• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Why do people always think this is what was said? The only thing that was 100 percent confirmed was that the fighters pass will be CHARACTERS that are new to Smash. Sure, it seems like it's going to be all from new franchises, but I see too many people take that as an absolute fact when it's not completely confirmed. Reggie only said the new character thing because there were no echoes/older characters in the pass.
It's about what was shown, not what was said.

A lot of leaks (including some from Nintendo itself) seem to point towards the identity of the fourth fighter, but there's no guarantee
At this point it's a blatant fact. Especially if Verge-"Literal perfect Smash record"-ben says it's happening.

He never said that, it was a misquote. He said new and unexpected, he never said anything about franchises; this was confirmed and you can check yourself just by watching when he talked about it at the VGAs. He once even said “character that isn’t in Smash” about Waluigi regarding fans wanting him in an interview.
So his misquote accidentally spelled out exactly the direction Fighter Pass was going to work in? That seems like a borderline impossible coincidence

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why people bother to engage with useless contrarian-for-the-sake of it folks.
Just hit that ignore button, don't give them a second thought and go back to speculating with people worth having discussion with.

I am hopeful for Fighter Pass 2 and that Geno will be on it. :D

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So his misquote accidentally spelled out exactly the direction Fighter Pass was going to work in? That seems like a borderline impossible coincidence
If you’re not gonna bother and check what he actually said, especially with most people agreeing on this since it’s actually been confirmed, and keep acting like we know Sakurai’s every move, I’m done here.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
As far as Smash Bros is concerned Geno is a Mario character.
It's more complicated than that. Yes, Geno has the mushroom icon, but when his Mii Costume was revealed in 4 there was a screen that said, "Smash Bros. X Super Mario RPG". Even if Geno is a character from the Mario universe, his inclusion was treated as a crossover.

SwitchButton

I don't know why people bother to engage with useless contrarian-for-the-sake of it folks.
Just hit that ignore button, don't give them a second thought and go back to speculating with people worth having discussion with.

I am hopeful for Fighter Pass 2 and that Geno will be on it. :D
I don't know why people use internet forums if they don't want to actually engage with people in a genuine fashion and instead engage in borderline delusion circlejerking. Cause, y'know, that kind of mindset is "totally" healthy

If you’re not gonna bother and check what he actually said, especially with most people agreeing on this since it’s actually been confirmed, and keep acting like we know Sakurai’s every move, I’m done here.
Ok. Feel free to come back and kiss my feet and bow in apology when, holy heck, it turns out Reggie said what he meant and every new fighter in the pass is from a new IP.

It's more complicated than that.
Within the context of Smash itself? It's not. Geno is categorized under the Super Mario series. Not the "other" section, but straight up the Mario series.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I now think Ryu is a safe bet:

-Tecmo is already involved with Ultimate and has a long history with Nintendo.

-Ninja Gaiden is kind of one of the last "big" NES classics not in Smash yet.

-Tecmo and Team Ninja have teamed up with Nintendo a lot in recent, being involved in Metroid, Fire Emblem, and even Zelda.

-Ryu has already done crossovers before, most prominently with Dead or Alive and the Dynasty Warriors series.

-It's a name that's been heard enough in insider circles that there's a decent chance it means something.

-Ninja Gaiden was on the NES classic and one of the few third party games that has been on Wii, Wii U, and Switch Virtual Consoles.

-*insert other reasons I've already talked about here*

I"m not really affected either way but I've kind of made peace with the strong possibility of Ryu being the last for this pass. He pretty much checks all the boxes for a Sakurai pick too so if this is how he wants to close it out, I'm alright with it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

-Tecmo and Team Ninja have teamed up with Nintendo a lot in recent, being involved in Metroid, Fire Emblem, and even Zelda.

-Ryu has already done crossovers before, most prominently with Dead or Alive and the Dynasty Warriors series.

-It's a name that's been heard enough in insider circles that there's a decent chance it means something.

-Ninja Gaiden was on the NES classic and one of the few third party games that has been on Wii, Wii U, and Switch Virtual Consoles.

I"m not really affected either way but I've kind of made peace with the strong possibility of Ryu being the last for this pass. He pretty much checks all the boxes for a Sakurai pick too so if this is how he wants to close it out, I'm alright with it.
*Sigh* I'm tired of holding on to hope for characters I like. I'm just going to assume it's Ryu so I can stop playing this little speculation game.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

I certainly hope you're wrong, but whatever. I'll keep fighting regardless

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Extra evidence: I recently beat the original Ninja Gaiden in one sitting without using savestates.
COINCIDENCE?! :ultpacman:

Last edited:

SwitchButton

It will certainly be strange to see Smash fans do the usual thing they do when they pretend that they were always a fan for Ninja Gaiden. It's a shame that both Bayonetta and Hayabusa got in before Dante, the grand daddy of the action genre. Especially in a game about historical significance.

That said he's a nice pick.. not exactly groundbreaking or anything, but nice and safe. Fits with the "meh, that's okay I suppose" theme of this fighter pass

Firox

Smash Master

If we end up having Ryu H join the fight, at least we'll be able to have some freaking sweet ninja battle royales. Imagine Ryu, Sheik and Greninja in a fight to the death. May the best ninja win. :evil:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Light Flaming Warning
Ok. Feel free to come back and kiss my feet and bow in apology when, holy heck, it turns out Reggie said what he meant and every new fighter in the pass is from a new IP.
Except he never said new IP, just new characters.

But yes, o’ superior one, I will come back and apologize for how much of an obnoxious piece of crap you are.

Dynamic Worlok

But yes, o’ superior one, I will come back and apologize for how much of an obnoxious piece of crap you are.
Be careful, he's going to suggest that you secretly agree with him.

SwitchButton

I guess you'll be coming back after that ban you probably just earned yourself. Just because I prove something to you doesn't mean you can lash out angrily in a rude fashion. I have been respectful to you in this debate. I expect you to grant me the same benefit.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It will certainly be strange to see Smash fans do the usual thing they do when they pretend that they were always a fan for Ninja Gaiden.
God I hate this so much. It was worse with Terry.
It’s so annoying when everyone jumps on you for not knowing who Terry or SNK is and acts like they’re super iconic when they really aren’t. Not trying to knock SNK’s influence but they are not that iconic as people say they are.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
*Cries in Konami code*

Nah but in all seriousness, Ryu would be awesome, as I've always relied on the Mii Swordfighter as somewhat of a ninja character - not to mention having a real katana wielder in Smash. If it is Ryu I'd be curious what stage they'd go with for representation.

MattX20

Smash Hero

My only concern over Ninja Gaiden getting into Smash is the rivalry between Tomonobu Itagaki and Hideki Kamiya. Those two are pretty bitter towards each other's works.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
My only concern over Ninja Gaiden getting into Smash is the rivalry between Tomonobu Itagaki and Hideki Kamiya. Those two are pretty bitter towards each other's works.
Itagaki hasn't worked for Team Ninja in 10 years

SwitchButton

*Cries in Konami code*

Nah but in all seriousness, Ryu would be awesome, as I've always relied on the Mii Swordfighter as somewhat of a ninja character - not to mention having a real katana wielder in Smash. If it is Ryu I'd be curious what stage they'd go with for representation.
Knowing how true Sakurai is to the IPs I bet it's gonna be something Ninja Gaiden 2 bonkers like an exploding airplane above the Tokyo city level in 2

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't believe that Smash Ultimate DLC will end with Ryu Hayabusa and I don't think he'll be revealed at the game awards. Maybe a 7th DLC character will be shown at the game awards to announce that more DLC is on the way.

As for what he'll play like, maybe he'll play like the original NES Ninja Gaiden games like Simon and Richter play like the original NES Castlevania games. That would be kind of cool. I don't know what stage he would bring but I'm going to guess a remake of the first level of the first Ninja Gaiden game.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*Sigh* I'm tired of holding on to hope for characters I like. I'm just going to assume it's Ryu so I can stop playing this little speculation game.
I'm tellin' ya, I don't think this is the end. Trust me, I'd be really bummed if people were saying don't hold your breath for more but that's also why I'm reassuring everyone that it's gotten to the point that DLC ending after this Pass would actually be considered shocking. I'm going to go ahead and make the bold bet that additional characters or even another pass will be announced by the end of March.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm tellin' ya, I don't think this is the end. Trust me, I'd be really bummed if people were saying don't hold your breath for more but that's also why I'm reassuring everyone that it's gotten to the point that DLC ending after this Pass would actually be considered shocking. I'm going to go ahead and make the bold bet that additional characters or even another pass will be announced by the end of March.
I hope you're right. I really do.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
It's a shame that both Bayonetta and Hayabusa got in before Dante, the grand daddy of the action genre. Especially in a game about historical significance.
I agree that Dante is more deserving to be in Smash than Bayonetta from a historical significance standpoint, but are you implying that Ninja Gaiden is not historically significant enough to get in over Dante?

Edit: I quoted the wrong message. Fixing it now.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I certainly hope it's not the end. We'll just have to keep pushing until then. If the stars align, we might just get our wish.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

I agree that Dante is more deserving to be in Smash than Bayonetta from a historical significance standpoint, but are you implying that Ninja Gaiden is not historically significant enough to get in over Dante?
Ninja Gaiden had 3 NES games. That's about it's entire "history". It didn't really create a genre or define anything. It was just stupid ****ing hard, but then again most NES games were. Considering it's primarily known for it's two Xbox action titles, I'd say it absolutely a shame that it got in before the single most important action game figure in gaming.

Remember: older =/= more historically important

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've been over a more extensive analysis of the Reggie quote from The Game Awards in the past, so I won't do it again. But it's always felt like people were trying desperately to wiggle their way out of "characters like Joker... new to Smash" in Smash by using the "Oh, he was just referring to them all being newcomers since Ultimate brought back all the veterans." Every part of that conversation was in the context of Joker and unexpected inclusions, so it has always colored that entire conversation in a different light. And with the end of the Fighter's Pass increasingly staring us down, it's more than likely the interpretation fans took to on forums was actually the misinterpretation and Reggie told us exactly what to expect from the beginning.

Also, to people disappointed by Ryu Hayabusa, play the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES online service. It's absolutely a classic that belongs alongside Castlevania and Mega Man games as a 2D action platformer that defined the NES. It's a difficult as hell beast, but it's also still thrilling to this day to play and get those sections "right." When you're at the top of your game playing it, everything feels really fluid and enjoyable. Ryu shows off a lot of really cool abilities just in the original much like Simon did in the original Castlevania that got interpreted into his moveset. Similarly, if you have a Xbox One by chance, Ninja Gaiden Black is on the Game Pass (which seems to perpetually be sold for $1, so no real excuse not to try stuff out on it if you have the system) and shows the beauty (and once again, nail biting difficulty) of modern Ninja Gaiden. The modern Ninja Gaiden games show off so much more potential for Ryu's potential moveset so he uses a wide variety of weapons in the game such as nunchuks, staffs, claws, etc. alongside really cool Ninpo techniques that include fire, ice, and the like. While Hayabusa is guaranteed to use his famous Dragon Sword, he's much like Hero in the sense that Sakurai could pull from a lot of stuff to diversify his moveset and give him unique attributes. That doesn't solve anything if you're against human characters obviously, but I do recommend people give it more of a chance since it's so easily accessible. I know that I was frustrated with Terry's inclusion the other day, but I've been trying to do what I always do with characters I don't know in Smash and look further into their games with him and that helps immensely after first impressions of an idea might not be so good.

I am surprised to see such backlash on Ryu Hayabusa though, the original Ninja Gaiden is widely regarded as another NES classic that appears on basically every console it can and I remember it being a huge deal as a Xbox exclusive growing up. The series has sold comparably to the Persona series with around 7 million copies sold from what I can gather (the data on it isn't super great, but it's what I'm working with). Sure, it hasn't had a game in a few years, but still, I'm baffled that it seems like Terry is getting a better reception than Hayabusa in some places...

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I feel like information pointing to Hayabusa in the speculation scene may have actually been pointing to this.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I've been leaning in that direction as well ever since Sakurai's comments on Banjo. Sakurai saying, "And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!" to me doesn't sound like someone ready for a ten year hiatus. I'm trying not to get me hopes up, but the missing slots are incredibly suspicious, especially since they were all filled in 4.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I doubt we get some additional character (like one or two bonus characters) If we get more, we get a pack

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if it'll be a lackluster final reveal like the last few games have been... Corrin/Bayonetta was not a very exciting reveal to me. A lot of people were stoked and confused by Bayo but it didn't outweigh Cloud. I'm presuming it'll be similar to Banjo being super hype and the next handful being slightly less exciting.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Ninja Gaiden had 3 NES games. That's about it's entire "history". It didn't really create a genre or define anything. It was just stupid ****ing hard, but then again most NES games were. Considering it's primarily known for it's two Xbox action titles, I'd say it absolutely a shame that it got in before the single most important action game figure in gaming.

Remember: older =/= more historically important
I guess I should have asked if Ninja Gaiden is historically significant enough to get into Smash, not more significant than Dante.
I'm not old enough to have play most NES games, so I don't have a lot of knowledge of Ninja Gaiden, but it was a game series I always knew the name of growing up. Also after looking up the series on the internet now, it seems it was the first game to really use cinematics to tell a story which seems important to me. Additionally, the internet made it sound like it was very popular in the US when it came out.

SwitchButton

I am surprised to see such backlash on Ryu Hayabusa though, the original Ninja Gaiden is widely regarded as another NES classic that appears on basically every console it can and I remember it being a huge deal as a Xbox exclusive growing up. The series has sold comparably to the Persona series with around 7 million copies sold from what I can gather (the data on it isn't super great, but it's what I'm working with). Sure, it hasn't had a game in a few years, but still, I'm baffled that it seems like Terry is getting a better reception than Hayabusa in some places...
Remember: Smash fans are really REALLY bad for being relentlessly circlejerk-y and bandwagon-y. If the character isn't part of the tiny isolated picks of this ****ing website then they are undeserving and a bad pick.
with that said, I can promise you that once Ryu is actually announced, every person in this thread will do the usual "I always knew he'd make it he deserves it" 180.

Why do people want Sakurai to be an endless Smash roster machine? You guys do know he's done nothing but smash for like 5 years now, right? I feel like we NEED a 10 year break to make the whole cult-like...
If the stars align, we might just get our wish.
....behavior wear off

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I feel like information pointing to Hayabusa in the speculation scene may have actually been pointing to this.

Not really
DLC=/=A new game
Nintendo source =/= Playstation sources
And as Fatmanonice said

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So the thought just occurred to me that we're going to get SNK Mii Costume and I'm just thinking do people really use the Mii Fighters? I barely see anyone really talk about them or legit play them, so out of all the characters why do they keep pushing Mii Costume DLC? Also to people who do play as Mii Fighters do you even use the DLC Mii Costume?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wonder if it'll be a lackluster final reveal like the last few games have been... Corrin/Bayonetta was not a very exciting reveal to me. A lot of people were stoked and confused by Bayo but it didn't outweigh Cloud. I'm presuming it'll be similar to Banjo being super hype and the next handful being slightly less exciting.
That doesn't seem like a fair comparison; outside of Master Chief, a Sony-owned character, or maybe Banjo and Kazooie, I'm not sure if anything could outweigh Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom