• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

This hurts, this honestly hurts. There's so much that DOES make the leak credible, but at the same time.. I know it has a high chance of it being fake. That feeling of "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't"
It's not like I want this leak to be fake, but I don't want to look like a laughing-stock if it does turn out that way.
A laughing stock? Like we as a Geno fanbase aren't already a laughing stock? Like Geno isn't the new Ridley in terms of "this is how you know the leak is fake"? Like we're not the subject of irrational hatred on every popular video game message board? There's no reason to be concerned by stuff like that. I live every day knowing that what I say or do is probably going to become the subject of some kind of joke in the future, I'm the kind of loose cannon who can't avoid something like that. I mean, just yesterday, I made myself look like a clown when I proudly cracked open a can of Monster Zero Ultra and said Falchion could break in the original game. Whatever, if anyone notices it and has a laugh at my ineptitude... Eh. I'm not even a huge Fire Emblem fan, just a Sacred Stones fan. Someone having a laugh at your expense, either maliciously or because they hope you'll laugh with them, is a part of life. The best anyone can do, especially those of us with varying levels of social anxiety, is to learn to laugh with everyone, haters included.

I have a love/hate relationship with insiders. I hate how smug they can be sometimes, just because they know something we don't. I hate being in the dark on things, I'm a very nosy person and I'd like to know every bit of detail I can about a situation. But after last year, I know they're right most if not all the time.

That's why I'm adamant on remaining neutral. I'm sorry for beating the bush over and over, but what else can I do?

If it's fake, it's fine, we can move on.
If it's real, I'm freaking out.
Honestly, from the Grinch era, I think the most "smug" insiders would be the GameXplain guys. Sabi can be a real ****head as they have proven in the past few months, but has only come off as smug once or twice, and Vergeben isn't as smug as they are just coattail riders... but GameXplain... I've already written them off as undesirable human beings. Not to say that what they have to say isn't valid, but I don't give them clicks anymore. It's been discussed in here and unless Fatman was speculating based on his connections, there's absolutely no doubt that our theories around the Grinch leak were right: GameXplain, being in Nintendo's pocket, was told to not cover the Grinch leak, but not for the reason that most of team real (and even some of team fake) concluded: there was no coverup as much as it was a very ass-backwards attempt at trying not to get people's hopes up.

Knowing that, the fact that GameXplain covered this leak basically on day one means one or more of several things:
Nintendo learned their lesson and won't stop GameXplain from covering leaks because it raises suspicions. This is unlikely, as Nintendo has never learned anything.
The leak is real and Nintendo has told GameXplain to play it down.
The leak is fake and GameXplain is once again doing a terrible job of non-specifically saying why they know that for a fact (literally as easy as "our contacts at Nintendo who have never been wrong told us it's fake").

There's tons of arguments for and against the Mallowdemon leak. I've gone, with no shame, from heavily real to borderline fake on it, just because of the mysterious circumstance of it going from modders saying "damn that's impossible" to other modders crawling out of the woodwork to say "maybe but check this out", and every time, someone accomplishes something more and more halfway there. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that someone out there has the technology to pull all of this off, and that fact hasn't changed from the first day of the leak, it's only gotten a little more likely. The texture "quality" is really the leg it's standing on now, and I don't trust that since, as I've brought up before, "quality" in a picture of a monitor is already suspect. It's the same trick the Grinch leak used - take a bad picture and your quality being garbage doesn't matter anymore. I think the only other leg it has, which is definitely a bum leg if there's ever been one, is that most insiders are either with the rest of us in wondering if it's real, with only a firm denial from GameXplain (who aren't really trustworthy) and Sabi's big source who knows #5, and despite the confusion around that, all he was able to confirm was that these costumes aren't for #5.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
That's valid. ..But that wording kinda makes the guy seem like some sort of eldritch conceptual being.
Who's to say he's not?
Have you ever seen fatman and azathoth in the same room? I didn't think so

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I suppose I wouldn't mind if I understood the reference more.
I suppose it's only vaguely related to what you do, anyway. Sun Wukong, after causing a ton of chaos on earth, is invited to heaven and believes that he'll be awarded an honorable divine rank as one of the gods, but is instead given the title 'Keeper of the Heavenly Horses', and essentially just becomes the stableboy. Eventually, he decides to let all of the divine horses escape, and in the process gains the automatic respect of all horses, divine or otherwise.

I know you aren't a leaker and speculate for fun, but I suppose it's more that you seem to come off as a 'middleman for the middleman', hence someone associated with the gods/insiders, but not actually one of them.

D

Deleted member

I suppose it's only vaguely related to what you do, anyway. Sun Wukong, after causing a ton of chaos on earth, is invited to heaven and believes that he'll be awarded an honorable divine rank as one of the gods, but is instead given the title 'Keeper of the Heavenly Horses', and essentially just becomes the stableboy. Eventually, he decides to let all of the divine horses escape, and in the process gains the automatic respect of all horses, divine or otherwise.

I know you aren't a leaker and speculate for fun, but I suppose it's more that you seem to come off as a 'middleman for the middleman', hence someone associated with the gods/insiders, but not actually one of them.
No gods or kings, only Fatmen.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

You are quite the religious one, aren’t you?”, if you don’t mind me asking?

D

Deleted member

Really? Didn’t know she wasn’t talking about religious stuff, even though divinity stuff was mentioned.
Plenty of books, movies, and video games have divinity and religion, both real world and completely made up, doesn't really make them pieces of that religion or even true to that religion.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Plenty of books, movies, and video games have divinity and religion, both real world and completely made up, doesn't really make them pieces of that religion or even true to that religion.
I wasn’t saying anything with divinity makes it religious, and if I did, it was by accident.

But let us drop the religious talk before something bad happens, okay?

D

Deleted member

I wasn’t saying anything with divinity makes it religious, and if I did, it was by accident.

But let us drop the religious talk before something bad happens, okay?
I will return to privately praying at the altar of Geno and will no longer speak of it in public.

Griselda

Smash Lord
..You know what would be amazing and horrifying at the same time? If Sakurai just suddenly knocked on my door tomorrow and said "If you defeat me in Smash, I'll add Geno to the game." Like, Sakurai would be in my house, which would be incredible, but on the other hand.. Sorry, Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not sure if I covered this here but I know I talked about it in the PapaGenos Discord. I give the Power of 6 theory credit because, like I said, it provides an explanation for roughly half of the names we've heard as a private Discord since last September. It could be totally bogus but I've been telling people to pay attention to it because the OP's theory that another Square, Namco, and Capcom character will come with DLC is pretty sharp. Based on what I know, this is how I would hedge my bets for the future, especially before E3 2020:

Square ~Namco >> Capcom.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure if I covered this here but I know I talked about it in the PapaGenos Discord. I give the Power of 6 theory credit because, like I said, it provides an explanation for roughly half of the names we've heard as a private Discord since last September. It could be totally bogus but I've been telling people to pay attention to it because the OP's theory that another Square, Namco, and Capcom character will come with DLC is pretty sharp. Based on what I know, this is how I would hedge my bets for the future, especially before E3 2020:

Square ~Namco >> Capcom.
Is this post Fighter Pass? Since we know[hope] Square isn't going to be #5. With Namco being something of a frontrunner for #5, the way you word this sort of implies that either Namco is getting two characters almost back to back, or a Square character's gonna start off the next wave, which, depending on that Square character's wooden-ness, is a great thing to think.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I'm gonna head to bed, I think. I was wrong last time, but maybe this time I'll wake up to some big, new development regarding Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is this post Fighter Pass? Since we know[hope] Square isn't going to be #5. With Namco being something of a frontrunner for #5, the way you word this sort of implies that either Namco is getting two characters almost back to back, or a Square character's gonna start off the next wave, which, depending on that Square character's wooden-ness, is a great thing to think.
This potentially includes #5 but doesn't have to. I guess an easier way to put this is that it probably covers 5, 6, and 7 because I get the feeling that based on when certain names have come up like Crash, the second half of "Season 2" will more than likely be new companies. I'm very iffy on Capcom before E3 so that's why I laid things out the way I did. Hell, I still think Ryu has a decent chance of being 6 or 7.

MattX20

Smash Hero
This potentially includes #5 but doesn't have to. I guess an easier way to put this is that it probably covers 5, 6, and 7 because I get the feeling that based on when certain names have come up like Crash, the second half of "Season 2" will more than likely be new companies. I'm very iffy on Capcom before E3 so that's why I laid things out the way I did. Hell, I still think Ryu has a decent chance of being 6 or 7.
I'm thinking Capcom might be possible for Season 2, but I'm unsure if they will get a 4th rep. Bandai Namco and Level 5 are the last two big candidates we have for Fighter 5 currently as far as I'm concerned.

Firox

Smash Master
A laughing stock? Like we as a Geno fanbase aren't already a laughing stock? Like Geno isn't the new Ridley in terms of "this is how you know the leak is fake"? Like we're not the subject of irrational hatred on every popular video game message board? There's no reason to be concerned by stuff like that. I live every day knowing that what I say or do is probably going to become the subject of some kind of joke in the future, I'm the kind of loose cannon who can't avoid something like that. I mean, just yesterday, I made myself look like a clown when I proudly cracked open a can of Monster Zero Ultra and said Falchion could break in the original game. Whatever, if anyone notices it and has a laugh at my ineptitude... Eh. I'm not even a huge Fire Emblem fan, just a Sacred Stones fan. Someone having a laugh at your expense, either maliciously or because they hope you'll laugh with them, is a part of life. The best anyone can do, especially those of us with varying levels of social anxiety, is to learn to laugh with everyone, haters included.

Honestly, from the Grinch era, I think the most "smug" insiders would be the GameXplain guys. Sabi can be a real ****head as they have proven in the past few months, but has only come off as smug once or twice, and Vergeben isn't as smug as they are just coattail riders... but GameXplain... I've already written them off as undesirable human beings. Not to say that what they have to say isn't valid, but I don't give them clicks anymore. It's been discussed in here and unless Fatman was speculating based on his connections, there's absolutely no doubt that our theories around the Grinch leak were right: GameXplain, being in Nintendo's pocket, was told to not cover the Grinch leak, but not for the reason that most of team real (and even some of team fake) concluded: there was no coverup as much as it was a very ass-backwards attempt at trying not to get people's hopes up.

Knowing that, the fact that GameXplain covered this leak basically on day one means one or more of several things:
Nintendo learned their lesson and won't stop GameXplain from covering leaks because it raises suspicions. This is unlikely, as Nintendo has never learned anything.
The leak is real and Nintendo has told GameXplain to play it down.
The leak is fake and GameXplain is once again doing a terrible job of non-specifically saying why they know that for a fact (literally as easy as "our contacts at Nintendo who have never been wrong told us it's fake").

There's tons of arguments for and against the Mallowdemon leak. I've gone, with no shame, from heavily real to borderline fake on it, just because of the mysterious circumstance of it going from modders saying "damn that's impossible" to other modders crawling out of the woodwork to say "maybe but check this out", and every time, someone accomplishes something more and more halfway there. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that someone out there has the technology to pull all of this off, and that fact hasn't changed from the first day of the leak, it's only gotten a little more likely. The texture "quality" is really the leg it's standing on now, and I don't trust that since, as I've brought up before, "quality" in a picture of a monitor is already suspect. It's the same trick the Grinch leak used - take a bad picture and your quality being garbage doesn't matter anymore. I think the only other leg it has, which is definitely a bum leg if there's ever been one, is that most insiders are either with the rest of us in wondering if it's real, with only a firm denial from GameXplain (who aren't really trustworthy) and Sabi's big source who knows #5, and despite the confusion around that, all he was able to confirm was that these costumes aren't for #5.
OK, I want to get something straight for the record. To my knowledge, the only "proof" so far against the Mallow-Demon leak is the fact that modders have begun to create COMPARABLE costumes of varying quality, BUT has anyone successfully reproduced the video yet, including the timer, the whale, etc? I find it interesting that several modders claimed the costumes to be impossible to make, yet now we are supposedly seeing similar costumes being done. Wasn't there some sort of data compression issue that couldn't be overcome? How did they get around it? How clean exactly are these newly fabricated costumes? (Still shots don't count for **** as proof.) Could it be that the video simply inspired/drove modders to the challenge of making said costumes simply because they thought they could now? There's still a lot of detail that this isn't adding up for those that claim the leak is straight up false.

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking Capcom might be possible for Season 2, but I'm unsure if they will get a 4th rep. Bandai Namco and Level 5 are the last two big candidates we have for Fighter 5 currently as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah I used to have a theory back when we only knew Joker, that because Konami and Capcom had 3 reps while the other third parties were stuck with 2 or 1, they were going to use the DLC to round out the number to 3 per third party. Since Joker made 3 for Sega I figured we'd be getting 2 for Square and 2 for Namco and that'd be the pass... Obviously that's nowhere near how it turned out, but because of that, I still sort of find it hard to think we'd get another Capcom rep. There's a lot of Capcom characters I'd be ok with seeing, I just don't really expect any.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Capcom's huge and with an entire library of successful franchises so I don't think it should surprise anyone that we've heard Capcom names. My whole thing is whether or not Capcom would be the first company to get four reps. Do they really care that much about "equal" representation? Do they care about echoes?

D

Deleted member

OK, I want to get something straight for the record. To my knowledge, the only "proof" so far against the Mallow-Demon leak is the fact that modders have begun to create COMPARABLE costumes of varying quality, BUT has anyone successfully reproduced the video yet, including the timer, the whale, etc? I find it interesting that several modders claimed the costumes to be impossible to make, yet now we are supposedly seeing similar costumes being done. Wasn't there some sort of data compression issue that couldn't be overcome? How did they get around it? How clean exactly are these newly fabricated costumes? (Still shots don't count for **** as proof.) Could it be that the video simply inspired/drove modders to the challenge of making said costumes simply because they thought they could now? There's still a lot of detail that this isn't adding up for those that claim the leak is straight up false.
I think we've seen almost every part of it replicated in one way or another - it's possible to get everyone to taunt on the same frame through some dedication, it's possible to get a jiggle physics Mallow hat (with video proof to show the jiggles), it's possible to get a frozen timer even if it's through post-production, the whale most likely already passed the screen, and for now, I personally am writing off texture quality for the reasons listed in my post. All of it hasn't been done in one reproduction, but it's all been shown to be doable.

You might be onto something with the video "inspiring" modders, but feels like they should have been "inspired" to do this stuff beforehand if they just genuinely enjoy trying to mod the game. There's a level of convenience that comes with the fact that none of this was possible until the leak happened.

Capcom's huge and with an entire library of successful franchises so I don't think it should surprise anyone that we've heard Capcom names. My whole thing is whether or not Capcom would be the first company to get four reps. Do they really care that much about "equal" representation? Do they care about echoes?
It's kind of hard to tell how these Japanese companies would feel about their representation in a game like Smash compared to another Japanese company, since they have in the past proven that the concept of having your honor slighted does exist even in the professional realm. That kind of stuff is the reason that despite the fact most people point the finger at Square, I think the company that nearly made "Everyone is here" not possible is Konami, not wanting to have anything to do with Snake thanks to the Kojima ordeal. Getting reps into the game might be considered how much Nintendo respects these companies, or how important these companies are to them, and that kind of subtle politics, if it exists, is something Nintendo has to consider just as much as the third parties, I'd think.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's my thought process exactly regarding Capcom's characters right now, otherwise I'd be more optimistic for Phoenix Wright. It's why I think Layton has a good shot since they both fulfill similar game types.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
So I'm 33 years old and Mario RPG was one of my favorite games growing up. This game was one of the best games on the SNES (along with Link To The Past, Mario World etc.) VERY VERY good game............................... but I have to be 100% honest I have NO IDEA why Geno is such a requested character. I literally couldn't not care less about him.

He has ONLY been in ONE mario game (albeit a great game) and imho does not deserve smash roster status... I mean why not put Smithy in then?? He's the main villain. Or Mallow or even Croco? If Geno was in 3 or 4 games I'd say yeah but we have WAAAAAAAAY enough mario reps in smash. I'd prefer basically ANY other character over him. Like Lloyd Irving for example. There isn't a single tales character in this game and if we're talking about rpg characters... I'd MUCH rather have one from Tales than ANOTHER mario rep.

Just don't get it.

Last edited:

berserker37

Smash Rookie
I have been absent from this thread for like half a year. Anyone mind explaining the power of six theory?

D

Deleted member

So I'm 33 years old and Mario RPG was one of my favorite games growing up. This game was one of the best games on the SNES (along with Link To The Past, Mario World etc.) VERY VERY good game............................... but I have to be 100% honest I have NO IDEA why Geno is such a requested character. I literally couldn't not care less about him.

He has ONLY been in ONE mario game (albeit a great game) and imho does not deserve smash roster status... I mean why not put Smithy in then?? He's the main villain. Or Mallow or even Croco? If Geno was in 3 or 4 games I'd say yeah but we have WAAAAAAAAY enough mario reps in smash. I'd prefer basically ANY other character over him. Like Lloyd Irving for example. There isn't a single tales character in this game and if we're talking about rpg characters... I'd MUCH rather have one from Tales than ANOTHER mario rep.

Just don't get it.
You look lost, let me help you.
Lloyd Thread

D

Deleted member

Funny how fickle the Speculation community is. So many people have dropped the Mii Hat leak as another instance of falsehood despite the fact that it still holds at least a spark of potential. Still can't be outright debunked. We're so hungry for new things to throw energy at that any number of accurate leaks/statements could be lingering on the path of cynicism we've left behind.
To be fair, the biggest argument for Team Real was that the mii hats would be incredibly difficult to replicate. But now not only did a person replicate a Mallow hat with jiggle physics, but he was also able to do it in around a week's span. I would have believed in the hats if it wasn't for that. I just can't back the mii hats anymore because I was getting some major Rayman flashbacks

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Just don't get it.
Obviously I could say a lot on this given I've supported Geno online to some degree since 2002 but the best explanation I've seen is this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xat4fFOey_4&list=FLlbGG4bakDbfwO94ZNm6ydA&index=6&t=0s

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the troll.
Y-you too...

There's 1700 pages that you can go read and maybe understand why we want Geno, or not. Surely you didn't come into this thread and expect the red carpet rolled out for you when your 20th post on the entire site is to come into a smelly den of Geno supporters and say "damn dude how do you want puppet man"

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the troll.

Lloyd's probably my #1 pick but as I said I'd take basically every other DLC pick over Geno.

I honestly just don't get the hype around him... just don't.
I do know that backing him as the spearhead for the game is a good strategy because it allows Super Mario RPG fans to all combine under one character versus polarizing it out to Mallow vs. Geno vs. Smithy. When fan popularity is all Geno has for Sakurai to notice him, you're gonna need all of the Super Mario RPG fans and more to unite under him.

Now why Geno over Mallow generaly? Beats me. I'm fine with either, but Geno's the one who's actually making headlines.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Just don't get it.
Thank you for sharing.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
Y-you too...

There's 1700 pages that you can go read and maybe understand why we want Geno, or not. Surely you didn't come into this thread and expect the red carpet rolled out for you when your 20th post on the entire site is to come into a smelly den of Geno supporters and say "damn dude how do you want puppet man"
Gratz Serenade01!! You're the first person that's made it on my "ignore" list.

Obviously I could say a lot on this given I've supported Geno online to some degree since 2002 but the best explanation I've seen is this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xat4fFOey_4&list=FLlbGG4bakDbfwO94ZNm6ydA&index=6&t=0s
I'll check out the video.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gratz Serenade01!! You're the first person that's made it on my "ignore" list.
"I'll put it in my trophy room with the others." - Scout, 2009

Now why Geno over Mallow generaly? Beats me. I'm fine with either, but Geno's the one who's actually making headlines.
I've always thought it's because he's cooler. Few and far between are the Mallow fan. To be more specific, Mallow is criminally weak when he joins your party, and he looks kind of silly. His first action is to bawl his eyes out and tag along with Mario because he's strong. Geno KOs Mario as a toy, and his first action is to chase down his mission even if it means he's outclassed. His design is neat, he was very obviously made to be cool and appealing to young boys, and he starts off very strong. He makes a name for himself very quickly in the game compared to Mallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom