• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Also what exactly is a "Sans-level Mii Costume"? Nothing about that costume was that far out of what had been done with Mii Costumes in the past.
Seriously? Have you not seen how terrible the Mii Costume are when compared to the actual characters?
Polish_20191223_004206930.jpg
Polish_20191223_004057583.jpg
Polish_20191223_004121564.jpg
lgIKjfH.png

Then you got cream of the crop Mii Costume that, honest to God, could've easily be mistaken for a real fighter because it matches so well
sans-smash.png

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hinata Hinata You're not wrong in your arguments, those scenarios could happen, but my arguments are that the precedent has been established that it's not likely. Like I said in an earlier post, it's not a matter of absolutes, it's a matter of probability. For example, of Smash 4 full costumes or Mii hats that have returned to Smash Ultimate, we have about 70 so far. Of those 70, like I said, the only "upgrades" so far have been minor graphical touch ups. So, imagine that Geno's Mii costume was absolutely guaranteed to be the next one shown. It's Christmas Day, "**** you Geno fans, love Sakurai." Geno is number 71 and it's how you proposed, a complete reworking. So, on a basic and simple to understand level, this scenario is 1/71 or about 0.014 or 1.4%. This means that 98.6% of the Mii costumes weren't upgraded beyond some touch ups. Again, you're right, it COULD happen but in we've established it's almost a one out of a hundred scenario. Needless to say, those aren't great odds.

Tomasagaz14

Banned via Warnings
That idea has been pitched but my issues with it are:

-Why didn't they just release this with Hero then, especially in the light that Hero and Banjo were "done" around the same time? If Sans with music was ready around the time Sakurai recorded Hero's presentation, why wasn't Geno?
Maybe just because they didn't work with Geno around Hero's releases, but only with the DQ costumes? I don't see what's the problem with it, given that the costumes doesn't has to tie with the company, Geno's costume can come anytime.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hinata Hinata You're not wrong in your arguments, those scenarios could happen, but my arguments are that the precedent has been established that it's not likely. Like I said in an earlier post, it's not a matter of absolutes, it's a matter of probability. For example, of Smash 4 full costumes or Mii hats that have returned to Smash Ultimate, we have about 70 so far. Of those 70, like I said, the only "upgrades" so far have been minor graphical touch ups. So, imagine that Geno's Mii costume was absolutely guaranteed to be the next one shown. It's Christmas Day, "**** you Geno fans, love Sakurai." Geno is number 71 and it's how you proposed, a complete reworking. So, on a basic and simple to understand level, this scenario is 1/71 or about 0.014 or 1.4%. This means that 98.6% of the Mii costumes weren't upgraded beyond some touch ups. Again, you're right, it COULD happen but in we've established it's almost a one out of a hundred scenario. Needless to say, those aren't great odds.
This is a misleading use of statistics though. Each Mii costume has an independent chance of being upgraded that the status of the others doesn't necessarily directly impact (which is much more complex thing to figure out since we certainly don't have the data available to draw any such conclusions). If you flip a coin 70 times and it lands on heads every time, the 71st flip still has a (roughly since we can consider a relatively tiny percentage of flips to land on neither) 1/1 odds of landing on tails the next time. Yes, Geno's upgrade would account for only 1.4% of the returning Mii Costumes in a comparatively unique way, but the odds of it happening are independent from that 1.4%. It's also worth pointing out that even in your analysis, it may be more relevant to analyze the returning DLC Mii costumes and not the entirety of Mii costumes returning in Ultimate given there was an extremely clear first party/third party divide that ensured no third party Mii costumes returned to base game and they are clearly treated differently from the other costumes. It's also worth pointing out, that of the Mii costumes returning in Smash Ultimate, none have been of majorly requested characters thus far as those all got in as playable as base game, so there may be an entirely different circumstance to consider there. Lloyd and Geno are the biggest requested costumes left from Smash 4 DLC, and they are also the two costumes we still do not have in Smash Ultimate DLC. Furthermore, we do see extra effort given towards requested characters turned into Mii costumes. We got a Mii fighter for Isaac for example after not having one in addition to an Assist Trophy and we saw that Sans not only came with one of the best looking Mii costumes ever, but specifically also came with the first ever additional music DLC outside of new characters and stages.

Which is to say that this is significantly more complicated than you're implying and you're being overly reductionist in your analysis. The Mii fighter costume stuff has always been one of the weakest points this thread utilizes because it requires so many assumptions and also hand-waving of other facts. Take Chocobo's Mii costume as a prime suspect. Why was this costume cut from Hero's lineup then? You can't really make a point as to this "giving away playable Geno" because everybody still assumed that to be the case when Geno wasn't with Hero and people drew those conclusions exactly the same (nor does Sakurai really engage in that ridiculous of 4D chess with the fan base to begin with). You can't say it was because there was a need to "keep the returning Mii costumes even" because the "power of six" theory actively assumes that Heihachi was a part of Terry's Mii costume lineup originally, which put Terry at coming with 3 returning costumes (either that's the case, or there were more costumes supposed to come with Terry, or there were never 6 to begin with, either option largely busting the power of six theory). There's really no reason to cut Chocobo if he was planned to release alongside Hero. Geno doesn't inherently need to come with a Square Enix Mii costume (as exemplified by Banjo & Kazooie coming with no Microsoft or Banjo related costumes) and its absence achieves precisely nothing. Similarly, the Team Rocket Grunt as a replacement is one of the hugest stretches I've ever heard in speculation given the fact that it again presumes a ton of unsubstantiated stuff. Namely, it assumes that Banjo was intended to have 6 costumes, but they decided to cut 2 of them and yet for some reason offer a replacement when they were perfectly fine giving just 4 costumes out with Hero (and Sans would have carried that wave plenty to be quite frankly honest, nor do I think they specifically care about if people perceive the Mii costumes released as "enough" to necessitate a replacement). I just don't think much of the Mii costume stuff holds up to scrutiny to be completely honest. There's more holes in it than Swiss cheese.

Why isn't it enough to just say his Mii costume didn't show up and that's good for us? Why do we have to create this overly elaborate theory that has so many issues and assumptions with really no basis in reality outside of some extremely circumstantial evidence that is, at best, not conclusive towards the proposed theory? It has just always felt like making a theory first and working backwards to justify the individual conclusions of said theory with the decisions made in Ultiamte's Mii figther DLC instead of building to a theory through the pieces of evidence.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe just because they didn't work with Geno around Hero's releases, but only with the DQ costumes? I don't see what's the problem with it, given that the costumes doesn't has to tie with the company, Geno's costume can come anytime.
Here's the thing though, I've already gone into great detail about how there's decent evidence that when the Fighter's Pass was one and done, the original plan was to bring back all 15 of Smash 4's third party DLC costumes. I've made several posts on the topic but to summarize:

-Joker: Tails and Knuckles (2) (All SEGA)
-Hero: Chocobo and Geno (2) (All Square)
-Banjo: Zero, EXE, X, and Protoman (4) (All Megaman)
-Terry: Akira, Jacky, and Heihachi (3) (All fighting games)
-Kathy Bates: Lloyd, Gil, Rathalos, and Monster Hunter (4) (All swords, most armor and helmets)

Thanks to ForsakenM ForsakenM , we have a strong theory that Season 2 was probably pitched as early as last December and green lit as late as E3 2019 so, based on this abrupt change of plans, the simple omission of Geno and Chocobo with Hero makes a lot of sense, especially if we follow the theory that every pass was originally meant to have 6 Mii costumes like Joker.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai holds off the Geno costume for the very last DLC fighter, that would be a crappy move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is a misleading use of statistics though. Each Mii costume has an independent chance of being upgraded that the status of the others doesn't necessarily directly impact (which is much more complex thing to figure out since we certainly don't have the data available to draw any such conclusions). If you flip a coin 70 times and it lands on heads every time, the 71st flip still has a (roughly since we can consider a relatively tiny percentage of flips to land on neither) 1/1 odds of landing on tails the next time. Yes, Geno's upgrade would account for only 1.4% of the returning Mii Costumes in a comparatively unique way, but the odds of it happening are independent from that 1.4%. It's also worth pointing out that even in your analysis, it may be more relevant to analyze the returning DLC Mii costumes and not the entirety of Mii costumes returning in Ultimate given there was an extremely clear first party/third party divide that ensured no third party Mii costumes returned to base game and they are clearly treated differently from the other costumes. It's also worth pointing out, that of the Mii costumes returning in Smash Ultimate, none have been of majorly requested characters thus far as those all got in as playable as base game, so there may be an entirely different circumstance to consider there. Lloyd and Geno are the biggest requested costumes left from Smash 4 DLC, and they are also the two costumes we still do not have in Smash Ultimate DLC. Furthermore, we do see extra effort given towards requested characters turned into Mii costumes. We got a Mii fighter for Isaac for example after not having one in addition to an Assist Trophy and we saw that Sans not only came with one of the best looking Mii costumes ever, but specifically also came with the first ever additional music DLC outside of new characters and stages.

Which is to say that this is significantly more complicated than you're implying and you're being overly reductionist in your analysis. The Mii fighter costume stuff has always been one of the weakest points this thread utilizes because it requires so many assumptions and also hand-waving of other facts. Take Chocobo's Mii costume as a prime suspect. Why was this costume cut from Hero's lineup then? You can't really make a point as to this "giving away playable Geno" because everybody still assumed that to be the case when Geno wasn't with Hero and people drew those conclusions exactly the same (nor does Sakurai really engage in that ridiculous of 4D chess with the fan base to begin with). You can't say it was because there was a need to "keep the returning Mii costumes even" because the "power of six" theory actively assumes that Heihachi was a part of Terry's Mii costume lineup originally, which put Terry at coming with 3 returning costumes (either that's the case, or there were more costumes supposed to come with Terry, or there were never 6 to begin with, either option largely busting the power of six theory). There's really no reason to cut Chocobo if he was planned to release alongside Hero. Geno doesn't inherently need to come with a Square Enix Mii costume (as exemplified by Banjo & Kazooie coming with no Microsoft or Banjo related costumes) and its absence achieves precisely nothing. Similarly, the Team Rocket Grunt as a replacement is one of the hugest stretches I've ever heard in speculation given the fact that it again presumes a ton of unsubstantiated stuff. Namely, it assumes that Banjo was intended to have 6 costumes, but they decided to cut 2 of them and yet for some reason offer a replacement when they were perfectly fine giving just 4 costumes out with Hero (and Sans would have carried that wave plenty to be quite frankly honest, nor do I think they specifically care about if people perceive the Mii costumes released as "enough" to necessitate a replacement). I just don't think much of the Mii costume stuff holds up to scrutiny to be completely honest. There's more holes in it than Swiss cheese.

Why isn't it enough to just say his Mii costume didn't show up and that's good for us? Why do we have to create this overly elaborate theory that has so many issues and assumptions with really no basis in reality outside of some extremely circumstantial evidence that is, at best, not conclusive towards the proposed theory? It has just always felt like making a theory first and working backwards to justify the individual conclusions of said theory with the decisions made in Ultiamte's Mii figther DLC instead of building to a theory through the pieces of evidence.
Two words: Occam's Razor. Power of Six Theory actually simplifies things by making the following statements:

-Every Pass was originally meant to have 6 Mii costumes like Joker.

-The original plan was to bring back all 15 Smash 4 DLC costumes across 5 passes.

-The Mii costumes in each pass thematically fit together and this appears to be deliberate.

... That's literally it. That's Power of Six in a nutshell. There's a few other things but it took me about as long to type that as it does to make my morning coffee.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So if the Mii Costume leak is real, we will be getting A Mallow and Smithy costume. Has a 3rd party series ever gotten more than 2 Mii costumes without also having a playable rep? I don’t think they would add those 2 if Geno isn’t playable.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So if the Mii Costume leak is real, we will be getting A Mallow and Smithy costume. Has a 3rd party series ever gotten more than 2 Mii costumes without also having a playable rep? I don’t think they would add those 2 if Geno isn’t playable.
I can’t think of any, Virtua Fighter has 2 and did Monster Hunter get 2 in Smash 4 or am I crazy? The argument of whether or not Super Mario RPG is its own series is a thing of course but I have a hard time believing they’d add three mii costumes not tied to any character

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Imagine wishing for a scenario that would make no one happy.
Yeah I think a “revamped” Geno costume with a song coming along with Mallow and Smithy SMRPG costumes is nonsense. Who does that even fully satisfy? Basically just the “we should be thankful for every bit of content in the game and who are we to judge as the paying consumer?” crowd.

There is little to no point to hold back Geno’s costume just to give it to us after the pass anyways. The time came and went for when it would’ve returned if it was going to. Of course there’s still a chance that happens, but it’s extremely slim.

It makes way too much sense that a good portion of wave 2 will be characters with some assets already available to the dev team. If Geno isn’t in by character #7, then I’ll start to piss my pants. Until then or until new evidence comes out to the contrary, I am walking on sunshine

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, guys... It's okay to disagree with me on stuff... I'm not Tinkerbell. I'm not going to spontaneously die if not enough people believe or agree with my posts. It's not like Marty in Back to the Future where I can literally feel myself disappearing from reality if not enough people support Geno. You don't HAVE to believe me or my contacts. You don't HAVE to buy into my theories. Despite what people say, this isn't me:

To paraphrase Saint Lebowski, "it's just my opinion, man." I'm kind of stunned at how regularly people get worked up over it.

D

Deleted member

Also, guys... It's okay to disagree with me on stuff... I'm not Tinkerbell. I'm not going to spontaneously die if not enough people believe or agree with my posts. It's not like Marty in Back to the Future where I can literally feel myself disappearing from reality if not enough people support Geno. You don't HAVE to believe me or my contacts. You don't HAVE to buy into my theories. Despite what people say, this isn't me:

To paraphrase Saint Lebowski, "it's just my opinion, man." I'm kind of stunned at how regularly people get worked up over it.
Have you heard any word on how Post Fighters Pass/Season 2 would form? Like would there be Fighter Pass 2 or individual DLC like Piranha Plant?

D

Deleted member

I ain't sayin' he was held off. I was sayin' maybe the idea of making a Geno costume like the Sans one didn't even cross Sakurai's mind until the Sans one came out, and he saw how much everyone loved it.
Maybe I'm not articulating my point quite right, here... The assumption is that Geno should have come with Hero. I mean, he only got 4 costumes, and it's just weird that Square's other 2 returning costumes aren't there with those. Why is Geno's costume missing from that batch if they intend to "upgrade" it?

As an aside, Toby Fox was very open in 2018 about the fact that he was in Japan meeting his gaming heroes. The discussions for Sans and the remix that Toby himself made were more likely than not done that year. No indie developer in their right mind would have turned down the opportunity to have their content appear in the base game, so it's fair to say that anything developed or discussed in 2018 was too late to add to the base game, even if it had been finalized in January... That's probably a "no duh" to most people, but it needs to be said.

Seriously? Have you not seen how terrible the Mii Costume are when compared to the actual characters?

Then you got cream of the crop Mii Costume that, honest to God, could've easily be mistaken for a real fighter because it matches so well
View attachment 254149
Hey, know what you did there? You cherry picked costumes of characters whose face is revealed, and also Chibi Robo, which has a relatively easy explanation. Of course, it just so happens that most Mii costumes are of human characters with just their iconic hairstyle or headpiece being used to be completed with either your approximation of the Mii's face, or just your custom Mii dressed up. That's the point to them.

See this? This is actually really good. People sleep on this because 98% of Smash fans probably have no idea who he is.

If Miis could be customized just the tiniest bit more, he would be perfect. Why do you think that is...

Oh, right, because Goemon has always been stylized as a stocky little bobble head man. Go look him up yourself and see.

My point here is that Mii costumes are typically unfortunately of fan favorite characters that come from a very anime-esque franchise. Zero is a five and a half foot tall robot with very inhuman proportions (lower leg longer than thighs - a common trait among Mega Man and Mega Man X characters), as are Isaac and Rex. They don't "work" according to how a fan would perceive them as ideally playable. If Miis were taller and lankier, they would work better for anime style characters and worse for cartoony characters - in such a universe, people would probably hate Sans, just by the way.

Just kidding, his fans would still love it because like I mentioned already, even they didn't expect anything.

"So", I hear you asking yourself, "why does Chibi Robo look like one of those guys dressed up spinning the arrow to point you to the title loan office?" and I did say it was easily explained - look at Chibi Robo's body and look at the Mii. Just look at it from a completely objective standpoint, don't be offended for Chibi Robo fans and don't be angry if you're a fan yourself, just look at it. See how his body is disproportionately massive compared to his head, and how his weird spindly legs and arms had to be converted to fit the Mii fighter? This is the same reason we don't have echo fighters of characters who are taller or fatter than their base form - a true to form Chibi Robo Mii costume would have had to either adjust the hurtbox of the Mii fighter, or kept the hurtbox while changing the player model, which would have made it the optimal costume for mixing up your opponent's perception of where to hit you, and likewise, would have made it the optimal costume for not knowing where your own fighter can be hit.

"Ok", I hear you tentatively agreeing, "but why isn't Sans just his head on top of a Mii's head? It happens to a lot of characters!" and that's a little more on the subjective end. Some of it, like Teddy or Morgana, I think it's fair to write off as the Chibi Robo problem, but I can concede Tails and K. Rool could have at least had a full mask, but I think a lot of comes down to the fact that the creator of the character was on hand discussing what he'd like in a Mii Costume. Interesting to note is that of the characters that could have a full head (which, uh... Teddy actually kind of does?), it's Sega who gives the weird mascot hats the most. Maybe they just don't want the Mii representation of Tails looking like someone left a furry convention and ended up in Smash?

So as far as Geno goes, if the costume comes back, I think we're just getting the rat ass costume from 4, no upgrade, and this is because Square or whoever oversees the design of the costume thinks that the Mii face is good enough for him, in the same vein that it's good enough for Zero and good enough for Isaac.

EDIT: and the images broke. Just go look at the Goemon mii costume and look up official artwork and renders of Goemon.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Even if the Power of Six theory is true, couldn't it be inferred that Lloyd, Gil, Rathalos, & Monster Hunter were all the leftover returning Mii Costumes and aren't indicative of who Fighter 5 is? It kinda seems that way TBH even if the theme is kinda similar. Gotta have em' somewhere I guess.

That being said, I could totally see Lloyd & Geno being taken off the Mii Costume list if there was a plan to make them playable sometime earlier in the year. For Lloyd, the Tales trademark a few months back kinda support this and Geno the music takedowns in July.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have you heard any word on how Post Fighters Pass/Season 2 would form? Like would there be Fighter Pass 2 or individual DLC like Piranha Plant?
I made the joke before but nobody knows because nobody bothers to look into it because the Smash fanbase typically doesn't care about stages or music in comparison to characters.

"Guys! I just found out that Sakurai is going to add a stage with explicit female nudity because of the outcry over Mai!"

"That's nice... Is Klonoa playable?" (fart)

Like I said the other day, we currently have the following "pairs" of Smash 4 costumes MIA:

-Chocobo and Geno
-Lloyd and Gil
-Megaman X and Megaman EXE
-Rathalos and Monster Hunter
-Heihachi and Liberace

I personally think Rathalos and Monster Hunter will come with 5, leaving the other pairs to come with new passes. So far the only character that's suggested to be coming with no stage or music is 6. That said, I'm assuming the trend of Mii costumes, music, and a stage will continue but nobody knows for sure.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Two words: Occam's Razor. Power of Six Theory actually simplifies things by making the following statements:

-Every Pass was originally meant to have 6 Mii costumes like Joker.

-The original plan was to bring back all 15 Smash 4 DLC costumes across 5 passes.

-The Mii costumes in each pass thematically fit together and this appears to be deliberate.

... That's literally it. That's Power of Six in a nutshell. There's a few other things but it took me about as long to type that as it does to make my morning coffee.
You can't just blunt force Occam's Razor into every situation though, and honestly, is there any reason to presume that Occam's Razor works in this capacity? Occam's Razor in this situation would straight up be, the Mii costumes included were the ones planned and there were no cuts or changes to the original plan for said Mii costumes. You're in a more complicated situation and using Occam's Razor as a defense, which in of itself doesn't work particularly well.

The "power of six" has numerous holes as I've explained before. Why did Chocobo get cut from Hero? Why didn't Banjo come with his originally planned costumes that you propose of X and EXE, why would they be cut from Banjo when there's no real good reason to drop them in the first place? And does Banjo at all have a theme we can analyze? Even if we take into account your "proposed cuts" Goemon was still there and thus doesn't really work with a thematic sense showing that this doesn't have to be the case (Which the Team Rocket further complicates). Why is the base line assumption that they all to come back? Is it not entirely possible to see someone like Gil get cut if they didn't sell well or earn enough recognition in Smash 4? Why is 6 the magic number to begin with? Just because one character actually came with 6 Mii costumes? Not a single other fighter has come with 6 costumes, so there's not even really a precedent to base your conclusion off of outside of the fact that you can technically get to 6 Mii Fighter costumes by substituting specific no show Mii costumes into places that could make sense, but have zero evidence pointing to that being the fact beyond "Well it could make sense."

Yeah I think a “revamped” Geno costume with a song coming along with Mallow and Smithy SMRPG costumes is nonsense. Who does that even fully satisfy? Basically just the “we should be thankful for every bit of content in the game and who are we to judge as the paying consumer?” crowd.

There is little to no point to hold back Geno’s costume just to give it to us after the pass anyways. The time came and went for when it would’ve returned if it was going to. Of course there’s still a chance that happens, but it’s extremely slim.

It makes way too much sense that a good portion of wave 2 will be characters with some assets already available to the dev team. If Geno isn’t in by character #7, then I’ll start to piss my pants. Until then or until new evidence comes out to the contrary, I am walking on sunshine
It fully satisfies people who are able to recognize that was the best that Sakurai and company could/would do for Geno. They're under no obligations to make us feel any better about anything or even necessarily do "what conventionally makes sense." It's not supposed to be the grand prize, it would be a consolation prize to Geno fans they couldn't make happy otherwise. That's the logic of a Mii costume upgrade we'd be following if Geno is not made a playable character.

And for that matter, the conclusion that "a good portion of wave 2 will be characters with some assets already available to the dev team" doesn't really make any sense either. Why is that a sensible conclusion to reach? All of the Fighter's Pass has consisted of brand new assets and content. The assets available to turn into a full character positively pale in comparison to what Smash 4 had with unused veterans. And there's nothing to indicate what these next characters will look like DLC wise... So I don't really get the conclusion that it "makes way too much sense" if I'm being honest.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Yeh im thinking if the geno mii costume doesn't return with fighter 5 then geno is definitely a post pass character, like im 90% certain.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Hey, know what you did there? You cherry picked costumes of characters whose face is revealed, and also Chibi Robo, which has a relatively easy explanation. Of course, it just so happens that most Mii costumes are of human characters with just their iconic hairstyle or headpiece being used to be completed with either your approximation of the Mii's face, or just your custom Mii dressed up. That's the point to them.

See this? This is actually really good. People sleep on this because 98% of Smash fans probably have no idea who he is.

If Miis could be customized just the tiniest bit more, he would be perfect. Why do you think that is...

Oh, right, because Goemon has always been stylized as a stocky little bobble head man. Go look him up yourself and see.

My point here is that Mii costumes are typically unfortunately of fan favorite characters that come from a very anime-esque franchise. Zero is a five and a half foot tall robot with very inhuman proportions (lower leg longer than thighs - a common trait among Mega Man and Mega Man X characters), as are Isaac and Rex. They don't "work" according to how a fan would perceive them as ideally playable. If Miis were taller and lankier, they would work better for anime style characters and worse for cartoony characters - in such a universe, people would probably hate Sans, just by the way.

Just kidding, his fans would still love it because like I mentioned already, even they didn't expect anything.

"So", I hear you asking yourself, "why does Chibi Robo look like one of those guys dressed up spinning the arrow to point you to the title loan office?" and I did say it was easily explained - look at Chibi Robo's body and look at the Mii. Just look at it from a completely objective standpoint, don't be offended for Chibi Robo fans and don't be angry if you're a fan yourself, just look at it. See how his body is disproportionately massive compared to his head, and how his weird spindly legs and arms had to be converted to fit the Mii fighter? This is the same reason we don't have echo fighters of characters who are taller or fatter than their base form - a true to form Chibi Robo Mii costume would have had to either adjust the hurtbox of the Mii fighter, or kept the hurtbox while changing the player model, which would have made it the optimal costume for mixing up your opponent's perception of where to hit you, and likewise, would have made it the optimal costume for not knowing where your own fighter can be hit.

"Ok", I hear you tentatively agreeing, "but why isn't Sans just his head on top of a Mii's head? It happens to a lot of characters!" and that's a little more on the subjective end. Some of it, like Teddy or Morgana, I think it's fair to write off as the Chibi Robo problem, but I can concede Tails and K. Rool could have at least had a full mask, but I think a lot of comes down to the fact that the creator of the character was on hand discussing what he'd like in a Mii Costume. Interesting to note is that of the characters that could have a full head (which, uh... Teddy actually kind of does?), it's Sega who gives the weird mascot hats the most. Maybe they just don't want the Mii representation of Tails looking like someone left a furry convention and ended up in Smash?

So as far as Geno goes, if the costume comes back, I think we're just getting the rat ass costume from 4, no upgrade, and this is because Square or whoever oversees the design of the costume thinks that the Mii face is good enough for him, in the same vein that it's good enough for Zero and good enough for Isaac.

EDIT: and the images broke. Just go look at the Goemon mii costume and look up official artwork and renders of Goemon.
Look, I don't have time to go through every single Mii Costume and point out how terrible they look. You can count all the good looking Mii Costumes on one hand with a few fingers left over. As for your Chibi Robo costume defense it doesn't matter, trash is still trash no matter how you twist it.

Many of these Mii Costumes are just simply terrible because they take characters that people really like and give them a butcher design that looks unappealing where most people don't want to use, and the only people who do use them do so because that's only option to pretend & fool themselves that they're playing as their favorite character. It's basically turning them into Funko Pops.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman Why did things change? Fair question. Well, from what we've seen, every pass except Hero has come with pairs of Smash 4 costumes.

Joker- Knuckles and Tails
Banjo- Zero and Protoman
Terry- Jacky and Akira

Based on this, it's not a huge leap to propose the trend will continue. It's an established pattern that may or may not be broken in the future.

As for Banjo, he's definitely a grab bag but Power of Six Theory gives it more consistency. If the theory is true, Banjo's original Mii costumes were: Goemon, Sans, Zero, Protoman, EXE, and X. Two swordsmen and four gunners, with the four Megaman costumes being knocked out in one pack. Again, super simple and not all complicated and broken down into about as many words on the back of a DVD. Case in point: Occam's Razor.

D

Deleted member

Look, I don't have time to go through every single Mii Costume and point out how terrible they look. You can count all the good looking Mii Costumes on one hand with a few fingers left over. As for your Chibi Robo costume defense it doesn't matter, trash is still trash no matter how you twist it.

Many of these Mii Costumes are just simply terrible because they take characters that people really like and give them a butcher design that looks unappealing where most people don't want to use, and the only people who do use them do so because that's only option to pretend & fool themselves that they're playing as their favorite character. It's basically turning them into Funko Pops.
As long as you look at Mii costumes with the pure contempt that comes with knowing they could have been characters, you'll never be able to admit that there are reasons many of them look the way they do. There's nothing unique or special about Sans aside from the fact that he really shouldn't even be here.

Even if the Power of Six theory is true, couldn't it be inferred that Lloyd, Gil, Rathalos, & Monster Hunter were all the leftover returning Mii Costumes and aren't indicative of who Fighter 5 is? It kinda seems that way TBH even if the theme is kinda similar. Gotta have em' somewhere I guess.

That being said, I could totally see Lloyd & Geno being taken off the Mii Costume list if there was a plan to make them playable sometime earlier in the year. For Lloyd, the Tales trademark a few months back kinda support this and Geno the music takedowns in July.
I still think the Power of Six theory is shaky just because it assumes the Mii costumes are coming back, falls apart with Banjo, and ignores a huge selection of Smash 4's costumes that weren't third party. To me, it implies that 4 Mii costumes have been decided to be upgraded to fighters, since at this rate we have 4 of 5 challenger packs that cut at least one returning Mii costume. I mean, we have reason to believe that maybe Hero was supposed to be the first revealed fighter and was pushed back to the second, which is why Joker took so long (which also is shaky)... So Joker's 6 costumes just means no one in that was at all planned to be playable ever, or Sega has zero chance of having another character, since their other 2 costumes got given to Terry to complete a theme.

My money's seriously on Vault Boy being Fighter 5. Fatman's implications based on what his sources have told him really have everyone thinking Dragonborn and while The Elder Scrolls, especially Skyrim is popular, the blank slate protagonist just doesn't feel like a Smash character. Dragonborn feels like a prime leakbait subject, too. Many pages ago I went into detail about why I think Doom Guy just isn't a good pick, nor a realistic pick, and I hate to be that way for the Doomfriends that have become so intertwined with this community thanks to the Mallowdemon situation... but I haven't really changed my mind about that. If the leak is real, and the character is Doom Guy, great, I was wrong, Sakurai will make him work, but until that day, I just don't see him being a character. I've said it before, but he's a perfect choice for Mii Gunner. Vault Boy with Marine (Doom) Cacodemon, Power Armor (Fallout), Mega Man X and MegaMan.EXE is a super realistic costume spread in my opinion and fits the theme picks that we've started seeing with Terry.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Monster Hunter had the basic and Rathalos armor in Smash 4, not sure if those are back.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman Why did things change? Fair question. Well, from what we've seen, every pass except Hero has come with pairs of Smash 4 costumes.

Joker- Knuckles and Tails
Banjo- Zero and Protoman
Terry- Jacky and Akira

Based on this, it's not a huge leap to propose the trend will continue. It's an established pattern that may or may not be broken in the future.

As for Banjo, he's definitely a grab bag but Power of Six Theory gives it more consistency. If the theory is true, Banjo's original Mii costumes were: Goemon, Sans, Zero, Protoman, EXE, and X. Two swordsmen and four gunners, with the four Megaman costumes being knocked out in one pack. Again, super simple and not all complicated and broken down into about as many words on the back of a DVD. Case in point: Occam's Razor.
But that's exactly my issue with your theory! The two per fighter was never an actually intended amount. If we follow your theory; Joker - 2, Hero - 2, Banjo - 4, Terry - 3, Fighter #5 - 4 (very few new costumes as well whoever this ends up being). Even if you go, well, they cut Geno to make him playable later on; there's still the issue of Chocobo. They decided, OK, we're going to keep two costumes per fighter instead of this original plan. But, why would you cut any from Banjo & Kazooie to begin with when they were planned? They clearly have no issue having fewer costumes show up as we've seen the number of Mii fighter costumes be very inconsistent, and even more problematic is the fact that despite deciding that 2 is some hard number of returning costumes that should return, they were perfectly fine just letting 0 return with Hero, so 2 was never a hard number that absolutely had to be maintained.

Again, why cut the 4 planned for Banjo & Kazooie? There's no good reason to alter that plan outside of maintaining a consistency of 2 per fighter that was already just broken by Hero in the first place who also showed they were willing to let a fighter come with only 4 costumes to begin with (thus there never needed to be a "replacement" for the cut costumes since 4 was a perfectly fine amount in the past). And why cut Chocobo? Why would an arbitrary decision made after more DLC had been decided to limit the fighters to 2 returning costumes override the original plans for those returning Mii costumes that were more than likely already in development and had no good reason to be cut out of the plan except as a way to satisfy, once again, the arbitrarily created limit of 2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But that's exactly my issue with your theory! The two per fighter was never an actually intended amount. If we follow your theory; Joker - 2, Hero - 2, Banjo - 4, Terry - 3, Fighter #5 - 4 (very few new costumes as well whoever this ends up being). Even if you go, well, they cut Geno to make him playable later on; there's still the issue of Chocobo. They decided, OK, we're going to keep two costumes per fighter instead of this original plan. But, why would you cut any from Banjo & Kazooie to begin with when they were planned? They clearly have no issue having fewer costumes show up as we've seen the number of Mii fighter costumes be very inconsistent, and even more problematic is the fact that despite deciding that 2 is some hard number of returning costumes that should return, they were perfectly fine just letting 0 return with Hero, so 2 was never a hard number that absolutely had to be maintained.

Again, why cut the 4 planned for Banjo & Kazooie? There's no good reason to alter that plan outside of maintaining a consistency of 2 per fighter that was already just broken by Hero in the first place who also showed they were willing to let a fighter come with only 4 costumes to begin with (thus there never needed to be a "replacement" for the cut costumes since 4 was a perfectly fine amount in the past). And why cut Chocobo? Why would an arbitrary decision made after more DLC had been decided to limit the fighters to 2 returning costumes override the original plans for those returning Mii costumes that were more than likely already in development and had no good reason to be cut out of the plan except as a way to satisfy, once again, the arbitrarily created limit of 2.
I think you're missing the forest for the trees, here - it's whatever was going to make 6 costumes per character, not what was going to balance out returning third party Miis. The number of returning costumes is essentially arbitrary, only the amount of costumes a character gets. Banjo is the huge outlier here because he came with no proprietary (for lack of a better word) costumes.

Honestly though if I entertain the power of six theory, I kind of suspect Banjo would have come with the Monster Hunter costumes, if they're intended to return at all now that Rathalos is a boss.

EDIT: I keep forgetting that Banjo came with 5 costumes, meaning he's only missing one. It dilutes the power of six theory to assume that Rocket Grunt was thrown in as some kind of last minute decision because as I've mentioned before, who else was Rocket Grunt coming with, if not Banjo? Still, if Rathalos Armor has been upgraded to Rathalos, that does leave the one Monster Hunter armor, which would make Banjo's costume spread be Sword, Sword, Sword, Gun, Gun, Brawler. If I have to reach to help make the theory work here, that's thematic just based on Banjo's odd hybridization of swordfighter zoner.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman We don't know why Banjo was changed but we do know that Rocket Grunt is literally the only first party costume in the passes so far. All the other first party DLC costumes from Smash 4 were in Ultimate's base game. That said, it's very unusual and definitely something to consider given just how much of an outlier it is.

The principle of Occam's Razor isn't that the simplest theory is always correct, it's the principle that theories ideally shouldn't be esoteric and that knowledge should be able to broken down enough that even "common people" can understand them. When it's at its best, science is accessible to even non-scientists. Occam's Razor isn't an absolute truth but more so a scientific and theorycraft ideal. That's why I like Judgeheihachi's outline of the Power of Six Theory, it breaks things down while at the same time establishing patterns and starting points of analysis that anybody can jump in on. It's not rocket science, except in the sense of the Rocket Grunt (wheeze).

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
You can't just blunt force Occam's Razor into every situation though, and honestly, is there any reason to presume that Occam's Razor works in this capacity? Occam's Razor in this situation would straight up be, the Mii costumes included were the ones planned and there were no cuts or changes to the original plan for said Mii costumes. You're in a more complicated situation and using Occam's Razor as a defense, which in of itself doesn't work particularly well.

The "power of six" has numerous holes as I've explained before. Why did Chocobo get cut from Hero? Why didn't Banjo come with his originally planned costumes that you propose of X and EXE, why would they be cut from Banjo when there's no real good reason to drop them in the first place? And does Banjo at all have a theme we can analyze? Even if we take into account your "proposed cuts" Goemon was still there and thus doesn't really work with a thematic sense showing that this doesn't have to be the case (Which the Team Rocket further complicates). Why is the base line assumption that they all to come back? Is it not entirely possible to see someone like Gil get cut if they didn't sell well or earn enough recognition in Smash 4? Why is 6 the magic number to begin with? Just because one character actually came with 6 Mii costumes? Not a single other fighter has come with 6 costumes, so there's not even really a precedent to base your conclusion off of outside of the fact that you can technically get to 6 Mii Fighter costumes by substituting specific no show Mii costumes into places that could make sense, but have zero evidence pointing to that being the fact beyond "Well it could make sense."

It fully satisfies people who are able to recognize that was the best that Sakurai and company could/would do for Geno. They're under no obligations to make us feel any better about anything or even necessarily do "what conventionally makes sense." It's not supposed to be the grand prize, it would be a consolation prize to Geno fans they couldn't make happy otherwise. That's the logic of a Mii costume upgrade we'd be following if Geno is not made a playable character.

And for that matter, the conclusion that "a good portion of wave 2 will be characters with some assets already available to the dev team" doesn't really make any sense either. Why is that a sensible conclusion to reach? All of the Fighter's Pass has consisted of brand new assets and content. The assets available to turn into a full character positively pale in comparison to what Smash 4 had with unused veterans. And there's nothing to indicate what these next characters will look like DLC wise... So I don't really get the conclusion that it "makes way too much sense" if I'm being honest.
Here's some possible explanations to those holes. Chocobo(and Geno) may have been cut because they decided to upgrade Geno in pack 2 and wanted the Chocobo hat to return with him. It would have been odd if Chocobo returned with Hero but not Geno right? They would pretty much be telling everyone that Geno is playable.

The other Mega Man costumes may have been cut from Banjo because they decided on making a Capcom character in Pass 2 and wanted it to come with two returning costumes as well. As for a theme, I'm guessing it was platformers. Of course, Team Rocket and Sans don't fit in that, but perhaps they were decided on at a later time than the others. If they cut two Mega Man costumes then that would have just left Banjo with 3 costumes, the other two Mega Man costumes and Goemon, so maybe they had to hurry and add two more. We know Sakurai met with Toby Fox pretty late into the development, and Team Rocket is the only Nintendo costume to come with DLC so far. So both of these are kinda strange.

Sure, Gil could be cut, but then again both the Akira and Jacky costumes returned and those probably weren't exactly great sellers etiher.

As to your other post, it's entirely possible that we will see another Capcom, Square, and Namco character as DLC, so it would make sense to cut costumes either because they decided to make those characters playable, or just to bring back those costumes with characters from the same company/theme.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My guess is that 5 will be announced in the January Direct, they'll do a Smash presentation afterwards and 6 may be announced there. Based on the chart I posted, the fighters and Amiibo will be about 11 days standard deviation (rounding up). If the Amiibo are coming out on the 17th, this suggests a reasonable time frame would be between January 6th and January 28th. Based on Banjo's and Terry's release, it suggests that between January 6th and January 9th is when the Direct would happen because Directs and the Amiibo releases have never happened during the same week.
So, coincidentally, GameXplain just released the following video:

Apparently a Splatoon 2 update has been announced for January 6th. Pretty groovy and might actually be a sign that a Direct really is coming that week.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman We don't know why Banjo was changed but we do know that Rocket Grunt is literally the only first party costume in the passes so far. All the other first party DLC costumes from Smash 4 were in Ultimate's base game. That said, it's very unusual and definitely something to consider given just how much of an outlier it is.

The principle of Occam's Razor isn't that the simplest theory is always correct, it's the principle that theories ideally shouldn't be esoteric and that knowledge should be able to broken down enough that even "common people" can understand them. When it's at its best, science is accessible to even non-scientists. Occam's Razor isn't an absolute truth but more so a scientific and theorycraft ideal. That's why I like Judgeheihachi's outline of the Power of Six Theory, it breaks things down while at the same time establishing patterns and starting points of analysis that anybody can jump in on. It's not rocket science, except in the sense of the Rocket Grunt (wheeze).
I mean, it's an outlier, but it's also kind of its own big deal due to the fact it's the first Pokemon related Mii costume we've seen in Smash period. It's not just an easy substitute per se given The Pokemon Company tends to be more protective in that regard.

And no, Occam's Razor isn't always the simplest theory is correct, but you're definitely defying Occam's Razor by adding additional complications and making your overall theory more complex. Those complications are:
  • There was an original intention to have 6 per fighter (unsubstantiated, with no real reason to default to this other than it can work in the theory)
  • Banjo & Kazooie were originally planned to have 4 returning Mii costumes, but they cut 2 for unknown reasons
  • Team Rocket Grunt Mii Costume was brought in as a replacement because.... (again, this is one of my biggest issues with the theory as it stands because it implies that they created one and only one additional costume as a replacement for something that was cut... which arguably didn't need to be cut in the first place).
  • Chocobo was cut to satisfy some line of logic.
Those are your unnecessary complications that require additional assumptions and not fewer ones, thus it comes off really odd to argue Occam's Razor when you're already working to complicate and add assumptions. The simpler versions of a theory would be: No cuts were made and the Mii fighter DLC is proceeding as planned -or- only the characters that they've decided to upgrade have been cut (Geno, Heiahchi, potentially a Lloyd that could have originally been intended to release with Banjo & Kazooie).

Here's some possible explanations to those holes. Chocobo(and Geno) may have been cut because they decided to upgrade Geno in pack 2 and wanted the Chocobo hat to return with him. It would have been odd if Chocobo returned with Hero but not Geno right? They would pretty much be telling everyone that Geno is playable.

The other Mega Man costumes may have been cut from Banjo because they decided on making a Capcom character in Pass 2 and wanted it to come with two returning costumes as well. As for a theme, I'm guessing it was platformers. Of course, Team Rocket and Sans don't fit in that, but perhaps they were decided on at a later time than the others. If they cut two Mega Man costumes then that would have just left Banjo with 3 costumes, the other two Mega Man costumes and Goemon, so maybe they had to hurry and add two more. We know Sakurai met with Toby Fox pretty late into the development, and Team Rocket is the only Nintendo costume to come with DLC so far. So both of these are kinda strange.

Sure, Gil could be cut, but then again both the Akira and Jacky costumes returned and those probably weren't exactly great sellers etiher.

As to your other post, it's entirely possible that we will see another Capcom, Square, and Namco character as DLC, so it would make sense to cut costumes either because they decided to make those characters playable, or just to bring back those costumes with characters from the same company/theme.
I've already stated, people made all the same conclusions once Geno wasn't a Mii costume. Chocobo's absence practically achieved nothing in terms of changing speculation.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I mean, it's an outlier, but it's also kind of its own big deal due to the fact it's the first Pokemon related Mii costume we've seen in Smash period. It's not just an easy substitute per se given The Pokemon Company tends to be more protective in that regard.

And no, Occam's Razor isn't always the simplest theory is correct, but you're definitely defying Occam's Razor by adding additional complications and making your overall theory more complex. Those complications are:
  • There was an original intention to have 6 per fighter (unsubstantiated, with no real reason to default to this other than it can work in the theory)
  • Banjo & Kazooie were originally planned to have 4 returning Mii costumes, but they cut 2 for unknown reasons
  • Team Rocket Grunt Mii Costume was brought in as a replacement because.... (again, this is one of my biggest issues with the theory as it stands because it implies that they created one and only one additional costume as a replacement for something that was cut... which arguably didn't need to be cut in the first place).
  • Chocobo was cut to satisfy some line of logic.
Those are your unnecessary complications that require additional assumptions and not fewer ones, thus it comes off really odd to argue Occam's Razor when you're already working to complicate and add assumptions. The simpler versions of a theory would be: No cuts were made and the Mii fighter DLC is proceeding as planned -or- only the characters that they've decided to upgrade have been cut (Geno, Heiahchi, potentially a Lloyd that could have originally been intended to release with Banjo & Kazooie).

I've already stated, people made all the same conclusions once Geno wasn't a Mii costume. Chocobo's absence practically achieved nothing in terms of changing speculation.
True, but you do have the people who are like "well I guess Chocobo is playable since he was cut too". So at least this way there is still some doubt.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
True, but you do have the people who are like "well I guess Chocobo is playable since he was cut too". So at least this way there is still some doubt.
The reason I can't be on board with that is Sakurai doesn't really play that much 4D chess with the fan base in terms of expectations. He's usually pretty transparent and I don't imagine he nor Nintendo care enough about the state of speculation to decide to pull Chocobo on the basis of casting additional doubt. It just seems excessive, even for them to be honest.

And to be clear, I don't think any of this really impacts Geno's chances as I think it's possible he was intended as a costume and then cut for upgrade purposes, I just think the power of six is a little too presumptuous to be taken seriously as an explanation for basically everything Mii costume wise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman 2 cuts isn't unusual because we already see that with Hero. Again, precedent. That's not complicated, just like how we can see that 2 Mii costumes have come back with each pass except Hero, which again, is pretty noticeable. Honestly, I think you're ironically making it more complicated then it actually is.

D

Deleted member

It's a fair assumption that if they brought Chocobo back and not Geno, more eyebrows would have been raised than are already, but I think the more likely explanation is that Slime was there and he's the cute, cuddly mascot character of Dragon Quest. Chocobo isn't, and in fact, is the cute cuddly mascot character of another RPG franchise.

My biggest fear right now is an out of the blue Mii Costume pack that answers where the rest of the costumes are at, and brings Geno with it. I agree with the sentiment that it's a real ass move to hold Geno off for that long and dump him in such an unceremonious way, but it could happen, and Sakurai has proven with Isaac and Shadow that he's exceptionally tone-deaf with when the fans expect to be let down (or what "let down" even means). The unconfirmable "Square's a bunch of hardasses who won't have their content bundled with anyone else'" is the only hope I think we have that such a thing will not happen.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
The reason I can't be on board with that is Sakurai doesn't really play that much 4D chess with the fan base in terms of expectations. He's usually pretty transparent and I don't imagine he nor Nintendo care enough about the state of speculation to decide to pull Chocobo on the basis of casting additional doubt. It just seems excessive, even for them to be honest.

And to be clear, I don't think any of this really impacts Geno's chances as I think it's possible he was intended as a costume and then cut for upgrade purposes, I just think the power of six is a little too presumptuous to be taken seriously as an explanation for basically everything Mii costume wise.
You make good points. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Mii costumes come with FP5(and beyond). Then we will get a better idea if there was actually anything to the theory or not.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"There's no patterns, there's no patterns, there's no patterns." Then why are there patterns? For example, why didn't Joker come with, say, Jacky and Knuckles or Akira and Zero or Lloyd and Geno? Why did he come with two SEGA characters and why did the other two SEGA characters, Akira and Jacky who are from Virtua Fighter (a fighting game series), come with Terry? If there was no intention for the Smash 4 costumes, why isn't it totally random? Why aren't all the packs like Banjo, who coincidentally enough still has some degrees of consistency in the form of the Zero and Protoman pair?

D

Deleted member

You make good points. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Mii costumes come with FP5(and beyond). Then we will get a better idea if there was actually anything to the theory or not.
In the absence of any hard evidence this is the best we can do. As I've said before, every time costumes get revealed and Geno isn't there, we're riding high. To echo KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 , the closer we get to the end of the pass and Geno isn't around, the more golden we look.

But also the closer we get to the end of the pass, the more heartbreaking it is to get shot down, so... keep those expectations low.

Reminder that Sakurai did the AT slaughter on the last Smash direct.
wynn728 wynn728 's echo fighter, but he's absolutely right.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

You should have thought about that before you were WRONG ON THE INTERNET!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To me, Hero's costume set was it's own special thing and dedicated to DQ. And that there's really no Mii costume patterns to begin with. It's whatever they find workable in different situations. So no real precedent was made. There's no straight pattern either. That's why I'm with Eric and Hinata on this one. There's nothing to really go off of. Of course, Geno could be playable and decided on close to when Hero's recording was done, enough to scrap the costume. Chocobo is in a different situation on its own.

It says nothing about later costumes. Geno simply was not disconfirmed, but it didn't really do much for his chances other than give more hope for post-pass for some people(depending people's opinions on spirits). Chocobo simply didn't make sense to have with Hero as much as Geno did. Neither were DQ-related, and Chocobo sticks out even more since he's a mascot of a different franchise. It doesn't mean they're cut either. It just means we know nothing.

I don't honestly think much has changed. But I do hope Geno gets in. I'm a bit more cynical on his chances, keep in mind. I don't think he's impossible post-pass, though. Regardless, I would hope, if he were a costume again, he comes with some awesome music(more than one piece). SMRPG music is a win alone for me. Also worth clarifying that I see Mii Costumes as nothing but love being given to a character who unfortunately couldn't make it to playable. They're an amazing thing and a nice prize for fans as is. At least, they're intended that way, to please them. Does it work? No. Some prefer nothing. That's fine too. Doesn't make them some insult or whatever. They're clearly intended to be for the fans, not to hurt them. None of the decisions are intended to be a knock against the fans to begin with anyway. It was always to please them the best Sakurai could with a limited amount of time to do stuff. It's not like he can please all fans, or for that matter, know who is a super fan favorite. I see Isaac's costume, for instance, as him acknowledging that the fanbase is growing, a huge improvement over Brawl when he was just an AT, and in 4, where he's at most... a trophy, I think? GS got a lot of love this game, moreso than any other one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom