• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
True. Aside from people who absolutely can't stand more Mario characters for whatever reason (which I think is a stupid stance to take), I think most would be ok with Geno and Waluigi both being DLC because they're so different anyway.
I think it’s a stupid stance too, but of course you’ll find such people on Gamefaqs. If both get in, I could see maybe Waluigi being some kind of bonus character like Piranha Plant where people can get him for free, while Geno would actually be a fighter’s pass character since he is owned by a 3rd Party. Then I don’t think anyone would have a right to complain about too many Mario characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
..I'd say Kamek should get in Ultimate, but do you think it might be easy to mistake him for Geno and lose track of who you're playing during fast-paced matches?
I think you could differentiate them from a distance. He could make for an actual Yoshi rep.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
So would I. I can tolerate those kind of characters. I would actually love to see both of them in. And like you said, they would be different. Not just as characters from Mario games, but in terms of movesets, too.
Me too. Waluigi and Geno are actually two of the only characters left I really want in Smash like you can see in my signature. I'm glad to see how much support both of them have!

I think it’s a stupid stance too, but of course you’ll find such people on Gamefaqs. If both get in, I could see maybe Waluigi being some kind of bonus character like Piranha Plant where people can get him for free, while Geno would actually be a fighter’s pass character since he is owned by a 3rd Party. Then I don’t think anyone would have a right to complain about too many Mario characters.
Yeah that makes sense. Probably anything to separate them in the DLC cycle would be better. At least make it so it doesn't feel like we're getting too many Mario characters all at once, y'know?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Me too. Waluigi and Geno are actually two of the only characters left I really want in Smash like you can see in my signature. I'm glad to see how much support both of them have!?
Heh heh! No kidding! I don't know how GameFAQs will react if they get in, but I would love to watch the fire made by their exploding if they do get angry about it, with some popcorn of course. I mean, Geno and Waluigi do deserve all this support they are getting, right everyone?!

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Heh heh! No kidding! I don't know how GameFAQs will react if they get in, but I would love to watch the fire made by their exploding if they do get angry about it, with some popcorn of course. I mean, Geno and Waluigi do deserve all this support they are getting, right everyone?!
I bet they'll just go ape**** for some time then they'll act like Waluigi and Geno were always good and likely picks, hehe. But for now, we'll just have to deal with them reminding us of how irrelevant and unimportant wah and puppet are even though they're giving relevance and importance to them by bringing them up.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I bet they'll just go ape**** for some time then they'll act like Waluigi and Geno were always good and likely picks, hehe. But for now, we'll just have to deal with them reminding us of how irrelevant and unimportant wah and puppet are even though they're giving relevance and importance to them by bringing them up.
Not to mention, in Terry's presentation, Sakurai said himself that if characters are fun is what matters, not how relevant they are, or if they have not appeared in a game for some time. If those GameFAQs fools do end up acting like those two were always good picks after they are to be revealed, I will laugh, because nothing can change that they acted otherwise about them before.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno is being worked on now, and he's voiced rather than just sound effects, do you think his voice actor is already chosen?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If Geno is being worked on now, and he's voiced rather than just sound effects, do you think his voice actor is already chosen?
I don't know, but I actually asked this question some time ago. You answered that question back then, I believe.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Not to mention, in Terry's presentation, Sakurai said himself that if characters are fun is what matters, not how relevant they are, or if they have not appeared in a game for some time. If those GameFAQs fools do end up acting like those two were always good picks after they are to be revealed, I will laugh, because nothing can change that they acted otherwise about them before.
Right, and Geno would be very fun and have a unique timed hit gimmick most likely.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
..I did? Was that when I brought up Sean Chiplock?
I think so. I do remember asking that question before.

Though come to think about it, I have been wrong on you answering.

Right, and Geno would be very fun and have a unique timed hit gimmick most likely.
EXACTLY! In fact, he'd be different from just about every Mario character there is, wouldn't you say?

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Something that came to my mind about the CacoMallow leak was Ken’s Shoryuken damage output and how it was different in 5.0 when compared to the video. Since it has yet to be buffed/changed, has anyone figured out the reason and if not, could that be a sign for it being fake?

Griselda

Smash Lord
Something that came to my mind about the CacoMallow leak was Ken’s Shoryuken damage output and how it was different in 5.0 when compared to the video. Since it has yet to be buffed/changed, has anyone figured out the reason and if not, could that be a sign for it being fake?
Didn't that just have to do with an alternate game setting like launch rates, or something?

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
If I remember, people were able to duplicate the damage in the current build.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Petition to call the old rare stuff and various rpg series the mushroom kingdom extended universe.

EDIT yeah the wario stuff too, almost forgot they weren't cannon already.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
..I'd say Kamek should get in Ultimate, but do you think it might be easy to mistake him for Geno and lose track of who you're playing during fast-paced matches?
I LOVE Kamek. He's one of my most-wanted reps because I feel like he legitimately could come out of nowhere, no one would see it coming, and lots of people would love it. Yoshi's Island getting a villain rep? A mage character? THE BABIES ARE MINE!!!!!!!!

Griselda

Smash Lord
I LOVE Kamek. He's one of my most-wanted reps because I feel like he legitimately could come out of nowhere, no one would see it coming, and lots of people would love it. Yoshi's Island getting a villain rep? A mage character? THE BABIES ARE MINE!!!!!!!!
What do you think his final smash would be? I'm thinking he calls in a giant baby bowser to step on whoever gets caught.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
What do you think his final smash would be? I'm thinking he calls in a giant baby bowser to step on whoever gets caught.
Baby Bowser could work, but I think a much better idea would be for him to do the thing he never did in Yoshi's Island- Sprinkle the growth magic on himself. It is currently Large Kamek Hours.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Baby Bowser could work, but I think a much better idea would be for him to do the thing he never did in Yoshi's Island- Sprinkle the growth magic on himself. It is currently Large Kamek Hours.
How about this? Kamek casts a spell, and if the opponent or opponents get hit, this happens: The opponent, or opponents are suddenly being carried by the stork (the one that brings Baby Mario and Luigi to their parents in SMW2: Yoshi's Island) and Kamek ambushes and tackles the stork and the opponents. The stork and the opponents then find themselves tied upside down along with the stork, and Kamek appears and then casts a deadly spell on the opponents, which will then cause them to fly off, possibly off the stage.

What do you think of this?

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
How about this? Kamek casts a spell, and if the opponent or opponents get hit, this happens: The opponent is suddenly being carried by the stork (the one that brings Baby Mario and Luigi to their parents in SMW2: Yoshi's Island) and Kamek ambushes and tackles the stork and the opponents. The stork and the opponents then find themselves tied upside down along with the stork, and Kamek appears and then casts a deadly spell on the opponents, which will then cause them to fly off, possibly off the stage.

What do you think of this?
I love it.

THE BABIES ARE MINE!!!!!!!!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
See, there we go! That's what I'm talking about! Screw 'we need more of this' and let's go 'These are the characters I love and want in Smash'!

Since we agree to disagree on that first part, I'll focus on the latter part and say that I'm actually jealous of you because you can branch out to 10 characters genuinely while I myself get stuck at 3. After Geno, Sora, and Spyro...I have to shove in characters other people really want because I really don't have an attachment to many characters or they are all ones that are already in the game/have no chance to be in the game (Goemon would have been my fourth but uhhh...we all saw the third Mii Costume Wave. Characters like Viewtiful Joe, Krieg from Borderlands 2, Peacock/Big Band from Skullgirls, Blaziken, or any character from obscure games like Dokapon Kingdom, Dragon Warrior Monsters or Magic Pengel: Quest for Color just are not going to happen).

I've missed out on a lot of iconic games as a kid, but even so a lot of those characters ended up in Smash anyway, so I really don't have a lot to choose from in terms of who I would want.

This is one of the reasons why I'm so ride or die for Geno and why I keep saying Sakurai could end with Geno or pretty much do whatever he wanted after that and I wouldn't ask for anything else because Geno is the top of my VERY small list of characters that I care about and the separation between him and Sora is unbelievable in terms of how much I want the blue puppet boi.

God, I really feel like he's coming though. Sakurai, GIVE ME STRENGTH!

EDIT: Little fun fact about me, originally the my list was ACTUALLY just Geno and Goemon. I was so upset with Kingdom Hearts 3 that I pulled Sora from my list out of spite, but the 12-yr-old in me eventually worked it's way through and my love for the series runs too deep to not want Sora in Smash. I root for it to happen for the younger me who would cry tears of joy at the reveal even if older and jaded me could care less. Spyro is a recent addition after playing and completing most of Spyro 1 from Reignited Trilogy. Lots of people want Crash and we got Banjo & Kazooie, but Spyro was the character I grew up with as my 3D platformer favorite and I would love to play as him in Smash.
They aren't necessarily even all my picks is the funny thing. I don't have a huge connection to Sora for example besides playing some of Kingdom Hearts 1 ages ago, but I recognize his place in the community and I recognize how cool a moveset could be with him, so he's on my top five because I think he'd be a huge crowd pleasing character and super fun to play. That said, Halo and Super Mario RPG are probably the biggest two characters from my younger days that aren't now in Smash (of things that make sense to be in Smash, I don't think COD: Black Ops, Little Big Planet, or InFamous will be getting characters in Smash any time soon lol), so they're naturally at the top of my list. Geno is really the only request from the Smash 4 era I really have left (I've admittedly fallen way off the Isaac train as I've just kind of not been as interested since he was announced as an Assist Trophy).

But I've always tried to cast a super wide net and these are the characters I've come up with. There are lots of really great choices I've come across too and I've always played lots of games across consoles, so I recognize a lot of legacies and characters personally. There's very little third party wise (that are likely to get characters in Smash) that could disappoint me honestly. I love the crossover element of Smash and that was the core I attached to as opposed to Nintendo specifically like I know some fans have, so expanding the crossover with more universes I know, love, and/or respect is where my interest lie. KOS-MOS and Geno are the weird two, but they sort of skate by on technicalities haha.

I have a friend who barely plays Smash except for when company is over on rare occasion and won't buy DLC... but he would 100% buy Spyro if he came out, so I've experienced a little bit of the Spyro hype from afar haha.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I support this, also because of Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo and Conker are part of that extended universe
Not to mention other links between the BK and DK series, like Tiptup and Gnawty. Plus there's a theory I'm a bit fond of that suggests Banjo could be one of the Brothers Bear from DKC3's Northern Kremisphere. Rareware sure liked to interconnect their games back then!

Also I love how you can argue that three of the "never ever" Smash picks are all part of the same universe (:ultkrool:, :ultbanjokazooie: and
geno icon 2.png
).

Mega_Mario_Man

Smash Cadet
Fair enough

Large Kamek is only a phase of the bonus boss, but it has happened. It's just that it only happened once, and that once was less than a year ago lmao

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I have to apologize, Griselda, but I ended up liking your drawing so much, that I ended up drawing fanart of the character, while attempting to make him slightly edgier (which actually looks more like some Waluigi and Puppetmon got mixed into his design). I hope you don't mind. It's just a rough sketch, but I'd like to ink and color it if you like how it came out:

Also, this is the first time I've been able to use my tablet in months, so I'm still a little rusty, I apologize. But thank you, Griselda, for inspiring me to do some art! :D There's just something about living dolls/puppets that I think make such cool characters and your design struck a cord with me, haha.
There was a joke about a rival Geno that I really didn't have the opportunity to present, and I'm glad (yet sad) that no one thought of it yet.
His name could be:

Geno Black.

I'm sorry.

I find this character concept sick though. Well, I'd say let's run with the concept of this doll being made by the creator of Geno, the doll, as a nemesis-type character. Since the Geno doll is considered to be the hero, then this doll was made to be the villain.

Other name suggestions I had are:
Diavolo, which is the Italian word for Devil.
Dopple, since he vaguely resembles Geno.
Or even Nette. Like "Marionette" but without "Mario", eh, eh? It's like a puppet (like Geno)... but without Mario. And it has an irony to it since marionettes have strings held by a puppet master, but he doesn't serve the higher authority. He's got no strings to hold him—*gets shot*

I'm not so keen on him being named Gepetto, as the story of Pinocchio details the maker of the puppet be Gepetto. Perhaps the maker of the dolls is a Toad named... Gepettoad.

Regardless, "Xeno" as I'll dub him currently, probably specializes in his arms shifting into melee weapons (as evidenced by the sword in the art), since Geno's arms shift into ranged weapons.

He disagrees with the concept of the stars granting wishes, and rebels against the higher authority. He would also probably believe that the things that are prevented due to wishes should happen anyway. One of those things, apparently, is Mario rescuing Peach from Bowser (which might be noted as one of the most common wishes upon the stars). Xeno makes his way to Bowser's Keep and offers Bowser a chance to defeat Mario. However, all he has to do is destroy the Star Road once again.

Bowser vaguely remembers the concept before Xeno explains that without the Star Road, the wishes that allow Mario to rescue Peach from Bowser's clutches will never be granted. Bowser immediately warms up to the idea, and agrees to work with Xeno. Bowser, with Xeno, ends up destroying the Star Road and scatters the pieces across the world, leaving various baddies in charge of watching over each piece. Bowser then nabs Peach, Mario pursues and fails to stop Bowser. In the clash, Mario encounters Xeno and thinks he looks familiar, but clearly identifies him as an enemy. Xeno reveals that he grows stronger with every wish that goes ungranted, and helps Bowser knock Mario out of the castle.

Mario ends up unconscious in the Forest Maze. Eventually, another star descends to earth and rediscovers the Geno doll and inhabits it. Geno is reborn and ready to undo the actions of his fallen comrade. Without any hesitation, he marches straight to Mario's Pad to recruit the plumber to solve the problem. Of course, Mario isn't there. Luigi IS, however. The two would greet each other, Geno already knows who Luigi is, and Luigi is offered a chance to help both Mario and Geno save the day. Luigi accepts the offer, though reluctantly.

The two rush to Bowser's Keep to try and help Mario, but they're too late. They encounter Bowser and Xeno working as a team. Geno has an encounter with Xeno, each has a moment to reflect their opposing ideals, and Geno and Luigi still lose.

Before this goes on any longer, they retreat, find Mario, yada yada, there's a lot more to this that can be written. Basically, it would be a good way to flesh out Geno in how he reacts to one of his own kind turning to the dark side.

Crapton of potential here, I'd say.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
There was a joke about a rival Geno that I really didn't have the opportunity to present, and I'm glad (yet sad) that no one thought of it yet.
His name could be:

Geno Black.

I'm sorry.

I find this character concept sick though. Well, I'd say let's run with the concept of this doll being made by the creator of Geno, the doll, as a nemesis-type character. Since the Geno doll is considered to be the hero, then this doll was made to be the villain.

Other name suggestions I had are:
Diavolo, which is the Italian word for Devil.
Dopple, since he vaguely resembles Geno.
Or even Nette. Like "Marionette" but without "Mario", eh, eh? It's like a puppet (like Geno)... but without Mario. And it has an irony to it since marionettes have strings held by a puppet master, but he doesn't serve the higher authority. He's got no strings to hold him—*gets shot*

I'm not so keen on him being named Gepetto, as the story of Pinocchio details the maker of the puppet be Gepetto. Perhaps the maker of the dolls is a Toad named... Gepettoad.

Regardless, "Xeno" as I'll dub him currently, probably specializes in his arms shifting into melee weapons (as evidenced by the sword in the art), since Geno's arms shift into ranged weapons.

He disagrees with the concept of the stars granting wishes, and rebels against the higher authority. He would also probably believe that the things that are prevented due to wishes should happen anyway. One of those things, apparently, is Mario rescuing Peach from Bowser (which might be noted as one of the most common wishes upon the stars). Xeno makes his way to Bowser's Keep and offers Bowser a chance to defeat Mario. However, all he has to do is destroy the Star Road once again.

Bowser vaguely remembers the concept before Xeno explains that without the Star Road, the wishes that allow Mario to rescue Peach from Bowser's clutches will never be granted. Bowser immediately warms up to the idea, and agrees to work with Xeno. Bowser, with Xeno, ends up destroying the Star Road and scatters the pieces across the world, leaving various baddies in charge of watching over each piece. Bowser then nabs Peach, Mario pursues and fails to stop Bowser. In the clash, Mario encounters Xeno and thinks he looks familiar, but clearly identifies him as an enemy. Xeno reveals that he grows stronger with every wish that goes ungranted, and helps Bowser knock Mario out of the castle.

Mario ends up unconscious in the Forest Maze. Eventually, another star descends to earth and rediscovers the Geno doll and inhabits it. Geno is reborn and ready to undo the actions of his fallen comrade. Without any hesitation, he marches straight to Mario's Pad to recruit the plumber to solve the problem. Of course, Mario isn't there. Luigi IS, however. The two would greet each other, Geno already knows who Luigi is, and Luigi is offered a chance to help both Mario and Geno save the day. Luigi accepts the offer, though reluctantly.

The two rush to Bowser's Keep to try and help Mario, but they're too late. They encounter Bowser and Xeno working as a team. Geno has an encounter with Xeno, each has a moment to reflect their opposing ideals, and Geno and Luigi still lose.

Before this goes on any longer, they retreat, find Mario, yada yada, there's a lot more to this that can be written. Basically, it would be a good way to flesh out Geno in how he reacts to one of his own kind turning to the dark side.

Crapton of potential here, I'd say.
Oh, wow, we've had like.. four different backstories presented for my boy so far? It's all over the place, but I think that chaotic nature is rather fitting, for the moment. I'm still leaning towards Geppetto, though, since I chose it less for explicitly comparing him to the dollmaker and more for it matching his design in my eyes while also being a face-value Pinocchio reference just as a name. And I think 'Geno and Geppetto' rolls off the tongue well. ..Besides, I envisioned him to be a main antagonistic force himself rather than working for/with Bowser, so it's likely he'd be building his own puppet army in his campaign, anyway - so in a way he could be the dollmaker.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Diavolo? Dopple (Doppio)? Umm, dude, those names are already taken.

It sounds Bizarre to be part of an Adventure but it's true.

:dazwa:.

Griselda

Smash Lord
..Yeah, I'm sticking with Geppetto. I'll allow Xeno because he's an edgy, rebellious teen.

Griselda: Are you ready for school, Geppetto?
Geppetto: Ugh, moooooom.. I told you already, it's Xeno now..
Griselda: Whatever you say, dear. Have a nice day at school.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, there's a topic I talked about on Papageno's Discord last week that I don't believe I've talked about here and it's some weird aspects of the Cacomallow leak. As you guys know, the NoA ambassador said it was fake because Nintendo's legal team wasn't freaking out about it but the conversations were a bit... Off. What was most unusual was how indignant he would get about it. Granted, I suppose this isn't too unusual since he notably didn't like fake leakers and was one of the major people involved in exposing Loz18 last year but he was really heavy handed about it. "It's 100% fake, end of discussion." That sort of thing. A similar message was even pinned to the group for a time. As Slender Slender has shown here and elsewhere, he was able to point out a lot of the perplexing technical aspects and did this in the group too. I felt bad because this just made the NoA ambassador angry because they didn't want any discussion on it... At all. Basically Slender was told repeatedly to not talk about it and it was very unusual and out of character.

Some questions still remain for me: why did the topic make the NoA ambassador so angry and why was all discussion totally shut down, even when strong technical evidence was brought forward? Again, this was very unusual because discussions got as heated as the starling and the group overwhelmingly got along most days. The NoA ambassador was pretty forward with us for a vast majority of things. Again, this is the same guy that shared scores of rumors and hints with us that ultimately came true but why did Cacomallow hit such a sore spot?

I bring this up here because it's now been over a month and a half and still no one has claimed the video footage. Nobody has been able to perfectly imitate the video footage. As the NoA ambassador pointed out to us, the Ken leaker was easily found but not squashed until after the November Direct. Why the delay? Why would there be a delay here? As others have pointed out, betrayal of an NDA is a huge deal so there's not really a legal precedent against "spoiling the surprise." All in all, it's a very mysterious circumstance with equally mysterious, uh, mysteries surrounding it.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I do question, if someone is going to make a fake leak that involves images, models and footage and alot of work, why use Mallow of all characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom