• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
People on Twitter already think this means Dante is coming. I would be cool with Dante myself, but didn't the creator de-confirm for the Fighter's Pass a while back?
Actually no, Itsuno didn't deconfirm Dante in Smash Bros. Back in February he said that he was pretty sure every character that was in Smash Bros at least had a game on a Nintendo console and that Devil May Cry never been on Nintendo. So he stated that Devil May Cry should be on Switch before Dante can join Smash Bros and that the fans should make a campaign to Capcom to start porting the games to Switch. The funny thing is that three months later the first Devil May Cry was announced to be ported to the Switch. It takes a good while to port games to Switch, even if they're old, so there was an extremely good chance that Itsuno and Capcom were already planning to port the DMC games way before Itsuno made that comment (it's hard to believe that they got to work immediately after that comment and were able to make a working port in less than three months due to how they have to schedule what team is working on what project a head of time).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._demand_says_series_should_be_on_switch_first

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
People on Twitter already think this means Dante is coming. I would be cool with Dante myself, but didn't the creator de-confirm for the Fighter's Pass a while back?
Didn't Kirkhope say something similar about Banjo? I don't think a character is deconfirmed just because their developer said they're not in. If anything, developers openly talking about their character Smash seems like a way bigger death sentence to me.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I've considered Dante, Travis Touchdown, Master Chief and I think some other characters as pretty much impossible for the Fighter's Pass due to things the people who design their games have said. Definitely fair game afterward, though.

I could see Dante or Master Chief being a great fit for the VGAs, though. In regards to my whole "they're gonna reveal FP5 before that" idea, weren't there like two private videos uploaded to the Smash youtube channel a while ago? Haven't heard anything further about it, but it really is sus.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Didn't Kirkhope say something similar about Banjo? I don't think a character is deconfirmed just because their developer said they're not in. If anything, developers openly talking about their character Smash seems like a way bigger death sentence to me.
Yeah, there is never going to be a time where an interviewer ask a developer if their character is getting into Smash Bros and they respond with "Oh yeah, totally. Our character is gonna be one of the DLC character, we talked to Sakurai and signed the papers. Please look forward to the reveal."
NDAs are always a thing.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Call me petty, but considering Capcom has sold the Devil May Cry games individually and not a cheaper collection for the sake of making more money, I really don't want Dante in Smash for the sake of promotion.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Kinda late on the 3x3 thing, but it sounded like a fun project. Here's my current list!

smash3x3.jpg

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Kinda late on the 3x3 thing, but it sounded like a fun project. Here's my current list!

While I really don't care about most of your choices here that aren't big talks at the mo, I must say that imagining Amaterasu in Smash Ultimate sounds absolutely amazing! Also, who is the weird alien thing?

Also also, how do you do this format?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
While I really don't care about most of your choices here that aren't big talks at the mo, I must say that imagining Amaterasu in Smash Ultimate sounds absolutely amazing! Also, who is the weird alien thing?

Also also, how do you do this format?
Yeah, there are so many amazing Capcom characters. I think Amaterasu would fit Smash well from every angle just about, gameplay, music, design, aesthetics, etc.

The alien is Abe from the Oddworld series. I wanted to throw in a super obscure character for fun. Oddworld Abe's Odyssey and Abe's Exodus are two classic PS1 era games. Abe was planned to be DLC for PS All-stars, but, not surprisingly, most of the DLC for that game was canceled. Oddworld Stranger's Wrath is on the switch, so he technically could make it in. That said, we're talking as close to 0% as we can get haha. Still love that series and recommend it.

Edit: For the formatting, Google search your character's name and "Transparent." Look for images with a checkered background. I made a 600x600 pixel document and divided it into 200x200 squares, sampling colors from the characters I selected. Place your characters on a layer above the background and erase/mask out the parts of the image that spill beyond the square.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Why is a Capcom character in the running, if I may ask?
So far, they haven't had any characters in the Fighter Pass despite being one of the most generous companies in terms of their content in Smash. And even though we got the Zero and Proto Man Mii Costumes back with Banjo, there's still plenty of others to choose from, both old from Smash 4 DLC and new ones from whatever franchise gets a rep.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Here. It's still kinda messy like the last one, but I had the idea and really wanted to do it, even if I didn't have much time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why is a Capcom character in the running, if I may ask?
The only Capcom Mii Costumes that have returned were Zero and Proto Man. Which imo technically does deconfirm a Capcom character for this pass even though not all of them have returned.
Sega had the Sonic costumes return through Joker, and Akira and Jacky with Terry. Square Enix was all new Mii Costumes (Geno and Chocobo MIA), Konami didn’t have any costumes in 4 so Goemon is brand new, and the Namco costumes are suspiciously absent. They could have brought back Lloyd with Hero (JRPG characters) or Heihachi with Terry and the Virtua Fighter costumes (fighting game characters) but they didn’t.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
"Ha ha, Nintendo can't be THAT mad about the Sword and Shield leaks, right? Right?!"

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1199013200580218882
Are they trying to go after every person who was spreading leaks around or just the people who first stole the games before launch and was leaking them?

Also, I don't know how much damage the leaks actually caused for Nintendo. A lot of people ended up buying the game just to stick it to those angry Gamers™️ who liked the natural dex.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
So far, they haven't had any characters in the Fighter Pass despite being one of the most generous companies in terms of their content in Smash. And even though we got the Zero and Proto Man Mii Costumes back with Banjo, there's still plenty of others to choose from, both old from Smash 4 DLC and new ones from whatever franchise gets a rep.
I mean, with that logic, konami should still be in the running as well. They have just as much content in the game as capcom. And they dont even have any mii costumes yet.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Here. It's still kinda messy like the last one, but I had the idea and really wanted to do it, even if I didn't have much time.
That's amazing. I'm really loving all the Geno and Doomguy art that's getting made, even though I'm not crazy about Doomguy myself.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, with that logic, konami should still be in the running as well. They have just as much content in the game as capcom. And they dont even have any mii costumes yet.
Goemon. Mystical Ninja Goemon is a Konami IP

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are they trying to go after every person who was spreading leaks around or just the people who first stole the games before launch and was leaking them?

Also, I don't know how much damage the leaks actually caused for Nintendo. A lot of people ended up buying the game just to stick it to those angry Gamers™️ who liked the natural dex.
Nintendo basically went into Code Red to avoid the floods of negative PR from affecting sales. Basically Nintendo's pissed that they had to dedicate weeks of time and probably millions to squash it so now they're wanting to collect on being "inconvenienced."

Griselda

Smash Lord
That's amazing. I'm really loving all the Geno and Doomguy art that's getting made, even though I'm not crazy about Doomguy myself.
I'm the same, honestly. I've never even touched a Doom game - I think - but apparently it's canon that Doomguy and Geno are just friends now, which is funny and cool at the same time. ...I also felt kinda obligated to give him some screentime after he missed the last one.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Call me petty, but considering Capcom has sold the Devil May Cry games individually and not a cheaper collection for the sake of making more money, I really don't want Dante in Smash for the sake of promotion.
It's funny because you can get the original trilogy as a collection for other systems for like $20. The prices on switch ports are absurd.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Nintendo basically went into Code Red to avoid the floods of negative PR from affecting sales. Basically Nintendo's pissed that they had to dedicate weeks of time and probably millions to squash it so now they're wanting to collect on being "inconvenienced."
From what I saw, most gaming journalism sites were speaking positive about the games during the leaks. Even going against a lot of the backlash The only bad PR was some non-gaming related sites releasing a harsh review of them a day or two before release and a bunch of angry people on twitter and reddit.

Before the leaks, all the bad PR was caused by Nintendo/Game Freak themselves.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
That’s a fair point actually, why haven’t we discussed a Konami character? Besides the upper management being the worst these days.
I guess Capcom is more in the conversation due to the larger number of iconic characters that aren’t already in Smash in some way. Konami’s got Silent Hill, Contra, Gradius, uhh... Zone of the Enders?

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I´m sorry but Nintendo must be pretty stupid to hire experts to try to track down leakers instead of doing something necessary like giving Game Freak a better schedule to release their games or even a bigger budget

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Devil May Cry 1 and 2 for $20 each is a hard sell especially with the collection and especially 2 since it's not worth paying for at all. 3 though? I know it's a rip off but I'll gladly pay $20 for 3 on Switch. It's a fantastic game.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
first reply I see is "so that's where the budget went." Talk about a quality post. Also just to be clear, wouldn't that be The Pokemon Company being that pissed?
I want to think TPC knew exactly what they were releasing and didn't want people to know till after release.

Which by then would be to late for most sales. Thats why they are pissed about all this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want to think TPC knew exactly what they were releasing and didn't want people to know till after release.
No, I totally believe that. No question that they knew SwSh was a halfassed product and a bad foot to start on for mainline Pokemon's debut on a home console and they just shrugged and knew the money would be in their pocket as everyone lined up to get it close to day one.

Any hesitation at all on buying a Pokemon game hurts their bottom line.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, we go from Namco to Capcom character to Gordon Freeman to Dante...

Everyone sure wants to LATCH on someone and call the character a lock.

Relax folks, we'll know soon enough at the VGA if we're lucky.

:bowser:.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
That’s a fair point actually, why haven’t we discussed a Konami character? Besides the upper management being the worst these days.
I guess Capcom is more in the conversation due to the larger number of iconic characters that aren’t already in Smash in some way. Konami’s got Silent Hill, Contra, Gradius, uhh... Zone of the Enders?
Why, that's simple.

Bomberman is still just an Assist Trophy, so there's no need to talk about them. :ultpacman:

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
I mean, technically we have with ryu hayabusa, now that I think about it. It just seems he may be post pass. In which i think another capcom character would be saved for post pass as well. Or is ninja gaiden not considered konami?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, technically we have with ryu hayabusa, now that I think about it. It just seems he may be post pass. In which i think another capcom character would be saved for post pass as well.
Ryu Hayabusa is a Koei Tecmo character, not Konami.

I think the reason is that most of Konami's well known franchises are already represented in some way - Metal Gear and Castlevania have playable reps, Bomberman is in snowglobe hell(tm) and possibly their last viable fighter, Goemon, is now an assist trophy. As much as I love Gradius, I know better than to expect the Vic Viper to become a playable character (and I've mentioned before that the human counterpart to the Vic Viper and other player ships from the Otomedius spinoff are outright lewd), and I don't really see a Contra rep happening for the same reason I didn't have any stock in Gordon Freeman (and to a lesser extent why I have historically had little faith in Doom Guy).

The last rep I can think of that Konami owns and would make a good fighter is Django, the protagonist of the first three Boktai games. Unfortunately, he's one of Hideo Kojima's creations, just like Zone of the Enders, so I'm fairly certain Konami is never going to let him see the light of day again.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I mean, technically we have with ryu hayabusa, now that I think about it. It just seems he may be post pass. In which i think another capcom character would be saved for post pass as well. Or is ninja gaiden not considered konami?
Hayabusa's actually a Koei Tecmo character. I can't blame you for think that though, since Ninja Gaiden is very similar to Castlevania in some ways (the older games are, at least)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seriously doubt Capcom is #5 and I feel like there's a lot of evidence towards it but I need to mentally sort out what I can and can't talk about. Personal theory is that Capcom is going to be an E3 reveal and, again, I'll go into that more later. In my own thoughts, it's going to boil down to four franchises and I'll talk on that too when I navigate what I can and can't share.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Why, that's simple.

Bomberman is still just an Assist Trophy, so there's no need to talk about them. :ultpacman:
*laughter that turns into crying*

EDIT:
Seriously doubt Capcom is #5 and I feel like there's a lot of evidence towards it but I need to mentally sort out what I can and can't talk about. Personal theory is that Capcom is going to be an E3 reveal and, again, I'll go into that more later. In my own thoughts, it's going to boil down to four franchises and I'll talk on that too when I navigate what I can and can't share.
Really? So we have four companies that character 5 could be from... and NONE of them are Capcom?

Okay now I’m REALLY curious what they are

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom