• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
*checks that off list*
keep going, Only a few more and I get a free cupcake
Out of context, you atsek.
"that feels like a" And if you read my previous comment you can see that I'm actually ok with the addition. I just was dissapointed expecting other 3rd party character.

Now go eat something cuz your mom loves you but I don't.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
So, for the hell of it, I'll jumble things around. I think what's going to happen is that Geno's still going to be 7 and that Dragonborn is 8. RIP Crash for E3 and RIP Ryu. Let's do a revision:

6- Sinestro
7- Geno
8- Dragonborn
9- Lloyd
10- Dante
11- No clue. Crash? Chief? Way too early.
Isn't it way far off to make speculations like that, especially since they're probably going into 2021? Also, a lot of the reason behind Dragonborn being a pick is gone now, so why are you still sticking by that?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nah, the costumes that were supposed to come with Dragonborn are still very much in play. Cacomallow is probably real and we're likely getting Bethesda man and Geno around E3. Would make a ton of sense. Lloyd is overwhelmingly likely also at some point here.

But hey, we just got ****ing Byleth today so who knows
This. Power of Two theory was still supported today by having exactly two Smash 4 costumes come back yet again. Plus, again, Skyrim is still a big deal and that doesn't go away because of this presentation.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Out of context, you atsek.
"that feels like a" And if you read my previous comment you can see that I'm actually ok with the addition. I just was dissapointed expecting other 3rd party character.

Now go eat something cuz your mom loves you but I don't.
oh ****, my bad, Yeah, My dumb eyes looked over that, sorry

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Stop listen to Fatman guys. Without Fatmans theories you would not be that salty now. Just dont believe anyone on the internet.

If Corrin is playable in Smash, Byleth deserves it 1000x more. Three Houses is an amazing strategic RPG game!

Again dont be salty and toxic. I know this is the Geno thread, but stay optimistic. There is still no Geno Mii costume! You have still a chance! Dont forget this.
Don't put this on fatman. I'd be salty about the fact that they keep going back to the fire emblem well without his influence.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Bright side, Byleth has the Fire Emblem logo, not a new one. Geno's Spirit is labeled as the Mario Icon...its slowly coming together.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I still think 6 is coming soon. Sakurai basically confirmed our theories today that Blyth was ready to present in November but they held off for the sake of polish. Another thing one of my contacts got right: only 6 characters after 5. Woof. There's going to be a lot of broken hearts in the coming months.
I don't know if its gonna be soon... I saw that the expect all the 6 new fighters to be released by December 2021.... releasing the next soon would be very very strange if they expect 6 fighters to take 2 years.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
The fact that it's a full pass gives me some hope for Geno. It's clear with Banjo that they wanted to knock out at least one very longtime request with each pass and Geno's one of the few of those left.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Uh oh, I was wrong on the internet but I think communications got frayed in some big ways. I think the order of things got hilariously ****ed up but, that's alright. Still keeping my predictions for 6 and beyond for now. Definitely a swing and a miss for 5 but, well, weirdly enough, Power of Six and Power of Two were still supported and the crippling irony is that it still wound up being a fantasy swordsman. Oh well.
And I guess my spirit theory was half right (see questioning lack of Astral Chain and Three Houses spirits a while back)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I also really enjoyed FE3H, but I’d rather have just had the music. I could’ve done without Byleth.

But every day, CacoMallow grows stronger. Also, I hope that people will stop pestering Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . He’s clearly just speculating at this point and not leaking things. Still counting on the February direct. I’ll probably also head out because oof, people are salty. Though I don’t really blame them. I just don’t participate because I can accept that people wanted Byleth too. Might not have been my choice, but it was someone’s.
Honestly, the venting directed at leakers/speculators is unfair. I think most people are getting angry about the overall Fighter Pass. It was mostly trash outside of Banjo. I haven't had a chance to watch the trailer yet but I will give Wyleth a chance. Is he another sword user? FE is so much more than swords. Even the massive character representation in Smash is garbage. Should have had some axe, spear, arrow users. The paper, rock, scissors tactics is huge in FE but not represented at all in Smash.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
One more thing before I leave. Did Sakurai say we're ONLY getting those 6 new characters, or did he make it ambiguous if we might more than that or not?

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I really am happy about Byleth joining. Fire Emblem is on of my favorite series and I fell in love with Three Houses and how Byleth could play and am super happy that they made him the way I would have. He also literally uses three other weapons like how people wanted and yet they still complain. The most common argument I've seen is "More Fire Emblem characters would be cool if they used different weapons" HE USES FOUR DIFFERENT WEAPONS AND HE BARELY HAS SWORD SLASHES SINCE HE USES THE WHIP MORE.

6 will actually get the full respect it deserves and at least 7 and 8 will be E3. This is going to be a great year.
Are you still predicting the big purple man for this spot?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Ok, I know that I'm gonna look like a salty asshole right now and ya know what? I don't even give a ****. I want you to remember that this was supposed to be our final character. They literally had this planned as the final fighter they were gonna give us for the Ultimate Smash. Another ****ing Fire Emblem character. There's no way they didn't know by this point but they still did it anyway and that's ****ing ridiculous. I understand that Smash doesn't usually end on the best reveals, but holy **** I don't think you could've dropped the ball more than this. Have they not realized by this point that adding more FE characters will just make people hate the series? Like, if anything, this only solidified the fact that I'm never buying a Fire Emblem game. Not to mention, they literally did not include Rex due to his game coming out a whole-ass year before Smash Ultimate. By the time 3 Houses was released, 3/5 fighter packs had already been announced. I didn't personally care for Joker, Hero, and Terry but I still thought they were interesting picks. This one felt like it was meant to be as aggressively uninteresting as possible. I literally zoned out from the move presentation afterwards because it looked so underwhelming.

The only good thing I have to take away is Geno's Mii costume not returning (making it more likely he'll be upgraded) and Cuphead Mii costume was pretty neat. Other than that, this was just terrible.
You're not totally wrong for feeling that way really. As a Fire Emblem fan, I believe the series does deserve a lot of reps but the amount it has is excessive. I think Marth, Robin, Ike, Byleth, and maybe Corrin since Corrin is at least quite different would do the series justice. I understand Roy because of returning fighters and being in all the way back in Melee, I understand Chrom because of the fan demand, and I understand Lucina kinda because she masquerades as Marth in Awakening and is an important female character in the game, but by no means are they necessary and they're not really adding anything. At least we finally have representation for other FE weapons with Byleth but it's like I love Castlevania but if we got 4 more Belmonts all with a similar moveset as Simon/Richter I wouldn't appreciate the new unique fighter of Dracula as much and I'd be pretty sick of the series getting reps.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
This. Power of Two theory was still supported today by having exactly two Smash 4 costumes come back yet again. Plus, again, Skyrim is still a big deal and that doesn't go away because of this presentation.
A lot of the reasoning behind Dragonborn was predicated on him being Fighter #5, wasn't it? Plus, by now the field should be way more open for Western characters to become a part of Smash now, including Bethesda and possibly Ubisoft. I'm not saying that Dragonborn isn't still possible, but you still have to acknowledge that the reasoning behind it is weaker than before.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I really am happy about Byleth joining. Fire Emblem is on of my favorite series and I fell in love with Three Houses and how Byleth could play and am super happy that they made him the way I would have. He also literally uses three other weapons like how people wanted and yet they still complain. The most common argument I've seen is "More Fire Emblem characters would be cool if they used different weapons" HE USES FOUR DIFFERENT WEAPONS AND HE BARELY HAS SWORD SLASHES SINCE HE USES THE WHIP MORE.

Are you still predicting the big purple man for this spot?
Not all of us wanted more fire emblem characters but with different weapons m8

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
One more thing before I leave. Did Sakurai say we're ONLY getting those 6 new characters, or did he make it ambiguous if we might more than that or not?
He left it ambiguous because he knows as well as we do that he can never escape what he’s created

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It sounded ambiguous, to me anyways. Of course my perception might be slanted because I would always love more smash.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I can see why a lot of people are angry at Byleth, but Three Houses did well and if people are complaining that someone else should have gotten picked like a Xenoblade rep or something else, it’s obvious that Sakurai couldn’t add Rex, or else he really would have. Either way, Byleth has debunked two fan rules:
1. Fighter’s Passes can have First and Third Party characters.
2. Characters from series already in Smash can be in a Fighter’s Pass.
Anyway, I’m just glad the first Pass is over. It was becoming pretty clear that it wasn’t going to be a character a lot of people like with how long they had to delay it, or how we didn’t get a Three Houses spirit event yet. I’m sure Pass 2 will have more characters people want, hopefully most likely including Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Was hoping Geno would be revealed super soon but I guess that's not happening. 6 isn't a bonus so they will probably be the April release given Byleth is basically due out early February. Well, Geno being an E3 announcement would be super appropriate and have the salt stacked a mile high so, the waiting game sucks, but it'll be worth it.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the venting directed at leakers/speculators is unfair. I think most people are getting angry about the overall Fighter Pass. It was mostly trash outside of Banjo. I haven't had a chance to watch the trailer yet but I will give Wyleth a chance. Is he another sword user? FE is so much more than swords. Even the massive character representation in Smash is garbage. Should have had some axe, spear, arrow users. The paper, rock, scissors tactics is huge in FE but not represented at all in Smash.
Hero and Terry were based, though?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, I really enjoyed Three Houses and am a FE fan, but on the other I understand the frustration at the number of characters now represented in Smash. That said, in a vacuum there are a couple things I really like about Byleth. They remind me of Robin in that while Robin represented the Physical/Magic split in FE games, Byleth represents the Weapon Triangle + Bows, which was something sorely needed in a FE rep. I also think that Sakurai & co really nailed the representation of 3H with the heroes relics, stage, colors, cameos, etc.

A few other observations I had:
- Geno and Chocobo costumes are still missing
- Sothis providing the snarky self-deprecating humor of "Too many sword fighters" was hilarious
- Western games are gaining even more representation via Mii Costume, so further Western reps could be more likely (Bethesda? Master Chief? Crash?)
- Rayman was suspiciously missing from an array of Ubisoft costumes, hmmmmm
- Cuphead looks awesome and Mii Costume + Song is a trend now
- It's another fighters pass, and Sakurai left it open IMO for a third pass. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed or likely, but I think sales could drive a third pass
- First party characters are possible
- Byleth had been missing as a costume and spirit for a while come to think of it
- Sakurai mentioned that they are "Moving ahead with development" on FP2. How does that impact CacoMallow?

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty excited! I'm mixed on Byleth as a reveal but love how they and 3H were portrayed. Cuphead looks awesome, and Altair is a really interesting Mii Costume addition. Six more fighters is amazing news and I can't wait to see how it plays out!

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
this december 2021 crap has me super worried ngl, really makes me feel they might actually do something like

6 feb direct 2020
7 e3 2020
8 sep direct 2020
9 jan direct 2021
10 e3 2021
11 sep direct 2021

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I don't think he specified, but these 6 characters are due out by December 2021. That's nearly 2 years. So it seems very likely that these 6 will be it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A lot of the reasoning behind Dragonborn was predicated on him being Fighter #5, wasn't it? Plus, by now the field should be way more open for Western characters to become a part of Smash now, including Bethesda and possibly Ubisoft. I'm not saying that Dragonborn isn't still possible, but you still have to acknowledge that the reasoning behind it is weaker than before.
Skyrim is still Skyrim. All that's changed is the timing. Things like Dragonborn coming with Rathalos and Monster Hunter still makes a ton of sense. Skyrim is literally one of the biggest games ever and Nintendo and Bethesda are super buddy buddy. That hasn't changed.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Hero and Terry were based, though?
Terry was dope. It was what got me to buy the Fighter's Pass in the first place. If there is one golden rule that we should expect at this point it is Death, Taxes and Fire Emblem characters.

Wish more people saw this coming.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
TBH, a lot of people are upset about the fighters pass, but outside of maybe initially hero, I think the pass has been pretty good. Byleth is really the first major disappointment, even if Terry was a who to me at first. The Joker and Banjo especially were really cool.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Because fighter pass 5 still could have been a character people wanted, freeing up a chance for geno. Now he has to fight with all the other requested characters who could have been fp5
Bro, why would FP5 be exciting? It's the last character. Chances are, people have bought the pass already. They don't need to sell the pass at this point- it's already done. It makes perfect sense to advertise a hit game that Nintendo themselves made.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
He left it ambiguous because he knows as well as we do that he can never escape what he’s created
It sounded ambiguous, to me anyways. Of course my perception might be slanted because I would always love more smash.
Hmm, interesting. I'm also on team "he'll probably make some more after that", but we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Though much as I want to see SSBU continue on further than any of us could've imagined, I can't really blame Sak if he decides to stop with this new pass. Dude worked harder in just this game than I probably will in my whole life lmao.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
This is possibly good news.

I figured we were due a female character so that was expected, just surprised she wasn’t her own character.

I’m assuming Geno’s costume and The Chocobo hat would return. So we are probably going to be getting either another square affiliated character or Geno himself somewhere.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
Skyrim is still Skyrim. All that's changed is the timing. Things like Dragonborn coming with Rathalos and Monster Hunter still makes a ton of sense. Skyrim is literally one of the biggest games ever and Nintendo and Bethesda are super buddy buddy. That hasn't changed.
Lloyd or some other swordfighter coming with those costumes also makes sense, and Minecraft was also one of the biggest games ever with Nintendo and Microsoft being super buddy-buddy, and that didn't stop Banjo from getting in. I agree with what you're saying, but it's speculation at the end of the day, and there is plenty of room for disagreement about this matter. I hope we an at least respect that much.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I just really hope Geno is the first or second character in Fighter Pass 2. I really don't wanna be very invested on this ride for much longer.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is all true, but I think he's now just on equal footing with Doom Guy, rather than having the edge.

link2702

Smash Champion
I think i'm gonna pull a random prediction now since at this point NOBODY will know who gets in, as clearly shown by this direct, Nintendo has figured out how to keep the leakers at bay, and none of us will have a clue as to who's getting in and when....

So I can only just post some characters I'd like to see/feel have a shot....

in no order;
Shantae(she's the OG indie, I feel like she's the one who's gonna make it, she may not be as popular as Shovel knight, but she Predates him)
Geno(PLEAAASE)
Purple Taco Chef
Arthas Menethil (Yes i'm predicting a WoW character, one of the most famous ones)
Another random Anime character, possibly from fire emblem again, or....We finally get that Xenoblade 2 rep but it ain't rex, Pyra/mythra together and no rex.
A Character from the dead fighting game series Bloody Roar(because why the **** not? We already have no clue what to expect from sakurai so let's go with the most random unexpected franchise I can think of.....)

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I'm gonna put my two cents on the matter and predict that Geno will kick off Season Two bringing Purple Pie Man with him as a bonus character.
PicsArt_01-16-12.42.00.jpg

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You guys want to know the worst part about this? THE GODDAMN ARTIFACT THEORY WAS RIGHT.

IT LINES UP PERFECTLY WITH THE GREEN POSTER ON THE LEFT

GOD DAMN IT.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom