• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The fan push for Geno could also be used as inspiration for the fans of other Mario characters to get attention to their fan favorites. Nintendo has a nasty habit of not utilizing their universes most of the time, instead just using either faceless Toads, random mooks or cat baby metal palette swaps. What they did with Pauline is great but more can be done. Use their spinoffs to bring attention to characters and test the waters with their popularity. They could be sitting on very marketable characters and not know it.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
After all these years...
I’m so excited man XD I backed this game on Kickstarter and I’m so happy it’s finally done lol

Oh, here’s a Geno related topic! If Geno was a Robot Master/Order of No Quarter Knight, what would his name, weapon, and stage be? (Starman in an observatory with a star gun? Puppet Knight in an abandoned toy factory?)
I think Starry Knight would work. Uses a star beam cannon and the stage would be Hills of Stars.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Pineapple on pizza? Yes, it works. Sweet-salty-savory is a beautiful combination of things. For example, pineapple on pizza with ham/bacon, jalapenos, and Sriracha is God tier pizza. This is also why pineapple with sweet and sour chicken/pork or pineapple hot pepper bbq sauce with pulled pork/pork loin/pork chops are amazing too.
I never expected this betrayal from you of all people. I am sickened

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's honestly hard to stay on topic with Geno because, yes, I want Geno in Smash and to come back but what has brought me back year after year is the sense of community. I'll be honest with you all, the big essay is not going to cover a lot of topics that haven't been talked about in the past year. The point of the essay was to have virtually everything in one place instead of scattered across, god knows, literally hundreds of posts in the past year from many of the veterans and theorycrafters of this thread like KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 , Ovaltine Ovaltine , ForsakenM ForsakenM , Slender Slender , etc and, obviously, myself. We've beaten these topics to death but I figured but would be nice to have all the major talking points in one big ass post for reference in the coming months instead of fighting the usual battle of "tHeRe'S lITeRaLlY nOtHiNg GoInG fOr GeNo AnD yOu AlL aRe A cUlT aNd FaTmAn Is LiTeRaLlY tHe WoRsT pErSoN tO eVeR eXiSt EvEr BeCaUsE **** HiM tHaT's WhY."

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
It always amuses me when people will give **** to pineapple on pizza, but turn around and eat other sweet and salty or sweet and savory combinations.

The truth of the matter is about 60 percent if not higher of people who trash pineapple as a pizza topping? They've just never had it and are band wagoning.
Because it especially amuses me that this is an admin-sanctioned tangent, I’ll chime in: I’ve had it, and it’s such a ridiculously different flavor profile that I think that’s where the big debate comes in. Like, personally, even as someone who quite likes pineapple on its own, I’m very much not a fan. When I think of pizza, that kind of flavor comes nowhere close to what I’m looking for.

It sort of comes down to pizza as an archetype vs. pizza as a specific food. “Pizza” as an archetype can include many different things, I’ve even once had a really good dessert pizza. However, when most people think of pizza, it’s the regular cheese-and-pepperoni classic, and expecting that kind of flavor can horribly clash with the tang of the pineapple. I don’t really think that any other food has this big discrepancy, there’s generally not a singular accepted “sandwich”, for instance.

In other words: Pineapple does not belong anywhere even close to the pizza that most people consider... well, pizza, but using it as more of an archetype similar to a sandwich, that’s a different realm where basically anything goes.

Also, to keep things sort of on topic: Big day today with announcement streams from both Playstation and Nintendo, albeit indies-only from the latter. Going to be interesting to see what kind of announcements aren’t making it to the VGAs, especially with RE3 apparently being one on the Playstation side.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Here's the deal.

Anytime users in this thread, often myself, talk about leaks and the like it's often in terms of how it effects Geno and how it effects the game as a whole. That's fine. Bringing in characters like Demoman and the like that have no real attachment to the thread and jumping in to support them or say that that is your guess for Fighter 5 is entirely irrelevant to the thread. As stated multiple times you are MORE than allowed to do that in the Newcomer Speculation thread. We have been QUITE lenient on this thread because of how big the thread is, it's the biggest one right now (Congrats!), but me asking nicely to change the topic and being met with hostility might mean that we need to be more strict with the thread. Not trying to say that we SHOULD but if need be we can. All I'm asking is to keep it generalized around Geno. If it effects him or his chances in Smash? Go for it. If it's just to say that you think it's a certain character that isn't Geno that is 5, or to support another character, then take it to it's appropriate thread. That's all I'm asking.
That’s seriously what started this? The demoman post? That’s a joke term we came up a few days ago for Geno+Doomslayer, so it actually was on topic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Because it especially amuses me that this is an admin-sanctioned tangent, I’ll chime in: I’ve had it, and it’s such a ridiculously different flavor profile that I think that’s where the big debate comes in. Like, personally, even as someone who quite likes pineapple on its own, I’m very much not a fan. When I think of pizza, that kind of flavor comes nowhere close to what I’m looking for.

It sort of comes down to pizza as an archetype vs. pizza as a specific food. “Pizza” as an archetype can include many different things, I’ve even once had a really good dessert pizza. However, when most people think of pizza, it’s the regular cheese-and-pepperoni classic, and expecting that kind of flavor can horribly clash with the tang of the pineapple. I don’t really think that any other food has this big discrepancy, there’s generally not a singular accepted “sandwich”, for instance.

In other words: Pineapple does not belong anywhere even close to the pizza that most people consider... well, pizza, but using it as more of an archetype similar to a sandwich, that’s a different realm where basically anything goes.
On this front, I do agree. I'd argue that a lot of it has to do with the type of cheese too. Mozzarella pairs very well with pineapple, my opinion. I believe pineapple and sour fruits pair well with mild and cream cheeses like brie, Camembert, ricotta, and, well, cream cheese. For example, recently went to a French restaurant in London with my wife. Our appetizer was Camembert croquettes with a Syrah and cranberry reduction sauce. Fantastic! I disagree with pineapple pairing well with sharp cheeses unless it's very sparce. For example, strawberries and gorgonzola are pretty groovy together. Same with apples and cheddar. Pineapple and Parmesan/Parmigano Romano is very jarring and almost too intense. It's about balance at the end of the day.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The fan push for Geno could also be used as inspiration for the fans of other Mario characters to get attention to their fan favorites. Nintendo has a nasty habit of not utilizing their universes most of the time, instead just using either faceless Toads, random mooks or cat baby metal palette swaps. What they did with Pauline is great but more can be done. Use their spinoffs to bring attention to characters and test the waters with their popularity. They could be sitting on very marketable characters and not know it.
I do hope that if Nintendo at least tries out utilizing a formerly one-off character like Geno in Smash and beyond and it proves successful that they would possibly also use others from throughout the series more often. It’s pretty crazy to me that something like the new Crash Team Racing reboot really “got it” in terms of including characters both standard and niche from throughout the franchise whereas spinoffs like Mario Kart and Mario Party just really dont. The best thing I can say about the Mario franchise recently is bringing back the Koopa Kids in a big way after they were sidelined for over well over a decade. I just wish they’d keep going further.

That’s seriously what started this? The demoman post? That’s a joke term we came up a few days ago for Geno+Doomslayer, so it actually was on topic.
If it were just a one-off demoman post I don’t think anyone would really care. But the fact is it’s been over a week of people making unironic support posts and theories about random characters that aren’t Geno that could go in either the respective character thread or the newcomer thread rather in the support thread for a specific character. I don’t think it’s that crazy to try to reign that in.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
After all these years...
I’m so excited man XD I backed this game on Kickstarter and I’m so happy it’s finally done lol

Oh, here’s a Geno related topic! If Geno was a Robot Master/Order of No Quarter Knight, what would his name, weapon, and stage be? (Starman in an observatory with a star gun? Puppet Knight in an abandoned toy factory?)
Geno goes a lot better with the Shovel Knight aesthetic than with Mega Man's imo. His name HAS to be Astral Knight.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Pineapple does not belong on pizza.
Geno belongs in Smash Bros though.
I think pineapple on pizza is a lot like Geno. If you had it when you were younger you’ll have stronger affinity for it because of nostalgia and the place it holds in your palate. But over the years it’s been memed to death over being “bad” and not belonging that people just hop on the hate bandwagon. But if more people would be willing to try it on quality pizza they’d see it has value and doesn’t have to just be seen as a weird niche thing.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I do hope that if Nintendo at least tries out utilizing a formerly one-off character like Geno in Smash and beyond and it proves successful that they would possibly also use others from throughout the series more often. It’s pretty crazy to me that something like the new Crash Team Racing reboot really “got it” in terms of including characters both standard and niche from throughout the franchise whereas spinoffs like Mario Kart and Mario Party just really dont. The best thing I can say about the Mario franchise recently is bringing back the Koopa Kids in a big way after they were sidelined for over well over a decade. I just wish they’d keep going further.

If it were just a one-off demoman post I don’t think anyone would really care. But the fact is it’s been over a week of people making unironic support posts and theories about random characters that aren’t Geno that could go in either the respective character thread or the newcomer thread rather in the support thread for a specific character. I don’t think it’s that crazy to try to reign that in.
I’d argue that a huge amount of that can be traced back to Geno in some way or form. Like, this is all speculation on who #5 and post-pass characters are, and who they are can inherently affect Geno’s chances. Like, if Sora ends up actually being #5, then that could very well be horrible for us if the costume returns, same with Waluigi(though I don’t mean to put down either character in general here, just their potential implications). If someone like Reimu got in and backed up that one leak without Geno, that would similarly be bad. Even characters that appear to have nothing to do with Geno could end up directly affecting his chances if they get in over other characters that would be worse for him, so all this strictness about “talk about Geno and Geno alone” seems unwarranted.
I think pineapple on pizza is a lot like Geno. If you had it when you were younger you’ll have stronger affinity for it because of nostalgia and the place it holds in your palate. But over the years it’s been memed to death over being “bad” and not belonging that people just hop on the hate bandwagon. But if more people would be willing to try it on quality pizza they’d see it has value and doesn’t have to just be seen as a weird niche thing.
I’ve tried it on quality, local pizza at a young age as someone who really liked pineapple, and immediately hated it and went back to pepperoni. I have never played SMRPG(yet, I will when it inevitably gets on SNES Online), yet I want Geno in for his really neat design and timed hit mechanics, after learning about him from his costume. This isn’t really a good comparison.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I’d argue that a huge amount of that can be traced back to Geno in some way or form. Like, this is all speculation on who #5 and post-pass characters are, and who they are can inherently affect Geno’s chances. Like, if Sora ends up actually being #5, then that could very well be horrible for us if the costume returns, same with Waluigi(though I don’t mean to put down either character in general, just their potential implications). If someone like Reimu got in and backed up that one leak without Geno, that would similarly be bad. Even characters that appear to have nothing to do with Geno could end up directly affecting his chances if they get in over other characters that would be worse for him, so all this strictness about “talk about Geno and Geno alone” seems unwarranted.

I’ve tried it on quality, local pizza at a young age as someone who really liked pineapple, and immediately hated it and went back to pepperoni. I have never played SMRPG(yet, I will when it inevitably gets on SNES Online), yet I want Geno in for his really neat design and timed hit mechanics. This isn’t really a good comparison.
Right but discussion about Sora and Reimu and how they’d factor into Geno’s chances is incredibly different than just blatant support posts about how much you want X character and your theories about how they could get in and their movelists without any sincere reference to Geno for pages at a time is not the same thing at all. Plenty of people have used the rationale that respective character support threads are inactive or the newcomer thread is “toxic” for reasons why they’ve decided to do all that in this thread but that doesn’t make it any less off-topic. It’s not that complicated.

There are some vocal people out there that tried SMRPG and just didn’t like Geno so you fall into that category of pineapple pizza consumers :)
(Also it wasn’t meant to be a serious analogy lol)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said, hopefully by the VGAs.

So, interesting thing with all this Sabi stuff, a lot of people have been messaging me on Discord providing stories and evidence that Sabi did awful things to them too. One of the guys was involved with the whole Power Rangers : Battle for the Grid scandal. Long story short: Sabi stole his info and blasted it without his permission, the company was actually really, really upset about it getting leaked, and said it caused a lot of problems in the company including one of his friends almost getting fired over it. He provided evidence for all of it, of course.

So, at the tail end of our conversation, he thanked me for listening and offered a hint about today. He said that the Indie presentation today would probably be worth watching. He suggested that there is going to be an announcement on par with Cadence of Hyrule but specifically mentioned it wasn't crossover related so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.
Interesting, I'm real curious to see that presentation now. We just got less than 4 hours and half until it starts. I'm hoping to finally hear the release date for Shantae and the Seven Sirens in that presentation.

I hope Geno's inclusion inspires fans of other forgotten Mario characters to stand up and fight for their character. I hope to see Wart's grand return in the Mario series proper someday as well as him getting into Smash. Without Doki Doki Panic/SMB2 the Bob-Ombs, Shy Guys, and Birdo wouldn't be a thing in the Mario series. Think about if there was no Bob-Omb Battlefield in SM64 or Shy Guy's Toy Box in Paper Mario? Doki Doki Panic literally changed the course of the franchise's history.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ive never seen someone so protectiving of a character that they would make sure that character and only that character is talked about. No other thread has this issue nor do people tell people to only talk about said character

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Ive never seen someone so protectiving of a character that they would make sure that character and only that character is talked about. No other thread has this issue nor do people tell people to only talk about said character
Other character support threads generally stay on topic and don’t dovetail into being mini support and discussion threads for other characters for pages and pages at a time. That’s the difference. Even funny social-y stuff and memes are pretty inoffensive but the times where discussion is completely taken over by another character when they could be spoken of elsewhere has just gotten to a breaking point over the past week or so.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I think Im going to ask psychoincarnate about including a line in the original post that permits off-topic discussions as long as they arent too long. I wanted to make a more formal petition of sorts with the usernames of everyone who supports this, but I’m not gonna have the time to get that done for awhile. If anyone else wants to do that you have my full support.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Here's that Geno moveset I promised. Happy Page 1996, Geno Boiz B)

Concept:
Geno in SMRPG is a glass cannon. He's fast, hits hard, and has insanely strong special moves. Geno in Smash will be much the same- very fast, has overwhelming stage control with various moves that cover a lot of space, and special moves that are very strong, but with a terrible disadvantage state that's hard to get out of, and a light weight that makes him easy to KO.

Stats:
Lightweight, a bit heavier than Mewtwo. Above average run speed, quick initial dash with a good foxtrot. One double jump, above average air acceleration and max speed, low-ish fall speed. Overall, above-average horizontal movement, but a bit floaty. Great in advantage, bad in disadvantage.

Timed Hits:
Certain moves will deal double damage if they're executed properly. If timing is slightly off, the move will still deal extra damage, but not the full amount. If timed perfectly, a special sound effect will play, as well as making Geno's eyes sparkle in his portrait. Exactly how timing works is different per-move this gimmick affects. (See Smash Attacks, Grab, and Specials)

Rocket Punches:
For some moves, Geno will attack by firing his hand off his body to punch far-away enemies. In SMRPG, because it was turn-based, the return trip wasn't a factor, but losing an hand temporarily will matter a lot in a real-time fighting game like Smash. For moves where Geno uses a rocket punch, he will actually lose hands, making it impossible to use certain moves until the hand returns.

Moves which only fire 1 rocket punch can be used even if one hand is gone, but using the "wrong" hand will slightly increase the move's start-up time. The default hand for one-handed rocket punches will be noted with each move. Moves that fire 2 rocket punches can still be used with one hand missing, but will obviously have no projectile on one side. The start-up time is unchanged. If no hand can be fired as a projectile, and Geno will make a disappointed facial expression. All the moves have (weak) hitboxes on his arm, regardless of whether a projectile is fired or not.

Rocket Punches act as projectiles. They travel from Geno's body straight forward until reaching a certain distance, before heading back to him with a strong homing. Geno moving won't affect the punches' trajectory. They have no hitbox on the way back. If reflected (only reflectable on the way out) they will immediately travel back to Geno, faster than usual, and hurt him before re-attaching. Unlike most reflected projectiles, his hands deal set damage and knockback to Geno no matter how they were reflected. (Mostly because of how many projectiles he has, reflectors would otherwise be broken against him.)

Normals:

Jab- A quick punch, followed by an arm flex to reveal his Hand Cannon, and a rapid jab bullet barrage similar to Inkling's multijab. Fires a large star from his arm as the finisher. If he doesn't have his left hand, he can only do the first hit with less range, but unchanged damage.
F-Tilt- A slightly slower punch based on his unarmed attack. Pressing A again fires his hand out as a Rocket Punch. Only can use his right hand. Both hits of this attack are useful, unlike similar f-tilts.
D-Tilt- Geno fires a single star at the ground in front of him, with a long-lasting hitbox. Good combo starter, good for 2-framing. Unnaffected by lack of hands.
U-Tilt- Geno raises his hands up in a "praise the sun"-esque pose, a star appearing above his head that hits multiple times. Mostly an anti-air, but can hit very close-by grounded opponents.

N-Air- Geno faces the camera and fires a rocket punch to each side of him, using both hands.
F-Air- A rocket punch directly forward, with a very strong hitbox right as the fist fires that gets weaker when the fist starts travelling. Defaults to right hand.
B-Air- Geno fires three star bullets behind him. They don't travel very far, but are very powerful. Gives him a bit of momentum when used. Similar to Gunner F-Air, in the opposite direction. Unnaffected by lack of hands.
U-Air- A rocket punch sent directly upward, defaulting to his right hand.

Dash Attack- An quick elbow forward, removing all momentum if it hits an opponent. Similar to the toy Geno's "attack" on toy Bowser, but with a bit of an animation to be less stiff.

Smash Attacks:
Up Smash and Forward Smash have a Timed Hit mechanic. Release the button right when it finishes charging (before the shaking animation stops) to deal much more damage than usual. Stars will appear above Geno's head to indicate the timing of the charge, and the stars will disappear once fully charged. A sound effect will play if perfectly timed.

U-Smash- Geno lifts his hands up to charge, before bowing to the ground and summoning a Geno Blast pillar of light. Slower but stronger version of Palutena's Up-Smash.
F-Smash- Geno uses his signature move, Geno Beam. The beam is a multihit attack with long range, about half the length of FD, but with a long start-up time even if not charged up. Functionally similar to Mii Gunner's F-Smash, but with more range and longer start-up.
D-Smash- Geno fires a rocket punch low to the ground in both directions. His fastest Smash attack, but still relatively slow, and easy to avoid by jumping over.

Grab and throws:
When Geno has no hands, he can't grab, doing a 'whiff' animation where he looks confused. Pummelling has him fire stars point-blank from one arm. Up/Forward/Back throw all have Geno transform into a cannon a la Geno Flash and fire the opponent out of himself. Down throw is similar to Falco's down throw but with a star shot instead of a laser, obviously.

Specials:
Neutral B- Geno Whirl
Geno fires a projectile that travels quickly in a straight line. It pierces through players, high damage but low knockback, very slow attack. Timing a B press when it touches the opponent deals double damage. If items are turned on, then timing a B press for when the 'whirl' despawns (goes off-screen or touches a wall) will make it do 99.9% damage, but much less knockback to compensate.

Not very good for zoning due to its slowness and punishability on whiff. Great at long range for anti-zoning, or against slow opponents.

Side B- Star Gun
Geno fires his most powerful weapon, the Star Gun. This shoots a barrage of 4 stars that travel in a straight line with some variance in angle. Similar in frame data and damage/knockback to Falco's lasers if all four hit, but the stars move slower, allowing Geno to potentially chase after them and get a follow-up at certain ranges.

Up B- Geno Boost
Geno raises his hands to the sky for a moment (stalling mid-air) before given a "boost" upwards. While under the effect, Geno has stars below his feet, and he slowly rises, but he has complete control over his aerial moveset and left/right movement while rising. Not very good for vertical recovery, but GREAT for horizontal movement. The upwards momentum is cancelled upon jumping or airdodging, and ends after a few seconds. Geno must land on the ground to regain "fuel" for this move, similar to R.O.B. and Villager/Isabelle.

Down B- Geno Flash
Geno turns into a cannon and launches a star up and forward, which creates a multihit explosion as it expands. The explosion is similar to Hero's magic burst, but half the size. After the explosion, Geno appears in the center of it and then drops like a rock. If he's not above a platform after using this he's KO'd. Geno takes damage for using this move, too. (He literally blows himself up, after all.) Can be used as a recovery, but the cannon falls while it's firing, making its vertical distance pretty bad. Very high-risk high-reward move.

Final Smash- Star Road Beam
The camera zooms in to Geno's face as he prays, before the 7 pieces of the Star Road start to circle behind him... and then the 7 Star Spirits start to circle behind those (with Twink!), and then the 7 Crystal stars circle behind that. (Optional: The Pure Hearts also show up? Maybe the Bean Star? Something from other M&L games?) With the power of all the stars behind him, Geno flies up to the top of the screen and uses Geno Beam and Star Beam at the same time, creating a massive laser that destroys everything below him. He can be moved left/right slowly while firing. (Literally moves him, doesn't angle the laser like with Lucario.)

Taunts:
Up Taunt- The classic arms folded nod. Mallow also shows up to pose with him!
Side Taunt- Geno makes a pose similar to his 'guard' animation in-battle in SMRPG. "I serve... a higher authority."
Down Taunt- Geno trips and falls on his face, then stands back up and shakes his head quickly to shake it off. Coupled with the classic SMRPG sound effect.
Great Moveset I give it...7 stars!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Other character support threads generally stay on topic and don’t dovetail into being mini support and discussion threads for other characters for pages and pages at a time. That’s the difference. Even funny social-y stuff and memes are pretty inoffensive but the times where discussion is completely taken over by another character when they could be spoken of elsewhere has just gotten to a breaking point over the past week or so.
Basically, the Geno thread has almost become Newcomer/Speculation thread 2.0 but a more respectful place of others opinions.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Basically, the Geno thread has almost become Newcomer/Speculation thread 2.0 but a more respectful place of others opinions.
I do feel like we wouldn’t have this issue if the general speculation thread wasn’t a wretched hive of scum and villainy

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I do feel like we wouldn’t have this issue if the general speculation thread wasn’t a wretched hive of scum and villainy
I always much prefer to hang out in the character support threads over the Newcomer/Speculation thread because more people there are close minded about other peoples' thoughts. Though I will go there sometimes to make an announcement or tell them "I told you so" about something.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Thats not the point of the thread and as mods have pointed out there are threads to do that stuff in. Mods have even pointed out that there are ways to discuss the VGAs/FP5 without being entirely off-topic but it’s just gotten to a certain point this week especially where people have dropped all pretense of tying things back to Geno and that’s unfair for those of us who generally don’t have an interest in going into general newcomer discussion.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Thats not the point of the thread and as mods have pointed out there are threads to do that stuff in. Mods have even pointed out that there are ways to discuss the VGAs/FP5 without being entirely off-topic but it’s just gotten to a certain point this week especially where people have dropped all pretense of tying things back to Geno and that’s unfair for those of us who generally don’t have an interest in going into general newcomer discussion.
I don’t think he’s trying to say that’s what it’s for, just that that’s what’s happened.

D

Deleted member

Not to be "that guy" but they're pretty confident they can keep getting away with faceless toads and that saves them money in the long run. Why bother paying someone to write (and more importantly, write in-character) for one-offs when you can keep reusing generic toad? And hey, while we're at it, why pay someone to recolor toad when the normal one works just fine and we can copy and paste him all over the place?! Naturally, I'm just complaining about the RPG titles, and maybe to a lesser extent stuff like Odyssey and Galaxy where there's a bit of character diversity, even if there doesn't necessarily need to be (Mario 64 was just fine with Mario alone, imo), but there's a huge problem with Mario Kart and Mario Party not having the faces you'd expect, I mean, you don't have to write for them and if the character's been in a game in the last 20 years, they have some voice clips lying around, so no recording needed, either.

In my opinion there's a fine line to walk between fanservice and overuse. Before they brought the Koopalings back (I think it was New Super Mario Bros?) I was really wondering why they hadn't used them in so long. It was a nice change to see non-generic world bosses back, but it got to the point that it felt like they were the new go-to, I mean... every New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Smash... And then oddly enough you can't swap out Bowser Jr. for them in Mario Maker, they aren't playable in Mario Party, and they still get sidelined in 3D Mario games despite the fact that it was the 3D titles that made people wonder where they'd gotten off to. Nintendo "gets it" for a minute and a half and then they immediately do not get it.

One of my biggest fears is that we end up crying for Geno so much Nintendo actually buys the rights to him and starts putting him in everything, whether he has a reason to be there or not.

I think Im going to ask psychoincarnate about including a line in the original post that permits off-topic discussions as long as they arent too long. I wanted to make a more formal petition of sorts with the usernames of everyone who supports this, but I’m not gonna have the time to get that done for awhile. If anyone else wants to do that you have my full support.
Ok, I'm starting to worry about the attention of people in this thread. The mods have basically said it's fine to talk about other characters as long as it's related in some way to Geno or ends up looping back to Geno. Every ****ing word in this thread does not have to be "Geno" and I think everyone agrees on that. The idea is that this is a thread for support and speculation of Geno, and the things relating to supporting and speculating for Geno. We've done a fine job talking about and speculating about characters that aren't Geno, and never mentioning him with this implicit tone that makes it apparent that we're talking about it as it relates to Geno's chances... But then you take a gander at the last nearly 30 pages and basically every page in the 1990 - 2000 range is people talking about the year they were born. Truly the 90s.

It just reached a point where someone had to say something and when they failed to get any traction a moderator had to say something, and while it was kind of vague, it got cleared up. Nothing's changed imo except hopefully people feel less welcome to come in here and talk about how we should support a character that isn't Geno, or how they don't care much for Geno and wonder why we like him so much.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How often all of y'all will still be posting here after Geno get's in? I will probably move on and comfortably make the Shantae thread my new home. But I still will post in here once in awhile like I still do in the Banjo & Kazooie Social thread. The Geno Social thread, that has a nice ring to it doesn't it.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
ooh so looks like the indie showcase today is going in to be good huh? Well sadly I doubt it's going to be smash related though dropping 5 here and 6 Thursday would have been pretty cool. Hope it turns out worthwhile but I doubt it isn't worth just the 20 minutes of our time.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Alright, you guys gotta start talking about Geno again. All of this talk of other characters is off topic and if you want to discuss other newcomers you are more than welcome to do so here.
thank god
no other thread has more than half the users talk about characters who aren't the one the topic is about

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
How often all of y'all will still be posting here after Geno get's in? I will probably move on and comfortably make the Shantae thread my new home. But I still will post in here once in awhile like I still do in the Banjo & Kazooie Social thread. The Geno Social thread, that has a nice ring to it doesn't it.
I’m still planning on hanging around the Geno Social thread. For newcomer stuff I’ll probably pop around Isaac or Doomguy’s threads. Or I could try to resurrect the Bomberman thread lol

Good morning everyone, did anything new happened today?
Good morning! Word on the street is something cool at IndieWorld, besides that not much has happened

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Guess I'm left to go rally with the isaac bros after this goes through. I'd like to hang in the geno social if that manages to not be dead like most threads in the character section but we'll see.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Nothing except Fatmanonice Fatmanonice told me that he heard from a guy that Sabi really screwed over told him that something on par with Cadence of Hyrule will be showning up in the Indie World presentation today but it won't be a crossover.
Hmm i feel sorry for that guy, maybe it could be a sequel?
And about the topic of what i will do when Geno gets in? most likely staying here, i've met some great people like Spatulo Spatulo , Malo Mart Malo Mart , OffBi OffBi , Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , and many more that i really enjoy coming back to this thread everyday to talk with all of you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom