• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
so would you prefer Geno to be fighter #5 to finish off the Fighters Pass, anywhere in the second Fighters Pass, or a bonus fighter of his own like :ultpiranha:
Fighter 5 would be great, as would being a part of a second Fighters Pass, since it would allow him to come with a stage, music, and spirits.

If anyone's gonna be a bonus fighter, I think it'll be a character that has easily recyclable assets, such as Skinny Thanos (self-explanatory at this point) or Bandana Waddle Dee (they could use the Waddle Dee models from Brawl as a base and build from there).

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
That contact never stated Geno was a costume, what was so notable about their list was that they listed Mallow, Smithy, and Chocobo + Banjo's costumes without listing the Geno costume. Here's the original list:
Oh, sorry I misread that. I meant the costumes that went with Geno, the Mallow/Smithy costumes.

D

Deleted member

Let’s just Sakurai gives you Geno, but you must cut 10 characters in the roster. Who would it be?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Let’s just Sakurai gives you Geno, but you must cut 10 characters in the roster. Who would it be?
Corrin, Lucina, Plant, Incin, Hero, Pichu, Wii Fit, Isabelle, DP, Mii Swordfighter.
Honestly tho, would probs only want to cut the first two

D

Deleted member

Corrin, Dark Pit, Piranha Plant, Incineroar, Dr Mario, Richter, Dark Samus, Mii Gunner, Mii Sword Fighter, and Sheik
1. Ice Climbers
2. Dark Pit
3. Chrom
4. Piranha Plant
5. Dr. Mario
6. Wii Fit
7. Villager
8. Isabelle
9. Roy
10. Young Link

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
1. Ice Climbers
2. Dark Pit
3. Chrom
4. Piranha Plant
5. Dr. Mario
6. Wii Fit
7. Villager
8. Isabelle
9. Roy
10. Young Link
I couldn't part with any of the three Links because they're still all different people (unlike Dr Mario) and they all represent different series defining games for LoZ. Not to mention both Young Link and Roy are part of my 5 mains (Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, Inkling, and Kirby. Though, if Geno gets in, Roy will be excluded to fit Geno in that five). Corrin, Dark Pit, Piranha Plant, Incineroar, and the 2 Mii Fighters are the ones I don't feel too bad about cutting because they all felt like fluff to me personally. Dr Mario, Dark Samus, and Richter all still feel a bit more special and Sheik's only on there because she was only really a character for one game and feels more like a relic from a bygone era. I felt as though the Miis could work better as just being consolidated under Brawler and just called "Mii Fighter" or maybe just "Mii"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dark Pit, Lucina, Isabelle, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Corrin, Chrom, Wii Fit Trainer, Sheik, Roy.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Just gonna leave this here - I've reached the end of my patience. I'm still going to read over things and I might comment on major things if/when they happen, but otherwise -

Don't expect to see me post in this place ever again. I might change my mind, but I might not. I'll obviously celebrate when/if Geno gets in, but after that I'm gone anyway.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Lucario, Pichu, Mewtwo, Mii Fighters (Fighter, Sword, Gunner), Greninja, Dark Pit, Richter, and Duck Hunt.
(I guess I don't really enjoy how the Pokemon play, plus I didn't want to Thanos snap an entire series from being represented. Unless you count Duck Hunt has a series?)

I don't really play many Fire Emblem characters either, but their games are great.
Edit: replaced Pokemon Trainer with the 3 Mii classes, since Pokemon Trainer is sorta an anchor in the series for the first starter pokemon.

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Just gonna leave this here - I've reached the end of my patience. I'm still going to read over things and I might comment on major things if/when they happen, but otherwise -

Don't expect to see me post in this place ever again. I might change my mind, but I might not. I'll obviously celebrate when/if Geno gets in, but after that I'm gone anyway.
Sorry to see you go, but I understand. Take care, Griselda. May the stars watch over you. :starman:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

You will be missed, my friend. Sorry to see that you decided to go. You were quite a good user here.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
... where did I say that Sakurai really cares about each character. I said that he likes each character. You can have various levels of liking a character. Not everyone is a personal favorite, but at the very least he likes the character.
Is that really what you're going to get caught up on, Wynn? Seriously?
Also personal investment is extremely relevant when it comes to creator's skills. Sometimes you can put it aside to get the work done, but a lot of times people just can't do that. We have so many projects where people who don't have like the material they're working with and ends up with a shoddy product.
If you're a baker who knows how to make really good bread, and someone asks you to bake them some bread in exchange for money, but you don't quite like making bread, are you not going to make that bread? You know how to do it, you know what goes into it, you get paid for it, and all you need to do is get it done. Jesus tapdancing christ Wynn, I have no idea in hell as to why you're digging your heels into this point as hard as you are. Yes, there are people who can't or won't do something they don't want to do, but there are also people who can and will, especially for monetary compensation.

I am so ****ing sick of you assuming Sakurai's thoughts and opinions in order to make your arguments. How the hell can you honestly say what Sakurai is or isn't, what he does and doesn't like? Can you read his mind? How do you know that that Miiverse post was indicative that he hates the character? Is it not possible that he was just making a simple joke? Or perhaps a general statement about characters in general? "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it in." feels like it could fit any character ever. And it's the same thing with Geno. You keep making assumptions about Sakurai's opinions on Geno based on all sorts of stuff, even things that haven't happened yet.
Well it would be bad PR if Sakurai said he never really wanted to include Geno but wanted to give something minimal to the fans because of the request. Action speaks louder than words, so if Geno ain't Fighter #4 or #5 then I think Sakurai doesn't really care.
I know Sakurai keeps saying he likes Geno, but we also see that Geno isn't going to be the Fifth DLC Fighter. I believe that Sakurai really cares about Geno when he actually makes Geno playable, because it's so much easier to say "I hear you want him and I want him too," then following through with it.
I honestly don't know where this idea of Geno as a bonus character came from, but glad that idea is getting thrown out. There was nothing that points at a bonus character even happening and that starling pictures seems to not be about Smash Bros. I would love for Geno to get in, but with the direction things are going it seems like it's not going to happen and most likely Sakurai doesn't care. Remember, he put Piranha Plant in despite saying there limited about of space for new characters.
And they turned Waluigi into an Assist Trophy for a third time, so saying that they hear the requests means jack crap when you do nothing about it. In fact, it worst that way because they hear you but they don't care.
Well we see with Snake return, the amount of Dragon Quest content that's in and all the other stuff in Smash Bros if Sakurai really wanted a character he would get that character. At this point it honestly seems like Sakurai doesn't want Geno that much.

Also it seems like both Nintendo & Square Enix don't care enough for Geno. Remember Fortune Street that was made by both Nintendo and Square Enix that contained Mario and Dragom Quest characters, Geno wasn't included despite the collaboration work. Sure it ain't that big of a deal that Geno wasn't included in Fortune Street, but seeing how Nintendo when out of their way to pit Geno in the first Mario & Luigi game way before the demand of his return started to happen it makes you think what's going on with their reception of Geno.
The most that we can say regarding Sakurai's opinions on any character is that, unless stated otherwise, we don't know what he thinks on any character one way or the other. Sakurai making a joke at a character's expense does not mean anything with regards to his personal stance on that character. Sakurai not including a character as a playable fighter even three games in a row does not mean anything with regards to his personal stance on that character. Stop trying to assume Sakurai's intentions and opinions on things, and stop trying to use those assumptions as arguments against other people's arguments.

I present to you all, Wah the Impaler
View attachment 256812
WHERE IS THE GODDAMN GENO HAT?!

Bowser Jr., Larry Koopa, Roy Koopa, Wendy O. Koopa, Iggy Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr., Lemmy Koopa, Ludwig von Koopa, Male!Corrin, and Female!Corrin.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's pretty difficult, since there's only so much I don't mind going.

Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Daisy, Lucina, Chrom, Richter, Ken. Last three are the next issue. Isabelle I prefer as an AT, so that's not a big problem with choosing. I think FE is nice at 4. I'm tempted to cut Wii Fit Trainer, but I think nuking a franchise is silly. On the other hand, I prefer Solozard, and as much as I like Ivysaur and Squirtle I'd cut them next.

I just like the rest more. Echoes I feel are the easiest cuts to do. Ironically also the easiest to bring back(outside of licensing problems).

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
-MFW I catch up on this thread after a couple weeks off and see all the drama that made me want to take a break back in full force:

11C4C97A-314B-4329-88BB-C9AC18AB5880.jpeg

Though I really do admire people like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 for somehow staying at least semi-sane for as long as they’ve been here. I wouldn’t be able to stay for that long.

But it is nice to be back and see some people around, I’ve missed the Meme Squad (TM) and all you crazy people that make this place fun. Maybe we’ll get lucky and this place will be celebrating come next direct. Here’s hoping!

This thread when Geno is revealed for Smash next Tuesday:
27FD500D-69E7-4A3D-8B04-1C4108632376.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Is that really what you're going to get caught up on, Wynn? Seriously?

If you're a baker who knows how to make really good bread, and someone asks you to bake them some bread in exchange for money, but you don't quite like making bread, are you not going to make that bread? You know how to do it, you know what goes into it, you get paid for it, and all you need to do is get it done. Jesus tapdancing christ Wynn, I have no idea in hell as to why you're digging your heels into this point as hard as you are. Yes, there are people who can't or won't do something they don't want to do, but there are also people who can and will, especially for monetary compensation.

I am so ****ing sick of you assuming Sakurai's thoughts and opinions in order to make your arguments. How the hell can you honestly say what Sakurai is or isn't, what he does and doesn't like? Can you read his mind? How do you know that that Miiverse post was indicative that he hates the character? Is it not possible that he was just making a simple joke? Or perhaps a general statement about characters in general? "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it in." feels like it could fit any character ever. And it's the same thing with Geno. You keep making assumptions about Sakurai's opinions on Geno based on all sorts of stuff, even things that haven't happened yet.

The most that we can say regarding Sakurai's opinions on any character is that, unless stated otherwise, we don't know what he thinks on any character one way or the other. Sakurai making a joke at a character's expense does not mean anything with regards to his personal stance on that character. Sakurai not including a character as a playable fighter even three games in a row does not mean anything with regards to his personal stance on that character. Stop trying to assume Sakurai's intentions and opinions on things, and stop trying to use those assumptions as arguments against other people's arguments.

WHERE IS THE GODDAMN GENO HAT?!

Bowser Jr., Larry Koopa, Roy Koopa, Wendy O. Koopa, Iggy Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr., Lemmy Koopa, Ludwig von Koopa, Male!Corrin, and Female!Corrin.
For you
A0DB964A-CA3E-4327-9B89-21422562D6E4.jpeg

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sakurai technically explained this himself. Smash Ultimate began development in late 2015 but Nintendo didn't pitch DLC at him until early 2018. This means that the gap between the Salami Swami being an AT and Nintendo even approaching Sakurai about DLC was more than two years.
Still doesn¨t change the fact that he would be able to remove that Assist Trophy in that time window (early 2018 to November), because if he was always meant to be a DLC bonus, there is no logic in making him an Assist Trophy, to begin with. I¨m not saying that Waluigi is not able to be someone post pass, but within the timeline you state, that makes no sense what so ever. If we are truly getting a "bonus" the likes of Rex & Pyra like T2by4 T2by4 mentioned above makes more sense

Last edited:

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Olimar
Jigglypuff
Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Daisy
Simon
Toon Link
Falco
Miis
Ice Climbers

Only ones I'd actually have no issues at all with taking out are the first 2, but I had to pick 10. Put most of the echoes and semi-clones, yes, but I legally can't say Lucina since she's one of my 2 mains.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Olimar
Jigglypuff
Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Daisy
Simon
Toon Link
Falco
Miis
Ice Climbers

Only ones I'd actually have no issues at all with taking out are the first 2, but I had to pick 10. Put most of the echoes and semi-clones, yes, but I legally can't say Lucina since she's one of my 2 mains.

...Olimar?

5ybhoTOw05UM6JSec_Cg44H05k9Mm3zaAAQ2ttr395E.jpg

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Well let's see..
- Mario
- DK
- Samus
- Link
- Kirby
- Marth
- Fox
- Pikachu
- Captain Falcon
- Yoshi.

... Well, on second thought.. I think it's not a good idea to cut characters.. Isn't it? I want Geno but.. I know there's someone who likes "X" character so I think I would refuse and ask Sakurai to not add Geno if that means I have to cut some characters.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Been catching up and holy crap fatman was thinking almost the exact same thing I've been thinking about our boy Geno and Salvador Wali.
I legit think that Ultimate is gonna cap our character count to 90 slots on the CSS (plus random) for the time being and that the two I mentioned earlier are "bonus characters" that don't necessarily need a stage or a ton of music to come with them (the same can be said for a number of picks like Dixie and Sylux too).

6 / 12 will most likely be those two with 7~11 being the second fighters pass.

Fighter 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11 can be whoever the heck they pick and I'd still be happy cause we got another 12/13 characters added to the game on top of base Ultimate.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Well let's see..
- Mario
- DK
- Samus
- Link
- Kirby
- Marth
- Fox
- Pikachu
- Captain Falcon
- Yoshi.

... Well, on second thought.. I think it's not a good idea to cut characters.. Isn't it? I want Geno but.. I know there's someone who likes "X" character so I think I would refuse and ask Sakurai to not add Geno if that means I have to cut some characters.
I like your afterthought (because I agree), but... Mario, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong?

...I mean you're entitled to your own opinions, but uh... I just don't follow that line of thinking. I mean especially Mario, he is literally the face of gaming and Nintendo's mascot.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
My life, into pieces.

Every character in Smash is someone’s favorite video game character. Even

*shudders*

Corrin

So I’d sooner cast myself into the soul stone pit

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I like your afterthought (because I agree), but... Mario, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong?

...I mean you're entitled to your own opinions, but uh... I just don't follow that line of thinking. I mean especially Mario, he is literally the face of gaming and Nintendo's mascot.
I'm almost positive that he was using a rare literary technique called sarcasm to slowly dismantle the entire excercise before even stating his disinterest in it.

( :ultpacman: )

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Here I am again, days after I said I'd come back. I should probably just stop promising stuff here lol. But I might actually stick around now.

That's unfortunate to hear, but I do understand. I don't know about anyone else but I'll miss you here for sure. Stay strong either way.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Purple Pie Man going to Sakurai's house to discuss his inclusion:
+"What are you doing here?"
-"i'm going to come inside, sit on the couch and wait until midnight to become fighter #76 so invite me in, Sakurai."
PicsArt_01-12-01.17.56.jpg

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Using the bread analog doesn't really work. Yeah if someone wants to buy bread and know how to make then you're probably going to make it; however making a character isn't that simple. Each charactee is different, just because you know how to make characters doesn't mean you know how to make every character playable. Like Sakurai said, he wanted to include Heihachi but doesn't know how to. Also Nintendo isn't paying Sakurai to include certain characters, for majority they're allowing Sakurai to pick what he wants. They give Sakurai a lot of creative freedom when it comes to characters, they even made a list for DLC but allowed Sakurai to pick out the characters. He's not being forced to make certain characters. If Sakurai wants the character then he'll make the character, and it doesn't seem like Nintendo is going to force him to include any certain character any time soon.

I look at Sakurai's action and words to come to my conclusion. If Sakurai wants to include the character then he'll try. I don't think Sakurai really cares about making Waluigi playable, but if people want to believe that Waluigi still has a shot at being playable then fine. We'll see what happen, but I ain't holding my breath.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Using the bread analog doesn't really work. Yeah if someone wants to buy bread and know how to make then you're probably going to make it; however making a character isn't that simple. Each charactee is different, just because you know how to make characters doesn't mean you know how to make every character playable. Like Sakurai said, he wanted to include Heihachi but doesn't know how to. Also Nintendo isn't paying Sakurai to include certain characters, for majority they're allowing Sakurai to pick what he wants. They give Sakurai a lot of creative freedom when it comes to characters, they even made a list for DLC but allowed Sakurai to pick out the characters. He's not being forced to make certain characters. If Sakurai wants the character then he'll make the character, and it doesn't seem like Nintendo is going to force him to include any certain character any time soon.

I look at Sakurai's action and words to come to my conclusion. If Sakurai wants to include the character then he'll try. I don't think Sakurai really cares about making Waluigi playable, but if people want to believe that Waluigi still has a shot at being playable then fine. We'll see what happen, but I ain't holding my breath.
If you are wrong, could you maybe WAH-ify your profile picture? Just a little fun wager.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I found a pretty neat Forest Maze stage you should check out if you are looking for new custom stages to try out.

ID: M98R6TWN

As for what 10 characters I would cut for one character? (Geno)

Piranha Plant (For Sure)
Dr. Mario
Corrin
Joker
Pichu
Dark Pit
Duck Hunt
Little Mac
Zelda
Mewtwo

Not as many swords as I was expecting

D

Deleted member

I refuse to cut even 1 character for the sake of Geno. Sorry

That's not fair to the character or those who like the character either. I know it's all in jest and good fun but, no. I refuse to participate. It's just going to offer more fuel to the haters that want us shut down. It's not the first time we've played along with this and they ate that **** up. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but I think we should be careful with these kind of "games".

Geno wouldn't want this. ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom