video again because they're really misinterpreting what Imran is saying if they think it's something explicit.

D

Deleted member

Unless there's something else, all he said was Disney Japan could be an obstacle. The only one he was vehemently disagreeing with getting in was Master Chief in that video, though the other KF people still think both he and Sora are getting in after that exchange.

People need to watch that video again because they're really misinterpreting what Imran is saying if they think it's something explicit.
Don't kill the messenger. I didn't even watch the video but I will take the L.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace

I just watched the video. I don't see the "vehemently disagreeing with Master Chief." He and Greg seem more about him than the other two, but only one seems to be "I will eat this cup if Chief gets in" about it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Don't you DARE ship Bayonetta and Waluigi, I'm not mentally capable to handle anything related to that subject at all.
LOL I'm not actively shipping them, I'm just saying it's so weird that I could see it happening.

I just watched the video. I don't see the "vehemently disagreeing with Master Chief." He and Greg seem more about him than the other two, but only one seems to be "I will eat this cup if Chief gets in" about it.
I don't see MC being nearly as hard to get compared to Sora, given that we already have BK, a now Microsoft-owned IP, in the game. If anything with how well Microsoft and Nintendo have been as of late, I'd almost expect to see him sometime later. Hell my E3 prediction last year was way off; I was actually expecting MCC (and Rare Replay) on Switch, alongside MC and BK in Smash. I'll laugh if the games and MC were delayed to 2020's E3 instead.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I'm an idiot. I pretty much had every single KF member mixed up (thought Imran and Blessing were each other and thought the same about Tim and Greg).

I still don't think this is a hard deconfirm. The whole discussion seems like speculation more than anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It seems Imran only thinks Sora isn't happening, while Chief was just speculation about who could be the biggest reveal left.
Yeah, Imran said Nintendo approached Disney and he thinks Disney of Japan specifically is keeping him getting in. I’m a bit iffy since I rewatched the video but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The thing is though is that Khan is an insider in a professional sense. He likely knows what he's talking about. He was the former senior editor of Game Informer after all. His speculation comes with industry know how and experience. That's why I definitely put a lot of weight in his recent statements.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The thing is though is that Khan is an insider in a professional sense. He likely knows what he's talking about. He was the former senior editor of Game Informer after all. His speculation comes with industry know how and experience. That's why I definitely put a lot of weight in his recent statements.
Yeah he seems incredibly confident when he states anything I noticed in this video. There was no hesitation in saying Disney Japan said No (or rather being a road block)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Thanks! Nothing personal, I don’t want Sora before Geno.
Then be nicer about it then. I dont care if you want geno more over sora, just dont be an asshole

but who am I kidding, no one is listening to what I have to say anyway. I just want everyone to be nice to eachoter and not make another feel like **** but obviously its not possable to say you want one character without being rude about the other

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can’t help but find a little concerning that Nintendo wanted to add Sora. Yes, Sora is owned by Disney, but one could argue that he can still count as Square rep because of his association.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Wow that's insane. Khan completely and totally sealed Sora's fate in my eyes. While I never thought Sora had a good shot to begin with, I still love the character. Also, none of them mentioned Geno at all, but HOT DAMN would it be amazing to get MASTER ****ing CHIEF!! >< Best timeline!

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Wow that's insane. Khan completely and totally sealed Sora's fate in my eyes. While I never thought Sora had a good shot to begin with, I still love the character. Also, none of them mentioned Geno at all, but HOT DAMN would it be amazing to get MASTER ****ing CHIEF!! >< Best timeline!
Yeah master chief would be lit. Really glad they didnt seal geno's fate though. That could've been bad.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame to hear that Sora is looking bleak, I thought he would be fun to play. Chief and Sora would both be HOLY **** moments for the entire net though, which is something I feel like Geno lacks to that extent. The fact Ninty may have approached the mouse also worries me. That said, I'd like to think that FPII could happily exist with both Sora and Geno, despite them both veering into each other's lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom