• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The Sans Mii costume is probably the best one out there since you straight up look exactly like him ... not just a Mii wearing a costume. That in itself is a huge deal and head nod to both the character and Undertale in general.
This is why I'm thrilled about Sans' Mii costume compared to, say, Geno's. Sans' not only came with some music, but it also LOOKS LIKE HIM. You don't have to rely on a Mii face to 'simulate' the Sans experience. You've GOT it. Geno's costume, however, is plagued forever by the lack of a 'helmet'. If Geno can't become playable, if they upgrade his Mii costume like that, I'd be satisfied. Seriously.

... I'll still prefer playable Geno, of course, but you know... :drflip:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Backtrack.png

How much back can a Vergeben track if a Vergeben could backtrack?

Miles

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This is why I'm thrilled about Sans' Mii costume compared to, say, Geno's. Sans' not only came with some music, but it also LOOKS LIKE HIM. You don't have to rely on a Mii face to 'simulate' the Sans experience. You've GOT it. Geno's costume, however, is plagued forever by the lack of a 'helmet'. If Geno can't become playable, if they upgrade his Mii costume like that, I'd be satisfied. Seriously.

I mirror this

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From now on, I'm going to have an important update/ News/ poll section or whatever the current topic is

Just follow the dancing Banana in the OP

emote.gif

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The Sans Mii costume is probably the best one out there since you straight up look exactly like him ... not just a Mii wearing a costume. That in itself is a huge deal and head nod to both the character and Undertale in general.
The only one that came close to that is Skull Kid Mii Costume. Also the Mii Costume is the best fit for Sans because it hard to implement how he fights as a smash character. I just can't see how they could do, and when it comes to third party characters Sakurai usually doesn't want to take too much liberty in making new moves like he would for characters like Star Fox and Captain Falcon. I fully believe that this is the best compromise to including someone from Undertale, but just because I believe that doesn't mean it's impossible to make characters like Sans or Frisk playable... I just don't have the knowledge for that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

As someone who's most wanted character was an Undertale rep, I'm really happy with the Sans costume. Of course, I'm a bit disappointed that my most wanted essentially got de-confirmed, but at the same time, it feels like he's playable. I can watch someone play as Sans in Smash and it looks like he's actually there. That in itself means a lot to me.

On the subject of the Geno costume, I will say that it was one of my favorites in Smash 4 because it produced a similar effect, but in a different way. While the head was always imperfect, the overall costume and playstyle of the Mii Gunner fit Geno perfectly. It took more squinting than with Sans, but I could dress up my Mii as Geno and feel like I was (almost) playing as him.

All that is to say if we don't get Geno himself, I hope they at least have the decency to bring his costume back, preferably upgraded with a proper helmet. Even if it's only illusory, a well-executed illusion can produce very real emotions.

D

Deleted member

All that is to say if we don't get Geno himself, I hope they at least have the decency to bring his costume back, preferably upgraded with a proper helmet. Even if it's only illusory, a well-executed illusion can produce very real emotions.
Real emotions like unending anger.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
"People have been mostly against Minecraft in Smash."

Woo boy, this guy needs to look at other websites more.
I can't understand why he hangs out on that site of all sites. They are obsessed and hate him. Granted, 75% of topics there are trolls or hoping for salt on anything.

That's the place where dumb fan rules are born.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
While the geno mii costume was moderately acceptable, for me it'll never feel complete until I can bust out a big fat geno beam.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Excellent piece of pixel artwork! If you have a chance and have not done so, please send a message to smashultimatedlc@gmail.com for your support for Geno! Include the pixel art as well! We want clean and respectable messages that will go to all three parties involved for Smash! Thanks!
What is that email for?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Despite liking how they implemented the Sans costume, I realized something: I hate how the Mii Gunner actually plays. Especially in the context of Geno I don't think the Gunner works. Geno is supposed to be a faster glass cannon type, and the Mii Gunner feels like they're absolutely stuck in molasses when you try to do anything with them. I hadn't really touched Miis a whole lot because I just didn't have much interest, but again, Sans brought me to trying them out and I don't like the moves all that much either, so it's just...

Please make Geno an actual character and not just a Mii costume, I can't stand the way the Mii Gunner plays in Ultimate and wouldn't enjoy any time with the Mii costume because of that.

Dynamic Worlok

Despite liking how they implemented the Sans costume, I realized something: I hate how the Mii Gunner actually plays. Especially in the context of Geno I don't think the Gunner works. Geno is supposed to be a faster glass cannon type, and the Mii Gunner feels like they're absolutely stuck in molasses when you try to do anything with them. I hadn't really touched Miis a whole lot because I just didn't have much interest, but again, Sans brought me to trying them out and I don't like the moves all that much either, so it's just...

Please make Geno an actual character and not just a Mii costume, I can't stand the way the Mii Gunner plays in Ultimate and wouldn't enjoy any time with the Mii costume because of that.
I personally really enjoy the mii gunner, but I agree that it's not as snug a fit as everyone seems to think. I think people see the charged shot and go "welp, that's about as close as you can get" hence the whole mii gunner echo meme that was going around for a while.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I've noticed Mii Gunner is a bit slow, too, though they're kinda fun to play imo.

However, I didn't play them much and thought they were kinda bad until Sans came into the picture. I guess he just made me use them more, and find them fun to play. The gunner isn't really that bad like I thought.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

Despite the fact that I actually do enjoy Gunner's fighting style a little bit, I'm certainly in the agreement that it doesn't seem like a style that would be suited for Geno's character in particular. Something about the moveset provided with the Gunner is akin to "Heavier Samus, Maybe", and I can't really imagine a character like Geno having that kind of cumbersome stride with his movements.

Something quick, punchy but light (he is supposed to be a wooden puppet after all), maybe kind of floaty in the air, but not heavy by any means. It's hard to imagine what would be best, but I certainly think that would be a more suitable start.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
What is that email for?
It's in connection with Operation Starfall that SSguy is still working out the fine details to reveal more information. However, I want to "strike while the iron is hot" whenever I see artwork or people talking about support for Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's in connection with Operation Starfall that SSguy is still working out the fine details to reveal more information. However, I want to "strike while the iron is hot" whenever I see artwork or people talking about support for Geno.
To give a concise explanation, it's a letter campaign. We're going to be sending this out to Nintendo, Square, and Sakurai. It's a respectful, clean letter initiative to explain why we love Geno, why we want to see him return through Smash Ultimate, and sending some well-wishes and art to go along with it all. It's a very positive movement that I'm excited for!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
"People have been mostly against Minecraft in Smash."

Woo boy, this guy needs to look at other websites more.
Okay to be completely fair. Steve support really rose up after Banjo was announced. For like a year the most vocal supporters were people posting creepy models and heavily insulting anyone who wanted Banjo or didn't want Steve. Which I would imagine drove a lot of people away. Once Banjo was announced. most Banjo supporters saw no competition between the two anymore so they would welcome Steve. And the Steveposting died down leaving a lot more genuine want for the character to be seen.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Okay to be completely fair. Steve support really raised up after Banjo was announced. For like a year the most vocal supporters were people posting creepy models and heavily insulting anyone who wanted Banjo or didn't want Steve. Which I would imagine drove a lot of people away. Once Banjo was announced. most Banjo supports saw no competition between the two anymore so they would welcome Steve. And the Steveposting died down leaving a lot more genuine want for the character to be seen.
That's true.

However, there were a good amount of legit Steve supporters as well, and some Banjo fans would crap on even the polite Steve fans. Even after Banjo was announced there were some anti-Steve folks and a few Banjo trolls. And to me the creepy FakeSteveposters seemed like a minority with at least some not being serious.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
To give a concise explanation, it's a letter campaign. We're going to be sending this out to Nintendo, Square, and Sakurai. It's a respectful, clean letter initiative to explain why we love Geno, why we want to see him return through Smash Ultimate, and sending some well-wishes and art to go along with it all. It's a very positive movement that I'm excited for!
Thanks for the further explanation, once things are completely live it'll be easier to keep linking the campaign. As Ovaltine said, though we are using an email they letters will get printed in a fashonable sense. We also want artwork, music, etc. to include.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So...

'Don't be ******* stupid, add Geno as a playable character already you dumb people damn it.'

......TOO positive?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Okay to be completely fair. Steve support really rose up after Banjo was announced. For like a year the most vocal supporters were people posting creepy models and heavily insulting anyone who wanted Banjo or didn't want Steve. Which I would imagine drove a lot of people away. Once Banjo was announced. most Banjo supporters saw no competition between the two anymore so they would welcome Steve. And the Steveposting died down leaving a lot more genuine want for the character to be seen.
Pretty much this

Dynamic Worlok

I'm at a middle ground with Steve. While I'm not actively rooting for his disinclusion, I'm certainly not terribly interested in having him as a fighter. I mean, I love Minecraft, but the concept of Steve as a character bores me to tears. I can't think of anything that would make him terribly distinct from link, save for a pickaxe and some block themed moves.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I have a feeling Nintendo and Sakurai already have the bonus DLC characters planned out. I'm not trying to discourage anyone here but if Geno is it then Geno is already in. If he isn't. I don't think a bunch of emails are going to change any plans :/

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I have a feeling Nintendo and Sakurai already have the bonus DLC characters planned out. I'm not trying to discourage anyone here but if Geno is it then Geno is already in. If he isn't. I don't think a bunch of emails are going to change any plans :/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

'PLEASE don't be ******* stupid, add Geno as a playable character already you dumb people damn it, THANK YOU.'

Better?
"**** this character, please put him in the game. You asshole.
Thanks."

(shoutouts to everyone who got that reference :sheep:)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm at a middle ground with Steve. While I'm not actively rooting for his disinclusion, I'm certainly not terribly interested in having him as a fighter. I mean, I love Minecraft, but the concept of Steve as a character bores me to tears. I can't think of anything that would make him terribly distinct from link, save for a pickaxe and some block themed moves.
He could use an enderpearl, pistons, a chest, have the Wither or Ender Dragon in his final smash, a resource/crafting/upgrade gimmick, drop TNT with his down-air, use a dispenser, potions, mob eggs, fire charges, elytra, etc.

He definitely wouldn't be like Link...even if Steve could technically do some sword slashes and use a bow...

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Alright alright you got me haha
But I also get what you mean. There is still a good bit of unknown for DLC. Is it another pass? Is it individual? A mix? Will there be more a year later to keep periodically add content to Smash? Or is under development more of the planning? Discussion?

Regardless, we want to remind the powers that be that Geno is still waiting.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I can't remember where on earth I'd seen it, but I saw a theoretical Steve moveset animatic on YouTube that looked pretty solid to me - I don't think it's a matter of "Steve wouldn't be interesting in Smash", it's moreso a matter of "How can we make Steve interesting in Smash?" And, honestly, if they could figure out how to make characters like Duck Hunt and Villager work, I don't think it's a stretch to figure what would make Steve work.

If I wasn't stuck at work, I'd probably actually explore this, that sounds like it'd be fun.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think it's safe to say that *some* are planned out but the wording in the direct and from Sakurai felt intentionally ambiguous. That plus his statements of wanting to do as much with SSBU as possible with no allusion to immediate bonus DLC being the last we'll get makes me think as long as the money comes in and Sakurai is pasionate which is what it sounds like we'll keep getting DLC. Also he's explicitly made mention to listening to fans. As long as DLC for SMash makes Nintendo asstons of money they'll keep coming out with it. So if Geno isn't part of the Bonus DLC already planned I think sending emails and art and whatnot showing interest and support would be a good thing. Because you can be damned sure Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Sora, etc. fans are going to be doing that and at the very least making themselves heard.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I can't remember where on earth I'd seen it, but I saw a theoretical Steve moveset animatic on YouTube that looked pretty solid to me - I don't think it's a matter of "Steve wouldn't be interesting in Smash", it's moreso a matter of "How can we make Steve interesting in Smash?" And, honestly, if they could figure out how to make characters like Duck Hunt and Villager work, I don't think it's a stretch to figure what would make Steve work.
Seen that video, and while Steve would probably work.. that wasn¨t a solid argument for him

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I have not played minecraft, so I am personally indifferent to it.

The one point to me is initially "Steve" was just the avatar and got a name and "characterized" later with Minecraft's popularity.

But again, my thoughts are meaningless since I have not played it myself and I know it's very popular. The concept is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom