• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
So since we’re on the topic of why I supported geno, mine is for multiple reasons, because i loved smrpg, thought geno was badass(cuz well...he was intended to be) because I thought it’d be awesome to have him as a square rep in brawl, and also...

My crazier reason was that i hoped it would drive interest in the game again so we could get a sequel.

When the gba was still the hottest handheld on the market couple years earlier, and we started seeing remakes of snes games, I started getting hopeful that smrpg would be remade on it, with new bonus features similar to the other snes remakes, but it never happened. It was also during this time that i was active on a smrpg fansite that was pushing for a remake (can’t remember the name now, but it basically had the culex battle background as it’s site background iirc, or it could have been starhill, one of those two, so for anyone else old enough, you very well could have also been part of that site) When the ds was revealed I thought “maybe smrpg was just too much for the gba to handle, THIS new machine could easily get a remake” but....it never happened. I had given up hope at that point of ever having a portable smrpg. When the wii was released and the vc announced, I thought “well at least I’ll have a digital backup, and maybe it’ll sell really well so square and Nintendo see that it’s super popular so they’ll make a sequel now.” And when brawl was revealed i was kinda hoping that him being in would help push that as well into being reality.....

But...none of that ever happened, still, I continue to support geno now, not just because i still think he’s an awesome character who’d fit really well in smash, but also cuz I still hold on to that hope that maybe his revival would help bring a sequel to reality.

EDIT: now I’m actually kinda bummed cuz I can’t find that old site at all, probably lost by now as it was an old mid-2000s site and once wikis took over in preserving old promotional artwork and beta elements(a big draw of the site), i get the feeling it died off completely and was shut down.

All i can remember other than the background was it’s name was abbreviated similar to smrpg itself.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Salutations yet again Geno Bros!

Something that came to mind a couple of hours ago; it's curious to think that certainly, a couple of times now, some of us here on the thread (and the forums even) have mentioned the name of the 5th DLC Fighter and we just don't know it. :eek: Every time the name is mentioned, most likely some special guests in the thread might suddenly become suspicious and wonder if it was just a wild guess, or if the user knows.

Another thing I wondered was perhaps asking the following questions (which most likely will not be answered for obvious reasons).

1. Does the 5th DLC Fighter currently have a support thread in Smashboards?:nifty:
2. Does the 5th DLC Fighter belong to a franchise from a third party that has already collaborated on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?:nifty:

I hope something juicy drops soon. :denzel:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So I know you probably already ignored me because I was being facetious XD but I still wanted to weigh in on the Geno thing. First of all, SMRPG represents a time in my life before life really struck me hard with depression and anxiety. I used to play SMRPG at my grandparents house because that's where I kept my SNES to play after school. In the same house lies one of my most powerful memories: watching Looney Tunes with my uncle who at the time worked nights and was consequently trying to actually get some sleep at the times I came in to spend time with him but of course I didn't realize or understand this as a child. That fact makes those memories all the more potent. Every time I boot up SMRPG I remember that room, the smells, the laughs, I think about my uncle and my grandparents. My uncle and grandparents are thankfully all still living, but my uncle has honestly just dropped off the face of the planet and never seems to be able to make the time for me in spite of his schedule like he used to. The magic I remember going into that room as a kid is gone. For adult me, magic is dead. Yet, those memories hold more power even to me now than any negative experience in the past or present.

Geno was the character that I connected with as a player. I understand not every player connected with Geno or did so to the extent that I did, but I was always a creative-minded individual and Geno's design and entire existence as a star spirit inhabiting a wooden doll that also happened to basically be a gun really spoke to me. As a result Geno became a symbol of not only everything I loved about SMRPG (which is still in my top 3 favorite games), but also a symbol of the magical moments in my childhood.

Basically, Geno is relevant to ME.

It doesn't hurt that Geno is bursting with UNIQUE moveset potential, Sakurai likes him and has said that fun to play trumps being relevant, and he would fulfil the unique niche in Smash and really most other games for that matter of being a "gun mage". There's just not other characters like Geno. After all this time, gaming has yet to make another character that has that awe-inspiring Swiss army knife utility in every facet of their being like Geno has at least in my experience (not that my experience matters more than any one else's).

But yeah I totally agree with what others are saying. Even if Geno wasn't, SMRPG was impactful for them and THEIR gaming history. Everything is subjective. Whether a character is fun, relevant, interesting, unique, has potential, is "deserving", all depends on US and so that's why Geno is such an interesting case study. WE have kept him alive and kept him relevant for over two decades just because we care and are passionate about the character or game or whatever the case may be. So if Geno's unique Moveset and gimmick potential doesn't do enough for you to show why we want him, you would be unconvinced by any character that you don't personally want or like. I know almost nothing about many names that come up in speculation but start to get excited about them regardless if I like concepts for their movesets. You don't have to understand anything beyond how the character would translate to smash and for us, who have been championing for him for so long, his potential is obvious, but I can understand it not being the case for outsiders or those who aren't as creatively inclined to think about and critique movesets. You can take offense to that if you like, but that's really what it comes down to.

And Mario is not only not overrepresented imo, but also has essentially zero nods to some of its important spin off series like the RPGs. While I support Waluigi and also want him in Smash, I fail to see what you see in him that makes him a better option for Smash than Geno. Waluigi really has no relevance other than that he is in Mario spin off games, is actually literally not a main character unlike Geno, has very little in the way of personality although what he does have is both endearing and enraging, has much less in the way of Moveset potential and unique mechanics or gimmicks (but certainly still enough for one; don't get me wrong, I do really want him), and is just a guy literally created to fill a space because Wario was reverse Mario and they decided they needed a reverse Luigi whereas Geno is a wish-granting star spirit who inhabits a wooden doll that is filled to the brim with guns and can also use magic because it's a star spirit oh and also looks totally amazing and has an interesting albeit poorly fleshed out personality and a mission and reason for existence and... I will say that Waluigi has a great design tho. Only making this comparison since you brought up Waluigi.

Llyod is cool and I support his inclusion in Smash even though I've never played Tales of games. Yes he's another swordie but I could see him actually being unique. I can't say I totally understand the hype or desire for him either, but I respect him and I feel that people do have good reasons for wanting him even if I don't understand them. See? It's not so hard to state the lack of understanding for something in a respectful manner.

D

Deleted member

So, anyone thinks that something will happen next week regarding Smash Bros. Ultimate? If not, the week after?
According to some anon that pays way more attention to this stuff than I ever could, 11/21 is basically Nintendo day, and has been the go to day for releases or announcements in the past. Being /v/posting, it's both worth trying to fact check, and also worth not putting much stock into.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Green eggs and ham but Sam I am is trying to get Guy to support Geno for smash.
I do not want him in this game,
I just think Geno is lame
Salutations yet again Geno Bros!

Something that came to mind a couple of hours ago; it's curious to think that certainly, a couple of times now, some of us here on the thread (and the forums even) have mentioned the name of the 5th DLC Fighter and we just don't know it. :eek: Every time the name is mentioned, most likely some special guests in the thread might suddenly become suspicious and wonder if it was just a wild guess, or if the user knows.

Another thing I wondered was perhaps asking the following questions (which most likely will not be answered for obvious reasons).

1. Does the 5th DLC Fighter currently have a support thread in Smashboards?:nifty:
2. Does the 5th DLC Fighter belong to a franchise from a third party that has already collaborated on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?:nifty:

I hope something juicy drops soon. :denzel:
If I say Lloyd enough times it’ll come true:ultpacman:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Double posting
Funny how fickle the Speculation community is. So many people have dropped the Mii Hat leak as another instance of falsehood despite the fact that it still holds at least a spark of potential. Still can't be outright debunked. We're so hungry for new things to throw energy at that any number of accurate leaks/statements could be lingering on the path of cynicism we've left behind.
Yeah honestly I believe the leak is real, I don’t think they are locks but things seem really good for Doomslayer and geno for post pass, also it would make sense why the guys in Bethesda would say “yeah” when talking about smash bros, sakurai was probably just talking to them at the time.
God TGAs can’t come any sooner

So I'm 33 years old and Mario RPG was one of my favorite games growing up. This game was one of the best games on the SNES (along with Link To The Past, Mario World etc.) VERY VERY good game............................... but I have to be 100% honest I have NO IDEA why Geno is such a requested character. I literally couldn't not care less about him.

He has ONLY been in ONE mario game (albeit a great game) and imho does not deserve smash roster status... I mean why not put Smithy in then?? He's the main villain. Or Mallow or even Croco? If Geno was in 3 or 4 games I'd say yeah but we have WAAAAAAAAY enough mario reps in smash. I'd prefer basically ANY other character over him. Like Lloyd Irving for example. There isn't a single tales character in this game and if we're talking about rpg characters... I'd MUCH rather have one from Tales than ANOTHER mario rep.

Just don't get it.
Literally just go to the OP, it explains everything you need

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, it is such a long wait for fighter 5...

But then again, time goes by fast, does it?

Plank08

Smash Lord
Hm... my question is though, what makes a character "smash worthy?" Is it fan hype for a character or is it the character being relevant to a series. I mean I think Cloud (even if you think he's just another "swordie") was a WAY better rep for smash than Geno (from Square) because of his game representation. But if we base it off of just character hype... holy moly... we could get literally anything into the game.
Oh my god that’s not a thing, nobody needs to be worthy when we have ROB, ice climbers, and a Plant in smash, sakurai even said it’s not a major factor
QUOTE="Fatmanonice, post: 23664198, member: 43365"]So I'm going to get super heavy and I apologise in advance for anyone reading this but I wanted to just go ahead and dive into the biggest reason I'm a Geno fan:

As many of you know, I have ADHD so let's just be brief in saying it has caused some "behavior issues." I can be excitable, impulsive, and just generally weird. I'm almost 32 and, as you all have seen, these things still get me in trouble from time to time. An ongoing message for most of my childhood was "it's not okay to be weird" so I honestly just felt like a monster most of the time and that I didn't belong anywhere. Jack Skellington was the first adult I saw that had my personality but people loved him. He had a whole town that let him be as weird and creative as he wanted to be. I envied that so hard...

Years pass and SMRPG comes. Again, right off the bat, super weird but then somethings happen in the story. Mario's a spastic ****ing goof and yet he's still the hero. He does all this weird stuff and over the top actions but everyone still respects and listen to him. They still like him. W..why can't people be like that for me? Mallow, Bowser, and Peach all have big emotions in this game and weird behavior but nobody makes a huge stink about it. When Mallow cries, people try to comfort him. When Bowser's fuming, even Mario tries to calm him down in an equally calm way. People didn't treat me like that. People had short fuses with me. Few people had patience with me. I remember one episode where a babysitter's boyfriend literally threw me at a sliding glass door and the babysitter just laughed. I was being weird... I deserved it...

Later on, Geno comes into the game. He's very obviously out of place and people comment on this throughout the game. He's weird but nobody nags him for it. He's different but Mario and Mallow accept him immediately. Geno was kind of quiet and methodical and I immediately saw myself in him. "Wow, ha ha, I'm in a Mario game" thought 8 year old me and I'm going on this crazy adventure with my favorite video game character (Mario) and people like me. People note I'm different and weird but they still like me and want to have me around. Geno was what childhood me wished I was, cool and confident and comfortable enough in my own skin (er... wood) to just be myself and be happy with who I was.

To some degree it worked. I enjoyed playing as Geno on the playground and there was one occasion where I "saved" a kid from being beat up by two classmates because I pretended to be Geno (although they were probably just weirded out). Yadda yadda yadda. Beat the game. Emotionally devastating ending for 8 year old me. Have wanted to see Geno come back in a meaningful way ever since.[/QUOTE]
I think this passage made me respect you even more, I’m sorry you had to go through that as a kid but I’m happy geno was there for you, and I’m sure he’s gonna come back for all of us.
Also I’m sorry CJBrine, take as much time as you need dude

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think this passage made me respect you even more, I’m sorry you had to go through that as a kid but I’m happy geno was there for you, and I’m sure he’s gonna come back for all of us.
You know, there is something called the edit button. Might want to knock it off with the double posting and use that button.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Man, it is such a long wait for fighter 5...

But then again, time goes by fast, does it?
Hoping I don't waste away before then.
Not that it won't be worth it no matter who it is (I say as someone who just needs Geno at this point), but it really is such a grueling wait. Pray to the stars and Sakurai that the wait will be over before we know it.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Reading the past several pages of people explaining why Geno deserves his spot in Smash Bros. was quite the experience.

Honestly, I'm probably one of the few people in this thread who didn't grow up with Super Mario RPG. I wouldn't play the game until sometime after it hit the Wii Virtual Console (though my first exposure to Geno himself was through his Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga cameo, even if I didn't know at the time). Even with that in mind, I still wholeheartedly agree that Geno would make a great addition to Smash, just based on his design, personality, and abilities in the game.

Still, having grown up with a different Mario RPG, it also makes me sad that my favorite character from that game doesn't have nearly the same kind of fan following that Geno has, and thus nowhere near the same chance at being a playable Smash character.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Reading the past several pages of people explaining why Geno deserves his spot in Smash Bros. was quite the experience.

Honestly, I'm probably one of the few people in this thread who didn't grow up with Super Mario RPG. I wouldn't play the game until sometime after it hit the Wii Virtual Console (though my first exposure to Geno himself was through his Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga cameo, even if I didn't know at the time). Even with that in mind, I still wholeheartedly agree that Geno would make a great addition to Smash, just based on his design, personality, and abilities in the game.

Still, having grown up with a different Mario RPG, it also makes me sad that my favorite character from that game doesn't have nearly the same kind of fan following that Geno has, and thus nowhere near the same chance at being a playable Smash character.

Honestly we shouldve had a couple Mario RPG reps by now imo

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

I'm currently going through them as well. Quite an interesting and insightful read. And I can tell you first hand that you ain't alone here in not having a deep, longstanding attachment to Geno. Matter of fact my case is even more recent.

My first time hearing about him was actually through lurking (which i guess is my favorite pastime) a Nintendo Facebook page in 2012 back when I still used that hellhole of a website. People there weren't even campaigning for his inclusion in Smash, rather just sharing their love of Geno and his game of origin. Even back then I appreciated their immense passion for an old character of their childhoods and I believe that positivity is what made me think highly of him before I became aware of his requests for Smash or even actually played SMRPG. That and his design, which I mean, how could I not like it? And speaking of that game, I only got to play it less than an year ago! Compare that to many who were creating bonds with SMRPG and its world and characters before I was even born, and my love for them should be pretty insignificant. Yet here I am, rallying for him as much as everyone else, with much less frequency in actually posting but eh.

I see people saying that most Geno supporters (particularly ones who joined the cause more recently) are bandwagoners who have never played his game far too often, but with people like you and me who experienced and loved it well after its heyday, I can't help but disagree.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I'm currently going through them as well. Quite an interesting and insightful read. And I can tell you first hand that you ain't alone here in not having a deep, longstanding attachment to Geno. Matter of fact my case is even more recent.

My first time hearing about him was actually through lurking (which i guess is my favorite pastime) a Nintendo Facebook page in 2012 back when I still used that hellhole of a website. People there weren't even campaigning for his inclusion in Smash, rather just sharing their love of Geno and his game of origin. Even back then I appreciated their immense passion for an old character of their childhoods and I believe that positivity is what made me think highly of him before I became aware of his requests for Smash or even actually played SMRPG. That and his design, which I mean, how could I not like it? And speaking of that game, I only got to play it less than an year ago! Compare that to many who were creating bonds with SMRPG and its world and characters before I was even born, and my love for them should be pretty insignificant. Yet here I am, rallying for him as much as everyone else, with much less frequency in actually posting but eh.

I see people saying that most Geno supporters (particularly ones who joined the cause more recently) are bandwagoners who have never played his game far too often, but with people like you and me who experienced and loved it well after its heyday, I can't help but disagree.
Not gonna lie, the amount of people who didn’t play Super Mario RPG as kids and still support Geno for Smash warms my heart a bit. Cause from the outside people might think that the only people who support Geno are old codgers, but it’s clear that Geno’s sheer awesomeness transcends time and generations.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Heck, forget about Smash, why can't we have RPG characters in other Mario spin-offs? I'd be ecstatic to play as Geno, Dimentio, Fawful etc. in Mario Kart :drflip:

... you know, if they can figure out how to properly fit Paper Mario characters with the rest of the cast.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Heck, forget about Smash, why can't we have RPG characters in other Mario spin-offs? I'd be ecstatic to play as Geno, Dimentio, Fawful etc. in Mario Kart :drflip:

... you know, if they can figure out how to properly fit Paper Mario characters with the rest of the cast.
Literally even the slightest nod to the RPGs would make me so happy. The only non-rpg Mario games to reference the RPGs are Mario Party 5 with the Star Spirits and Mario Pinball with Koopatrol

At this point a Woo Bean showing up in the background in Mario Golf would make me happy

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Literally even the slightest nod to the RPGs would make me so happy. The only non-rpg Mario games to reference the RPGs are Mario Party 5 with the Star Spirits and Mario Pinball with Koopatrol

At this point a Woo Bean showing up in the background in Mario Golf would make me happy
We're really overdue to that kind of stuff honestly. I don't get why Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi get recognized in Mario spin-offs yet the RPGs and the entire Wario sub-series are just kinda swept under the rug

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
We're really overdue to that kind of stuff honestly. I don't get why Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi get recognized in Mario spin-offs yet the RPGs and the entire Wario sub-series are just kinda swept under the rug
I mean, even Wario games don’t reference old Wario games these days, but I still agree. I feel like Mario Spin-offs in general have been a lot more limited in what they reference recently, like compare how many Sunshine inspired tracks there were in Double Dash to the amount of Mario Galaxy content in... ANY Mario spin-off since it came out.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oddly enough, Yoshi references are not as prevalent either. Think of any "Yoshi" track and you'll realize they don't represent the colorbook aesthetic of any of the Yoshi's Island games. Poochy only appeared in a brief (and I mean B R I E F) cameo in Double Dash, Baby Bowser is missing, almost no enemies original started in Yoshi games appear and hell, not even KAMEK shows up. The only real reference are the Baby racers (and even then, Baby Peach first appeared in a non-Yoshi game and Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina were made up whole cloth for the Kart games) :yoshi:

BZocky

Smash Ace
In the Pac Man mario kart arcade games developed by Bamco there was a track or two based on Diamond City from WarioWare with references to characters within the series to boot. It'd be really cool if Wario's universe was explored at all within in-house spinoffs, tons of colorful personalities and locales that would work great in your Mario Karts, Mario Parties, not to mention beyond.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I mean, even Wario games don’t reference old Wario games these days, but I still agree. I feel like Mario Spin-offs in general have been a lot more limited in what they reference recently, like compare how many Sunshine inspired tracks there were in Double Dash to the amount of Mario Galaxy content in... ANY Mario spin-off since it came out.
Yeah, I was just thinking about how the Mario franchise could pay homage to its history with Kart, Party, Sports etc in the same way Smash does to Nintendo/video game history for a good few months now. It's so rich with games as distinct as Sunshine, Wario Land, Paper Mario and Donkey Kong Country all existing under the same umbrella yet they seem to just be in their own vacuum at times. Like, I wouldn't say they need to cram references to every game in the greater Mario universe in every single spin-off they make, but wouldn't it be so nice to have characters pulled from them more often than just putting Mario and Peach again but with a different coat of paint?

Oddly enough, Yoshi references are not as prevalent either. Think of any "Yoshi" track and you'll realize they don't represent the colorbook aesthetic of any of the Yoshi's Island games. Poochy only appeared in a brief (and I mean B R I E F) cameo in Double Dash, Baby Bowser is missing, almost no enemies original started in Yoshi games appear and hell, not even KAMEK shows up. The only real reference are the Baby racers (and even then, Baby Peach first appeared in a non-Yoshi game and Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina were made up whole cloth for the Kart games) :yoshi:
Ayy, but Poochy also had a minor presence in Odyssey, so clearly that sub-series is perfectly represented in Mario games. :4pacman:

For real though, you do raise a good point. I usually just see a Yoshi themed track or whatever in spin-offs and think his series is represented well enough, when really, most of them are not related to his actual games in any way. I guess just the fact that they have even a smidge of presence is more than what can be said about the Mario RPGs and Wario Land/Ware

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The main takeaway from this comment is Kamek isn't in Mario Kart yet and that makes me sad.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, what if we get Geno, but he functioned differently...

As one part of a tag team character with Mallow being the other part of the team? How would you all react?

link2702

Smash Champion
ouch...that hurt..... "old codger" even if it was just in jest pointing out that it's not just late 80s/early 90s kids who want Geno in smash.

:( *realizes once again i'm 31 and it's all down hill from here*

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Hey guys, what if we get Geno, but he functioned differently...

As one part of a tag team character with Mallow being the other part of the team? How would you all react?
Ehhh, not so well to be blunt. I'd still be happy we got the both of them, but they have way too much potential for being individual characters to just be relegated to a duo imo

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Anyways my theory for why the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario characters haven't made their way to other games is either they don't fit with the main Mario artstyle or there's some "these aren't our characters" bias going on behind the scenes, since they're made by developers outside of the main Mario devs.

That didn't stop me from drawing out how some of these could look if translated to the main Mario artstyle tho. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Anyways my theory for why the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario characters haven't made their way to other games is either they don't fit with the main Mario artstyle or there's some "these aren't our characters" bias going on behind the scenes, since they're made by developers outside of the main Mario devs.
Yeah, only TRUE Mario characters made by Nintendo are allowed, like Waluig-- oh wait

Also if that's the case, still waiting on E. Gadd and Kamek :yoshi:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
It almost feels like a cycle of some sort. Circular reasoning.
Side characters end up not getting love from Nintendo because they're not as popular or well known as some other characters, and they aren't as popular or well known because Nintendo doesn't use them. There's probably more to it than that, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure does feel like it sometimes.
Either way, it's such a shame, since it feels like there's some real potential in using Mario RPG characters more often. At the very least, we'd get more variety, even if it were in as something as simple as Mario kart.
Just my two cents at least.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i wish to elaborate my own words for the topic of nintendo not using other mario characters in their games but my head is a little tired from being on the computer so long waiting for friends to respond and drowning myself in craptube from my brother watching "Joker"

but i can say this, i do wish nintendo can listen to fans and use characters not own by them that are apart of the mario series rather than throwing in different iterations of Mario, Peach, and Enemies such as Shy Guy.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Update: I’ve now seen the first episode of Green Eggs and Ham

How did they make a show based off of Green Eggs and Ham so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom