• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
As someone that would prefer a lot of other characters instead of Ryu (although not against him).. how does this game make him less likely? It's not like this is Soul Calibur, Tekken or a Street Fighter game.... Do I need to write a reminder that this could just Dragon Quest is in Jump Force scenario
To be fair that Dragon Quest series basically isn't connect to the Square Enix property in any way except the name.

People are thinking it makes him less likely because IAmShifty was the only "big" leaker talking about him joining Smash and as we see it was a misunderstanding as Ryu isn't fighter 4 and he is joining a game that also shares "ultimate" in their name. Ryu was even announced very close to when the next Smash character is going to be announced. This basically confirms that the only big Ryu leak was actually a misunderstand which hurts his chances.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it an 8/8
Considering how utterly angry you are, I think it's safe to say that you have officially admitted to agreeing with me.

I guess it's easy to agree with. At this point, Sakurai removing the Mii Costume is really just an end all sign that he considers it to be good enough. The evidence at this point simply points to Sakurai not considering him feasible. And the fact that he's only going to fade even more from the zeitgeist by the time Smash 6's reduced roster comes is just one gigantic nail. Sakurai heard our demands and his response was "meh, I gave you a bone last time"

I'm not seeing a single scrap of hope. The fact that your nerves are so shot by this really goes a long way to show me that you don't have any either. Which means you seem to support my theory.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
But feel free to respond to my actual previous argument with real counterpoints. I know you have it in you to be calm and rational :)
then allow me, as it's a relatively simple task. You said you're going to give up if he's not revealed for ultimate. Fine, you're more than welcome to, nobody's going to force you to stick around.
you said that sakurai didn't consider the mii costume essential, to that I posit that no mii costume is essential, and is effectively a non argument. You're free to assume that sakurai considered the costume in 4 to be enough, and you might even be right, but that doesn't make it a non-assumption.
you're also free to assume that he might not make it into subsequent entries based on anecdotal evidence, but until we receive good hard evidence as to his dismissal, it's fallacious at best to assume he's completely out of the running.

ALSO 8/8 b8 m8

SwitchButton

you said that sakurai didn't consider the mii costume essential, to that I posit that no mii costume is essential
This point is shot down by the fact that Sakurai went out of his way to make sure that a lot of mii costumes came back. He even made sure that the old Sonic outfits returned.

but that doesn't make it a non-assumption
It's a logical conclusion, not an assumption. Occam's Razor demands that it wasn't in because Sakurai simply didn't want it in.

you're also free to assume that he might not make it into subsequent entries based on anecdotal evidence
You're not using the word anecdotal correctly.

but until we receive good hard evidence as to his dismissal, it's fallacious at best to assume he's completely out of the running.
Good hard evidence like not being good enough to Sakurai to return as a Mii Costume?

ALSO 8/8 b8 m8
Why did you flush your entire post down the toilet? Now you're just admitting that you are wrong :/

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is my least favorite thing about this. Now we have to deal with “Well it can’t be X because everyone says it’s Ryu” until fighter 5.
This is why I've been saying not to stress it. Aside from the things I've already talked about, the Mood™ has changed. At the beginning of DLC, most insiders were in agreement that expecting more past the Pass wasn't a safe bet. Now it's the opposite.

"Oh, see? Joker has an ALT. That probably has its own slot and... Oh, it doesn't? Huh..."

"Okay, Hero has four ALTs. Surely these all have their own... they don't... Okay... That's weird."

"Alright, Banjo probably is not going to have ALTs so there's a slim possibility that the last two characters will and... Eh... No... Well, fine... I guess we have 10 unaccounted for placeholders then..."

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be fair that Dragon Quest series basically isn't connect to the Square Enix property in any way except the name.

People are thinking it makes him less likely because IAmShifty was the only "big" leaker talking about him joining Smash and as we see it was a misunderstanding as Ryu isn't fighter 4 and he is joining a game that also shares "ultimate" in their name. Ryu was even announced very close to when the next Smash character is going to be announced. This basically confirms that the only big Ryu leak was actually a misunderstand which hurts his chances.
Dragon Quest isn´t connected to Square except for the name yes. But the franchise got included in two fighting games, developed by the same developer compared to us trying to say that he is less likely due to a game shares a name... from a company and developer that has nothing to do with Smash right now officially

Like I said, is he as sure as Terry at this point? Nope. Do I want him? Nope (although I won´t be against him) but saying that he is "deconfirmed" because of a name is just.. sigh... Not even the game doesn´t make sense concidering there is a difference between DLC and an entire game.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This point is shot down by the fact that Sakurai went out of his way to make sure that a lot of mii costumes came back. He even made sure that the old Sonic outfits returned.

It's a logical conclusion, not an assumption. Occam's Razor demands that it wasn't in because Sakurai simply didn't want it in.

You're not using the word anecdotal correctly.

Good hard evidence like not being good enough to Sakurai to return as a Mii Costume?

Why did you flush your entire post down the toilet? Now you're just admitting that you are wrong :/
My dude, you don’t know what’s going on in the man’s head. For all we know, he could’ve wanted the costume but had issues getting it, or even got Geno himself instead which is why it’s not here with Dragon Quest.

Chocobo didn’t come back, either.

MattX20

Smash Hero
This is why I've been saying not to stress it. Aside from the things I've already talked about, the Mood™ has changed. At the beginning of DLC, most insiders were in agreement that expecting more past the Pass wasn't a safe bet. Now it's the opposite.

"Oh, see? Joker has an ALT. That probably has its own slot and... Oh, it doesn't? Huh..."

"Okay, Hero has four ALTs. Surely these all have their own... they don't... Okay... That's weird."

"Alright, Banjo probably is not going to have ALTs so there's a slim possibility that the last two characters will and... Eh... No... Well, fine... I guess we have 10 unaccounted for placeholders then..."
The plot thickens

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who thinks they may mention the Spyro Reignited Trilogy since it came out today?

Also, what a peculiar development. Hmm...

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
But if you’re going by Occam’s Razor it’s... still an assumption. You can call it a logical conclusion but that doesn’t mean it’s actually what happened. You’re just assuming that Sakurai simply didn’t want him in.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm really hyped up for Terry in all honesty. Been listening to Oh Angel on loop for a while to get pumped for his reveal

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Dragon Quest isn´t connected to Square except for the name yes. But the franchise got included in two fighting games, developed by the same developer compared to us trying to say that he is less likely due to a game shares a name... from a company and developer that has nothing to do with Smash right now officially

Like I said, is he as sure as Terry at this point? Nope. Do I want him? Nope (although I won´t be against him) but saying that he is "deconfirmed" because of a name is just.. sigh...
I agree, but I am of the opinion that this hurts his chances since IAmShifty was the only major person leaking him and he was wrong about it. That was the only evidence that has truly come out for him. I don't think Ryu is deconfirmed but I don't expect him unless Terry's trailers matches what that 4chan "leak" said.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
We already know Geno isn't in the game. The leaks have spelled that out cut and dry. That's not what this discussion is about
The 5th character hasn’t been confirmed, Shifty is the only one claiming Ryu and none of the other insiders are sure. Shifty thought Ryu would be Fighter 4 before he saw the SNK stuff going on.

And Shifty could be wrong.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Hope Geno is one of those 10.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I'm really hyped up for Terry in all honesty. Been listening to Oh Angel on loop for a while to get pumped for his reveal
Terry really grew on me I gotta admit. I didn’t expect to like him at all but now I’m more interested in what he has to offer

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That’s not really what I meant. Of course I have the freedom to buy individual characters and I have been using that freedom. What I mean is the idea of a pass leads us to where we are now. All 3rd party characters with very little variety. By releasing characters individually they would be more inclined to give us Nintendo characters. Pretty crazy idea for me to be asking for that in a Nintendo game
I don’t think that’s really the implication of single character DLC like you seem to think it is. 3/4 new fighters in Smash 4’s DLC was third party despite being individual DLC. Nothing fundamentally changes between a Fighter’s Pass and individual DLC, with the exception that people who like the discount bundle and not having to worry about the individual purchasing lose that small benefit.

I just think Nintendo and Sakurai primarily prefer to focus on third parties for their DLC and Smash is clearly moving forward to embody that more and more these days. The rules of the game have just changed. It’s telling that we’ve only gotten 2/9 Nintendo characters as new DLC and one was ostensibly meant for base Ultimate before being moved and the other was for promoting a new game. They’re just not that interested in first party DLC and I’d be surprised if anything changes with future DLC. Again, adding characters like Bandanna Dee might please the Smash ballot fan base, but rather pales in comparison to say adding a Crash Bandicoot who blows out headlines and further cements Smash’s legacy as the premier crossover in gaming.

SwitchButton

But if you’re going by Occam’s Razor it’s... still an assumption. You can call it a logical conclusion but that doesn’t mean it’s actually what happened. You’re just assuming that Sakurai simply didn’t want him in.
Uhh... Occam's Razor doesn't work on assumptions. Occam's Razor demands that the most logical answer is usually the actual answer. Which is that Sakurai simply didn't consider it important enough to keep

SwitchButton

The 5th character hasn’t been confirmed, Shifty is the only one claiming Ryu and none of the other insiders are sure. Shifty thought Ryu would be Fighter 4 before he saw the SNK stuff going on.

And Shifty could be wrong.
Even if it's not Hayabusa, we already know it's a 3rd party character from a franchise not yet seen in Smash. We're at the final newcomer. We know what the deal is.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Uhh... Occam's Razor doesn't work on assumptions. Occam's Razor demands that the most logical answer is usually the actual answer. Which is that Sakurai simply didn't consider it important enough to keep
“The easiest conclusion is usually the best.”

Doesn’t make it true, especially when other assumptions are just as easy to make. You’re acting like you can read the man’s mind or something.

Even if it's not Hayabusa, we already know it's a 3rd party character from a franchise not yet seen in Smash. We're at the final newcomer. We know what the deal is.
Geno is a 3rd party. No one said anything about DLC being franchises not in Smash, including Reggie. Nintendo could throw us a curveball.

Last edited:

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Why do people always think this is what was said? The only thing that was 100 percent confirmed was that the fighters pass will be CHARACTERS that are new to Smash. Sure, it seems like it's going to be all from new franchises, but I see too many people take that as an absolute fact when it's not completely confirmed. Reggie only said the new character thing because there were no echoes/older characters in the pass.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I agree, but I am of the opinion that this hurts his chances since IAmShifty was the only major person leaking him and he was wrong about it. That was the only evidence that has truly come out for him. I don't think Ryu is deconfirmed but I don't expect him unless Terry's trailers matches what that 4chan "leak" said.
I can understand that. I´m just flabbergasted that people act as an entire game make him "de-confirmed" as DLC because a game he will be included shares the one word for the latest Smash Bros name is just ridicolus

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Key word “usually”. It’s never correct 100% of the time, is it?

I don’t wanna play English professor for an hour or two so it’s up to you whether or not you agree with that notion.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We already know Geno isn't in the game. The leaks have spelled that out cut and dry. That's not what this discussion is about
We don't "know" anything about the remaining two fighters. A lot of leaks (including some from Nintendo itself) seem to point towards the identity of the fourth fighter, but there's no guarantee, and any claims of who the fifth fighter is seem to be based on anonymous 4chan posts, which aren't exactly a reliable source of information.

It's best to not jump to conclusions and automatically assume the worst.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As far as Smash Bros is concerned Geno is a Mario character.

Except Reggie did say that, and we're at 4/5 of the fighters and all of them have been from ALL NEW franchises.
He never said that, it was a misquote. He said new and unexpected, he never said anything about franchises; this was confirmed and you can check yourself just by watching when he talked about it at the VGAs. He once even said “character that isn’t in Smash” about Waluigi regarding fans wanting him in an interview.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
As far as Smash Bros is concerned Geno is a Mario character.

Except Reggie did say that, and we're at 4/5 of the fighters and all of them have been from ALL NEW franchises.
"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."
Please, tell us where you got Reggie saying new franchises only from that. Characters you would not anticipate does not mean just new franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom