• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That NDA would be entirely unenforceable and would never hold up in any court, and “leaking info for a video game” is not enough to blacklist anyone from any profession except for... well, games, and a focus group solely comprised of people that work for game companies kind of defeats the point. Someone working for, like, an air conditioning company or a convenience store is in no danger of losing their job because they leaked Smash, Nintendo isn’t the mafia.

Basically, this is my main issue with the focus group idea compared to the other possibilities: Why would Nintendo give a bunch of extra people that kind of information? For a good test, you’d need a sizable group, and each one you add is just another liability unless you have some special, actually-enforceable way of tracking the specific leaker out of like 20-50 people at least. With how secretive Nintendo is about Smash, none of that adds up.
I think you're assuming that I'm saying Nintendo contracted out a focus group for this when I'm actually implying that Nintendo has a completely internal team do that for them. Also I'm fairly certain you sign to agree to any NDA you're placed under as a condition of your job and since you signed some legal documents, it holds up in court no matter how outlandish it is.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am on day 4 of trying to breed a shiny Sobble. I feel like I am losing touch with reality. I don't know what's up or whats down. All I know is the egg and route 5.

If I don't get out of this alive. Main Geno for me please.

This is actually hell
And Boom goes the dynamite.

EK-ZNfFU0AAy__O.jpg

Time to do Scorbunny!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Smash literally does have a particularly notable scene in South America, though. I know this is a weird metric to use, but it’s to the point where the undisputed best players of the last two games hail from there, and you can’t exactly be the best off of Nintendo’s horrible excuse for online, you need a really strong local scene to train off of.
Yeah, I'm sure it does, doesn't really change the fact that it has all of nothing to do with Terry's inclusion. I mean so far Sakurai hasn't said a single word on South America, he has however stated plenty of other characters were popular in certain regions. So why would Terry be different? Also if Nintendo wanted to appeal on a region basis then them being the ones to select a nonregion character to showcase first is still counter to their goal so not sure how that helps you in the slightest.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
"Terry is a pick for South America" is just one of those explanations Smash fans have latched onto because it was introduced into the conversation shortly after he was leaked, and it feels like it could be true despite the fact that there's essentially nothing substantiating it apart from there being an SNK scene in South America. A lot of frankly uninformed speculation becomes accepted as fact in this community as long as it "fits." Maybe the appeal is in having a direction to look in (ex: "if Terry for for South America, will FP5 be for X region?") but eventually you're working with assumptions built off of other assumptions.
EDIT: Damn it, now my post doesn’t make sense any more.
you saw nothing

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
hang on, premature post
I don’t think Sakurai specifically picks characters for regions. Terry got picked because he’s Terry. That doesn’t mean Sakurai doesn’t try to appeal to a wide amount of people, and he does note which regions characters are popular in so he certainly at least thinks about it, but ultimately I don’t think it’s ever the primary reason a character gets picked.

EDIT: Damn it, now my post doesn’t make sense any more.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I think you're assuming that I'm saying Nintendo contracted out a focus group for this when I'm actually implying that Nintendo has a completely internal team do that for them. Also I'm fairly certain you sign to agree to any NDA you're placed under as a condition of your job and since you signed some legal documents, it holds up in court no matter how outlandish it is.
Then it kind of defeats the entire point of a focus group when you’re only getting the demographic of “people who work for you”.

Also, that’s literally not how NDAs work. You can’t legally enforce something like “If Karen from accounting tells her husband about how she heard someone called Joker’s coming to Smash but not the Batman Joker, and he then tells someone about it online, everyone on this floor is fined $20K if we find out”. No court would see you liable if you literally did nothing yourself to leak it.

Yeah, I'm sure it does, doesn't really change the fact that it has all of nothing to do with Terry's inclusion. I mean so far Sakurai hasn't said a single word on South America, he has however stated plenty of other characters were popular in certain regions. So why would Terry be different? Also if Nintendo wanted to appeal on a region basis then them being the ones to select a nonregion character to showcase first is still counter to their goal so not sure how that helps you in the slightest.
That’s exactly it, though: You show the popular non-region-specific character off first to kick things off and get the most general interest, then you start to specify like that.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I... guess? When compared to the kind of deep reference Aresene being codenamed "Doyle" is, a cheap pun that only barely makes sense in one language because of a difference in regional dialect feels kind of not accurate.
I think that’s kind of the point, though. There isn’t any consistency to how the codenames are chosen because if there was, then it’d be easy to guess what all of them refer to if they got leaked. Some are deep-cut, and some are surface level.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So I was perusing KnowYourMeme just now and I found this little image that you guys might get a kick out of: This one guy decided to take a look back at old forum posts during the Brawl days in an attempt to piece together what the fanbase was like around that time, and I'm not gonna lie, this was pretty spot-on.
EDIT: Image quality went to hell, here's a direct link.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/661/190/21f.jpg
Holy moly, now THIS takes me back alright. The internet really did implode over Sonic getting in, his reveal wouldn't be matched in hype until Cloud

God, I remember practically ALL of this. I feel so damn old now. I remember always checking Brawl Dojo right before school so I could talk about all the new info with friends whenever it dropped.

Actually, that site is STILL up! https://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/index.html

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
So I was perusing KnowYourMeme just now and I found this little image that you guys might get a kick out of: This one guy decided to take a look back at old forum posts during the Brawl days in an attempt to piece together what the fanbase was like around that time, and I'm not gonna lie, this was pretty spot-on.
EDIT: Image quality went to hell, here's a direct link.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/661/190/21f.jpg
This is incredibly inaccurate. Part of the interpretation is somewhat representative but most of his “research” is cherry picked and not representative of the Wild West of smash speculation during 2005-2007. It’s just not how things were, believe me, I was there, I was there three thousand years ago, those days that the strength of men failed.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Trolling/baiting
Like I said, my issue isn't the community. It's 100% insider/leaker culture. I can unironically say that I don't mind questions. The whole purpose of my approach was to be more personable and not sit in an Ivory Tower. I'm sad to say that a lot of insiders flat out resent the public and some take a weird, genuinely upsetting joy out of not only messing with people but flat out lying and fully recognizing that they're lying. In short, it's not cool and despite meeting mostly cool people, the few bad apples are so unapologetically bad it kind of spoils the whole experience.
Just gonna do a casual driveby and point out a major deet you decided to leave out of this tear-filled retirement speech: You didn't "retire", you were kicked out of the group. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get that you've grown to like this wannabe "insider" persona and the attention it draws you, hence why you chose to pretend you had this honorable exit instead of being caber tossed out of the group in embarrassing fashion for being a nuisance, but in case you weren't aware, you're already a laughing stock elsewhere in the Smash community. Nothing you say comes to fruition, and people who actually have close ties to leakers say that the people you pretend to be tied to the hip to are routinely annoyed by your antics.

Don't believe him. Verge hasn't been right about Smash in over a year (last August if we want to be super blunt) and has honestly had an awful year altogether. This is the guy that fell for both the Steve and Star Fox Grand Prix leakbait, after all.
Don't throw stones when you're living in a glass house. Or, in this case, a house with a black bird perched atop it. Remember that? Good times.

You haven't gotten a damn thing right except stuff that doesn't require inside knowledge to guess (half the community was predicting content after the Fighter's Pass). You went from saying there were "four possible candidates who are similar but are from different companies" to "It's Lloyd, Nightmare, or Sol Badguy" to "It's definitely Nightmare" in under a month.

I won't stick around and cause trouble here, this post is meant to be a one-off. But I'll be sure to come back when it's not Nightmare and laugh hysterically over your latest blunder. Sound good, Mr. Insider?

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
While it looks totally fake good Lord would I love to have Marina Liteyears in Smash Ultimate. I played Mischief Makers around the time it came out in 1997 - not long after trying out Mario RPG for the first time so I tend to associate both games. To get Geno and Marina in the same game would blow my freakin' mind.

And now that I think about it I wish I'd put Marina on my character image from pages ago lol.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just gonna do a casual driveby and point out a major deet you decided to leave out of this tear-filled retirement speech: You didn't "retire", you were kicked out of the group. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get that you've grown to like this wannabe "insider" persona and the attention it draws you, hence why you chose to pretend you had this honorable exit instead of being caber tossed out of the group in embarrassing fashion for being a nuisance, but in case you weren't aware, you're already a laughing stock elsewhere in the Smash community. Nothing you say comes to fruition, and people who actually have close ties to leakers say that the people you pretend to be tied to the hip to are routinely annoyed by your antics.

Don't throw stones when you're living in a glass house. Or, in this case, a house with a black bird perched atop it. Remember that? Good times.

You haven't gotten a damn thing right except stuff that doesn't require inside knowledge to guess (half the community was predicting content after the Fighter's Pass). You went from saying there were "four possible candidates who are similar but are from different companies" to "It's Lloyd, Nightmare, or Sol Badguy" to "It's definitely Nightmare" in under a month.

I won't stick around and cause trouble here, this post is meant to be a one-off. But I'll be sure to come back when it's not Nightmare and laugh hysterically over your latest blunder. Sound good, Mr. Insider?
Bruh is this kind of vitriol neccesary? Even more so that you walked right in to this thread looking to pick a fight. Not cool.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Being a ******** to people on the internet doesn’t make you look cool bruh.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I'd argue that lying to people for attention and getting people's hopes up for nothing (Guy knew that the Starling wasn't an actual leak) is less necessary and even more of an "******** move" than calling someone out on their BS, but......eh.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

and who are you?

D

Deleted member

Ex-Sabicord and Papagenos’ Forest Maze server user here.

I actually don’t blame Fatman for leaving those places.

People over there can get too heated over meaningless stuff such as someone liking KH or wanting Saber Artoria in.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Bruh is this kind of vitriol neccesary? Even more so that you walked right in to this thread looking to pick a fight. Not cool.
It wouldn't be the first time he does this in this website or any forum board out there.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I think I'm taking a 2 to 3 month break after FP5 is announced. How about you guys?
Keeping up with a thread like this is no sweat for me, plus I love Smash speculation too much and don't want to miss a damn thing. Also, leaving and coming back months later would mean plenty of pages to scroll through, and I'm not too keen of extreme catch-up like that.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
and who are you?
A ghost from Smashboards' past, just dropping by to call out some half-truths, blatant lies, and insane hypocrisies.

Stirring the pot is sorta my schtick. As I said previously, I'm not going to be sticking around, my one and only purpose for visiting this thread was to call Fatman out on the nonsense he's been spewing. Just disregard me and continue business as usual.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Keeping up with a thread like this is no sweat for me, plus I love Smash speculation too much and don't want to miss a damn thing. Also, leaving and coming back months later would mean plenty of pages to scroll through, and I'm not too keen of extreme catch-up like that.
I will be mostly focused on waiting for FF7R and playing whatever i haven't beaten yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think I'm taking a 2 to 3 month break after FP5 is announced. How about you guys?
Technically have already taken two breaks this year so I'm good for now. I think there will be plenty to talk about in the coming days. A January Direct will probably happen so the wait to talk about fresher things won't be that long. Plus, my job is kind of boring so being on my phone helps the days go by faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom