• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
while i found myself getting more excited over gordon than i expected, i can live without him. its prolly for the best; my observation is that most of the fandom wants other characters before him. id also take master chief over him lol

im hoping for a namco bandai rep for #5. while it seems lloyd is the likeliest and most logical choice ive recently come around to thinking that a soul calibur rep would b ****ing awesome even tho i think theres like a 1% chance if im being generous

1) soul calibur is a respectable fighting franchise with nice history behind it
2) a lot of the characters in it use weapons that arent in smash so it doesnt hav to b "lol another sword user." you have potential for lances, dual swords, scythes, nunchakus etc. lots of cool stuff thats not in smash
3) the characters just look swag af. here are some characters i would dig

friendly reminder that while soul calibur isnt a dlc frontrunner it could potentially give us an undead pirate dual wielding swords. like just look at these characters they look so ****ing cool lol

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Vergeben still not deconfirmed Crash. Hmmm...

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I like how fighter 5 speculation with leakers is just playing this game.
pic335812.jpg

"Is it crash?"
"No"
"Is it Gordon Freeman?"
"No"
"Is it Geno?"
"No"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like how fighter 5 speculation with leakers is just playing this game.
View attachment 248029
nah, that would imply that when we get one wrong we cross them out immediately, but instead it's like a weird version of guess who where your opponent takes their board to the neighboring state and every once in a while sends you a text message with one of the characters you can cross off. Also the board is infinitely big.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Well I saw people posting those 3x3 character wants for Smash, so I wanted to chip in with my own little chart:

1. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars)
2. Doomguy (Doom)
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
5. Amaterasu (Okami)
6. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
7. Bill Rizer (Contra)
8. Rayman
9. Yoshimitsu (Tekken/Soul Calibur)

Kinda ran out of color ideas by the time I got to Yoshimitsu, lol.

D

Deleted member

3x3.png

I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to throw my hat into the ring. Being that this is the Geno thread, Geno likely appears on here four times, but that's ok.

EDIT: it's funny how I'm one of the biggest "anime sword man bad" people and yet three of my most wanted behind Geno would likely have a sword as their primary method of attack

Last edited by a moderator:

LDGno97

Smash Cadet
Totally out of topic

I'm making this. It's my new "Genohate" post

I will only release it when the time comes.

I do it mainly to make fun of people (especially from / v /) who have no arguments to say "Geno will NOT be in Smash" (YES, I know there are better ways to do that, but I leave it to those who have more talent to do that).
It's not "giving the importance they deserve" to the haters. I'm not resentful either, but seeing all the inargumentable hate for Geno..made me make this.
It's just a compilation of "Total, and straight" hate for Geno. It's still in progress
I have another add-on specially for /v/ people. I'm on that site just for see what other people thought about videogames, but I landed on an "anti Geno site", just pure hate for my favourite character.
Yes, everyone has rights to their own opinion, but some throw free s*** at Geno, and always resorting to the same arguments. (As if that would tear down our dreams)
These are:

·Irrelevancy
·Only one game
·Side character
·Bandwaggon
·Square not allow it

By now I just enter there for leaks , and to improve the collage, and sometimes I find some Geno supporters (Some are from here)

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Wait, what if the 5th character is really just that? The 5th character of the alphabet?

GUYS I JUST FIGURED OUT WHO THE NEXT FIGHTER IS :ultpacman:

e.png

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Totally out of topic

I'm making this. It's my new "Genohate" post

I will only release it when the time comes.

I do it mainly to make fun of people (especially from / v /) who have no arguments to say "Geno will NOT be in Smash" (YES, I know there are better ways to do that, but I leave it to those who have more talent to do that).
It's not "giving the importance they deserve" to the haters. I'm not resentful either, but seeing all the inargumentable hate for Geno..made me make this.
It's just a compilation of "Total, and straight" hate for Geno. It's still in progress
I have another add-on specially for /v/ people. I'm on that site just for see what other people thought about videogames, but I landed on an "anti Geno site", just pure hate for my favourite character.
Yes, everyone has rights to their own opinion, but some throw free s*** at Geno, and always resorting to the same arguments. (As if that would tear down our dreams)
These are:

·Irrelevancy
·Only one game
·Side character
·Bandwaggon
·Square not allow it

By now I just enter there for leaks , and to improve the collage, and sometimes I find some Geno supporters (Some are from here)
For reference, you'll need to edit out the crude language, homophobic slurs, racial slurs, etc. in that image (you can immediately see it in the K. Rool image, though given that the posts are from 4chan, there's bound to be more), as it's considered censor dodging.

I've edited it out this time (as you can tell by the lime-green blocks in the middle of sentences or words), but keep that in mind for the future.

Also, some of these people have no idea what's first party or what's third party. (and they're looking at the roster with MASSIVE hindsight bias)

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Character #5 is just going to be the Monopoly guy and his final smash sets his opponent $200 in debt which gets them locked up in a small prison box, where a giant gavel falls from the sky, crushing the box and the opponent therein.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
For reference, you'll need to edit out the crude language, homophobic slurs, racial slurs, etc. in that image (you can immediately see it in the K. Rool image, though given that some of the posts are from 4chan, there's bound to be more), as it's considered censor dodging.
I think the most offensive thing in that image is claiming that Geno won't be playable.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Seriously doubt Capcom is #5 and I feel like there's a lot of evidence towards it but I need to mentally sort out what I can and can't talk about. Personal theory is that Capcom is going to be an E3 reveal and, again, I'll go into that more later. In my own thoughts, it's going to boil down to four franchises and I'll talk on that too when I navigate what I can and can't share.
So I understand that you’re very limited in what you can share, but have any of the four franchises been featured in Smash in the past at all?
Edit: or if franchises is too specific, the companies?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I understand that you’re very limited in what you can share, but have any of the four franchises been featured in Smash in the past at all?
Based on what he's said in the past, I wouldn't think #5 has been in a franchise represented in Smash in any way. It's looking like all the people who represented Reggie saying "characters new to Smash" as more than just "everyone is here" marketing turned out to be right, and that's one of my least favorite things about the pass, to be honest.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
View attachment 248034

I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to throw my hat into the ring. Being that this is the Geno thread, Geno likely appears on here four times, but that's ok.

EDIT: it's funny how I'm one of the biggest "anime sword man bad" people and yet three of my most wanted behind Geno would likely have a sword as their primary method of attack
Masked Man used to be a HUGE desire of mine. I've all but given up hope for his chances, though.

And yes - its Masked Man you imbeciles. I don't care if Mother 3 has been out for years, if you've had its events spoiled for you that's a true tragedy. I urge everyone to play that game without prior knowledge and let the game's plot contort your soul.

D

Deleted member

Masked Man used to be a HUGE desire of mine. I've all but given up hope for his chances, though.

And yes - its Masked Man you imbeciles. I don't care if Mother 3 has been out for years, if you've had its events spoiled for you that's a true tragedy. I urge everyone to play that game without prior knowledge and let the game's plot contort your soul.
I figure if after all this time, after a Mii costume and after a spirit, if I can believe in Geno, I can keep believing in Masked Man. The fact that he even got a spirit, one that doesn't upgrade in a spoiler fashion, but instead is locked behind the prestige of beating the story mode... Well, if people think it's a good sign for Geno that he's a Legendary rank, I think something like that can be applied to Masked Man.

He has nowhere near Geno's chances and that's why I'm more of a Geno supporter, but in terms of how a character emotionally affected me, Masked Man actually means more to me, as does Mother 3. If Sakurai beat down my door and told me to choose between them to be added to Smash right now and the other is forgotten for all eternity... I'd be in a really hard spot. I hope I could see their movesets, at least, but not gonna lie, I might would sell out Geno right then and there.

I apologize for my actions in that hypothetical.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So, we go from Namco to Capcom character to Gordon Freeman to Dante...

Everyone sure wants to LATCH on someone and call the character a lock.

Relax folks, we'll know soon enough at the VGA if we're lucky.

:bowser:.
I mean, Dante is a Capcom character

D

Deleted member

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to attempt all the potential evidence for Geno’s inclusion.

- One of the most requested characters not in the game yet and especially requested back in the Brawl days and Smash Ultimate has a fan service theme.

- We all know Sakurai reportedly wanted Geno as a character but never specified why he wasn’t included.

- Super Mario RPG is now available worldwide including Europe and Australia which makes the game more familiar.

- The Mii costume was given to the fans in Smash 4 since it was a bone and acknowledgement towards the fans is currently missing. Sakurai made a Sans costume due to fan demand and made a Rex costume since a lot of people were anticipating for his inclusion and yet oddly Geno’s costume is missing and if it didn’t come with Fighter #5, there’s a good chance he’ll be upgraded being a fighter. The Mii costume could come back later though.

- FF and DQ are two franchises Square Enix loves dearly and their out of the way. Square Enix may likely be more comfortable with Geno being playable since Nintendo basically did them a solid that putting Hero gave DQ more exposure to the West and help promoted DQ 11: Definitive Edition and their poster boy, Cloud Strife is in.

- Nintendo took down 2 music tracks from Mario RPG on YouTube and I think they did the same the with Sans as he ended up being in Smash as a Mii costume and Banjo being playable 2 tracks as Square for each character. If I recall correctly, there was a Grand Theft Auto fanmade track taken down and the YouTube algorithm is messed so I don’t think it’s worth putting that much stock into.

-The Smash team already acknowledges Geno and Mallow as spirits, but doesn’t necessarily disconfirm or confirm Geno. I see as a possibility that Geno being a spirit was at first a consolation prize and the Mii costume is coming back with Hero and since there is more DLC coming because of Ultimate’s sales Geno is now back at the table.

- Sakurai wanted more DLC as an opportunity to please more fans which could very well mean more fan favorites.

- Fatmanonice stated not too long ago, that Geno never left the conversation of serious insider circles since last September. Insiders Sabi as interacted thinking he is basically kind of a safe bet and likely. The worst thing he heard for Geno is that he is 50/50 at worst. And there is substantial stuff tied to him which did not happen to Steve. Based on what he heard and the incidences he had seen, he gives Geno as 75% chance and he’s going to make a big post about it soon.

- There is potentially a real leak about a Cacodemon and Mallow hat. If the leak is real, that means Doomguy and Geno maybe DLC characters. Fortunately, nobody has been able to disprove the leak so far.

EDIT: PapaGenos contacted people and said there was a source who gotten things right like Banjo since the grinch leak days, Luminary instead of Erdrick, and leaked Goemon, Team Rocket Grunts Mii costumes, and no Microsoft costumes. The source claimed that there will be Mallow and Smithy costumes which would come with a playable Geno. The source also claimed SNK costumes wrong which hits the credibility of the source but may not really affect, that costume leak.

- SMRPG got acknowledgement during the 22nd anniversary out of nowhere and wasn’t promoting any product saying Team Mallow or Team Geno and there was TGA question referencing Geno which shows he’s getting more nods than the past decade.

If there is anything I’m missing, let me know. Thank you for listening to my GENO Talk.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to attempt all the potential evidence for Geno’s inclusion.

- One of the most requested characters not in the game yet and especially requested back in the Brawl days and Smash Ultimate has a fan service theme.

- We all know Sakurai reportedly wanted Geno as a character but never specified why.

- Super Mario RPG is now available worldwide including Europe and Australia which makes the game more familiar.

- The Mii costume was given to the fans in Smash 4 since it was a bone and acknowledgement towards the fans is currently missing. Sakurai made a Sans costume due to fan demand and made a Rex costume since a lot of people were anticipating for his inclusion and yet oddly Geno’s costume is missing and if it didn’t come with Fighter #5, there’s a good chance he’ll be upgraded being a fighter. The Mii costume could come back later though.

- FF and DQ are two franchises Square Enix loves dearly and their out of the way. Square Enix may likely be more comfortable with Geno being playable since Nintendo basically did them a solid that putting Hero gave DQ more exposure to the West and help promoted DQ 11: Definitive Edition and their poster boy, Cloud Strife is in.

- Nintendo took down 2 music tracks from Mario RPG on YouTube and I think they did the same the with Sans as he ended up being in Smash as a Mii costume and Banjo being playable 2 tracks as Square for each character. If I recall correctly, there was a Grand Theft Auto fanmade track taken down and the YouTube algorithm is messed so I don’t think it’s worth putting that much stock into.

-The Smash team already acknowledges Geno and Mallow as spirits, but doesn’t necessarily disconfirm or confirm Geno. I see as a possibility that Geno being a spirit was at first a consolation prize and the Mii costume is coming back with Hero and since there is more DLC coming because of Ultimate’s sales Geno is now back at the table.

- Sakurai wanted more DLC as an opportunity to please more fans which could very well mean more fan favorites.

- Fatmanonice stated not too long ago, that Geno never left the conversation of serious insider circles since last September. Insiders Sabi as interacted thinking he is basically kind of a safe bet and likely. The worst thing he heard for Geno is that he is 50/50 at worst. And there is substantial stuff tied to him which did not happen to Steve. Based on what he heard and the incidences he had seen, he gives Geno as 75% chance and he’s going to make a big post about it soon.

- There is potentially a real leak about a Cacodemon and Mallow hat. If the leak is real, that means Doomguy and Geno maybe DLC characters. Fortunately, nobody has been able to disprove the leak so far.

If there is anything I’m missing, let me know. Thank you for listening to my GENO Talk.

Go head and throw papa genos mii list and nintendo tweeting about smrpgs 22 anniversary on there as well.

QQS

Smash Lord
#75: Doom, Crash or Lloyd.
#76: Geno.

Double reveal at the GA. Sakurai will use this global instance just like they did in E3. Just wait and see, my friends. Geno will be the main star of the event, literally.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Gonna make a wild prediction. Fighter 5 is Sub Zero. Based on all the little things we've been told, I think he fits. Plus he'd be perfect for the game awards audience. Scorpion may be out of the running, but no one said anything about Sub Zero.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, so, Capcom. Kind of a weird situation. As a basic premise, I showed off the Power of Six Theory here because one of the strongest things in its favor was that it matched up with our intel with one of the biggest takeaways that there was a high chance of another Namco, Square, and Capcom character coming eventually. From here, let's go into some focus points:

-The Fighter's Pass was initially final.-

An important thing to keep in mind is from various accounts including Sakurai that from roughly Spring 2018 to roughly Summer 2019, that the Fighter's Pass was going to be it. 5 characters. Done. Sakurai goes to Aruba for a few months. Why does this play against Capcom?

-All the characters in the pass have been the first new company additions for the game.

-Capcom added Ken in the base roster.

This provides strong evidence that the Fighter's Pass was also meant to end on a "new" company to Ultimate, even if the company was from a previous game.

On the topic of finality, I've highlighted this before but I'll go over it again. This is more or less the premise of my "Thank You" theory:

Joker- Persona inspired Sakurai in recent years.
Hero- DQ inspired Sakurai virtually all his career.
Banjo- A thank you to the fans, going the extra mile to get a literal competitor's character.
Terry- SNK got Sakurai into fighting games in the first place so, without it, Smash probably wouldn't exist.
???- More than likely another character from a company or franchise that has a decent amount of signifance to Sakurai.

Capcom really doesn't fit the bill here, especially when you consider the previous points.

-Capcom in Insider Talks-

It might come as a surprise to people that Capcom is actually a fairly new addition to insider talks. Even more shocking, it's actually the third youngest with Crash being the youngest. What does this mean? Of the 10 or so characters that we've heard since last September that haven't been hard deconfirmed yet, a hypothetical Capcom rep is ranked 8th overall. For frame of reference, the first rumblings of Crash were late spring 2019. What does this mean? It creates an interesting situation. As we all know, the Fighter's Pass was finalized in early November 2018. For further reference, the 1-7 (which includes Geno and Ryu) were all first heard in 2018. For even further reference, Hero was late summer 2018 and Banjo was first heard late October 2018. If the 5th rep was Capcom, there's definitely a significant time gap of roughly seven months, ironically first being heard in a near time frame from when "Season 2" was first being heard. That said, it provides an argument for Capcom being post pass and, based on the time frame it was first heard, probably futher down the line leading to the next part...

-The Mii costume approach-

So, this is where we move to the center of the arena. With Capcom being heard "late", it makes an argument that it would be later. Like I've said before, various strands of evidence already point to future DLC (5 included) having reps from Square, Namco, and Capcom. Compared to the other two, Capcom was heard significantly later, also suggested that it too will come later. Going back to the Mii costumes, the initial plan seems to point at that each pass was to come with at least two MIi costumes from Smash 4. It's been walked down to death but the Geno Mii and the Chocobo hat would have fit Hero's pass like a glove and the same with Heihachi with Terry. With three Namco, four Capcom, and one Square Mii costume (plus a hat) currently MIA, which would be the most practical to knock out in one pass? Four Capcom in one pass would mean that the hypothetical Capcom character would have equal footing to another series, with two being Megaman and two being Monster Hunter. Kind of strange. Banjo was the only exception to this because he had no RARE or Microsoft costumes at all but perhaps was originally intended to have more of Namco's or Capcom's, if we make the argument that the original idea was to bring back all the Smash 4 costumes with DLC. This is somewhat supported by how San's was supposed a fairly late decision and possibly beat out someone else. Let's take this even further...

What happens if we were to promote two of these eight? Gil goes with either Lloyd or Heihachi and Chocobo goes with Geno. Fairly simple, leaving four Capcom that could easily be split among the two for the sake of completion and still follow the "rule" that no more than two full Smash 4 Mii costumes from the same company come back with each character. Neat and tidy, seemingly suggested by the original layout of the Fighter Pass that probably no more than 3 Smash 4 Mii costumes were intended per pass and, even then, probably still following the "rule" of no more than two per company per pass. Of course, another simple division from all of this is that two of these four could simply come with a Capcom character in the future. Oh la la! Which company currently has the two costume default already set up no mater the default? Hint, it's not Square...

-Examining the Possibility of Capcom at E3-

So, dancing down this road. Namco can take care of it itself and sticking two Capom Mii costumes with the ~mysterious~ Square character is simple so now we just have two Capcom costumes floating in the void. What's a more natural place to stick them then with a future Capcom character? Again, based on when we heard about a hypothetical rep, it suggests E3 or later if they even happen at all. Why also possibly later? Because, very recently, the Capcom name that we had been hearing since the summer was accused of being leakbait! Scandal! The keyword, however, is "accused" and, with no hard evidence yet, it merely casts doubt than entire damnation. Why is this significant? Because "leakbait" implies that it's information being used to purposely misdirect to cover up real information. The most famous example in the Smash fandom right now is how Steve was leakbait to protect the whereabouts of Banjo. If Capcom really is putting out leakbait with another character, who are they trying to cover up? From here, I suggest that the four Capcom franchises that have the most realistic chances in the future are: Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, and Devil May Cry. Not a huge jump in logic because these are the four biggest franchises in the company not yet with a playable rep. Now, in my personal opinion, it's not Monster Hunter mainly because of all the content it got in the base game with music and even a boss. In my opinion, the Mii costumes are highly likely to return (probably with the hypothetical Capcom rep) but there would be little doubt of that regardless. So that then leaves the remaining three and begs the question, which is leakbait and which is real? Mystery upon mysteries. I only know the accused but they could be "innocent" or... they could all be bull****! Fun times!

Hope you all enjoyed this ramble on the whole Capcom topic. As always, this is merely my own speculation and I could be violently, unforgivably wrong on all of it but perhaps it's something to consider none-the-less.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Gonna make a wild prediction. Fighter 5 is Sub Zero. Based on all the little things we've been told, I think he fits. Plus he'd be perfect for the game awards audience. Scorpion may be out of the running, but no one said anything about Sub Zero.
MK is banned in Japan. As unlikely as a video game character could be

MisterMike

Smash Champion
- We all know Sakurai reportedly wanted Geno as a character but never specified why.
Actually, he did specify why. It was mainly because he would be a natural fit for Smash in his eyes thanks to his gun arm and despite his age, he's still a very popular request, especially with regards to older characters.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/
"Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality."
"Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume."

- Nintendo took down 2 music tracks from Mario RPG on YouTube and I think they did the same with Sans as he ended up being in Smash as a Mii costume and Banjo being playable 2 tracks as Square for each character. If I recall correctly, there was a Grand Theft Auto fanmade track taken down and the YouTube algorithm is messed so I don’t think it’s worth putting that much stock into.
Hmm, first I've heard of a GTA track being taken down. Can you/someone elaborate on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom