• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

SMRPG is a game from the last years of the SNES and it shows in a good way.

The gameplay is quite polished for the standards of the time, the DKC approach works completely well and the dialog and character design is full on creative at its finest.

It is probably one of my favourite games from the whole SNES Classic package alongside Super Metroid and Kirby Super Star.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has NO attachment to Geno or SMRPG whatsoever, I'll tell you why I want him:

Great character design.
Awesome moveset potential.
People want him.

The passion of the Geno community is what won me over. I'm a sucker for an underdog story.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's kind of hard to imagine someone loving the adventure of Super Mario RPG and going through the whole journey and not understanding the love for Geno, but I guess they're out there.

For me, Geno is such a mysterious character who, like an angel of light, descends on a doll that comes to life and goes out of his way to make sure all the dreams and wishes of the people who live on the earth come true. He's very determined to accomplish his goal, even if there's no major reward for his actions. He's quite selfless to go out of his way in making sure the stars are returned to their proper place and the world is safe from Smithy even if it is his job. He's like the Mario equivalent of the old west hero who shows up out of nowhere and saves the town and rides off into the sunset. I feel like the mystery of his character leaves me wanting to know more about him, and it's sad to have to say goodbye after sharing all the wonderful memories with him when you're riding along for the journey. It's a bittersweet moment watching him leave at the end of Mario RPG, one that felt pretty deep for a Mario title that came out in the mid-90's so it gave some of us a weight of emotions for wanting to see this legendary hero appear - at least one more time, before disappearing into the pages of gaming history.
I agree and, even at the age of 8, I got that Geno more or less died at the end of SMRPG. Yes, he's actually a spirit but it was very clear that his duty was done and that, from a narrative standpoint, there really wasn't a reason for him to ever come back ever again. That's super heavy for a kid to digest and in a ****ing Mario game no less that was basically the first Mario game to have a real narrative and plot. Of course all of us that got attached to him were floored, especially since the Mario series didn't exactly have a rotating door of characters then and even now Nintendo usually tries to make fan favorites staples or at least cameos in future games. "Goodbye Geno" really meant Goodbye, Geno and a big reason why many people consider it one of the most memorable not only Mario game endings but Nintendo game endings period.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
So I'm 33 years old and Mario RPG was one of my favorite games growing up. This game was one of the best games on the SNES (along with Link To The Past, Mario World etc.) VERY VERY good game............................... but I have to be 100% honest I have NO IDEA why Geno is such a requested character. I literally couldn't not care less about him.

He has ONLY been in ONE mario game (albeit a great game) and imho does not deserve smash roster status... I mean why not put Smithy in then?? He's the main villain. Or Mallow or even Croco? If Geno was in 3 or 4 games I'd say yeah but we have WAAAAAAAAY enough mario reps in smash. I'd prefer basically ANY other character over him. Like Lloyd Irving for example. There isn't a single tales character in this game and if we're talking about rpg characters... I'd MUCH rather have one from Tales than ANOTHER mario rep.

Just don't get it.
My reason for supporting Geno for Smash is probably the same as a good portion of his fanbase. Even though the SNES was just a couple years before my time, I was able to play SMRPG as a child. It was my favorite game as a kid, mostly because of the humor and the game mechanics. Now it's still in my top 5 favorite games and I recommend it to everyone I can.

I started getting into Smash speculation when Smash4 was announced. I started looking at character wishlists and I was surprised to find that Geno had a really good following. It seemed like this best way to bring SMRPG back into the mainstream, so Geno became my most wanted character for Smash.

Now if you're asking why Geno specifically, it's really just because he had the best following. The original people backing him for Smash back in Melee probably picked him because he's the coolest character in the game. Like if things were different and people were original pushing for Mallow or Smithy back then, I would be wanting them instead of Geno. My main thing is to try to get more people to learn about SMRPG and for Nintendo to do something more with that world.

I understand people not seeing Geno as being "deserving" to be in Smash compared to other characters. I think SMRPG had a big enough impact on gaming, specifically RPGs on the west, to justify his inclusion but I can see how people can argue against that. Really the main reason he's deserving is because enough people want him in Smash, which I guess could be considered "hype". But now I think what's "deserving" to be in Smash has changed so much with inclusions like Corrine and Incineroar that I don't think we should really care if a character is deserving or not anymore.

Firox

Smash Master
I agree and, even at the age of 8, I got that Geno more or less died at the end of SMRPG. Yes, he's actually a spirit but it was very clear that his duty was done and that, from a narrative standpoint, there really wasn't a reason for him to ever come back ever again. That's super heavy for a kid to digest and in a ****ing Mario game no less that was basically the first Mario game to have a real narrative and plot. Of course all of us that got attached to him were floored, especially since the Mario series didn't exactly have a rotating door of characters then and even now Nintendo usually tries to make fan favorites staples or at least cameos in future games. "Goodbye Geno" really meant Goodbye, Geno and a big reason why many people consider it one of the most memorable not only Mario game endings but Nintendo game endings period.
Damn, when you put it THAT way......*sniff*....I'm NOT crying....I'm not...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I always wanted to express how I felt about Geno's goodbye at the end and, while I did describe my view on it aptly, this is another angle on things that I kinda... knew, but didn't know how to word properly.

My heart hurts.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I think an important thing to remember about SMRPG is the state of the Mario franchise when it first came out. Super Mario 64 wasn’t out yet, so our only idea of Mario’s world was basically what we saw while running from left to right. Yeah we had the cartoons but from the games we didn’t have any idea of, for example, what Bowser was like. What was Princess Peach like and why did Bowser keep kidnapping her besides for the purpose of making a new game happen? And then Super Mario RPG comes out and suddenly it’s like the Mushroom Kingdom is a place. Mario has a house and something of a personality (he’s a great story teller but he also once almost assaulted a child). Bowser was given the persona that’s endured basically all the way till today (“I’m the biggest, baddest brute around and don’t you forget it!” is basically the most Bowser quote ever aside from “DID SOMEONE JUST PAGE THE KING OF AWESOME?”). The mushroom kingdom is populated by Toads of all shapes and sizes, Yoshi Island has a population and the one vaguely antagonistic Yoshi in the entire series.
I think I’m rambling at this point but Super Mario RPG set the tone and feel of the Mushroom Kingdom basically forever. The same humor we see in Mario & Luigi is in SMRPG. Smithy is as big and bad as Cackletta and Grodus and everyone afterward. And then, in the center of this series defining game, is a character unlike any other in the series. He’s cute and funny but also badass, he’s this symbol of awesomeness to everyone who played the game as a kid. He’s an angel possessing a doll that’s made out of guns, and it‘s clear that he’s resonated with so many of us since we’re still talking about him to this day.

I don’t know where I’m going with this. Super Mario RPG is fantastic and Geno is super cool and should be in Smash. There, done.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think an important thing to remember about SMRPG is the state of the Mario franchise when it first came out. Super Mario 64 wasn’t out yet, so our only idea of Mario’s world was basically what we saw while running from left to right. Yeah we had the cartoons but from the games we didn’t have any idea of, for example, what Bowser was like. What was Princess Peach like and why did Bowser keep kidnapping her besides for the purpose of making a new game happen? And then Super Mario RPG comes out and suddenly it’s like the Mushroom Kingdom is a place. Mario has a house and something of a personality (he’s a great story teller but he also once almost assaulted a child). Bowser was given the persona that’s endured basically all the way till today (“I’m the biggest, baddest brute around and don’t you forget it!” is basically the most Bowser quote ever aside from “DID SOMEONE JUST PAGE THE KING OF AWESOME?”). The mushroom kingdom is populated by Toads of all shapes and sizes, Yoshi Island has a population and the one vaguely antagonistic Yoshi in the entire series.
I think I’m rambling at this point but Super Mario RPG set the tone and feel of the Mushroom Kingdom basically forever. The same humor we see in Mario & Luigi is in SMRPG. Smithy is as big and bad as Cackletta and Grodus and everyone afterward. And then, in the center of this series defining game, is a character unlike any other in the series. He’s cute and funny but also badass, he’s this symbol of awesomeness to everyone who played the game as a kid. He’s an angel possessing a doll that’s made out of guns, and it‘s clear that he’s resonated with so many of us since we’re still talking about him to this day.

I don’t know where I’m going with this. Super Mario RPG is fantastic and Geno is super cool and should be in Smash. There, done.

Holy moly, that is a passage that every Geno hater/denier should hear. That was....beautiful.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I completely agree with you! That music is so fitting with Geno leaving. I hope that if he returns in Smash, his "Goodbye Geno" song will return with his entrance as a star entering the doll once again. Man, that would give me the chills, goosebumps and it will be so emotional.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I'm going to get super heavy and I apologise in advance for anyone reading this but I wanted to just go ahead and dive into the biggest reason I'm a Geno fan:

As many of you know, I have ADHD so let's just be brief in saying it has caused some "behavior issues." I can be excitable, impulsive, and just generally weird. I'm almost 32 and, as you all have seen, these things still get me in trouble from time to time. An ongoing message for most of my childhood was "it's not okay to be weird" so I honestly just felt like a monster most of the time and that I didn't belong anywhere. Jack Skellington was the first adult I saw that had my personality but people loved him. He had a whole town that let him be as weird and creative as he wanted to be. I envied that so hard...

Years pass and SMRPG comes. Again, right off the bat, super weird but then somethings happen in the story. Mario's a spastic ****ing goof and yet he's still the hero. He does all this weird stuff and over the top actions but everyone still respects and listen to him. They still like him. W..why can't people be like that for me? Mallow, Bowser, and Peach all have big emotions in this game and weird behavior but nobody makes a huge stink about it. When Mallow cries, people try to comfort him. When Bowser's fuming, even Mario tries to calm him down in an equally calm way. People didn't treat me like that. People had short fuses with me. Few people had patience with me. I remember one episode where a babysitter's boyfriend literally threw me at a sliding glass door and the babysitter just laughed. I was being weird... I deserved it...

Later on, Geno comes into the game. He's very obviously out of place and people comment on this throughout the game. He's weird but nobody nags him for it. He's different but Mario and Mallow accept him immediately. Geno was kind of quiet and methodical and I immediately saw myself in him. "Wow, ha ha, I'm in a Mario game" thought 8 year old me and I'm going on this crazy adventure with my favorite video game character (Mario) and people like me. People note I'm different and weird but they still like me and want to have me around. Geno was what childhood me wished I was, cool and confident and comfortable enough in my own skin (er... wood) to just be myself and be happy with who I was.

To some degree it worked. I enjoyed playing as Geno on the playground and there was one occasion where I "saved" a kid from being beat up by two classmates because I pretended to be Geno (although they were probably just weirded out). Yadda yadda yadda. Beat the game. Emotionally devastating ending for 8 year old me. Have wanted to see Geno come back in a meaningful way ever since.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Holy moly, that is a passage that every Geno hater/denier should hear. That was....beautiful.
Thank you. I have a tendency to get excited when I talk about things I really like and I usually end up either rambling nonsense or receding from embarrassment, so I’m glad you and other people liked it :)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Geno has that Boba Fett effect going on. He's not really that important, he's not really that prevalent, but he's got a good design, and ****, he's just cool.

That's the foundation of most of his support, frankly. If it revolved more around SMRPG content and representation, you'd see a comparable contingent for Mallow.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So I'm going to get super heavy and I apologise in advance for anyone reading this but I wanted to just go ahead and dive into the biggest reason I'm a Geno fan:

As many of you know, I have ADHD so let's just be brief in saying it has caused some "behavior issues." I can be excitable, impulsive, and just generally weird. I'm almost 32 and, as you all have seen, these things still get me in trouble from time to time. An ongoing message for most of my childhood was "it's not okay to be weird" so I honestly just felt like a monster most of the time and that I didn't belong anywhere. Jack Skellington was the first adult I saw that had my personality but people loved him. He had a whole town that let him be as weird and creative as he wanted to be. I envied that so hard...

Years pass and SMRPG comes. Again, right off the bat, super weird but then somethings happen in the story. Mario's a spastic ****ing goof and yet he's still the hero. He does all this weird stuff and over the top actions but everyone still respects and listen to him. They still like him. W..why can't people be like that for me? Mallow, Bowser, and Peach all have big emotions in this game and weird behavior but nobody makes a huge stink about it. When Mallow cries, people try to comfort him. When Bowser's fuming, even Mario tries to calm him down in an equally calm way. People didn't treat me like that. People had short fuses with me. Few people had patience with me. I remember one episode where a babysitter's boyfriend literally threw me at a sliding glass door and the babysitter just laughed. I was being weird... I deserved it...

Later on, Geno comes into the game. He's very obviously out of place and people comment on this throughout the game. He's weird but nobody nags him for it. He's different but Mario and Mallow accept him immediately. Geno was kind of quiet and methodical and I immediately saw myself in him. "Wow, ha ha, I'm in a Mario game" thought 8 year old me and I'm going on this crazy adventure with my favorite video game character (Mario) and people like me. People note I'm different and weird but they still like me and want to have me around. Geno was what childhood me wished I was, cool and confident and comfortable enough in my own skin (er... wood) to just be myself and be happy with who I was.

To some degree it worked. I enjoyed playing as Geno on the playground and there was one occasion where I "saved" a kid from being beat up by two classmates because I pretended to be Geno (although they were probably just weirded out). Yadda yadda yadda. Beat the game. Emotionally devastating ending for 8 year old me. Have wanted to see Geno come back in a meaningful way ever since.
That was meaningful, i had trouble socializing with people when i was young too. the media was always something i go to during those times, thanks for sharing us this fatmice.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
A few points:

2. "Couldn't not care less" means that you do care?
4. Mario is the best selling video game franchise of all time and is Nintendo's mascot, so it deserves the amount of reps it has and then some. Now Fire Emblem, that's a franchise that has too many reps.
5. Well, I'd MUCH rather have Geno than ANOTHER generic anime swordsman. But honestly, I think both are getting in and it's not like this is a Steve vs Banjo situation. Geno and Lloyd don't really have any direct competition with each other since they're from separate companies and series.
2. Yes English is hard :D
4. I believe Mario has just the perfect amount of reps (all the very notable ones except for maybe waluigi - which I'd say deserves a spot over Geno) are in. Also, Fire Emblem DEF has too many reps, I agree.
5. And I get the hate for swordies. The 5 frillion Fire Emblem reps really did them a HUGE disservice. Personally I'd be ok with TWO FE reps, the Links, Cloud, and Lloyd on the swords.

Yes I like Lloyd but he's really not the reason I'm even on this thread. Just trying to understand why Geno has so much hype.

Oh and RingJ5 RingJ5 , your comment about Cloud is understandable given he was released on PS but it was one of the most epic FF games (probably THE most epic) of all time. He's also been in a few sequels. Not saying I really care for his move-set in smash but I'd say he "deserves" a spot. One I haven't really mentioned is Shulk... I literally know NOTHING about his game so I couldn't care less about that swordie.

Reminder to not take bait or pander to people who are coming into the thread in bad faith just desperate for attention. Several pages of people going over the same points trying to convince someone of something they already said they don't want is kind of pointless after awhile.

Who do you think Geno would main if he played SSBU?
Lol, nice projection mate. I'm clearly NOT on the Geno train so I haven't kept up with the character but very recently noticed a lot of attention given to him... I legit wanted to know. Gratz though, Datboigeno Datboigeno , for being the second person to make my "ignore" list. Also, flaming people and saying they're trying to "bait you" doesn't help make your case.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can't say I have some big story about why I like Geno, but I joined Geno support because so many people wanted Geno. And before long, I was one of those people who wanted him more than any other character, because he's just that cool and endearing.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
I completely understand the lack of hype around him from people who just... don't get it. I think you'll find my input interesting at this point, given I loved SMRPG but HATED Geno for how overrated he was. Like, I absolutely couldn't stand him, yet now, I'm one of the biggest Geno fans in my friend circle.

I feel it all boils down to how personal a character becomes to people, and by way of his design and concept, people were able to forge their own reasons for becoming fond of the character. Some people find that, some people don't — and that's okay. Personally, I thought his potential was woefully understated. His design is adorable, and from an artist's perspective (and goodness knows I am knee-deep into the intricacies of art and design), it checked all of the marks of what to do with character creation. His colors are very complimentary and pleasing to the eye, anchored by the brown that ties everything together. His shapes, as used in character design, work for the kind of character he is. He has a lot of round shapes, generally signifying a soft and friendly vibe, but he also features many triangles in his design, signifying something more 'cool' and 'strong'.

His personality has a lot of potential that was hugely squandered, and I'd blame bad writing for that. You can see the hints of something there. He jumps for joy when he possesses the doll, laughs at Mario and Mallow's confusion over his existence, and laughs at Bowser after persuading him to remain as an ally. Like the other party members, he is capable of dancing around in Bowser's Keep on the chandeliers. He's able to cheer Mario on during the game. Those last two aren't character-exclusive, yes, but it does give us a little more to work with. He's also great with children, as seen in the way he treats Gaz. We can surmise that he is a very kind and sweet character, as well as a jovial sort.

Geno is also... kind of a massive dork. He spouts 90's slang like nobody's business, literally giving his whole higher authority soliloquy seconds before shouting at Bowyer to 'chill out'. The way he yells out, "YO, SMITHY!" when in the final freaking battle, the most harrowing of them all, is beyond hilarious to me. He isn't giving some super serious speech or acting like a 'badass'. Just... YO, SMITHY? Holy crap, that screams dork. He runs into a wall when you first see him possess the doll. His facial expressions are a laugh and a half. He's soooo expressive, it's not even funny.

He's very adamant about doing his job, too, to the point that his Belome clone can only, ONLY think of the star pieces. Belome clones show themselves to be exaggerated caricatures, yeah, but it does go a long way to show Geno's dedication. He even gets fuming angry at Mario, SUPER HUFFY AND PUFFY (the sprite is so funny rofl), if he tries to leave Star Hill without the star piece in the area. It's gold. Despite all of this, it's clear that he's had some kind of development from this. With how ambitious he is about his job, you'd think he'd be ready to blaze through the cosmos and get back home ASAP... yet in Smithy's Lair, he shows reluctance to. For the first and last time in your journey, Geno doesn't seem like he wants to finish his mission. He doesn't want to leave his new friends... yet he pushes through and does the responsible thing anyway.

That last bit is incredibly powerful, in my opinion, and probably the best moment of his character. The one most determined to see their mission come to a close... now doesn't seem so gung-ho about doing so. He went from focusing on his mission and ONLY his mission to wanting to be with his friends. It could have been so much more powerful if he was written better and given more screen time, but alas, Square didn't do so.

A more minor thing, but he also cowers when it seems like his life is about to be snuffed out by Bowyer. That's the one time (aside from status effects) that we see Geno genuinely afraid for his life. I wish we could have gotten some expansion on that.

Basically, how I see it is... I see more in Geno than what we got. I wish we could have gotten more. I'd love to see him in a new RPG again, but I doubt it'll happen. A Smash inclusion would lend well to SMRPG's legacy, being the first Mario RPG to inspire the lines of others we got in the future. Geno's farewell was impactful for a lot of people, myself included, and it makes us want even more to see him reunite with his friends, with us. When he expressed such sadness at the idea of leaving them behind, I thought, "Geno does so much for granting other peoples' wishes. I want his wish to be with his buddies to come true, too." He's granted so many wishes for other people, chances are, so... why not let him have his wish finally come to pass?

If we see Geno in Smash, I feel like he'll really be able to live on in the hearts of gamers in so many ways. I could see so much coming from his potential for decades to come, even if not from Nintendo and Square themselves. He'll have his reunion with his friends. Our wishes will be granted and, in turn, so will his. I've crafted a lot of lore of my own personal interpretation of Geno, and I've just forged a love for the character that is so specially and uniquely mine. I will admit that it means my adoration and desires for Geno in Smash, 'deserving' or not, comes from a place of sentimentality and bias... but I can promise that it is entirely genuine and heartfelt. I can't expect anyone else to feel and think the same way, so if you don't and never will, that's perfectly fine. I just hope this kinda gives you more of a perspective as to why someone might want to witness his return, coming from someone who couldn't give a hoot about Geno until revisiting him as a character and making what she could of him.

100% second this, even down to the... unfortunate suicidal implications. I'm not gonna beat around the bush: I'm mentally ****ed up five ways to Sunday. I've always been an outcast with mental problems that only served to destroy my emotional state, and I'm a survivor of abuse, just to top it all off. It's left a lot of mental scarring, and Geno, crafting lore and personality for him, and SMRPG as a whole got me through a very tough patch in my life. It does serve to help make him feel that much more sentimental of a character to me.

There's also one more thing to compound that even further: The Mario RPGs were one of the ways I bonded with one of the closest family members I had, my late grandfather... so... yeah, that... whoof.
So I LOVED SMRPG as a kid. I would have been 10 when this game was released and personally I didn't care for Geno either. I practically NEVER used him in my party but unlike you I never went the other direction. I just stayed kinda "meh" about him. Very good post though.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I also feel like Geno is the perfect representation of the strange mix of Final Fantasy and Mario vibes that was SMRPG. He's done well in the cartoony style that's a staple of Super Mario while also being a fantastical wooden puppet that's controlled by a star spirit, with some steampunk ideas mixed in for extra bad ass points.
*sees current situation of thread*

I’ll be back later.
Idk bruh we just out here lovin' Geno.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

I appreciate you opening up like that. That reminds me of when I was in elementary school and I was quiet and didn't really connect to anyone. Every day in the playground, I would pretend I was hero and pretended to fly around, shoot beams, etc and created my own stories in my head. I must have looked crazy lol.

As for my personal connection with SMRPG, I played a little bit of Legend of the Seven Stars, but unfortunately I'm not a big fan of RPGs, especially older ones because I find them convoluted and hard. With that said, Geno has been in the back of my mind ever since the buildup to Smash Ultimate. I heard of him during Smash 4, but I didn't think he had a shot. My interest in him grew a lot thanks to the Grinch leak. At the time I heard Sakurai wanted Geno in the past and he seemed like a character that Sakurai would add. Even after the Grinch leak died, I still had interest in him. I did some research and he does seem like a cool and even relatable character. Now, I really started supporting him when his Mii costume didn't come with Hero. I was so sure he was dead, but here we are with no Geno costume in sight and still no definitive evidence that spirits deconfirm characters. Some of my friends don't believe spirits will become playable, and I want to say that maybe certain characters like Geno were added as spirits because Sakurai wasn't sure if he was going to create more characters after the fighters pass. The spirits thing just seems like a fan rule and Sakurai has broken many fan rules before. It doesn't matter, if Sakurai wants something done, he will make it happen.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Considering the amount of **** we as a fanbase got and are still getting because a few Geno supporters called Terry a literally who on social media I can only imagine the backlash we would get if people from this thread regularly went to other character specific threads and questioned why people wanted Reimu, Isaac, Agumon, etc. in Smash while also saying we would prefer Geno over them. Or even trying to temper their expectations that they don't get too hype or reminding them that they are a part of the Smash Bubble and their desires might not line up with the hypothetical silent majority. But it's somehow "understandable" because Geno was in only one game or wasn't the title character despite so many other requested characters filling that description. I think it's great that people are sharing their reasons for wanting Geno in Smash and why their caring for the character has been sustained for decades at times but the blatant hypocrisy is just wild to me. We shouldn't really have to defend why we like our character more than anyone else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'know I don't have as big of a backstory or history with Geno as others here do but I just can't help but love the little dude for a multitude of reasons:

1) His Design is just so ****ing cool. He's a star-possessed doll who has guns in every corner of his body and is basically a swiss-army knife/doll

2) His personality and story has so much potential if he were to just get a focus of another Mario game he could very easily have one of the most standout-ish personalities and characters which is saying something since he's already in a franchise with a lot of standout characters

3) Super Mario RPG is simply one of my favorite games ever with it being a contender for my number #1 spot alongside Mother 3

4) Geno is this huge legacy fan-favorite character and Smash Ultimate is the Smash game to make big legacy fan-favorite characters happen so I would love to see him get in to round out that cast of characters and complete it to it's highest and most realizable potential (I say realizable because Isaac isn't happening.. RIP :confused:)

and so on so forth I just think he makes sense to be in Smash and I want the dude in Smash. He's so ****ing cool!

Also to go off of how I found out about Geno I just found that old Rawest Forest/Waltz of the Forest animation from like 06/07/08 then later on I played Super Mario RPG so as I said I don't have much of a legacy behind me wanting Geno but oh boy do I want Geno he'd be great.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hello! I'm here again.

So there has been yet another argument going on about why people want Geno.

Well if you ask me, He just looks cool, has a sleek blue cape and hat, fire bullets out of his finger, can shoot his arm off, hides a cannon inside his arm and can also transform into a cannon.

I have no personal attachment to him and did not grow up playing Super Mario RPG until it came out for the Wii virtual console. I had lots of fun playing the game.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Let's look at how many characters are in Smash that have had only one major appearance in gaming history PRIOR to their inclusion:

-Pit
-Palutena
Quick nitpick: there was a game boy sequel to Kid Icarus that everyone forgets about.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
When it comes to liking Geno, I'm a person who definitely gauges my interest in a character based on their appearance first, then everything else second. I'm a visual-oriented person, so what I see is what impacts me more than anything else. I am very much a book-cover judger, lol. At first, Geno's design is basically Pinocchio in a magician's outfit... which may not be all that interesting to some people. But there's more to it than that. It's one thing for a character to appear as who they are, Mario always goes with his red hat and overalls, Cloud wears a SOLDIER-1st Class Uniform, Joker wears the outfit that expresses his inner rebellion, and Mega Man wears the chassis that was given to him to combat against Dr. Wily. Each character has a reason to wear what they wear, or look the way they look.

But here's what makes Geno interesting compared to everyone else: the form he takes before Mario, Mallow, Peach, Bowser, the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom, and the Smithy Gang... isn't at all what he truly looks like. He takes the form of a doll that doesn't at all define him. He willingly chooses a form with a face that isn't his own, and in no way resembles him. He only chose the doll because it looked the toughest. He even took the name of the doll, Geno. He didn't consider himself so important of a figure in the grand equation that he would continue going by his own legitimate name. He wore the doll's name because he figured his own name wouldn't matter all that much when everything was said and done and he's also considerate of others to the point of using the doll's name because he believes his own name is difficult to say. (I've met people in real life who have hard-to-say names that opt for simplified names so people can speak to them more easily.)

With every character in Smash, when you see them and how they look, you know that's who and how they are. With Geno, what you see is NOT what you get. How he looks isn't who he is; it's merely how he's willing to appear as. He's not a super powered action figure, he's a Star-Person borrowing a weaponized mech-suit. Despite this, he's content with not being remembered as his true form. He's perfectly content with being remembered as the doll he took the shape of. That says a lot about his character, and it makes his appearance far more interesting than at first glance.

Also, he's a frickin' Gun Mage whose body is the GUN.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I agree with you all. Geno supporters shouldn't have to explain why they want the character more than others. Someone on here posted a little while ago that people on 4chan or some other place didn't want Geno because he was irrelevant, yet their most wanted character was Chrono. I want other characters like Phoenix Wright and Doom Slayer, but I'm not going to belittle other people for their wanted characters to make my choices seem better. That is childish. If Geno gets in and none of my ridiculous amount of like 20 characters I want doesn't get in, that's fine. I already got some of my most wanted characters like Simon. And Sakurai already gave us so much.
That turned into a bit of a rant, huh? Point is, respect others.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I haven't posted in a while, but I gotta say, reading all these stories and impressions about Geno have made me feel pretty emotional. I think I have a newfound appreciation for him, just seeing all this support...

As for me, I don't have a huge story on why I want him, but I've always just thought he's a pretty awesome character, ever since I first played SMRPG when I was younger. From even simple things as his design, to his abilities, his role in the story, I grew to really like him. I guess that is all there is to me "wanting" him in, haha. I just really like him.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So the current thread discussion stemmed from someone asking us why we want Geno so bad, and instead of dog piling and spitting vile garbage like most places on the internet would, we turned it into this beautiful thing of us all just pouring our hearts out about why we love this character so much. I just think that’s a truly wonderful thing.

D

Deleted member

It makes me feel like I was weird kid to read how people had an emotional reaction to Geno's departure back when they were young and I just kinda didn't. The sad stuff in movies or books never really got to me. I was probably around eight years old when I first finished Mario RPG and Geno leaving just felt like the conclusion of the story. His job was done, of course he was going to go back where he belonged. I guess I kind of figured that he was the sort of guy who'd show up when he was needed, so if something bad happened, he'd show up and I'd see him again, probably in Super Mario RPG 2 whenever that happened...

I guess I'm a little more in touch with my emotions now. Aside from specific tracks in Mother 3, there's only one other piece of video game music that makes me have to choke back tears, and it's Goodbye, Geno. I'm going to have to really fight to keep myself composed when he's announced, so that song better stay the hell away from his reveal trailer.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
... I’m not crying, you are! My eyes are just... sweating!

All these stories people are sharing are truly heartwarming, I wish I had an equally as interesting reason behind why I like Geno so much but mine’s relatively simple.

Geno symbolizes not just Super Mario RPG, but all of the Mario RPGS for me. All of these games have left such a lasting impact on my life, and have probably walked with me through all stages of my life. To get Geno in Smash would be a culmination of it all: A tribute to the old Square and Nintendo relationship, a reminder of what came after (i.e Paper Mario), and a thank you to AlphaDream, since a lot of the devs who worked on SMRPG moved over to AlphaDream and made the Mario and Luigi Games.

D

Deleted member

I just got the news that my friend from Madrid lost his grandmother at 4pm while she was watching TV.

I'm considering the idea of taking a small hiatus from the site until I overcome the news.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Odd, we have more in common than I thought. Not only did we both like ADHD, but we both had ADHD, which caused us behavioral problems, and we both had depression and suicidal thoughts. Not to mention, I am almost 32 years old as well. Huh...

Firox

Smash Master
So the current thread discussion stemmed from someone asking us why we want Geno so bad, and instead of dog piling and spitting vile garbage like most places on the internet would, we turned it into this beautiful thing of us all just pouring our hearts out about why we love this character so much. I just think that’s a truly wonderful thing.
Not only that, we actually converted some bystanders along the way. Hooray for positivity!

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Oh and RingJ5 RingJ5 , your comment about Cloud is understandable given he was released on PS but it was one of the most epic FF games (probably THE most epic) of all time. He's also been in a few sequels. Not saying I really care for his move-set in smash but I'd say he "deserves" a spot. One I haven't really mentioned is Shulk... I literally know NOTHING about his game so I couldn't care less about that swordie.
But... that wasn’t the point being made. You specifically brought up Cloud in reference to someone saying that Geno would represent Nintendo and Square’s fruitful SNES-era partnership, which Cloud isn’t applicable to at all.

Also, incidentally, Shulk is a great example of a character that got into Smash off of one game.

D

Deleted member

I just got the news that my friend from Madrid lost his grandmother at 4pm while she was watching TV.

I'm considering the idea of taking a small hiatus from the site until I overcome the news.
Sorry to hear that dude take as long of a break as you need. The site and it's users will be here for you when you're back.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Sorry to hear that. Even though you have my support, take as much time as you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom