• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Pretty obvious he isn't talking about Smash people, he was literally saying today he wasn't sure about it happenning.

D

Deleted member

It's crazy how I've gone from "man tell me if I need to skip the Game Awards if there's no Smash" to wanting to watch it just because of how much non-Smash stuff there might be as well. Like, it's kind of hard to believe that Nintendo had a mostly underwhelming E3 (SORRY but Banjo and Breath of the Wild 2 cannot carry a whole E3) and now they're going to knock the VGAs on its ass.

Just off the top of my head, personally upsetting things for me would be:

Metroid Prime 4 is straight cancelled and Retro Studios is closing its doors
Mother 3 is getting localized but it's censored to all hell
Square and Nintendo are going to make a new Mario RPG but Geno isn't in the reveal trailer
Nintendo announces the sale of most of its IPs to Disney
Fire Emblem fighter 5, even Ephraim tbh

Things that would upset others but I would revel in:

Pokemon is cancelled
Sora is hard deconfirmed forever/is a mii costume
Sakurai is retiring when he's done with Ultimate, leaving us with the definitive Smash Bros until the end of time.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Okay, I did get permission and this will blow your minds. I actually talked to the guy who talked to the Mii costume leaker who talked to him who talked to Papagenos. Got it memorized? Okay, so I talked to this guy and he showed me the original messages he got for both Mallow/Smithy and the Banjo costumes and all the SNK stuff. As a recap, it was said that Terry's costumes would be: Geese Howard, Haomaru, Nakoruru, "Classic SNK costumes", and Kyo. The problem with this is that, reading the original message, the guy never said that these were costumes. "Costumes" was actually a typo and simply meant characters. Why's that important? It wasn't a costume leak... It was a spirit board leak! The person who read this misinterpreted the original message, meaning the leaker wasn't wrong, he was right because he forgot to specify in his message what the list actually was. It was Terry's spirit board, which he got 100%!
Good lord I’m starting to get nervous about all this. If you mind me asking what do you think about Lloyd still? Is he gonna get TKOd or does he still have a shot at the two “smash 4 asset spots” or is it not two anymore.
Also I’m scared that Pikmin is gonna get brutalized or something.
Steve would legitimately upset me. After everything I was put through for an entire year with Steveposters raiding Discords and raiding Smashboards it's completely ruined Steve being in Smash for me, and I never want him in; I don't want them to have the satisfaction of even getting a Mii Costume
I thought I had made my peace with Steve, but with Chief being an actual possibility now my resentment is starting to bubble up again.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Pretty obvious he isn't talking about Smash people, he was literally saying today he wasn't sure about it happenning.
Yeah, it doesn't sound like something Smash related. Sounds more like something elating to a singular IP. I doubt they would announce something a cancelation at the Game Awards, so I think it may be a series going into a less then favorable direction.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So, master list of things that could upset people:
--Metroid Prime 4 canned/delayed again
--Bayonetta 3 canned/delayed again
--SMT canned/delayed again
--Steve/Jonesy/FE snatching Fighter 5's spot
--Sakurai announcing he's retiring
--Reggie saying the next wave of DLC is the last
--Earthbound/Mother announcement, but still no Mother 3
--Smash not winning any awards
--Another bad Paper Mario game

I think we're looking into this too hard and Fatman is watching us like

1555366290184.jpg

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it doesn't sound like something Smash related. Sounds more like something elating to a singular IP. I doubt they would announce something a cancelation at the Game Awards, so I think it may be a series going into a less then favorable direction.
Legend of Zelda has been bought out by the makers of Untitled Goose Game! You heard it here first.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Alright, I think I'm ready to lock in my predictions for TGAs, starting with the award categories:
-= Game of the Year =-
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is my pick, but I think Death Stranding might just take it. Because **** you.

-= Best Action Game =-
It's a toss-up between DMC5 and Astral Chain, though I think DMC5 has a better chance.

-= Best Action Game =-
Either Link's Awakening Remake or Death Stranding, leaning more on the side of the latter because I legit think that these awards are full of it.

-= Best Art Direction =-
Either Gris or Sayonana Wild Hearts, leaning more towards the latter. I remember seeing the trailer for Wild Hearts and thinking "Wow, that game has a really cool art style".

-= Best Audio Design =-
Death Stranding lel

-= Best Community Support =-
From what I've heard, FFXIV has been pretty good with regards to updates and expansions. Fortnite has also been considerably good at keeping it's fans happy, so either of those two will take it.

-= Content Creator of the Year =-
I don't know who any of these people are. Where did they come from? Why do people like them? ****in' zoomers...

-= Esports Coach of the Year =-
I don't ****in' know, they're all weirdos. Maybe one of the asians will get it? They tend to really get into Esports.

-= Best Esports Event =-
Fortnite World Cup lel

-= Esports Game of the Year =-
I want to see Fortnite win. **** Overwatch.

-= Best Esports Host =-
Literally who?

-= Best Esports Player =-
I'm gonna go with Jay Won, because I feel like fate loves puns.

-= Best Esports Team =-
San Fransisco can slide into the ocean for all I care.

-= Best Family Game =-
It's between Super Mario Maker 2 and Smash Ultimate, and I really think Smash is going to win this category.

-= Best Fighting Game =-
DoA6 has a terrible DLC thing, Jump Force was a huge disappointment, and nobody cares about MK11, so either SamSho or Smash will take it. I'm leaning once again towards Smash, but I wouldn't be mad to see SamSho get it.

-= Fresh Indie Game =-
If you aren't hoping Untitled Goose Game gets this award, then I hope you step on a Lego with your bare feet.

-= Best Game Direction =-
They're gonna give it to Death Stranding, aren't they?

-= Games for Impact =-
Going with Gris because everythign else looks like pretentious garbage. Not that Gris is any better, mind you, but it's definitely better than Life is Strange 2.

-= Best Indie Game =-
It's a toss-up between Untitled Goose Game and Baba Is You, and while I'd like to see the former win, the latter is pobably going to take it.

-= Best Mobile Game =-
CALL OF DUTY MOBILE BAYBEEE

-= Best Multiplayer Game =-
I've heard good things about Modern Warfare, and people generally like Apex Legends... hmm, I guess I'll go with Call of Duty.

-= Best Narrative =-
Death Stranding is an amazing game about the struggles of Hideo Kojima overcoming Konami's ice-cold grip of standards and reality so he can make a game where you play as a UPS man delivering semen to the disparate colonies of a post-apocolyptic earth who fights off marauders with his own urine. A truly inspiring tale of overcoming adversity.

-= Best Ongoing Game =-
Fortnite lel

-= Best Performance =-
*Norman Reedus crying on a beach with a baby in his arms*

-= Best RPG =-
Honestly suprised Warm Brooch: Triplicate Towers isn't in this category. I've heard good things about The Outer Worlds, so I'll go with that.

-= Best Score & Music (Kind of thought they were the same thing, but whatever) =-
There's four normal games and then there's the one rythem game. I think the rythem game is going to take it.

-= Best Sports/Racing Game =-
Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled better win this or I have lost faith in humanity.

-= Best Strategy Game =-
Fire Emblem: Three Houses no question, though I wouldn't be mad if Wargroove somehow got it.

-= Best VR/AR Game =-
I've turned myself in a VR Game, Morty! I'M VR GAME RIIIIIIIICK!
... but in all seriousness, Beat Sabre is probably going to take this.
-= What I Think Will Happen =-
- I think we'll definitely see something of BotW 2 at this event, either a new trailer or a quick gameplay demonstration.
- I also think a Smash reveal is inevitable. I know a lot of you guys have doubts, but let's be real here, this is the perfect place to reveal the final Fighters Pass character: It's a big venue, plenty of people will be watching, the deadline of February is fast approaching, and the next Nintendo Direct is most likely coming around March as it usually does, so a reveal here is very likely.
- Batman Arkham Legacy is looking more and more legit by the second. Sabi has already been very open about this game, and a new website domain has recently been registered, so I think it's very likely we'll see it revealed there.
- There have also been rumors of a new Crash game, and given how Crash games seem to always release in the summer, and it wasn't shown off in Sony's recent State of Play, it would make sense for it to be revealed now at TGAs.

-= What I Want To Happen =-
- C'mon Reggie, GIVE US MOTHER 3! I'm sure a lot of us were suprised to see Reggie coming to TGAs, and while it's about 99.9% likely that he's just there to enjoy the show and there'll be no reveals by or centered around him, a part of me is secretly hoping that tonight is the night we finally get Mother 3 released stateside, and who better to reveal that kind of thing than the guy whose entire career had been rife with people hounding him for it? I dunno, seems like a long shot, but crazier things have happened.
- I've also heard rumors regarding a potential Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie remake called Banjo-Redooie. It sounds way too good to be true, and honestly it most likely is, but goddammit I hope I'm wrong. I would absolutely KILL for an HD remake of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie!
I'm gonna get this out of the way right off the bat, I don't think FP5 is going to be KOS-MOS or Master Chief. In Chief's case, we already have a Microsoft character with Banjo, and since this Fighters Pass has yet to bring in more than 1 fighter per company, I'm highly doubtful that it'll be Chief. And as for KOS-MOS, while she would fit as a Bandai Namco character, she comes across to me as the kind of character people are trying to meme into existence rather than an actual pick. Speaking of, while I know that relevancy or being recognizable isn't as important as being fun, I think that fan demand plays a significant role in who gets in to Smash.

Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo... all of these characters were highly requested by the fans despite being literal who's with respect to gaming as a whole, and they all got in. Now compare them to KOS-MOS, who basically showed up last thursday and, depsite not having a significant fanbase, for some reason has become the frontrunner for FP5 in most people's eyes, in spite of the lack of solid evidence for her inclusion; the best we've had in terms of KOS-MOS rumors/leaks are a bunch of 4chan posts that have been proven false (BIG shocker, that) and lack of a solid disconfirmation by insiders, which seems to be more due to general apathy than anything, since Sabi never bothered to ask his source about her whatsoever.

And compare her to everyone else who's made it in the Fighters Pass: Joker may not be everyone's first choice, but Persona is a massively beloved series with a passionate fanbase that finally broke into the mainstream with Persona 5, a widely-acclaimed game with a unique style that can't be overlooked. Hero was definitely not a lot of people's first choice, but the Dragon Quest series is considered a religion in Japan and no doubt countless people over there have wanted a Dragon Quest character for god knows how long. Banjo may not be the most trendy character around nor the most active, but the series has numerous longtime fans who have wanted to see them get into Smash since Melee. Terry may not be everyone's top choice for a fighting game character, but he's emblematic of an oft-overlooked segment of gaming history that stretches back several decades and is still going going strong to this day.

Now compare them to KOS-MOS. Xenogears certainly has it's fans, and the Xenoblade series is massively popular these days, but until recently you've never heard anyone seriously push for KOS-MOS as a fighter. Rex & Pyra/Mythra? Sure. Elma? Perhaps. KOS-MOS? Not even close. She's always been something of an outlier in terms of fan demand. She may have some supporters, but it's not very visible compared to literally anyone else. So imagine her being lumped in with Hero, Terry, or Banjo. Something about that image just doesn't feel right. And no, it's not because she's a girl. Or a robot. Or an anime swordfighter. Or a Namco character. She just feels off, and the attention she's getting right now comes across as forced.

Other characters who I feel won't be FP5 are Arle and Reimu. While Arle may be considered the protagonist of the Puyo-Puyo, I think a lot of people are overestimating her importance to the series as a whole. Much like Tetris before it, I think the Puyos themselves are more emblematic to the series than she is, and much like Chief above, we've already gotten a SEGA owned character for the Fighters Pass, so I'm highly doubtful she'd get in. And as for Reimu, she's literally a meme of a character. The only reason people are talking about her is because /v/ has been trying to meme her into Smash for years. The "Music Leak" has been the only thing outside of that that could point towards her in any way. No insiders have heard her name, no other leaks have come up for her, very few people outside of /v/ have wanted her before the "Music Leak", and she's niche as all get out, even more so than Geno or even Sora, because at least those guys are highly requested by most Smash fans.
This is more of a gut feeling than anything based on what we've heard from insiders, but I really think Doomguy is going to be FP5. He's dark, he's brutal, he's american, he seems like the kind of crazy character we'd see at TGAs. Plus, I really have faith in the CacoMallow post being not only true, but also indicative of Doomguy as a fighter rather than any other Bethesda character. Sure, Skyrim is Todd's baby and Fallout is widely beloved, but Doom just seems to fit more with not only Nintendo (more DOOM games have appeared on Nintendo's consoles than Elder Scrolls and Fallout games combined), but the Smash roster as a whole rather than Dovakin or Vault Boy, who are very boring in comparison. And let's be real, if you were going to include Doomguy as a costume, you wouldn't throw in a Cacodemon hat. The Praetor Suit would be more than enough.

The other character I think would have a chance to be revealed at TGAs is Crash. It's likely that he's going to make an appearance at the show anyways, so wouldn't it be the dopest **** if he was revealed as the last Fighters Pass character? He would fit in with color theory, being orange, and if Geoff's statement of nothing from the show being leaked beforehand is to be taken as true, Crash would probably be one of the more likely characters since there's been nary a leak even involving him. As far as everyone's concerned, Crash isn't even in the cards. It almost makes him the perfect suprise reveal, doesn't it?

I also think it's possible, though very unlikely, that we'll be getting a Sony-owned character as FP5. Out of those, I think Ratchet & Clank and Kratos have the best chance. But aside from that, I have no idea who FP5 could be for sure. All I know is that it's finally all coming to an end, and regardless of who it is, I'll be happy to at least know.
Okay, I did get permission and this will blow your minds. I actually talked to the guy who talked to the Mii costume leaker who talked to him who talked to Papagenos. Got it memorized? Okay, so I talked to this guy and he showed me the original messages he got for both Mallow/Smithy and the Banjo costumes and all the SNK stuff. As a recap, it was said that Terry's costumes would be: Geese Howard, Haomaru, Nakoruru, "Classic SNK costumes", and Kyo. The problem with this is that, reading the original message, the guy never said that these were costumes. "Costumes" was actually a typo and simply meant characters. Why's that important? It wasn't a costume leak... It was a spirit board leak! The person who read this misinterpreted the original message, meaning the leaker wasn't wrong, he was right because he forgot to specify in his message what the list actually was. It was Terry's spirit board, which he got 100%!
Oh ****, that actually makes a whole lot of sense! It would totally explain the vague "Classic SNK" thing, which is kind of weird in the context of costumes... wait a second...
Got it memorized?
Is this a hint, my dude? IS IT FINALLY LEA'S MOMENT TO SHINE?!
Also, I asked about the Mallow/Smithy thing. It was another typo. It was supposed to mean two separate costumes.
I knew it, I ****ING KNEW IT!
>Doomguy as 6
>officially known as Doomslayer and goes to Hell and beats up demoms
>666 is the number of the beast/satan

>Geno as 7
>Legend of the 7 Stars

If Sakurai really did this on purpose holy ****
What did those Demoms ever do to him?

D

Deleted member

So, master list of things that could upset people:
--Metroid Prime 4 canned/delayed again
--Bayonetta 3 canned/delayed again
--SMT canned/delayed again
--Steve/Jonesy/FE snatching Fighter 5's spot
--Sakurai announcing he's retiring
--Reggie saying the next wave of DLC is the last
--Earthbound/Mother announcement, but still no Mother 3
--Smash not winning any awards
--Another bad Paper Mario game

I think we're looking into this too hard and Fatman is watching us like

View attachment 252440
Fatman's a good guy, he isn't smugly looking at us squirm, he's probably near cutting his hands off to stop himself from just spilling the beans.

D

Deleted member

Ephraim would be a pipe dream pick for me tbh. Everyone would be totally pissed but I’d be down for that
Man don't get me started, I love that guy. He's everything I ever wanted in a Fire Emblem pick for Smash
- Not a sword user
- Not blue haired
- total badass personality (actually has a personality *bang bang*)
- best Fire Emblem game
- best lord
- ****ed his sister

ahem

I would be hype in my heart but on principle I would hiss at a Fire Emblem addition.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hmm... Could it be a Doomslayer thing? Upsets that fan base if he isn't in. Confirms the Mallowhat leak is fake. But doesn't actually change Geno's chances? Just thinking outloud here.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
What if the bad news is that fatman secretly got ninja'd and they're going to make a public example of him at the game awards, and we'll have to see Geoff keeley shirtless with an executioners mask and a big headsman's axe that consists of an elongated can of mountain dew, and a big stale Dorito?

I'm legit scared rn.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmm... Could it be a Doomslayer thing? Upsets that fan base if he isn't in. Confirms the Mallowhat leak is fake. But doesn't actually change Geno's chances? Just thinking outloud here.
I mean, how do they go about deconfirming the Mallowdemon leak? Do we really expect them to just come out and say it? The only way they could do it is to announce a Bethesda spirit event that has every frontrunner Bethesda could have as a character - Doom Guy, Vault Boy, Power Armor Fallout Protagonist Man, Vault Tec Salesman, Dragonborn, Commander Keen, Max Payne. Because like I mentioned yesterday, Bethesda is sort of low on characters that make a good costume. Cacodemon could come with literally any character, I mean, Terry came with Nakoruru (and I was predicting him to come with Marco), a different game, but same owners.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Alright, I think I'm ready to lock in my predictions for TGAs, starting with the award categories:
-= Game of the Year =-
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is my pick, but I think Death Stranding might just take it. Because **** you.

-= Best Action Game =-
It's a toss-up between DMC5 and Astral Chain, though I think DMC5 has a better chance.

-= Best Action Game =-
Either Link's Awakening Remake or Death Stranding, leaning more on the side of the latter because I legit think that these awards are full of it.

-= Best Art Direction =-
Either Gris or Sayonana Wild Hearts, leaning more towards the latter. I remember seeing the trailer for Wild Hearts and thinking "Wow, that game has a really cool art style".

-= Best Audio Design =-
Death Stranding lel

-= Best Community Support =-
From what I've heard, FFXIV has been pretty good with regards to updates and expansions. Fortnite has also been considerably good at keeping it's fans happy, so either of those two will take it.

-= Content Creator of the Year =-
I don't know who any of these people are. Where did they come from? Why do people like them? ****in' zoomers...

-= Esports Coach of the Year =-
I don't ****in' know, they're all weirdos. Maybe one of the asians will get it? They tend to really get into Esports.

-= Best Esports Event =-
Fortnite World Cup lel

-= Esports Game of the Year =-
I want to see Fortnite win. **** Overwatch.

-= Best Esports Host =-
Literally who?

-= Best Esports Player =-
I'm gonna go with Jay Won, because I feel like fate loves puns.

-= Best Esports Team =-
San Fransisco can slide into the ocean for all I care.

-= Best Family Game =-
It's between Super Mario Maker 2 and Smash Ultimate, and I really think Smash is going to win this category.

-= Best Fighting Game =-
DoA6 has a terrible DLC thing, Jump Force was a huge disappointment, and nobody cares about MK11, so either SamSho or Smash will take it. I'm leaning once again towards Smash, but I wouldn't be mad to see SamSho get it.

-= Fresh Indie Game =-
If you aren't hoping Untitled Goose Game gets this award, then I hope you step on a Lego with your bare feet.

-= Best Game Direction =-
They're gonna give it to Death Stranding, aren't they?

-= Games for Impact =-
Going with Gris because everythign else looks like pretentious garbage. Not that Gris is any better, mind you, but it's definitely better than Life is Strange 2.

-= Best Indie Game =-
It's a toss-up between Untitled Goose Game and Baba Is You, and while I'd like to see the former win, the latter is pobably going to take it.

-= Best Mobile Game =-
CALL OF DUTY MOBILE BAYBEEE

-= Best Multiplayer Game =-
I've heard good things about Modern Warfare, and people generally like Apex Legends... hmm, I guess I'll go with Call of Duty.

-= Best Narrative =-
Death Stranding is an amazing game about the struggles of Hideo Kojima overcoming Konami's ice-cold grip of standards and reality so he can make a game where you play as a UPS man delivering semen to the disparate colonies of a post-apocolyptic earth who fights off marauders with his own urine. A truly inspiring tale of overcoming adversity.

-= Best Ongoing Game =-
Fortnite lel

-= Best Performance =-
*Norman Reedus crying on a beach with a baby in his arms*

-= Best RPG =-
Honestly suprised Warm Brooch: Triplicate Towers isn't in this category. I've heard good things about The Outer Worlds, so I'll go with that.

-= Best Score & Music (Kind of thought they were the same thing, but whatever) =-
There's four normal games and then there's the one rythem game. I think the rythem game is going to take it.

-= Best Sports/Racing Game =-
Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled better win this or I have lost faith in humanity.

-= Best Strategy Game =-
Fire Emblem: Three Houses no question, though I wouldn't be mad if Wargroove somehow got it.

-= Best VR/AR Game =-
I've turned myself in a VR Game, Morty! I'M VR GAME RIIIIIIIICK!
... but in all seriousness, Beat Sabre is probably going to take this.
-= What I Think Will Happen =-
- I think we'll definitely see something of BotW 2 at this event, either a new trailer or a quick gameplay demonstration.
- I also think a Smash reveal is inevitable. I know a lot of you guys have doubts, but let's be real here, this is the perfect place to reveal the final Fighters Pass character: It's a big venue, plenty of people will be watching, the deadline of February is fast approaching, and the next Nintendo Direct is most likely coming around March as it usually does, so a reveal here is very likely.
- Batman Arkham Legacy is looking more and more legit by the second. Sabi has already been very open about this game, and a new website domain has recently been registered, so I think it's very likely we'll see it revealed there.
- There have also been rumors of a new Crash game, and given how Crash games seem to always release in the summer, and it wasn't shown off in Sony's recent State of Play, it would make sense for it to be revealed now at TGAs.

-= What I Want To Happen =-
- C'mon Reggie, GIVE US MOTHER 3! I'm sure a lot of us were suprised to see Reggie coming to TGAs, and while it's about 99.9% likely that he's just there to enjoy the show and there'll be no reveals by or centered around him, a part of me is secretly hoping that tonight is the night we finally get Mother 3 released stateside, and who better to reveal that kind of thing than the guy whose entire career had been rife with people hounding him for it? I dunno, seems like a long shot, but crazier things have happened.
- I've also heard rumors regarding a potential Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie remake called Banjo-Redooie. It sounds way too good to be true, and honestly it most likely is, but goddammit I hope I'm wrong. I would absolutely KILL for an HD remake of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie!
I'm gonna get this out of the way right off the bat, I don't think FP5 is going to be KOS-MOS or Master Chief. In Chief's case, we already have a Microsoft character with Banjo, and since this Fighters Pass has yet to bring in more than 1 fighter per company, I'm highly doubtful that it'll be Chief. And as for KOS-MOS, while she would fit as a Bandai Namco character, she comes across to me as the kind of character people are trying to meme into existence rather than an actual pick. Speaking of, while I know that relevancy or being recognizable isn't as important as being fun, I think that fan demand plays a significant role in who gets in to Smash.

Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo... all of these characters were highly requested by the fans despite being literal who's with respect to gaming as a whole, and they all got in. Now compare them to KOS-MOS, who basically showed up last thursday and, depsite not having a significant fanbase, for some reason has become the frontrunner for FP5 in most people's eyes, in spite of the lack of solid evidence for her inclusion; the best we've had in terms of KOS-MOS rumors/leaks are a bunch of 4chan posts that have been proven false (BIG shocker, that) and lack of a solid disconfirmation by insiders, which seems to be more due to general apathy than anything, since Sabi never bothered to ask his source about her whatsoever.

And compare her to everyone else who's made it in the Fighters Pass: Joker may not be everyone's first choice, but Persona is a massively beloved series with a passionate fanbase that finally broke into the mainstream with Persona 5, a widely-acclaimed game with a unique style that can't be overlooked. Hero was definitely not a lot of people's first choice, but the Dragon Quest series is considered a religion in Japan and no doubt countless people over there have wanted a Dragon Quest character for god knows how long. Banjo may not be the most trendy character around nor the most active, but the series has numerous longtime fans who have wanted to see them get into Smash since Melee. Terry may not be everyone's top choice for a fighting game character, but he's emblematic of an oft-overlooked segment of gaming history that stretches back several decades and is still going going strong to this day.

Now compare them to KOS-MOS. Xenogears certainly has it's fans, and the Xenoblade series is massively popular these days, but until recently you've never heard anyone seriously push for KOS-MOS as a fighter. Rex & Pyra/Mythra? Sure. Elma? Perhaps. KOS-MOS? Not even close. She's always been something of an outlier in terms of fan demand. She may have some supporters, but it's not very visible compared to literally anyone else. So imagine her being lumped in with Hero, Terry, or Banjo. Something about that image just doesn't feel right. And no, it's not because she's a girl. Or a robot. Or an anime swordfighter. Or a Namco character. She just feels off, and the attention she's getting right now comes across as forced.

Other characters who I feel won't be FP5 are Arle and Reimu. While Arle may be considered the protagonist of the Puyo-Puyo, I think a lot of people are overestimating her importance to the series as a whole. Much like Tetris before it, I think the Puyos themselves are more emblematic to the series than she is, and much like Chief above, we've already gotten a SEGA owned character for the Fighters Pass, so I'm highly doubtful she'd get in. And as for Reimu, she's literally a meme of a character. The only reason people are talking about her is because /v/ has been trying to meme her into Smash for years. The "Music Leak" has been the only thing outside of that that could point towards her in any way. No insiders have heard her name, no other leaks have come up for her, very few people outside of /v/ have wanted her before the "Music Leak", and she's niche as all get out, even more so than Geno or even Sora, because at least those guys are highly requested by most Smash fans.
This is more of a gut feeling than anything based on what we've heard from insiders, but I really think Doomguy is going to be FP5. He's dark, he's brutal, he's american, he seems like the kind of crazy character we'd see at TGAs. Plus, I really have faith in the CacoMallow post being not only true, but also indicative of Doomguy as a fighter rather than any other Bethesda character. Sure, Skyrim is Todd's baby and Fallout is widely beloved, but Doom just seems to fit more with not only Nintendo (more DOOM games have appeared on Nintendo's consoles than Elder Scrolls and Fallout games combined), but the Smash roster as a whole rather than Dovakin or Vault Boy, who are very boring in comparison. And let's be real, if you were going to include Doomguy as a costume, you wouldn't throw in a Cacodemon hat. The Praetor Suit would be more than enough.

The other character I think would have a chance to be revealed at TGAs is Crash. It's likely that he's going to make an appearance at the show anyways, so wouldn't it be the dopest **** if he was revealed as the last Fighters Pass character? He would fit in with color theory, being orange, and if Geoff's statement of nothing from the show being leaked beforehand is to be taken as true, Crash would probably be one of the more likely characters since there's been nary a leak even involving him. As far as everyone's concerned, Crash isn't even in the cards. It almost makes him the perfect suprise reveal, doesn't it?

I also think it's possible, though very unlikely, that we'll be getting a Sony-owned character as FP5. Out of those, I think Ratchet & Clank and Kratos have the best chance. But aside from that, I have no idea who FP5 could be for sure. All I know is that it's finally all coming to an end, and regardless of who it is, I'll be happy to at least know.

Oh ****, that actually makes a whole lot of sense! It would totally explain the vague "Classic SNK" thing, which is kind of weird in the context of costumes... wait a second...

Is this a hint, my dude? IS IT FINALLY LEA'S MOMENT TO SHINE?!

I knew it, I ****ING KNEW IT!

What did those Demoms ever do to him?
They grounded him for being too hardcore. Now they will pay.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
What if the bad news is that fatman secretly got ninja'd and they're going to make a public example of him at the game awards, and we'll have to see Geoff keeley shirtless with an executioners mask and a big headsman's axe that consists of an elongated can of mountain dew, and a big stale Dorito?

I'm legit scared rn.
Someone put Fatman’s face on arbiter and Geoff on Tartarus
5541E27E-DE7E-4CB0-B667-D94EEBE95C47.jpeg

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Murphy's Law:
"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Oh boy. Please share a bit more if you can. Better to just get it over with. Like, what topic does it have to do with specifically in Smash? We're only getting 3 characters post fighters pass or what? (that's my nightmare)

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm debating how much to share but, trust me, I take no joy in being the bearer of bad news. I'll just say it is Smash related if it does happen tonight and leave it at that.
KOS-MOS or Dovahkin, 100%. KOS-MOS would really anger the Xenoblade 2 fans after already getting shafted on Rex, and Dovahkin would kill Doomslayers chances, yet would most likely mean CacoMallow is real.

D

Deleted member

I'm debating how much to share but, trust me, I take no joy in being the bearer of bad news. I'll just say it is Smash related if it does happen tonight and leave it at that.
1540827934136.png

Welp, here comes a Fire Emblem character.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Am I reading too far into the “it’s Smash related if it happens tonight” phrasing? That makes it sound like it’s only Smash related if it happens tonight, but again maybe I’m thinking too hard

Anyway assuming it’s bad Smash news, somebody’s a Mii costume

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well for smash related things it sounds like it could be

The total amount of future dlc is getting announced and it's... less than desirable.
5 is announced and is going to be unpopular.
Sakurai is calling it quits once development wraps up.
Someone big is getting costumed, though not us.
Something that proves cacomallow fake

anything I missed?

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
A Fire Emblem character would be a huge stain on the Fighter's Pass imo. And the remaining slots. Sorry just an opinion.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Let me guess... just like with Smash 4 and King K. Rool, we're getting Mii Fighter costumes of some highly requested characters, none of which are Geno since according to you he's safe.

... I just hope the other blue boy is also safe.

D

Deleted member

Am I reading too far into the “it’s Smash related if it happens tonight” phrasing? That makes it sound like it’s only Smash related if it happens tonight, but again maybe I’m thinking too hard

Anyway assuming it’s bad Smash news, somebody’s a Mii costume
I think it's Smash related regardless of when it happens.

I feel like Lloyd's about to die for real, I'm sorry Lloydbros.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I mean, how do they go about deconfirming the Mallowdemon leak? Do we really expect them to just come out and say it? The only way they could do it is to announce a Bethesda spirit event that has every frontrunner Bethesda could have as a character - Doom Guy, Vault Boy, Power Armor Fallout Protagonist Man, Vault Tec Salesman, Dragonborn, Commander Keen, Max Payne. Because like I mentioned yesterday, Bethesda is sort of low on characters that make a good costume. Cacodemon could come with literally any character, I mean, Terry came with Nakoruru (and I was predicting him to come with Marco), a different game, but same owners.
Not sure. Just trying to think of how it would pertain to telling us, I guess. That's all.

Spirits could be a way, but I don't see any information like that coming out at the VGAs. Maybe if whatever is shown, a different version of a Doom/Bethesda Mii costume is shown instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom