• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Guys the Terry video isn’t coming tomorrow chill out. History and previous patterns say the earliest time to expect the video is next Tuesday or Wednesday (November 5 or 6)
If there is one thing anyone should know it's that patterns are never reliable. There was a pattern for only Nintendo characters, there was a pattern only for characters who aren't Cloud Strife or Joker from P5 etc etc. What I am trying to say is you cannot predict Sakurai and attempting to use patterns is one of the worst ways to do so although I highly doubt he'd release on the 1st or any closer anyway

D

Deleted member

If there is one thing anyone should know it's that patterns are never reliable. There was a pattern for only Nintendo characters, there was a pattern only for characters who aren't Cloud Strife or Joker from P5 etc etc. What I am trying to say is you cannot predict Sakurai and attempting to use patterns is one of the worst ways to do so although I highly doubt he'd release on the 1st or any closer anyway
It's a pretty consistent pattern, though. Nintendo usually announces a direct the day before it happens, which normally means they'll give us an announcement on Tuesday and the direct happens on Wednesday. Joker is so far the only character to not be discussed in a direct or some other major event, but even still, his "presentation" video dropped on, you guessed it, a Tuesday.

Terry's probably gonna come sooner rather than later just because Sword and Shield are gonna need a quiet release window.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
If it's true what Fatmanonice says about the post-FP characters, then I'm going to predict Geno, Travis Touchdown and Rayman as upcoming characters.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If Terry isn't out by the 1st then it begs the question of what SNK ip is going to be in smash by the time the event goes up. I mean as far as I'm aware they don't or possibly can't just throw that stuff around for hell of it and I don't recall any new spirits being announced.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It's a pretty consistent pattern, though. Nintendo usually announces a direct the day before it happens, which normally means they'll give us an announcement on Tuesday and the direct happens on Wednesday. Joker is so far the only character to not be discussed in a direct or some other major event, but even still, his "presentation" video dropped on, you guessed it, a Tuesday.

Terry's probably gonna come sooner rather than later just because Sword and Shield are gonna need a quiet release window.
Yeah I agree consistent patterns are worth putting some stovk into but I wouldn't put all stock into it. As for direct I'm guessing we may just get something like Hero and Banjo got whenever he releases. And yeah I also completely agree that Terry would come before Pokémon

D

Deleted member

If Terry isn't out by the 1st then it begs the question of what SNK ip is going to be in smash by the time the event goes up. I mean as far as I'm aware they don't or possibly can't just throw that stuff around for hell of it and I don't recall any new spirits being announced.
I mentioned yesterday afternoon (so about 10 pages ago now) that it is very likely this is just the first spirit event that they planned after officially adding SNK to the copyright list. It's all Tetris spirits, so why would Bamco be there? Square? Etc.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Have we ever gotten a character revealed on Friday? I don't think so. Everytime a newcomer was revealed it was always a Tuesday or a Wednesday in a Nintendo Direct so I don't expect to see fighter #5 on Friday because of this reason alone.

If it's true what Fatmanonice says about the post-FP characters, then I'm going to predict Geno, Travis Touchdown and Rayman as upcoming characters.
I'm calling Geno, Shantae, and Bandana Dee. Plus Isaac and Waluigi if Assist Trophies get promoted.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Have we ever gotten a character revealed on Friday? I don't think so. Everytime a newcomer was revealed it was always a Tuesday or a Wednesday in a Nintendo Direct so I don't expect to see fighter #5 on Friday because of this reason alone.

I'm calling Geno, Shantae, and Bandana Dee. Plus Isaac and Waluigi if Assist Trophies get promoted.
I'm fairly certain they said that it was just speculation

Firox

Smash Master
Far be it from Nintendo, a Japanese company, to care about a primarily European religious observance.
Fun, random fact: Latin America is actually more Catholic than Europe these days. The only staunch Catholic area of Europe today is the Vatican aka the capital city of Catholicism. Ironic, huh, considering that Europe was responsible for introducing Christianity to most of the world yet now most of the European union ignores or denounces it.

Just felt like throwing that out there as an interesting tid bit.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This pattern isn’t really a pattern as much as it is how Nintendo makes business decisions. Sakurai does not dictate the exact day that videos drop. Nintendo drops videos on Tuesdays and Wednesdays most of the time. Sometimes Thursdays. Mondays and Fridays are pretty much off limits for this type of thing

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I got up at 5am before work this morning to play Luigi's Mansion 3 and I didn't know how much I ABSOLUTELY NEEDED an E. Gadd running animation in my life.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I joined here a year ago! I can't believe it's been that long. Also tomorrow one year ago was the day hopes and dreams were crushed.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
This pattern isn’t really a pattern as much as it is how Nintendo makes business decisions. Sakurai does not dictate the exact day that videos drop. Nintendo drops videos on Tuesdays and Wednesdays most of the time. Sometimes Thursdays. Mondays and Fridays are pretty much off limits for this type of thing
Yeah probably correct. He almost certainly isn't coming till at earliest next week though

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Yo, just your usual thread lurker passing by here. I was never much of a forum goer myself, but I've been reading through you guys' conversations here since right before the SNK trademark slip up on Nintendo UK's website and I've been hooked since. So much has happened here in just that small timeframe between then and now it's astounding. To call Geno's saga (and Smash speculation in general, really) a rollercoaster is one hell of an understatement lmao. The constant sudden turns of events, not to mention the miscellaneous other discussions, always keep me coming back.

On the topic of Geno himself, I'll admit, I didn't get the chance to grow up with SMRPG as many of you must have, but I have known about and been intrigued about both for a long time. Throughout the years I've seen a multitude of people everywhere on the internet singing their praises, drawing fanart and sharing their memories of this one puppet boi and his game of origin, and being as much of a fan of the Mario series as I am, I had to check out what the fuss was all about sooner or later... and it turned out to be later Well, when the time came that I became more invested in Smash speculation after E3 2018 and the ****ing bombshell that was Ridley, I began to root for Geno the same way I did for everyone's favorite space pterodactyl beforehand. I just like seeing fan favorites like them making it even if I'm not personally attached to them, y'know? From there on I went to witness his rising popularity and expectation, the incessant leaks of varying credibility surrounding him, the entire Grinch fiasco and the Spirit deconfirmation ****show- uhhh, debate.

Then, in mid-December, I did it. I got around to playing SMRPG on my SNES mini after making sure I had access to all the first three Paper Mario games because I also really wanted to play/replay them following it. . Had a blast from start to finish, getting invested in its world, story and characters, listening to Yoko Shimomura's absolute banger of a soundtrack and even learning to like the turn based battle system I was kinda unsure if I'd really enjoy. And on top of that, I really appreciated how much it helped flesh the Mario universe with more personality and lore than any game in the franchise before, as well as starting a legacy of awesome RPGs set in the Mario franchise with the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series, both of which being in a rather sad state right now unfortunately.

And that's where Geno comes in. Much as I love the rest of the cast in the game, he really stood out. I feel I don't even need to explain why given how I'm probably in the largest concentration of Geno fanboys on the internet, but I'll do it anyway: he's a star being sent by a higher authority to put an end to the Smithy Gang's takeover of Mario's dimension and repair Star Road by possessing the coolest looking doll I've ever seen which has ****ING GUNS AND ROCKETS INSIDE HIS FINGERS AND HANDS!!! Yeah, I was won over.

All of that blended together made me want him in Smash about as badly as everyone else. My support of longstanding requests like him, my attachment to the character, however recent, his brilliant moveset potential and the prospect of more representation of this rad part of the Mario franchise that just doesn't get enough love in Smash imo. I rarely ever write freaking essays that are as long or elaborate as this, but I just really felt the urge to show my support lmao. Also, expect me to like and leave remarks here when I feel like it I guess.

Stay strong, Genobros, and here's to a bright future for our star warrior!

jk, this is all just a ruse. screw geno, rise up team mallow :drflip:
Hey welcome to the thread! Hopefully our crazy antics don't scare you off! I'm glad you decided to take the time to join the conversation.

Not to detract from all your great points but I think it's poignant to note that you were probably not alone in being a lurker but not someone who actively participated in speculation. As someone who also hasn't been speculating on forums for very long, I can't stress enough how important it is for us to understand that the opinions of the silent majority DO matter. It's something we've discussed in here before, but I think hearing from people who used to be a part of that large silent group should remind us that people who don't voice their opinions can still hold characters in high esteem and want their inclusion just as much as us who do voice our opinion. Just a quick PSA from your friendly neighborhood SpiritOfRuin.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I joined here a year ago! I can't believe it's been that long. Also tomorrow one year ago was the day hopes and dreams were crushed.
One year ago, I had to permanantly give up on my ten year dream of getting Shadow (or another Sonic character in general) into Smash. Still hurts, even to this day.

Firox

Smash Master
One year ago, I had to permanantly give up on my ten year dream of getting Shadow (or another Sonic character in general) into Smash. Still hurts, even to this day.
Yeah, I was pretty bummed to see Knuckles condemned to snowglobe hell. I mean, WTF, Nintendo? Sonic has a lot of awesome characters to offer that could easily fit the format of Smash Bros, yet they seemingly refuse to entertain it. We've got Mario v Sonic at the Olympic Games so I don't see why Nintendo/Sakurai feels the need to be stingy about adding any more Sonic representation.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
If we got all those characters I would lose my mind...in a good way. I don't even have any stake in Travis or played any of his games, but he makes sense.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I mentioned yesterday afternoon (so about 10 pages ago now) that it is very likely this is just the first spirit event that they planned after officially adding SNK to the copyright list. It's all Tetris spirits, so why would Bamco be there? Square? Etc.
The Tetris stuff started like a week ago this is the "swordsman spirits appearance rate up" thing. Either way the question is if they can invoke that where it doesn't apply and without being legal savy I can't really say. Eitherway we'll find out pretty soon so it doesn't really matter.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...y-like-the-wolf.142560/page-319#post-25968763

Oh yeah they updated the website files to show FP5 and at least two more DLC fighters. Pretty interesting that they're doing it now.
Oh wow. The fact that they updated it for two fighters and not more than that when we’ve been told we’re getting more content for at least a while and backend stuff implied at least 5 post-FP characters I’m now wondering if we’ll get a FP5 reveal with Terry and both 6 and 7 at TGA. I could maybe see 6 at TGA and 7 with 5 but if that were the case it’d be weird for them to upload the site this early on.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Hey welcome to the thread! Hopefully our crazy antics don't scare you off! I'm glad you decided to take the time to join the conversation.

Not to detract from all your great points but I think it's poignant to note that you were probably not alone in being a lurker but not someone who actively participated in speculation. As someone who also hasn't been speculating on forums for very long, I can't stress enough how important it is for us to understand that the opinions of the silent majority DO matter. It's something we've discussed in here before, but I think hearing from people who used to be a part of that large silent group should remind us that people who don't voice their opinions can still hold characters in high esteem and want their inclusion just as much as us who do voice our opinion. Just a quick PSA from your friendly neighborhood SpiritOfRuin.
Thanks! I know what to expect here from my time lurking around so I doubt I'll be scared off, but we'll see lol.

It's actually kinda funny to me to think of myself as someone who's part of the silent majority, but you're right in a way. I've been following speculation for over a year now, but I didn't make my voice heard much aside from making a few comments in social media that only a small group of people saw and voting on some polls here and there. And that's just me, I'm sure plenty of other peeps are even less vocal than that despite being as passionate. It's good to keep that in mind.

D

Deleted member

The Tetris stuff started like a week ago this is the "swordsman spirits appearance rate up" thing. Either way the question is if they can invoke that where it doesn't apply and without being legal savy I can't really say. Eitherway we'll find out pretty soon so it doesn't really matter.
Sorry, guess that shows how out of the loop I am, somehow I thought this was all about the Tetris event. Regardless, SNK is officially confirmed to be part of Smash bros now, so they can add them to the copyright info whenever they want before their characters are officially represented in the game, and have to after they're officially represented in the game - this is just as far as I know.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So what exactly just happened? From what I understand the two "website glitch" slots have finally made it in to the page proper but just looking at the site and that thread I can't really tell what is going on

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

The thing is though when people bring up the smash bubble/“”silent majority”” its to push the idea that the tastes of the majority of people who own Smash somehow greatly differ from what people in the “Smash bubble” want. But if anything this is an example of how there are people out there that aren’t really discussing Smash in a visible way that are backing “niche” characters like Geno that people wave off as being Smash bubble picks and supposedly not what the majority want. This is evidence that just because a person isn’t hooked into Smash speculation they can still appreciate and like non-mainstream character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was speculating Terry was releasing next week for a while to avoid Sword and Shield's release date, so I wouldn't be shocked if that turned out to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom