• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I remember around 2004/2005 I signed a petition to get Super Mario RPG ported to the GBA since they were porting so many SNES games to the GameBoy Advance.

At least when Super Mario RPG makes it to SNES Online one day it'll be a way to play it portable.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
To continue with my point the 00's internet culture was largely influenced by the retro stuff. Besides the newgrounds stuff YouTube was in the AVGN phase and up until the grumps changed the format and paved the way for the PDP brigade LPs were largely focused on longform completions of older titles. So for internet consumers up until about 2012 you were heavily inundated with a culture of retrogames which managed to take in and shape the tastes of a large chunk of the initial members of that next generation.

After my first exposure in 2007 I would have played smrpg on vc and not long after an original cart starting my journey as a geno fan about 10 years ago. Sadly it looks like the atmosphere of the past is mostly gone but the opportunities still exist for the young'ns willing to look for them.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I've said it before, but I was born well after the 80s and still grew up with the NES as the first console I was exposed to. And I'm far from the only one to have an experience like that. Thinking of people as individuals with their own situations is very important, and arguing against that is bizarre. Stereotypes exist because people are prone to making close-minded generalizations about those around them, not because they're based in objective fact. I'm not really sure why there should even be a question like 'why are you interested in this thing if you didn't see it release'.

link2702

Smash Champion
And now my wife passed her finals for this semester. Just barely. So that’s good news, she’s been stressed out over this all semester.

And with my new Echo... as cheesy as it is she’s gonna be walking in to hear celebration by Kool and tge gang on repeat when she’s home. Controlling this thing away from home is gonna be hilarious....

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
You know, this gets me to thinking about something that comes across my mind every now and again - how the heck is it that zoomers even end up wanting Geno? He's really in a more extreme boat than Mega Man, like, Mega Man at least had some games that had been released not too long before his inclusion in Smash, and even then, I was fully aware that there were kids who had no idea who he was - there legitimately might be children who think he's just a Smash Bros character. I'm not discounting the idea that kids aren't able to go back and play an old game, but it seems like it'd take a lot of outside influence to get them to.

Maybe I'm just jaded and hopeless regarding the taste of kids born after 1995, much less those born after 2001.
For me, I got into Bowser's Inside Story and that slowly led to Mario RPG. Thanks to the internet, it didn't take long till I learned what Mario RPG was. Another big factor: the fact it was on Virtual Console on the Wii for a cheaper price than some modern games at the time made it really easy to give the game a try

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Short answer: people like me, Papagenos, and Terminalmontage, crusty old farts that still have enthusiasm even decades later. People have told me that it's kind of infectious.
As a carrier of the Geno AIDS, I can confirm it is indeed infectious.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?! A 4chan leak was fake!? Wow... that's... I think I have to sit down for this. My mind was already blown when I found out water was wet and fire is hot. I don't think I can take any more twist like this.
You think that's crazy, wait 'til you hear about the Goblon Leak!

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I remember around 2004/2005 I signed a petition to get Super Mario RPG ported to the GBA since they were porting so many SNES games to the GameBoy Advance.

At least when Super Mario RPG makes it to SNES Online one day it'll be a way to play it portable.
I remember back when 3DS modding was in it’s infancy, I attempted to run SMRPG on a emulator running off of CFW.

It was... very laggy, but playable! Closest I’ve gotten to playing it portable. Here’s hoping they actually put it on the SNES Online catalogue.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I think what makes Geno endure is that he's sort of the Superman of Smash talk; he stands for an ideal.

Geno is the posterboy for fan demand in the Smash community, the idea that a group of fans can rally together to get their favorites in; and it's worked! We got Ridley, Rool, Simon, Dark Samus, Banjo-Kazooie, Sans

So when all these people come in they see all this talk about this 'Geno' character and go and look into what all the fuss is about. Nintendo may not have heard us yet, but everyone else certainly has.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, I’m basically a 18 years old boy but I have quite way more experience with stuff released before the 2000s due to reruns on TV and curiosity for old stuff.

The Real Ghostbusters, the 90s Spider-Man and Marvel shows, The Mask, the Tim Burton Batman movies, the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, Flash Gordon, Transformers G1... the list goes on.

I was checking out all of those things alongside the modern stuff that came out back then such as the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies or stuff involving the NDS.
I like this kid. In fact, I'm almost kind of jealous that you got to experience my childhood along with your own. Anyone else remember Saturday morning cartoons? Vintage X-men? Beast Wars? Tailspin? Gargoyles? Yeah, I 'member.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember back when 3DS modding was in it’s infancy, I attempted to run SMRPG on a emulator running off of CFW.

It was... very laggy, but playable! Closest I’ve gotten to playing it portable. Here’s hoping they actually put it on the SNES Online catalogue.
It runs with no problem on a PSP. Drains the battery remarkably fast, though.

It's funny how the best use of a PSP to this day is to play SNES games.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
As far as I'm concerned the only leak that I find real is the caco/mallow mii hats. The quality is too good in my eyes, plus the fact that it had video leaks + talented modders haven't been able to perfectly replicate the quality + the mii portraits wearing the hats + the hats themselves fitting so well around the Mii's heads, etc etc. :mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
As far as I'm concerned the only leak that I find real is the caco/mallow mii hats. The quality is too good in my eyes, plus the fact that it had video leaks + talented modders haven't been able to perfectly replicate the quality + the mii portraits wearing the hats + the hats themselves fitting so well around the Mii's heads, etc etc. :mybodyisreggie:
This. Doombros and genogang rise up.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So besides the general social thread, what other threads on the site are even still ahead of us? I looked for awhile and I think we might just be #2

Firox

Smash Master
As a carrier of the Geno AIDS, I can confirm it is indeed infectious.
This reminds me of the Southpark episode with Jared from Subway.

"The REAL secret behind my weight loss is that I have aids."

"W-wait, what??"

"Yeah, you know, aids: my dietition and my personal trainer."

Then later on in the episode, he's in a press conference:

"I want to give aids to all the children!" lol

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hi Everyone. None of you will know me, but I've been watching this thread for a long time so I feel like I know a lot of you...

I decided I wanted to finally make a post since I am feeling the same way I am today as I did when I read a leak about Katalina from Grand Blue being the last character to be announced for the base roster.

With the news that apparently KOS-MOS is supposedly fighter 5, I'm feeling the dread that Sakurai has managed to end things once again with a whimper instead of a bang (say what you will, but Inciniroar being the last character revealed was so poorly planned out that I am surprised how good the pass has been since).

That being said, as hyped as I am for the next character, I feel the dread of disapointment rearing it's ugly head again.

I've never been so sure Geno will be in smash bros. I don't care how long I have to wait but I feel in my gut he will come to Ultimate. That being said, **** my life if this leak is true. I not only have not heard of the game this character came from before now, but reading about it has been beyond depressing. If you like this series, I am not trying to diss you, I am a damn Geno fan after all. I know what it's like wanting your character in smash. I shouldn't have to say I respect your perspective in this day in age, but I do. But man, for me, I am beyond not interested in this and it seems like the worst possible character to end the pass with. If this character was announced as fighter 3 or 4, I would still have something to look forward to. Which leads to this.

I have to force myself to look forward to Pass 2 to stay positive right now. The possibilities are endless. If KOS-MOS is fighter 5, my favorites of GENO, DOOM SLAYER, AMATERASU and ISAAC have more chance today than ever before.

Everyone should try and find positivity in life. It's what keeps us sain. And most importantly, happy.

Goodnight, my children of the stars.
Ooh, ooh! Do you know me? Am I a celebrity now?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's still so funny to me that so many people look at Geno for his cool factor, yet that's secondary to me because of his dork factor and his cute factor... :drflip:

D

Deleted member

It's still so funny to me that so many people look at Geno for his cool factor, yet that's secondary to me because of his dork factor and his cute factor... :drflip:
I'm thoroughly offended.

Geno is my hero and he ain't no dweeb.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Ok, prepare for a massive tinfoil hat that I don't even believe:

At the Nindies showcase Quote from Cave Story will be revealed to be Fighter 5 (Cave Story is one of the two defining Indies imo, the other being Touhou) and there will be a double reveal of Doomguy and Geno and the VGA. Not happening, obviously, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Guess I had a correct assumption but it's just for Indie World.
Ninja'd
I really hope we a release date for some of the oddworld games. I was just looking them up the other day and there’s not a solid date on any of them. Also I’ve got my fingers crossed for Starbound or Subnautica but I dont think either developer was interested in a port
Can anyone give me ideas on what comic cover should i do next?
Do the Infinity War Graphic novel and put Fatman as Adam Warlock

At the Nindies showcase Quote from Cave Story will be revealed to be Fighter 5 (Cave Story is one of the two defining Indies imo, the other being Touhou) and there will be a double reveal of Doomguy and Geno and the VGA. Not happening, obviously, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.
That would be the best timeline

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

See THIS is the kind of thing that makes Jon do the “That’s it, no Smash?” posts lol :p

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So basically the list he said was a mistake is a mistake. Super helpful. Makes sense Fighter 5 came from one of those companies though so time to look through them.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Oh boy here we go

There was a problem fetching the tweet
This would explain a lot given how multiple things were in that list that weren't part of his new character deconfirmations. I'll try and make a list of what this leaves us with in a moment but the fact that this explicitly includes Nintendo, assist trophies, and spirits makes me quite excited.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I know that Sabi is not someone that we really like anymore but I'm unsure which list is the one that supposedly has the correct character.
That's the beauty of it. Sabi made it sound like they said something significant when they said nothing at all

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Oh boy here we go

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Uh-huh. Betcha exactly zero real money that it’s also someone Sabi deconfirmed, but why not deflect it to just Verge

Edit: I rescind my statement (for now)

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I know that Sabi is not someone that we really like anymore but I'm unsure which list is the one that supposedly has the correct character.
Based on the fact they say it was good Verge corrected himself it seems he is talking about the old mistaken list Verge had. Somewhere on that list is the company 5 is from. The best course of action would be to cross-reference the stuff he's updated since then with that list to see who was left off to find which company 5 is from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom