• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I just have to go off about this, I apologize in advance.

"NES icon" is too vague of a descriptor to really be considered a factor of merit. I've said it before and Sakurai sort of backed me up on this - if Smash hadn't existed, I don't think Samus would have been considered an NES icon. I can't speak for how much bearing her inclusion in Smash had on the creation of Metroid Prime and the short boom in Metroid games we got around that time, but I mean it from a general standpoint when I say that Metroid has never been that popular and Samus probably wouldn't make top 10 on what defined the NES or even the SNES to most people.

People love to apply "NES icon" to characters like Mega Man or Simon, and then conveniently leave out ROB, a peripheral that literally saved the NES from the doom of being "another fad game console" after the crash and burn of Atari and Duck Hunt, one of the most memorable and iconic games/characters from that era. In the general population, the only NES icons are Mario and Duck hunt, you know, the game that came bundled with basically every NES console.

The era of the NES was essentially a wild west kind of deal, not like today where gaming media hypes up every release and very rarely does an off the radar game become a hit (typically indie titles). You had people buying video games based on how the box art looked, there was no ESRB to steer parents away, there wasn't so much in the way of series loyalty because the "series" barely existed. Mega Man might be an NES icon to some, but to others, he's an SNES icon. Or maybe even a PS1 icon. When I was given my NES (age 2), there was nothing in the library but Mario, Zelda, and a few sports games. If you asked me at age 8 who the big names on the NES were, I'd say "Mario, Zelda... uhhhh... Solar Jetman". It took eight years from getting an NES before I knew anything about Mega Man or Castlevania or Metroid. The icons of the console are only such because they spawned a legacy and we look back fondly at their humble beginnings, because if we're being really honest, the first Mega Man wasn't great, the first Metroid is a slog, and the first Castlevania spawned Castlevania II. There's tons of games on the NES that aren't iconic at all, and are virtually forgotten to anyone but collectors, but are mechanically just as solid as any of those three to the point that you wonder why they didn't catch on.

tl;dr NES icon varies from person to person based on their experiences with the console

T2by4

Smash Lord
So, like, is a FNAF rep actually being considered? Please tell me it isn't. I keep seeing more memes of him everywhere and I can't tell if it's just genuine ****posting or someone heard something. Ill be honest, I don't want him, but the memes are pretty funny.

Attachments

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So, like, is a FNAF rep actually being considered? Please tell me it isn't. I keep seeing more memes of him everywhere and I can't tell if it's just genuine ****posting or someone heard something. Ill be honest, I don't want him, but the memes are pretty funny.
Its mostly cause it's being ported to switch.

D

Deleted member

FNAF is the new grotesque Steve except it doesn't take any additional work to make the characters look as unappealing as possible.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Its mostly cause it's being ported to switch.
Makes sense.

FNAF is the new grotesque Steve except it doesn't take any additional work to make the characters look as unappealing as possible.
The grotesque steve arc was the best ****posting smash ever had. I don't think FNAF can replace that. I thought it was hilarious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Makes sense.

The grotesque steve arc was the best ****posting smash ever had. I don't think FNAF can replace that. I thought it was hilarious.
Yeah grotesque Steve was good enough by himself, but to think that someone really went through the trouble to make the model and to give it so many outlandish poses and expressions makes it even funnier. Absolutely the peak of Smash speculation's degenerate humor and I'll remember it fondly.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
It really was. I liked how it practically told a story. Steve had a real meltdown when he thought the Grinch was real, but he survived. But Banjo coming out sealed him away inside the Assist Trophy (which is very strange because he isn't even one of those, but still funny).

And so we're safe... for now.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I just have to go off about this, I apologize in advance.

"NES icon" is too vague of a descriptor to really be considered a factor of merit. I've said it before and Sakurai sort of backed me up on this - if Smash hadn't existed, I don't think Samus would have been considered an NES icon. I can't speak for how much bearing her inclusion in Smash had on the creation of Metroid Prime and the short boom in Metroid games we got around that time, but I mean it from a general standpoint when I say that Metroid has never been that popular and Samus probably wouldn't make top 10 on what defined the NES or even the SNES to most people.

People love to apply "NES icon" to characters like Mega Man or Simon, and then conveniently leave out ROB, a peripheral that literally saved the NES from the doom of being "another fad game console" after the crash and burn of Atari and Duck Hunt, one of the most memorable and iconic games/characters from that era. In the general population, the only NES icons are Mario and Duck hunt, you know, the game that came bundled with basically every NES console.

The era of the NES was essentially a wild west kind of deal, not like today where gaming media hypes up every release and very rarely does an off the radar game become a hit (typically indie titles). You had people buying video games based on how the box art looked, there was no ESRB to steer parents away, there wasn't so much in the way of series loyalty because the "series" barely existed. Mega Man might be an NES icon to some, but to others, he's an SNES icon. Or maybe even a PS1 icon. When I was given my NES (age 2), there was nothing in the library but Mario, Zelda, and a few sports games. If you asked me at age 8 who the big names on the NES were, I'd say "Mario, Zelda... uhhhh... Solar Jetman". It took eight years from getting an NES before I knew anything about Mega Man or Castlevania or Metroid. The icons of the console are only such because they spawned a legacy and we look back fondly at their humble beginnings, because if we're being really honest, the first Mega Man wasn't great, the first Metroid is a slog, and the first Castlevania spawned Castlevania II. There's tons of games on the NES that aren't iconic at all, and are virtually forgotten to anyone but collectors, but are mechanically just as solid as any of those three to the point that you wonder why they didn't catch on.

tl;dr NES icon varies from person to person based on their experiences with the console
While I take your point that it's different for everyone, I would disagree on Samus. Metroid was a very popular game, as was Mega Man. I never had a Mega Man game until well after the N64 came out, and yet I still knew he was a major character from the NES.

As for how much Samus getting into Smash contributed to Prime even happening...it was the main one. Even by Smash 64 Mettoid was mostly forgotten because there were no plans for a Metroid 64. When she came back for Melee and there was still no new Metroid game, fans got worried and continued to ask for one until Prime--and Fusion--were finally announced. That was the real "return of Samus".

TriggerX

Smash Ace
My biggest issue with some of these new comers is that they make others feel obsolete. Terry specifically, in my opinion is way better than Ryu and Ken in almost every area while having similar mechanics.

Hero pretty much did the same thing to Robin.

Overall, down the road it would be nice to get updates of existing characters.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
If that were even a thing, it'd be freddy fazbear and not springtrap

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
If a Dark Souls character got into Smash, they'd need to have the longest dodge roll out of any character.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I would like a fang rep because an animatronic is the weirdest kind of character you can put into smash.

Firox

Smash Master
My biggest issue with some of these new comers is that they make others feel obsolete. Terry specifically, in my opinion is way better than Ryu and Ken in almost every area while having similar mechanics.

Hero pretty much did the same thing to Robin.

Overall, down the road it would be nice to get updates of existing characters.
To be fair, Robin's recent round of buffs might be an attempt by the dev team to do just that. But still, I see what you mean. I guess even smash bros isn't a stranger to power creep. New characters, especially DLC, have to have some kind of OP move or mechanic in order to entice people into spending the cash.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Can I just say that Smash Ultimate will forever be the craziest one in the series?

We have fan favorites galore from Ridley to Banjo.
We've had legal walls and limitations destroyed.
We've had a notoriously iconic prank and the Thanos of events immediately afterwards.
We've had Steve and FNaF ****posting memes.
Sans is in Smash and not just a meme.
Every fighter has hit meme stardom during the cycle.
Even those forgotten and lost are going to battle on the web in massive overhauls and jokes.
There's still more to come, even without all of this in mind.
Sakurai is fanboying with stuff he likes and Nintendo is swimming in money.

To the future of Smash, guys! This is just beautiful to think about.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Can I just say that Smash Ultimate will forever be the craziest one in the series?

We have fan favorites galore from Ridley to Banjo.
We've had legal walls and limitations destroyed.
We've had a notoriously iconic prank and the Thanos of events immediately afterwards.
We've had Steve and FNaF ****posting memes.
Sans is in Smash and not just a meme.
Every fighter has hit meme stardom during the cycle.
Even those forgotten and lost are going to battle on the web in massive overhauls and jokes.
There's still more to come, even without all of this in mind.
Sakurai is fanboying with stuff he likes and Nintendo is swimming in money.

To the future of Smash, guys! This is just beautiful to think about.
And the best part of all of it?

D

Deleted member

Ultimate is the best game ever just because this is a legit thing you can do in it:

739984F9-AD88-48C7-B18E-1DFD20AD608A.jpeg

In no other game does this pipe dream crossover happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's ****posting. I'm more than happy to squash that dead.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I really believe each dlc wave is going to get better than the last. If we make it long enough for Nintendo to promote some trophies I'm never going to ask sakurai for anything again lol.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Random idea: So there's a chance of character no. 5 being a "Thank you" of sorts correct?

Anyone here think maybe a character being a thank you to Iwata is possible? I'm at least not gonna count it out.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Random idea: So there's a chance of character no. 5 being a "Thank you" of sorts correct?

Anyone here think maybe a character being a thank you to Iwata is possible? I'm at least not gonna count it out.
I think Dragon Quest was the thank you to Iwata, considering that Iwata asked Horii to bring DQ 11 to the switch. Iwata loved DQ, so that's why Nintendo published a ton of the DQ titles in the West.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'd be happy to see damn near anyone, like legitimately. But FNAF is a hard no from me, like nah. I'm sorry if you're a fan of the games but they have no place being in Smash.

The working story of dead children possessing animatronics is enough to shut that series out from Smash.

D

Deleted member

I'd be happy to see damn near anyone, like legitimately. But FNAF is a hard no from me, like nah. I'm sorry if you're a fan of the games but they have no place being in Smash.

The working story of dead children possessing animatronics is enough to shut that series out from Smash.
Mother 3 is in Smash, let's not forget.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I’d like to think that a year from now Crash Bandicoot and Geno can battle in the pits of hell.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I’ve thought about that but I don’t know who it’d be if they did that. Though the absolute raging wildfire of a ****storm there’d be if the last character was Balloon Fighter would be funny, somehow I’m not expecting that. I think Droodle Droodle is probably right about DQ being it

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

Mii costumes. That's all it needs. Mii costumes are the perfect representation for the series.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Grotesque Steve was funny for a bit, even as a Steve fan.

But after a while, people who used it turned toxic and horrible, and they still are.

Steve and Banjo are friends, Grotesque Steve is a hideous imposter.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Mother 3 is a beautifully emotional game with dark themes and tones that ultimately work into a rewarding resolution.

I fail to see how its comparable to a mundane jump scare game about a Chuck E. Cheese serial killer.
Literally FNaF 1-6

MisterMike

Smash Champion

At this point, I think FP5 will just literally be the word Thank You in Comic Sans. It's final smash would be a one-hit kill exclaimation point.

D

Deleted member

Mother 3 is a beautifully emotional game with dark themes and tones that ultimately work into a rewarding resolution.

I fail to see how its comparable to a mundane jump scare game about a Chuck E. Cheese serial killer.
It isn't, but dead children (and other things!) getting the robot treatment is Mother 3's specialty. Who knows, if we're lucky, we might even get him.

probably not

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It isn't, but dead children (and other things!) getting the robot treatment is Mother 3's specialty. Who knows, if we're lucky, we might even get him.

probably not
Literally FNaF 1-6
Don't get me wrong I'm working with my heavily biased opinion. Mother 3 literally changed the way I see and care about others. The subject matter of dead kids getting controlled and roboticized is a point of great discomfort and sadness in Mother 3. In FNAF it simply serves to creep you the **** out, and continuously build upon a story that's poorly developed from the beginning.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong I'm working with my heavily biased opinion. Mother 3 literally changed the way I see and care about others. The subject matter of dead kids getting controlled and roboticized is a point of great discomfort and sadness in Mother 3. In FNAF it simply serves to creep you the **** out, and continuously build upon a story that's poorly developed from the beginning.
Well, yeah, but you have to consider that it's two completely different genres. The story of FNaF is far from Mother 3's but they both can feel heartfelt at moments when you can't help but feel bad when all the pieces are in place.

Masked Man is a big deal to that game in the same vein when you realize that Pizzeria Simulator's events were orchestrated by the guy who wanted to end the cycle after his daughter was murdered by his business partner. This shows that actual people are being effected by the events outside of just the player and inner circle.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Well, yeah, but you have to consider that it's two completely different demographics. The story of FNaF is far from Mother 3's but they both can feel heartfelt at moments when you can't help but feel bad when all the pieces are in place.
I guess all I feel is that Mother 3's unsavory themes end up saying a lot more than FNAF. Is there any sort of message? Thats a legitimate question, as at this point I'm far removed from the FNAF story line. There's a reason Itoi constructed the horrible events in Mother 3, we're literally talking about the antithesis of the entire story if you want to talk about a dead kid being turned into a robot. As far as I see, the only reason in FNAF is because that **** is dreadfully unsettling.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I know nothing about FNaF, but I think the horror genre is generally lacking in representation (1 assist rep through Fatal Frame, no playable fighters) and would appreciate any character that embodies the genre and originates from a video game even if it's not my preferred game from said genre.

If it were up to me, I'd go with Pyramid Head. :D

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
FNAF material should just go to Mortal Kombat - it would fit better in that environment. Observe ye:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Most people rejected his message

"FNAF deserves to be in Smash"

They hated Jesus because he told them the truth.

Please don't hurt me. I'm just trying to be funny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom