• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I guess all I feel is that Mother 3's unsavory themes end up saying a lot more than FNAF. Is there any sort of message? Thats a legitimate question, as at this point I'm far removed from the FNAF story line. There's a reason Itoi constructed the horrible events in Mother 3, we're literally talking about the antithesis of the entire story if you want to talk about a dead kid being turned into a robot. As far as I see, the only reason in FNAF is because that **** is dreadfully unsettling.
I know, which is why I'm saying it's two completely different genres. That's the point. Horror games mainly shoot for unsettling and that's the point. Scott's original games were unintentionally unsettling. He made it like this on purpose as a way to get back on those who rejected his ideas.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I guess all I feel is that Mother 3's unsavory themes end up saying a lot more than FNAF. Is there any sort of message? Thats a legitimate question, as at this point I'm far removed from the FNAF story line. There's a reason Itoi constructed the horrible events in Mother 3, we're literally talking about the antithesis of the entire story if you want to talk about a dead kid being turned into a robot. As far as I see, the only reason in FNAF is because that **** is dreadfully unsettling.
Games can be fun to play without saying anything and whether or not a game "Says a lot" is absolutely irrelevant to Smash speculation. Casual reminder that this is a game that gave us a playable character based on a hunting simulator from 1984 where the only characters are a duck and a dog with no dialogue and what...? two animations each...?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't get me wrong I'm working with my heavily biased opinion. Mother 3 literally changed the way I see and care about others. The subject matter of dead kids getting controlled and roboticized is a point of great discomfort and sadness in Mother 3. In FNAF it simply serves to creep you the **** out, and continuously build upon a story that's poorly developed from the beginning.
Sorry if I came off as saying there's a comparison between the two, I'm very firm in my opinion that Mother 3 is the greatest game ever made, and also happens to be one of the most truly "mature" video games ever made. I'm just saying that dead children isn't a theme that a character's home game isn't allowed to have. If that were the case, FNAF's dead children being played up for nothing more than "horror" is much more family friendly than Mother 3's dead everything.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I know nothing about FNaF, but I think the horror genre is generally lacking in representation (1 assist rep through Fatal Frame, no playable fighters) and would appreciate any character that embodies the genre and originates from a video game even if it's not my preferred game from said genre.

If it were up to me, I'd go with Pyramid Head. :D
The problem with making somthing like Pyramid Head in Smash is that he has like, symbolic meaning. Putting him in Smash kinda cheapens him. You don't get that problem with FNAF.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The problem with making somthing like Pyramid Head in Smash is that he has like, symbolic meaning. Putting him in Smash kinda cheapens him. You don't get that problem with FNAF.
Yeah, it's Konami's job to cheapen Pyramid Head, not Smash Bros.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not pulling for PH in smash anyway. We already have one of Kojima's wonderful stories in Smash and Silent Hill is probably dead and buried as a series. That's just my fever dream pick to represent the horror genre, not speculating it would ever happen or anything.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I wonder if their are any indie characters on Fatman's almighty list. It would be nice to get at least indie before dlc is all done.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
When it comes to Indie, Shantae's got the demand. But I think the most Nintendo pick would be Quote, unless they wanted to promote Shovel Knight. I'd really love either Shantae or Quote though, myself.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I wonder if their are any indie characters on Fatman's almighty list. It would be nice to get at least indie before dlc is all done.
When it comes to Indie, Shantae's got the demand. But I think the most Nintendo pick would be Quote, unless they wanted to promote Shovel Knight. I'd really love either Shantae or Quote though, myself.
The creator of Undertale literally went to Sakurai's house and beat him in Smash. He's made music for two Nintendo published/GameFreak developed games. He got a Mii costume out of all that.

I can almost GUARANTEE you this is the extent you'll see of indie characters in Smash Ultimate.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well if we end up seeing smash news pop up in a week or 2 I'm going to bet Nintendo was planning to show BOTW2 stuff instead. Maybe Metroid prime 4 but I kinda doubt that since they started over. I would prefer a presentation anyway because we might actually learn something but I'm starting to think Geno and season 2 details aren't going to come until a January main direct at the earliest. Probably going to mirror the September one piece for piece too if 5 is announced this year.

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I don't really expect anything in that department, but one can hope. Shovel Knight seemed like he would be the one, and he's AT'd. It's hard to imagine any other indie character getting further than that unless you want to count Steve.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I mean Quote and Reimu are still on the table. Shantae could escape spirit hell, especially if this second pass is so fan servicey

T2by4

Smash Lord
Aight fellas. I have a scenario for you. You can only pick one path.

Geno gets in Smash Ultimate

OR

Smash Bros becomes a cinematic universe like marvel, and Geno is a major character in it.

You can only pick one, the movies come out and geno is nowhere but he's in the game, or the movies come out with him playing a big role but he never joins the Smash roster.

Which do you choose?

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
For one, I think it's foolish to believe that a list from March of this year that had Banjo and Terry, in the correct order, is just a lucky guess. I'll let "Erdrick" slide since everyone wanted to throw him into their fake leak after Vergeben wouldn't shut up about him, but this guy didn't fall for the Steve trap. Not to say that it's real, but it's a little too uncanny to just write off as a lucky guess.

Aside from this /v/ text leak, the type of which should never be trusted, I think we're very truly in the territory of several people knowing who fighter #5 is and our sources are just waiting for the moment to say it without destroying their sources. Fatman has been open about his theories and how they're slowly getting confirmed, and basically told us in not so many words that even he knows the final fighter and gets suspiciously quiet around the mention of Chosen Undead/Solaire as a fighter, whereas he's been quick to dismiss characters like Reimu or KOS-MOS.

Sometimes it's what you don't say that says a lot.
A bit late to reply but I think it’s foolish to put stock into random 4chan text leaks. You have to keep in mind that there is literally thousands of people throwing up to sometimes tens of thousands of “leak lists” a month since writing a simple list of 5 character names takes no effort. You can hop on there and post a list of 5 combination of names, 10 times a day, for a month or two and chances are some of those list will be mostly correct, just like playing the lotto. It’s a game of probability and numbers so when you have so many people constantly posting anonymous lists, eventually some will get 3/5, 4/5, or even all 5 correct but it doesn’t mean it was a true leak.

If you don’t believe that then look at the French KOS-MOS “leak” where they had Joker, Erdrick, Banjo, Terry, and KOS-MOS on it and contacting the person lead to them literally saying it was a lucky prediction. 4chan should be treated the same since there is even higher volume of people trying to appear as leakers.

If you are listening to Fatman then it seems you have selected hearing due to the biased of wanting your specific character. He hasn’t shot down either Reimu or KOS-MOS just like he hadn’t shot down DS. He has stated multiple times that he doesn’t discuss specific characters that hasn’t been publicly discussed by Sabi or Verge. He doesn’t know who the last character is but has two strong feelings towards a couple of them, especially one that lines up to his speculation but even then says it could be a curve ball pick still.

I get that you that you want a DS rep but you’re putting way too much stake into some random 4chan list IMO.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

OR

Smash Bros becomes a cinematic universe like marvel, and Geno is a major character in it.

You can only pick one, the movies come out and geno is nowhere but he's in the game, or the movies come out with him playing a big role but he never joins the Smash roster.

Which do you choose?
The former. Geno being the Nick Fury of Nintendo would be pretty dope, though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Talked about it in the PapaGenos Discord but, ironically, there's a fairly decent chance that the Grinch Leak will help Geno be part of Season 2. I'll elaborate later but it's so wild to think about the past year.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Talked about it in the PapaGenos Discord but, ironically, there's a fairly decent chance that the Grinch Leak will help Geno be part of Season 2. I'll elaborate later but it's so wild to think about the past year.
GRINCHADS ALWAYS WINS, BABYYYYY!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Here's where we're at for DLC as far as I'm concerned
1573604245210.png

Still convinced the Mii costume leak is real. Acceptable wildcards are characters I personally like, and have varying levels of actual chances.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
A bit late to reply but I think it’s foolish to put stock into random 4chan text leaks. You have to keep in mind that there is literally thousands of people throwing up to sometimes tens of thousands of “leak lists” a month since writing a simple list of 5 character names takes no effort. You can hop on there and post a list of 5 combination of names, 10 times a day, for a month or two and chances are some of those list will be mostly correct, just like playing the lotto. It’s a game of probability and numbers so when you have so many people constantly posting anonymous lists, eventually some will get 3/5, 4/5, or even all 5 correct but it doesn’t mean it was a true leak.

If you don’t believe that then look at the French KOS-MOS “leak” where they had Joker, Erdrick, Banjo, Terry, and KOS-MOS on it and contacting the person lead to them literally saying it was a lucky prediction. 4chan should be treated the same since there is even higher volume of people trying to appear as leakers.

If you are listening to Fatman then it seems you have selected hearing due to the biased of wanting your specific character. He hasn’t shot down either Reimu or KOS-MOS just like he hadn’t shot down DS. He has stated multiple times that he doesn’t discuss specific characters that hasn’t been publicly discussed by Sabi or Verge. He doesn’t know who the last character is but has two strong feelings towards a couple of them, especially one that lines up to his speculation but even then says it could be a curve ball pick still.

I get that you that you want a DS rep but you’re putting way too much stake into some random 4chan list IMO.
well he kinda did shoot down Reimu...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Forgive me, but what 4Chan list are you talking about?

D

Deleted member

GRINCHADS ALWAYS WINS, BABYYYYY!
It all comes full circle
First the Grinch steals Christmas by making a fake leak that divides the fanbase, but then he has a change of heart later and comes back with Banjo and Geno and carves the roast beast

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
My heart would grow three sizes.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It all comes full circle
First the Grinch steals Christmas by making a fake leak that divides the fanbase, but then he has a change of heart later and comes back with Banjo and Geno and carves the roast beast
Alright MissingGlitch MissingGlitch you know what to do :4pacman:

In all seriousness...Did Nintendo pay attention to the noise that was the Grinch Leak, change their original plans for DLC (Moving the Mii Costumes around), and actually going to give us Geno!?

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
It all comes full circle
Absolutely hilarious if true. It's just perfect.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
well he kinda did shoot down Reimu...
Is that true, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? I thought you just said you haven’t heard anything and the last time someone mentioned anything about Reimu to you, you replied with not discussing specific characters?

Forgive me, but what 4Chan list are you talking about?
A 4chan text list that was made in March listing the 4 DLC characters (but Hero as Erdrick) and the fifth being Solaris/Chosen Undead.

D

Deleted member

OR

Which do you choose?
Geno in Smash Ultimate as Video Game based movies usually aren't very good (ex. Detective Pikachu was the only good Video game based movie in awhile if ever) so it's not a guarantee the movie will be good and so I would prefer for Geno to get in Smash Ultimate since as we all know Smash Ultimate is such an amazing game and Geno likely has a higher chance of being done right there than in a movie.
Grinch win. Grinch always win. That's absolutely hilarious yet amazing if true.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

In all seriousness...Did Nintendo pay attention to the noise that was the Grinch Leak, change their original plans for DLC (Moving the Mii Costumes around), and actually going to give us Geno!?
Uuuugh. It's like 30 degrees outside and I was about to get in the hot tube. But I suppoooose I can whip something up real quick,

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is that true, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? I thought you just said you haven’t heard anything and the last time someone mentioned anything about Reimu to you, you replied with not discussing specific characters?

A 4chan text list that was made in March listing the 4 DLC characters (but Hero as Erdrick) and the fifth being Solaris/Chosen Undead.
Do you have a link?

Either way, I do believe we are putting too much stock in this.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

And if that is true, who else could reap the same benefits?

T2by4

Smash Lord
Here's where we're at for DLC as far as I'm concerned
View attachment 246375
Still convinced the Mii costume leak is real. Acceptable wildcards are characters I personally like, and have varying levels of actual chances.
The only likely I'd say is Doomguy based on actual news articles and speculation, the rest I'd say 50/50, Geno too. Hell I still think Geno only has a 10% chance until we hear from more people.

No offense, I haven't heard a thing about rayman and don't feel he has any chance at all. Could be wrong, I just haven't heard anything about him period. Obviously same thing with masterchief and travis, but at the very least they have no representation in smash and can come out of left field.

I really hope we get any of them on that list because overall a LOT of people would be happy with literally any of them.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It all comes full circle

It may have took the "debunking" of several fan favorites just so Banjo and Hero could bring down Grotesque Steve once and for all, but it was all worth it, just to give the favorites a second chance for the post-Pass round.

T2by4

Smash Lord

It may have took the "debunking" of several fan favorites just so Banjo and Hero could bring down Grotesque Steve once and for all, but it was all worth it, just to give the favorites a second chance for the post-Pass round.
>that gif

Yet another reason why we will never have another arc as good as the Banjo VS Grotesque Steve arc

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well if NoJ actually saw the grinch stuff and decided to incorporate it into future dlc plans that would be wild. Personally if that was actually the reason geno is getting in then I would be kinda bummed tbh, that means that geno in season 2 yet again wasn't because sakurai wanted to add him but I guess it doesn't really matter :ohwell:.
All I can hope for is that if comes true then maybe the other grinchers, namely a certain golden boy might be in their cross-hairs for future dlc. Time will tell.

Another interesting thing is that if this is true then Chorus kids might actually have a chance since that fits the reused material from smash 4 thing. Also both chorus kids and mach rider would fit into that "end of the world" list entry that's been talked about for a while since either but especially the latter would make it very obvious why they chose it in particular.

Hope he gets to us soon, I'm not in the PG discord but if someone here is drop in some screenshots will ya?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Man, didn't know Steve was as powerful as Jiren from Dragon Ball Super. Maybe he was just too powerful to be in Smash Bros. Ultimate. LOL

AugustusB

Smash Champion
And if that is true, who else could reap the same benefits?
The only ones would be Mach Rider and Chorus Kids. The others are Assist Trophies or they are already in (Ken and Banjo). They could get the Spirit upgrade like Geno...wait.

Are we about to get those three in the next pass? Maybe not likely, but that would honestly be neat.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Cuphead is my Indie pick forever and always. There's literally a perfect moveset for him, I guess Studio MDHR's strong Microsoft affiliation and his lacking demand stands in the way at this point.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Story time later. Want to talk about stuff that happened last year that Sabi's NoA source shared with me about how Nintendo handled the Grinch Leak. At first it was kind of a cheap laugh but now that Banjo's in and Geno's MIA, I've come to realize that the Grinch Leak was a weird blessing in disguise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom