• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have you heard from anybody if Echos are fair game post Season Pass?
Probably not. Sakurai dunked on the idea last year and everything I've heard since further pushes that idea. Again, if Sakurai looked at super easy Echoes like Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi and was like "lol, nope" I can't see them seriously considering anyone else.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Probably not. Sakurai dunked on the idea last year and everything I've heard since further pushes that idea. Again, if Sakurai looked at super easy Echoes like Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi and was like "lol, nope" I can't see them seriously considering anyone else.
****! RIP Medusa, Funky Kong, Metal Sonic, and ect. :sadeyes:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Smithy is already Geno's warui if you ask me.

The characters are designed to clash with each other thematically.
You know, TV Tropes actually makes the case in the SMRPG Fridge section that Smithy is an evil counterpart to Mario. Here is their logic:

"Smithy is ruler of another world, uses a hammer as his weapon, can shapeshift, and with the four members of the gang besides Exor (counting the Axem Rangers as on entry) he leads a Five-Man Band that seek the Star Pieces...could Smithy have been intentionally designed as an Evil Counterpart to Mario?
  • Smithy is a blacksmith, Mario is a plumber. Both are blue collar occupations. Hmm...
    • The similarities go further: Both of them sport awesome facial hair of some kind (Mario a mustache and Smithy a beard)."
Pretty cool! I like how certain aspects of Geno's design logically changed for this version.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I see Smithy as a foil to Geno more than anything else. I mean, Geno is a weaponized doll, and what are Smithy and his gang all thematically based on?

WEAPONS!!

Mega_Mario_Man

Smash Cadet
You know, TV Tropes actually makes the case in the SMRPG Fridge section that Smithy is an evil counterpart to Mario. Here is their logic"

"Smithy is ruler of another world, uses a hammer as his weapon, can shapeshift, and with the four members of the gang besides Exor (counting the Axem Rangers as on entry) he leads a Five-Man Band that seek the Star Pieces...could Smithy have been intentionally designed as an Evil Counterpart to Mario?

Smithy is a blacksmith, Mario is a plumber. Both are blue collar occupations. Hmm...

The similarities go further: Both of them sport awesome facial hair of some kind (Mario a mustache and Smithy a beard)."
Fellow troper gang? :shades:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Octoling: "Am I a joke to you?"

Honestly Octoling is an obvious echo choice i feel is slept on, even though they could still also get the Isabelle treatment. I JUST WANT MY OCTO BABIES OK

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If anything, it just solidified stuff I had already assumed based on the character list of characters that were supposedly seriously considered:

-Echoes are dead in the water.

-Sony's 99% not happening.

-Indies are probably toast.

-If any female characters are being seriously considered, you can probably count them on a finger or two.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well then, happy birthday pal! i hope that you have a great dayView attachment 253980
I didn't suggest the Xeno name, but otherwise he's mine - vaguely based on simple childhood ponderings like 'what if another star spirit came down after Geno'. It's just a couple other people starting doing something with him, and since it's not like anyone's been rude or aggressive about 'stealing' him, I'm perfectly fine with it as it stands. Everyone's been pretty polite so far. I think as long as it's still acknowledged that I drew him first so he's 'mine', I don't mind seeing more of him pop up. Seeing characters in different art styles (not 'better' or 'worse', mind you, everyone does things at least a little differently) is always nice, I suppose. If I got to see him in an animation or something, that'd be cool.

Also, happy birthday. Hope your day isn't going as.. questionable as mine is.
Thanks so much!

Oh it's CannonStreak CannonStreak 's birthday? Happy birthday dude.
Yep! It sure is! Also, thanks so much!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
If anything, it just solidified stuff I had already assumed based on the character list of characters that were supposedly seriously considered:

-If any female characters are being seriously considered, you can probably count them on a finger or two.
Echoes were such a wasted potential
Ms Pac-Man
Dixie
Shadow
Octoling
Protoman

It's a damn shame

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Wow, that's great! I like the little detail of her having Gaz's name on her boot. Really great touch.
Now draw her naked.
Did he mean in regards to the Fighter Pass or just DLC in general? I could understand why he'd be so against the idea considering Echoes aren't all that much in terms of work, it'd seem like he's short-changing fans by charging money for them. I mean, looking at the Echoes he added for Ultimate: all of them were very popular characters like Chrom and Dark Samus, and since they came with the base game it wouldn't feel all that scummy. Of course, I think most people are in agreement that they wouldn't mind another few Echoes. I personally would love to see Dixie, Medusa, and Black Shadow as Echoes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

What about Nintendo characters and characters that are Spirits or Assist Trophies?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What about Nintendo characters and characters that are Spirits or Assist Trophies?
Those are still in play and if anything the "lol, nope" list pushed the idea that spirit promotions and assist trophy promotions will probably be taken a lot more seriously than was originally thought. In other words, to my surprise, none of the characters were spirits or assist trophies. Granted, that doesn't mean everyone's back on the table but it provides more evidence that spirits and even assist trophies weren't the total death sentences we originally thought they were.

Add in: Also, Gooigi was the only first party character on the "lol, nope" list so that's weirdly comforting.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Those are still in play and if anything the "lol, nope" list pushed the idea that spirit promotions and assist trophy promotions will probably be taken a lot more seriously than was originally thought. In other words, to my surprise, none of the characters were spirits or assist trophies. Granted, that doesn't mean everyone's back on the table but it provides more evidence that spirits and even assist trophies weren't the total death sentences we originally thought they were.
So we are probably just looking at like a couple of promotions at the minimum if anything at all?

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
"No, we shouldn't make more Echo Fighters. It's not like the fans actually like them. No, Mii Costumes are where it's at. EVERYONE LOVES MII COSTUME BECAUSE IT FEELS LIKE YOU'RE PLAYING AS THEM. Keep making Mii Costume, never stop, don't waste time on Echo Fighters."
I said it a lot but Sakurai makes some bad decisions.

D

Deleted member

Happy birthday SonicSmasher1.

A couple of days ago people were talking about what Smithy would sound like if he was voiced honestly I see him with a high pitched voice no idea why?

Also Our Star boy would probably have a cool in game voice if he was voiced in game. Maybe Elijah Wood?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Happy birthday SonicSmasher1.

A couple of days ago people were talking about what Smithy would sound like if he was voiced honestly I see him with a high pitched voice no idea why?

Also Our Star boy would probably have a cool in game voice if he was voiced in game. Maybe Elijah Wood?
Thanks, Kremling Man!

Also, I can imagine Smithy with a voice like Santa Claus...

Only a more evil Santa Claus with probably a deeper voice.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So we are probably just looking at like a couple of promotions at the minimum if anything at all?
Probably. It's not going to be a huge amount by any means but I'm now at the point that 3 or more "promotions" wouldn't surprise me. Also, after getting this info, I'm watching this video for like the fifth time and sitting in absolute ****ing disbelief over how cheeky it is. Seriously... They even say two of the characters on the "lol, nope" list in this video... I totally believe the NoA ambassador when they say "if GameXplain openly speculates on a character, they're not happening 99 times out of 100":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FW5RqAxlkig

MisterMike

Smash Champion
"No, we shouldn't make more Echo Fighters. It's not like the fans actually like them. No, Mii Costumes are where it's at. EVERYONE LOVES MII COSTUME BECAUSE IT FEELS LIKE YOU'RE PLAYING AS THEM. Keep making Mii Costume, never stop, don't waste time on Echo Fighters."
ok doomer
Probably. It's not going to be a huge amount by any means but I'm now at the point that 3 or more "promotions" wouldn't surprise me. Also, after getting this info, I'm watching this video for like the fifth time and sitting in absolute ****ing disbelief over how cheeky it is. Seriously... They even say two of the characters on the "lol, nope" list in this video... I totally believe the NoA ambassador when they say "if GameXplain openly speculates on a character, they're not happening 99 times out of 100":

So wouldn't that mean Geno is off the table since they've mentioned him in their discussion videos? Or do you mean only with regards to non-discussion videos like this?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
In an ideal world they wouldn't waste DLC dev time on either of them and it would be true character additions would be the sole focus, but if they are going to waste time with lame additions I'd rather it be Mii costumes as creating one skin probably takes less time than making 8 different skins and then giving it it's own square on the CSS.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ok doomer

So wouldn't that mean Geno is off the table since they've mentioned him in their discussion videos? Or do you mean only with regards to non-discussion videos like this?
Recently, they've talked about Geno potentially being #5 which is an idea that even this thread has open mouthed laughed at since like August. No, what I mean is if someone, especially Jon, says something like "I think Kos-Mos is going to be 5" that's when I'm like:

download (2).jpeg

This is why I'm also super incredulous that they're pushing Rex and Pyra extra hard for example because, given their super close relationship with Nintendo, flat out saying those things would be a leak and, when it comes to leakers, their ass is grass and Nintendo is the lawnmower.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I'd be overjoyed if it was all promotions. Everyone I really want is in that game already. Let's just go Geno, Isaac, Waluigi, Shadow, Skullkid and call it the promotions pass.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Sakurai finally manages to get people to like the idea of clones, only to give up on the idea too soon.

D

Deleted member

We get Geno in Smash and Pauline in the next console Mario Kart.

Let’s go.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't think anyone Jon talked about has a chance. Rex might be in season 3 but I wouldnt bet on it, and I don't think dee is going to happen untill he reaches k rool levels of outcry or sakurai retires. I think were going to have to wait untill s3 until we get 1st parties in any notable capacity.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But, like, watch this video too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCVtewVNlw&t=1385s

Their predictions for #5 in this video are Geno, Rex and Pyra, Kos-Mos, Ryu, and Travis. It should also be noted that they did the almost seemingly impossible and got everything wrong in this video. For an almost hour long video of pure speculation, that's incredibly impressive. Yes, I do think they play coy a lot but the two recent videos I shared are where they are absolutely over the top with it.

D

Deleted member

But, like, watch this video too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCVtewVNlw&t=1385s

Their predictions for #5 in this video are Geno, Rex and Pyra, Kos-Mos, Ryu, and Travis. It should also be noted that they did the almost seemingly impossible and got everything wrong in this video. For an almost hour long video of pure speculation, that's incredibly impressive. Yes, I do think they play coy a lot but the two recent videos I shared are where they are absolutely over the top with it.
Interesting, are there public names you think that has a decent chance of making it in aside from Geno, Crash, and Lloyd?

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
..Yeah, I'm sticking with Geppetto. I'll allow Xeno because he's an edgy, rebellious teen.

Griselda: Are you ready for school, Geppetto?
Geppetto: Ugh, moooooom.. I told you already, it's Xeno now..
Griselda: Whatever you say, dear. Have a nice day at school.
LOL As long as Xeno is still acceptable, that's fine with me. :)

Regardless, "Xeno" as I'll dub him currently, probably specializes in his arms shifting into melee weapons (as evidenced by the sword in the art), since Geno's arms shift into ranged weapons.
Yeah, I think the whole melee weapon thing would be a cool foil to Geno's guns. The current art we have so far looks like he's got some pretty sharp claws, his sword of course, maybe some retractible elbow blades, and he could possibly launch daggers from his arms and feet. Imagine how cool it would look to have him throw a kick and have daggers shoot from the heel or something. Also, on a side note, I LOLed at your second video of Goku Black:

"Don't shoot! He's not black!"

Freaking racist future people...:4pacman:

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

>They say one of the characters on the "nope" list

Goku is in, boys

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Hey, I'm back. The thread has mostly returned to normal, which is good to see.
Probably. It's not going to be a huge amount by any means but I'm now at the point that 3 or more "promotions" wouldn't surprise me.
My call is Waluigi, Geno and Isaac (maybe Rayman too). Geno's been discussed enough here, and NoA are definitely aware of the backlash Waluigi and Isaac got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom