• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
ROFL You mean to tell me that he does that on the regular?! And survives?! That's pretty BA.
He's the embodiment of the, "Ah ****, here we go again," meme. He even falls off of a high place like Mad Dogg in CJ's game.

What I'm saying is we're getting Geese Howard as our next GTA protagonist.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I bought Geno's Mii costume in 4 because I wanted to show that I'll put my money where my mouth is, but I agree with this point. I never played a Gunner with the costume on, and outside of like... uair, I don't think Mii Gunner fits him at all. The Mii Fighters being nothing but really sloppily put together movesets from various characters is fitting, but not when it turns into an analogue for characters not represented in the roster. It isn't speed or height or weight that puts me off about it, it's purely the moves.

This does make me think about something that I fear every now and again: what if the actual Geno doesn't fit your playstyle? Like, you just can't wrap your head around what it takes to really enjoy him?
Honestly, as someone who plays Mii Gunner a lot, I think you're a little wrong. Sure, it's not anywhere near what I want from a playable Geno, but I think the normals fit Geno decently well. If Mii Gunner had a laser beam special move and Palutena's Up-Smash, as well as being more floaty and fast, it'd feel a lot like Geno in my eyes. Assuming they re-textured the projectiles to look like stars and stuff, of course.

As for your question? I will main Geno no matter what his moveset is. I already enjoy playing as characters with projectiles that hit hard, and glass cannons are one of my favorite archetypes of all time. I used to main little mac, after all ;P There's just about zero chance of me not vibing with Geno's moveset way hard.

If by some anti-miracle, his playstyle was completely opposite to what I enjoy in a character... I'd still main him. **** it.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
He's the embodiment of the, "Ah ****, here we go again," meme. He even falls off of a high place like Mad Dogg in CJ's game.

What I'm saying is we're getting Geese Howard as our next GTA protagonist.
Big Smoke is our final FP character, calling it now.:ultkrool:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
No one should ever make death threats over a freaking video game. That **** is just sad. I hope none of you Geno fans EVER do that if Geno doesn't make it in. It is absolutely disgusting behavior.
I wouldn't make death threats...
I would only make death PROMISES! :ghost088:

Serisouly though, what is WRONG with people man?

On a somewhat random note, did anyone else think it was hilariously sad how that one guy in Terry's reveal straight up threw himself off a building for the smash letter? One second he's smirking like he's gonna get it, the next he's plummeting to his death. "I never learned how to read!" I mean, what was he gonna do even if he DID get the letter? "Yay! I get to be in Smaaaaa—" (splat)
Fun fact, Geese has lived that fall. Clearly, he would have gotten up and made his way to Smash.

I'll say this. I don't actually care whether or not Geno gets in, but I feel he's got a great shot with the announcement of additional characters outside of the pass.
Aye~! That sounds like support from the outside to me! I love it when you guys come out and are like "Hey man, Geno ain't my jimmy-jams because I want XYZ character, but we are rooting for him because you guys have been at this for so long."

This is why I CANNOT MAKE A Top 10 Smash Characters video, because I actually don't have 10 (or even 5) that I want and it ends up being 'Well, who does everyone else want?

Also, I voted as soon as I saw the link, but I'm still confused on the email thing. Are we emailing Nintendo?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
This does make me think about something that I fear every now and again: what if the actual Geno doesn't fit your playstyle? Like, you just can't wrap your head around what it takes to really enjoy him?
You best believe I will make it work.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
So, something I realized:

Remember how Sakurai stated that there were more DLC coming to Smash during the Banjo presentation?

Remember how he also stated that the Banjo presentation was recorded 2 days after the Hero presentation?

Which means that at least 2 days after the Hero presentation they already had decided that more DLC will be added to Smash. The Hero presentation was uploaded July 30th, but was clearly recorded at an earlier date. So this was well over a month ago at least. Was it possible they decided on more DLC right after E3, with Hero and Banjo's reveals?

Perhaps they were inspired to add more characters when they saw the sudden influx of money from the Fighter Pass after Hero and B&K were shown to be in it?

Hmmm...

On another topic note, now that they're adding more, in addition to Geno I want Dante. That's pretty much the sum of what I really want for this game. I'm already really satisfied at this point, and anything beyond is already strawberry on top of the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering recently about how some folks mention bringing in Timed Hits into Geno's potential moveset. I wasn't particularly sure in what way this could be executed, whether it could work for special moves, or most moves. Like.. Would it be a case of, say... Let us say Geno performs a good ol' fashioned side-smash attack. Would it be, like, he does a single motion for his move, BUT, correctly timing another button press, and he follows through with another motion to attack?

Like, I guess, the equivalent of Link using his two-part side smash attack, except the timing makes more of a difference than just simply spamming the attack button to follow up.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I was wondering recently about how some folks mention bringing in Timed Hits into Geno's potential moveset. I wasn't particularly sure in what way this could be executed, whether it could work for special moves, or most moves. Like.. Would it be a case of, say... Let us say Geno performs a good ol' fashioned side-smash attack. Would it be, like, he does a single motion for his move, BUT, correctly timing another button press, and he follows through with another motion to attack?

Like, I guess, the equivalent of Link using his two-part side smash attack, except the timing makes more of a difference than just simply spamming the attack button to follow up.
The way I always imagined it was, you press the button again as soon as the hit connects, and it does more damage if you time it properly.

D

Deleted member

Since Sans' Mii costume came with a music track and Captain Syrup likely isn't going to be playable in this game, can I please just have a Mii costume of her or some other Wario Land character and get a remix of the main theme of the first Wario Land? Or The Journey Home? Or Crescent Moon Village?

I thought about that after I downloaded his costume and played around with it for a bit and now if I'm ever going to get any more Wario Land stuff for this DLC it looks like I'll have to campaign for a Mii costume that comes with a music track.

Last edited by a moderator:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
The way I always imagined it was, you press the button again as soon as the hit connects, and it does more damage if you time it properly.
This does make sense! Although, from a gameplay perspective, it does beg the question of whether it gives the timed hit mechanic enough purpose to be considered a necessary mechanic in this way. ("Why tap the button for max damage if I'm always gonna do max damage when I get the chance? I'd rather just get the damage!")

And while Geno, specifically, has attacks that follow this specific trait (time the button to up the damage), a lot of other attacks from the other party members always had additional follow-up animations to further show off the attacks. (Mario punch once? Nay, punch forward, then uppercut!) (Mallow, slam that cymbal, now open it up again!) (Bowser, throw Mario! ... And, er.. Throw him again!)

I feel like, perhaps, adding an additional movement/extra strike as a reward for timing your button presses would feel a little better gameplay-wise, be more visually interesting, and, in the face of fairness, give opponents a chance to punish if you unnecessarily proceed with your attack all willy-nilly.

As added bonus, maybe dictate the level of power in the follow-up strike with how well you timed the hit, so it's likely to never be the same way twice. Just something I was thinking about.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Remember how Sakurai stated that there were more DLC coming to Smash during the Banjo presentation?

Remember how he also stated that the Banjo presentation was recorded 2 days after the Hero presentation?

Which means that at least 2 days after the Hero presentation they already had decided that more DLC will be added to Smash. The Hero presentation was uploaded July 30th, but was clearly recorded at an earlier date. So this was well over a month ago at least. Was it possible they decided on more DLC right after E3, with Hero and Banjo's reveals?

Perhaps they were inspired to add more characters when they saw the sudden influx of money from the Fighter Pass after Hero and B&K were shown to be in it?

Hmmm...

On another topic note, now that they're adding more, in addition to Geno I want Dante. That's pretty much the sum of what I really want for this game. I'm already really satisfied at this point, and anything beyond is already strawberry on top of the icing on the cake.
That timing makes me wonder just how intentional the omission of Geno's Mii costume is. Maybe they held it back because they wanted to leave things open as a future DLC possibility? Perhaps they even talked to Square and they were like, "We could make Geno happen, if you decide to do more DLC. If Hero sells well and this does good for DQ, we can talk about this down the line." Now, we're at the down the line segment of the video game anime manga squeakquel. Will Geno join the roster at long last?! Find out on the next episode of "Genoball Z"!

Lmao why would someone waste its time to write a whole article about not wanting Geno in smash
http://phenixxgaming.com/2019/09/06/i-dont-care-about-geno-in-smash/
Haaaaaaahahahahahahaha.

HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

'Deserving' to be in Smash is something that is so ridiculous to me. If a character has fans, guess what? That alone is able to be considered 'deserving'. Besides, why are we arguing who deserves to be in and who doesn't when we got freaking Corrin?

It's kinda funny, though, how they claim that they don't care, yet they write a huge article about how much they don't care. Sounds like they care to me.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
This does make sense! Although, from a gameplay perspective, it does beg the question of whether it gives the timed hit mechanic enough purpose to be considered a necessary mechanic in this way. ("Why tap the button for max damage if I'm always gonna do max damage when I get the chance? I'd rather just get the damage!")

And while Geno, specifically, has attacks that follow this specific trait (time the button to up the damage), a lot of other attacks from the other party members always had additional follow-up animations to further show off the attacks. (Mario punch once? Nay, punch forward, then uppercut!) (Mallow, slam that cymbal, now open it up again!) (Bowser, throw Mario! ... And, er.. Throw him again!)

I feel like, perhaps, adding an additional movement/extra strike as a reward for timing your button presses would feel a little better gameplay-wise, be more visually interesting, and, in the face of fairness, give opponents a chance to punish if you unnecessarily proceed with your attack all willy-nilly.

As added bonus, maybe dictate the level of power in the follow-up strike with how well you timed the hit, so it's likely to never be the same way twice. Just something I was thinking about.
It would be a necessary mechanic simply by making it difficult, as difficult as it is in the actual games. If it's a 2-3 frame window to get the maximum damage, then you can't always rely on getting max damage unless you're godlike. Especially since the exact frame you hit is usually different because you're moving around in Smash. Geno's animations DO change when you get the timed hits, just not as much as others. That'd be a great way to convey the info in smash though, yeah. His special moves having the timed hits mechanic would be more important I think.

I really should re-do my Geno moveset (for like the fifth time now), I'm not satisfied with it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Lmao why would someone waste its time to write a whole article about not wanting Geno in smash
The only thing I can agree on with this article is that, if we wouldn¨t make our voice heard, we probably would not even have the Mii Costume to begin within Smash 4. The same goes for Banjo & Kazooie that has the fandom to thank for when it comes to their inclusion in Ultimate. I mean, Square has given up on Geno and Microsoft on Banjo

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
This argument never really made sense to me:

In all honesty, if Geno were to actually get in, it’d just be because people never shut up about him than any sort of merit.”

Merit can derive from a lot of sources. The fact that so many people have been vocal for so long exemplifies Geno’s merit. There’s clearly something special about the game and its characters or it would’ve been forgotten like so many other good games.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Considering the 10 world of light (well it's more than that including the fighter pass characters + piranha plant) character slots that were added in with the Piranha Plant update, I'm guessing this is something that was decided on around launch or maybe a little before launch.

So it probably wasn't affected by the money they received on the fighter pass, I think Sakurai just genuinely wants to make fans happy and stuff as many characters into the game as he can.

On another note I just realized getting Geno in Smash would probably result in a remix of "Fight Against an Armed Boss" and I'm absolutely down for that.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Considering the 10 world of light (well it's more than that including the fighter pass characters + piranha plant) character slots that were added in with the Piranha Plant update, I'm guessing this is something that was decided on around launch or maybe a little before launch.

So it probably wasn't affected by the money they received on the fighter pass, I think Sakurai just genuinely wants to make fans happy and stuff as many characters into the game as he can.
I'd say it's a bit of both. The slots were there likely as placeholders in case the FP sold well, and now that it has, they're looking into adding more DLC. I sincerely doubt the additional DLC was planned that early. Most companies wouldn't do that with their DLC, as it just isn't a smart business move.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It messes me up that people are so quick to paint an entire fandom in broad strokes just because a few whiny babies can't handle a roster not going their way. But I shouldn't be surprised, since that's the way everyone else sees us. To write an entire article about how you don't like a character though is laughably petty. Whatever though, we'll just keep on as we always do. If the whole world stands against us, I'll be there to say "Geno for Smash"

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This argument never really made sense to me:

In all honesty, if Geno were to actually get in, it’d just be because people never shut up about him than any sort of merit.”

Merit can derive from a lot of sources. The fact that so many people have been vocal for so long exemplifies Geno’s merit. There’s clearly something special about the game and its characters or it would’ve been forgotten like so many other good games.
Taste is subjective after all

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
It messes me up that people are so quick to paint an entire fandom in broad strokes just because a few whiny babies can't handle a roster not going their way. But I shouldn't be surprised, since that's the way everyone else sees us. To write an entire article about how you don't like a character though is laughably petty. Whatever though, we'll just keep on as we always do. If the whole world stands against us, I'll be there to say "Geno for Smash"
Current mood:
1567811443592.png

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I literally checked for Isaac and Geno tweets on twitter moments after the direct when Sakurai said "oportunities to satisfy fans" and I found a BUNCH of haters joining forces just to **** on the characters. Like… WTF, these can't be even real Smash fans to begin with, the fact there's people who wastes their time on hating characters and people's wishes instead of enjoying the damn game and the news of getting more, hell I bet they got or will get their character too and they will still **** on the ones we want. I'm literally speechless (even if I just wasted your time reading an entire paragraph, lmao).

Welp, screw them, as usual. There is no stopping this support train. We gotta pushing and keep showing we want these characters badly if they haven't decided on all of the upcoming ones yet (maybe we already got lucky and we are about to be surprised… but just in case…)

edit: typos, my english sucks today…lol

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
D

Deleted member

Hey guys! Mind if I join speculation? I am very interested in Geno being in smash and also playing Mario RPG on my SNES classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lol, I heard Twitter is pissed that Geno and Isaac have a chance now.

If we're pissing Twitter off we're doing something right!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I've probably talked abut this here before but I really hope they don't have additional timed presses for the sake of additional timed presses. building it into his moveset would be fine and interesting, a detontated geno whirl, a amped up geno boost, ect. would be creative and fun but just tacking on an additional button press to every single action adds nothing except to raise the difficulty of execution and hurt my hands. The whole point of smash's design was to remove the execution barrier on moves themselves so that the focus would be developing your spacing, edge guarding, movement and combo strings, and reads. I'm fine with it on ryu and ken because its just on specials and it's an homage to their original input combinations and the quick flick of a quarter circle feels natural and unintrusive, but I'd like to keep the amount of button presses as low as possible where it could be avoided.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Lol, I heard Twitter is pissed that Geno and Isaac have a chance now.

If we're pissing Twitter off we're doing something right!
Eh, don't pay them any mind. People will get angry over anything. If some of us good Geno fans can respect anyone else's picks, then it's on them to be as respectful in return. If they cannot do that, then they aren't worth our breath.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hey guys! Mind if I join speculation? I am very interested in Geno being in smash and also playing Mario RPG on my SNES classic.
Welcome to the thread! We are starting a writing campaign! Support Geno by sending an email to smashultimatedlc@gmail.com. We are wanting content that is positive and respectful! Please tell us how much you support Geno and why you like him with your first or favorite memories!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, looking at the large amount of remixes Banjo received and the variety of composers that worked with them, it makes me wonder who could be a good fit for some SMRPG remixes if we were to get a stage. I am not sure if SMRPG is the soundtrack that would demand a lot of remixes(The songs fit rather well despite their obvious age), but I imagine there will be one or two. I am sure Yoko would be one of the people who would remix a song, but who else do you guys think would do a great job?

Also, page 1400. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom