• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
*Wakes up sick again, calls off work. Gets ready to get some more sleep after puking up his guts, sees single YT notification, clicks it to see PapaGenos video that says both Image/Video leak AND has Geno in the ****ing thumbnail*

Me: *blinks away sleep, rubs eyes and looks again* ...Wait, WHAT THE FUUUUU-

So needless to say, I've watched the video and have seen both the image and the video, and honestly this is the only response I can truly muster is this.

To stop memeing though, thinking about this actually makes me tear up.

Every time I've thought about Sakurai revealing Geno, I tear up and my chest gets heavy. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Geno is the one character I truly want for Smash. I have other character's I would like to see and I often root for characters like Issac and Rayman ans Shantae and previous B&K because I think they are cool but I know others really want them, and part of me still wants Sora and I love Spyro and would love to see him and my conflicting desire to both have and not have Waluigi in Smash is a thing, but the gap between all of those and Geno is so gigantic for me. I have a list of things in gaming that, if they were to happen, I could no longer ask those developers for anything else. Here is that list.
  1. Geno gets into Smash
  2. SMRPG gets a full-on remake or sequel
  3. The team that made Dragon Ball FighterZ makes a Naruto fighting game.
  4. Master Roshi gets included in FighterZ
  5. Pokemon finally becomes what it should be: a true Open-World MMORPG
  6. Kingdom Hearts somehow gets true multiplayer again, either co-op or an MMORPG
If any of these things happens, not only would I be SO grateful that I wouldn't want to ask for anything else, but I also wouldn't know what else to ask for beyond improvements to the requested game. You see which request is at the top though? I've said it before, but I played SMRPG as a kid growing up and again later in life to better appreciate it. It was my first RPG and I fell in love with everything the world had to offer, but Geno was totally the coolest thing about it all. I've been through Melee speculation and the Brawl Dojo days when I would sneak looking at the website at school and I've been a Smash fan since the original 'So Happy Forever!' commercial and playing it for hours on end with my friends and cousins in my basement hangout spot. That spot was OUR spot in that house, and it was filled with beam swords and Sector Z than literally any other thing that it could have possibly been, and seeing us THIS CLOSE to something I have wanted consistently since I was 14 (which is nearly half of my life ago now) is practically reality bending.

That is how big a deal Geno is to me. I'm praying that, unlike Sassy Geno, this doesn't get disproven in a couple days. I want us to meet in the sun together, not fly too close and lose our wings. Please, Sakurai, I think I speak for 99.99999999999 repeating percent of us here when I ask of you...no, when I BEG of you...

PLEASE LET THIS BE REAL.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
@Serenade01
So, my boy, I obviously know how you'd feel about Geno. But what about Doom Slayer? I know before you weren't thinking was the most likely and/or you weren't feeling his inclusion (I forget what exactly, so sorry if I am putting words into your mouth).

D

Deleted member

Not trying to be pessimistic, are you, and prove this is like the Grinch leak? Either way, it is possible that this could still be the Grinch leak 2.0, even though many leaks have been called that before, if you know what I mean.
I honestly don't think it's fake, but I am throwing out my doubt at random intervals. What I want, more than anything in the world, is to find a way to disprove Geno as a fighter from this. I don't want a nasty Isaac tier surprise as Geno reprises his role as a soulless costume because this video leaker was being cheeky.

Someone in one of my discord groups shared these screenshots with me, so I figure having all the great minds in here take a look at them would be a good idea.

unknown.png

cUJvkAc.png

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
So if this is a real leak, like the previous Ken one, do you guys think it comes from Nintendo, or from the ESRB? The ESRB has been very leaky before.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I honestly don't think it's fake, but I am throwing out my doubt at random intervals. What I want, more than anything in the world, is to find a way to disprove Geno as a fighter from this. I don't want a nasty Isaac tier surprise as Geno reprises his role as a soulless costume because this video leaker was being cheeky.

Someone in one of my discord groups shared these screenshots with me, so I figure having all the great minds in here take a look at them would be a good idea.

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
OOF

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

LMAO fake. There's no way Sakurai would go out of his way to making a deal with Disney just to get Sora as a Mii costume. Could you imagine the salt?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
Yep, the leak from 4Chan you posted seems fake to me, personally speaking.

D

Deleted member

@Serenade01
So, my boy, I obviously know how you'd feel about Geno. But what about Doom Slayer? I know before you weren't thinking was the most likely and/or you weren't feeling his inclusion (I forget what exactly, so sorry if I am putting words into your mouth).
I've said it before but as long as I get Geno, my wishlist is checked off. They could put Tony Hawk in the game after that and I'd be down with it. I could see Doom Guy being a mii costume out of this, and unfortunately I can still see Geno being a costume too, in yet another tone deaf Nintendo move.

If they're both characters, that doesn't change my opinion that Doom Guy kind of doesn't fit and that FPS are a hard genre to represent in Smash, but I'll be intrigued to see what they do with him.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
it'd be hilarious if this was real, but the obvious thing to note is that it was posted today

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys we should know those are fake anyways because you really think Sakurai is gonna go out of his way to make a deal with Disney just to make Sora a Mii costume?

Also just imagine the salt being highly demanded.

D

Deleted member

it'd be hilarious if this was real, but the obvious thing to note is that it was posted today
Yeah all of this happened after I went to sleep, and it was obviously screenshot by someone overseas. As I am at work I can't go look up a 4chan archive to see if the post exists and when it was made in United States time, since I know the video and screenshots were from ~1:30 AM EST

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
About that leak. Between Geno and Doom Slayer. I'm siding with you guys on the Geno side. And I'm actually happy about Mallow's Mii costume, he's my favorite Mario RPG original character.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
How is Bandana Dee supposed to work as a Mii Costume? He also lists Mallow as a full Mii Brawler costume and not just a hat.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Christ, what are the odds that all the good leaks happen right when I fall asleep? First Pokemon Sword & Shield stuff, now this. I don't think I even need to express how huge of a revelation this is. It's like everything that we've been speculating on these past months is now finally coming together:
- Internal talk at Nintendo about Geno being in.
- Geno being a name most insiders have consistently heard about but haven't been able to concretely confirm.
- 2 music tracks intimately tied to Geno were struck by Nintendo despite Nintendo not owning them.
- No Geno Mii Costume with Hero when that would've been the most appropriate time to reveal it.
- PapaGeno's source lists Mallow/Smithy Mii Costume, but no Geno.
- Mallow Hat leaked, but not Geno's costume.
- Mii Fighter outfits are currently impossible to mod for Smash Ultimate for a variety of reasons.
01a.gifv.gif

As it stands, I think this video is very much real, there's too much you'd have to assume to believe this is fake. That said, I'm still not going to spike the football with regards to Geno being a fighter. I think it's still possible that he could be returning as a costume, but I also think it's incredibly unlikely given everything we've seen. Either way, get hype boys!
I know this fanbase is used to getting kicked in the nuts but this takes expecting disappointment to heights I don't think humanity was ever meant to experience.
Wynn: "YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWER!"
Speaking of...
Okay, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but when does that ever stop me from saying anything?

I think seeing those video probably deconfirms Geno & Doomguy. Those two costumes look like they're ready to be released with a new update seeing how Ken's shoryuken does more damage, and who do we know that's going to be release soon? Terry Bogard. It feels more like those two Mii Costumes that were in that video are going to be released with Terry this month, giving us another Banjo style Mii Costume release. If those two costume are part of Terry's showcase video then that most likely mean that Doomguy & Geno are Mii Costumes as well, I don't see how both can be playable but Mii Costumes related to those series get released before them; and there is absolutely no way Sakurai is going to show off two brand new fighters in this month and have costumes related to those series be released early.

But on the other hand, it could be possible that they were making these costume early and testing them out because Geno & Doomguy are going to be playable later on. Maybe they're not ready to release... but I don't get why they would be completely finished and tied to this new update if they were going to be released, but then again I don't know exactly how Sakurai & his team develop this stuff or what kind of schedule they do so it' entirely possible.

I'm 70/30 on this. It's possible that, just like Megalovania, they would have SMRPG music tied to the Mii Costume. I feel like if this Mallow & Doom Mii Costume are ready to release with Terry then it doesn't look good for Geno & Doomguy (which sucks because I really do want those two, but I already lost so many of my favorite characters already what's two bloody more characters to add the ever growing cemetery). Though stranger things have happen so maybe, just maybe, they might become playable (I no longer take "just because we haven't seen it" as evidence for anything ever more ever since Shadow & Isaac).

Feel free to call me an idiot or negative for thinking this, but I ain't getting my hopes up. I'm more then glad to be wrong.
Actually, I'd say this is a pretty decent take. I think the reason we're seeing these costumes together is because they've been done for a while now but haven't been released. Smash stuff is usually made ahead of time and only released when ready. Recall that the Hero presentation and the Banjo presentation were recorded at the same time, so around late July. Both characters were in a playable enough state to be showcased, with the minor asterisk that the footage shown was a dev build. Also recall that PapaGeno's source game him the initial list of Mii Fighter costumes in mid-late July, meaning that the costumes would've had to have been done or at least in development around that time. So it's not unreasonable to think that both of these costumes could be showcased at the same time.

Of course there's also the question of: "Why did they showcase the Mallow and Cacodemon hats rather than the Geno and Doomguy costumes?" Well, I think the answer is rather simple: They don't exist, because those characters are going to be the next fighters rather than new costumes. Now sure, you could argue that Geno's costume could come back, but why would they go out of their way to include a Doomguy costume and Cacodemon hat and NOT include Doomguy as a fighter? Plus, you'd figure that at some point we would've heard about a Doomguy costume or the Geno costume returning by now.

Now as for how they'd be released, I agree that it would be unrealistic (but hype as ****) to have them both revealed at the same time, but I think it'd be more realistic to see them revealed like this:
- Terry drops in November
- Doomguy is revealed shortly after, either at the end of Terry's presentation, at a 1-year Smash Ultimate anniversary stream, or at the VGAs
- Doomguy drops sometime before the end of November
- Geno is revealed shortly afterwards as Post-FP1

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
Seriously, if anybody shares another random 4chan post here, I'm going to report them.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
4chan text leak just happens to come out the morning after this video with “shocking” info and an extremely detailed list of everything coming. It’s a shame this wasn’t posted literally any other day!

This is /v/ 101

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
4chan text leak just happens to come out the morning after this video with “shocking” info and an extremely detailed list of everything coming. It’s a shame this wasn’t posted literally any other day!

This is /v/ 101
Unless it is the same guy who posted the image, then it is possible this guys is piggybacking.

D

Deleted member

Seriously, if anybody shares another random 4chan post here, I'm going to report them.
Hey, hang on, I'm just as tired of the /v/ text leaks as the next guy - I posted those screenshots because they're extremely relevant to a 99% real leak of two costumes, with video. I want to know which came first and by what margin of time. If the screenshots I posted are riding the coattails of the Mallow video then **** him, he's funposting, case closed.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
If those Premium Costumes are real for the Mii Fighters then oh boy, that's going to big SUPER HARD! I doubt Doom Slayer and Sora would look as good as Sans did, but it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to do that. Though I'm incline to believe this is fake because of Sonic getting a Classic Sonic costume, Current Sonic is like twice the size of Classic Sonic, that's not going to work. Also Street Fighter 5 Ryu looks the same as Smash Bros Ryu (unless it's the beard version of Ryu). I would love for there to do alt costumes for the fighters instead of Mii Costumes, but doubt that's going to happen.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Watching the video, the timer never moves. And it’s specifically at 2:30. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there’s no way to stop the timer, correct? It seems like it’d have to be in the debug menu to even make sense. So I’m not really sure if that’s a point against the leak tbh. Plus, I saw somebody in this thread mention that one of Ken’s attacks does more damage than in the current version of Smash? If true then I feel like the leaker has access to an update somehow. Honestly I’m just spitballing here and have no clue on the technical side of things, but these are making it seem real to me.

The timer is correct however, it was proven that you can get that Ken damage depending on stale moves.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
I think I threw up in my mouth a bit reading these. That could just be me being sick though.

Seriously though, these are god awful. They have all the dumb feak leak **** in them like knowing what Sakurai will say and the order or reveals.

On top of that, not only is that way too many costumes in general for a single reveal, it's WAY too many for just the SNK costumes. Also, acting as if Sora, Crash or Doom Guy would be anything less than characters is ****ing ridiculous. They are either playable or not. This isn't something like Steve or Shantae who could work without having playable character representation. All of those names are WAY too big and could not be properly represented without being playable. Serious, Crash as a Brawler costume? Get out of here!

While I would love more costumes for characters, it just doesn't seem like it would happen, and I know a better Ranked mode will not happen.

This is just general trash trying to play off of the Mallow and Cacodemon potential leak.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
I would almost believe this if it was posted before the costume leaks came out, but it was very clearly posted after, so they’re obviously trying to **** with people and cut off as many big requests as possible.

Oddly, the big kicker for me that makes it super-obviously untrue(even moreso than the Sora and Crash costumes) is BWD as a Swordfighter costume, because it’s a costume for a specific class and not just a universal hat... of a character that only wears one garment of clothing and wields a weapon that is not remotely similar to a sword.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm leaning more towards this being real as opposed to fake. Given how modders made it clear that modding Mii Fighter costumes in Ultimate is a serious pain, if not borderline impossible at points without the game crashing to various other things like the debug timer as well as other bits and pieces linking both Geno and Doomslayer in the past

vivala

Smash Journeyman
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/501288125914677250/640929029934809088/exp.PNG

Idk if this has been posted in this thread yet, but this really emphasizes just how unlikely it is that these costumes are mods. The leaker would have to be capable of not only making great models, but perfectly editing the code to make sure each hat scales properly, AND they would need to develop compression technology on par with Nintendo's wizardry to keep the game from crashing. This is on top of needing to edit the timer to freeze and extend the character limit on Mii Fighter names (since "Mii Brawler" breaks the 10 character limit).

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Yeah the premiun costume thing sounds like a load of horse manure to me. Sakurai’s not the kinda guy to release a character and then charge for an alt that comes out the same day.

Im starting to think that this dude who leaked the costumes is the same guy who leaked Ken. It may be hist calling card of sorts.

Also if we get Geno you know what that means...
GENO AMIIBO!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What about the possibility of getting three Mario RPG costumes and that's it? We still don't know about the Smithy one but it is likely he would come with Geno and Mallow mii costumes. I think that alone could justify Nintendo's stance of bringing the Mario RPG characters into Smash. (As tone deaf as they may make them seem)
Doubt it because it's a piss poor resource investment. What do playable characters bring with them? Amiibos. Imagine Square Enix sinking in this much money for a couple of costumes that cost less than a dollar each instead of costumes AND a $6 character AND a $15-18 Amiibo. That said, costumes for third parties are only a good investment if it's literally just one and that's because it's better than nothing.

NerfOrNothiing

Smash Cadet
I don't want to hype myself up to be disappointed but-- as of the moment I see absolutely NO way that this leak could be fake. I actually, for once, feel almost 100% about Geno and it's great. (Also, I'm just overjoyed at these two Mii costumes if they're actually real. I love Mallow and I love Doom aswell!)

D

Deleted member

Yeah the premiun costume thing sounds like a load of horse manure to me. Sakurai’s not the kinda guy to release a character and then charge for an alt that comes out the same day.

Im starting to think that this dude who leaked the costumes is the same guy who leaked Ken. It may be hist calling card of sorts.

GENO AMIIBO!
bruh I'm going to be tripping over myself putting in a preorder for a Geno amiibo

RingJ5

Smash Ace
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/501288125914677250/640929029934809088/exp.PNG

Idk if this has been posted in this thread yet, but this really emphasizes just how unlikely it is that these costumes are mods. The leaker would have to be capable of not only making great models, but perfectly editing the code to make sure each hat scales properly, AND they would need to develop compression technology on par with Nintendo's wizardry to keep the game from crashing. This is on top of needing to edit the timer to freeze and extend the character limit on Mii Fighter names (since "Mii Brawler" breaks the 10 character limit).
Ooh, that last thing’s a great point that I haven’t seen brought up before.

However, it does make me consider a way that all this could be modded: Is there any possible way that the leaker could have ripped the Mii Fighter character models, added the hats to the model itself, then added them back in, completely skipping all the issues with modded Mii Costume pieces?

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Hey, hang on, I'm just as tired of the /v/ text leaks as the next guy - I posted those screenshots because they're extremely relevant to a 99% real leak of two costumes, with video. I want to know which came first and by what margin of time. If the screenshots I posted are riding the coattails of the Mallow video then **** him, he's funposting, case closed.
this is definitely a good point to make, while its highly likely that this is riding coattails, there is a slim chance it isnt

Ovaltine

Smash Master
**** blew up overnight, holy ****

Geno is looking so likely but I'm preparing in case of a costume

Be still, my heart

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

View attachment 244934
View attachment 244935
no

Bionichute

Smash Champion

However, it does make me consider a way that all this could be modded: Is there any possible way that the leaker could have ripped the Mii Fighter character models, added the hats to the model itself, then added them back in, completely skipping all the issues with modded Mii Costume pieces?
maybe its just me but i feel like adding anything onto a model would increase the filesize? and they'd still need to edit in the character icons

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
this is definitely a good point to make, while its highly likely that this is riding coattails, there is a slim chance it isnt
That is what I said earlier with the piggybacking thing.

Unless it is the same guy who posted the image, then it is possible this guys is piggybacking.
This is about the 4Chan or /V/ so called leaker, by the way.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Unlikely. Mii Fighters don't technically have a head, they have to use the ones stored on your Switch, and I don't think those could be easily edited, either. Or at least, I've never seen it happen.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

GENO AMIIBO!
I mentioned this a few months back but when it gets released I'm going to drive around untill I can find a kiosk full of them so I can take some pictures.

The idea of seeing geno merch in a target or Wal-Mart in 2020 is going to be one of the most emotionally bizzare things I'll ever see.

I'm I weird for being equally if possibly more exited at the idea of geno getting an amiibo than as a fighter?

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
maybe its just me but i feel like adding anything onto a model would increase the filesize? and they'd still need to edit in the character icons
Unlikely. Mii Fighters don't technically have a head, they have to use the ones stored on your Switch, and I don't think those could be easily edited, either. Or at least, I've never seen it happen.
Ah, good, with that method impossible it makes it monumentally harder to fake something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom