• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem I have is Wynn's problem: Why are two characters' costumes ready to go at the same time? It feels like the worst case scenario here is that only one of the two fighters these costumes would be associated with is playable, and the other is a Sans. I think the question becomes which company is more likely to be happy being a Sans?

In my mind, and this is even without Geno bias, I could see Doom Guy not being a fighter and just having costumes. Bethesda is probably aware that they don't really have characters that are a great fit for Smash, but would be totally down with a costume just thrown in somewhere. I don't think Square would play second fiddle to someone else' character, though...

But what if they're both just Sans? What if these guys are coming with Terry for some inexplicable reason? I mean:

if Sakurai wants to break the limits of what you can do in a video game crossover, what is to stop him from breaking the limits of human disappointment?
True. This is a good point. My main theory is though, that these costumes are not coming till later. It looks like they are being play tested so that means they have intentions to modify it still before release. There's also likely a bunch of other Mii Costumes in development not yet shown. So who knows how many still need to be play tested

Also given how fast they've been releasing fighters, it could be the same with the Mii Costumes. It's not too crazy to assume that they finish these in advance before they release them

This also makes me think about the Mii Costume List. I wonder if the area where they're play testing these is where that guy got the info from

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just woke up to find out about all of this. If it's an actual leak, and it's pointing towards Geno and Doomguy being playable, then that would be great - they're two of my three most wanted. However, I'm not sure how far along modders are when it comes to Mii costumes, and after the Smashified video where they inserted Rayman into Smash 4's character select screen, I'm not even certain about trusting leaks when they have video evidence.

I've seen one video, but the timer is stuck at 2:30:00, which seems unusual.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
To further emphasize a point I made earlier, look at the Mii costume list:

http://smashbros-ultimate.com/mii-costumes/outfits

What do you notice?

One noteworthy pattern is that, aside from ARMS, franchises don't have multiple Mii costume options unless they have playable characters. As seen in Smash 4, SMRPG is categorized slightly differently because of it being owned by Square Enix. What does this mean? Based on past patterns, the Mallow hat would be the only SMRPG thing coming if it wasn't getting a playable character. The same could be said for the Doom enemy. Now, let me ask you all this... Do you think Nintendo deliberately blew its load for a hat of the less popular teammate and a common enemy? Again, of all the Mii costumes, ARMs has been the only exception and the reasoning for that is that Ribbon Girl is arguably just as important as Spring Man to the series, almost to a Red and Leaf degree.
What about the possibility of getting three Mario RPG costumes and that's it? We still don't know about the Smithy one but it is likely he would come with Geno and Mallow mii costumes. I think that alone could justify Nintendo's stance of bringing the Mario RPG characters into Smash. (As tone deaf as they may make them seem)

D

Deleted member

kudos to Nintendo for managing to sit on it so hard for this long.
And no thanks to Bethesda, who basically admitted it.

I will never understand the mentality of people who think leaks spoil everything. I am on the edge of my seat. I need this direct, now. I need to know the absolute truth, even if it hurts me.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Just logged in this morning since I’ve been busy. The thread has exploded, what the heck is going on?
A video leak has recently surfaced which had a Doom related Outfit and a Mallow outfit in. Led many to assume it pointed to Doom Slayer and Geno respectively. Could be mods but maybe not

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It honestly does. Slender can verify this but we ironically were having a conversation the other day that was like "damn, I like the Doom fanbase but I honestly wish there was evidence for Doom Guy..." No joke, this is the first time anything major has come up for Doom so kudos to Nintendo for managing to sit on it so hard for this long. This is another reason why I haven't made the "list" public because it would have curbed people's expectations in a really unhealthy way and I don't want people to not expect certain things specifically because of me and just provides evidence that the list isn't definite or inevitable.
Yeah, if that list would've been released, who knows what would've happened when this leak came out. Being secretive while keeping things open seems like a very good plan. And it's funny how things worked out for Doom Slayer. A rise in support this speculation cycle, a constant face of many a text leak, and all amounting to a huge leak next to one of the most wanted characters in Smash history. Truly, he will be an icon in the history of Smash speculation.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
If all of this turns out to be correct and not a troll or anything, then I hope the Dragon Quest fans and Hero mains won’t mind if we borrow this song if and when he gets revealed:

Also, I can imagine all the great meltdowns if this turns out to be true to be like: “He’s an irrelevant character, how did he get in? REEEEEEEE!”

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I just woke up to find out about all of this. If it's an actual leak, and it's pointing towards Geno and Doomguy being playable, then that would be great - they're two of my three most wanted. However, I'm not sure how far along modders are when it comes to Mii costumes, and after the Smashified video where they inserted Rayman into Smash 4's character select screen, I'm not even certain about trusting leaks when they have video evidence.

The timer thing is related to debug mode, apparently, as seen in the Ken leak. It should be noted that the only major discrepancy with this leak right now is that the Ken leak had an extra 0 before the 2, but even that could have been changed throughout different builds.

The Mii Costume thing is actually why most people believe it, as right now it’s basically impossible to mod Mii Costumes. To fake it, the leaker would have had to personally make huge, huge strides in Ultimate modding and then keep their method a secret just to use here.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Yeah serenade is right if doomguy makes it in how the hell did they get away with such a blatant disregard for their nda?

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to take a moment to thank my mans Ken for helping us out like this.

Absolute bro to the end, he'd never lie to us. and if this is somehow fake I'm dropping your ass

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Not that I think this is fake, firmly #teamreal, but Virtua Fighter got two costumes despite no playable character in Smash For. Geno and Mallow costumes aren't impossible.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
True. This is a good point. My main theory is though, that these costumes are not coming till later. It looks like they are being play tested so that means they have intentions to modify it still before release. There's also likely a bunch of other Mii Costumes in development not yet shown. So who knows how many still need to be play tested

Also given how fast they've been releasing fighters, it could be the same with the Mii Costumes. It's not too crazy to assume that they finish these in advance before they release them

This also makes me think about the Mii Costume List. I wonder if the area where they're play testing these is where that guy got the info from
I think the best scenario would be to hope that these two Mii Costumes aren't show at all in November. If Terry's video is drop without anything related to SMRPG or Doom then it looks like Geno & Doomguy might be playable. If they're show soon then it's time to pack it up.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Okay, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but when does that ever stop me from saying anything?

I think seeing those video probably deconfirms Geno & Doomguy. Those two costumes look like they're ready to be released with a new update seeing how Ken's shoryuken does more damage, and who do we know that's going to be release soon? Terry Bogard. It feels more like those two Mii Costumes that were in that video are going to be released with Terry this month, giving us another Banjo style Mii Costume release. If those two costume are part of Terry's showcase video then that most likely mean that Doomguy & Geno are Mii Costumes as well, I don't see how both can be playable but Mii Costumes related to those series get released before them; and there is absolutely no way Sakurai is going to show off two brand new fighters in this month and have costumes related to those series be released early.

But on the other hand, it could be possible that they were making these costume early and testing them out because Geno & Doomguy are going to be playable later on. Maybe they're not ready to release... but I don't get why they would be completely finished and tied to this new update if they were going to be released, but then again I don't know exactly how Sakurai & his team develop this stuff or what kind of schedule they do so it' entirely possible.

I'm 70/30 on this. It's possible that, just like Megalovania, they would have SMRPG music tied to the Mii Costume. I feel like if this Mallow & Doom Mii Costume are ready to release with Terry then it doesn't look good for Geno & Doomguy (which sucks because I really do want those two, but I already lost so many of my favorite characters already what's two bloody more characters to add the ever growing cemetery). Though stranger things have happen so maybe, just maybe, they might become playable (I no longer take "just because we haven't seen it" as evidence for anything ever more ever since Shadow & Isaac).

Feel free to call me an idiot or negative for thinking this, but I ain't getting my hopes up. I'm more then glad to be wrong.
Now that is something i would disagree on, i'd like to hope it;s the opposite.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I want to say that no one would create models for Mallo/Caco and then figure out how to swap their models with preexisting mii hats before anyone else had, but then I realized that we're one week past a year from the grinch leak.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Just watched the video, the timer isn’t moving. That makes me think this is fake....

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I want to say that no one would create models for Mallo/Caco and then figure out how to swap their models with preexisting mii hats before anyone else had, but then I realized that we're one week past a year from the grinch leak.
I think the difference here is that it is a less of a case of effort and more doing something that is seemingly impossible from a modding perspective.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Isn't that just a debug trait?
Maybe, but until we know, I think it is possible that it's "their first mistake".

Still. those costumes look damn good. I doubt any leaker, if this was fake, would be able to make such good costumes.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Just watched the video, the timer isn’t moving. That makes me think this is fake....
Remember that the original Ken leak (as in the one that leaked Ken himself) had the timer set at exactly 2:30, which shouldn't be possible unless the timer can freeze in debug mode.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
People have chalked it up to being in debug mode. Similar to the infamous Ken leak. However, that was not a video.

Also, no one has cracked the code to modding Mii Outfits in Ultimate as it is very tedious, borderline impossible.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to take a moment to thank my mans Ken for helping us out like this.

Absolute bro to the end, he'd never lie to us. and if this is somehow fake I'm dropping your ass
Ken really has been a great help. (costume leaker has a great sense of humor)

Also for everyone who is hung up on 2:30.00 not moving, this image had the same question hovering around it. It's a debug timer.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
So these are just hats, right? The “mallow” Mii is using toad’s outfit. So it’s not a full costume.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
And no thanks to Bethesda, who basically admitted it.

I will never understand the mentality of people who think leaks spoil everything. I am on the edge of my seat. I need this direct, now. I need to know the absolute truth, even if it hurts me.
Yeah serenade is right if doomguy makes it on how the he'll did they get away with such a blatant disregard for their nda?
Yeah, though I’m totally fine with Doomguy getting in(would’ve preferred Chief, though hopefully he can show up later) Bethesda hasn’t been even remotely subtle about any of this.

Blatantly admitting that they’ve talked to Nintendo about Smash, repeatedly mentioning “surprises for Nintendo fans”, having their composer hire freelance metal choir vocalists for a secret project right when Grant was remixing his Banjo track... I suppose there’s merit in being so obvious that people disregard you as a result, I guess?

Is there anything else I’m forgetting that shows even more disregard from Bethesda?

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

Modders have come out and said that there hasn't been fully custom Mii costumes because of how they are coded and created. For reference:
Has this been posted yet?

View attachment 244901
The timer being stuck at 2:30:00 likely means that it's in debug mode. The timer also said 2:30:00 in the Ken leak. A lot of people seem to agree that it's legit because the two Mii costume models can't be found anywhere on the internet.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, though I’m totally fine with Doomguy getting in(would’ve preferred Chief, though hopefully he can show up later) Bethesda hasn’t been even remotely subtle about any of this.

Blatantly admitting that they’ve talked to Nintendo about Smash, repeatedly mentioning “surprises for Nintendo fans”, having their composer hire freelance metal choir vocalists for a secret project right when Grant was remixing his Banjo track... I suppose there’s merit in being so obvious that people disregard you as a result, I guess?
I mean, before this leak, how were people chalking up Doom Slayer support? Belief of fake leaks. It's obvious in hindsight, but none of this was seemingly taken too seriously by most speculators.

D

Deleted member

Is there anything else I’m forgetting that shows even more disregard from Bethesda?
Nintendo's on that next level stuff. "So Bethesda, your NDA is... just don't say "Doom Guy is in". Do whatever else you want. No one will believe it at all because of how obvious you make it."

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ken really has been a great help. (costume leaker has a great sense of humor)

Also for everyone who is hung up on 2:30.00 not moving, this image had the same question hovering around it. It's a debug timer.
I also remember that when that Ken image floated around, people were talking about how it was fake BECAUSE of the extra 0 in front of the 2 then. Its likely the debug mode now has it removed.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The original Ken leak had the timer at 2:30:00 as well. It looks like a debug mode thing. It actually supports the leak even more.
Maybe that is my bad, then, for saying the first mistake part. Still, those Mii costumes look too good to be modded, especially the Doom demon one. If it was fake I'd bet the leaker had a hard time making this.

D

Deleted member

Maybe that is my bad, then, for saying the first mistake part. Still, those Mii costumes look too good to be modded, especially the Doom demon one. If it was fake I'd bet the leaker had a hard time making this.
I bet the Grinch leaker had a hell of a time making that, too...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I bet the Grinch leaker had a hell of a time making that, too...
Not trying to be pessimistic, are you, and prove this is like the Grinch leak? Either way, it is possible that this could still be the Grinch leak 2.0, even though many leaks have been called that before, if you know what I mean.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I mean, before this leak, how were people chalking up Doom Slayer support? Belief of fake leaks. It's obvious in hindsight, but none of this was seemingly taken too seriously by most speculators.
Maybe not recently since all the evidence is a few months old at this point, but back when this stuff came out I remember a lot of discussion, even in this very thread.

Here’s me, over a hundred pages ago, disregarding Doomguy for exactly that reason: Bethesda being far too unsubtle about things.

A famous FPS rep in green armor.

Or, in other words, “Doomguy is quite likely, but I legitimately still think Master Chief has a chance, even after Banjo.”

Bethesda has been a bit too upfront about “We’ve talked about Smash and have special Nintendo stuff planned for later in the year”, in my opinion. The more they say something’s coming, the more that I start to doubt that a character actually is, especially with Nintendo’s strict Smash secrecy.

On the other hand, we had a bunch of sources earlier in the year say that we were getting Ori 1 and Halo: MCC on Switch, and as of a month or two ago one of those has happened... yet there’s been no word of the MCC. I could totally see them having that be a massive Game Awards announcement of some sort, and if it ends up tying into Smash, all the better.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If this is indeed real (everything, thus far, says it is) Kudos to the person who was able to share this with the world.

But also I would not want to be that person right now. Constantly running from the Nintenjas.

"Hyuck hyuck, Here's some costumes!"

Nintendo: "Oh...whats so funny?"

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If this is indeed real (everything, thus far, says it is) Kudos to the person who was able to share this with the world.

But also I would not want to be that person right now. Constantly running from the Nintenjas.
Just wondering, is there any escape from the Ninteninjas?

Apparently not.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Watching the video, the timer never moves. And it’s specifically at 2:30. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there’s no way to stop the timer, correct? It seems like it’d have to be in the debug menu to even make sense. So I’m not really sure if that’s a point against the leak tbh. Plus, I saw somebody in this thread mention that one of Ken’s attacks does more damage than in the current version of Smash? If true then I feel like the leaker has access to an update somehow. Honestly I’m just spitballing here and have no clue on the technical side of things, but these are making it seem real to me.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
So, besides the extremely obvious choice of 'Beware the Forest's Mushrooms', what other songs would you guys pick to accompany Geno and his stage?

I'm thinking:

• Fight Against Monsters
  • Still, The Road is Full of Dangers
  • Fight Against an Armed Boss
  • Grandpa and the Delightful Tadpoles
  • Rose Town
  • Slope
  • Fight Against Culex (wishful thinking since it's a song from FF4, but still)
  • Barrel Volcano
  • Fight Against Smithy
I'm thinking:
(of course it's forest maze)
Fight Against Monsters
Fight Against an Armed Boss
And My Name's Booster (remix including Slope)
Fight Against Smithy (remix including both phases)
Geno Awakens/Seeing Dreams through the Window of Stars
Fortune Street version of Mushroom Kingdom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom