• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im not giving the box theory any clout either.

the smash direct has to be about...what, at LEAST 30 minutes long? does the single player mode really need THAT much time to be explained? do we need to see the entire length of all the assist trophies? do small character changes need to be dragged out that long? is online mode THAT radically different from last time? and then we'd only get 1 new character? puh-lease.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We can't prove or disprove it. So I don't really think there is any reason to worry that much about it.

Just continue as normal and keep it in the the back of your mind in case we do get more evidence.

zack4812

Smash Apprentice
Something about the box theory made me rethink everything about how I might be expecting too many new characters. Until now I assumed there would be 3 to 4 more fighters and around 2 to 4 more echoes, but at this point 2 more fighters seems extremely likely now with one being a pokemon and the other (hopefully) being Geno. I was pretty much convinced for Banjo to be the final reveal until tonight when I started to think I set my expectations too high because of the chances of him actually happening. I guess that's what I get for looking too close in these speculation threads, last thing I want is to be disappointed from an essentially perfect game. Those early reveals like K Rool and Ridley really got my hype to an all time high so I just began assuming the final direct will be all time crazy extravaganza with characters like Banjo having a chance. It still could happen but I dont wanna disappoint myself if it doesn't. With that being said, I still believe Geno will happen as a fighter. He's one of the 3 iconic 'never evers' with Ridley and K Rool, so it's finally his time! Here's hoping for the best.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
I just realized that I am not on the list of supporters! If all I need to do is request it, consider that request made! SMRPG is my favorite game of all time, and I have been all in for Geno since I heard people actually wanted him back in the Brawl days.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This thead seems to have hit the nail on the head, by and large. The box theory is nonsense; it's a digital mockup that doesn't even have every currently confirmed character featured on it, and treating that as gospel as to how many reveals are left is just silly and I can't believe this theory has even gained as much traction as it has. Hard ignore on this one.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't put much stock into the box theory either but it's definitely something to keep in mind. Plus, like Psycho said Geno is popular enough to get in as DLC, and I feel like this time DLC is planned from the beginning making it likely it's just around the corner after release.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'd be completely willing to discount the box theory too and go back to being optimism about 4-ish newcomers if it wasn't for the Korrin thing.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
what "korrin" thing? is this a new development concerning the box theory? :?:
I doubt i'd do a good job of explaining but basically, all characters on the side of the box are alternating groups of 9 in a very specific pattern. But Korrin got pushed out of the group that they would have fallen into. A very weird detail that implies there's an echo fighter in the other group, most people are thinking Ken, since Ryu is the most viable character to get an Echo in that group.

If it wasn't for all fo this, I would have just assumed the box was a meaningless mockup that indicates nothing.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I doubt i'd do a good job of explaining but basically, all characters on the side of the box are alternating groups of 9 in a very specific pattern. But Korrin got pushed out of the group that they would have fallen into. A very weird detail that implies there's an echo fighter in the other group, most people are thinking Ken, since Ryu is the most viable character to get an Echo in that group.

If it wasn't for all fo this, I would have just assumed the box was a meaningless mockup that indicates nothing.

ok NOW I see it. yeah, that is troubling.
or we could be incredibly lucky and get 8 new characters :grin:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
ok NOW I see it. yeah, that is troubling.
or we could be incredibly lucky and get 8 new characters :grin:
It is possible that the original 8 are not on the side of the box, seeing as they're featured prominently on the front and likely the back as well, leaving not 2 but 10 characters left. This is similar to how the boxart of Melee was set up, seeing as how starting characters not featured in the battle were given tiny squares.

The only problem becomes, where would Dark Samus go? Echos are featured next to their base fighter, so not having the original 8 would leave her oddly displaced. Even in this scenario, the final retail version could have an additional row with altered box proportions to account for the change. They could also have additional characters on the back of the box. I'm still not convinced they would allow the final newcomer total to be spoiled so easily. This may not

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I think we're getting pretty desperate when we start saying the Smash roster is going to be limited by how many characters fit on the side of a box

NukeA6

Smash Master

is Geno a Luma?
Yup and he was the greatest of them all but before his life was over, he passed on his powers to Rosalina. Seriously, something on that level would be pretty good for the Mario lore. I already liked the theory of her being the child of Luigi and Peach from the future.

domriver

Smash Lord
I think we're getting pretty desperate when we start saying the Smash roster is going to be limited by how many characters fit on the side of a box
yeah i dont believe in this box theory. it can always be adjusted / modified when the FINAL version comes out. Like i said in the general thread its just a here how it looks right now situation.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fun Fact: Geno's now older than the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch when they got into Melee, Pit into Brawl, and roughly the same age as ROB when it got into Brawl. Geno hits a weird sweet spot of being a Mario, third party, and retro pick. Ha ha, what a great piece of trivia, right guys? Uh, hmm...

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
You know, I strangely want to see Peachette make it into the RPG games and have the idea play a major role. Idk, I just think there is some good potential in the idea of having another Peach, and the possible differences between the two versions. Like, do the toads have any political loyalty to Peachette over Peach? Would there be different toad factions? Toadette's seem very rare(Or heck, there might be just one), so is this some Combee/Vespiquen situation? I might be thinking harder about this than I should.
The stories in basically any non-rpg mario game are so bad/basic that we'll never get anything even close to that

Also, anyone who has been around for any amount of time should know that _______ theories are a dime a dozen and never an actual thing

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Peachette thing is such a mind-**** that it's hard to even know where to begin with it. In the first game it very heavily implied that the Toads were cursed humans but now 33 years have passed, Bowser has been defeated numerous times (including multiple deaths), and they still haven't changed back. The fact that there's Toad kids means there's a whole generation that doesn't even know that they're supposed to be human and that they've just kind of accepted it. It's pretty messed up when you start to dig into the implications of it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm really disappointed in PushDustin for giving this 'theory' so much credibility and acknowledgement. It drags down speculation and I feel like he should take his position as someone people listen to a lot more seriously.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's not that much of a downer when you consider that DLC is practically inevitable. Most of the last big requests like Isaac, Banjo, and Geno are characters that fans would empty their wallets for and Nintendo damn well knows it. Nintendo taking advantage of this wouldn't surprise me at all.

BrashCandicoot

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-0606-3457
Switch FC
SW-2362-2833-3327
I still think Geno has a good chance of being the last newcomer to be revealed, since it makes sense because he's one of if not the most wanted newcomers for Smash.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm sticking to my guns that the Geno is going to be revealed to close out the next Smash Direct.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as the remaining newcomers are left, my mind and gut are saying 5-6 at most remaining unique newcomers and 3-4 echo fighters. Considering how much time it takes to make a wholly unique fighter, it will no doubt be less than the 15 unique fighters we got in the base roster for Smash 4. Factoring in that echo fighters take significantly less time to work on top of that, I think 10-11 will be the total unique fighters as both Smash 4 and Ultimate had about the same of development time with the roster for 4 finalized in 2012 and the roster for Ultimate was likely finalized in early 2016.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I'm not an actual fan of Geno (I never played SMR), but I do think he's awesome and has the best chance of getting in for similar reasons as to how KKR and Ridley got in.

Just stopping by to say if Verge is right, the Box Art Theory is wrong.

The Box Art Theory suggests there are two more characters left to be revealed. Verge said there are atleast three: 1. Gen 7 Pokemon rep 2. Square rep 3. Ken.

Otherwise, I'd be shocked if Geno isn't in.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I’m saying 3 uniques 3 echoes. I’m going to 100% believe Vergeben’s main source at this point. People saying “oh he’s not sure if there’s actually a Square rep therefore box theory confirmed” aren’t reading what he’s saying. He’s as confident in a new square character as he was in Simon getting in, he’s just getting his facts straight on who it is.

Incineroar, Geno, probably Banjo

Ken, Shadow, whatever

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm currently going to believe the box theory and Verg to keep myself in check

Optimistically, my roster predictions are: Incineroar and Ken are the final fighters with Geno being revealed as DLC

MattX20

Smash Hero
I belive the box theory is complete nonsense as pointed out that multiple characters on the side are missing and that the other side would likely be a repeat. Plus, it wouldn't address other noteworthy characters from the ballot days like Bandana Dee, Shantae, and Isaac.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I belive the box theory is complete nonsense as pointed out that multiple characters on the side are missing and that the other side would likely be a repeat. Plus, it wouldn't address other noteworthy characters from the ballot days like Bandana Dee, Shantae, and Isaac.
1536987433797.png

Here's how it would look. I don't see how any characters are missing

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
My stance is box theory is nonsense and I don’t lose anything if I’m wrong.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I’m not worried about Banjo or Geno, as it’s entirely possible they couldn’t navigate all the legal hoops in time for base game and one or both of them will be teased in November like Mewtwo was. I mostly object to the box theory on the idea that there’s no way Shadow isn’t an Echo.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I feel that Geno may end up in the same situation as Mewtwo in Smash 4.
If he doesn't make it to base game, this is exactly what I think.

Optimism for Geno being in the game at all is rising

I honestly think the box art theory hurts Geno's chances less than other characters

Especially if Ken or Incineroar are revealed

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I’m not worried about Banjo or Geno, as it’s entirely possible they couldn’t navigate all the legal hoops in time for base game and one or both of them will be teased in November like Mewtwo was. I mostly object to the box theory on the idea that there’s no way Shadow isn’t an Echo.
If this is the case. Both would be great since unlike Sm4sh DLC. There'd be no drawbacks.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Have you guys seen the blog of the week theory? It might hold some water.

"Each week, on the Smash Blog, they present three characters (a "Today's fighter post) on average. Week 1 refers to the June 12 week, Week 26 to the final week (December 7).
We are currently on week 14. We had only 2 characters last week, if my prediction is correct, this week or the next we'll get 4 Today's fighter posts.
If they keep this trend we'll end up with 78 fighters, which would also fill the Fighters's page correctly"

Attachments

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't really think the blog holds much weight. It just makes me think of the Smash Dojo days, and how updates slowed down severely when the game was closer to launch.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
It is possible that the original 8 are not on the side of the box, seeing as they're featured prominently on the front and likely the back as well, leaving not 2 but 10 characters left. This is similar to how the boxart of Melee was set up, seeing as how starting characters not featured in the battle were given tiny squares.

The only problem becomes, where would Dark Samus go? Echos are featured next to their base fighter, so not having the original 8 would leave her oddly displaced. Even in this scenario, the final retail version could have an additional row with altered box proportions to account for the change. They could also have additional characters on the back of the box. I'm still not convinced they would allow the final newcomer total to be spoiled so easily. This may not
This has been my thinking as well. expecially since they have been using the 8 for A LOT of the games marketing. dark samus could be on the back if they wanted to talk about echo fighters in the details on the back of the box. 10 feels like a bit much. can't really see us getting that much more. but there could be some empty space left on the other side for other things that might need to be on the box. warning labels, company names, etc. heck what if the blank space we see on this side actually is just blank space?

but as others have mentioned I believe Vergeben has become our white Knight in these dark times. if he is sure about 3 more characters being in that is enough to slay this boxed monster!

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe people are still wasting their time on this box art. Nintendo isn't exactly known for its brilliant advertising, but a blunder as simple as this seems far fetched. Hell, it looks like 2 newcomers are left even if you don't analyze the pattern deeply. Geno is in the base game, I'm practically certain at this point. A gratuitous Pokemon pick and an echo for 2 1/2 months just makes zero sense given the advertising campaign the game has had so far. Hype would slow to a crawl

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't believe people are still wasting their time on this box art. Nintendo isn't exactly known for its brilliant advertising, but a blunder as simple as this seems far fetched. Hell, it looks like 2 newcomers are left even if you don't analyze the pattern deeply. Geno is in the base game, I'm practically certain at this point. A gratuitous Pokemon pick and an echo for 2 1/2 months just makes zero sense given the advertising campaign the game has had so far. Hype would slow to a crawl
We can't prove it true or false. It's just something to keep in the back of your mind as we get more information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom