• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
The Sans Mii costume is probably the best one out there since you straight up look exactly like him ... not just a Mii wearing a costume. That in itself is a huge deal and head nod to both the character and Undertale in general.
I also like the possible logic behind it: Sans being included as a Mii Costume could be seen as him being too lazy to come up with his own unique moveset so he just copies the moveset of someone else. This is further emphasised by how the costume looks the least fake out of all the Mii Fighter costumes.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Since Sans is a mii fighter, do you think it's possible to see Freddy Fazbear as a mii fighter too?

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Since Sans is a mii fighter, do you think it's possible to see Freddy Fazbear as a mii fighter too?
I was literally thinking to myself last night about where or not we're due to eventually see the whole Freddy Fazbear band as a bunch of Mii Brawlers or something. I don't think it's super likely, but honestly? The whole costume thing fits that almost too well, and I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest.

EDIT: Going farther down the rabbit hole, the sheer thought of sticking a Sans head on top of a Freddy suit has knocked me through the floor.

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace
FNaF was an incredibly popular indie game worldwide so I don't see why not. Heck while we're at it the actual Chuck E. Cheese band they're based off is unironically possible at this point.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Woof, bringing up FNaF now. I can see mask of the main four animatronics being released and if anything for a complete Mii Costume I got to say Springtrap.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I have never actively rooted against a character until today.

I kid, I kid. But I'm genuinely not interested in fnaf in smash.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm starting to get flashbacks to the base game when we all thought Geno was a lock. I've never been more hopeful and terrified in my life.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to get flashbacks to the base game when we all thought Geno was a lock. I've never been more hopeful and terrified in my life.
Same. The main emotion I felt at the announcement was releif. Now I'm just anxious, because we don't know what they're planning yet.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The Sans Mii costume is probably the best one out there since you straight up look exactly like him ... not just a Mii wearing a costume. That in itself is a huge deal and head nod to both the character and Undertale in general.
To add, Mii Gunner's Final Smash kinda comes close to Sans giant lasers.

Regarding the last fighter left to reveal in the current Fighters Pass, and the additional ones coming afterwards, I think Fighter #5 could actually end up being Doom Slayer. Reason why I believe this is because, aside the DOOM games released for the Nintendo Switch (and the two that are upcoming), seeing the current Pass' selection, Doom Slayer fits the criteria of being a character from a series that pioneered a game genre, has history in gaming in general, and is owned by a third party company. With the exception of Joker from Persona 5; Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry Bogard each represent games that have been pioneers to some of gamings genres, or mechanics or features within said genres.

In regards to the additional fighters, I do hope they organize them into a second Fighters Pass (Season 2), AND, it'd be interesting to see them release a Bonus dlc fighter that would be Free for a limited time for those who pre-purchase the second Fighters Pass. However... this bonus pre FP2 dlc fighter might end up being a trolly first party character like Piranha Plant. Though, I trust Sakurai could make it interesting. OR, they could straight up make Geno the free bonus pre FP2 dlc fighter (making him Fighter #76 following official roster numbering; #83 counting total individual characters). Now as for the FP2 characters, the ones I believe could end up happening, if Sakurai is going with the idea of pleasing the fans (as stated in the Banjo & Kazooie presentation), would be:

-Ryu Hayabusa
-an indie character (Shantae, or Quote)
-Dante
-Crash Bandicoot
-Rayman
-a Namco rep (Heihachi, Lloyd, or... Klonoa?:nifty:)
-Sora

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I have not played minecraft, so I am personally indifferent to it.

The one point to me is initially "Steve" was just the avatar and got a name and "characterized" later with Minecraft's popularity.

But again, my thoughts are meaningless since I have not played it myself and I know it's very popular. The concept is great.
On the topic of Steve, i’d say he’s also surprisingly likely at this point. Banjo got 5 Mii Costumes and not one of them was a Microsoft character. Seeing all the “Sans Undertale v. Steve Minecraft”, it’s interesting that Sans got the Mii Costume treatment yet Steve didn’t. There’s also Verge’s lingering “Minecraft content”

RingJ5

Smash Ace
at this point I couldn't believe it to be anything but coincidence but until a costume shows up it's still a possibility
Ah, that brings me back. Remember when Hitagi heavily, heavily implied that he actually saw proof as definitive as a character model for Steve? That sure aged well.

Firox

Smash Master
So I guess one of the pluses of getting Terry Bogard is that it blows all previous "leaks" out of the water. We'd heard rumor of Doomslayer, Ryu H, Steve, etc. but so far, none of those have come to pass. That's not to say they couldn't happen, but it means that fighter #5 could be almost anything.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So I guess one of the pluses of getting Terry Bogard is that it blows all previous "leaks" out of the water. We'd heard rumor of Doomslayer, Ryu H, Steve, etc. but so far, none of those have come to pass. That's not to say they couldn't happen, but it means that fighter #5 could be almost anything.
I think Doomslayer is just one of those perfect "fake leak" reps, because of the Bethesda interview that, in reality, likely means nothing. He's the perfect character for a fake leaker to put in because he sounds reasonable. That's the only reason we've heard him so much I think.

Ryu is possible, but I think he might be in the same boat as Doomslayer. He just SEEMS like the kind of character that should be in, there's no real evidence for him.

Again, I think we should try to find characters/series/games that Sakurai really enjoys, because that could point to fighter 5. Obviously we know he likes Geno, but there might be other games he talked about before that he'd want to put in. This fighter pass definitely seems like a "Sakurai's choice" kind of pass.

Firox

Smash Master
On a somewhat random note, did anyone else think it was hilariously sad how that one guy in Terry's reveal straight up threw himself off a building for the smash letter? One second he's smirking like he's gonna get it, the next he's plummeting to his death. "I never learned how to read!" I mean, what was he gonna do even if he DID get the letter? "Yay! I get to be in Smaaaaa—" (splat)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think Doomslayer is just one of those perfect "fake leak" reps, because of the Bethesda interview that, in reality, likely means nothing. He's the perfect character for a fake leaker to put in because he sounds reasonable. That's the only reason we've heard him so much I think.
He honestly put Carmack on a high pedestal in the recent past, so I would NOT be surprised if we closed off with the Doom Marine. Ryu is a big part of gaming history, too, and I'm sure Sakurai has nothing but love for Ninja Gaiden. I wouldn't count those two out at all.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Don't you say that. Don't ever say that. :sadeyes:
I'm not saying he's a bad character. I kinda hate FPS's that aren't TF2 or Splatoon, but I wouldn't be mad if he got in. If any FPS rep deserves a slot it's probably him. I'm just saying he's the perfect character to put in a fake leak, because he's believable.

P47

Smash Apprentice
On a somewhat random note, did anyone else think it was hilariously sad how that one guy in Terry's reveal straight up threw himself off a building for the smash letter? One second he's smirking like he's gonna get it, the next he's plummeting to his death. "I never learned how to read!" I mean, what was he gonna do even if he DID get the letter? "Yay! I get to be in Smaaaaa—" (splat)
Death, taxes, and Geese falling off buildings

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's Geese Howard - he falls off of his own tower every couple of years. (besides, depending on the canon, he survives that fall)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Again, I think we should try to find characters/series/games that Sakurai really enjoys, because that could point to fighter 5. Obviously we know he likes Geno, but there might be other games he talked about before that he'd want to put in. This fighter pass definitely seems like a "Sakurai's choice" kind of pass.
Games he loves...?

oh yeah, it's all coming together Steve.png

I think he'd only happen in pass 2, though.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm not saying he's a bad character. I kinda hate FPS's that aren't TF2 or Splatoon, but I wouldn't be mad if he got in. If any FPS rep deserves a slot it's probably him. I'm just saying he's the perfect character to put in a fake leak, because he's believable.
While that's true I wouldn't really put Doomguy and Ryu on even footing in terms of evidence. Bethesda having actually had conversations with Sakurai is way different than some random 4chan leaks and rumors among insiders. The strongest evidence Ryu had going into the direct was the text post of the trailer description for Terry. Without that the only thing he has going for him is the rumor. But remember that Lloyd from Tales was heavily rumored 6 months ago and up until a bit after E3. Now that's pretty much dried up. I'd put the Bethesda meeting up there with Microsoft meeting with Nintendo at E3 as was told to papagenos along with the Phil Spencer comment on twitter.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
While that's true I wouldn't really put Doomguy and Ryu on even footing in terms of evidence. Bethesda having actually had conversations with Sakurai is way different than some random 4chan leaks and rumors among insiders. The strongest evidence Ryu had going into the direct was the text post of the trailer description for Terry. Without that the only thing he has going for him is the rumor. But remember that Lloyd from Tales was heavily rumored 6 months ago and up until a bit after E3. Now that's pretty much dried up. I'd put the Bethesda meeting up there with Microsoft meeting with Nintendo at E3 as was told to papagenos along with the Phil Spencer comment on twitter.
The Bethesda comment was specifically "if they had spoken to Nintendo," and not Sakurai, and their response was "Oh yeah." I wouldn't call that as extreme evidence by any means. I'm sure PLENTY of game companies have done the same thing.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to drop by to show my support for Geno. Whenever Sakurai mentioned even more DLC fighters were coming after FP #5 I immediately thought of Geno. If they truly are putting in fun fan favorites, then in Geno's case it's just a matter of when at this point. Just hold on a little longer

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The Bethesda comment was specifically "if they had spoken to Nintendo," and not Sakurai, and their response was "Oh yeah." I wouldn't call that as extreme evidence by any means. I'm sure PLENTY of game companies have done the same thing.
Right, but a meeting around the time DLC was being planned out is a different level of suspicion than random 4chan ""leaks" that have been deconfirmed and random hearsay. I just don't really see them in the same spot at this point.

D

Deleted member

Terry threw him from there

Despite liking how they implemented the Sans costume, I realized something: I hate how the Mii Gunner actually plays. Especially in the context of Geno I don't think the Gunner works. Geno is supposed to be a faster glass cannon type, and the Mii Gunner feels like they're absolutely stuck in molasses when you try to do anything with them. I hadn't really touched Miis a whole lot because I just didn't have much interest, but again, Sans brought me to trying them out and I don't like the moves all that much either, so it's just...

Please make Geno an actual character and not just a Mii costume, I can't stand the way the Mii Gunner plays in Ultimate and wouldn't enjoy any time with the Mii costume because of that.
I bought Geno's Mii costume in 4 because I wanted to show that I'll put my money where my mouth is, but I agree with this point. I never played a Gunner with the costume on, and outside of like... uair, I don't think Mii Gunner fits him at all. The Mii Fighters being nothing but really sloppily put together movesets from various characters is fitting, but not when it turns into an analogue for characters not represented in the roster. It isn't speed or height or weight that puts me off about it, it's purely the moves.

This does make me think about something that I fear every now and again: what if the actual Geno doesn't fit your playstyle? Like, you just can't wrap your head around what it takes to really enjoy him?

Firox

Smash Master
It's Geese Howard - he falls off of his own tower every couple of years. (besides, depending on the canon, he survives that fall)
ROFL You mean to tell me that he does that on the regular?! And survives?! That's pretty BA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom