• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Thanks for getting me a warning wynn728 apperciate it loads. Even if I get banned on here that's no hair of my back. A post where I simply said it's okay if you're not optimistic and then praised Red's work. But look since you hated it so much I apologize I wasn't trying to offend you in any way and will know not to interact with you in the future.

I'll post my thoughts later going to watch the presentation one last time!

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Didn't sakurai apologize to rex fans for not adding him in because he was too new, yet he adds a fire emblem character from a game that wasn't even out at the time of the dlc decision?

The absolute STATE of Rex fans rn.
He said that because Rex's design wasn't finished till like half a year after Ultimate's project plan was finished. The only times he has added characters whose designs weren't finished were Pokemon because they finish the starters first so he can get the designs much earlier.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He was literally saying all of his sources were backing a western character, and that most of them thought it was Dragonborn.

I’m afraid that is not “speculation” so to speak.
None of them hard backed Dragonborn. Three agreed on Bethesda. That was basically it. Still, I took a chance and I lost. That's life. It can go down that I wasn't deathly afraid of being wrong on the internet despite literally thousands of people seeing my opinions and theories. I can be proud of that fact. Death and doxx threats over two months and I still held onto my convictions. As I keep saying, there's worse things in life than being wrong.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Geno could've absolutely filled a spot in "unique mechanics" with a timed hit mechanic, it'd be rewarding and (hopefully) skillful, so you wouldn't just be able to spam projectile after projectile and expect to win. *(quickplay Links/Belmonts/Ness players who use B only, I'm looking at you.) I can't say I see what makes Byleth unique, besides a super armor move, but many characters before them have super armor attacks already (King K., Ganondorf, Little Mac) so...?

I'll just enjoy Byleth as a late base game character, better to have them than nobody at all! I just hope Sakurai gets a break soon. :scared:

*Does not apply to everyone who plays these characters.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Didn't sakurai apologize to rex fans for not adding him in because he was too new, yet he adds a fire emblem character from a game that wasn't even out at the time of the dlc decision?

I think this is going to be the issue people have with this addition: the exceptions that Fire Emblem gets.

'If Robin missed it even by a day with Awakenings development cycle being along with Smash 4's development, he wouldn't be added. But he was able to make the deadline.'
'Yea, but DK Tropical Freeze was being done at the same time too. So is Dixie being added?'
'Well, that's different.'

'Three Houses is very popular and a success, so we should give them a character.'
'Yea, but Breath of the Wild and Sword/Shield were massive successes as well, one that was highly praised and the other record breaking. Are Zelda and Pokemon getting new characters?'

'Sorry Rex fans, but Xenoblade came out too late in cycle for him to be DLC, plus the DLC list is complete so he can't be added.'
'Yea, but Three Houses is coming out even later, so does that mean a FE character can't be added either?'

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Gonna flex for half a second:
Current personal thoughts/theories:
  • Fighter Pass 5 is a first-party character, maybe Waluigi, maybe not. This is why every single third party company has been shot down and we don’t have any clue who it is; we’ve been looking in the wrong place. Any third-party names floating around are probably either post-pass or leakbait for post-pass.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

I feel really bad for them right now but I unfortunately do not have the attachment to the character.

Ultimately, if we keep getting Premium Mii Costumes for Indie characters like Hat Kid, Celeste and Shantae, I might feel even worse for Shovel Knight fans with their Assist Trophy

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

I might be mildly disappointed by fire emblem, but rex's fans basically just got a big, dummy thicc middle finger. I feel bad for them.

Edit: I really want to see rex make it in now just because of it, honestly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

First of all, her name is Madeline. Second of all, I desperately want that premium Mii costume to happen. Celeste replaced Crash Bandicoot Warped as my favorite game of all time and I want to see it represented in Smash.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Alright so, sorry for my quick outburst of messages, but this'll be my last one for a bit. I got one last thing I wanted to share.

I hadn't seen this cutscene in a while so when the Smash trailer began and all I saw was this:
1579191320517.png

I nearly croaked, I watched this with my brother and we both almost screamed at 7:00 AM in a house of 6. All I saw was a forest, and I was totally over hyping myself. Wish I could've shown ya'll the looks we both had when we saw Byleth's small silhouette though.

We basically went from this:
1579191541050.png

To this:
1579191555805.png

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel really bad for them right now but I unfortunately do not have the attachment to the character.

Ultimately, if we keep getting Premium Mii Costumes for Indie characters like Hat Kid, Celeste and Shantae, I might feel even worse for Shovel Knight fans with their Assist Trophy
I know you meant the main character of Celeste (Madeline), but now I'm picturing them adding a Mii costume for the mountain that the game is named after.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Alright so, sorry for my quick outburst of messages, but this'll be my last one for a bit. I got one last thing I wanted to share.

I hadn't seen this cutscene in a while so when the Smash trailer began and all I saw was this:
View attachment 258038

I nearly croaked, I watched this with my brother and we both almost screamed at 7:00 AM in a house of 6. All I saw was a forest, and I was totally over hyping myself. Wish I could've shown ya'll the looks we both had when we saw Byleth's small silhouette though.

View attachment 258040
To this:
View attachment 258041
I knew it wasn’t doomguy the moment I saw that

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Honestly I think the funniest part about this whole thing is everyone thought Sakurai was holding up a three when it turned out to be some weird binary sign for 17.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
None of them hard backed Dragonborn. Three agreed on Bethesda. That was basically it. Still, I took a chance and I lost. That's life. It can go down that I wasn't deathly afraid of being wrong on the internet despite literally thousands of people seeing my opinions and theories. I can be proud of that fact. Death and doxx threats over two months and I still held onto my convictions. As I keep saying, there's worse things in life than being wrong.
As someone who didn't believe in your predictions, I admire you being a man about it. That's an honorable stance you are taking and it makes me respect you more.

Even with no leads, we will see Geno some day.

Fighter Pass 2 will be revealed soon enough, so let's get this show on the road!

I knew it wasn’t doomguy the moment I saw that
I honestly thought we were getting Zant from Twilight Princess for a second. That would have been really sick.

First of all, her name is Madeline. Second of all, I desperately want that premium Mii costume to happen. Celeste replaced Crash Bandicoot Warped as my favorite game of all time and I want to see it represented in Smash.
Sorry about that. I knew I screwed her name up and was meaning to change that.

But yeah, stuff like that would be really nice. I also see that being MC Steve's way into Smash bros as well. But I think any popular Indie Game character has a chance with a premium Mii Fighter outfit.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I was just reading through all this for the reactions, and in all honesty, I feel somewhat drained too.
Perhaps I should have actually slept in, that AVGN gif was absolutely perfect for the firestorm that was this announcement.

Sorry I sort of jinxed you gentlemen with my optimism that this was your time. Man, this incoming Fighter's Pack is not going to look pretty for any of us.

On a personal note, I still believe that Shantae has a chance, and that the next DLC costume with a full mask will likely be someone like Hollow Knight. Oh dear, if the Doom Slayer gets a DLC costume, that will not end well at all, but it'd be hilarious to me.

That being said, don't lose the will to fight. Fight on with all your might, as Shovel Knight would have done.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Seeing as how we typically get 3 directs every year, December 2021 makes sense. 1 character per direct.
Spring 2020 (February/March) direct: FP6 is revealed
E3 2020: FP7 revealed
September 2020 direct: FP8 revealed
Spring 2021 direct: FP9 revealed
E3 2021: FP10 revealed
September 2021 direct: FP11

NerfOrNothiing

Smash Cadet

View attachment 258038

View attachment 258040
To this:
View attachment 258041
OH DONT EVEN LOL!!! i was in class when the direct happened, and there was another kid in the class watching the direct. don't really know the guy but I for sure thought it was geno when i saw the dang forest. clearly, it wasn't, and right when i saw the fire emblem art style come up i audibly went "Noooooo". ( class hadn't started yet :] ) funnily enough -- he did the same exact thing. it was great. the disappointment that suddenly spread through that room was probably the most memorable thing about the direct. minus the mii costumes...cuphead....

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I know, I'm just saying I'm BOARD of waiting for the Three Houses spirits.
Were you hinting at Byleth being DLC eventually with this post?

I still don't know how to tag people so hopefully he sees this.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if its gonna be soon... I saw that the expect all the 6 new fighters to be released by December 2021.... releasing the next soon would be very very strange if they expect 6 fighters to take 2 years.
The thing that bothers me with this announcement is why would it take 2 years to develop 6 fighters? What could cause the development time for these character to be so long? How are they going to deal with a General Direct where they won't have Smash news and they don't warn people beforehand?
I think this is going to be the issue people have with this addition: the exceptions that Fire Emblem gets.

'If Robin missed it even by a day with Awakenings development cycle being along with Smash 4's development, he wouldn't be added. But he was able to make the deadline.'
'Yea, but DK Tropical Freeze was being done at the same time too. So is Dixie being added?'

'Three Houses is very popular and a success, so we should give them a character.'
'Yea, but Breath of the Wild and Sword/Shield were massive successes as well, one that was highly praised and the other record breaking. Are Zelda and Pokemon getting new characters?'

'Sorry Rex fans, but Xenoblade came out too late in cycle for him to be DLC, plus the DLC list is complete so he can't be added.'
'Yea, but Three Houses is coming out even later, so does that mean a FE character can't be added either?'
That, plus the Ultimate effect: Byleth shouldn't be a problem to be included. FE:3H was one of the most critically acclaimed games of last year and another breakthrough for the franchise. The problem with Fire Emblem in Smash is that it needs a complete restructuring on how it's representation is handled:
- 4 characters are based on one base with very small tweaks, when it could be all put together. One thing I liked with Byleth is putting all references in the alt colors, instead of all new characters.
- FE is a very character driven game, making people really attached for these characters, even if some lost their relevancy a long time ago. As such, one of the bast ways to represent the franchise is with Characters. However, so is Xenoblade and Zelda and they just put the main recurring characters for these franchises. If one-off characters from these franchises can't come in, what makes Fire Emblem different. It can also creates a problem where, if you were to put all one-offs, the roster would be gigantic and that won't happen.
- The main staples and constants of Fire Emblem are side content instead of the main representation. Characters like Anna and Tiki, which are much more predominant in the games, keep being sidelined for one-offs. The "weapon triangle" (a staple of the series) took this long to be included.
- It will be really difficult to replace / remove characters like Corrin, that while from a one-off game that can lose relevancy over time, no character can replace their play style (and removing will cause backlash again)

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
fe does it again! fire emblem: the killer of hype

lol

well hey at least we got thru the worst drought in a while and have 6 fighters to look forward to. this moment will pass cuz its only up from here. im keeping my mind on geno and him rising this year, stay strong yall

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As someone who didn't believe in your predictions, I admire you being a man about it. That's an honorable stance you are taking and it makes me respect you more.
I didn't want to use that expression but, yeah, I was a man about it. No wishy washy bull****, I made hard predictions when even my contacts refused to. I've gone about things my own way. Right or wrong, I continue speculating.

D

Deleted member

Stop listen to Fatman guys. Without Fatmans theories you would not be that salty now. Just dont believe anyone on the internet.

If Corrin is playable in Smash, Byleth deserves it 1000x more. Three Houses is an amazing strategic RPG game!

Again dont be salty and toxic. I know this is the Geno thread, but stay optimistic. There is still no Geno Mii costume! You have still a chance! Dont forget this.
To be fair, why would we be salty from theories? Also on Byleth, we as consumers have the right to be disappointed on a product. You know what else was a successful game? Xenoblade 2. Sakurai made a Mii costume because it was too late, but yet Nintendo and Sakurai would rather prioritize Three Houses. Breath of the Wild was successful, so why not the Champions? In my opinion, it is more necessary to add a Zelda rep. Fire Emblem is not a flagship franchise, compared to Zelda so why not a rep?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
So uh... It’s been awhile lol. Kinda disappointed but the Cuphead mii is neat, and six more will hopefully be good.

So how’s Geno looking right now? Im a bit worried but doesnt look like his chances were hurt.
RIP Grumbo Grumbo he was a cool guy
Whatever happened to him?
What's going on with Grumbo Grumbo did something bad happen to him? I know he left but really why RIP if he is alright?
No no, he said he wanted to RIP Grumbo Grumbo , if you know what I mean.:ultpacman:
Don’t worry guys I’m good. I just needed a break for awhile

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I didn't want to use that expression but, yeah, I was a man about it. No wishy washy bull****, I made hard predictions when even my contacts refused to. I've gone about things my own way. Right or wrong, I continue speculating.
I've only heard hearsay about you over on the Shantae servers, but at the end of it all, you are unlike VergeBen or Sabi. You're a higher-tier speculator, but a speculator nonetheless, and mainly by holding your ground even with the Internet effect, it's quite admirable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Were you hinting at Byleth being DLC eventually with this post?

I still don't know how to tag people so hopefully he sees this.
No and I can be honest with this. I was told that a Three Houses Fire Emblem stage and Spirit board were coming (along with 4 FE Mii costumes but those may come later). I attached this to 6 because I assumed 6 was going to be a bonus and nobody had heard Byleth.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Off-topic note: These indie costumes have me hopeful that Madeline from Celeste will become a Mii Brawler with a music track. Celeste music in Smash would be AMAZING! I'm now imagining it packaged with the song "Confronting Myself" and... fellas... I NEED IT.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So uh... It’s been awhile lol. Kinda disappointed but the Cuphead mii is neat, and six more will hopefully be good.

So how’s Geno looking right now? Im a bit worried but doesnt look like his chances were hurt.

Don’t worry guys I’m good. I just needed a break for awhile
Welcome back Grumbo old buddy. :)

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
No and I can be honest with this. I was told that a Three Houses Fire Emblem stage and Spirit board were coming (along with 4 FE Mii costumes but those may come later). I attached this to 6 because I assumed 6 was going to be a bonus and nobody had heard Byleth.
OH YEAH, you thought it was going to be with Waluigi. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Have their been rumblings about Purple People Eaters stage being Purple People Eaters Pinball? Cause that's what I crave.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
After 2 characters and the costumes not showing, I'm going to officially call CacoMallow dead. Anyone else is free to keep believing if they wish but the chances are so low that it's real at this stage. Next most of the most expected characters were likely what they always were built off false rumors and fan expectations not being in line with what the devs want to do so most of the heavy speculated such as Dante, Ryu, DoomGuy and Crash I wouldn't expect. I expect maybe one of those at most. With 6 characters I can see around 2 heavy fan requests this time. I'm putting down for Isaac and Geno. And with that ROund 2 of DLC spec is officially underway. Now to wait 4 more months before another character.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
When you first talked about this, it was exactly what I was thinking.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Other than CacoMallow looking less likely, (but still possible if Bethesda/Geno is FP6), Geno’s chances are still solid as ever.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Took a break to just breathe after all the **** happening at Twitter, it’s a warzone over there lol

to recollect my thoughts yeah I’m disappointed in fighter 5 but hey we got 6 more fighters coming up and Geno’s chances haven’t been squashed plus we got a Cuphead Mii costume with a bonus track so that’s pretty neat

if y’all are annoyed from the fighter announcement, the community, or whatever just take a little break offline cuz man does it feel good to get some fresh air lol

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
After 2 characters and the costumes not showing, I'm going to officially call CacoMallow dead. Anyone else is free to keep believing if they wish but the chances are so low that it's real at this stage. Next most of the most expected characters were likely what they always were built off false rumors and fan expectations not being in line with what the devs want to do so most of the heavy speculated such as Dante, Ryu, DoomGuy and Crash I wouldn't expect. I expect maybe one of those at most. With 6 characters I can see around 2 heavy fan requests this time. I'm putting down for Isaac and Geno. And with that ROund 2 of DLC spec is officially underway. Now to wait 4 more months before another character.
Bold of you to assume they will reveal anything in so short a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom