• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I always imagined Geno would have an unnecessarily deep and man-ish voice, one that doesn't suit his appearance but hints at his true strength in a roundabout way.
If we're going this direction for Geno's voice, my choice of VA for that would be Zach Aguilar, specifically using the same voice he did for Genos (heh) from the English dub of One-Punch Man. It's not Jamieson Price-levels of deep, but it's nonetheless a deep voice that I can picture coming from Geno.

Speaking of One-Punch Man's English dub, there's also Max Mittelman, the voice of Saitama... and also the voice of the Chimera Ant King from the dub of Hunter X Hunter, another deep voice I could see Geno having.

Last edited:

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
For Geno's voice, I've said this before but I'll say it again... I'm a purist. Geno should have no voice whatsoever; just give him original sound effects from SMRPG and call it a day.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I choose Vic Mignogna as the voice for Geno. :)
I agree that Vic would be a good Geno, but I could also see Johnny Yong Bosch filling the role and doing it well.

However, I see Todd Haberkorn as an incredible fit for Geno.

I think hearing Todd's voice yelling out, "Yo, Smithy!" is too perfect.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
I agree that Vic would be a good Geno, but I could also see Johnny Yong Bosch filling the role and doing it well.

ngl i thought you said Johnny Bravo

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Omg, are we still using that GameXplain video as an indicator that Geno & Waluigi are getting in?.
:sleepy: In other news, local guy insults weather for being based on predictions.
Also don't you know how to read? the title is right there.. And it surely isn't "Geno and Waluigi in smash"

Geno is cool. eat a donut.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Not to sound arrogant, but who has Todd Haberkorn done the voices of?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure Nintendo is generally going to avoid voice actors that have any notable... baggage with them. I doubt it's something they want to deal with.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure Nintendo is generally going to avoid voice actors that have any notable... baggage with them. I doubt it's something they want to deal with.
that being said, a ja[anise voiceactor who could be good for geno coud be the guy who voiced Sebastian michaeles in black butler!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's mostly Union voice actors right? Because I have heard that was one of the reasons the original voice actors for Palutena and Viridi didn't come back to voice them again in Ultimate because of certain Union actors not coming back to a voice a character in a game unless they're getting paid really well if I'm not mistaken.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Not to sound arrogant, but who has Todd Haberkorn done the voices of?
Natsu from Fairy Tail, Ling from Full Metal Alchemist, Death the Kid from Soul Eater, Jaco from Dragon Ball Super, and he also voices Joshua, Siegbert, and Morgan in Fire Emblem Heroes.

To name a few.

Considering the groups said baggage tends to be associated with, we have various characters in Smash Ultimate already being voiced by "baggage-relative" actors, and it's not been a problem thus far.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Reminder that after Kirb’s... stuff, Nintendo patched his voice out of Three Houses

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Considering the groups said baggage tends to be associated with, we have various characters in Smash Ultimate already being voiced by "baggage-relative" actors, and it's not been a problem thus far.
Voice actors work with a lot of other voice actors, that's normal. Just because someone worked with someone in the past doesn't mean that they have the same problems with getting hired.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Natsu from Fairy Tail, Ling from Full Metal Alchemist, Death the Kid from Soul Eater, Jaco from Dragon Ball Super, and he also voices Joshua, Siegbert, and Morgan in Fire Emblem Heroes.

To name a few.

Vic's Geno would be like:
PicsArt_01-04-06.10.37.jpg

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Going back to the list of ten names you had heard (Geno, Crash, Hayabusa, Dante, Lloyd, Nightmare, Sol, Waluigi, Geralt and an unknown tenth name), was Dovahkiin the last name?
You missed a pretty epic post, Nicnac pattywhack

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2162#post-23763798

But yeah. I kind of imagine Geno as a "charging Mega Man" if that makes sense? Like... like Mega Man the better part of his attacks are projectile based, but UNLIKE Mega Man, many of his specials can be CHARGED and maybe they wedge the Timed Hits mechanic into there. Like... the regular attacks are his finger guns or the rocket fist for a Smash attack and whatnot, but then you can HOLD B to CHARGE UP the Geno Beam, or HOLD Side B and charge up Geno Whirl and so on

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Reminder that after Kirb’s... stuff, Nintendo patched his voice out of Three Houses
While the slated reason for the removal was that he broke NDA(His controversy revealed that he bragged about the role), I think it's pretty likely that they would've done something even if that wasn't the case. It just made the process easier.

Also, can we just say how quick they got another VA to replace him? Byleth got into Heroes not too long after that and they already got the new VA voicing him.

Nicnac

Smash Ace

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I read it, I was just a little confused as to whether the last potential fighter Fatman's been talking about hearing was Dovahkiin or not, because we only didn't hear one name out of the ten, and I'm wondering if that was Dovahkiin, as he's been not-so-subtly hinting at him for a while.
I'm interested in knowing this as well. The most he was willing to say is that it was a first party character completely new to smash but older than about summer 2017. Your guess is as good as mine as to who fulfills that.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I has question. From your tenure in the Circle and since up to now, were both Dovahkiin and Doomguy heard amongst insiders? How far back had they first been heard? Which one was heard first, and which one has been heard more amongst the people you have/had contact with?

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
My opinion about the assist trophy promotion discussion is that characters with a longer request history should be given priority over others. Isaac has been extremely requested since before the Brawl days. Golden Sun came out right around Melee's release so there wasn't enough time for people to want Isaac, but pretty much right after Melee's release people started requesting him for the inevitable Melee sequel. That's why I think he should be promoted before Waluigi, since Waluigi's support wasn't really great until the Smash 4 speculation days.

That's also why I think Geno should be added before any assist trophy promotions. Geno is the only character left who has been highly requested since the Melee days. I think it'd be unfair to skip ahead to the assist trophy promotions without finishing the last of the longest requested characters.
Give my latest Waluigi vs. Isaac promotion post a read if you haven't, because I'm going to expand upon my thoughts.

The trouble with Isaac is that Nintendo likely doesn't know how much people like Golden Sun and/or Isaac as a character. That's because I feel as if Golden Sun fans don't talk loud enough.

Nintendo has been shown to listen more often than not (at the very least they acknowledge the popularity of something). Golden Sun fans haven't really shown up in droves to demand anything I feel. Their last chance was Dark Dawn, and they didn't really prove to Nintendo that Golden Sun needed to be a thing back then. Regardless of Dark Dawn's quality to fans, to problem is that money still talks. When you have a more niche game franchise not selling well, that just tells Nintendo to not bother. Unfortunately, the same thing likely happened to Chibi-Robo. Whereas let's looks at Fire Emblem:

Fire Emblem: Awakening was going to be the last game in the series because sales for the series were on the decline. Regardless whether or not Awakening was going to go down as a fan favorite or not, if Awakening didn't sell, Fire Emblem would be no more. Luckily, it did. It proved to Nintendo that the series was successful. And because of that, they tried more games. Fates didn't sell the greatest, and Shadows of Valentia sold a bit better, but not close to Awakening levels. To Nintendo, this doesn't tell them that the series just doesn't matter too much, but that there is a style people may favor (they probably realize that more than ever with Three Houses). Unfortunately, if games in a more niche franchise keep selling less and less, the series just isn't going to cut the mustard in Nintendo's eyes.

All in all, I think Golden Sun fans need to speak up more. I would wager a bet that Shadow fans had more of an outcry than Isaac fans. None of what I've said here is ANYTHING demeaning towards Golden Sun and Isaac fans, I'm just saying that if they want to be recognized that they need to speak up more. Take Xenoblade Chronicles fans, because of them, the game was brought to the west and is now one of Nintendo's biggest RPG franchises that is continuing to steadily grow. Another niche franchise being the Mother/EarthBound games aren't that well known too. But you know what, the fans are SO vocal that Nintendo definitely knows of their existence (I mean Reggie talked about Mother 3 God knows how many times due to fans). Do you see what I mean? Metroid is in a similar position as well; the series doesn't sell the best, but because the fans are so vocal, Nintendo knows a lot of people care about the franchise. I just don't think Nintendo knows how popular Golden Sun is, so why would they push for Isaac to be an Assist Trophy when Waluigi is... well, I explained it in my previous post.

Basically, declining sales PLUS no major fan outcry equals a franchise not being on Nintendo's radar.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's my position regarding the next two characters. Personally, I think Fighter #5 is probably a Bandai Namco rep like Kos-Mos since she was never officially deconfirmed, just the rumors mentioning her were debunked or possibly a Western rep that may not be from Bethesda. Geno seems to fit the bonus character individual DLC pattern better than being part of a second pass given that he's not connected to Square's biggest IPs.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Howdy all, I've been lurking in the shadows since I was tired of the Smash Speculation scene (and still am mostly) I am, and will always be a Geno supporter but needed a good break. I'm popping my head out again since a Direct must be in coming since we have the next Amiibo wave incoming AND Gamestop SKU's have appeared ... so it must be coming. There has to be an announcement for Smash since the February deadline is quickly upon us. Yes, we know it will not be Geno but he has a decent chance in the next wave of DLC! But who knows, there could be a reveal of the first and/or second character for the next round that can be our star puppet!

As for the rumors/specualtion of a "bonus" fighter for the first pass ... is it me or would it make more sense that it is a 1st(maybe 2nd) party character? I speculate this since IF there was always a plan for a "bonus" fighter (thinking more like Mewtwo compared to PPlant) since if it was a 3rd party ... Nintendo would be losing money for a bonus. So financially, using a 3rd party "bonus" would be losing money since there isn't a profit, let alone any monetary compensation to "break even" if they did that. However, if it is a 1st (maybe 2nd) party character ... it comes at "no cost."

Just some food for thought I was thinking specifically on the topic of a bonus fighter for the Fighter's Pass.

Go Geno for next DLC baby! Ok, back to lurking until the eventual Nintendo Direct.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Give my latest Waluigi vs. Isaac promotion post a read if you haven't, because I'm going to expand upon my thoughts.

The trouble with Isaac is that Nintendo likely doesn't know how much people like Golden Sun and/or Isaac as a character. That's because I feel as if Golden Sun fans don't talk loud enough.

Nintendo has been shown to listen more often than not (at the very least they acknowledge the popularity of something). Golden Sun fans haven't really shown up in droves to demand anything I feel. Their last chance was Dark Dawn, and they didn't really prove to Nintendo that Golden Sun needed to be a thing back then. Regardless of Dark Dawn's quality to fans, to problem is that money still talks. When you have a more niche game franchise not selling well, that just tells Nintendo to not bother. Unfortunately, the same thing likely happened to Chibi-Robo. Whereas let's looks at Fire Emblem:

Fire Emblem: Awakening was going to be the last game in the series because sales for the series were on the decline. Regardless whether or not Awakening was going to go down as a fan favorite or not, if Awakening didn't sell, Fire Emblem would be no more. Luckily, it did. It proved to Nintendo that the series was successful. And because of that, they tried more games. Fates didn't sell the greatest, and Shadows of Valentia sold a bit better, but not close to Awakening levels. To Nintendo, this doesn't tell them that the series just doesn't matter too much, but that there is a style people may favor (they probably realize that more than ever with Three Houses). Unfortunately, if games in a more niche franchise keep selling less and less, the series just isn't going to cut the mustard in Nintendo's eyes.

All in all, I think Golden Sun fans need to speak up more. I would wager a bet that Shadow fans had more of an outcry than Isaac fans. None of what I've said here is ANYTHING demeaning towards Golden Sun and Isaac fans, I'm just saying that if they want to be recognized that they need to speak up more. Take Xenoblade Chronicles fans, because of them, the game was brought to the west and is now one of Nintendo's biggest RPG franchises that is continuing to steadily grow. Another niche franchise being the Mother/EarthBound games aren't that well known too. But you know what, the fans are SO vocal that Nintendo definitely knows of their existence (I mean Reggie talked about Mother 3 God knows how many times due to fans). Do you see what I mean? Metroid is in a similar position as well; the series doesn't sell the best, but because the fans are so vocal, Nintendo knows a lot of people care about the franchise. I just don't think Nintendo knows how popular Golden Sun is, so why would they push for Isaac to be an Assist Trophy when Waluigi is... well, I explained it in my previous post.

Basically, declining sales PLUS no major fan outcry equals a franchise not being on Nintendo's radar.
Fates sold better than Awakening at the end. So i think that proved Nintendo the real potential of fire emblem, because all the big projects like fe heroes. Three houses. Warriors and echoes came after the release of fates.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I has question. From your tenure in the Circle and since up to now, were both Dovahkiin and Doomguy heard amongst insiders? How far back had they first been heard? Which one was heard first, and which one has been heard more amongst the people you have/had contact with?
No and no. Only Western characters ever brought up were Geralt and Crash. Doomguy only came up because of Cacomallow and Dragonborn is also only about a month old too.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My opinion about the assist trophy promotion discussion is that characters with a longer request history should be given priority over others. Isaac has been extremely requested since before the Brawl days. Golden Sun came out right around Melee's release so there wasn't enough time for people to want Isaac, but pretty much right after Melee's release people started requesting him for the inevitable Melee sequel. That's why I think he should be promoted before Waluigi, since Waluigi's support wasn't really great until the Smash 4 speculation days.

That's also why I think Geno should be added before any assist trophy promotions. Geno is the only character left who has been highly requested since the Melee days. I think it'd be unfair to skip ahead to the assist trophy promotions without finishing the last of the longest requested characters.
Having a handful of requests during Melee =/= highly requested since Melee. I think it's crazy people try to claim those 5 votes on a 20 year old poll should count for much of anything. Geno's popularity started during the Brawl era as an actual serious request wanted by a significant number of people.

Isaac really was not a huge character request until the Smash 4 days as well, so he's about on par with Waluigi. Again, he was wanted before hand, but Brawl wasn't really his era either to be honest.

I don't even really see why "how long" should matter as much as "how many fans" support the character.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Here's my position regarding the next two characters. Personally, I think Fighter #5 is probably a Bandai Namco rep like Kos-Mos since she was never officially deconfirmed, just the rumors mentioning her were debunked or possibly a Western rep that may not be from Bethesda. Geno seems to fit the bonus character individual DLC pattern better than being part of a second pass given that he's not connected to Square's biggest IPs.
Harada confirmed that Xenosaga is not popular enough to warrant a remake/remaster of the series so it was scrapped.

There goes they idea of KOS-MOS.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The thing that sucks right now is nobody knows when a Direct is aside from "soon." I'm still thinking this week based on past patterns but that could easily change. It doesn't "have" to be this week but I'm at a point where I just want the next couple of characters revealed so we can move on our lives. If I'm right about Geno, my eyes are going to be boiling in my own skull if we're having this same conversation this time next week...

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
No and no. Only Western characters ever brought up were Geralt and Crash. Doomguy only came up because of Cacomallow and Dragonborn is also only about a month old too.
So what does that mean as far as FP5 then? It seems like everybody else had been heard for a while prior to their reveal, but the two of them only just recently showed their faces timeline-wise, which is kind of weird. I completely understand why someone like Lloyd would have made more sense since they've been in the speculation scene for quite a while, but does it affect the chances of it being a Bethesda character at all if despite evidence that they've been in contact with Nintendo regarding Smash Bros since around the time DLC started last year, nobody even heard a Bethesda character for FP5 until a month ago (and Doomguy only once the Mii Costume video showed up)?

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
So what does that mean as far as FP5 then? It seems like everybody else had been heard for a while prior to their reveal, but the two of them only just recently showed their faces timeline-wise, which is kind of weird. I completely understand why someone like Lloyd would have made more sense since they've been in the speculation scene for quite a while, but does it affect the chances of it being a Bethesda character at all if despite evidence that they've been in contact with Nintendo regarding Smash Bros since around the time DLC started last year, nobody even heard a Bethesda character for FP5 until a month ago (and Doomguy only once the Mii Costume video showed up)?
I think all it means is that no one really has a complete picture of what FP5 actually is, and the contacts themselves have probably different peices of info pointing different directions right now.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Harada confirmed that Xenosaga is not popular enough to warrant a remake/remaster of the series so it was scrapped.

There goes they idea of KOS-MOS.
Just because they scrapped the remaster doesn't mean that's enough for a deconfirmation. Banjo didn't get one either may I remind you

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The thing that sucks right now is nobody knows when a Direct is aside from "soon." I'm still thinking this week based on past patterns but that could easily change. It doesn't "have" to be this week but I'm at a point where I just want the next couple of characters revealed so we can move on our lives. If I'm right about Geno, my eyes are going to be boiling in my own skull if we're having this same conversation this time next week...
I'm honestly going to be very surprised if it's not next week. What has me convinced is the fact that the online service is getting a maintenance period for what should be a routine firmware upgrade

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If something big was coming like say, actual themes and a theme store, that's definitely Direct worthy.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Nothing. It means absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom