• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
What? How do you come to that conclusion?
Sabis source said no Crash for FP5. And after what Vergeben said today, I think we can safely say that they share the same source, or at least a similar one.

And i was just listing other companies I could think of.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
You can make the same case for Heihachi though. His moveset is incredibly different from Ryu & Terry. Simply put, ruling out Heihachi because of Terry is the equivalent of ruling out Lloyd because of Hero. Either both of them are likely, or none of them at all, not one way or the other.

And yes, I do agree that FP5 will be a curveball.
Fair enough, I can't say I've been too invested in either franchise either way. I know whoever Sakurai goes with he always finds a way to make a character fun and interesting. He's like the car salesman that could sell me a broken down vehicle and find a way to make me wanna buy it, lol.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, I totally forgot for another possible character from Tekken/Soul Calibur that I think would be cool to see is Yoshimitsu. I would totally be down for that as I love how a lot of his attacks involve him flipping or spinning, even using his sword like a helicopter rotor.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Heeeey wait a minute.....
Next character supposed to “end of the world” levels...

End of the world almost sounds similar to worldbreaker....

!!!!ZOMG DEATHWING IS IN SMASH!

Wonder why they chose him over Arthas Menethil....

Must be cuz dragons. Dragons are more awesomez than frozen zombie guys with soul stealing swords(not really).

D

Deleted member

Sabis source said no Crash for FP5. And after what Vergeben said today, I think we can safely say that they share the same source, or at least a similar one.

Sabi very likely is Vergeben's source, and I don't mean it in the way that I think Sabi is sending Vergeben a message letting them in on something, just that they're a coattail rider. I can't think of a time recently that Vergeben has broken the news first, it's always Sabi or someone else. Even in the SNK situation, Verge posted a Terry animation which I'd consider them hedging their bets more than an honest to God leak.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Heeeey wait a minute.....
Next character supposed to “end of the world” levels...

End of the world almost sounds similar to worldbreaker....

!!!!ZOMG DEATHWING IS IN SMASH!

Wonder why they chose him over Arthas Menethil....

Must be cuz dragons. Dragons are more awesomez than frozen zombie guys with soul stealing swords(not really).
What if it really is a Blizzard character?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The problem with saying world ending is that, it has to be a character the world completely agrees or disagrees with. Most characters aren't gonna do that.

Even some of the more agreed upon fan characters aren't going to do that. A lot of people will still see them as just another character added that wasn't their favorite. And they would either dislike the decision or be indifferent.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I think that’s an awesome idea there. Unlike with Doom Slayer, who I imagine to be simultaneously rushdown and zoner, stuff like what you suggested forces Master Chief to resort to one or the other based on whether or not your shield is up. A perfect way to distinguish the two from each other.

Speaking of which, interesting take on the energy shield there.

I personally think that the perfect example of a Halo energy shield in a fighting game would be that of the Arbiter from Killer Instinct. The way it works is that it’s limited, but it’s extra HP in addition to having unlimited armor against projectiles as long as it’s up. The extra HP part makes it seem rather OP, so I think it should just be flat-out damage reduction like you suggested. In addition, I feel the shield would be less effective with physical attacks as opposed to projectiles, making it easier to fight characters who rely heavily on projectiles such as the Belmonts or Mega Man, as opposed to characters who prioritize up-close combat like Sheik or Ganondorf.
Thank you! This is super helpful. I will look at some videos of the arbiter in killer instinct for reference and figure out how to make adjustments for Smash that's actually really helpful to know about! And yes I did not actually say it but the idea would be that the shield would work much better against projectiles but could could still be chipped down due to projectiles. Basically certain attacks like Falcon Punch or Ganondorf's smash attacks could still cause Chief to flinch but would do less damage and wouldn't knock him back as far while his shield was up and certain projectiles like Mii Brawlers shotput and explosives would damage chiefs shield more than stuff like Ness/Lucas psi attacks or even a charged shot from Samus since it's energy based. That's the idea at least. So characters who really get in chiefs face would pressure him more than zoners while shields are up, but it would still be high risk high reward for them since Chief essentially has super armor except that he can be knocked back with shields up. It seems like a really interesting way to have a character play where he'd kinda have to change his playstyle depending on whether his shields were up or not

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Now I'm just wondering when the next big leak will hit the scene. It would be nice to get a leak with a new name in it, for discussion purposes, since a lot of the people we've guessed are apparently deconfirmed.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
What do you guys think is more likely?
A) Nintendo bought the rights of Super Mario RPG and that's why Geno can finally be a fighter
or B) Square Enix finally decided to put aside his negligence and did business with Nintendo
(Sakurai I swear to God, you better put the Goose in the game because I want to honk Mario to oblivion)
If Nintendo had bought the rights his mii costume would have been brought back in the base game.

So you are just predicting?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't know why people are assuming Nintendo will buy the rights to Geno, since outside of our fanbase Geno is pretty much irrelevant.
On top of this, Square does not part with their IP that easily.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
With Joker in, the only other character that I have above Geno at this point is Master Chief, who I still legitimately think is a bit of a sleeper pick for #5, even with Banjo already in the pass.

Earlier in the year, a bunch of pretty credible leakers(including Sabi) all mentioned that MCC was coming to Switch. A few of them also mentioned that Ori and the Blind Forest was as well, and guess what we got a few months ago?

Yet, there’s still been absolutely no sign of the MCC, at either E3 or September’s big Direct. An Xbox conference is happening this week in London, sure, but unlike PlayStation’s PSX events, those have historically not been known to really announce anything big at all. A perfect time to reveal it would be The Game Awards, which just coincidentally happens to be when the final character of the pass is most likely going to be announced.

Furthermore, the PC version is going to be released on a per-game basis, with the first title being Reach, slated for an unknown date at the end of the year. Noticeably, Reach doesn’t even have a set date for its Xbox MCC release either, which is particularly strange.

I unironically think that there’s a very good chance that Reach gets a multi-platform shadow drop(or at least a “releasing this month”) at the VGAs, with Switch/Xbox/PC all dropping at the same time. Whether Chief in Smash is announced alongside, I’m not entirely sure, but it’d line up incredibly well and be a perfect announcement.

With all that said, though, I’m personally a Playstation fan at heart, so I’d also love a rep from them, whether it’s Ratchet, Kratos, Sackboy, Jak or also Sly as you said. However, if you’re talking about “perfect, most wanted picks” then one name in particular absolutely screams out to me, yet would basically be the one Sony rep that has absolutely zero chance of making it: A Hunter from Bloodborne, my favorite game of all time. While I think a Dark Souls rep in general has a great chance, Trick Weapons would be so ridiculously cool to use.
Chief in Smash and Reach on switch would be godlike. I really hope it happens but I cant say I expect it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I answered a lot of questions yesterday and, I admit, I'm still kind of tired from it so I'll ask what you all would prefer me to elaborate on today:

1. My confidence in Geno based on speculation on what I know.

2. Elaborate more on who I believe is the lowest hanging fruit of the publicly not known hypothetical list.

3. Elaborate on what I've heard concerning insider opinions of current NPCs in Smash and how likely certain things are to be "promoted."

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So you are just predicting?
The poster in question asked to name potential companies that are not named Konami, Namco or Capcom. So I named the only companies that I could think of who either have not been deconfirmed or have some kind of relationship with Nintendo (With that being said, I think I’d remove Valve from the list.)

Is there a problem with what I mentioned as possibilities?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I answered a lot of questions yesterday and, I admit, I'm still kind of tired from it so I'll ask what you all would prefer me to elaborate on today:

2. Elaborate more on who I believe is the lowest hanging fruit of the publicly not known hypothetical list.

3. Elaborate on what I've heard concerning insider opinions of current NPCs in Smash and how likely certain things are to be "promoted."
I’m very curious about #3, are any assists being considered or is it just existing spirits?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Hmmm I choose...yes! Jk personally I'm most interested in number 3 since you've spoken a lot on the subject of your confidence in Geno and the second one seems least promising?

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice

2. & 3.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

There is something that I’d like for you to confirm to avoid misinformation being spread in this thread.

Did you say something about a “world ending character but in a good way” for either post pass or FP5?

StarLight42

Smash Lord

I’d pick 1. I know you’ve went over it ad nauseum, but that’s just my personal preference. I care about Geno making it in more than I care about other characters (although it would be nice to know what exactly you meant by “not a ton” of NPC promotions, instead of not any at all, so 3 is my second pick)

Also, in sort of related news, Vergeben just piggybacked on Geno and Doom not being #5. Shocker, right? Although I think this is actually the first time he has ever mentioned Geno by name.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Oh I completely agree a Bandai Namco character is coming. The point of my previous post, however, was to point out how I question whether or not Bandai Namco would be a good Game Awards announcement (if there even is one).

I mean no disrespect towards fans of Tales of, Tekken, etc., but... well, I already explained everything in my previous post, so just go read my justification for thinking the way I do there. Again, I think a Bandai Namco character is pretty likely for post-pass DLC, but I just don't think they have a character suited for the Game Awards.

As for Sora, Fatmanonice said yesterday how nothing was happening with him at the moment, but how insiders are speculating he could possibly be one of the last DLC characters (post-pass). So he said if anything happens, it'll likely not occur until around a year from now and speculation will be flooded with him since Disney are bad at keeping secrets.
I admit Lloyd or even Heihachi aren't really fit as a game!e awards announcement and I agree. However they are the most hype inducing realistic expectation. Although things like a Sony rep can happen they are a lot less likely or realistic than a Bamco rep. And anyone else who should be qualified as a hype inducer (Crash, Doom Slayer etc.) they have supposedly been deconfirmed. And I do think Sora is possible as a DLC fighter but not this pass. He is at least somewhat likely

Grumbo

Smash Ace

Please elaborate on number 3. A little part of me is still holding out hope for Isaac

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There is something that I’d like for you to confirm to avoid misinformation being spread in this thread.

Did you say something about a “world ending character but in a good way” for either post pass or FP5?
Could honestly be either but it's just kind of something that nobody takes super seriously but I just kind of note it based on the people its come from. In my opinion, it's the equivalent of **** posting but if (metaphorically speaking) Reggie or Doug Bowser kept cracking the same joke over and over again spanning months, you'd just kind of squint at them and think to yourself "what's up with that?" On that note, Tracer was a **** post amongst insiders for about a month and a half before Sabi's NoA source basically came out and said, "okay... The joke's old... They're not happening."

OffBi

Smash Ace

Either 2 or 3

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

I'm going with number 2 here.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah but that's our fault for feeding their addiction for attention. And imo specific deconfirmation is "actual info" as it directly impacts and changes the landscape of speculation. But I see that you mean who the character actually is or what company they're from is "actual info" to you and I get that. Everyone is definitely on edge since no news came with Terry, so the wait for FP5's identity is more difficult for some. I'm a bit anxious myself but I like talking to you guys and I don't know generally I really like the unexpected picks and am already content with the roster so I'm not going too crazy especially since I never expected anyone I wanted other than Crash for FP5 and it's helpful for me to know he's not coming (yet). But I get your opinion and am not trying to make light of it. Hopefully some more tangible news comes to put us out of our impatient misery soon.
I suppose it is our fault but if a leaker is leaking info for attention instead of trying to get Info out there it is a bit childish. And I suppose it is actual info but it is tedious and tiresome imo. And I honestly couldn't care less who else were to join unless it was someone like Goku or the mannequin you play as in Safety First. I got me some Banjo. And I agree with the last part completely. I hope one of the characters who have been supposedly deconfirmed get in just so that we know this stuff was at least kinda a publicity stunt. And I am glad it is at least somewhat probable due to how big and how many names have supposedly been deconfirmed within a certain source circle

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Fatman would be better off just writing a giant summary post because people want every point clarified lmao

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I dont know why people are asking fatman questions. He made it clear yesterday he had to take a cidiante pill after info got leak

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok. From what I've gathered from the last couple of posts, DLC Fighter #5 is NOT:

- Crash Bandicoot
- Ryu Hayabusa
- DOOM Slayer
- Geno
- Tracer
- Scorpion

Is that right? Am I missing anyone?

Very well. Excluding the aforementioned names, I would gather that the leads on knowing (or more specifically, narrowing down) who Fighter #5 might be would be:

1. They must be from a franchise NOT yet represented in Super Smash Bros. (specifically now in Ultimate). This goes in line with Reggie's words in last year's VGAs (The Game Awards 2018).
2. They must be from a franchise belonging to a Third Party company (i.e. Bandai-Namco, Capcom, Konami, etc.). This follows the trend of the current Fighters Pass.
3. "It's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable"; as expressed by Mr. Sakurai himself during Terry Bogard's Smash Bros. presentation this past Wednesday (Nov. 6). This is one of the key factors by which Sakurai decides whether to add a character into the roster; they must bring something new, refreshing; a unique playstyle to the mix.
4. The franchise the character is from, must have had history with Nintendo before (as in have had games in say, the NES, SNES, N64 eras). Joker's inclusion may have seemed to be the exception, however there was a Persona game released before Ultimate's reveal; Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, which was released in 2014 and starred the main characters from Persona 3, and 4. Earlier this year, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth released, which includes Joker as well.

Considering the four points mentioned, and browsing through lists of games from the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, and Wii U systems, here are some names to consider:

Name: Master Higgins
Franchise: Adventure Island
Company: Konami (before it belonged to Hudson Soft, which was acquired by Konami)

Name: Bub/Bob
Franchise: Bubble Bobble
Company: Taito
Note: Just learned that Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, the latest entry in the franchise will be releasing exclusively for the Nintendo Switch this upcoming November 19, 2019 in Europe, and early 2020 in America.

Name: Bill Rizer/Lance Bean
Franchise: Contra
Company: Konami

Name: Taizo Hori
Franchise: Dig Dug
Company: Bandai Namco

Name: Arthur
Franchise: Ghosts 'n Goblins
Company: Capcom

Name: Hiryu
Franchise: Strider

Name: Kunoichi/Ninja/Kamaitachi
Franchise: The Ninja Warriors
Note: Out of the three main characters, the Kunoichi seems more like THE protagonist of the game and would appease fans requesting for female representation in the Pass.

Name: Pitfall Harry
Franchise: Pitfall
Company: Activision

Name: TwinBee
Franchise: TwinBee

Name: Bonk
Franchise: Bonk
Company: Konami (before it belonged to Hudson Soft, which was acquired by Konami)

Name: Farmer (?)
Franchise: Story of Seasons (formerly known as Harvest Moon)
Company: Marvelous, Inc.

Name: Arle Nadja
Franchise: Puyo Puyo
Company: SEGA

Name: Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
Franchise: Resident Evil

Name: Yugo
Franchise: Bloody Roar

Name: Mag Launcher
Franchise: Evolution
Company: Ubisoft

Name: Frogger
Franchise: Frogger

Name: Vyse
Franchise: Skies of Arcadia

Name: AiAi
Franchise: Super Monkey Ball

Name: Lara Croft
Franchise: Tomb Raider
Company: Square Enix (before it belonged to Eidos Interactive, which was acquired by Square Enix)

Name: Viewtiful Joe
Franchise: Viewtiful Joe

Name: Cooking Mama
Franchise: Cooking Mama
Company: Cooking Mama Ltd (formerly Office Create)

Name: Klonoa
Franchise: Klonoa

Name: Nights
Franchise: Nights

Name: Siegfried/Nightmare
Franchise: Soul Calibur

Surely Fighter #5 should be one of these characters. If not, then Sakurai really went God IQ for this last spot of the Pass.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll probably do the other two later since we still have a month to go until the VGAs but I'll clarify the third one.

Spirits- The consensus is literally "who cares?" It's a picture. Hardly a deterrent but even then it's not wise to expect a ton of them.

Assist Trophies- Huge can of worms because Nintendo royally screwed itself over by how they approached them in this game. There's like a dozen ATs now with sizeable fanbases and even picking 2 or 3 would trigger a ****nado that wouldn't give Nintendo peace for years afterwards. Most people agree that Nintendo's not going to touch this with a 20 foot pole, especially in the recent light that fans are going out of their way to make Pokemon's developers lives miserable over virtual flora and fauna. If Nintendo does it, god speed to them.

Mii costumes- If it's already in Ultimate, don't count on it. If it's from Smash 4 but not in Ultimate yet, it's still on the table but I don't think anyone really questioned this too much.

Assist Trophy + Mii Costume: might as well just be called "double dead." I suppose they could be prime candidates for curve balls but it's a hell of a mountain to climb.

As always, these are just summaries of the main opinions I've heard so feel free to openly mock me and set fire to my car if they end up being wrong.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I would say 2 because I feel like 1 has been discussed quite a bit and 3 is just going to bum people out and/or bring up a lot of push back.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm confused as to how anyone thinks 2B can't work in Smash because of the Mai situation. 2B is literally the easiest thing to make "more palatable" by just filling in the slit in her skirt with the rest of her skirt and giving her proper leggings that cover her lower body. She doesn't even look weird or even different enough to warrant much concern. It really takes so little to solve any issues with her "sex appeal" that might otherwise be cause for alarm in Smash, and the only real possibility of it being an issue is Yako Taro getting pissy about it, and I'm still pretty sure Square Enix would convince him to let 2B be more normalized given how big of an opportunity Smash is for any character.
People need to realize that Mai shiranui is a special case due to the sheer amount of skin and cleavage her design invokes. "Being sexy" or featuring some nice female curves is not an instant disqualification for smash. If it was, we wouldn't have Bayo or "booty-shorts" Samus (zzs alt with midriff), or heck, we wouldn't have zs Samus AT ALL.

link2702

Smash Champion
What if it really is a Blizzard character?
If it was a WoW (or Warcraft in general) character I’d be fine. WoW after all is what turned blizz into the juggernaut they are.

I’d not be fine with overwatch, partly cuz I feel if they’re gonna pick a character from a comical fps, then team fortress 2 should be the one to get that honor, since they were the original pioneer of them. Neither fortnight nor overwatch would probably exist without tf2.

But it’s moreso that I feel that if any blizzard rep gets in it simply needs to be someone from the Warcraft universe.

A character(or...”characters”) I’m indifferent on would be the lost vikings. They’d fit being a retro rep, and they were on the snes, and were created when blizz was still young, so they had probably helped them get their foot in the door as developers. But there’s really not a demand for them, and they’re not really as significant to blizzards history as WoW is.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Ok. From what I've gathered from the last couple of posts, DLC Fighter #5 is NOT:

- Crash Bandicoot
- Ryu Hayabusa
- DOOM Slayer
- Geno
- Tracer
- Scorpion

Very well. Excluding the aforementioned names, I would gather that the leads on knowing (or more specifically, narrowing down) who Fighter #5 might be would be:

1. They must be from a franchise NOT yet represented in Super Smash Bros. (specifically now in Ultimate). This goes in line with Reggie's words in last year's VGAs (The Game Awards 2018).
2. They must be from a franchise belonging to a Third Party company (i.e. Bandai-Namco, Capcom, Konami, etc.). This follows the trend of the current Fighters Pass.
3. "It's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable"; as expressed by Mr. Sakurai himself during Terry Bogard's Smash Bros. presentation this past Wednesday (Nov. 6). This is one of the key factors by which Sakurai decides whether to add a character into the roster; they must bring something new, refreshing; a unique playstyle to the mix.
4. The franchise the character is from, must have had history with Nintendo before (as in have had games in say, the NES, SNES, N64 eras). Joker's inclusion may have seemed to be the exception, however there was a Persona game released before Ultimate's reveal; Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, which was released in 2014 and starred the main characters from Persona 3, and 4. Earlier this year, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth released, which includes Joker as well.

Considering the four points mentioned, and browsing through lists of games from the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, and Wii U systems, here are some names to consider:

Note: Just learned that Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, the latest entry in the franchise will be releasing exclusively for the Nintendo Switch this upcoming November 19, 2019 in Europe, and early 2020 in America.

Note: Out of the three main characters, the Kunoichi seems more like THE protagonist of the game and would appease fans requesting for female representation in the Pass.

Company: Square Enix (before it belonged to Eidos Interactive, which was acquired by Square Enix)

Surely Fighter #5 should be one of these characters. If not, then Sakurai really went God IQ for this last spot of the Pass.
Kinda surprising you jot down some characters with little shots and others with reasonable ones to say the least and not state the obvious like Lloyd and Heihachi, Professor Layton perhaps or Jibanyan etc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll probably do the other two later since we still have a month to go until the VGAs but I'll clarify the third one.

Spirits- The consensus is literally "who cares?" It's a picture. Hardly a deterrent but even then it's not wise to expect a ton of them.

Assist Trophies- Huge can of worms because Nintendo royally screwed itself over by how they approached them in this game. There's like a dozen ATs now with sizeable fanbases and even picking 2 or 3 would trigger a ****nado that wouldn't give Nintendo peace for years afterwards. Most people agree that Nintendo's not going to touch this with a 20 foot pole, especially in the recent light that fans are going out of their way to make Pokemon's developers lives miserable over virtual flora and fauna. If Nintendo does it, god speed to them.

Mii costumes- If it's already in Ultimate, don't count on it. If it's from Smash 4 but not in Ultimate yet, it's still on the table but I don't think anyone really questioned this too much.

Assist Trophy + Mii Costume: might as well just be called "double dead." I suppose they could be prime candidates for curve balls but it's a hell of a mountain to climb.

As always, these are just summaries of the main opinions I've heard so feel free to openly mock me and set fire to my car if they end up being wrong.
Well that probably means Waluigi isn't getting upgraded anytime soon which isn't all that surprising but some people have been expecting him which is strange. That also disconfirms Isaac and Rex/Pyra so if we do get more than one I have no idea who they would upgrade.

It's a shame but whatever.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

- Crash Bandicoot
- Ryu Hayabusa
- DOOM Slayer
- Geno
- Tracer
- Scorpion

Why are you setting a bunch of fan rules? The last character could be literally anyone, Joker alone should debunk many of the points you are trying to make.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

- Crash Bandicoot
- Ryu Hayabusa
- DOOM Slayer
- Geno
- Tracer
- Scorpion

I believe it was also mentioned no one newer than Joker/Luminary not that you put a bunch of new guys in your list or anything just adding to your criteria.

Thanks my fat friend! That is useful information. I was never holding my breath for Isaac anyway unfortunately. Good to know that Geno and Rayman are still potentially in the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom