• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
For Assist Promotions I’d pick:

1. Isaac
2. Waluigi
3. Skull Kid
4. Bomberman
5. Shadow

Nicnac

Smash Ace
No, #5 may actually wind up being a nod/thank you like I implied.
Based on that I'm assuming a Capcom rep is out. We know Geno, Crash, Hayabusa (if he isn't leakbait) and Doomslayer are temporarily out, which is leading me to guess on either Lloyd, a blue-moon pick in Reimu, or someone we don't know about.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No, #5 may actually wind up being a nod/thank you like I implied.
A nod to a particular company, namely a certain third party in smash right....?

To be more specific: is this same third party helping develop Smash?

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Does this strengthen one of the two names you heard more than the other or do they both fall in that thank you catagory?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Oh that's simple, our conversations today may actually be right on the money.
Oh...oh no...
The year is 2030 and the 12th Season of Smash Ultimate DLC has just been announced. Sakurai's been dead for 5 years from sheer exhaustion but his brain is now hooked up to a ton of machines and has a Kirby face drawn on the front of it. Goku was announced in Season 6 and yet the Smash fanbase still isn't satisfied. Waluigi still isn't in Smash. - Black Mirror

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So let's assume the company is bamco, then let's assume the character they go for is Lloyd, then if the series icon is that book thing that came out a while ago then I think we all need to go back and analyze that whole situation asap. Figure out what exactly happened, how we got ahold of it, and how we can use any of the knowledge gleaned to maybe find out info for characters in the future.

Um, excuse me... It's not just "ramblings," it's educated ramblings, thank-you-very-much.
Hey speak for yourself. : )

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I dunno; has Sakurai expressed love for the "tales of" series?
Not precisely (although he definitely said that Lloyd was the ideal Tales rep), but I think what Fatman's getting at is that Fighter 5 is added as a "Thank You!" to the fighter's parent company- in this case Bandai-Namco for assisting him in making the game.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Not precisely (although he definitely said that Lloyd was the ideal Tales rep), but I think what Fatman's getting at is that Fighter 5 is added as a "Thank You!" to the fighter's parent company- in this case Bandai-Namco for assisting him in making the game.
That is not what he said earlier.

He theorized that it would be a character that is from a series that Sakurai appreciates, thus that being a thank you.

Unless anyone could link an article of Sakurai praising Tales or Tekken, I don’t see how a Namco rep could fit.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Does this strengthen one of the two names you heard more than the other or do they both fall in that thank you catagory?
It definitely strengthens one but, as a side note, I could get a message an hour or two from now that says the baby's dead and there's no beer in the fridge so there's a chance I jumped the gun because of the serendipity of the situation. That's just kind of the nature of these things but I'm excited to see how it plays out.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, about the thank you character you all are talking about; what does this mean for Geno?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It definitely strengthens one but, as a side note, I could get a message an hour or two from now that says the baby's dead and there's no beer in the fridge so there's a chance I jumped the gun because of the serendipity of the situation. That's just kind of the nature of these things but I'm excited to see how it plays out.
Since everyone is assuming a Namco rep, does this character come from a series that he appreciates? Thus being a thank you like you said?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, about the thank you character you all are talking about; what does this mean for Geno?
Part of my elation comes from if my theory about #5 is correct, I'm probably right about 6 and 7 too, meaning there's a really solid chance that we'd be getting Geno by E3. But still, let's hold fast and see how things go down over the next couple of days.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Since everyone is assuming a Namco rep, does this character come from a series that he appreciates? Thus being a thank you like you said?
Doubt that's answerable. If it's a Namco rep then my guess is Lloyd or Heihachi, but I see Lloyd as more realisable- Sakurai couldn't make Heihachi workable when he tried to in Smash 4.
Part of my elation comes from if my theory about #5 is correct, I'm probably right about 6 and 7 too, meaning there's a really solid chance that we'd be getting Geno by E3. But still, let's hold fast and see how things go down over the next couple of days.
Geno playable or Geno announced?

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If it wasn't pigeonholed into a framework of companies one idea I had was that It could have been Viewtiful Joe. He and Heideki are good friends and that as a capcom character would fit in the no duplicate rule as well. Also to go with the loose new studio idea with atlus/enix/microsoft/snk you could justify it as a clover studios rep. Heck I remember Heideki jokingly asking Sakurai on twitter when he's going to put Joe in the game a long time ago. If anything it's clear the answer to this puzzle is pretty wide

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I feel like people are sleeping on a Dark Souls rep. That's a very respected series, that would certainly cause a lot of general hype. Yet again, I dunno if Sakurai likes Dark Souls.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Plot twist - early December Smash Direct opens up with Sakurai flipping bundles of hundred-dollar bills, then notices the camera is focused on him and redirects his attention to the audience:

"Thank you John Carmack for sending me $75000. As a thank-you, I have included Doomguy as #5."

*hears people whispering to him off-camera* "Oh, we're doing the fan-favorites now, right? Well, we don't have a model for Geno just yet, but we did find this wonderful dabbing Geno gif online. Please, take a look:"

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
To be honest i´m fine with whatever character comes next if that means we will finally get Geno as a fighter later on

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm wondering just how big of a "thank you" this character will be. Just from my opinion, there are certainly some characters that fit that bill more than others.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
I'm a little confused, because what all you said about Sakurai wanting to thank games/companies that influenced him as a developer (minus Banjo & Kazooie) makes total sense based on the three out of four characters we have.

But... didn't Nintendo pick the characters? So I'm a little confused how this down. Did they have a list they picked and Sakurai narrowed it down? I'm just confused how the picks went down if you're saying Sakurai wanted to thank games that influenced him.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
I'm a little confused, because what all you said about Sakurai wanting to thank games/companies that influenced him as a developer (minus Banjo & Kazooie) makes total sense based on the three out of four characters we have.

But... didn't Nintendo pick the characters? So I'm a little confused how this down. Did they have a list they picked and Sakurai narrowed it down? I'm just confused how the picks went down if you're saying Sakurai wanted to thank games that influenced him.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I really can't emphasize this more clearly:

SAKURAI
PICKED
THE
CHARACTERS

Nintendo gave him a list of OPTIONS, then Sakurai picked from that list.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I really can't emphasize this more clearly:

SAKURAI
PICKED
THE
CHARACTERS

Nintendo gave him a list of OPTIONS, then Sakurai picked from that list.
This is an assumption that is not confirmed or hinted at by official sources in any way shape or form.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I lost track of what was going on.

So fighter 5 is looking like a thank you letter from Sakurai for a certain company? Did I catch that right?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I lost track of what was going on.

So fighter 5 is looking like a thank you letter from Sakurai for a certain company? Did I catch that right?
I think that could be the case. Honestly, I'm probably going to laugh myself into a coma if Brew wound up being right. Imagine #5 gets shadow announced like Robin in Smash 4 before the VGAs and Ryu winds up being the golden child VGA announcement. I'd probably laugh so hard I'd throw up my own heart.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Oh that's simple, our conversations today may actually be right on the money.
Does that include the possibility of Doom Slayer possibly coming post-pass? I know you can't really say but I'm asking just for the heck of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom