• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
It’s because it had already been making the rounds on her Discord server before she tweeted. Someone dug it up and it got pinned, so there was already a decent amount of discussion going about it.
Ironically enough, I feel like more people are jumping to Hayabusa because of Sabi’s comment that we’d jump to conclusions than if things had just played out naturally

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would think guessing a fighter character would finish off the only fighting/wrestling trailer is not exactly that big of a stretch. I'm pretty sure there are exact text lexts that say the exact same thing about scorpion or a Tekken character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It’s because it had already been making the rounds on her Discord server before she tweeted. Someone dug it up and it got pinned, so there was already a decent amount of discussion going about it.
Plus Ryu's basically the only character that seems to be making the rounds among multiple insiders too. People keep bringing up Doom Slayer but his only point of consistency has been 4chan rumors. He's not one of those that has come up and I've had backdoor access (giggity) for about 10 months now. Granted, no one talked about Joker or Terry either but they also weren't super prevalent in 4chan rumors either. Doom Slayer has turned into a big request but, honestly, there really isn't a lot in his favor compared to anyone else.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I could see Terry or Hayabusa, but both in the same pass just feels weird to me. Not saying that it won't or couldn't happen, but it does feel weird. At this rate, I certainly hope they do a second fighter's pass or additional DLC.

I will say, however that I am absolutely stoked for the dlc discussion to stagnate once more after fighter #4 gets revealed, As we will be disallowed from considering any number of potential characters that don't fit in with the leak du jour.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The thing I don't get is how Sabi thought that people would look back on this 4chan post.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDfUmqfXYAQT3oF?format=jpg&name=large
I don't think it was that talked about compared to the 12th September female leak but I could be wrong.
I think it's because there are plenty of folks out there that screenshot every "leak" that comes up regardless of how valid it looks just so they can start the speculation thread after one of the characters mentioned in it gets revealed. Every detail can be wrong, but if the character's name is right, it was the gospel, they just "had bad information". Broken clock etc.
So from Papageno there apparently some kind of conflict with the SNK character. He's hearing it isn't Terry despite hear from someone else even after hearing Sabi and Verge. Maybe there's some misinformation going around, or maybe... I don't want to say it... but maybe we're getting a Tag Team so it's not just Terry. I refuse to believe this... but it sound so freaking good. Getting Terry, Mai and someone else (I don't know much about SNK characters) would legit be killer.
He must have mentioned this on Twitter or wherever, cause he definitely didn't make a video about it (yet). I think I remember Sabi saying that all the chips were on Terry unless VRPlant spoke up - maybe he did?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I could see Terry or Hayabusa, but both in the same pass just feels weird to me. Not saying that it won't or couldn't happen, but it does feel weird. At this rate, I certainly hope they do a second fighter's pass or additional DLC.

I will say, however that I am absolutely stoked for the dlc discussion to stagnate once more after fighter #4 gets revealed, As we will be disallowed from considering any number of potential characters that don't fit in with the leak du jour.
This is my least favorite thing about this. Now we have to deal with “Well it can’t be X because everyone says it’s Ryu” until fighter 5.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice

I mean i've grown not to trust leaks of any kind after the grinch leak fiasco last year. While i am somewhat willing to follow the SNK one, that's only because we have evidence from an official nintendo site.

I also dislike how willing people are to bash other potential characters in general because they don't know much about them. I'm against the whole idea that any character deserves a spot in the game more then any other. The only reveal i disliked was because i hated the character, not that he didn't deserve it, and smash bros has actually caused said character to grow on me. The only characters that don't deserve a spot are ones who aren't video game characters.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Still rooting for Geno! As it seems likely that it will be Terry and *sigh* Ryu Hayabusa, that does do pretty well to round out the fighter's pass. I'm a little underwhelmed by both choices, but it's still the best Smash game ever. I'm really hoping that the additional free fighter concept is true and we do get Geno, since it seems unusual to include all of the most-wanteds but then glance over him. If anything else, hopefully the Mii costume comes back. I'm still hopeful that we get our boy though - would be an amazing ending and it's a noticeable omission from the game, for sure!!!!!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Either Ubisoft has more specific requirements for depicting Rayman that make him as playable an issue... or Sakurai just doesn't think he's a priority for the roster. I mean, Rayman is kind of the black sheep of the classic platforming icons compared to like Mario, Sonic, and Crash. He's still semi-successful and above a lot of the other trash ones, but he's also kind of an awkward mascot that died arguably harder than any of these other characters. Sure, Crash died too, but he came roaring back without issue. Rayman had two stellar releases that completely failed to gain traction and seem to have doomed him once again (not to mention getting upstaged by the Rabbids again).

Unrelated to your post, it is a little disappointing that so many people are pushing so hard on the Nintendo side of things when there's an absolute treasure trove of amazing third party IPs and characters that could still be included and make the crossover even bigger. Sora, Crash Bandicoot, Doom Slayer, Tracer, Spyro, Shantae, Travis Touchdown, yes Rayman himself. I get that some people are disappointed that the pass has been entirely third party so far and seems to be destined to be that way... but there's genuinely amazing characters that are worth looking at and including outside of Nintendo too (and honestly, just "course correcting" by upgrading existing characters would be the absolutely most boring route to go. Sure, bring in some upgrades, but it can't just be the most mind-numbing checklist of "character that was somewhat well liked during Ultimate speculation getting upgraded...").
I find myself agreeing with like everything you say most of the time. I do think that Crash/Spyro and Rayman would really make the game feel ultimate for us 90s folks, but I get that we are just part of the demographic the games are trying to appeal to.

I also get that just going through a checklist and adding everybody that has decent support would not leave them with many characters for new games and DLC for new games. So I think it kind of boils down to what Ultimate is supposed to be. Obviously it's supposed to be the biggest game so far, but some people seem to get the idea that it's supposed to basically be the last game which I really don't think Nintendo is of that opinion at all. And if Nintendo is not of that opinion of course they'd want to keep some characters in their pocket for future installments. Each game seems to try to appeal both to older gaming icons and newer ones and Ultimate really shows that. They're not just going to flood the game with all our old favorites all in one game unfortunately. What we do have tho is quite incredible.

I will be disappointed that Joker and stage builder will be the highlights of the pass for me if all these rumors pan out but I'm certainly not disappointed in the game at all. I hope we do get more DLC but I don't think there's any reason to expect more fan favorites when the base roster was basically fan service 101 (other than some like Incineroar) and we got Banjo in the pass.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I had this thought before and with your speculation + what you have heard at the dinner table, I could see the 2 more "passes" filled out like this:

-The first pass is Sakurai's Picks. Mainly filling out the "history" of video games in Ultimate. As others have said, Banjo is kind of an exception, but Rare was a big part of Nintendo's history.

-The next batch of fighters would be The Echoe's Pass. Five echo fighters to fill out some of the 16 slots without too much work from the team. Shadow, Black Shadow, Protoman come to mind.

-Then the other would be The Fan's Pass/ Spirit's Pass. Basically, what we, the fans, would like to see. Could easily see the fighters being a combination of Geno, BWD, Rayman, Shantae, Rex & Pyra, Isaac, Waluigi and/or whoever.
I know i am late jumping on this, but you guys did a lot while i was asleep.

I can see an echos pass then a spirits pass. Though the echos pass should be cheaper, since they are exhos. And hopefully they are more like roy to chrom or pit to dark pit echos then just peach to daisy echos. So they are a bit different. Maybe also release them sooner, like 1 a month then start the spirits pass.

If we were to go that route, here are my suggestions.

1. Medusa(Paultena echo) we have no female villains, and Medusa is a bery popular villain. Plus sakurai gets on of his characters in as well.

2. Ms Pac man(Pac Man echo). Syill dont get why tbis wasnt in the base game. Namco bandai deserves another rep and while an echo is not the best it fots, plus ms pac man is quite famous.

3. Impa(Shiek echo) people have been wanting another zelda rep, and Impa is the last reoccurring character in the zelda franchise. Give her eother her skyward sword look, or her warriors look, or both as alts.

4. Black Shadow (Captain Falcon Echo) F zero does need more reps, and this would also be a good way to bring back a lost playstyle. Melee ganondorf os not in the game anymore, so this could bring that style back. Maybe when they do this they also tweek ganondorf as well, and change his down b to be the tennis energy ball attack. Also make it that using the down b in the air lets him float up a bit as he fores it, to assist in his recovery and make him more different from the black shadow echo.

5. Octoling(Inkling echo) i would say shadow for sonic, but we most likely are not getting any at upgrades at all. Splatoon is nintendos newest big franchise so them getting another rep works, and they would be a very simular pit to dark pit style, slower attacks but hit harder.

As for the spirits upgrade pass, here is how i would go it.

1. Shantae. My most wanted, and the biggest indie character to pop in. Would make a great rep for indies amd just in gameplay in general.

2. Andy/Sami. Advanced wars is an underused series on Nintendos end and upgrading their spirit would be great for them. They would also be a very unique gameplay style with maybe a pet based control style with the tanks and fighters they can summon.

3. Rex and Pyra. We know that if their gsme was slightly sooner they would have been in, so this sounds like the best time to add them.

4. Rhythm Girl. I know people think chorus kids are the best but she could incorporate them and more with her style, as she is the mascot of the series basically.

5. Geno. Best way to end the pass is with the big boy geno

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
With what has come out lately I am thrilled that I didn’t buy the Fighter Pass in advance for a bunch of characters i didn’t want (other than Banjo)

I definitely don’t want a second “fighter pass” after this. Give me the freedom of individual character DLC instead

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If you consider the fact that Ryu Hayabusa is in Dead or Alive.

That'd be two fighting game characters back to back. Not a whole lot of variety there.

D

Deleted member

I find myself agreeing with like everything you say most of the time. I do think that Crash/Spyro and Rayman would really make the game feel ultimate for us 90s folks, but I get that we are just part of the demographic the games are trying to appeal to.

I also get that just going through a checklist and adding everybody that has decent support would not leave them with many characters for new games and DLC for new games. So I think it kind of boils down to what Ultimate is supposed to be. Obviously it's supposed to be the biggest game so far, but some people seem to get the idea that it's supposed to basically be the last game which I really don't think Nintendo is of that opinion at all. And if Nintendo is not of that opinion of course they'd want to keep some characters in their pocket for future installments. Each game seems to try to appeal both to older gaming icons and newer ones and Ultimate really shows that. They're not just going to flood the game with all our old favorites all in one game unfortunately. What we do have tho is quite incredible.

I will be disappointed that Joker and stage builder will be the highlights of the pass for me if all these rumors pan out but I'm certainly not disappointed in the game at all. I hope we do get more DLC but I don't think there's any reason to expect more fan favorites when the base roster was basically fan service 101 (other than some like Incineroar) and we got Banjo in the pass.
Unless they're up to some serious tomfoolery, Ultimate might as well be the last Smash. Smash has done exactly one thing consistently and that's get bigger with every release, but by everything Sakurai says and implies (despite being a chronic liar), getting a roster this huge together was an undertaking absolutely unheard of in video games, and a future Smash game will have dramatic cutbacks on the roster. Look at how games like Marvel vs Capcom are received when they make roster cuts, now add Smash fans to that formula and I think you may be able to predict the result. Granted, would I like to see the fluff trimmed? Absolutely. There are characters that I think were wastes of development time (and none of them are echoes), and there are characters I just hate due to playing against them being a chore, but my tastes being what they are, my characters are the ones who'd get cut while literally everything I hate would be left intact. I'd rather have what I love at the cost of what I hate than to have nothing at all.

This is one of the reasons why if Geno isn't coming to Ultimate, I'm done with hoping for it. The game's near perfect and has the potential to be the next Melee in terms of staying power, some kind of well balanced official cross of Project M and Mugen. So, I don't want to hear about Smash 6 (or Smash 7 since Sakurai thinks Smash 3DS is actually Smash 4 and Smash 4 is Smash 5), because without even existing, it's disappointing.

With what has come out lately I am thrilled that I didn’t buy the Fighter Pass in advance for a bunch of characters i didn’t want (other than Banjo)

I definitely don’t want a second “fighter pass” after this. Give me the freedom of individual character DLC instead
...yes you already have that freedom.

Dynamic Worlok

Personally, (though they will never do this) I hope any potential future fighters passes will just announce the characters upfront instead of stringing people along like hungry drug addicts ready to kill for their fix for a whole 'nother year. Smash speculation is an addictive poison.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
So now that the writing is on the wall for the Snes puppet, I'm at the point where I think it's time to acknowledge the very likely possibility that Geno simply isn't feasible for Smash's roster. I mean they didn't even consider the Mii Costume to be essential. That alone tells me that Sakurai considered it's brief appearance in 4 to be "good enough".

IDK. I think I'm just done with this character once we know he isn't being added this game. I mean if he can't get into a 75+ character roster then he's probably not getting into a much smaller Smash 6/reboot roster in 6-8 years.

Dynamic Worlok

So now that the writing is on the wall for the Snes puppet, I'm at the point where I think it's time to acknowledge the very likely possibility that Geno simply isn't feasible for Smash's roster. I mean they didn't even consider the Mii Costume to be essential. That alone tells me that Sakurai considered it's brief appearance in 4 to be "good enough".

IDK. I think I'm just done with this character once we know he isn't being added this game. I mean if he can't get into a 75+ character roster then he's probably not getting into a much smaller Smash 6/reboot roster in 6-8 years.
If you want to give up, that's your prerogative. But I refuse. I've stated that I'll keep pushing for Geno even if sakurai himself states that he won't do it, and I mean that. We all knew there was a possibility that geno might not show up this game, and a good portion of us frankly don't care. Like Ovaltine Ovaltine said: it's time to get loud!

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm... considering Terry being Fighter #4... could we possibly...

stares warily everywhere

get a Geese boss?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
zferolie zferolie I like your lineup! Echoes would have to be a smidgen cheaper and maybe just over them as individual fighters.

As for the Spirit's lineup, why not begin with Geno? Or better yet, just show everyone right from the get go!

Also also...hello ignore button, goodbye all you "lovely" people.

EDIT: YsDisciple YsDisciple GEEEEEESE! I imagine we are getting him as a spirit battle, but the surprise boss fight would be awesome.

EDIT EDIT: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1168886367650119680?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet Tomorrow is the Direct! 40 MINUTES!?!

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
...yes you already have that freedom.
That’s not really what I meant. Of course I have the freedom to buy individual characters and I have been using that freedom. What I mean is the idea of a pass leads us to where we are now. All 3rd party characters with very little variety. By releasing characters individually they would be more inclined to give us Nintendo characters. Pretty crazy idea for me to be asking for that in a Nintendo game

zferolie

Smash Hero
zferolie zferolie I like your lineup! Echoes would have to be a smidgen cheaper and maybe just over them as individual fighters.

As for the Spirit's lineup, why not begin with Geno? Or better yet, just show everyone right from the get go!

Also also...hello ignore button, goodbye all you "lovely" people.

EDIT: YsDisciple YsDisciple GEEEEEESE! I imagine we are getting him as a spirit battle, but the surprise boss fight would be awesome.

EDIT EDIT: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1168886367650119680?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet Tomorrow is the Direct! 40 MINUTES!?!
Yeah echos on their own would have to be cheaper, and maybe telling us all 5 at the start for them would work. As for geno, i just though a last hurrah for them sounded best.

And yup i had a feeling it may be tommorow. And its late too. 6pm for me. That works well. We will find out tommorow then who is right and who is wrong.

How much would everything here explode if it isnt terry and both sabi and Vergeben were wrong?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
How much would everything here explode if it isnt terry and both sabi and Vergeben were wrong?
I would honestly feel bad for Sabi. But that means we would be getting someone else from SNK and the 5th character is still up in the air. Sooo ehhhh?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I would laugh.
Want to know what would be funnier. If it is Dee or Geno. That would just be hilarious.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm making a bold claim. Both 4 and 5 will be revealed tomorrow. Fighter's Pass 2 will be announced at a later date.

4 will be Terry and start the Direct.

5 will be someone other than Ninja Gaiden guy and end the direct.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
sees official Nintendo Direct twitter announcement

breathes

speaks in Geese Howard

"Predictabo.":4ganondorf:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
It makes sense for Nintendo to have a direct tomorrow as leaks are pouring out faster than the Ninjas are getting to them, I wonder if VRPlant will speak soon

D

Deleted member

Full on expecting Terry to be revealed for Smash at the start of the direct tomorrow. I say that because they know that we know and they're probably just going to get it over with and reveal Terry.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Personally, (though they will never do this) I hope any potential future fighters passes will just announce the characters upfront instead of stringing people along like hungry drug addicts ready to kill for their fix for a whole 'nother year. Smash speculation is an addictive poison.
Instead of revealing all characters up front in fighters passes I think they should just do one character at a time and that character is revealed with any additional content they will have ahead of time. Yes the ambiguity is what created the mess but if they were have to revealed the pass characters ahead of time I don't think it would have sold as well. I would have still gotten it because despite what some others are saying there is a lot of variety and different mechanics and playstyles that are getting a chance to shine. I will continue to buy DLC even if I'm not personally all that interested in it because the more we support the game the more chances we may have to get who we want in. I know not everyone feels that way tho and at the end of the day they should present things in a way that will still allow them to make money and want to make more DLC.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I'm making a bold claim. Both 4 and 5 will be revealed tomorrow. Fighter's Pass 2 will be announced at a later date.

And yet somehow theyre going to fill a banjo overview in that as well? Not likely. More than likely we're getting just #4 with the banjo release date.

Also any supposed leaks for the 4th? Anyone got any interesting ones?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I would honestly feel bad for Sabi. But that means we would be getting someone else from SNK and the 5th character is still up in the air. Sooo ehhhh?
Its wouldnt be sabis fault if nintendo was nust played her sources. But if the smash community attacks for for it that would be awful and wrong of them.

Ehh its possible, but i think they will save the last character for the game awards, as well as announce eother the season 2 or just say they will do individual characters from then on

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
guys. no that we know a direct is happening, predictions on games pls.

I think we will see a bit of cooking mama :)

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I think you’re making a lot of assumptions and ignoring the fact that there were very few true newcomers added to the SSBU base game and that the FP is all franchises not yet represented in Smash. A second FP would be very possible at this point as multiple people have pointed out with the open character slots. Notice few if any other people here are throwing in the towel regarding Geno for SSBU at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom