• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Hey, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
Sorry to tag you (I imagine you've been bombarded), but you have yet to address the recent Reimu in Smash speculation. You have talked about Ryu Hayabusa, Geno, and Crash... but not Reimu. What do you think is going on with the whole Touhou Project x Smash speculation?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to tag you (I imagine you've been bombarded), but you have yet to address the recent Reimu in Smash speculation. You have talked about Ryu Hayabusa, Geno, and Crash... but not Reimu. What do you think is going on with the whole Touhou Project x Smash speculation?
I believe he did say he hasn't heard anything about Reimu on his end

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
waterhasataste waterhasataste Did he say that? I must've missed that. This thread exploded today since I posted about the Reimu stuff this morning.

As an aside, is Touhou Project basically like the biggest indie franchise in Japan? Or is that not the right assessment? I don't know a lot about the franchise other than they are SCMUPs

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
waterhasataste waterhasataste Did he say that? I must've missed that. This thread exploded today since I posted about the Reimu stuff this morning.

As an aside, is Touhou Project basically like the biggest indie franchise in Japan? Or is that not the right assessment? I don't know a lot about the franchise other than they are SCMUPs
Yeah he said it here:

I'm not sure on the 2nd Question since I'm not knowledgeable on anything Touhou

Attachments

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
*sips* Ahhh...I got Joker, who was my pipe dream pick. Hero/DQ8, my favorite DQ got some exposure. And Banjo & Kazooie...the one I voted for during the Smash Ballot days. Honestly, I do not mind Terry. Reminds me of those days in my teens shoveling coins into the arcade box at a laundromat playing KoF. I played Ninja Gaiden on Xbox and loved it (Tough as hell...but fun). Geno...is for all of you guys and those who have fought for him for years. I played SMRPG because of this thread!

*sips again* This is good...isn't it?
I'd be lying if there wasn't a part of me that feels Isaac's absence, but given how things seems to be structured I think we can chalk this one up as a win. Joker shaping up to be my least favorite inclusion by itself speaks volumes. Getting solo/DQ4 playable in smash was a total pipedream and a childhood classic, honestly seeing solo and eight suddenly show up in the luminary trailer was the moment I really went all in emotionally speaking and without it I might not have followed speculation at all until the geno reveal happened. Banjo is a community win and when the fans win we all win as far as I'm concerned. Terry is someone I happen to know from his inclusion in all the other snk projects, tbh he's the one who should have been the fighting game rep in smash over ryu because of how much smash borrows mechanically from the kof games. I wasn't lucky enough to have a kof at our laundromat but we did have mortal kombat 2 and between that and house of the dead I probably sunk more change than I want to know. ninja gaiden was one of the many games I sorta knew about from word of mouth but never actually played until we got internet and I discovered the magic of emulation. The cinematography was incredible for a time where most games didn't even have cutscenes at all. if/when ryu gets in I'm definitely going to track down the revival trilogy because I always here good things about them. I may not have actively joined the fight for geno until ultimate but it would be incredible to see him go from a fan effort to breaking into the mainstream conscious to actually getting in with massive fanfare is incredible. I imagine it will have the effect on the other fanbases just like banjo did and probably more. Here's to a bright future for our boy because if not I'm planning on going down with the ship

as far as sales of the games its hard to say because of how its distributed and marketed. but as a media franchise I would say absolutely. I imagine far more bystanders would know about touhou from art or other fan works than the games themselves because bullet hell shooters are a very niche sub-genre of a genre thats pretty niche to begin with.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No idea. Today's been the first day that it's really been brought to my attention. Looking at the details, I'm not really sold and that seems to be the consensus. Number of things stick out, with a big one being 23 music tracks which would pretty much leave all the other DLC in the dust. There's only guy backing it too and their track record is entirely tied to Tohou so that makes it weird too.

D

Deleted member

If Touhou comes to Smash, I hope Master Chief comes in. I prefer characters that are much more associated with Nintendo, but Master Chief would be huge.

Plank08

Smash Lord
If Crash does make it in down the road, I hope he also comes with a Mii Costume of himself to reference the cheesy 90's commercials:
THAT IS ACTUALLY BRILLIANT! Also if Crash gets in I feel he should be the only character with a live action reveal trailer, it could be a Mix of the smash 64 commercial and the iconic live action crash

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No idea. Today's been the first day that it's really been brought to my attention. Looking at the details, I'm not really sold and that seems to be the consensus. Number of things stick out, with a big one being 23 music tracks which would pretty much leave all the other DLC in the dust. There's only guy backing it too and their track record is entirely tied to Tohou so that makes it weird too.
Would the song thing make a bit more sense with the fact that ZUN seems to allow pretty much anyone to use his songs in other projects with minimal requirements to do so?

Plank08

Smash Lord
Can't answer that but I will say that on my end that, aside from Geno, Ryu, and Crash (E3 or later in my opinion), there's probably about 4 others that have a decent shot based on who has said what, which is honestly a relief because it points to the next round not being as predictable as people originally envisioned.
So I’m not trying to look like one of those people who are thirsty for info, and you don’t have to tell us, but maybe after #5 are revealed you could tell us who those other 4 are? Maybe?
Is Sackboy one of them at least?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
THAT IS ACTUALLY BRILLIANT! Also if Crash gets in I feel he should be the only character with a live action reveal trailer, it could be a Mix of the smash 64 commercial and the iconic live action crash
I can see it now...

Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Mario and Yoshi are walking through the fields, when a Wumpa Fruit is fired into Yoshi's leg, tripping the dinosaur. Yoshi blames Mario for this, and the others try to tell Yoshi it's not Mario's doing, only for the four to get into an argument and fight. As they fight, Crash Bandicoot, in the form of the guy in a Crash costume, holding a Wumpa Bazooka he used on Yoshi, says, "That oughta teach them.". Costume Crash then turns into in-game Crash, and the splash title appears, reading "Crash Bashes the Competition!".

D

Deleted member

So I’m not trying to look like one of those people who are thirsty for info, and you don’t have to tell us, but maybe after #5 are revealed you could tell us who those other 4 are? Maybe?
Is Sackboy one of them at least?
I don’t think he can tell us because of the strict rules unless Sabi or the source gives the A OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
the main sticking point to me on the touhou leak thing is how they claimed the work on the music had been outsourced to various doujin groups instead of the smash music team or even ZUN, and that's just such a massive red flag to me.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
the main sticking point on the touhou leak thing is how they claimed the work on the music had been outsourced to various doujin groups instead of the smash music team or even ZUN, and that's just such a massive red flag to me.
They didn't exclude the possibility of ZUN or the Smash team working on this(They explicitly said they didn't know on the front of ZUN). It is a bit different though. Isn't ZUN known for his doujin connections?

Plank08

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just wondering: if Geno is somehow not any one of the future DLC characters for some reason, how will we all react?
Actually Pissed
I just want to say, if Geno gets into Ultimate I will likely play around with him as a fighter - BUT, one of the first and most important things to do with any great character (at least in my case) when entering the Smash experience is to take them out for a wonderful photoshoot:

Can you show us your other snapshots?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
They didn't exclude the possibility of ZUN or the Smash team working on this(They explicitly said they didn't know on the front of ZUN). It is a bit different though. Isn't ZUN known for his doujin connections?
they did but frankly that just makes it look worse to me if they can pinpoint it to a bunch of different touhou fans and call out 23 different pieces concretely but couldn't even say if ZUN or Sora ltd is still involved. Frankly I don't believe touhou is even on the table until ZUN changes his mind and decides to at least make or condone official localizations for non Japanese markets, so that ordinary consumers would at least have had the possible opportunity to discover the series without having to already be in the know, so I'm really not the best person to ask.

also as far as I'm aware he does have contacts among the fanbase that make stuff like the fighters but the music of the main games has been all his 100% and I don't see that changing. Actually chalk that up to another reason why this looks fishy

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
These days I've been thinking/theorizing "who made the Geno doll?". Thinking on how prior to the doll being possessed, it appeared to already have weapon-like properties (seen when Gaz uses Geno's "ultimate technique" on Mario), such a unique doll must have been made by a talented (if not genius) toy-maker. Wondering who within the Mushroom Kingdom/Mario Universe could perhaps fit the bill of a master craftsman, or more specifically a toy-maker (or actually, a robotics expert), I thought "what if it was Professor E. Gadd who created the Geno doll?". However, Professor E. Gadd was introduced years after SMRPG, which led me to think "or maybe... E. Gadd's father created the Geno doll".

Here's where my head-canon kicks in with regards to how the Geno doll came to be. Say that, during the time in which the plot of SMRPG took place, a genius craftsman had created his last project; it being a doll that curiously possessed weapon-like applications installed within its figure. However, this doll did not come as a mere epiphany to the master craftsman; it was a request made by a divine patron. As if foreseeing future events that would eventually come to pass, the craftsman was asked to create a special doll; one that would seem like a toy, but that had practical mechanisms with which to defend itself. Once the doll was complete, the craftsman was to notify this mysterious patron in order for it to pass onto it something. That "something" was actually a small amount of star energy that would aid ♥♪!? in the future when it would descend to possess the doll. The energy, once the doll were possessed by the star messenger, would unlock additional tools hidden within its body (Geno's special attacks), as well as allow it to modify certain parts (changing weapons with others that were also requested by the craftsman).
Ooo I've never thought about who created Geno before, and I like the idea you came up with. I just thought of a different theory for who created Geno if you want to check it out.
I believe Geno was created by Smithy himself. This would explain why Geno is so weaponized for a doll as all of Smithy's creations are based on weapons. Smithy created Geno to a be a secret weapon of his that would help him conquer the entire Mario universe. He maybe even designed the Geno doll to be powered by star energy which could be why he attacks Star Road. However, when Smithy pierces Star Road with Exor, the Geno doll accidentally falls out of Smithy's dimension (possibly due to the efforts of the ♥♪!? star spirit before Mario ever meets him) and lands in Rose Town where it is found by Gaz.

I like this idea of how Geno was created because it adds some more depth to the Geno-Smithy beef with the whole creation vs. creator thing.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
While giving the doll some great destiny sounds cool it really seems to me like it's just meant to be an action figure in a set of other well known people in the mario world, minus the star powers ♡♪!? gives it scale it down to toy size and the pellet weapons don't really seem that strange beyond being a poorly safety tested tie-in merch like so many others in real life

Which does raise the question, who the **** is geno?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To bring back a topic from awhile ago I personally think Geno's chances are 55/45 slightly more towards him getting in but he still has a few hurdles he'll need to pass through such as:

-The Mii Costume returning or not (sure it doesn't seem like it will but I'm not going to write off the slight chance of a total blindside and that it will return with Terry or FP 5)

-Spirits and if they disconfirm or not (I'm more open to them not disconfirming but I won't be sure until either Geno gets in or a Spirit character gets upgraded)

and

-Square-Enix and if they would want to choose Geno (I don't think they would be opposed to Geno getting in necessarily but they may have their priorities on other characters such as 2B or another FF character like Septhiroth sure they may seem unlikely but we don't know their priorities exactly)

Otherwise if he can get through 2/3 if not 3/3 of those hurdles especially those first two I think Geno would be practically 90-99% in.

Also welcome back Fatmanonice Fatmanonice nice to see you're doing well!

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Indeed! Welcome back Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ! I'm glad that your absence was for good reasons. Good luck with the conventions!

Just dropping in to ask you guys what you think of Isaac's chances for the post fighters pass next year? I am still supporting Geno strongly as he is my #1 and my ballot vote, but Isaac is my close 2nd and with Golden Sunday coming up next week, Its just something I was curious about. Are his chances looking good to you geno bros or do you think he is a done deal as an AT?
I know posts from this morning are like like 20 pages back at this point, but as an Isaac fan, I have to reply to this. As others have said, I think Isaac is pretty unlikely. The lack of a game coming out means Nintendo has little reason to include him outside fan demand, which they underestimated.

That being said, I think that given the general negative reaction to him being an assist trophy, I think if Nintendo keeps going with DLC and goes straight for 100% fan request picks, I think Isaac (or Felix or Matthew) is high on that list of possibilities. Unfortunately, I'd rate that chance 1 in 10 at the best. If we go for a third year of DLC, I think he's pretty likely.

D0ct0r

Smash Cadet
I haven't been on the thread in a while, has there been any new leaks or anything relating to Geno?

link2702

Smash Champion
Glad to see you’re ok Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , some of us started to worry if everything was ok since you just up and vanished shortly after terry’s reveal. We all know Work can be a nightmare whenever it’s your busy season (whenever that season is, mine has always been the spring months), especially if you also have other things planned on top of it, Just the timing and all of when you left kinda had some of us wondering if things were ok.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Can you show us your other snapshots?
I'd love to but I have a heckton of shots and I don't wanna flood this place, however I do have this wonderful narrative of Wolf stealing adopting a cat and naming her mittens.

"Hey has anybody seen my kitten-"
"MINE."

"Don't worry, Mittens...I won't let the bad man get you anymore."

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Same as a month and a half ago, pretty good. Even without this current situation, I think he's well on the radar, especially since it was recently revealed that Yoko Shimomura's next public concert (if it hasn't already happened) is going to feature newly remixed SMRPG music. Point is that it's on people's thoughts and I still assert that Geno not being a Mii costume with Hero was an enormous boon for his chances.
Can someone confirm this!? I knew I forgot to ask about something. I am interested to see where this concert is going to be.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
So wait, what SMRPG songs are being played?
Site doesn't say; the track list just has placeholder slots for "Super Mario RPG" and "Mario & Luigi RPG 3" (Bowser's Inside Story).

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I'm chill with Reimu, but with that said, I have to call fake on this one. The highest amount of songs we got with a DLC character was, like... what, between 10-11 songs? The songs here are about ~23. That is a LOT of music to drop with a character, an amount I'd personally deem unrealistic until something happens to break the pattern. We've never gone beyond 10-11 new songs, so for that amount to suddenly double is baffling.

Considering some of the music choices for some DLC characters, too (no Life Will Change for Joker, MIDIs for Hero), as well as music even in the base game (lol Cloud), Reimu coming with 23 songs would just be a breeding ground for backlash. I wouldn't say that'd lessen the chances of this being real (even though the song amount makes me call fake), but it does spell out bad news if it ended up happening. I can already imagine the complaints that'd start rolling in...
I'm very late to respond to this, but something important to note is that music costs money to put in Smash. The reason not even Joker or Banjo came with many songs is because it costs a lot of money to get the rights to music. Since ZUN is an indie developer, there's a chance he'd just want as much music in as he can get, not caring to get paid for it as much in favor of more representation or something.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I got a little theory on the mii leak. So if this leak is true Geno could potentially get 4 costumes witch is the same amount as hero. Those costumes being mallow, smithy, chocabo hat, and potentially the return of the geno mii. Its probably a coincidence but its something I thought about. Also one more thing I found really interesting. I went back and rewatched the mii costumes for smash 4 and notised something weird. The Geno and chocabo costumes were in a different video from the other outfits in the last smash 4 presentation. Also thinking about it cloud got released on the same day as geno and chocabo while the others were released a mouth or so later. Maybe this could mean square wanted all these coustmes to be together and did not want to be released on the same day as the other ones. Kinda like with hero. Again this probably means nothing but I thought I share these little theorys/things i found out.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Is this the first time Mario RPG music has been officially orchestrated? If so, can't wait to hear the orchestrated arrangements
There was a previous album "Memoria: the Best of Yoko Shimomura". It included two Geno centric SMRG songs:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm very late to respond to this, but something important to note is that music costs money to put in Smash. The reason not even Joker or Banjo came with many songs is because it costs a lot of money to get the rights to music. Since ZUN is an indie developer, there's a chance he'd just want as much music in as he can get, not caring to get paid for it as much in favor of more representation or something.
Yeah; from what I’ve gathered between what people have said and the fact there are apparently localized fangames of Touhou on the eShop, and ZUN himself wants it in Smash, he seems very lax with his IP and so the Smash team could very well get a bunch of music from him easily, if he even cares about being paid much.

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
How extremely interesting would it be if Yoko Shimomura just so happened to play the Mario RPG scores that were taken down on Youtube? :goomba:

ZelDan

Smash Master
If Touhou comes to Smash, I hope Master Chief comes in. I prefer characters that are much more associated with Nintendo, but Master Chief would be huge.
maybe they could Announce Reimu and Master Chief in the same direct. It'd basically be a more extreme version of the Hero/Banjo reveal last E3 (ie the "eastern and western" duo reveal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom