• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I've been thinking, the reaction to the Sans costume has been extremely positive... I hope Sakurai doesn't think that that's an excuse to have Geno stay as a Mii Costume.
Given the backlash Isaac got for the same treatment, I doubt it

D

Deleted member

He posted it purely because he's tired of the starling and wants something new.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not sure if it has spread to here, but the Smash Community has been running a poll for the most Requested characters for Smash Bros Ultimate. This can give us a good indication of where we stand when it comes to Geno support. Let's all do our best to continue spreading the word and ensuring the demand for Geno is still strong!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd8-vylw-JH0u3_1-fJzMpOkYuJKHndvLB6uqdyuj9-iv1GrQ/viewform

There is going to be a ton of competition to show case which characters are demanded the most. Let's be LOUD and PROUD about ensuring that we, the Smash Community want Geno for Smash Bros Ultimate!
I voted for both Goemon and Shantae as my most wanted and Geno as my most likely.

I'm almost positive the idea of holding Mario RPG and Earthbound back is so that they could potentially coincide with Smash reveals of Geno or Porky.
Or both if that's the case.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, important question of seriousnessisity:

Where should Geno be on the character banner?
He's already in the banner as the light behind Pit (Geno's true form).

Also, I gotta say, the SNES library really takes me back. What would REALLY take me back tho is if some of the following games (or all) get added down along the line.

-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (duh)
-Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
-Dragon Quest (Warrior) III
-Super Bomberman
-Super Adventure Island II
-Chrono Trigger
-Congo's Caper
-Donkey Kong Country (1-3 pls)
-Earthbound
-Final Fantasy III (VI)
-The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (unless Konami's working on a Ganbare Goemon collection)
-Kid Clown in Crazy Chase
-Killer Instinct
-Kirby Super Star
-The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
-Mega Man X (1-3 pls)
-Mortal Kombat 3
-Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
-Secret of Evermore
-Spanky's Quest
-Super Ninja Boy
-Super Mario All Star
-The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno coming in as #77 would be pretty great and I could see Sakurai doing something like that. I do get the strong feeling that we're going to know who #76 is by the end of the year, especially if my educated guess about Ryu is right.

My current predictions:

-Nintendo Direct in November, shortly before Pokemon Paper and Plastic releases.
-Terry gets a similar presentation to Hero and Banjo around this time.
-Terry's Mii costumes are mostly the snubbed characters from the trailer, Heihachi, and maybe someone from Metal Slug.
-Ryu's in the Direct.
-Ryu's Mii costumes are a grab bag of Tecmo stuff: Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, and Dynasty Warriors including original characters from Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors.
-#76 is the big announcement at the end of the November Direct. Screen cap this: It's a Burger Time rep.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
He's already in the banner as the light behind Pit (Geno's true form).

Also, I gotta say, the SNES library really takes me back. What would REALLY take me back tho is if some of the following games (or all) get added down along the line.

-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (duh)
-Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
-Dragon Quest (Warrior) III
-Super Bomberman
-Super Adventure Island II
-Chrono Trigger
-Congo's Caper
-Donkey Kong Country (1-3 pls)
-Earthbound
-Final Fantasy III (VI)
-The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (unless Konami's working on a Ganbare Goemon collection)
-Kid Clown in Crazy Chase
-Killer Instinct
-Kirby Super Star
-The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
-Mega Man X (1-3 pls)
-Mortal Kombat 3
-Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
-Secret of Evermore
-Spanky's Quest
-Super Ninja Boy
-Super Mario All Star
-The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang
Oh god, I hope Chrono Trigger gets added, especially with it being excluded from the SNES Classic. It's probably tied with Super Mario RPG for my favorite SNES game, and favorite game of all time.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Geno coming in as #77 would be pretty great and I could see Sakurai doing something like that. I do get the strong feeling that we're going to know who #76 is by the end of the year, especially if my educated guess about Ryu is right.

My current predictions:

-Nintendo Direct in November, shortly before Pokemon Paper and Plastic releases.
-Terry gets a similar presentation to Hero and Banjo around this time.
-Terry's Mii costumes are mostly the snubbed characters from the trailer, Heihachi, and maybe someone from Metal Slug.
-Ryu's in the Direct.
-Ryu's Mii costumes are a grab bag of Tecmo stuff: Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, and Dynasty Warriors including original characters from Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors.
-#76 is the big announcement at the end of the November Direct. Screen cap this: It's a Burger Time rep.
NANI?!?!?!?! :eek: What is this Burger Time you speak of?!?! intrigued

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
NANI?!?!?!?! :eek: What is this Burger Time you speak of?!?! intrigued
I'm kidding. Burger Time is a classic arcade game that you basically have to be an ancient boomer to even be aware of it.

On that note, I feel like my theory about Sakurai saving more fan favorites for later was validated and that this pass was mostly about working with characters and franchises that not only are historically significant to gaming but are personally important to Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

I'm kidding. Burger Time is a classic arcade game that you basically have to be an ancient boomer to even be aware of it.
guess I qualify for a senior discount, huh...

If Chef Burger Time gets in before Geno I'd be kinda upset.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've been thinking, the reaction to the Sans costume has been extremely positive... I hope Sakurai doesn't think that that's an excuse to have Geno stay as a Mii Costume.
I seriously doubt it. Grinch leak and the avalanche of death threats that Nintendo got over Isaac make me believe that Nintendo won't make that mistake twice. Plus, Sans is different. Demand for Sans for part genuine, part meme and most people didn't think Undertale had a shot at literally anything in Smash. If anything, it was definitely a cause for celebration, especially for an indie franchise.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I seriously doubt it. Grinch leak and the avalanche of death threats that Nintendo got over Isaac make me believe that Nintendo won't make that mistake twice. Plus, Sans is different. Demand for Sans for part genuine, part meme and most people didn't think Undertale had a shot at literally anything in Smash. If anything, it was definitely a cause for celebration, especially for an indie franchise.
If Nintendo show sign of weakness that they would listen to death threats then they would get death threats for every game because "insert reason here", sort of like movie studios and actors/actresses won´t budge when people don´t like that casting. I get your Sans argument, but the death threats is stretching it

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I can't believe Nintendo got death threats from Isaac fans too. That's just sad.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I can't believe Nintendo got death threats from Isaac fans too. That's just sad.
No one should ever make death threats over a freaking video game. That **** is just sad. I hope none of you Geno fans EVER do that if Geno doesn't make it in. It is absolutely disgusting behavior.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Also, another thing about the Sans costume. Its is more than likely the attention to details and all that jazz that made it so celebrated too. Had it been a budget like some of the other Mii Costumes are, then you wouldn¨t have heard the same cheering

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Major reason why Sans is received so popularly is because of the look. Never in the history of Smash Bros had a Mii Costume became this popular, usually you get stuff like that ChroMii video as jokes. Had the Sans Mii Costume was a Mii Fighter that was wearing a Sans hat (similar to Chibi-Robo Mii Costume for comparison) it wouldn't be that well received as it is now. Since Sans Mii Costume doesn't resemble a Mii at all that's a major selling point (not saying that Miis are bad, just trying to get a Mii to look like an establish video game character doesn't cut the mustard). I'm sure the next best move to do is have a Steve Mii Costume similar to Sans, have his block face cover the Mii face and make everything blocky.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm sure the next best move to do is have a Steve Mii Costume similar to Sans, have his block face cover the Mii face and make everything blocky.
A blocky mii would suck, they'd have to make animations unique to that costume. He'd be much better as his own fighter, especially since none of the mii's moves fit him at all aside from a single sword slash.

Granted, costumes would still be cool if he's not in as a fighter, but bendy limbs and stuff would be weird; just give him diamond or iron armor-like clothing, the Steve box mask, and Minecraft weapons that depend on the mii.

But I really don't get how Steve and Minecraft are comparable to Sans and Undertale to the point where this is somehow the "best" move for them; really, they're not comparable outside of indie success. I'd rather have Sans as a fighter too, tbh, but at least his costume looks just like him instead of being a budget costume, and the gunner's moves make some sense for Sans. None of the miis make sense for Steve outside of some sword slashes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, another thing about the Sans costume. Its is more than likely the attention to details and all that jazz that made it so celebrated too. Had it been a budget like some of the other Mii Costumes are, then you wouldn¨t have heard the same cheering
I'm hype that he's just a Mii Costume, if we're being honest. It's nice that they went above and beyond on it, though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was asked to put the multi Discord poll in the OP

PapaGenos, Sabi, and Scott the Woz's Discord are participating. Remember to vote 4 Geno!

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Major reason why Sans is received so popularly is because of the look. Never in the history of Smash Bros had a Mii Costume became this popular, usually you get stuff like that ChroMii video as jokes. Had the Sans Mii Costume was a Mii Fighter that was wearing a Sans hat (similar to Chibi-Robo Mii Costume for comparison) it wouldn't be that well received as it is now. Since Sans Mii Costume doesn't resemble a Mii at all that's a major selling point (not saying that Miis are bad, just trying to get a Mii to look like an establish video game character doesn't cut the mustard). I'm sure the next best move to do is have a Steve Mii Costume similar to Sans, have his block face cover the Mii face and make everything blocky.
The Sans Mii costume is probably the best one out there since you straight up look exactly like him ... not just a Mii wearing a costume. That in itself is a huge deal and head nod to both the character and Undertale in general.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
The prospect of new DLC content next year still has me quite excited. I have to wonder, if we'll be seeing a "Page 2" of standard Smash stages to appear in conjunction with the new entrants... Or if we're filling out the current block and leaving it at that.

Not that I'm complaining. Far from it, considering just HOW MANY STAGES exist already.

So if stages would be out the window, would we get different kinds of additional content? New Assists, perhaps? Or even just more Mii Costumes? Spirits seem likely as always.

And I know Sakurai said Home Run was pretty much the final mode, but.. who knows, maybe he'll change his mind if something strikes his fancy?

I figured the train was going to stop at the station come Feb. 2020 but apparently there's a lot more fuel left in the engines, and I'm pumped to find out what we're in for next year.

EDIT: Ooh, Post #100. I'm hittin' the big time, ya'll.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom