• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

He may not be at the top of popularity in terms of Smash speculation; but Doom has definitely been decently discussed throughout the lifespan of Smash Ultimate. Far beyond the likes of say Crash Bandicoot, or Dark Souls.

If I was a mod who risks getting banned if I were wrong; I would definitely not use the word "unpopular" to describe Doomguy in terms of Smash speculation. Maybe in 4 or brawl; but definitely not now.

EDIT: I can't find the source of the statement, which is why I said apparently. Era has like 3 50 page+ threads discussing Smash right now; and I can't go through all of them.

My statement is based on the fact that a ton of the users there were talking about it last night.
Didn't someone say the whole "getting banned for getting speculation wrong" is not how it works? Regardless, I think a common pitfall of Smash speculation is that many people discuss popularity as a historical, and not as a current. Again, just something I notice, and my opinion is based entirely on anecdotal evidence.

I am mostly basing my idea that originally, this was all the dlc we were gonna get, and i could see, as this is the ultimate smash, sakurai wanting to end on fan requested characters. Making them spirits to throw people off guessing them i can see happening as well. Shantae and geno not appearing as spirits would have been a huge red flag for dlc possibility.
Well, because every time I asked for a source for the assumption that this DLC was the end and I've never gotten it, I just don't play by those rules, despite my lamenting the possibility when it was first presented. Shantae appearing as a spirit is honestly more surprising than her not appearing, I think, and to me neither makes her more or less likely for DLC in the long run. To invoke the name of an old theory, "Reggie was right", and this DLC was going to have characters who had never appeared in Smash before, being a spirit makes you ineligible for this Fighters Pass. Like, I'm not playing favorites when I exclude people for being a spirit because I think outside of some kind of 9th dimensional chess, Geno doesn't stand a chance, and any other spirit stands equally as little a chance.

I dont think that thumbnail means anything though. Sakurai atm seems to like the idea there is no idea, and wants it to be a hige surprise. So why ruin that with the background hinting it?
Well, the easy explanation is that it wouldn't be his fault. Some PR team member knows the full story, cropped Sakurai out of the shot and did their best to clean it up, but there's some stuff you just don't think people will notice. Even then, this only "ruins" the surprise because we have a preconceived notion of who we think it is. We could be dead wrong about Doom Guy, or even how Sakurai is positioned in the shot. There's no obvious way of telling that he's sitting at the desk like he usually is in the shot, for all we know the green could be that damn plant behind him and the brown is new wallpaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yeah but apparently another moderator came in and straight up said the character is "unpopular". And Zippo made no statement on that.

Whether they mean "unpopular" in the general sense of gaming or "unpopular" in the sense of Smash speculation isn't clear; but Doomguy doesn't qualify for both. This makes me think that the character can't be Doomguy.
You guys have got to stop taking sources for gospel

Oh yea for everyone else

I did more checking on the Sakurai cut out

I think there’s more green around sakurais elbow

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
If fp5 really is arle, gotta wonder how paragon leaker got that wrong. They got everything right to a T aside from Terry when they said it was Frisk. But that's understandable because they said they saw the megalovania track ingame and the sans mii costume, so I can definitely give the benefit of the doubt there. But how could they possibly mess up at the very end and say waluigi? What could've possibly brought them to that conclusion?

link2702

Smash Champion
So with tomorrow being the date of the final fp character, if geno somehow is it, I decided to repost some of the ideas I had for how his trailer might be, and I’m wondering which one folks here would rather have...

First one; mario, peach, and bowser are battling a red Ridley on norfair, they’re getting beat pretty bad, till suddenly a beam of light hits the Ridley and knocks him into the lava, the camera pans over to where it is, to see geno there with his gun arm pointing to where Ridley was. The mario gang starts cheering before a loud rumbling starts happening and the grey mecharidley pops out from the lava, the queue geno gameplay trailer. Anyone who’s played smrpg knows the mini boss this is referencing ;)

2nd; Rosalina is looking at pictures of all the newcomers and returning vets who didn’t make brawl or 4, and talking to an unseen character about how they were really busy granting so many wishes, before finally saying there’s just one more wish needing to be granted, music starts to change from Rosalina’s theme into geno’s awakening theme, camera fades and shifts to characters fighting on battlefield, and suddenly you hear offscreen “GENO WHIRL” as a disc flys and hits one of the characters and blasts them away, screen pans over and zooms in on geno’s splash screen.

3rd; the trailer starts out just like the smash 64 opening, complete with the old polygons, master hand grabs two characters who’ve been in each game, and when he starts his countdown to snap, each countdown quickly changes the graphics, first melee, then brawl, then 4, then ultimate at the snap the music for the opening original starts, but the camera pans back to the toybox, as you hear the music and characters fighting off camera. The toybox shakes just a little before a blue blurry figure bursts out towards the top of the screen, the camera goes back to the characters fighting before a loud crash and the character lands in the middle of the stage in a pillar of light, revealing themselves as geno.

So...which one?

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
If fp5 really is arle, gotta wonder how paragon leaker got that wrong. They got everything right to a T aside from Terry when they said it was Frisk. But that's understandable because they said they saw the megalovania track ingame and the sans mii costume, so I can definitely give the benefit of the doubt there. But how could they possibly mess up at the very end and say waluigi? What could've possibly brought them to that conclusion?
Didn't Arle's developer say that they specifically DIDN'T want their IP in Smash due to a conflict in tone between their games and Smash? If so, and Arle still gets in, it would be a classic example of how what a dev says and who Smash adds are two entirely different things.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with tomorrow being the date of the final fp character, if geno somehow is it, I decided to repost some of the ideas I had for how his trailer might be, and I’m wondering which one folks here would rather have...

First one; mario, peach, and bowser are battling a red Ridley on norfair, they’re getting beat pretty bad, till suddenly a beam of light hits the Ridley and knocks him into the lava, the camera pans over to where it is, to see geno there with his gun arm pointing to where Ridley was. The mario gang starts cheering before a loud rumbling starts happening and the grey mecharidley pops out from the lava, the queue geno gameplay trailer. Anyone who’s played smrpg knows the mini boss this is referencing ;)

2nd; Rosalina is looking at pictures of all the newcomers and returning vets who didn’t make brawl or 4, and talking to an unseen character about how they were really busy granting so many wishes, before finally saying there’s just one more wish needing to be granted, music starts to change from Rosalina’s theme into geno’s awakening theme, camera fades and shifts to characters fighting on battlefield, and suddenly you hear offscreen “GENO WHIRL” as a disc flys and hits one of the characters and blasts them away, screen pans over and zooms in on geno’s splash screen.

3rd; the trailer starts out just like the smash 64 opening, complete with the old polygons, master hand grabs two characters who’ve been in each game, and when he starts his countdown to snap, each countdown quickly changes the graphics, first melee, then brawl, then 4, then ultimate at the snap the music for the opening original starts, but the camera pans back to the toybox, as you hear the music and characters fighting off camera. The toybox shakes just a little before a blue blurry figure bursts out towards the top of the screen, the camera goes back to the characters fighting before a loud crash and the character lands in the middle of the stage in a pillar of light, revealing themselves as geno.

So...which one?
Option 3 definitely.

So if Waluigi turns out to be the next character how will you guys react especially towards the possibility of Geno coming next?

I understand but I need proof that zippo is a reliable source
Sabi trusts him so people will too. Though I only like what he said because of it increasing the chances of someone I want like Geno or Shantae. Though just because a reliable leaker trusts someone it doesn't mean we all have to trust them which I agree with. Anyone remember Vergeben putting stock into Hitagi's words? I certainly do.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Mustached Steve Buschemi somehow ends up being 5, that's still a win in my book. One of the biggest fan rules obliterated means there's nothing stopping Geno at that point aside from Sakurai straight up saying no for whatever reason.

QQS

Smash Lord
AA201D2C-EF0B-46D8-9269-C7A5EF83773A.png

This makes total sense for me, for the final mistery most requested character to finish this FP.

KKR & Ridley in the Base Roster + Banjo & Geno in the same FP. Dream come true.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Mustached Steve Buschemi somehow ends up being 5, that's still a win in my book. One of the biggest fan rules obliterated means there's nothing stopping Geno at that point aside from Sakurai straight up saying no for whatever reason.
The games would get much more exciting again like how it was before the November 2018 Smash Direct. Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Ashley, ect would all be back in the race. :)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Didn't someone say the whole "getting banned for getting speculation wrong" is not how it works? Regardless, I think a common pitfall of Smash speculation is that many people discuss popularity as a historical, and not as a current. Again, just something I notice, and my opinion is based entirely on anecdotal evidence.

Well, because every time I asked for a source for the assumption that this DLC was the end and I've never gotten it, I just don't play by those rules, despite my lamenting the possibility when it was first presented. Shantae appearing as a spirit is honestly more surprising than her not appearing, I think, and to me neither makes her more or less likely for DLC in the long run. To invoke the name of an old theory, "Reggie was right", and this DLC was going to have characters who had never appeared in Smash before, being a spirit makes you ineligible for this Fighters Pass. Like, I'm not playing favorites when I exclude people for being a spirit because I think outside of some kind of 9th dimensional chess, Geno doesn't stand a chance, and any other spirit stands equally as little a chance.

Well, the easy explanation is that it wouldn't be his fault. Some PR team member knows the full story, cropped Sakurai out of the shot and did their best to clean it up, but there's some stuff you just don't think people will notice. Even then, this only "ruins" the surprise because we have a preconceived notion of who we think it is. We could be dead wrong about Doom Guy, or even how Sakurai is positioned in the shot. There's no obvious way of telling that he's sitting at the desk like he usually is in the shot, for all we know the green could be that damn plant behind him and the brown is new wallpaper.
You bring up legit points. As for people saying it was planned to be no more then this. Didnt Fatmanonice Fatmanonice say he heard that as well, and more dlc fighters were decided around e3?

Again i freely admit i am stretching but that makes speculation fun.

Also guys, you are saying the colors are green or dark orange around sakurai right? Well that could be tied to a certain characters old logo as welll, and it fits color theory. And the brown could be shantae skin.

Again i freely admit i am super stretching.

Attachments

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
So about Arle and Carbuncle.... can we say Carbuncle is a star spirit and a distant relative of Geno?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
View attachment 257689
This makes total sense for me, for the final mistery most requested character to finish this FP.

KKR & Ridley in the Base Roster + Banjo & Geno in the same FP. Dream come true.
In a weird way, it makes sense with the fan service way of going about it. I still think Geno is perfect for Post Pass, but will be pleasantly surprised if this Pass ends with Geno.

Also, why 3 question marks? The announcement would look OK with just one ? on it. It wouldn't be speculation if we didn't overthink.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
zferolie zferolie The theory we've established is that the Fighter's Pass was originally planned to be one and done from March to November 2018, with Sakurai and co likely deciding on more in December 2018 and actual work starting in June/July 2019 for post pass.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You bring up legit points. As for people saying it was planned to be no more then this. Didnt Fatmanonice Fatmanonice say he heard that as well, and more dlc fighters were decided around e3?

Again i freely admit i am stretching but that makes speculation fun.

Also guys, you are saying the colors are green or dark orange around sakurai right? Well that could be tied to a certain characters old logo as welll, and it fits color theory. And the brown could be shantae skin.

Again i freely admit i am super stretching.
I want to believe in the half genie hero. Stop hyping me up lol!

In a weird way, it makes sense with the fan service way of going about it. I still think Geno is perfect for Post Pass, but will be pleasantly surprised if this Pass ends with Geno.

Also, why 3 question marks? The announcement would look OK with just one ? on it. It wouldn't be speculation if we didn't overthink.
It doesn't matter to me if Geno is in the Pass or post as long as he get's in that is all that matters.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
zferolie zferolie The theory we've established is that the Fighter's Pass was originally planned to be one and done from March to November 2018, with Sakurai and co likely deciding on more in December 2018 and actual work starting in June/July 2019 for post pass.
Yeah, thats what i thought, and makes sense. So its still possible when they selected spirits as well as the dlc for the first pass, they were under the assumption that was it, and wanted the last to be 2 spirits of fan requested characters getting upgraded.

Its a long shot, and not getting too assuming of it, but it COULD happen. Its more likely spirits would be upgraded in the post pass, but could still see it happen this one, especially if the idea that the final fighter also had a bonus foghter, shantae(most popular and requested indie that has a long nintendo history) and Geno(sakurai and fans have wanted him since melee) could be sakurais last hurrazah for ultimate. Or was the plann back in original development

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Hello old chap!

It's been good! Hope you've been well. I'm finishing up Something About Iceborne now, meant to have it ready in December but I injured my hand and there were holidays :x but after that I got a lot of Nintendo parodies on my list. (;

Inching closer and closer to Something About SMRPG : P
Hi Terminal! I just wanted to say that I can't thank you enough for your wonderful animations! They're always super funny while still managing to be clean. I often watch them with my youngest sister, whose current favorite is your Super Star one. She always asks when there's a new one and it's made talking with her about games (outside of Rayman) so much more fun. Thank you for that. :)

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
Given all the rumored leaks I think FP5 is somebody lowkey like Maxwell from Scribblenauts or Jason and Sophia III from Master Blaster. Somebody who would be fairly unique but not a "big name" like Dante or Sora.

There's still a fairly good chance the mii costume video leak is fake, given that if it's real it means the person leaked mii costumes from like 3+ characters down the line, and nothing more recent. Possibly they faked it assuming Doomguy would be announced alongside Terry's presentation back in November. The lack of anything indicative it MUST be on a dev build is suspect, too. But maybe it's real regardless, who knows.

I think that list of mii costumes that had Goemon and such on it but also listed Mallow and Smithy actually gives a stronger case. But we'll see I guess. Tomorrow's sure to be exciting.

Last edited:

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Arle's developer say that they specifically DIDN'T want their IP in Smash due to a conflict in tone between their games and Smash? If so, and Arle still gets in, it would be a classic example of how what a dev says and who Smash adds are two entirely different things.
I think it wasn't specifically for smash, but somebody wanted to do a Puyo world fighting game and the devs didn't allow them because they wanted to keep the violence-free world that characterized Puyo Puyo. If I'm wrong then lol

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I don't post a whole lot, but there's a Geno 4chan thread with multiple people claiming Geno was actually leaked in a thread last night, and the thread archived quickly, and due to an internal database error the thumbnail image changes to Tales of Vesperia.

Another user also confirmed there were thumbnail glitches, and that the only real responses to the supposed "leak" were "Sneed" and "Based".

One person claims it was posted to the smash reddit and quickly deleted too.

The supposed picture was Geno and some mii costume, alongside Boshi's sunglasses.

Anyone discuss this already? I can't find any information on it, but worth discussing if not already.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I don't post a whole lot, but there's a Geno 4chan thread with multiple people claiming Geno was actually leaked in a thread last night, and the thread archived quickly, and due to an internal database error the thumbnail image changes to Tales of Vesperia.

Another user also confirmed there were thumbnail glitches, and that the only real responses to the supposed "leak" were "Sneed" and "Based".

The supposed picture was Geno and some mii costume, alongside Boshi's sunglasses.

Anyone discuss this already? I can't find any information on it, but worth discussing if not already.
It's fake. A discord operation where people claimed they saw this amazing fake leak. Notice not a single person in that thread saved the image and are saying "aw man, i hope someone saved that image!" Not hard to read between the lines.

Last edited:

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Well, my wishes this time are on;

High wish: Geno, Arle (w/Amitie echo)
Mid wish: Kos-Mos
Low wish: Reimu, Quote (w/Curly echo)

Let's hope for the best~

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
It's fake. A discord operation where people claimed they saw this amazing fake leak. Notice not a single person in that thread saved the image and are saying "aw man, i hope someone saved that image!" Not hard to read between the lines.
That would make far more sense, carry on then sorry for the false alarm

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

When you're a real fan and you see that ****, you save and screencap that ***** asap! I don't believe it.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I still pose the question, who the freak is Zippo?! I tried Googling them and came up with nothing but lighters.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Plus, there are archive sites for 4chan, why don't you go there and find the leak then?

D

Deleted member

I still pose the question, who the freak is Zippo?! I tried Googling them and came up with nothing but lighters.
This is one of those kinds of questions that never gets answered so it's best to not even ask. He's just someone.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Goddammit!
PicsArt_01-15-02.04.23.png

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So is this what we are probably looking at Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?

Tomorrow: Dragonborn, the Wah, Doom Slayer, or Master Chief get's revealed.

Next Nintendo Direct: Geno get's revealed.

Upcoming E3: Crash Bandicoot and Capcom rep aka either Phoenix Wright or Dante get revealed.

September Nintendo Direct: Namco rep get's revealed Lloyd Irving, Nightmare, or Sol Badguy.

December Smash Direct or VGAs: Sora get's revealed.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Regardless of how things go down tomorrow, cheers to all of you. To our comraderie, to the wild and winding road, and to the Final Destination. Couldn't be happier to be doing this with all of you and to have been part of such a great and supporting fanbase over so many years. Now for my grandpa's traditional American toast, "here's mud in your eye; try not to slip."

IMG_20200115_110406005.jpg

(Just pretend I'm laying on the ground because MFs will try to bury me if my predictions are wrong.)

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Plus, there are archive sites for 4chan, why don't you go there and find the leak then?
The entire thread's archive had a thumbnail image error where all thumbnails were changed due to a database error (can happen when multiple people post a picture at the same time, but very rare).

The picture in question in the archive changed to a promo picture for a Tales Of game, and other pictures changed as well supposedly.

Not gonna think too much about it, though if it's a discord operation surely someone would be able to find the discord responsible pretty quickly, as 4chan's users exist everywhere and have snuck into pretty much every single one. If I knew how to use wayback machine properly I'd investigate more, but the picture from my understanding is:

Mallow Mii Costume
Boshi (either mii costume or just their glasses)
Geno (playable)

All on a Kid Icarus stage

Regardless, hoping for Geno and Doomguy tomorrow

D

Deleted member

The entire thread's archive had a thumbnail image error where all thumbnails were changed due to a database error (can happen when multiple people post a picture at the same time, but very rare).

The picture in question in the archive changed to a promo picture for a Tales Of game, and other pictures changed as well supposedly.

Not gonna think too much about it, though if it's a discord operation surely someone would be able to find the discord responsible pretty quickly, as 4chan's users exist everywhere and have snuck into pretty much every single one. If I knew how to use wayback machine properly I'd investigate more, but the picture from my understanding is:

Mallow Mii Costume
Geno (playable)

So does the thread with "changed" thumbnails exist on any archive? Like, have you seen the post by post number? Did any text in that thread mention Smash or Geno? I'm not taking stock in this but it's worth investigating.

link2702

Smash Champion
So if the worst case scenario actually happened and geno’s mii costume returned and no geno fighter....how will folks here cope with it?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Mallow Mii Costume
Geno (playable)

Imagine of the 1% chance that leak is real. Boshi could be a Echo Fighter and that would make Zinith Zinith very happy. Also, remember kids: Never put stock into anything related to 4chan.

Firox

Smash Master
This is one of those kinds of questions that never gets answered so it's best to not even ask. He's just someone.
Ah, I see. I guess I'll dismiss it as useless information then. Prolly for the best.

So if the worst case scenario actually happened and geno’s mii costume returned and no geno fighter....how will folks here cope with it?
Yeah, I guess it'll depend on the context of the reveal. For example, if Sakurai outright says "I wanted to have the real Geno but the powers that be chose to make Sephiroth a priority instead", I'd be KINDA butthurt but still pretty hyped because Sephiroth is fire and I'd pretty much understand the conflict of interest going on. Plus it could mean that sometime in the distant future, Geno could still happen. HOWEVER, if we get something idiotic like Goomba or Lego Brick and have no explanation/logic behind Geno's shaft whatsoever, I'm gonna be pissed. Like NUCLEAR pissed. Why? Because after YEARS, decades even, of reading the signs, analyzing the comments and clues, campaigning and voting, in the end, it'll look like Nintendo/Sakurai just doesn't give a ****. And maybe they'd be justified. Maybe we've just been deluded to think otherwise. Either way, I'd have no choice but to throw in the towel. Thankfully, I'm not even being biased when I say that the chances seem to be more in favor of Geno than against at this point.

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
So does the thread with "changed" thumbnails exist on any archive? Like, have you seen the post by post number? Did any text in that thread mention Smash or Geno? I'm not taking stock in this but it's worth investigating.
Just sent you a PM of pretty much everything I've seen, if you're curious. Wouldn't put too much time into it, as we'll find out tomorrow in less than 24 hours time. Just perhaps fun to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom