• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
. it was a real mess. Waluigi was the first big example of public upset over a deconfirmation. No way in hell no one noticed at Nintendo,!
I'm aware that Waluigi's biggest issue is supposed to be haven't made it to any Mario action platformers game so far, which is much more negatively influential than not being a Smash fighter. Logically, Waluigi's supportors are just Mario series gamers, please dont use the word public as if Krystal and Riki supportors must give their attention to Waluigi. If so this newcomer speculation board wouldnt have so many topics about other characters.

If the fact Waluigi being an assist trophy is an issue, I'd say it's imbalance. Since "everyone is here" doesnt include assists and npcs, such as Porky isn't a boss and KatAna isnt an assist, I would think Nintendo should introduce a new assist trophy and let Waluigi retire from the assist. Some other unchosen characters like King Boo would really need a chance to shine.
But, notice that "he shouldn't be an assist again" doesn't necessarily mean "he should be a fighter now". There is still a gap.

I know people here want Geno to be a fighter, but, tbh, if he cannot make it there, I would think he should really get the assist trophy from Waluigi.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Sorry - I'm just catching up on the past pages but I gotta take a moment to post on the year of my existence (1990).

Carry on, Genobros.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I know people here want Geno to be a fighter, but, tbh, if he cannot make it there, I would think he should really get the assist trophy from Waluigi.
Yo, like, yes? If Geno isn't meant to be a fighter, I'd absolutely take an assist + upgraded Mii costume leagues over just a PNG lol. At least he'd actually have presence and, well... look like Geno and not 'Geno' from a listing on Wish-dot-com.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I genuinely think character #5 is Waluigi. As time goes on, it seems that more and more people are willing to speak to Paragon’s character, so I doubt he was lying about the C&D or “poking fun at Sabi” when he mentioned it, especially since Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has later said that people behind the scenes believe what happened to Paragon to be real and are therefore TERRIFIED of talking about Waluigi despite the fact that EVERYONE has heard about him. Also, why would Nintendo go to the trouble to C&D him in the first place? Probably not Luminary and Banjo because literally everyone and their mother was talking about both of them at that point. Could be the Undertale stuff, but he actually misinterpreted the information he had to begin with, so I doubt they would have C&D’d the guy because he got two characters right that everyone else was saying shortly before their reveal + he had some minor Undertale information right and bungled it up. No, Waluigi is the logical answer here, at least combined with everything else. That was a reveal they were planning for half a year later that Paragon knew about, which means they had to nip him in the bud early to send a message to other leakers. And it sounds like they got the picture.

You know, we’ve been talking about timeline stuff in terms of Geno and how the Grinch leak may have bumped off his Mii costume from releasing alongside Hero so that he could potentially be post-pass DLC, and that’s all well and good, but let’s take a second to consider Waluigi’s timeline, shall we? Ultimate’s big official reveal was at E3 2018, and there were precious few deconfirmations at the time since barely any Assist Trophies were shown off. I’d argue the only two major ones were Bomberman and Waluigi. But even though I certainly saw a few Bomberman fans upset at his deconfirmation, NOTHING hit the internet harder than Waluigi being relegated to an Assist Trophy for the third game in a row. You were all there for it, so I don’t need to elaborate much at all, but everyone and their mother was making memes about it, there was so much public upset about it, Sakurai blocked a guy for pestering him about it too much and people were using that one guy as a way to blame the whole Waluigi fanbase for going too far... it was a real mess. Waluigi was the first big example of public upset over a deconfirmation. No way in hell no one noticed at Nintendo, especially since Sakurai literally had to block someone on Twitter over it.

Keep in mind all of this was happening mid-June 2018. Now knowing what we know about the Fighter’s Pass, it seems negotiations were still ongoing for it during the time, and perhaps reaching their conclusion since apparently all the DLC had been decided by about 5 months later, since Sakurai said shortly after the November 1st Smash Direct on his personal Twitter that all the DLC had already been decided so people shouldn’t campaign for anyone for the pass. This means that any public opinion from the Direct itself and the backlash from the Grinch leak could not be used to sway the outcome of the pass. But Waluigi’s public backlash was months ago; timeline-wise, he’s the perfect fit for the last DLC character of the Fighter’s Pass. And of course, it naturally makes PERFECT SENSE for Nintendo to choose him characters and for Sakurai, the man who constantly wants to push the envelope and make everyone happy, who had already put in Ridley and K. Rool in the base roster and who approved Banjo for DLC, to approve Waluigi as well. And wouldn’t that be an even better final thank-you character than Lloyd would have been as a last send-off to the game?

Call me crazy if you want @wynn728 , but I think it’s happening. No memes, no bull. With all of this circumstantial evidence, insider talk, tons of third-party deconfirmations, Vergeben’s first-party backpedaling, and the increasing validity of Paragon’s leak, I genuinely put my full commitment into the belief that Waluigi really is our last Fighter’s Pass character unless further information comes out that makes me doubt this. Wah!
I still can't see him being number 5, just due to the fact that we know that they come with Spirits and a Stage, the idea they were all atleast generally planned WELL in advance, maybe even before E3 of last year, atleast for some of them.

What I CAN see happening is him being one of the first post-pass characters, in fact, that might explain somethings. He's been heard in insider circles for a long time now, and in the original Paragon leak he mentioned that he speculated that Waluigi was number 5. But, given that he misinterpreted the Undertale information, who's to say he didn't misinterpret Waluigi as well? In fact, if post-pass DLC was being discussed at the time, Waluigi could have been a name being tossed around, especially since he's a first party character and would need no negotiations to be included, so if he was going to be post-pass DLC he would be among the first to be decided. This could also be tied back to Sabi's "reliable source", and why are they so hesitant on naming the character that they supposedly know, and have known for months? If it is indeed Waluigi, this explains it three-fold, as he is obviously an extremely toxic character to even mention in the insider community, the reason that only a select few people would know is that there's no third party involved here, it's all internal Nintendo stuff, meaning that theres far less people in the loop about it and it could be far easier to track down the supposed leaker,(plus, like I already said, Waluigi would be among the first post pass DLC characters decided, so it's reasonable that his name would be thrown around far in advance, even before Terry had been announced), and the idea that the source themselves is unsure about Waluigi being number 5 due to it conflicting with assist trophies/spirits, not matching Reggie's statement about new game worlds, not being a third party like the rest of the pass, and the whole Stage/Spirit thing I mentioned before.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
OH NO NO NO, CINDERACE GANG...

IT'S OVER!!!
OH ITS OVER

GROOKEY GANG RISES AGAIN

RILLABOOM WINS. FLAWLESS VICTORY

[insert gif of DK and Rillaboom both playing the drums]

Since we have a Meme Squad and a Drawing Squad...how about a Remix/Music Squad?
I write music! I use a sheet music program which isn't very good for remixes or anything other than composition really, but... I can do it. check out my soundcloud

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think Waluigi 5 unless the rumors about Jill being cut were true. Papa talked about it but it was news to me. Basically the rumor was that Jill from Resident Evil was developed in the spring but, like Heihachi, Sakurai couldn't figure out a way to make character work well in Smash and ultimately cut her. With her being cut, some people have thrown the idea that Waluigi was thrown in as a bandage of sorts due to lack of negotiations and having assists in hand. Of course, this would require a looooooot of things to be true to be plausible.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I genuinely think character #5 is Waluigi. As time goes on, it seems that more and more people are willing to speak to Paragon’s character, so I doubt he was lying about the C&D or “poking fun at Sabi” when he mentioned it, especially since Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has later said that people behind the scenes believe what happened to Paragon to be real and are therefore TERRIFIED of talking about Waluigi despite the fact that EVERYONE has heard about him. Also, why would Nintendo go to the trouble to C&D him in the first place? Probably not Luminary and Banjo because literally everyone and their mother was talking about both of them at that point. Could be the Undertale stuff, but he actually misinterpreted the information he had to begin with, so I doubt they would have C&D’d the guy because he got two characters right that everyone else was saying shortly before their reveal + he had some minor Undertale information right and bungled it up. No, Waluigi is the logical answer here, at least combined with everything else. That was a reveal they were planning for half a year later that Paragon knew about, which means they had to nip him in the bud early to send a message to other leakers. And it sounds like they got the picture.

You know, we’ve been talking about timeline stuff in terms of Geno and how the Grinch leak may have bumped off his Mii costume from releasing alongside Hero so that he could potentially be post-pass DLC, and that’s all well and good, but let’s take a second to consider Waluigi’s timeline, shall we? Ultimate’s big official reveal was at E3 2018, and there were precious few deconfirmations at the time since barely any Assist Trophies were shown off. I’d argue the only two major ones were Bomberman and Waluigi. But even though I certainly saw a few Bomberman fans upset at his deconfirmation, NOTHING hit the internet harder than Waluigi being relegated to an Assist Trophy for the third game in a row. You were all there for it, so I don’t need to elaborate much at all, but everyone and their mother was making memes about it, there was so much public upset about it, Sakurai blocked a guy for pestering him about it too much and people were using that one guy as a way to blame the whole Waluigi fanbase for going too far... it was a real mess. Waluigi was the first big example of public upset over a deconfirmation. No way in hell no one noticed at Nintendo, especially since Sakurai literally had to block someone on Twitter over it.

Keep in mind all of this was happening mid-June 2018. Now knowing what we know about the Fighter’s Pass, it seems negotiations were still ongoing for it during the time, and perhaps reaching their conclusion since apparently all the DLC had been decided by about 5 months later, since Sakurai said shortly after the November 1st Smash Direct on his personal Twitter that all the DLC had already been decided so people shouldn’t campaign for anyone for the pass. This means that any public opinion from the Direct itself and the backlash from the Grinch leak could not be used to sway the outcome of the pass. But Waluigi’s public backlash was months ago; timeline-wise, he’s the perfect fit for the last DLC character of the Fighter’s Pass. And of course, it naturally makes PERFECT SENSE for Nintendo to choose him characters and for Sakurai, the man who constantly wants to push the envelope and make everyone happy, who had already put in Ridley and K. Rool in the base roster and who approved Banjo for DLC, to approve Waluigi as well. And wouldn’t that be an even better final thank-you character than Lloyd would have been as a last send-off to the game?

Call me crazy if you want @wynn728 , but I think it’s happening. No memes, no bull. With all of this circumstantial evidence, insider talk, tons of third-party deconfirmations, Vergeben’s first-party backpedaling, and the increasing validity of Paragon’s leak, I genuinely put my full commitment into the belief that Waluigi really is our last Fighter’s Pass character unless further information comes out that makes me doubt this. Wah!
dont give me wah.png

Sorry, I just had to. I appreciate your optimism, though.

In fact it kinda motivates me to do that deconfirmation meme I was teasing a couple days ago. I guess I'll go to back work on that.

Uhhhh I know next to nothing about Cheers except for the theme song and some of the characters but my hand was forced:

View attachment 251340
Perfect! I love how me, OffBi OffBi and Franco Geno Franco Geno always end up on these memes, haha.

That gif where everything is on fire and someone brings in some pizzas
Here ya go:

pizza guy fire.gif

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
View attachment 251343
Sorry, I just had to. I appreciate your optimism, though.

In fact it kinda motivates me to do that deconfirmation meme I was teasing a couple days ago. I guess I'll go to back work on that.

Perfect! I love how me, OffBi OffBi and Franco Geno Franco Geno always end up on these memes, haha.

Here ya go:

View attachment 251344
I mean you can't separate the three musketeers of memes

OH ITS OVER

GROOKEY GANG RISES AGAIN

RILLABOOM WINS. FLAWLESS VICTORY

[insert gif of DK and Rillaboom both playing the drums]

I write music! I use a sheet music program which isn't very good for remixes or anything other than composition really, but... I can do it. check out my soundcloud
Awesome!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I don't think Waluigi 5 unless the rumors about Jill being cut were true. Papa talked about it but it was news to me. Basically the rumor was that Jill from Resident Evil was developed in the spring but, like Heihachi, Sakurai couldn't figure out a way to make character work well in Smash and ultimately cut her. With her being cut, some people have thrown the idea that Waluigi was thrown in as a bandage of sorts due to lack of negotiations and having assists in hand. Of course, this would require a looooooot of things to be true to be plausible.
I can't buy it, Sakurai specifically said that "I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan. " I doubt he would turn back on it after deciding it was feasible. It explains the Resident Evil spirits but I still think it's a long shot.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I picked Grookey but I replaced it when I got an appletun

Applechads rise up

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
And to think I miss the good old days where the only insider I got tired of was Gematsu when he had to chime in before every Smash event. E3? Makes sense. A character reveal on a random day on the website? That didn't need to be (failed) spoiled.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or has the newcomer speculation discussion thread lately become an echo chamber of negative contrarianism and anti-Geno sentiment?

I've been busy lately and sometimes see what the latest thoughts are on there and dayum... Maybe I have the memory of a goldfish, but I don't remember it being that unpleasant. Just circle jerk after smug circle jerk of people making strawmen arguments for "Geno fans" or "the Smash community". The self righteousness was just exhausting to read.

Edit: corrected name of thread

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Great post! I'd also like to bring attention to another character disconfirmation, that being Isaac. You mention that Waluigi and Bomberman were some of the biggest ones, and I agree that they were (less so Bomberman, I kind of remember him being disconfirmed was laregly "Aww, oh well..." for people), but I don't think there was a single person who watched the November 1st Direct and didn't think Isaac was done dirty. Just about everyone who I've seen watch it all shared the same disdain in seeing him once again relegated to an Assist. If we're all on board with the idea that such outrage would be enough for Nintendo to make Waluigi a fighter, I think we may need to start keeping Isaac in mind going forward, especially if Waluigi actually makes it in.
Christ, I am so ****ing sick of seeing this same goddamn image any time someone jokes about threads going up in flames. Sure it's apt, but is there really no other image we can use?

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I still can't see him being number 5, just due to the fact that we know that they come with Spirits and a Stage, the idea they were all atleast generally planned WELL in advance, maybe even before E3 of last year, atleast for some of them.

What I CAN see happening is him being one of the first post-pass characters, in fact, that might explain somethings. He's been heard in insider circles for a long time now, and in the original Paragon leak he mentioned that he speculated that Waluigi was number 5. But, given that he misinterpreted the Undertale information, who's to say he didn't misinterpret Waluigi as well? In fact, if post-pass DLC was being discussed at the time, Waluigi could have been a name being tossed around, especially since he's a first party character and would need no negotiations to be included, so if he was going to be post-pass DLC he would be among the first to be decided.
For the past few days I've been thinking about something like this happening:
Trailer at The Game Awards, It's Waluigi, we see that he has an invite, and it's heavily implied that he stole it, making him #5. The actual #5 shows up behind him and starts to fight Waluigi for it. #5 wins, and Waluigi gets blasted Smash style out of the area where they fought. Fade to black, we see Challenger Pack 5: (The character's name goes here). Then it fades to Waluigi sitting down, looking sad that he has to be an assist trophy forever until he finds another invite on the ground close to him. He takes it happily and then we see Bonus DLC #1: Waluigi.
At least, that's how I see something like that playing out.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I can't buy it, Sakurai specifically said that "I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan. " I doubt he would turn back on it after deciding it was feasible. It explains the Resident Evil spirits but I still think it's a long shot.
To be more specific, I think the fans would better care about "why this character hasn't made it so far" "why Nintendo choose the others prior to my wanted" over arguing whether the next fighter is the ones we want.

If a character is really supposed to be in the game with high priorty, then Nintendo shouldnt have made other choices before they even possibly regret it. We fans are the one to judge whether Nintendo made the right decisions.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Christ, I am so ****ing sick of seeing this same goddamn image any time someone jokes about threads going up in flames. Sure it's apt, but is there really no other image we can use?
There is for sure, but few people actually use them, it looks like. I might as well look for another image with the same effect, I guess.

For the past few days I've been thinking about something like this happening:
Trailer at The Game Awards, It's Waluigi, we see that he has an invite, and it's heavily implied that he stole it, making him #5. The actual #5 shows up behind him and starts to fight Waluigi for it. #5 wins, and Waluigi gets blasted Smash style out of the area where they fought. Fade to black, we see Challenger Pack 5: (The character's name goes here). Then it fades to Waluigi sitting down, looking sad that he has to be an assist trophy forever until he finds another invite on the ground close to him. He takes it happily and then we see Bonus DLC #1: Waluigi.
At least, that's how I see something like that playing out.
This is great as is, but if you could twist this trailer a bit to fit Geno in there as another bonus DLC somehow, then it'd literally be perfect.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
We should do something special for Super Mario RPG on page 1996.

Glad to see this community pull together through the thick and thin of it...and I appreciate Fatmanonice Fatmanonice being straightforward with all of us here and I hope we can focus our energy through supporting Geno for Smash Ultimate in a healthy manner.

Never stop supporting Geno in Smash, Genobros. and Genogals...upward and onward!

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
We are all human, Don't follow everyone blindly and see a path to your own ideologies.

The whole situation might be messy on all parts but it's best to carry on, It's fair that Fatman cared about you all. But it's always best to seek your own path in investigation. You are all stronger than believing in one person's views. Heck "Leaks" are usually just "Rumors".

So stand tall and read into what you are given, but always doubt what it could mean. It could save you a lot of time.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
This was just posted over in the Master Chief topic.
Is this credible in any way? It’d be great if true
Here's the thing, I think the Geno thread has grown to the point where I think it can be counted as a small community in of itself. It's why things like user memes and talks of other characters come so naturally. And while it is a comunity united around our love of Geno, the users and their likes have also taken focus and is cared about, even if it is unrelated to Geno. And I think that's great.
I 100% agree with you here and have to respectfully disagree with Datboigeno Datboigeno . The thread has become much more of a Geno Social Thread and I think that’s something we should embrace. We have a chill attitude (usually lol) and a lot of members are becoming friends. Our love of Geno and support of him is what brings us all together. It’s not like we’ve abandoned the topic. There’s always someone talking about their personal connection or their wishes for the character or fanart, etc.

To force ourselves to stay strictly on-topic or only have a different conversation for 2 or 3 posts is unecessarily stifling. Without wiggle room in discussion we certainly would not have grown this much or even have this many supporters. I probably wouldn’t be on here that often if thats all we could talk about. We definitely would not seem welcoming to a lot of people if we restricted our conversations

There’s also the fact of info droughts. We haven’t had anything tangible for him since the Cacomallow leak, and we maybe only see something every 1 or 2 months. We can’t just fill the dead space with “I want Geno in Smash” over and over again. There are times when there really isnt anything Geno related to talk about, especially for those of us who only converse, have already shared out stories, and can’t do things like fanart or edits.

I’m not saying this shouldnt be a Geno focused thread. Of course it should, but we should embrace the more social aspect our community has

link2702

Smash Champion
i mean who honestly cares atm? sabi has already destroyed themselves. Chances are she/he/it is just ****posting atm. Just wait tilll the GA coming up. don't take anything sabi says now seriously. I think they know themselves they've screwed themselves over, so they are just posting random stuff to confuse and or spite folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom