• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Alright, boys and girls, time for the Firox breakdown of today's presentation. There's a lot to unpack here.

Firstly, I didn't record my reaction but I can give you a quick transcript: The trailer starts. I immediately recognize the CG area. "Aaaaand ****, it's Byleth." Nuff said.

Now for my thoughts:
THE NEGATIVE
-In typical fashion, Nintendo hard ****ed the landing on this final DLC. I (and many others) joked about getting another FE character because we didn't honestly think Nintendo would shill THIS hard. We were wrong. There are now three absolutes in life: Death, taxes, and Fire Emblem Smash DLC. As long as there is a relatively new FE game in existence, we can probably bank on there being a corresponding Smash DLC addition.
-If Nintendo is willing to shill so shamelessly for Fire Emblem, I am now 99.99999% sure that one of the next DLC fighters will be a Gen 8 pokemon. This could be good news for some of you but it's almost guaranteed that we'll get one if even MORE FE characters aren't out of the realm of possibility.
-Interesting as Byleth looks, I don't see a lot of competitive potential. The range could be good, but the specials are lackluster and the projectile is clunky as all hell. I admit that Up B spike looks sexy but it seems like a do-or-die option off stage. I guess time will tell.
-I REALLY hope that it doesn't become the new norm to unveil only one character per direct and then spend the entire rest of the time sucking off their given franchise. We get it. Sakurai has a boner for SNK and Nintendo has a MASSIVE bone sword (hehe) for FE. I could care less about getting a rundown of the series' gameplay and mechanics. SHOW ME THE FIGHTERS!
-Thank you leakers for probably screwing us out of any same-day releases ever again. It looks like Sakurai's secret behind keeping his secrets is to keep the distributors in the dark until the last second. He (and now we) now know that 100% of our legit leaks are coming from promotion/distributor contacts within Nintendo's corporate network. By holding back on release, he's holding back on info. Good for surprises, but slows down the process. How convenient.

THE POSITIVE
-The stage and music are absolutely GORGEOUS! Definitely one of my new favorites.
-High-grade Cup Head costume looks great (with music)
-I thought is was funny that even Sakurai acknowledges that another standard swordie FE character would be super tired and cliche, hence why they gave Byleth all kinds of different weapons. It keeps things a little fresher and makes the shill kick to the balls a little softer.
-We're getting 6 more guaranteed characters! Awesome! Was hesitant to buy the mystery box the first time, but I'm strongly considering biting the bullet this time since they've shown that even a shill character can be unique enough to be worth getting (or for the stage and music if nothing else)
-STILL. NO. GENO. COSTUME! Megaman X and EXE came back, and if I'm not mistaken, that means that all past costumes have returned EXCEPT for Geno! This is an incredibly good omen.

EDIT: It seems I forgot about quite a few other mii costumes that are still out there, however, Geno is still missing, which is still a good sign.

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
I think there are some good take aways from this presentation, mainly that 1st party characters are not out of the question as originally thought

The only thing that has yet to be proven false with fan speculation is Assist Trophies can’t get upgraded and are therefore out of the running (Purple Bill “The Butcher” Cutting), and spirits cannot become playable fighters (Geno)

If there are any new/ upcoming Nintendo characters from new games coming out, I think they have a chance of getting in. Like many, I was under the impression that no new characters after 2017 were eligible (Byleth from Three Houses came out summer of 2019). Now that is not the case

After today, I think hopes should be higher, but still have a consistent reminder that Sakurai is Sakurai, and if there is a new fire emblem game, a character from that series should be taken seriously as a candidate for DLC

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What gets me is that Cuphead couldve been the character, but of course he can't take the spot away from the Marth look alike, oh no no.

In all seriousness, congrats to Byleth fans but hooboy this DLC season has been nothing but disappointment after disappointment for me with the exception of Banjo.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Well, my opinions on the remaining Mii Costumes:
Monster Hunter stuff: Possibly, Monster Hunter is getting their own rep, but this could just be saved for another Capcom character or is just gonna be stuck with someone else
Heihachi, Lloyd, and Gil: I think one will probably become a fighter, in order of likelihood: Lloyd, Heihachi, Gil. The other 2 will probably get stuck with the one who makes it in (which I think Lloyd is much more likely than the other two)
Geno and Choccobo: If the Mii Costume list still to be believed (which I think it is) I think Choccobo hat will return (I'm so sorry Choccobo fans) and will come with a fully upgraded Geno with Mallow and Smithy costumes.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Didn't sakurai apologize to rex fans for not adding him in because he was too new, yet he adds a fire emblem character from a game that wasn't even out at the time of the dlc decision?

The absolute STATE of Rex fans rn.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Didn't sakurai apologize to rex fans for not adding him in because he was too new, yet he adds a fire emblem character from a game that wasn't even out at the time of the dlc decision?

The absolute STATE of Rex fans rn.
He did say that lol! Fire Emblem bias lmao!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Bro, why would FP5 be exciting? It's the last character. Chances are, people have bought the pass already. They don't need to sell the pass at this point- it's already done. It makes perfect sense to advertise a hit game that Nintendo themselves made.
Integrity I guess? Not wanting to end the pass extremely dissapointingly?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Another request for the meme squad, if you can manage it. A logo swap reading "super fire emblem bros ultimate... And smash" feel free to just superimpose the fire emblem logo in there. It'll be funny.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
As predictions in a theory. How dare he ever posts a prediction that a lot people weren’t even thinking it’s likely?
He was literally saying all of his sources were backing a western character, and that most of them thought it was Dragonborn.

I’m afraid that is not “speculation” so to speak.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
As predictions in a theory. How dare he ever posts a prediction that a lot people weren’t even thinking it’s likely?
It is contradictory to his statement about people setting their expectations high, considering he was to some extent contributing to it. I believe that was the intention behind that statement.
He was literally saying all of his sources were backing a western character, and that most of them thought it was Dragonborn.

On the other hand, Fat was 100% clear on the fact that the 5th fighter being Dragonborn was entirely his speculation, and nothing more.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmm, I am seeing talk that this may have been a rushed forced pick, and the actual FP5 was moved to the next pass. Right after they Announced Byleth they showed off more FE three houses DLC, so people are thinking they added Byleth in after the huge success of that game.

How do you guys feel about that theory?

OffBi

Smash Ace
Flaming

Literally none of his sources thought that dragon born was coming you ****

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You guys want to know the worst part about this? THE GODDAMN ARTIFACT THEORY WAS RIGHT.

IT LINES UP PERFECTLY WITH THE GREEN POSTER ON THE LEFT

GOD DAMN IT.
View attachment 258019
Yep close but no cigar

The theory was right about the green but it was the banner

Though I got it right on his arm having some off pixels as well

But here’s the good news

All of the previous mii costumes but geno and heihachi are shown

Are boy is still alive

I expect him doomguy crash and Ryu for this pack

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Funny enough, it looks like FP1 was almost a repeat of Smash 4's end roster/DLC:

Dark Pit, Plant (base-breaking, contentious)
Lucas/Roy, Joker (Unexpected)
Mewtwo, Hero (Anticipated to happen at some point)
Banjo-Kazooie, Cloud (massive fan favorite thought impossible)
Bayonetta, Terry (popular through region)
Corrin, Blyth (lackluster ending).

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Fatman: ah yes, the power of six is my theory. It totally lines up

*doesn't line up*

Fatman: ah yes, the power of two is my theory. It totally lines up

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Predict
I still think we're getting a General Direct soon, whether it's January or February. Sakurai even said himself today that 6 was ready to present so I don't think the wait will be much longer.
Wait he did? I was only half paying attention

D

Deleted member

I will put the Sans mask on top of the Cuphead outfit and call him Sanshead.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Nah, the costumes that were supposed to come with Dragonborn are still very much in play. Cacomallow is probably real and we're likely getting Bethesda man and Geno around E3. Would make a ton of sense. Lloyd is overwhelmingly likely also at some point here.

But hey, we just got ****ing Byleth today so who knows
Cacomallow is probably not real at all. I don't think they would sit on not releasing finish Mii fighter costumes for months on end and Nintendo didn't once DMCA take a single video that had that footage, which is something they would of done in a heartbeat just look what was going on at the same time with Pokemon and its leak getting taken down from Youtube.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I just wanted to say that your “thank-you” theory is hilarious in hindsight if you take Byleth as Sakurai’s original idea for the last character on the roster period. It’s a very Sakurai move, though.

Firox

Smash Master
Wait, did they say the next pass will be done over the next TWO years???? Holy feck, my heart can't take this! Even if Geno DOES get in, we could have to wait another 2 years to see him! FML

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Cacomallow is probably not real at all. I don't think they would sit on not releasing finish Mii fighter costumes for months on end and Nintendo didn't once DMCA take a single video that had that footage, which is something they would of done in a heartbeat just look what was going on at the same time with Pokemon and its leak getting taken down from Youtube.
I don't believe they DMCAed videos about the Ken Leak either, so that doesn't exactly mean too much.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You can even see the exact point where it goes from the green poster to the limestone color, jesus. You can literally draw a line between them. I can't believe we cracked the code yet it still didn't matter.

kill meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.png

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well that was... something.

-= The Good =-
- Easily the best part of the Presentation: Geno's not a Mii Costume! Not that I thought he'd come this time anyways, but it's still nice to know it's not over just yet.
- The Mii Costumes they showed off were pretty good. We now have the rest of the Mega Man costumes, I legit didn't expect the Ezio costume, don't really care for the Rabbids costume, and I am deadset on buying that Cuphead costume when it drops. Overall, I rate these costumes a Sans in Smash/10.
- Another Fighter Pass! I might be alone on this, but I'm really glad they're doing it this way. I'm the kind of person who hates to leave a game incomplete, so I was most likely going to buy all of them anyways. Them doing this again makes it way beyond easy for me, and the added bonus of a new BotW Mii Costume based on one of the best armor sets in the game alongside it? Mwa!~ Molto buona!~
- The memes. Goddamn, where do I even begin? "Too many sword fighters?", "Oh, hi Mom!", Sakurai teaches us to count in binary, "JOKER NOOO! HERO NOOO! BANJO NOOO!". This presentation was a memers delight, and I can see some of these having some serious staying power.

-= The Meh =-
- Byleth. Just... Byleth. I know I'm not alone in the opinion that adding another Fire Emblem character was a pretty bad call. Yeah, I get that Fire Emblem is a massive series with a huge fanbase, especially in Japan, and I get that there are people who not only liked the idea of another Fire Emblem character, but wanted it, but... Byleth? REALLY? Another customizable avatar character with no personality to speak of? There are so many characters in the Fire Emblem series, plenty even just from this most recent game, and you go with the basic ***** avatar character?

That being said... while the characters themselves don't have much in the way of personality, their moveset is certainly inspired, and single-handedly saved them from being Corrin-tier for me. In this one character, we have Swords, Bows, Lances, and Axes to slice, stab, and bludgeon people with, which definitely makes them stand out compared to all of the other Fire Emblem characters. They're also a zoner, which definitely makes them stand out amongst the more close-combat oriented characters. Also, no counter move! Instead we have what's basically a Warlock Punch, which seems pretty deadly. Their Bow is pretty cool as well, though I feel as though we won't be seeing the fully charged arrow in high-level battles any time soon.
- I really like their stage. It's pretty cozy, and unlike most of the other Fire Emblem stages, it's actually based on locations from an actual Fire Emblem game! Who would've thought? The music selection I don't really care about.
- amiiboYEAH! Nothing to say about these, really. They exist, people like them, I don't care much at all about them.

-= The Bad =-
- They kept this a secret, of all things. Not Hero, not even Banjo, no, BYLETH is the one they tried their hardest to keep under wraps. For what purpose? What was so important about Byleth that they felt compelled to go out of their way to make sure absolutely no one knew they were coming? If anything, it probably would've helped people warm up to them a bit if we had known even a few days in advance that they were coming, like with Terry. If he hadn't of been accidentally leaked by Nintendo, I think more people would've been upset at him getting in. And if they're able to hide **** like this so well, why don't they do that with every character? Kind of weird they only did that now of all times.
- They add in a Cuphead Mii Costume, but they don't have a Mugman Mii Costume to go along with it?! You can't have Cuphead without his pal Mugman, that's inhuman! FOR SHAME!!
- WHY did they have this presentation so yearly in the morning?! Because of that, I barely got any sleep, my body is overheating, and my eyes look like two piss holes in a snowbank. Why not have it in the afternoon or something? Ahhhhhhhhh...

-= The Speculative =-
- This presentation was recorded back in November, around the time when Terry's presentation was filmed. Certainly a noteworthy detail.
- Color Theory is dead, since Byleth's color is teal/green rather than orange or brown. Not that it was going to survive much longer anyhow, since it's the end of that Fighter Pass and everything's essentially been reset. So... who's ready for Color Theory 2?
- Power of Two theory is holding up well enough, since we only got the Mega Man X and Mega Man.EXE costumes.
- The estimated delivery end time of Fighter Pass Vol. 2 is the end of December 2021, so by the end of next year. While that's certainly broad enough to not really mean anything in terms of a release schedule, I think there's a good chance we'll be getting new fighter releases more infrequently, at a rate of three this year, three the next. If that's the case, I want to die I think we're not gonna get another new fighter until E3 2020 at the earliest. Maybe we'll get one during the upcoming Direct?

-= What this means for Geno =-
- Nothing. I think we all knew that he most likely wasn't coming as FP5, and nothing revealed here outright goes against him. The Mii Fighter List and The CacoMallow Post are still going strong, and his Mii Costume is still MIA. I think this coming month up to E3 2020 is going to be very important for Geno getting in Smash. Not in a "make or break" sort of way, but more like a "most likely window" sort of way. If the Direct happens in March, I could see him getting revealed there. If not, I think E3 2020 is also a good bet, considering the previous two E3s. In general though, I still feel that Geno's pretty likely for this second Fighter Pass.

Overall, this was a decent presentation. Nothing too groundbreaking or exciting, but nothing horrible, either. Byleth drops at the end of the month, so get hype! ... or at least try to, anyway.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I still think we're getting a General Direct soon, whether it's January or February. Sakurai even said himself today that 6 was ready to present so I don't think the wait will be much longer.
Gonna need a source on that one, friend. I was pretty awake during the presentation and did not notice that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom